Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In This Corner... (Continued from Palace)

Started by Anonymous, June 25, 2007, 10:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It took all of thirty seconds for Charmeine to charm her way past the brutish fellow taking the money. Men were such lustful creatures; it was all too easy to have them running to do her bidding with a smile and some heavy breathing. She wasn’t quite sure what hit her first upon entering the arena stands, the noise or the smell. The crowd was cheering loudly at what Charmeine expected were the competitors down in the pit. Looking at the crude wooden stands full of sweaty men that stood â€" barely â€" around the dug out hole that was the fighting ring, the pungent smell was hardly unexpected. The floor was rough slate, becoming stone near to the pit, rough granite that created solid walls and formed the tall pillars in the arena, for the fighters to hide behind she supposed.

No one had noticed her yet, all eyes being focused on the fighting, but as soon as she stepped forward and began to hunt for a seat near the fighters eyes began to follow her. It appeared that she was to only woman present. Gulping and trying to ignore the jeers and lewd suggestions that followed her Charmeine scanned the front rows, consciously trying to avoid walking in her usual, swaying manner. A knife suddenly flew up from the arena and struck a man on the end of the front row in the face, killing him instantly. She gaped at where it had come from. The dagger had bounced off a large, no huge man like creatures armour. The beast swung its weapon and crushed the knife thrower against a wall.

Charmeine positively leaped to the right as the body of the spectator collapsed and brushed her leg on its way down. She felt solid hands close around her tiny waist as she was still gaping at the body, picking her up and the plinking her back down again. She sat now with two large men, friends apparently, one of whom had just placed her in that spot.

“You can sit ‘ere sweetheart,� growled the man who had picked her up. Both of them were looking at her and grinning. On the plus side the rest of the crowd, while some of them were still looking, had apparently decided that she was not worth the trouble if these two had claimed her.

“Uh…thank you.� She managed weakly.

They grinned even wider.

Fifteen or so minutes later Charmeine was still sitting there, watching the giant rip apart victim after victim. She waited, while her charge apparently stayed still. The worry of her charge, Beatrid rather, having to face the armour clad monstrosity had almost let her forget the fact that the men on either side of her each had a hand playing with one of her breasts. She was utterly embarrassed, and felt abused and violated, but she kept reminding herself that there was no other choice. These two were the only thing keeping the other men off, and they would surely do far worse to her. As it was, these two seemed content to protect her as long as they each could fondle her while watching the fighting. She gripped her leather bodice in her hand at her side, which they had made her remove. They had also made her part her sarong and leave her legs open for them to look at her crotch. All for the greater good. All for the charge.

Her heart leaped when she felt Beatrid move again, getting closer to the arena. She lingered at the door for a moment, waiting to be admitted, the as the gates opened Charmeine saw her charge for the first time, and felt a sudden surge of need to reach her, just to touch her. One touch would make the implanted tracer disappear, and the longing along with it.

It frustrated her to no end to see her charge, or rather the rather silly looking man who was with her, fighting the beast. That man…he seemed able to perform acrobatic feats that no human, for that matter no demon, could do without magical aid. Perhaps Beatrid didn’t have magic nullification abilities after all.

She seemed to be doing alright for herself, but Charmeine couldn’t help but feel utterly useless sitting there being groped with her legs spread to the world, and more immediately to the intently watching men in the nearby parts of the stands.

Still, she bided her time, waiting for the opportune moment to escape her captors and join her charge. Hopefully that wound be after the giant creature was dead.

Rhindeer

It wasn't Beatrid's fault, really. She had been thinking of this as a tournament, and even if it didn't have rules usually there was at least a signal given to start the match. She didn't know just walking into the arena was the signal.

However, Beatrid was also a quick learner, and even if she'd taken her eyes off the giant for a moment her reflexes were honed and heightened under the influence of the drug--and it also helped that a creature that big and bulky couldn't exactly move silently, so she had warning. She jerked back to attention with a curse, turning to face the man, and she smoothly drew and cocked both pistols at the same time a knife arced through the air to strike at a weak spot in the armor--one of the exact areas she had already noticed. The joints were vulnerable; the armor parted there to allow the guy to move. But if it had been her choice, she wouldn't have gone for the arms, but for the legs.

Which was what she planned on doing. Maybe she should aim for the weak spots around the neck, but she didn't plan on killing; she just didn't kill where it wasn't needed, and she wasn't going to kill just for the sport of it.

