Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Far From Home

Started by visualspice, August 30, 2023, 09:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Before she could protest, Valen was guiding her into another waltz. She was rigid at first, because the man had commanded she stand with better posture (as she was used to slouching and remaining uninteresting) but as they moved about it became harder for her to hide her blush and the smile that threatened her lips.

She wasn't much for smiles.. but.. well...

How could she not? It was a ridiculous scene- a Duke and an urchin, waltzing among the reeds.

"So what is the point of dancing anyway?" She found herself asking as they swept delicately over the water bogged lands. "It's seems too formal to be just for fun.."

Although maybe it was? She was never much for dancing herself- not that anyone would have ever asked her.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

"Well, for... courtship, among other things, of course..." Valen explained, happily leading the duet through a careful, slow twirl amidst the reeds. He didn't address it-- perhaps didn't even realize it-- but his face had openly tinged with a bit of redness at the question, the embarrassing sense of absurdity in having to answer such a thing weighing on the back of his mind. Unlike her, however, he made no move to hide it-- almost as though he hadn't even noticed it. Which, honestly, was true.

It wasn't just because he was having fun. Valen so infrequently interacted with others outside of his role as a noble that he didn't truly comprehend such feelings as lighthearted embarrassment or the ever-so-infamous butterflies in one's stomach. He didn't know what they meant-- though he didn't dislike them in the slightest.

"A noble who can't dance is a noble who can't show grace, or dignity-- to ask for someone's hand in courtship without that much would be a bit of a slight, don't you think?" His words were moreso beaten into him than his own heartfelt beliefs, but he'd never given pause or thought to consider them as anything less than the truth before. Why would he?

No, how he truly felt was... "...But more importantly, it IS fun, isn't it?"

visualspice

Noted his blush only made her blush further. She tried to stuff the sensation away but found she just.. couldn't do it.

All this talk about courtship and propriety...

But no...

No...

She found herself staring at him at the question.

It wasn't about courtship and propriety..

Not here...
Not beside the lake.

She looked into his eyes, really looked into them before letting him know..

"You know you should be more careful. You're not even out here with any guards."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

Valen let out a lighthearted giggle— not nearly the reaction to a potential verbal threat on his life that one might come to expect from a Duke. His eyes twinkled with a mixture of mirth and innocence, a look he'd not held prior... or perhaps the culmination of the ever-building stream of newfound emotions he was experiencing.

"I think it's okay. I feel safe around you, for some reason."

It was such an innocuous statement that he couldn't possibly have understood the ramifications of. How could he, when his entire life thus far had been spent under a watchful eye, or within a painful grasp, or under undue pressures— he barely understood what he was saying anymore, such freedom he was experiencing for the first time.

"Dare I say, I don't think I would mind if it was you. As long as you don't force our frog friend to watch— he's seen too much already, I fear." He was teasing, partly. In truth, at least in that moment, he didn't care— some part of his rational, Duke's mind knew that the joy he was experiencing for the first time was a fleeting thing. Perhaps that was why he was so keen to let his guard down. If it ended right now, he'd at least die happy.

visualspice

At that remark, her entire person flushed.  She had not expected that level of confidence, nor trust coming from the Duke- especially towards a woman such as herself. But despite the fact she could quite honestly be a danger to him.. he smiled anyway.

"Maybe you shouldn't.." she said softly, then she felt the need to tear her eyes away.

"Trust me I mean." She returned her eyes to him, questioning, and before she could think better of it- she added ,"But thank you.. for that. "

She trusted those she worked with well enough but....

Whatever the pair shared here now...
It was vastly different. 

Then she turned her gaze to the little frog. Shr wondered why it hadn't been spooked away. 

Hyacinthus

With a cheerful, joyous smile, a slight blush to his cheeks-- partly due to how winded this dancing practice was beginning to get him, but mostly due to the happiness he felt at the moment, and the wind in his golden tresses-- partially obscuring his eyes, Valen responded in kind. "You're most certainly welcome."

Trust was a fickle, strange thing. It was something people deigned to give out to those who, usually, they didn't expect to betray them. That was normal; You put faith in someone who you believe in, expecting in return that those beliefs won't be used against you. But for a Duke, Valen found that the world worked quite the opposite, at the higher end of the political scene. Trust was a weapon-- a weakness to be used against one's self, if it was freely given.

