Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Animal Talker and Runaway Kitty (Open)

Started by Anonymous, October 26, 2006, 09:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Vox had come to the city in search of just a bit more gold coins. The innkeeper he’d found to stay at outside the walls was starting to get bored with his halting speech, even if did mean that cows and horses cooperated perfectly. Standing on the edge of the road, he ran his fingers through his hair and stared. Many, many people-shapes were running around and, as always, a  few horse-shapes standing to the side and a runaway dog-shape off in the corner that was shouting for its owner. Even the cat-shape above his head was yelling loudly, wondering why no one would give her fish. Vox bit his lip and took step forward before jumping back when someone came charging through. He’d grown used to the small town and the few animals.

He hadn’t had the money for laundry that morning, he innkeeper’s wife unwilling to give him anything for his explanation of the fact that their dog didn’t protect them because he didn’t like them very much. His clothing was a bit ratty, the bright colors dulled just enough that he’d grabbed a yellow shirt instead of a red one and hadn’t noticed until the innkeeper had mentioned that he looked like a giant lemon with glowing eyes. He had managed to borrow a bit of soap form the stable boy who was eternally grateful for him convincing the oldest horse to stop kicking him

“Anyone need animal talk?� He spoke a bit quieter than he should have, scrunching and wiggling his nose as he looked around the street. It was obvious no one had heard him, which he had almost expected. “Animal talk!� That was yell, one he was proud of at that. “I talk animals, can speak! Make words for them make sense and for you!� He jumped up and waved his arms, startling the cat by repeating the same phrase is her language before following it up with one for the dog. “I talk animals, I talk people! Help make sense of both!�

After a few more shouts he stepped back and waited. People often came as he waited, especially when they saw him speaking with the cat above his head. She was very friendly, although hungry. Vox had to promise her some fish with the money he had leftover to keep her from running away. Soon the cat had curled up on his shoulder and was talking about the winding alleyways of the city while her tail tickled his ear. Vox let himself relax into her self-involved monologue.

But when someone approached him, she leapt off his shoulder and ran. Before the customer could get a word our, Vox went after the poor kitty. “Kitty!� She spoke her name in cat and called out what he hoped most people would be able to identify her as. “Kitty, here come! Back!� Dodging through people and ducking, he continued shouting in common and cat. “Kitty! Kitty!� But she disappeared around a corner and he couldn’t follow the sound of her meows or the faint shape that had been running ahead of him. “Kitty?� He looked around at the people-shapes surrounding him. “Anyone here see kitty? She small and have cat-name only. See her run by, anyone?�

((Yes, his eyes glow. In case someone would notice that. I hope this gave people something to respond to!))

Anonymous

Oathshatter really had no buisness wandering around the city by himself.  He wasn't there entirely willingly, either, as indicated by the fact that his ears were pressed flat to his skull.  A horse--well, they thought he was a horse anyway, the idiots--walking around with only a saddle and no owner attracted attention.  

Everytime someone tried to reach out to halt him, he stamped one cloven hoof angrily and bared his fangs at them.  That usually sent them scurrying away.  Ocasionslly fingers would still brush his silky black hide, and his skin shuddered as he pranced nimbly out of the way.

They're not this touchy touchy with each other!  Ugh!  Can't I just go about my own bloody buisness in peace?  Hello, cloven hooves!  Silver eyes!  FANGS!  Not a horse!  Not a--HEY!  HEY!  Don't touch the tail!  Goddess tits, do these people have no respect?  I--ack!  A cat darted right between his feet and he half-reared in surprise.

Not you too!  He whirled around and watched her go by with a violent snort.  Gods be damned, I need to find Farli and get out of here.

As he heard someone calling out for the cat, he turned around slowly, his ears pricked towards the sound until he located them in the crowd.  She went thank way, he said casually, pointing in the proper direction with nose muzzle.  He didn't really think the boy would hear, but Oath was tired of talking to himself all day.

Anonymous

He paused on the street as he was ignored by the people-shapes, watching them walk by. Tugging on his sleeve and slouching slightly, he waited to see if anyone would respond. When the horse-shape approached him, he perked up slightly. Any animal would be easier to speak with than the common tongue the people spoke. He heard a few of the complaints and set his hands at his side as still as he could keep them.