Beatrid wasn't immobile as Kuro did his crazy acrobatics and she didn't pay much attention to him save to acknowledge that he was doing a good job of distracting their opponent, who seemed to have a one track mind. Darting backwards, not daring to let the man out of her line of vision and keeping both pistols fixed on her target, she put some distance between them and slipped behind the thick pillar that was across from the one Kuro was currently on top of. While the giant bellowed at Kuro, she aimed around the pillar and waited for him to move, watching his legs and the way the armor moved and was connected. Then when he shifted, she caught sight of an opening; the armor parted just a little at the outer thigh where the leg met the hip, and in a second she had that small target lined up with both pistols.

And began to fire, her aim dead-on.

She didn't like fighting at such a distance, it felt horribly awkward, but with someone <I>that much larger than her she really had no choice. Distance would be her advantage here, not brute strength, and the pillar would offer her some cover. Of course, a swing of the hammer could probably bring it down, but it wasn't like she planned on standing still.

Unfortunately for the woman in the stands, she was unaware of what was happening. But if she found out...yeah, those men would be dead men.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

The giant raised his hammer, still enraged about Kuro, ready to strike down the pillar the dark Mordecai stands on, when...
BANG!
"ARHHH!!" The giant yells out in pain, dropping to one knee while loosing grip of his hammer completely. He brings his already bloodied hand to his wounded thigh to feel for the bullet hole as more rounds strike around him and pelt his armor.
"YOU BITCH!" Another holler is thrown out from the giant. This time, it's at Beatrid. He shakily stands up and lifts his hammer into one hand. The monstrous man begins to charge in the femme sniper's direction as Kuro swiftly unsheathes his katana and leaps off the pillar. The former assassin lands in the giant man's path and raises his blade to about his own shoulder level and holds a tight grip with both arms. With the giant's lumbering momentum and Kuro's prepared footing, the large man collides into the ex-assassin. This movement forces the blade to be lodged through the armor and into the giant man's chest. It also pushed Kuro back enough to where one of his heels is up against the pillar behind him.
Giving no time for recovery, Kuro releases his lodged sword and reaches behind his back to unsheathe a dagger. with a quick motion, Kuro throws his arm up to knock the giant's helmet off. At the same time, the dagger he held had left a deep gash along the large man's chin. The dark Mordecai finally leaps up onto the pillar behind himself as the giant brings both hands to his chin and begins to yell in pain. No vulgar names thrown out this time.

Rhindeer

[This is gonna suck, but I'm distracted and in a hurry. xD]

That man should have been dead when the sword slid through his chest, but instead he just kept on going, obviously either high on adrenaline, the blade had miraculously missed any organs and bones, or he was simply not as human as he looked. Not that he even really looked human considering he was eight feet tall and all. But no, instead of keeling over dead or in massive pain, he just kept on going, and genius Kuro lead the bastard right to the pillar she was currently positioned behind, hammer and all.

On the plus side, Kuro also knocked off the guy's helmet and distracted him with that cut to the chin, and Beatrid acted without thinking or hesitation, running purely on instinct and training at this point. As soon as the man had yelled that expletive, as soon as he'd started charging toward her with that hammer, thought left her, along with any thoughts of morality and honor, and only the adrenaline, her training, and the drug pumping through her veins remained, screaming at her to kill him before he killed her. If it weren't for that drug, things may have been different; she may have remembered that she didn't actually want to kill him, she may have remained more calm and in control.

But as soon as that helmet was off, she shifted her aim from his joints to his face and, heart in her throat, she pulled the triggers.

Blood exploded from both of the man's eyes as the bullets drove home, bone, brain, and blood spraying out from the back of his head. Unless he was completely inhuman, and even if he was, he wasn't bouncing back from that one.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Kuro's eyes widened when the interior of the giant man's head exploded out the back of his head. The dark Mordecai quickly turned his attention to Beatrid as the enormous corpse hit the ground hard, causing it to shake slightly. This causes Kuro to lose his footing on his pillar and slip off. As if he always had the grace and agility of a feline, the ninjesque Mordecai quickly regains himself and midair and lands on his feet, directly in front of Beatrid. He didn't mean to, it just happened.
Without an exchange of words or anything, Kuro turns away from his comrade and walks to the giant man's corpse and pulls the sword out of his chest. Without wiping the blood off, Kuro sheathes the katana and continues to walk towards the exit of the arena. From there, he would make his way to his specified waiting room, number 13. The mess will take a while to clean up before the next match takes place.

