Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Going Crazy For Technology. ( closed. )

Started by Anonymous, October 15, 2007, 09:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Maro sat in the corner of the tavern not drinking, but sputtering out random equivalences of matter and minerals. Touching a the top of his drink he knew it was several parts of wood, smaller parts of iron, the exact number of bolts, splinters of wood, and exactly where they went. Ontop of that he also knew the volume it could hold expect in his tankard was just water, not ale or anything intoxicating of any sort, it ruined his calculations to much for him to be drunk.

He began tapping his finger-tips on the table counting the rythemic drumming  of them. Getting up till about fifteen when a few more customers walked into the tavern, then he lifted his knuckle to his mouth where he nibbled on it quite gently. Reajh seemed to be a bit of a heaven for him, Maro being a scientist loved fixing and exploring every niche of modern day technology or just any gadgety these days. The things that just drove him crazy the grinding of the clocks, the mechanisms turning the machine on and off. It's not to say he didn't like the simple marvel machines, but the new always fascinated him.

He leveled his head watching his finger-tips drum away as he determined his next destination. "Where to go so many choices? So, much data to analyze and so little time."

Anonymous

Emora sighed as she brushed her ginger hair out of her eyes, escaping from Reajh had been harder than she thought. She had suddenly found herself without powers on three occasions already and it was a miracle she hadn’t been caught yet.

However she now knew that she wasn’t too far from the outskirts of Reajh and she had a lead as to where her twin was, Hyoite of all places. Her information had come from a very dangerous looking man. When she asked about her sister he had handed her a strange box about the size of a belt pouch with a window on the front. On the window had appeared a blurry scene of a red haired girl and a grey mare walking through a snowy village which the man had informed her was Hyoite. It wasn’t conclusive evidence that it was indeed Dalisme but it was a lead at least. When Emora had then turned to thank the man he had gone.

She had to get out of Connlaoth first before she could head to the snowy region and she was tired and her feet were aching. Despite the risk she had decided to stop at a tavern. She tied Harmay, her blonde mare outside near the water trough and entered the tavern as casually as she could.

She probably looked a little bit nervous though; taverns were loud, crowded places and full of drunken men who most likely try to flirt with her. She was barely an adult but it didn’t stop some people. And then there was the fact she was a magic user and she was pretty sure the strange box was forbidden ancient technology.

Emora looked around with her crimson eyes, a rather unusual colour especially in Connlaoth. She was surprised too find that a lot of the people where staring at a strange man in one corner. He was old and had no eyebrows above his startlingly blue eyes. They kept muttering to themselves something unintelligible which Emora couldn’t hear from the across the noisy tavern.

It was strange to see something so eccentric looking in Reajh, they usually frowned upon those who were bad for the country’s image, that included magic users.

She made her way across to the bar and ordered just a juice, she wasn’t legal after all. There were no seats except for next to the crazy old man so she stayed sat at the bar. It was risky to sit there in view of all who came to order drinks, what with her having red eyes but there wasn’t anywhere else and she certainly didn’t want to sit next to the old man. That would draw even more attention to her.

Instead she kept her head down and sipped her drink in silence. The bartender kept glancing across at her but she attempted to ignore it.

Anonymous

"So, much of it to attain."

Maro was still drumming his fingers as the side of his mouth twitched. Taking a sip of his water as he stared down at the bottom of his mug calculating the new acquired volume and capacity of the container. Counting the exact amount of nanoseconds it would take for the water to swish back, then forth against the wall of the water's wooden prison. Completely oblivious to the multiple set of prying eyes on him.

"I should invent something to attain it!" Maro shouted a bit out loud as he comp lated in his head.

His thoughts started to run rampant on exactly how he would invent something to attain the data for most of the interesting technology was the things, that went well boom. The commands simple find something draw it, then bring it back to him. Exactly, how would he build such a thing was a mystery this would require quite a bit of things to make. He would need a power source looking down into his mug. "WATER! To be more precise steam," Maro said as he tilted his head, "which means I need something hot!"

It would have to a have a sturdy outer-structure, yet light enough for it to escape with the data. Steel would work find, but it would also need to be quite stealthy a small design would be admirable and easily go unnoticed. Would take quite the observant fellow to notice this. "This is brilliant! But where should it go!? What has tech that goes boom!" Maro said outloud as he thought to himself the millitary of course. "Duh!"