Vox nodded at the horse-shape, doing his absolute best to follow the point of the muzzle-shape. Pointing in the direction he was fairly sure it was pointing, he blinked. Thank you! I couldn’t see where she went after she turned the corner. Can you see her anywhere on the street? I really can’t. Tilting his head, he glanced down the street as though a cat-shape would jump out of nowhere. He was pouting slightly as he stared down the street. If he’d had longer ears they would have drooped down, How far is she? the poor kitty needed fish. She hasn't eaten in a while!

Anonymous

((Amber to proofread posts better, for thank is not that.  Oh well.))

She seemed to be in quite a hurry.  His nostrils flared as he half-turned in the direction the cat fled, head held high.  I think--well, it's hard to say.  All these pople in the way.  We can go this way, though, and I can look while you call for her.  Having only come into the city to complain to Farli that he was bored and lonely, she was quickly enough forgotten given this something to do.

The thought that having someone with him might make people leave him alone cheered him considerably.  

With a swish of his full tail, he wheeled around on his hind legs--sending people scattering, oops--and started off in the direction the cat had fled.  Come along!

Anonymous

Oh, that’s perfect! Lead the way! Vox took off after the horse-shape as rapidly as he could, ducking under and around people as he did. It was easy for him to run between the people-shapes. Almost kicking off a wall to make sure that he didn’t trip over a smaller people-shape, Vox quickly fell into the empty space behind the horse-shape that lasted just long enough to him to catch up. Do you see her?

“Kitty! Anyone see kitty? Kitty hiding!â€? He was shouting and waving at the people-shapes around them, sure he was getting some of their attention. A few glanced his way and a few even pointed to where they thought they’d seen the kitty.  â€œSee kitty, yes? There...â€? He continued to follow the pointing fingers and the horse-shape. “Kitty go running by, yes?â€?

Are you sure you still know where she is? Cats are very good at hiding and stopping quickly. Vox was starting to get a little nervous, running down streets he hadn’t ever seen before. And she was a very smart cat.

Anonymous

Oath's head snaked down low to the ground, as he followed the cats scent as much as anything else.  His senses were much sharper than a hroses would be, for hroses did not have to hunt for their food as he did.  Still, scent trail was elusive in a city.  He still often lifted his head nad peered over the crowds that way.

I'm pretty smart myself, Oath said with another soft snort.  He hadn't lost her yet.  Nearly, perhaps...but not quite.  She should hole up eventually.  All we have to do is get near there, and we should be able to find her.

Most of the crowd parted before him, not willing to get in the way of the beast, even if he wasn't exactly a large one.  Anyone else he nudged gently out of the way.  Kitty kitty kitty...

Anonymous

Vox nodded looking around. She seemed to like higher spaces in the trees and on the building. I think that is where she will go to hole up, at least for a while. She is very a very good climber! That was what one of her nicknames meant, at least.

Following the horse-shape through the crowds of people-shapes was a bit unusual and a surprising amount of fun. People had never spread for Vox before in his life, never given him a clear path unless it was the middle of the night. And then no one was out but the villains and they didn’t like the way his eyes glowed.

“Kitty! Anyone seen kitty?� Vox bit his lip for a moment, thinking on the common tongue seriously to remember the right words and the right order. “Has anyone seen a… running kitty?�

Anonymous

The building Oath spotted on his left had seen little use of late.  It also stretched a couple of stories up, and from the looks of it, it would not be hard for little kitty feet to climb the crumbling exterior decorations.  Where she'd go from there he had no idea--cats had strange minds--but there was no harm in checking this place.  

Likes to climb, eh?  Again he lifted his delicate, dished face and he turned his head to the side to get a better look.  Places like this?  Kitty kitty kitty...  He actually made he way to the side of the building and reared up, lightly resting his cloven hooves on the wall and straining his neck to look up higher.

Anonymous

Vox stared at the building, trying to make out any lump or bumps on the shapes and shadows he could make out. Very much like this, I think. “Kitty?� He hopped up and down slightly trying to see higher. Even with the hopping he couldn’t see very far at all. It was time for a different tactic.

