Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Far From Home

Started by visualspice, August 30, 2023, 09:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Part of her wanted to hit him. But she had to remind herself who she was talking to. She was just a lowly street urchin, a thief.. 

She she settled for just giving him a sharp look for that jab. And also for his lack of any real help.

"I know that," She huffed, still eyeing him sharply- especially since he was now all smiles.

Ansgar's name he had no right to that pretty smile. His mother must've been gorgeous. 

"Do you really think I'd put forth all this effort for information like that?"

Did he already forget she was from Ardal, too? 

Then a soft croak stole her attention as she looked down to where the frog hand jumped onto her shoe.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

Tilting his head a bit, innocent eyes betraying a hint of mischief, Valen carried on-- a bit of a smile still playing at his lips even in the face of his now huffing and puffing companion. She was... surprisingly cute, when angry; Something the young duke hadn't noticed prior to that very moment, nor had felt was a thought even slightly becoming of someone of his station. Yet it was there, in the back of his mind, all the same.

"You want to know even more? Your benefactor must be a particular fan of mine," He teased-- quite the uncharacteristically haughty statement from him, given his typically-low self-esteem. It was odd; he felt... strangely free of his station, when speaking with this woman. As if the weight of the world didn't matter, if only for a little while. He felt as though he could be someone, something, he'd never been allowed to be before. Valen wasn't quite sure who or what that was... but he couldn't deny wanting to know.

"Alas. You might end up having to attend another party at this rate-- Spare me a dance this time, if you would?" It was mostly a joke. After the trauma of the last ball he'd attended, he honestly had quite his fill of social gatherings for a lifetime.

visualspice

She definitely wished she could kick his shin. He was mocking her. The Duke of Ardal! Of all people!

Her cheeks flushed as she just glared at him but... she found she rather liked this type of banter.. this attention and...

She supposed she was actually enjoying this open moment with him as well.

"Maybe I'm the one who's a fan."
She felt her cheeks redden only after the words came out. Stupid insult cane bsck atvher. "Maybe I work alone.. or maybe I'm the benefactor. "

Had he considered that?

But then when he mentioned a dance, she floundered, openly taken back by the proposition.

"I'll dance with you when toads fly  "

It was a childish retort but.. she.. he..

He brought out this strange side of her and she felt.. awkward and hot just then. And just then, the frog seemed to fly (no- leap!) Back onto the Duke's boot.

It croaked lightly, clinging to the shiny leather.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

He, too, was being childish. Quite childish-- he could tell, despite having never so openly spoken with anyone before. Perhaps it was the widening smile that crept on his lips no matter how much he attempted to suppress it-- going so far as to try covering his mouth in embarrassment. Perhaps it was the fluttering of his heart as the young woman before him did her absolute best to play word-for-word with him in so many teasing interactions. Whatever it was, he could tell it was something he could only show-- only share-- with the woman in front of him. Somehow, that made him happy-- in a way that little else in the world had thus far.

The gentle thump on his boot amidst the young woman's response to his jesting caused him to giggle slightly, covering his mouth as he did so. Absentmindedly, he played with one of the many golden coils of his gentle, airy locks as he replied in kind, "Close enough, I think. If only you had befriended our little friend first."

A sudden surge of boldness possessed him as he crossed his arms, thinking for a moment. "Come to think of it, I don't believe you took a hand in dance at the last ballroom... Don't tell me you've not learned to waltz? No fan of mine could ever..." He teased, his face the slightest bit red after embracing her 'benefactor' joke, and trailing off with his implications as if to egg her on a bit.

visualspice

If she had a rock- she'd throw it at his head. 

"That hardly counts! That's a frog, not a toad.  And it just jumped!"

She didn't know why she was so defensive.  But the casual way he just goaded her on she...

Then he went and did it.

"Are you seriously mocking me? Over a silly dance?" Why was she so flustered. "It looks silly enough. I'm sure i could figure it out."

Or just avoid the thing all together. 

The frog jumped away again, into a pile of smashed reeds besides Valen's boots.

Hyacinthus

Valen was being somewhat unfair in his assertations, surely-- but no more (or less) than the young woman before him. To that end he felt uncharacteristically comfortable with going tit-for-tat with her, no matter how petty it might've seemed-- within reason. Leaning in, he merely beamed a bright smile, waving a single finger. "Ahh... so you CAN'T waltz, that's what it is. How unfortunate-- a dance is an art that most any Connlaothian adult knows how to participate in-- But I suppose there are always exceptions to every rule..." He was being coy-- almost gratingly so-- but he wasn't entirely wrong.