How many times had he given it away before, at the behest of either his father, his council, or others who dictated his life-- only for it to be used against him in return? He relished the idea of, at least this time, giving his trust freely-- regardless of how it would be used against him later.

He adjusted his arm around the small of her waist as he furthermore proclaimed, "Now, for something a bit more complex-- Just let your feet follow mine for a bit, until you get the hang of this one, okay?" He was not kidding when he said 'a bit more complex'; Shortly after he did, he began to lead her through a series of almost dizzying, circular movements-- with a twirl at the core of the movement. The frog could only watch on with astonishment as Valen displayed a heretofore unforeseen level of dexterity on his feet.

visualspice

Whatever Valen was feeling was openly projected onto her. The bright feeling.. the wonder...
She couldn't help but feel the same as they were openly at play, dancing once again in the reeds. 

This time her heart raced because the steps were quick and she moved in time, trying her best to keep up with him. It wasn't until at the end when she was twirled in a triumphant motion that the thrill all but consuming her. 

But a misstep had her falling into his arms, falling against him as their faces nearly collided. And the entire world went silent as she realized their lips were barely a breath away. And with the rush of momentum and in that intimate place guarded by her stifling powers of sound...

She leaned forward and kissed the Duke.
Because for one simple moment, she allowed herself just to be and ignored thoughts and the entire world. Even if he hated it, didn't want her- it had felt right to take the kiss and lean into it - and braced herself for what might come next.

Hyacinthus

Time stopped-- at least, for Valen.

He should've known to be a bit more careful with his steps as he walked her through the waltz, since just a bit earlier she lost her balance as well, and tumbled a bit. It was dangerous-- especially considering that they were in the marsh, and their steps were stifled by the reeds and water alike. He should've been more cautious of his own positioning as well-- holding her too close was only going to embarrass or earn unneeded ire if something like this happened again, where they ended up mere breaths apart.

He knew all of that, and berated himself accordingly when it happened anyway. He'd gone and gotten too carried away again... to his dancing partner's dismay. He really wanted to apologize-- And yet, in that fleeting moment, when their lips touched, his mind went blank.

A... kiss. It... it was a kiss, right? Surely he should've recognized the embrace the moment it happened... but he didn't. He didn't pull away-- he was far too enthralled by the sensation of oneness-- of being so close to anyone else in such an intimate way. And yet, he... didn't know what to make of it. At all. Pain surged in his heart-- a wound he'd felt had long since scarred over, as he came to the sudden and despair-filled realization that he... couldn't reciprocate. He was too afraid... afraid of death. Afraid of pain. Afraid of being treated like a pawn, like everyone else in his life had done to him. He genuinely didn't know how to reciprocate these feelings that she'd presented him with.

And so, when at last they pulled apart, Valen stared blankly, breathlessly at the woman before him... before a tear fell from his eye. He was... crying? Why was he crying? "I... Sorry... I'm not sure why I..." He tried to explain himself, wiping the heated tear from his face. "That... I... forgive me, I-- That was... very unbecoming of a duke, to... well."

visualspice

And just like that- the silence stopped the moment the loss had ended. Even still, sound thundered inside her ears and panic gripped her heart over what she had done.

What had she done!?

That was probably the single most stupid thing she could have done. She'd never really kissed anyone before and now she went and just let herself kiss the Duke of Ardal of all people!

She saw his reaction and took a step back, giving him some space- as well as herself.  She needed a moment to breath.. to think more clearly because...

Ansgar's name, what was she doing!?

"I'm sorry, that was foolish of me," came her reply, eyes lowered as a fierce blush consumed her face. "I just got carried away."

That was even putting it lightly...
She was tense and alert again, hyper aware of their surroundings as the rasping of bugs and birds alike were a symphony of sound that all but engulfed them- yet somehow the pounding of her heart and sense of dred over what she had just done trumped it all.

"This... was nice," she went on, awkwardly. Ansgar's name! She was a fool! Who just up and kissed a duke!? How could she just do it?

She knew emotions were bubbling up as the two had been interacting...
But why had she actually acted upon it.? Not only was it foolish, it jeopardized whatever it was they had been sharing.