Rhindeer

Beatrid was panting hard and staring at the place where the giant had once stood, her hands trembling slightly around the pistols. Oh...fuck. Had she really just done that? The guy was dead, there was no mistake about it...shot through both eyes, a feat doubted she would have been able to pull off if she didn't have the aid of the drugs. Her aim was good, but it wasn't that good, but...shit. She hadn't meant to kill him. She hadn't wanted to actually kill anyone here, only incapacitate. That had been pure reflex.

She'd just killed someone in an illegal fighting ring.

Her mind quickly worked to justify it, though; he was a criminal, and from the bloodstains on his club, he'd killed or at least brutally injured quite a few people here. He'd been about to kill her.

Yeah...it was justified. This mission was justified, too. She had to get inside the ring to see what was really happening for herself. Yeah...

When Kuro landed in front of her, that snapped her out of her shocked reverie and with a jerk she pointed both pistols at him, just a finger-pull away from firing a shot at him. But then her eyes focused and she recognized him, and she quickly loosened her grip, lowered her arms, and rolled her shoulders to ease some of the tension out of them. Shit. As helpful as this drug was, it was dangerous; the jumpy reflexes...she could have done without those. She didn't want to end up accidentally shooting a partner just because they tapped her on the shoulder unexpectedly.

Watching Kuro pull the blade from the man's chest as she caught her bearings and let the adrenaline recede, she grimaced when he sheathed the sword--without cleaning it first. Eugh. That...was pretty nasty. The metal would get all gross, the sheath would be filthy...jeez, he could have wiped it off on the dead guy's shirt at least. But Beatrid said nothing, only took another deep breath, twirled her pistols, and shoved them both back into the holsters at her belt. Well. Alright. Now she knew what to expect from these battles. Literally anything went, including death. Alright then.

She'd be ready next time. No need to feel guilty about this. They were all bloodthirsty criminals.

Not even sparing the giant another look, still working on cleansing her conscience, she headed out of the collosseum and back toward the waiting room, number thirteen. And with every step she took, the shakiness began to wear off, the horror at what she'd done began to vanish, as a new realization dawned.

Kuro hadn't interferred for once. He hadn't tried to "save" her. She'd brought that giant down, <I>she been the one to deliver the finishing blow, and damn if she hadn't done a good job of it, either! How many people could pull off a shot like that? Heh! Not many, she sure hadn't heard of it being done before! And who cared if she'd killed the guy? He was scum. What difference was there between killing scum in the line of "official" duty and taking someone out on her own? He was still a criminal, with or without the official orders. If the higher ups knew about this place, they would have just given her the orders anyway.

By the time she'd reached the room and pulled the door open, she was grinning a little, her back straighter and head higher. With a smile at Kuro, she crossed the room and threw herself onto one of the sofas, stretching out across it and propping her booted feet up against one of the arms.

"Well that was fun, I'll admit," she commented conversationally, folding her arms under her head and leaning back against the sofa's other arm, crossing her legs at the ankle. "Heh! And whatcha think of that shot? Not many can pull that! See, Kuro? Toldja I'm a big girl. Well. Little bitch with a big shot, rather," she boasted cheerily.

Yeah. She'd shown him.

Anonymous

"Which is why I'm starting to feel a little concerned. That wasn't you out there, Beatrid. I know it and I'm not sure if you know it." Kuro's voice crossed the room to Beatrid as he remained leaned back against the wall on the other side of the room. He had calmly waited for her to finish with her boasting before speaking up.
"Since when do you brag about killing someone? I don't recall you ever boasting about anything. Ever. Not to mention no normal human can shoot that well, trained or not. You are different." The dark Mordecai had pretty much hammered the nail on the head with that observation of his. Something was up and he knows it. He may not know what it is, but he knows somethings up.

Rhindeer

"What do you mean that wasn't me?" Beatrid said suddenly, turning to look at him sharply, the grin fading and her eyes narrowing. "Who else would that be? And so what if I don't normally brag? I'm fucking allowed, aren't I? I just pulled off some crazy once-in-a-lifetime shit, of course I'm happy about it!" she snapped, swinging her legs around so her could sit up. Her entire body had gone tense and stiff.