Ardal and Uthlyn placed a lot of weight on the ballroom at their upper-class levels. It wasn't uncommon to ask for, or be asked of another for a short waltz-- it was almost like an evening greeting between associates, or friends, when done at the average social gathering. All the more reason to assume this 'benefactor-less fan' of his wasn't raised for the noble life... To say nothing of her refreshingly brass attitude and personality.

As his froggy friend leapt away from him once more, Valen deflated a bit-- but he was still in quite the good mood, as evidenced by the bright smile and tint of red to his face. How long had it been since he'd had such... fun? Had he ever? "I don't mind teaching you, my biggest fan, of course," He explained, almost fishing for equal parts praise and prickliness as he finished, "...When toads fly, was it?"

visualspice

She glowered at him, but a part of her was soaking up the attention like a sponge.

"You?" She pointed at him. "Teach me.." she pressed her hand to her chest. "How to dance?"

Surely he was joking- but something about his eyes..

"Wouldn't it be just a waste of your time? Besides, the festivities start tomorrow. Do you honestly expect to just find rather time for us to fool around over dancing lessons before then?"

Hyacinthus

With a kind, yet mischievous smile, Valen gestured to himself-- much in the way that the young woman had gestured to him only moments prior. More teasing, in a way-- but to an extent, he very much was being sincere.

"I," He began, before pointing to her shortly thereafter, "Teach you..." He then waved his hand in an almost mystical flourish, to overscore his next words. "...How to dance, yes. I'm quite good at it, after all-- I have to be," He explained, almost proud of himself in saying so. The duke was expected to dance. His steps were practically instilled into his mind and body-- seared into the depths of his lithe muscles.

He heard her complaints-- her detractions, her attempts at logic, and he dismissed them in the only way he knew how with her at this point-- by further egging her on. "It's only natural that I do whatever I can for my subjects-- unless, of course... You don't think you have what it takes...?" He pondered in a coy tone, purposefully looking away to incense the woman. Oh, she was getting dance lessons-- He was almost dead-set on it now, in his own way.

visualspice

Vaelyn just stared at him. Joking and fun bantering aside, the sudden well of anxiety made her heart begin a marathon. She tried to recall just how she had gotten herself into this- but her mind kept puttering out as she looked at him.

So she simply scoffed.

"You'd really try to teach me to dance.." and she gestured around them. "In the reeds?"

"There's barely much space and there isn't exactly Amy music.."

The frog croaked again, then jumped back towards Valen's shoe as Vaelyn anxiously shifted her weight about during her complaints.

Hyacinthus

Valen's own heart skipped a beat as he took his antics a step further, riding the wave of excitement that was this interaction altogether. With a courteous step backward, and a traditional Ardallan bow, he replied to her concerns in kind--wagging his finger all the while.

"If you can't even dance in the reeds, you'll never dance in public. That's only natural, I'd say." His logic was... sound, and yet completely nonsensical. It would certainly be difficult for someone who's never danced to dance in either.

With his frog companion echoing his sentiments with a croak, Valen extended a hand, still bowing as he did so. "Our little friend is providing the perfect serenade right now-- No excuses!" He jokingly chided, taking away what excuses she could use as a crutch. Was he always so demanding? So high-maintenance, even? He couldn't recall-- but from the sheer enjoyment he was experiencing, perhaps these parts of him were simply being over-expressed-- a side of himself that only she would ever see.

visualspice

She stiffened instinctively at the gesture, and of him egging her on. However... wouldn't it only benefit her to know this?

What if she somehow had to dance.

With some reluctance, and a huff, she eyed his hand as if it were a toad, before slipping her hand into his.

"Fine." Her eyes blazed a stubborn defiance.  "Teach me to dance, then!"

Hyacinthus

"I knew you'd come around! Very well, let's teach you a thing or two."

Valen practically bristled with joy at the very thought of his offer (read: goading) being reciprocated. He was a bit too beside himself to realize how unusually forward he was being-- and honestly, he was having far too much fun to care. With a gentle motion, he guided the young lady closer to him, closing the gap between the two of them as he prepared her for the waltz of her life.

"Let's start with the slow waltz, shall we?" So enthusiastic about the lesson was Valen that he hadn't yet considered the sudden closeness of their bodies-- or the intimacy of the art altogether. It'd probably set in eventually-- when he came down from his proverbial high. "I'll guide you with my arm-- Take one step, and wait for me to guide you again. Ready?"

