Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

A Long night (open)

Started by Nahashsan, March 14, 2023, 06:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nahashsan

The floor boards creaked as Ariadne walked. Axle could hear him moving around behind him in the shop but he didn't dare take his eyes off Hanvall.

For all his bravado, he secretly hoped it wouldn't come to blows. He talked tough but knew there was always risk in a fight. He was good with his fist but there was always a element of luck.

"So tell me your side of the story, if you are willing to do business why would Sunya say otherwise and what is this about a missing contract." He spoke confidently.

Axle heard the door open and close but didn't know if someone else had come in or if the thing had left. Neither was particularly good. Either he had just lost his backup or gained a unknown player.

Hyacinthus

Hanvall, overly large man that he was, let out a sigh of relief and began fanning himself to cool off, sensing that there was at least some level of rationality to the man before him. "My word," He began, shaking his head in disbelief, "To think that street urchin... good grief. That girl's father and I were former business partners, and yes, we do have an agreement regarding some medicines-- But I've upheld my end of the bargain, and she dares to come barging into my shop demanding that I give them even more than what we agreed to! All I did was remind her of our contract, and then that urchin dared call me-- ME-- a thief. Ridiculous..."

Hanvall seemed genuinely upset at the notion; If he was acting, he was doing a very, very good job of it. While he spoke, there were sounds of a slight ruckus outside; Nothing that seemed to either bother or dishearten the merchant, however. It wasn't the greatest part of town; people tended to get shaken up here and there.

Before long, Hanvall shook his head, filing away a document he'd been looking over before the duo had even walked in. "I'd not get involved with the likes of them. I've no idea what's gotten into her, or her father, to think they can come to my shop and threaten me, but there are bad enough rumors spreading about the slums, and the daemon worshipers-- Better you didn't get mixed up in it all."

Nahashsan

Axle was just about to ask Hanvall to elaborate on the daemons when the ruckus outside picked up.  He turned around and saw that his new friend was gone. "Hold that thought, I most step out side and check on things" with that he turned and left the shop.

Once back outside he noted that the sun had finished setting which meant it was safe for him to walk about without covering up. Looking around he didn't immediately so the source of the ruckus not did he see the creature he had been talking to.

Hyacinthus

"Did you finish your interaction?"

Ariadne's voice echoed forth from behind the man; More specifically, as he'd turned one way to look around, Ariadne appeared from the alley opposite of his facing... coated in red. It was a potentially revolting sight, were someone the squeamish sort; His cloak was now freshly tattered with what appeared to be cuts or tears from short blades, or daggers. Crimson stains coated the outer layer of his outfit, and what appeared to be subtle bits of rended flesh-- or perhaps organs? Dripped lightly from atop and below his cloak. He looked as though he'd just walked through a human blender-- and yet, despite that, he appeared mostly unharmed. A unknown man's severed arm limply hung from his right hand beneath his cloak; His grasp was loose enough that it dangled from his fingers, and dragged against the ground as he walked.

"Were you able to determine the information you sought?" He asked, in spite of himself. Rather, it almost seemed as though he were woefully unaware of how disturbing he looked.

Nahashsan

Axle's hand went to the dagger hanging across his chest.  This man, or thing was dangerous that much was for sure. "Please explain yourself" he managed to get out.  The gore was almost to much to take in but it was the smell of blood that bugged him the most.

It had been a week or more since he had fed on blood and smell was intoxicating. It stirred a primal hunger.

" why did you kill this man" man, men he wasn't sure how many. There was so much gore.

Hyacinthus

Ariadne, meanwhile, stared back blankly at the man before him, as if he couldn't even comprehend the question that had just been asked. For a moment, he held that stare, before his eyes drifted from the pale companion before him to the severed limb in his grasp, still slowly exsanguinating from it's flush tear. From there, he turned to the door, monitoring the trail of blood that had followed him in-- the muddied footsteps of crimson-soaked sand in his wake... And then at the splotches that adorned his previously ordinary cloak.

After a careful, thorough investigation, Ariadne... still didn't understand the question. But he had no reason not to answer to the best of his ability; This human hadn't harmed or wronged him yet.

"This one attacked me, and then I stopped it." He explained, raising his arm-- in which his hand carried an arm-- in acknowledgement of the question. He almost seemed like a wild dog, granted speech in how blatant he was in his response. "Should I not have killed this one?" Ariadne couldn't help but ask, genuinely curious as to where the question even came from.