He closed his eyes and listened. All the footsteps and people shouting didn’t help much at all, but he could certainly try to hear what was going on above his head. The faint sound of scuffling rocks and a tiny, tiny meowing plea of help whipped his eyes back open.

The cat’s up there! At the very top, I think, She’s climbing on the edge and got stuck because the windows are boarded up. Vox looked around wildly and found the door, trying to pull it open. It’s locked!

Anonymous

Oath eyed the door a moment.  Back away.

He turned away from the door and then ducked his head between his knees, lashing out with both hind feet in a violent kick.  A  few more solid blows and the door's rusty hinges failed and it fell inward.

Locked schmoked.  Brute force wins the day.  He prnaced slightly and tosses his head, clearly pleased with himself.

Anonymous

Vox stared for a moment before lowering his head and closing his eyes. It was something of a bow, the best way he knew of showing respect. Thank you! That’s great!And he was off running.

Up the stairs, to the right and around a corner where he heard the sound. Vox leaned out the window, staring around. “Kitty!� Kitty! I’ll get some fish for you! He was shouting as loud as he could, earning a few odd glances from the street below. But when a faint cry of help greeted his yells almost instantly, Vox squeaked.

I’m here, kitty. In the window! Just a few more inches… The kitty was quickly in his arms as he slid back into the building, pausing to snuggle the furry bundle before running back down the stairs. I got her, I got her! She’s okay. But I did promise her food.

Anonymous

You can't break promises about food, Oath said solemly as he returned with the cat.  So!  Where does one get fish in this place, anyway?  He glanced back over his shoulder.  There's a market here somewhere.  So they must sell fish, yes?  I don't like fish, but my friend does.  Actually, she likes just about anything....  He trailed off, suddenly reminded of this other obligations.  Oh.  Well.  Farli could wait a little longer, couldn't she?  Sure she could.

I can fish, you know, He said with some pride.  If the water is shallow enough, that is.  I spent a lot of time watching bears fish one summer...  Oath seemed to preen, though just then yet another person seemed curious as to why there was an apparently loose horse in the city...

He snorted and danced closer to Vox, ducking his head behind him as if that made him invisible.

Anonymous

Vox paused for a moment, looking around. The cat settled quietly onto his shoulder, wrapping his tail around his neck and purring. “Yes sir?� He tugged on the sleeve of an older man standing nearby. “You know… where get fish, yes?� His smile was bright and cheery, although a little nervous as the taller man turned his eyes down onto him.

“You stupid or something, kid? The market’s two streets down. But don’t expect to do much bargaining talking like that.� With a snort the man turned away again, stomping into the crowd as a few of the younger members shook their heads and tut-ed at both his reactions and Vox’s speech.

“Thank, sir!� Still grinning, Vox turned around and back to Oath. The marker isn’t too far away. But I don’t have much money right. That’s why I came into town. Do you know if there’s a place to fish here? I used to fish often on my fathers farm! He clapped his hands, startling the kitty and quickly moved to calm her. If not, I do have enough money for something…

Anonymous

Oath briefly contemplated biting the man for his comment, but he was away in the crowd before he could do anything more than pin his ears.

I don't know if there'd be any place to fish inside the city.  If so, there's no saying what the fish would be like.  City water can be dirty.  I...don't know the city well though.  We just got here, and I was supposed to stay outside, but I got bored...

Anonymous

Then I think we’ll have to go to the market. I don’t come into town too often. Small towns are much nicer. But there are fewer people who need to talk to their animals. And they don’t need much after a few times. Vox began to follow the given directions, moving around the few people-shapes that didn’t move out of the way very quickly.

It’s not exactly boring outside. But it’s not very exciting either. With the market in sight, Vox began to go through his pockets. There was very little money there, certainly not enough for a real dinner. But the shouts from the market indicated he might be able to buy a small piece of fish for the kitty with what he had on him. Do you think your human-companion would need assistance communicating with animals? Or would they know any others who may?