He sure hoped so, because he began just moment's later-- leading her into the first, simple step of the waltz. "One step... and one step... and one step."

visualspice

Try as she might to cling to her stubbornness, being so close to the Duke had her mind and heart racing.  Did they honestly need to dance this close? She couldn't look at her feet and was clumsily following in time.

She also didn't remember noble dances being so fast!

But if Vaelyn was anything, she was observant- and a fast learner- and after some awkward stumbling- she began to fully concentrate, allowing the Duke to guide and sweep with her in their waltz through the reeds.

Hyacinthus

And guide her he did-- Valen was no warrior, no great strategist or tactician, but he new his steps in a waltz like he knew his own hands. He was gentle, yet precise with his movements, avoiding over-extending, and waltzing into a repetition of slow, steady rocking steps that almost became hypnotizing in their own way.

"That's it... you're doing well!" In the back of his mind, he was a little concerned about just how uncoordinated the girl might've been, given that she'd not danced before-- but while it took her a little time to find the rhythm in his movements, she did find it-- and before long, she was keeping up pace with him considerably!

He was almost proud!

"How is your first dance, so far?" He couldn't help but teasingly ask, his heartbeat rising as he excitedly lead her through a slightly more complex set of steps.

visualspice

She began to actually feel proud of herself for getting the rhythm down, her feet carrying with time. But then he spoke and her concentration broke and she found herself stumbling and barely catching herself before her face nearly smashed into his.

And somehow their faces were just inches apart- her eyes staring back into his in a moment of shock.

And then she felt the familiar hop as their little frog friend jumped onto her leg.

Hyacinthus

Valen, while not particularly strong, was strong enough at least to support one person's body weight with a little effort-- a good thing, too, as that feat was tested only moments later, with his charge stumbling forth into his arms-- a missed step putting an end to their waltz. "Are you--?" He began, before at long last, he realized it.

They were close. Really close.

A shiver ran up the young duke's spine as he came to the realization that even on that day-- when they'd desperately been running for their lives together-- they were never this close. In fact, he wasn't sure he could recall anyone other than the maids-- certainly no woman of his age-- coming this close to him. His face, as a result, suddenly lit up like a celebratory pyre. When-- when did they get this close!?

His thoughts were interrupted by a familiar croak, as he recalled that despite themselves, they were not alone right now. "A-ahem. Um." He looked away, doing what he could to salvage his very confused heart at the moment. "...You did very good, for your first waltz-- I told you, n-no noble worth their salt can't do it."

visualspice

Thank Ansgar's name he looked away. It gave her an excuse to release the breath she hadn't known she was holding. 

"What about non-nobles?" She found herself challenging. 

Hyacinthus

Valen chuckled a bit at her response, adjusting his posture a bit in an attempt to restore the small space between them. He could only assume she wasn't exactly pleased to be so near, given her tone and overall unwillingness to dance in the first place.

"You'll have to do your best to put on airs, of course!" He teased, having picked up a bit on her less-than-refined background. "My council would have my head if my ballroom partner didn't conduct themselves like a proper noble."

He was mostly joking— His father would be the one who had his head, not his entire council.

visualspice

She gave the Duke a narrowed look.

"Anyone would be able to tell I'm not noble by how terrible my dancing is." How many times would she end up stepping on another's foot. "I should probably keep myself off the dance floor." 

Yet part of her felt.. reluctant.  Although not dancing would be wise, she was rather enjoying herself with the Duke in the reeds.

Another croak snd she looked down at the frog.

"What about frogs? Are they invited to such balls with dancing?"

Hyacinthus

At the mention of their froggy friend, Valen's eyes dotted downward to see it still hanging about, despite their waltzing about (literally) in his territory. What a curious fellow; Almost as if it was drawing amusement from the entire situation.

Maybe it was; Valen for certain was having the most fun he'd had in any recent memory he could recall. "Normally not, but I can make an exception for our new friend. If nothing else, he might be able to give you a couple pointers while we waltz." He mused, mostly joking, though his fascination with animals was genuine.

"That said, to your point, your dancing lessons aren't over just yet! We'll make a proper ballroom lady out of you yet. Now then-- Line those toes back up, shoulders back, match my rhythm-- One, and then, one..." He began again, preparing her as he began to lead them through another set of waltzing steps.