Anonymous

Emora couldn’t help but here the old man’s strange ramblings and though it took the attention off her from most of the tavern, the bartender kept looking at her. She was pretty certain he knew what she was and if he did staying there would be foolish. The best thing to do was to get out of Reajh as soon as possible, he could expose her at any minute.

â€œWhy do you have red eyes?â€?

Emora looked up and saw the bartender had spoken to her.

She paused then said, “I don’t know. Why do you have brown eyes?â€?

Probably not the best response, but it was the best she could come up with at short notice. It sounded like something her sister would say but Dalisme would be far cockier in saying it.

â€œDon’t get smart with me, magic user!â€? The bartender hissed.

At the word ‘magic user’ the group of people sat around the bar turned to look at her

â€œWhat makes you think I’m a magic user?â€? Emora said calmer than she felt.

One of the people sat at the bar decided to chip in then, “Oh come on your eye colour isn’t exactly normal.â€?

â€œYeah,â€? the bartender said, “And a friend of mine swore he saw a red
haired, crimson eyed girl use healing magic outside his tavern the other day.�

He was referring to two brothers Emora had met in the centre of Reajh, one of them had been sick and she had healed him. At the time she had been worried that someone might have seen it.

Emora was tempted to say, it might have been my twin but if her sister was a magic user, which she was, than Emora would also be one.

â€œI think we should call the Mordecai,â€? someone else sat at the bar said.

More people had heard the conversation now and instead of looking at the crazy old man who was still talking to himself, they were looking at her, with a mixture of fear, suspicion and hatred. Emora wasn’t used to being hated but she knew as soon as she entered Connlaoth that was wasn’t welcome.

â€œWe’ll get the town guards,â€? a man said before leaving with his friend.

Emora ran forward to try and stop them but she was blocked by the crowd and pushed to the floor. Unfortunately when she fell she hit her head on the floor. The world drifted in and out of focus. When she tried to use her healing magic to clear the dizziness nothing happened, which could only mean that there were Mordecai nearby. She was trapped and defenceless.

Anonymous

Maro so this girl faint out of the corner of his eye, which had interrupted his thought process. It did however raise a bit of intruige as he put down his mug with a bit of a smirk he was feeling mischievous today. He didn't exactly know the city's layout enough for his machine to work it would be in his best interest if he could find somebody with at least moderate knowledge of the place.

He sort of stepped away from his chair as he slide across the floor like he was gliding on it did a spin, then looked down at her. "Hi, all you might know me as that guy standing over there. To be honest I'm a inventor and bit of a doctor of mechanics. There is no magic here." Maro said lifting his shoe to show there was wheels underneath as he began to lie, "Just like this girl for she is my niece.. Umm, blast what was her name!? Sorry, I took a couple to many blows to the head in my research. Linda, that is her name. She suffers from a rare disease what you might call a illness. It's not a spell or anything it's called red-eye it's main symptom is Red Eyes OF COURSE! A blood disorder where there is actually blood in her isis the color part of a persons eye. There's another side effect she can't lose to much blood or she'll die! So do you want the murder of a innocent girl on your hands! I'm sure the guard will love that!"

Maro, leaned down to her as he reached into his pocket pulling out a orange bottle with a white tag around it as he whispered into her ear, "Just play along call me uncle Maro. This is sugar water drink and pass out."

Turning back to the crowd holding the bottle up. "This is her medicine! Surely, you can't believe this is the woman you speak of for she wouldn't of fell so easily to the floor if she was a magic-user. Look how frail she is!"

Anonymous

Emora was shocked when the weird guy looked over her and even more shocked when she realised he was helping her. She took the bottom and drunk the contents. It was foul but she did what he told her and ‘passed out’. However the bartender didn’t seem impressed by their act.

â€œSomeone saw her using magic! She’s a filthy mage you crazy old man!â€?

Even though she couldn’t use her magic, Emora could sense the Mordecai now, he was getting close and they would definitely know she was a magic user.

