Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A New Dawn

Started by Anonymous, November 09, 2007, 01:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The girl blinked, looking rather surprised. She still hadn't gotten used to most people thinking everyone from Necromantia was a necromancer. Then she gave a small laugh, shaking her head, "Oh, goodness no! Very few people are Necromancers. My older brother is one." She patted the large bag on her hip, "I'm an Alchemist by trade."

Anonymous

"Oh, you're an alchemist? Well that's interesting! I don't think I've actually met an alchemist before." Alicia's tone brightened notably. Apart from necromancy, she had an interest about things she was largely unfamiliar with. She knew basically what alchemy was, but as far as details she knew very little. She glanced toward the bag hanging from Linia's side, figuring it must carry supplies of some sort for her craft. Alicia wondered what sorts of things she might have in there, but that may be a question for later.

"So what brought you to Serendipity? Surely it couldn't have been our ladyloving king!" she asked instead.

Anonymous

Linia laughed again, shaking her head, "No no. I hadn't even realized he was going to be doing this today." She motioned to her bag again, "I like to experiment a lot. And in order to do that, one really needs to get new things to play with." She blushed a little, shifting her weight a little awkwardly.

She felt silly talking about it. She always got nervous talking about herself, "And...well...I had never really been that far from home. And fresh things can be so hard to get in Necromantia...and I.." Her gaze dropped, feeling rather dumb now, "I guess I'm looking for ingredients."

Anonymous

((OOC: Okay, so I've kept you waiting a while. Sorry about that, things got busy with Thanksgiving and such. It shouldn't happen again. >.>))

"Hmm. Experiments? Sounds like fun!" Alicia said enthusiastically, still smiling. She gave a glance around - the crowd was rapidly beginning to disperse. A few here and there were gathered into small groups and talking, some occasionally glancing toward Alicia, only to quickly look away when she gave a challenging grin.

Her actions seemed to have made her rather unpopular. Of course, if she had cared about that she wouldn't have spoken up in the first place. Their looks were brushed off with a shrug as Alicia looked back toward Linia. "Well, welcome to Serendipity!" she said, spreading her arm out in a sweeping gesture toward the city around them. "I could probably show you around a few places if you want, but I don't know if I can help you find what you're looking for."

Anonymous

(Hey, no worries. I know how that goes)

Linia didn't really seem to notice the looks Alicia was getting. She just smiled at the girl, nodding, "That would be lovely. I haven't really been her long enough to see much."

She flushed, glancing down at her feet, "I'm not really looking for anything in particular. Just new things I haven't seen before. That I can play around with."

Anonymous

Oh I'll give you something to play around with if you're open to 'experimentation'.

Alicia gave a slight giggle to herself as she yanked her own mind out of the gutter. This was no time to start hitting on strangers...or recently-met acquaintances.

After all, she mused. I'm no king, am I?

"Good!" she beamed back. "Where would you like to start? The marketplace might have some things you'd be interested to see, or there are a few good taverns and restaurants in the central square, where we are now..."

Alicia stopped herself, looking as if she had just suddenly remembered something...when, in fact, she had. "Oh! I completely forgot, I was supposed to meet someone!" She looked away again, this time toward a specific location which in this case happened to be an unassuming building not far down the street from where they stood. After a moment of looking her eyes returned to Linia. "I might have to delay our tour a little, but you can come with me if you want."

Anonymous

Linia was utterly clueless to any potential innuendo. She just smiled at Alica, nodding her head, "Oh, that's fine. I don't mind waiting." She glanced over at the building. It didn't seem dangerous and Alica seemed very nice.

The alchemist nodded again, "I don't mind accompanying you. What is it your going to do?"

Anonymous

"Oh, I just need to meet up with someone. I guess you could think of him as my employer...though he also happens to be my brother. Let's go!" Alicia took off walking at a quickish pace, assuming that Linia would follow. When they approach the building, they would be greeted by a wooden sign above the door that says simply, 'Tavern'. She paused a moment then, turning to Linia before entering.

"Now I have to warn you, sometimes the patrons in this place can be a bit...rough, especially with cute young ladies like us coming through," Alicia paused to give a wink and a grin. "Buut if they start anything we're fully within our rights to defend ourselves. Taking care of a couple drunks wouldn't be any big deal."

With that she entered the building. The place was surprisingly active for it being so early in the afternoon. There was a bar on one end of the room with all but a few seats filled in front of it, and an assortment of tables spread throughout, a few of which were empty. The people within varied in inversely proportional levels of drunkenness and cleanliness, and while some of other species and a few women could be seen, most within were human and male.

