Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

And it started in La'marri (With cake! >.>)

Started by Anonymous, July 31, 2007, 07:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

[--OC: ....I couldn't think of a good title.  Forgive me.  --]

----- "And one, two, juuump!"  Granted, it wasn't as much as a jump, as a leap of faith, but 'jump' was a much more cheerful thing to yell.  Sounded less like "I might break my leg when I land," in any event.

----- But the difference between a leap of a faith and a planned jump stopped mattering once Cerena's feet-quickly followed by her knees and then hands- hit the ground.  She grinned and flipped onto her back to admire the sky and the rock she had jumped from.  "And I thought the mountains had stopped a few miles ago, too."  She pouted a little and watched the clouds for a few minutes, ignoring the throbbing in her knees.  Her eyes, still lit up from the adrenaline rush, slowly settled to a calm green.  "I hope it's not much farther.  There's supposed to be a path somewhere, isn't there?  I'm gonna go insane if I have to keep climbing rocks."

----- After a few minutes she sat up and pulled herself to her feet.  She dusted off the dirt on her legs and resumed walking.  Luckily for her, she began to find rocks that were small enough to walk around.  The trek to La'marri hadn't been her plan originally, but she had been feeling too settled in Serendipity.  So she'd packed up her few belongings and started to walk in a general western direction.  She had gone through a forest and ended up walking not over the mountains, but in a small pass between two giant chains.  She had encountered another traveler in the area by chance, and they had shared a fire for the night.  He told her he was traveling away from La'marri in hopes of finding a nice girl to marry in Ketra.  Cerena had wished him luck, and decided on a whim that going to La'marri would be fun.  It had sounded nice when the man described it.  What was the word he has used?

----- ....Safe.

----- She had found that description strange.  But at the same time, after being on her own for as long as she had been, she was tired of having to be constantly vigilant to make sure she wasn't about to be jumped or stolen from.  If he had been right about the town, it'd be nice to be somewhere she could rest peacefully in for a while.

<center>~~~</center>

----- She had to walk for another day before making it into the town.  Someone took pity on her and offered her a few sips of their water, which she accepted gratefully.  She got directions to a place she could stay for the night and places she could get food in.

----- She ended up drifting to a crowded market street and leaning against a wall and watching people shop.  She couldn't spot any thieves, but that wasn't exactly surprising as they were supposed to be hard to find.  She let herself entertain the thought that La'marri didn't have any thieves before dismissing it as an impossibility.  There were always thieves.

----- Despite her misgivings, she let herself relax.  She had promised herself she'd stay here for at least a week, she owed it to herself.  Mainly to her feet.  She closed her eyes for a minute, trying to figure out if she had enough money to afford to rent out a room, or if it'd be another stay with her sleeping on people's roofs or in alleyways.  Her coin purse was distinctly lighter than she liked it being, and with a sigh she opened her eyes again and determined she'd be spending the night outside.  She looked up at the sky, wondering if the night was going to be cold.

----- At least the sky was clear.

Anonymous

After a horrendous trek across the mountains, Felina finally caught sight of La'marri. She was grateful to come across a village after days of travelling, and even though her bare feet were used to days, sometimes weeks of walking and running on all kinds of terrain, she could give them a well-deserved rest. Plus, in the last town she had been in, someone had described La'marri as a "safe haven" for just about anyone.

That suited Felina just fine, because once every few days, bandits would pop up and attack her. She fought them off successfully each time, but not without sustaining a few cuts and scratches. Luckily, she knew a lot about making medicines out of herbs and spices, and that saved her life on many occasions. But she grew tired of being plagued by bandits, so the idea of a safe haven appealed to Felina.

With her pack slung over her shoulder and a smile of relief on her face, Felina made her way towards La'marri.

Felina strode into the village, her tail swaying with each step, her large ears perking at the many sounds of activity. Many, if not all of the people stared at her briefly, but then they just went back to their business. Felina didn't mind the stares; she had grown accustomed to that over the years. But she was rather surprised to see that this village was very diverse; she didn't seem to stick out at all.

Hoping that she had enough money to stay at an inn, Felina took out her coin purse and felt its weight. She had enough money for a few nights' stay, then she would have to sleep on the street. Felina sighed at the notion, but she quickly dismissed it. She was used to outdoor sleep, but every once in a while, she wanted someplace comfortable to rest in.

She was so lost in thought that she didn't notice a bump in the street. She tripped over it and fell onto the ground face-first, right in front a young woman sitting against a wall. "Oof! Oww..." she moaned.

Anonymous

----- No, can't buy a watermelon.  I will not let myself buy a watermelon.  Even if I am really hungry, there is no way I can even carry a watermelon, let alone finish the entire thing.  Heck, I don't even have a way to cut it open... I guess I could drop it on a pointy rock or something....

----- Then something hit the ground in front of her, reminding her remarkably of what a dropping watermelon might sound like.  She blinked once and then jumped to her feet, looking at the woman on the ground in front of her.