Anonymous

Maro looked up as his eyes flashed with anger at this man's arrogance, "Well, that's a weird brand of logic to question me with. Somebody saw her do it like who? Some gossip-hound you probably don't even know. Besides, I know this woman and that's a better case, then you! What a weak foundation to base a hypothesis off of. Get your facts straight man! If I was younger I would wipe the floor with you. I suppose that's enough evidence to hit a innocent old-man. How do we know your not a magic-user? I mean I heard a couple bar-maids talking about how you make such wonderful drinks, they must absolutely be magic."

He reached back into his pants pocket as he sercetly pulled out a small-ball flimsy ball. Just a container of a chemical when smashed hard enough would create a large flash and quite a bit of smoke. He concealed it behind his thumb as he moved his arms around her. "In any-case I'm not letting you put a sick woman of relation in prison cause of your stupidity," he said lifting her onto his shoulder with a big huff she was a bit heavier, then he had calcuated. "Linda you put on some weight! Not quite the little girl you used to be. Get out of the way!"

He waved his hand as he tried to skate to the front door. So worried about magic, these people what about technology! They have it and don't even appreciate the mechanics of it! Bunch of knuckleheads!

Anonymous

Emora was a little peeved at the suggestion she was heavy but of course she wasn’t supposed to be conscious and this man was helping her. As he skated in the general direction of the door, she couldn’t be sure as her eyes were shut, it opened. She allowed her eyes to open a little and saw it was the two of men who had gone off to find the town guards and third…was a Mordecai.

He was rather interesting, not much older than her with short black hair and chocolate eyes.

â€œWhere’s this mage then?â€? he said in a bored voice.

Anonymous

He just kind of hit the break on his skates as he stopped his hand let the ball drop and roll into the tavern trying to do it without anybody noticing. "The magic-user is in there. She hurt this woman pretty badly! I'm taking her to a medical facility."

The ball would roll on the floor as a blue light suddenly filled the tavern, then started to fill the room with smoke. He started to move around them hoping the distraction of his marvelous flash-balls would of been enough to confuse them for a great escape.

Maro said as he took off, "There be magic in there!'

Anonymous

Emora was surprised when Maro somehow managed to make smoke appear, he wasn’t a magic user, she would have sensed it as would the Mordecai. It was kind of strange that the Mordecai hadn’t noticed her for that matter; though she had got the impression he just didn’t care.

She allowed Maro to carry her out of the tavern while it was in a panic now that it was engulfed in smoke.

Anonymous

He skated a couple blocks down stopping in the middle of a dark disgusting alley, sitting her right on the gross floor up against a dank wall. "Hey, you can wake up now. I need you for data I take it you have some knowledge of this town's make-up. You caused quite a pick for me sending military after me. The military! That's it if anybody has technology it's the governament. Oh! What a coy woman you are!"

This man had to be nuts! He was suggesting running into the academy collecting sercet plans and running off. "What is your name specimen? I mean madame. It's been so long, since I've been around people to arogance and uncalcuated. I would rather spend my time with clocks or something atleast more mildly interesting."

Anonymous

This guy was crazy, she didn’t understand what he was talking about.

â€œMy name’s Emora,â€? she said answering his question, “Thank you for helping me.â€?

He really seemed to like technology. That thought made her think of the weird device that strange man had given her. She reached into the pocket of her dress and pulled it out.

â€œYou said you’re looking for technology, do you by any chance know what this is?â€? she asked showing him it.

Anonymous

He greedily grabbed the box from her as his eyes light up and his hands curved around it examining it, then he stopped said some kind of jibberish. A big smile came across his face as he shouted, "This is absolutely fantastic a marvel to be exact. A image projection device in such a handy portable size! Absolutely, great! Is there anyway I could offer you a trade or something of equal value!?"

He held up for a minute as he examined it some more. "Oh wait! There seems to be a message still stuck in it. Let's see if I do this and that it should," Maro said with a grin fussing with the device. "Pop right out! Muwahahah! This is a nifty gadget indeed!"

Maro held the cube in his hand as he closed his eyes activating the object the mechanics of this thing was absolutely spell-binding. "Here's the image! Such wonderness this little devil."

Anonymous

Emora looked over the strange man’s shoulder at the image on it. There only seemed to be that one image of a red headed girl with a horse wandering through Hyoite. It would play for about 10 seconds then repeat.