Anonymous

Oath watched the boy rummage through his pockets.  He rather thought that Farli wouldn't mind parting with a few stray coins to pay for a fish or something for the boy himself to nibble on, but didn't mention that just yet.

A lot of people don't want to know what their animals think.  Only the ones who care, he observed as they made their way to the market.  As to my lady Farli--she doesn't need such help, no.  She can hear me, and I understand her well enough.  Besides, she can run on four legs of her own if she's of a mind to.  And we don't really know anyone here because we're not really supposed to be here ourselves.  Landed hereabouts by accident.    He kept flicking his ears about, listening to the sounds of the city as he walked behind the boy.  He was half-listening for Farli's voice, in case she was nearby, but didn't see any sign of her.  

Outside is boring if you have to stay near the gate, he added almost absently.

Anonymous

That’s how I make my money. If everyone was a as good as your lady-companion, I would have no way of keeping a room in an inn or even food in a kitty or my own stomach. Vox nodded, looking out across the marketplace and jangling the money in his pocket for a moment. I do have enough for a piece of fish. And the rest of the day to make enough for the inn room and dinner. with that determined confidence in his mind, he quickly wove his way through the crowd to a small fish stand.

“Sir, have fish yes? Will pay!� His intent stare and odd grammar earned him a very odd look from the shopkeeper. “Please. I have coins. I will pay. I need fish… for my… kitty.� The last sentence was slow and almost struggling as he spoke, nodding as though remembering the words from a different language. Finishing awkwardly, he jangled the coins in his pocket. “Yes?�

The shopkeeper sighed. “Fine. Two gold pieces for a piece of smoked fish. 3 gold for a piece of fresh and 5 gold for a whole fish.� Far higher prices than he would have quoted anyone else, but the boy seemed like a bit of an idiot.

“Gold? Not gold.� Vox shook his head. “Copper yes maybe. Not gold.� He pulled himself up to his full and utterly non-impressive height which was not helped by the purring fluffy kitty on his shoulder. “No one stupid pay gold for fish.�

Anonymous

Oath stepped up right behind the boy.  While Vox might now have been intimidating, Oath could be.  Sure he was small as far as horses go--a couple of inches shy of pony height, truth be told--but it was his strangeness that he held in his favor.

Oathshatter carefully considered the fine line between getting the merchant to agree to a cheper price, and having him run them off.  Of course, there was a reason he wasn't a diplomat...

Oath arched his neck, eyeing the merchant with a look that seemed to drip disdain.  He blinked his silver eyes slowly, then leaned towards the fish, nostrils flared.  He sniffed them, then pulled back with a snort and shook his head, lips pulled back briefly to reveal the teeth and fangs of something that was definitely not a herbivore.

Oh please.  So not worth gold.  It's fish, not fine beef.

Anonymous

Not even silver Vox shook his head, ignoring the very odd look the merchant-shape gave him. He’d grown used to the odd looks. They never changed from the looks he got for his eyes shining in the dark to the looks he got for speaking with the animals. They weren’t exactly a big deal.

“No gold. Pay copper.� He held out two copper coins. “Fish for the kitty, yes now! Two copper. Maybe three, if very good fish.� Holding up fingers as he counted, he stuck the other coppers and the silver back into his pocket. “That all.�

The merchant glared at him for a long moment before glancing back at Oathshatter’s teeth. “Fine! Three coppers.� Still glaring furiously, he accepted the three coppers and handed Vox a small piece of fish. “There. Now get away!�

Vox bowed his head and sprinted off towards  side alley to get away from the increasing crowds of people.

Anonymous

Oath followed Vox nimbly, irritating a few other passerby in the process...but not too many people wanted to take up manners with a thousand pound animal.

He doesn't seem interested in repeat customers.  The stallion rolled his eyes and snorted.  Silly merchants.  He swished his tail and watched Vox idylly, slowlyshifting his weight off one hind leg until he was standing entirely hip shot.  He looked very little like any sort of battle steed at the moment.  

Will the kitty be happy now?  What will you do now?  I should probbaly try to find Farli...  He ducked his head, ears slightly back in a hangdog expression.  I don't want to upset her, in case she comes back and finds me gone.