----- "Uh.... are you okay...?"  She reached out a hand, helping to pull the woman to her feet after she quickly glanced at her to make sure she'd probably be able to stand.  As she reached out her hand, her eyes paused momentarily on her ears, and she had to force herself to look away because she knew it was rude to stare.  She had seen a few other people with ears like that in her travels, but she'd never been close enough to really talk to them.  Her hands felt remarkably soft and Cerena had to make sure she didn't try to rub it; if she had cat ears it might make sense if she had fur of some sort, and she was positive that rubbing someone's fur was not socially acceptable.

----- I hope she doesn't think I'm rude for staring... At least I didn't stare at her tail.  I'm sure it'd be really awkward if she saw me just staring at her butt.  The thought did make her smile, which she hoped looked like a friendly and caring smile and not a 'Haha, you fell down' smile.

----- Once she was standing, the other woman was a few inches taller and Cerena had to look up to meet her eyes.  As interested as she was in her ears, she forced herself to keep her gaze on her eyes.   A slight glint distracted her and she glanced down at the ground long enough to see a coin purse on the ground.  She bent down to pick it up and began to offer it to her, before realizing that the other woman was still holding onto hers.  Cerena blinked and stared down at the coin purse, then looked back up at her.  "...So I guess this isn't yours either?"

Anonymous

Felina felt herself being helped to her feet by someone. She looked to see that it was a young human woman.

"Yeah...thanks a lot," she said, smiling sheepishly. "I guess I should pay more attention to where I'm going." She brushed the dirt off of her. Even though she was half-cat, her human half still made her a little clumsy, for she doesn't always land on her feet, as this situation proved.

Then the young woman who had helped her was about to hand her a coin purse. At first, Felina thought she had dropped it, only to realize that she was still holding onto hers.

"...So I guess this isn't yours either?" the woman asked.

"No, actually," Felina replied. "I still have mine." She held her coin purse up. She smiled again. "Anyway, thanks again for helping me...uh..."

Anonymous

----- Cerena waited a second for the woman to finish her sentence and then realized how much of a dolt she was being, and grinned childishly.  "My name's Cerena."  She tossed the coin purse up and then caught it, toying around with it.  "And if this doesn't belong to either of us, then that means someone dropped it."  She scanned the crowd around her, looking for someone who looked panicked, or at least like they were missing something.

----- She paused a moment and then looked back at her.  For just a moment, she looked very unsure and almost afraid, but it was the expression was gone just as quickly, replaced with the child-like smile.  "What's your name?  D'you wanna help me find whoever this belongs to?"  She moved another piece of hair out of her face, tucking it behind her ear and wishing her hair would stay there for once.  "I mean... if you have something else to do, don't worry 'bout it, but if you have nothing to do for a while..."

Anonymous

Felina smiled sweetly again. "Sure I'll help you," she said. "It's the least I can do to repay the favor. My name's Felina, by the way. Nice to meet you."

Her smile was broken when she heard a faraway voice yelling, "AUGH!!! MY COIN PURSE IS GONE!!! MY POCKET'S BEEN PICKED!!! WHAT AM I GONNA DO?!?!" Her cat ears perked in the direction the voice was coming from.

"I think I know who lost it already," Felina said. "This way!" She ran off in the direction the voice came from, but stopped to make sure Cerena was behind her.

Anonymous

----- Cerena was about to say that she didn't have to repay the favor, because she wasn't sure if helping someone to their feet really counted as a favor, but she got interrupted by someone yelling.  She saw Felina's ears perk towards the voice, which was coming from somewhere behind her.

----- That was easier than I was expecting.

----- "I think I know who lost it already.  This way!"  Felina past Cerena in the direction of the voice and Cerena spun around to chase her, and nearly lost her balance.  She teetered for a moment before regaining it and running after Felina, dodging around people and yelling an apology to the people she didn't doge as well as she had hoped.

Anonymous

"S'cuse me, pardon me, coming through," Felina said while dodging unwary bystanders. While she ran, she made two close shaves, her catlike reflexes saving her from disaster both times. The third time, she wasn't so lucky. She tripped over another bump in the street and fell head over heels onto the ground face-first, in front of a very frantic-looking man. "Ow...I'm okay," she moaned as she proceeded to stand.

Anonymous

----- People-dodging was fun, once you got used to it.  If you timed it well, you could even jump in front of someone and then spin out of their way quickly before they even knew what had just happened.  Cerena only tired that once, because she learned when she slammed into someone that she wasn't very good at timing spins.

----- But focusing on people didn't leave her with much attention to pay to where she was running.  Her foot caught on the same bump Felina had found, and she sprawled ungracefully to the ground, the coin purse slipping out of her hands and towards Felina.

----- "...Geez, that does hurt..."

Anonymous

Felina saw that Cerena had fallen down right next to her. It seemed she caught the same bump that Felina had tripped over.