â€œThe girl in it is my sister,â€? Emora explained, “At least…I think it is. As for something in return, you saved my life, that’s payment enough.â€?

She didn’t really need the item, she had seen the image and it didn’t get any clearer no matter how many times she watched it.

Anonymous

"None sense this is worth more, then your life. Let me offer you a trade."

Maro reached into his cloak as he pulled out a shiny metallic bracelet as he pushed it towards said, "You must be a magic user. Here take this is a half-way done project of mine. The Arcane Ampilifer it boosts your magic ability ten-fold for about a minute. Only problem is I can only get one charge out of it, before it explodes and has bunch of nasty side-effects. It has a high very painful physical feedback to the user all the tests seem to apply they hit a near comma like state afterwards. Last time I was out for almost a week. Not to mention it only activates in case of emergency to stop abuse of the device. It truly has to be quite life-threatening for it to activate. It most retrospects it's inferior, yet useful for a girl of your status. You might need it."

He quickly pocketed the image-playing device as he waited for her to take the amplifier.

Anonymous

“Thanks a lot…� Emora thought at Maro’s suggestion that the strange box was worth more then her life.

She wasn’t sure how useful the bracelet would be but took it anyway. She had no intention of using it though, it sounded way too dangerous.

Speaking of dangerous, as they were stood there, two suspicious looking people walked past, obviously bounty hunters.

â€œThey say that Jiva finally managed to kill Dalisme.â€?

â€œWhat, you mean Naressa’s apprentice? Nah no-one could kill her.â€?

Emora paused at the mention of the name Dalisme. It wasn’t a very common name but she thought it could be possible they were talking about another Dalisme.

â€œIt’s true they say he killed Mecro Deadwell too, took his hand to his client and everything.â€?

â€œWow! I didn’t know Jiva was that good. He isn’t even a magic user.â€?

Emora stepped out in front of them; she had to know more details.

â€œExcuse me.â€?

The two men stopped and looked her up and down before one said, “Can we help you?â€?

â€œYes,â€? Emora replied, more confidently than she felt, “You mentioned a woman named Dalisme, it by any chance Dalisme Panelen?â€?

The other one looked at her with suspicion, “Why do you want to know?â€?

â€œIs it or isn’t it?â€?

Obviously surprised at her boldness, one replied, “Yeah it was Dalisme Panelen. The bounty hunter, Jiva Velas killed her in Thanatos, buried her there too.â€?

The two the shoved past Emora and continued their conversation.

â€œI wonder if Jiva’s going to go after his mother next?â€?

â€œWouldn’t put it past him.â€?

Emora’s heart felt like lead. Dalisme was dead? She had always thought she was too stubborn to die. Like Emora, Dalisme was only 17, still a girl and Jiva Velas had killed her? Emora had heard of Jiva, he was a monster who killed magic users for his own enjoyment. Strange considering his own mother was one of the most powerful sorcerers in the world

Her search had nearly come to and end then. Dalisme was dead and was in a set place now. She wasn’t going to move. All Emora could do now was go pay her respects.

â€œI’m sorry, Maro but I have to go. I need to go see my sister…One last time,â€? Emora said, tears now streaming down her cheeks.

Anonymous

Maro looked at her for a moment, "Mecro Deadwell, I know him I worked with his father. Brilliant, yet sadistic bastard his father had such hateful pride in him. A genius when it came to flesh-crafting to emotional for me to much flesh and blood it's all so boring. If she's buried in Thantoas I can get us there in no time with 45 % accuracy. Haven't had time to test this invention in a while."

Maro grabbed her arm with a gleeful pitch in his voice completely oblivious to her emotional state as he reached into his pocket, pulling out what looked to be a multi-colored calculus contraption . "Trust me. There's a very low probability of this going wrong, then again it's not my original design. The worst, that could happen is we pop up in a wall and get shunted about ten feet really hard, but who doesn't like a good ride through a worm hole?"

Shaking the device rapidly, Emora would suddenly feel like her body was barreling rapidly down a step tunnel while her stomach felt close to the consistency of jelly, as they suddenly vanished from Connaloath.