Upon entering, Alicia scanned the patrons with her eyes, looking for a particular one - she was already late, so he should be here already. She would be interrupted by a voice: " 'ey misshy, why don'tcha come over here and lemme show ya somethin'?"

Following the voice led Alicia's gaze toward a scruffy, unshaven and obviously drunk man who looked to be in his later 20s or early 30s sitting at a table not far from the door. He stared unstably in their direction, though it was difficult to tell specifically whether he was talking to Alicia or Linia. Rather than respond, Alicia turned back to her companion and whispered. "Just ignore him, and stay close to me."

She returned to her scan, until she found the person she was looking for: a young man sitting alone at a table with short black hair, dressed in casual clothing and certainly looking a lot cleaner than the man that they had just been confronted with. The sword at his side may have seemed out of place, but a soldier always needed to be prepared...even when off-duty.

Alicia smiled and walked at a quick pace toward the young man at the table, who was facing away from them. When she got behind him, she would bend over and wrap her arms playfully around his neck. "Well hey there, lonely soldier! You look like you're waiting for someone!"

"Alicia! I was beginning to think you'd never show." the man responded calmly, turning his head slightly toward her with a smirk. Alicia released him then and came around to his side. "I brought a friend," she said, gesturing with one hand toward Linia. The young man stood and turned to face them, standing several inches taller than either woman. "Ah, so you did! I am David Yates," he said, offering a short introductory bow. "My condolences for being forced to follow my sister around," he joked with a grin. "And you are...?"

((Hope I didn't jump too much there. >.>))

Anonymous

Linia had nodded mutely to Alicia's instructions about the place. She was rather nervous about going inside. She never did well in places like this. But the other girl seemed like she knew what she was doing.

Once inside the building, Linia stuck as close as she possible could to Alicia, bumping into her on more then one occasion.

" 'ey misshy, why don'tcha come over here and lemme show ya somethin'?"

Linia froze at the sound of the voice, her eyes getting wide and she moved even closer to the other girl. She gave another mute nod when Alicia told her to ignore him.

She continued to trail after the girl once she spotted whoever it was she was looking for. Who thank the Goddess was much cleaner then most of the people there.

Linia gave a small, shy smile at the introduction and gave a slightly awkward curtsy in return to his bow, "It's nice to meet you." She then shook her head, adding hastily, "And I don't mind following Alicia around at all! She's been very nice to me."

Anonymous

"Oh, I'm sure she has," David said with a slight grin toward Alicia, his tone implying an unspoken second meaning to the words. Alicia responded with one of her own as she reached around Linia and clasped her hand playfully on the shorter woman's opposite shoulder. "But you forgot to introduce yourself!" she said, turning her look briefly toward her, and then back to David. "Her name is...Linia Lan'gressa, right? She's not from around here."

"Ah, it's good to meet you Linia," David said, shifting to more of a polite smile. "Why don't we have a seat and talk?" he stepped aside and made a gesture toward the table and its empty seats. His eyes rested on Alicia. "We have some things to discuss."

Anonymous

Linia's cheeks flushed a rather unbecoming red when it was pointed out she forgot to give her name. She mumbled a few apologies under her breath, mortified. She was just no good at talking to people.

She took her seat, glancing around the room while the other two talked, only half listening to them.

Anonymous

((ZOMG a post!))

Linia's embarrassment was both rather obvious and unintentional. The best thing to do about it, Alicia decided, would be to go on as if it had never happened. It seemed the girl embarrassed way too easily.

Alicia and David both took their seats around the table. Never one to waste any time, Alicia spoke: "So, what's going on? You said there was something we needed to talk about."

While Linia's attention was focused elsewhere, the young man gave a somewhat subtle motion of his head in her direction, silently asking if he should speak of such things in front of the stranger. Alicia, having decided quickly that this girl was no threat of any kind, responded with a reassuring nod and a smile.

"Are you familiar with the town of Caritas which rests a ways to the west of here?" he asked.

Alicia nodded. "It's a nice place! Been there once or twice. The people were friendly."

David gave a solemn nod of his own. "There have been rumors floating about lately about a rash of disappearances. Not any of the locals, but many who stop by to visit seem never to be heard from again."

Alicia shrugged. "So you're concerned over some rumor?"