"I enjoy my time with you. You're.. different and don't judge me. " she kept her eyes lowered, ashamed. "But I know my place."

The last bit felt forced out. She had apparently forgotten her place when she dared act upon her irrational emotional- 

And now she made the Duke cry.

"Just take it as a thank you," she added softly, not sure that helped the awkward emotions now brewing between the pair. Then she lifted her gaze. "No one has ever treated me as nice as you."

Hyacinthus

It took a while for Valen to regain his bearings, mentally. His emotions were in a state of turmoil; It was all that he could do to prevent himself from tearing up for a few moments after their embrace. His mind raced to rationalize what he was feeling-- to attack it with logic and prior experience from every angle that he could, in an attempt to push those bubbling-over feelings back down into whatever deep, dark cage he'd locked them away in. It wasn't a battle he was making any traction in, however, until she began to speak.

His eyes had been averted, but the moment she began to explain herself, Valen felt a sense of normalcy-- even if only slightly-- return to his heart. Everything she said-- about how she'd gotten carried away, how she felt about him, about how he treated her... it was odd, but he could feel a strange sense of resonance from her words. As if he himself wanted to say them. More the fool was Valen, of course, who couldn't quite put his finger on why he felt this way, until she at last hit the nail on the head.

No one had ever treated her as nice as him.

In that moment, everything clicked. Well, not everything-- but more than enough for Valen to take pause, before smiling once more, a bit of a blush to his own cheeks that near-rivaled her own. Now he understood what he felt-- kinship. On some level, despite how little he really knew about the woman before him, he could tell... they were the same. "I... I'm flattered. I'm truly flattered." Was all he was able to voice, the strangest sense of butterflies in his stomach.

Did normal, non-noble people feel like this? Like they could just float, when looking at a person they found endearing?

"I'm sorry-- I'm... not very good with these sorts of things. But... I... thank you. For... for sharing that moment, with me." He was more than out of his depth now-- the blush on his face deepening further as he realized how silly he probably sounded. All that talk about the art of the dance being a part of courtship, and here he was... fumbling about. He could just imagine what his uncle would say right about now, were he here.

Honestly, the thought didn't console him in the slightest.

visualspice

What he said... although he didn't outright mock her.. wasn't consoling. But she wasn't surprised. She had been too bold.. too swept up on the moment.

She finally shook her head.

"Just... think of it as a thank you for being so kind. "

It was nothing more.

It couldn't  be anything more. She shifted uncomfortably.

"I should head back." She bowed her head in respect. "Thank you... for dancing with me."

A strange thing.. that he was helping her to spy on.. well.. him.

Hyacinthus

"I--"

Whoa, there, Duke of Ardal. Valen's lips, his voice, leapt forth before he had even realized it-- likely a very immediate and direct reaction to the sudden loss of the sensation of butterflies that he felt moments earlier. There was a gap-- a blink-and-miss-it moment wherein that feeling of floating left him stranded, and his body felt as though it were in a free fall. That moment was so brief, though-- and before he knew it, he was once again on the ground.

Things were normal, again.

"...No, thank... thank you. For..." He didn't have the words readily available to express himself. He knew them, but he also knew where they were-- locked away, somewhere deep within the wooden and cloth chest compartment of the Puppet Duke persona he'd crafted for the sake of Ardal. Guarded by emotional manipulation, under threat of physical abuse. That's where those words were. Perhaps, one day, he'd be brave enough to venture deep, deep down into that forbidden territory, and make an attempt at bypassing those gates-- picking that lock-- and retrieving those words. It wasn't even something he'd considered before now... but perhaps one day.

"...For everything." He eventually managed, giving a proper bow befitting a duke. He also needed to get back soon-- the council would likely be looking for him by this point.

visualspice

The Ardal Rhond Expedition, or the hunt (and its associated festival)- were all the rave in town. Many were gossiping about the arrival of the Duke and how he was yet to be married. Clearly he was an eligible man, though silly as the women were at the dress shop as they were fitting and measuring Vaelyn's curves (or- she felt- the lack there of..) they eventually tutted over her and were working on the sleeves of her garb when one noted how boyishly short her hair was. That clearly the rage was hair down to one's waist atleast.