"Now you know how I felt," Felina said. "Are you okay?" She held out a hand to help Cerena up.

The frantic-looking man (who appeared to be in his mid-thirties with short brown hair and a goatee) looked at the two girls who had tripped in front of him. "Are you two young girls alright?" he asked with concern in his voice.

Anonymous

----- Laughing a little and accepting Felina's help, Cerena felt her face getting red.  She grabbed the coin purse again and tossed it lightly in the air, hoping it would draw attention away from her face.  "Y-yeah, I'm fine, thanks....." she said sorta quietly.

----- She smiled a little more enthusiastically at the man.  "I'm fine, thanks for asking!  I really hope this belongs to you!"  With that, she held out the coin purse, hoping she wasn't shoving it in the wrong person's face.

Anonymous

The man looked at the coin purse for a second, then a look of relief came over him. "Yes, it does!" he exclaimed enthusiastically, accepting the coin purse. "At first, I thought my pocket had been picked, but I never realized I just dropped it. Thank you so much, young ladies. I should give you a little something in return." He opened the coin purse, pulled out ten gold coins, and placed them in Cerena's hand. "There. That's five for each of you. Thanks again!" He then strolled away, virtually melting into the crowds.

Felina looked shocked. "What just happened?" she asked, dumbfounded.

Anonymous

----- Cerena watched the man stroll off before she lost him quickly in the mass of moving people.  "We successfully returned the coin purse," she said thoughtfully.  She was fairly positive that returning a coin purse in that manner in any other city might make people think she was the thief, and that she had only returned the purse to keep the man from yelling.  Of course, it depended on how paranoid the other party was.

----- "...but just as importantly, he paid us!"  She grinned and handed Felina her five coins.  She pulled her coin purse out and tucked the coins in, happily listening to them jingle.

----- I wonder how much watermelons cost here...

Anonymous

Felina's face lit up. "Really?" she said as she accepted the gold coins. "That's great!" A big smile formed on her face. Now she just might have enough for a longer stay at an inn. But maybe she should do something else before settling in...

"So...you wanna do something else?" Felina asked Cerena

Anonymous

----- "Well," Cerena said in an almost business-like tone, "I don't know about you, but the last time I ate was sometime yesterday.  I was thinking of finding some cheap food around here, and then checking to see how much it will cost me to stay in an inn, because if they're expensive I will be camping.  I don't suppose you know how much inns cost here?"

----- Her eyes softened a little and she smiled absently and gestured up towards the sky.  "Not that it really matters if I'm outside...it doesn't look like it'll be raining tonight."

Anonymous

Felina smiled. "I don't mind the outdoors, either. I've pretty much spent three-quarters of my life outside. But I wouldn't mind spending a few nights somewhere comfortable." She put a hand to her chin in thought. "Well let's see...the past few places I've been to cost two gold for a night, and about three gold for a good meal. Though most of the time I'd make my own meals, and they're usually a lot better-tasting and more cost-efficient."

Anonymous

----- Cerena winced slightly.  Yes, she had five gold now, which gave her a total of roughly nine gold.  Sleeping in an inn was definitely out now, because you never knew if you might need money.  As for finding a meal, she didn't want to spend money on that either now.  Hunting was an option, but she wanted to avoid it if she could.

----- "If you don't mind me asking... what do you make yourself?  I'm a little short on money, so anything I can save on..." She shrugged a little.  "I mean, I'll help, I know how to cook, but I wouldn't say my cooking is typically better tasting than anything you'd pay for."

Anonymous

Felina gave another smile. "Oh, I'll cook just about anything. Meat, poultry, fish, fruit, vegetables, stews, bread, you name it," she said. She remembered that, adding the five gold she had received, she now had a total of eleven gold, seven silver, and eight copper. She hoped that was enough for a quick trip to the market AND a room at an inn.

"Do you have a particular favorite?" she asked Cerena.

Anonymous

----- It had been such a long time since anyone had actually asked Cerena what kind of food she liked she had to stop and think about it.  Typically she just took what she could get, and if it tasted good, even better.  After all, beggars can't be choosers.  Unless the beggar has a really, really pointy stick.

----- Finally she laughed a little.  "Nothing in particular comes to mind, but I haven't had any fish in a long time.  Maybe there's a river around here or something?  I haven't gone fishing in ages."

----- Fishing was a little different from hunting, in her mind.  Fish were typically pretty ugly, and if they were stupid enough to bite the big shiny hook in front of their face, then.... well.  She was doing their gene pool a favor.

Anonymous

Felina nodded. "Yeah, fish is really tasty, especially if you cook it right," she said. "I think I saw a river on my way here, actually. It's just west of here, maybe a half-hour hike...yeah, fishing is definitely a better option than buying from a fish market, because fish tend to be very expensive."

She then gave a big grin. "So, you wanna go fishing?"