"It seems there may be some truth to this one. A few of the noble families around here are all up in arms about some family member or other that has gone missing. I looked into it, and each one had at least been stopping by Caritas when they supposedly disappeared. We've sent a few men to investigate, but they found nothing. It seems that whoever is behind this - if anyone - is well hidden."

"Your men were never exactly masters of subtlety anyway. So you want me to investigate?"

David nodded. "That about sums it up, yes."

"Hm. All right then." Alicia turned toward Linia, bearing a somewhat apologetic smile. "Sorry, Linny, it looks like I won't be able to give you that tour just yet."

Anonymous

Linia did have a tendency to fluster easily and she had never been able to hide it well. And the plump little alchemist was about as much of a threat to anyone as, well, an overly aggressive dust bunny.

As the two talked, Linia found herself listening in with more interest. She was pretty sure she wasn't ease dropping, but she wasn't 100% sure. So she mostly listened, a growing expression of horror on her face, "Why, that's horrible that people are vanishing like that! Who knows what might be going on."

The girl then flushed at her outburst, ducking her head to try and hide behind her hair a bit, "Oh, Yes. Of course. This really isn't the time to be giving tours."

Linia peaked up at the other girl, a little in awe of her, "Do you save people often?" Maybe Alicia was a hero of some kind.

Anonymous

"Well I certainly hope so!" Alicia responded cheerfully, followed shortly with a shrug. "At least, I do what I can."

"She's done more than your average soldier, at least," David chimed in.

"Maybe, but that's not saying much when you consider your average soldier!" Alicia grinned toward her brother.

"Stop exaggerating. They're not all as bad as you think."

Alicia shrugged and turned back to Linia. It occurred to her that this mission might be too dangerous to bring her along on...but on the other hand, it was also entirely possible that the rumors were false. In that case, she didn't feel right leaving a girl like Linia on her own to be potentially victimized by whatever thieves or con men may cross her path. Besides, if it did prove to be dangerous, she was confident enough in her own ability to protect the other girl.

Besides, sometimes working alone was boring.

"So, would you like to come with me?" she asked.

Anonymous

That was about the last thing Linia had expected to hear. She blinked stupidly at Alicia for a moment, her jaw dropping open with surprise. Then she was smiling and nodding eagerly, "Really? You want my help? I would love to help!"

She stood up, tripping over her chair a little, "When do we get to go? Now?"

Despite her slightly chubby frame, the alchemist had a surprising amount of muscle to her. And she must have something in her rather large bag that could be of some help.

Anonymous

Alicia almost laughed at Linia's reaction. The surprise, the eagerness...it was absolutely adorable. She exchanged smirks and nods briefly with her brother, and then addressed Linia again.

"Well, it's early enough. We could leave today and make good distance before nightfall. It could be dangerous, though...are you sure you want to come?"

Anonymous

Linia straightened to her full if rather unimpressive height and adjusted her jacket, "I'm not afraid." Then she gave a small, awkward smile, "Well, not too afraid. And I'll be fine. I want to help. If I can."

Anonymous

"Great!" Alicia both spoke and stood enthusiastically. "And besides, if anything happens I can protect you!"

With a shrug, David rose calmly from his own seat. He didn't fully agree with the idea of Alicia bringing a civilian along for more than one reason, each one involving the safety of the two women. However, he also knew better than to argue; once his sister's mind was made, there was little chance of changing it. He would just have to trust them to look out for each other and get the job done.

"Well, if you two are all set, then I wish you both good luck. And Alicia..." David spoke sternly, giving his sister that I'm-your-brother-so-you-better-listen look. "...be careful."

She returned the request with a wry grin and a voice that oozed confidence, "Look at who you're talking to! We'll be fine."

Seemingly satisfied with that answer, David next turned his attention toward Linia and offered a short bow. "A pleasure meeting you, Miss Lan'gressa."

And with that he strode toward the door and made his exit. Alicia watched her brother leave, and once he had done so she turned her smile toward her new companion. "Okay, make sure you have everything you need. Are you ready to go?"

Anonymous

Linia gave David a small curtsy, smiling shyly at him, "It was very nice to meet you."

She was feeling quite excited about the chance to get to go help people. Though she would admit that she was a tad nervous that she would get in the way. But hopefully she would be more of a help then  a hindrance to Alicia.

At the other girls question, Linia glanced down at her large bag, "Oh. I would need to stop by the house I've been staying at. My clothes are there. Though it will only take me a moment to grab them. I don't really bother to unpack much." She flushed a little, "If you don't mind, I can meet you back in the square in a few minutes?"