It took every once of her being not to roll her eyes. Thankfully, her taking on the role of a lesser noble from the countryside made her lack of fashion sense more forgiven- but Vaelyn was already exhausted when they were through. And she still had to attend the event.

Her hair had been clipped back with a series of gemstone encrusted clips and her attire was of rhe current fashion trend- with long sleeves and skirts of a modest variety.

Her chosen dress was a soft lilac and deep purple sleeves and ornamentation. It made her blue eyes seem bluer somehow and she frowned as she looked at herself in a hallway mirror as they were preparing to leave. Who was this women staring back at her? She didn't recognize her own face, especially with all the painted make up over her eyes.

She frowned and continued to linger in the hallway of the event. She wasn't much up for mingling, and it wouldn't due for a lady to move about unescorted.

Of course, once she and Fueno arrived he had all but disappeared. He was truly in his element here. Where as she? She had noted a little side library and slipped inside, staring around the room at all the ornate details and books she couldn't read..

And things she contemplated stealing. Just one candelabra was worth more than her life. 

Just another reminder she didn't belong in this world.

Hyacinthus

The proceedings of the festival announcement went accordingly. Valen, after a bit of rest, a change of clothes, and a re-review of his speech notes, did as he was often expected to do; Stood before a crowd of nameless, faceless people and gave a delightful, heartening speech declaring the event and it's associated fanfare with all the vim and enthusiasm that a young, engaged, bright-eyed duke should be expected to-- all to the great enthusiasm and enjoyment of his audience. He looked the part as much as he sounded it-- Having been fitted and changed into an impressive, silver-embroidered, navy blue doublet, on the shoulders of which sat quite the dignified nobleman's cloak; Lined with tiger's fur that had been chemically dyed white, and embroidered with the noble stallion upon which the Duchy stood for.

His smile, as brilliant as his golden tresses. His voice, a proud, yet gentle beacon of unity and innocence. A better puppet Duke he could not be. It was no wonder that the lower-- and even middle-class women often paid him such awed gazes. People see what they want to see, after all.

Before long, he stepped down from the stage, and as was often the case with these public orations, he was practically swarmed by his adoring public... practically, being the key word. There were more than enough members of his personal council and assigned guard to prevent that from happening as he took the opportunity to slip out of the main hall, his smaller stature allowing him easy-enough egress. There was a small, quiet library chamber that he could use while he waited for the post-speech fanfare to die down.

Why was his entourage so protective of him? After the events that occurred on the afternoon of his appearance at the noble's gathering in Ardal's main estate were investigated and found out proper, public events with the duke had become much of a risk-factor. Ardal was, despite the high morale of it's people, not in a position where it would survive an assassination of it's duke in public, and the council knew that. Even his father, despite... well. Even he knew he couldn't afford to let his son be killed off in public.

As he entered the room, and the silence of solitude fell on his shoulders, his mind drifted back to that day. He'd nearly died... had it not been for a certain spy's timely intervention. It almost seemed as though fate had conspired to see them cross paths, he felt-- for her to save his life, and then... well. He'd pushed the events in the marsh to the back of his mind, not having given himself a lot of time to truly process any of it. Perhaps that was for the best-- perhaps he could do that now, while he waited in silence.

...Or perhaps not, he thought to himself, as his ears-- then his eyes-- caught wind of a very familiar pair of footsteps, belonging to a very familiar figure. Conspiring of fate, indeed...

"Ah, so you were here. I was just thinking about you." Valen near-tactlessly blurted out, revealing his presence. His father had always taught him one thing, and one thing above all else-- complications didn't disappear. Better to simply address them head-on where possible, else they become worse.

visualspice

Vaelyn started, so surprised anyone was able to walk up on her that she nearly knocking over a nearby candelabra. She managed to grab a hold of it, out of instinct rather than anything else, and grimaced as the wax began to dribble forward. 

She hastily righted the damn thing before turning, red faced, to address the Duke.

She narrowed her eyes.

"You startled me." Then she swiftly added. "Why are you in here?" Didn't he have.. well.. an entire city to entertain?

Where was his entourage? His servants? She hadn't seen him left alone even once...but here he was..

And the pair had found themselves alone.