"Kuro, would it really fucking kill you to admit, just for once, that I'm good? That I actually know what I'm doing, that I can fight just as well as any other bloody Dragoon? What about you, you pull off crazy ass shit all the time and everyone praises you for it, yet when I finally do something fucking awesome and am actually happy about it, suddenly I'm not being myself? What? Is Beatrid supposed to just always be there in the background as support, covering your ass while you do all the fancy stuff? Fuck that! It was a lucky shot but I did it! A little acknowledment couldn't hurt! Admitting I actually have some skill up my sleeve won't kill you, I promise!" And then she suddenly paused, eyes narrowing further.

"Oh I get it. You're just pissed that it wasn't you out there in the spotlight striking the badass final blow. Right. Great. Fuck off," she snarled, flopping back over on the sofa and turning her back to him.

Yeah. A bit of an overreaction? Maybe.

Inside, Beatrid was seething. Yet mixed in all that anger was also fear.

Was she seriously acting all that different? Was it that noticeable? Shit, shit, shit...no, just stay calm. She had to just...learn to cope with the damned drug. And being angry at him...hopefully that outburst would distract him and take his mind off his observation. After all, it was like her to be easily provoked and come back swinging with a barrage of colorful, hateful language. Maybe not that intensely, but...

Crap.

She was most angry because he was right, and she hadn't even noticed.

Anonymous

It's not like Kuro enjoyed pissing Beatrid off, but there was something he noticed and he needed to point it out. Her little outburst was a bit much. What was she defending though? A lucky shot? Killing someone in an underground tournament? Kuro does it all the time, but he never cherishes in any form of praise. It's not in his nature.
"You know, I really don't care about any praise or envy! I don't even care if you are better than me in any way! The only reason I'm still alive after all I've been through and why I can do what I do is because I'm not entirely human!" That time, Kuro raised his voice. He never has. Not even with his family. There it is. The one secret Kuro has that no one in the realm of Connlaoth know. After realizing what he had just said, Kuro slid down the wall and remained seated on the ground with his back still against the wall.

Rhindeer

"What?" That got Beatrid to turn back around, twisting where she sat so she could look back over at Kuro, eyes still narrowed and mouth twisted in annoyance. Kuro was on the ground, back against the wall. Obviously he hadn't meant to say that.

Not entirely human?

Well...that wasn't that big of a deal. It wasn't like she'd never interacted with any non-humans before, and not all possessed magic; obviously he didn't if he was a Mordecai, and he most definitely was one! She could feel it. Still, she hadn't really expected it of him, because he looked as human as they came. Looked. But now suddenly his actions made more sense, like how the hell he could do some of the crazy shit he did, how he could recover so quickly from a wound. The weird stunts she couldn't explain, but the healing...eh, she'd just justified that by saying he must just have a good bloodline.

"...Huh. Well. Guess that makes some things make more sense," she said curtly, before she raised an eyebrow and shifted where she lay. "So what the fuck are you, anyway? And whatever you are, still doesn't mean I don't think you're a jackass most of the time. Just so we're clear."

Anonymous

When the 'What?' came from Beatrid, Kuro lowered his head before she twisted around to eye him. His view shifted to a spot on the ground next to himself as she questioned further.
"Don't worry about it." He noted almost under his breath, but loud enough for her to hear him. He wasn't ready to divulge himself to anyone. Not even Beatrid. Since changes have been effecting Kuro, mainly emotional, he has really been himself.

Rhindeer

"I'm not," Beatrid replied with a small chuckle, stretching her arms over her head. "To be honest, I don't really give a shit. Human, non-human, it doesn't really change much. You're still you and you sure ain't no mage. Obviously," she said, staring up at the ceiling. "Can't be anything that bad, anyway. Now if you were a vampire or a demon or something, we might have a problem. I've never seen you drink blood or sprout horns, though, so whatever."

She very nearly growled the word "demon", as right now, no, they really weren't a species high in her esteems. Fucking Akabu.

Running a hand through her front bangs, she sighed and looked at Kuro again. "So how long until the next match?"

Anonymous

Kuro closed his eyes at the mention of the word, demon. He was very aware of the problems it may cause for him to leak any information of his race. Even more so now that Beatrid had mentioned it. He shook it all off when Beatrid decided to change the subject. At that moment, he returned his view back to his fellow Mordecai.
"They'll come and let us know when we have fifteen minutes before our next match. Given that we were the most recent victors, they're giving us some time to rest until round two starts up. It would be wise for us to heed to that. It only gets harder as we progress." Kuro explained in full detail. It was obvious that he has participated in similar tournaments before.