Nahashsan

Axle had to think about it for moment. While he didn't condone killing he also believed in defending oneself.  Taking a deep breath he lowed his hand away from the dagger.

"If it was in self defense I guess it could be justified but why carry the arm back like trophy and you should clean up if anyone sees you covered in gore they are likely to attack out of fear" he replied. A note of uneasiness in his  voice.

He wondered why this man had attacked. Was this a simple robbery or had he worked for the shopkeeper. He had many questions but few answers.

Hyacinthus

Ariadne paused, listening intently to the man's words. In truth, he didn't fully understand them. He could comprehend the concept of "self-defense"— His original host body held a layer of understanding of the concept— she taught it to him. If another attacks you, then you are allowed to attack them in order to preserve your life.

But...

"...But I have done nothing to cause people to attack me, have I?"

That part didn't make sense. These men attacked him unprovoked. Did they fear him? He looked to his cloak— eying the heavier bits of bile and flesh that yet clung to his cape, before taking the man's advice and scraping off the more obvious bits, and stuffing them into his mouth. Unnatural munching echoed from his mouth as splinters of bone and cartilage were crushed and consumed, and within a few moments, he was... 'clean'. Well, cleaner.

Nahashsan

"...But I have done nothing to cause people to attack me, have I?"

Axle pondered this statement for a moment. It was uncommon for someone to get attacked in such a nice part of town.  "It is strange that you were attacked here. Walk me through what happened step be step, I have guess but I'm not sure."

He had to look away as this creature ate the gore off his robes. It was all a little to much, that had been a living person not 5 minutes ago.

Hyacinthus

"I heard heartbeats."

Ariadne paused, wiping his face clean with his right hand-- which was now suspiciously free of a previously-dismembered arm. He could remember from his original host body that speaking with a mouth that was filled with food, or with food covering one's mouth, was considered rude in human norms. He didn't want to seem rude, after all. "There was yours, and the man you spoke with. There were seven of them. I was looking for them."

He turned to look toward the alley that he'd emerged from earlier, which itself was pained black by the shadow of the shop the stood before, as well as the waning light of day. "When I found the heartbeats, I was attacked. I killed the ones that attacked me, and let the two that did not attack me leave. Is that how self-defense works?" Ariadne asked, tilting his head a bit-- unnatural blue-ringed eyes glowing in the shadow of his hood. He was learning quite a bit today-- it was refreshing.

Nahashsan

Axle looked back up at his companion after processing what he had said.

"I think those were Hanvall's men you killed. If I'm right there will be more coming for us and I would rather not have to fight." He replied.

Just as he was going to suggest they part ways there was shouting down the alley and  the unmistakable swill of a guards whistle. " try not kill anyone else will you" he said as he turned and ran for another shadowy alley near by.

Hyacinthus

"Hanvall's men?"

The concept of humans belonging to other humans didn't quite register to the creature-- and while he had more questions than answers at all that his companion had just told him, it seemed he would not have them-- At a particular sound, his companion suddenly made a swift exit, warning him against killing before doing so.

Ariadne, confused as to why the pale human was running to begin with, merely stood there, quite unsure of what exactly was going on. He supposed he could try the 'not killing anyone else' that his companion suggested, as it seemed killing other humans-- even in self-defense-- was something that brought unnecessary scrutiny toward one's actions... if the pale one's reactions were anything to go by.

Thus did he find himself quickly beset upon by guards of the city, who, rightfully, tracked him to where he stood and began questioning him over his current state-- doused with blood as he was-- before attempting to detain him. This, of course, did not go well... for the guards.

But he didn't kill them. He ripped limb from body, shattered bones with unnatural strength, and even choked one of the human guards with his strange, slime-coated tail-- but he didn't kill them. Before long, understanding that not killing them was only naturally going to draw attention-- and further threats-- to himself, Ariadne fled the location as well-- darting inhumanly into the streets, down dark alleys and into darker holes.

All the while, a familiar woman hidden not too far away from the scene of the incident sat horrified at the entire show that she'd just witnessed-- Fearful for her own life, and the life of her mother, now.

Nahashsan

Axle could hear the guards shouting,  first commands and then in pain and fear. "F@#$er didn't listen" he muttered to himself.  He raced down the alley putting as much distance between him and Ariadne as possible.

The other end of the alley opened up into a market square that was still moderately busy.  He pull up his hood and slowed to a walk trying his best to blend into the crowd.