Hyacinthus

Valen, having witnessed the entirety of her reaction, raised his left hand to cover his mouth— an ineffective attempt at hiding the smile quickly blooming across his lips— before falling prey to a gentle fit of chuckles at her behavior.

Well well well. Catching her unawares twice in one setting was an auspicious thing, indeed. And more importantly, funnier with each time.

"Forgive me; I suppose I didn't expect to... well, spy on a spy, per se..." He attempted to explain, as his laughter died down. "A few fortnights past, you'd be right, and I'd be working my way through as many handshakes as I could... but the council has recently seen fit to limit my time in public, to prevent... well."

His gaze cast down a bit, he pondered the right way to broach the topic without opening any old wounds. "...Well. To prevent any unfortunate mishaps. They'd done a little scouting ahead of time, and this library was noted as a fine waiting spot while the crowd died down. Though... not scouted well enough, I suppose."

visualspice

Vaelyn frowned at that.  Had it really been so serendipitous their meeting again would align in such a fashion? And then here he was.. laughing at her!

She folded her arms and glared at him.

"Should a Duke really laugh at his subjects?" She asked, her mood a counter to his giddy demeanor. Honestly.. shouldn't he be too exhausted? When she had to deal with situations with people.. well.

She avoided those if she could- probably one reason that aided her ability as a spy.. her natural aversion of socializing... but when she did have to interact with.. others.. 

Well, it was draining. 

"You might need to hire new guards, because I didn't see any before I came down this hall to the library."

Hyacinthus

Valen did his best to keep his lips covered, and regain his composure; But it was still very clear that he was smiling, if not from amusement then simply from being happy to see his most recent dance partner. With a measured, practiced bow, he replied to her frustrations. "You're right, of course. Please forgive my teasings-- I couldn't help myself."

Internally, he somehow just... felt? No... knew, she wasn't truly upset with him. In spite of that, years of teachings and discipline from his family and-- more recently-- the council dictated that he respond to her with sincerity, as any noble would.

It was still funny.

"On that note, we are indeed alone-- This room is secure enough, for the time being. You know, this would be the perfect opportunity for you, wouldn't it? You could take my life, or hold me hostage for ransom-- no one would suspect a thing, for a time." He didn't make such jokes lightly-- at least, not with everyone. The truth of the matter was that even suggesting such a thing conjured the memory of his most recent brush with death, wherein he was practically helpless. And yet, the person he was joking with did save his life, to be fair.

A bit of self-defeatism, then? Or perhaps he was simply so conditioned to believe anyone and everyone would take advantage of him if given the chance...

visualspice

She stared at him, wary, as he went over a list of things she could do to him. But they both knew none of that would happen. Last time they were alone...

They had danced.

"I'm being serious," she finally said. She was never good at teasing. "I wasn't planning on getting you alone. I only came here to get away from the crowd."

Did he not value his own life? Surely...

Surely he held value in himself. He was a Duke, of all things!

"Besides," she finally looked away, eyes combing the room. "I'm only here to gather information. "

She was a spy, after all.

Hyacinthus

"What better way to gather information than directly from the Duke, in a... somewhat, controlled environment?"

Valen sauntered to a nearby table, upon which a tray of soft, sweet, biscuits sprinkled with cinnamon and a decanter of dark, hot liquid-- likely tea of a sort-- sat in waiting. It was likely prepared ahead of time for him while he waited, with instructions given to the maids by the council to ensure he was accommodated while they handled the fanfare and post-speech statements of the event. They did love to keep their Duke occupied, after all.

He made himself relatively 'at home'; Pouring a cup of the tea, and seating himself near the tray of confections. Legs crossed, back comfortably straight, eyes trained on his cup-- and not the spy in the room-- as he took a lovely first sip of the drink. The warmth of honey, ginger, and sweet herbs soothed his throat, which was still somewhat stinging from the speech. A single lock of brilliant gold fell over his face as he shivered from the warmth as it spread down into his body; A lock that he quickly fixed back into place.

"You know, a thought occurs to me-- you might consider working with me, instead. It would certainly be more comfortable than trying to sneak about in the midst of such an event. I can't imagine you wouldn't benefit from it financially, either." It was a bold statement, but from Valen's perspective, what harm was there in asking? Especially considering... well.