Rhindeer

"Ahh, gotcha," Beatrid said, and got comfortable again. He sure wasn't the talkative sort, was he? "Well in that case, excuse me while I get a quick cat nap in. Doesn't seem like there's much else to do. Seriously, don't these people even serve refreshments or whatever?" she asked, arching an eyebow at him. You'd think they would since this kind of thing burned up a lot of energy, and she at least was only human. She kinds needed water or her body burned out.

"Speaking of...what's the pay-out for a tournament like this, anyway? I mean, considering the...risks and all..." She gave a little wince, and then quickly pushed the memory of what she'd done out of her head. "...There's gotta be a good incentive for this aside from just an ego boost."

[Sucky and short. Apologies!]

Anonymous

Kuro had lowered his head as Beatrid went on about their current situation. Though, when she brought up the idea about receiving some form of payment, those words fell on deaf ears. The dark Mordecai had already passed into a form of unconscious state. He was apparently more exhausted then he thought. Probably better off that he did fall asleep. Last thing he would need is an extended interrogation about his orgins or something of the matter.

Rhindeer

Silence.

Beatrid waited, and waited, but it wasn't long before it because obvious that he wasn't going to answer. Eh? Had she not spoken loud enough? Blinking, she sat up and looked across the room at him--and then just stared.

Fucker was asleep.

After she'd asked him stuff. Important stuff. Because if there wasn't a damned incentive to keep on going, hell, she'd already seen enough. She didn't want to stick around here any longer than necessary and she was pretty sure this was illegal (but her natural competitive, curious, foolhardy side was more than willing to keep going if there was a reward...it could be evidence, of course). She'd also asked about refreshments, and she was bloody thirsty, she couldn't fight without replenishing herself. But more importantly...

No one fell asleep on her like that. That was fucking rude! He'd dragged her here to begin with! Okay, that was a lie, she'd gone on her own but...seriously, what the fucking hell?

Snarling under her breath, she rose to her feet, marched across the room, and hovered near his head--shortly before she pulled back her fist and punched him right in the skull. Hard. Though not hard enough to knock him out, she knew her own strength and the point was to wake him up.

"Hey asshole, I think I asked you a question. Questions. Wake the hell up."

Anonymous

Beatrid pulled back her fist and swung hard, only to find it caught in a tight grip. Kuro had caught her fist, even in his unconscious state. Not to mention how tight of a squeeze it was. The ninjaesque Mordecai slowly raised his head to glare at Beatrid with his one eye not covered by his two toned hair. Not even Beatrid has seen him glare at anything.
"Don't do that." He spoke in a monotone. It was apparent that he didn't like to be disturbed in his slumber, but it was more to the fact of how differently he could have reacted to Beatrid. What she didn't know was the even tighter grip he had on a hidden dagger behind his back. The pressure was almost enough to crush a diamond, because of how much restraint was forced into his muscles. Kuro was still a former assassin and that would never change. After a moment, he released his grasp on Beatrid and his dagger.
"Forgive me, I guess I didn't know how tired I was." He finally replied, actually sounding sincere for a change.

Rhindeer

Beatrid met Kuro's glare with a cheerful smile, even though his grip made her want to wince. Felt like he was trying to crush the bones in her hand, but she was far too proud and stubborn let Kuro see that it hurt--mainly because he was the one hurting her. Hah, like she'd give him the satisfaction, so instead she just grinned. It was something she did pretty well and if she recalled correctly she'd even managed to smile after getting shot. Maybe she had a few screws loose in a sense, but...that was just how she liked to roll.

Plus it was kinda great seeing Kuro look all cranky. The guy was always so emotionless and dull so it was nice to finally get an actual reaction out of him, even if it would have been far more satisfying for the punch to have connected.

"Heh. Nice catch," Beatrid remarked casually and then, seeing as his other hand was currently behind his back, she used her free hand to cuff him good on the ear. "And you don't do that. Fall asleep on me when I'm talking to you. Ass. Didja even hear a word I said?"

Anonymous

"I thought you were here to investigate, not to collect payment and excitement from an underground tournament." Kuro noted after the rap to the ear. He followed his words by getting up and slowly moved to the door.
"Needless to say, our resting period has come to a quick end. As we speak, they approach with word..."
Knock! Knock!
Kuro's sentence was halted by a knock on the door, followed by a voice,
"You two have fifteen minutes before your next match. Be ready."
"It is time..." Kuro trailed off as he proceeded to open the door to leave the room.