Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Inactivity

Started by Anonymous, May 27, 2007, 08:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Is it just finals and everything, summer off to a slow start, or is there this severe lack of activity around here? There's only about one new, open post a week and they're seldom replied to until days, weeks afterward, though there are plenty of people joined to the community.

Maybe it's kinda weird to suggest this, but maybe posting should be encouraged through activity time limits. For instance, some RPs require at least one post every one or two week(s). Good idea, or are things just slow due to the time of year?

Just throwing that out there.

Anonymous

I've been thinking about this. It sounds like an awesome idea, but since some people may be offended if they're booted off (because "they were actually doing something important") I didn't mention it. ^-^;; I's such a wuss.

Anonymous

Well, it's not to say that you can't always hiatus for a couple of weeks on the sort of system I'm suggesting, but disappearing without giving notice is way not cool. If you have something important to do, or you're going on a trip for a week or so, all you have to do is say. It's just that it might be a lot better if people felt the need to actually finish a scene due to some rule rather than maybe-maybe not deciding to finish one on and off because it's common courtesy. I mean, I'm kinda bummed when people just stop replying because they got bored, and I don't want that to start happening here too.

Anonymous

-cough- I know that this is the end of school period, and Final's are going on, so that has a major reason behind it also.

Anonymous

There is a thread for saying you're going away/coming back. We encourage people to post there if they're going away, but, I don't think we're going to take the 'you must post at least once every two weeks,' because this is for fun, something to do in spare time when you're bored. Why threaten people to do something they don't want to if they're bored with it? It's your job as the other person in the thread to poke 'em and ask 'em where the heck your dang post is! ^__^

Anonymous

I guess so. It's just seemed that every now and then a place will totally die due to this mentality. I'm used to willing activity, but what can you do when there is so little of it?

Perhaps it'll improve within the month as finals and things are over with. :3

Anonymous

I was under the impression that SotE has been around since about 2000, so I don't think it's going anywhere due to inactivity any time soon.

Anonymous

I do think finals and school, and life in general, have a lot to do with inactivity right now. It's the same every year on just about every RP. People get stressed out with finals, and having to study for their huge tests, and they tend to have less and less time to get out a lot of posts. But, once summer hits for everybody, activity goes shooting up again. It happens everywhere. So, I wouldn't really worry, just maybe hold out for summer ^_^

Like Twitchy said, SotE's been around for a long time, so I'm pretty much certain it's not going to be disappearing anytime soon ; )

Anonymous

Yeah. SotE isn't going anywhere. And Rhi holds activity checks so that clears off anyone whose been inactive. It's not much of a hassle to rejoin anyway, so if someone WAS away, they can just rejoin and no harm done.

But yeah. Through the school year activity drops a little with small perks, then hits a dry spot at the end of the year, but shoots up in the summer. But that's how every rp is. Kinda annoying if you're looking for posts, but yeah.

Rhindeer

Yup! What everyone else said. x3 Every RPG tends to get slower during certain times of the year...and I swear I should make a page for SotE all about this yearly cycle so newer people don't get worried about it, because it's a question that always comes up during this time of the year. xD But yeah, don't worry! The site has been around for almost 6 1/2 years now and every year the exact same thing happens around the same times. The site's not going anywhere though, that's for sure!

I just say it's the time of the year when you need to seek out the people who aren't bogged down with finals and band together. xD I mean, poke the people who aren't posting, and at the same time, a suggestion I have is to create more characters so you can post them with the people who aren't all bogged down. That way you can still continue your slower threads, if at a slowed down pace depending on how much the other player can be on, and at the same time you can participate in faster-moving threads with more active people.

That's what I do. x3 I have a lot of characters...but I don't play all of them ALL the time. Some of my characters are with busier players, people who can't post a ton, and some of my characters are with the really active people who can post more frequently. It's a nice balance, and it all works out! And that way, well...I'm never starved for postcrack. xDD *ahem*
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Si! And sometimes she tends to forget when Rhi has a post that my poor Loki is waiting on.... -coughhackiluffyouanywayxDDDhackdie-

-whistles and trottles off- I'll post with you!!! ... If you start it. I have at least four other places I owe right now... check on the stat page in my funky siggie, and I'll make a stat page for you if there's not already one!!!!