Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Stupid bunny. [Zombieczarina!]

Started by Rhindeer, November 20, 2007, 09:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Eyes wide and with a gleeful and perhaps slightly infuriating grin on her bright little face, Cinder watched the male Drygan's face change shades - from surprised to defiant, then, to her amusement, to embarassment, and finally to surly indifference. Cinder decided she liked him already, probably due to the fact that he didn't seem to be taking to her all that enthusiasticaly. Her better conscience was telling her that these two were Drygans, and Drygans were powerful. Her slightly-less-than-better conscience, however, couldn't care less.  

Cinder had been turning cartwheels in the center of the flames. She was happy, she was free, and, well, cartwheels seemed quite appropriate. However, she paused in mid-turn when the question of her edibility came up. Eat her?  Her high-pitched voice came through the flames again. "Eat me? Well, you two seem like such friendly types!" She tumbled back so she was the right way up. "But no, mister Drygan, attempting to eat me for dinner is not the way to get rid of me. I assure you, it's not that easy." So they were hungry, huh? They'd better not ask her to do any cooking.

But now the female Drygan was addressing her. Cinder spun around in a little circle, and, suddenly waxing conversational, sat down, cross-legged in genie style, and floated like that in the fire's heart. Subtly, she paled the colour if the flames so that they could see her better. She really should learn their names, she supposed. Referring to them as 'male' and 'female' Drygan was going to get tiresome. She took the opportunity to introduce herself.
"Me? I am the absolutely splendid, ravishingly glamorous, highly intelligent, brilliantly witty and all-round scintillatingly interesting fire-sprite they call Cinder."  She was, of course, talking as if she assumed they already knew what a fire-sprite was. This she tended to do.
"What I am not is a kitchen-hand, pocket cigar-lighter, lantern, hearth-faerie, or, believe it or not, magician's assistant. Although there has been some confusion concerning that lately, I must admit." She announced all this with a bright smile on her face. Well, this was Cinder talking, and she did everything with flair.

That aside, however scintillatingly interesting the sprite might have been, what she would have looked like to Ra'rin was this. In the center of the fire was a hand-span tall pixie-like creature, dressed in a soot-grey dress that was mostly rags. Her long hair was, predictably, firey red, making a contrast with her skin, which was either darker naturally or had been greyed by soot, but which had not been marked by age. She had two tattered grey wings, which were perhaps like a moth's, not beautiful, but seemingly decorative, as she wasn't using them for levitation. They looked in one place like they had been slashed by a kitchen knife, and Cinder used them to gesture with, like a person would with their hands.  This rag-doll faerie peered out from the fire with two beady, shining red eyes.

Currently oblivious to any confusion she may have been creating, Cinder was busy being friendly. "And yourselves?"

Anonymous

Ra'rin listened the the spirit with polite interest. The creature seemed to speak rather quickly and was rather full of herself. Which wasn't a trait the female Drygan was fond of. But the...fire-sprite? didn't seem a bad sort. Just slightly odd.

And it was always fun to watch Yarra get so flustered and pouty. Ra'rin hadn't known the other Drygan long, but he was rapidly getting himself adopted by her.

She smiled at the pixie in the flames, "It is a pleasure to meet you Cinder. I am Ra'rin. The huffy male is Yarra."

Rhindeer

"Scinti-wha...?" Yarra blinked several times, obviously not very up-to-date on "big" words, and then he shook his head and rubbed the bridge of his nose. Eating that little bug was sounding better and better by the moment, though he supposed the whole mouth burning thing would be a drag. Damn. "Yeah, glamorous and witty, I'm sure you are," he muttered when she was through with her spiel, her high pitched voice already starting to give him a headache as he squinted into the fire, studying her tattered wings. She looked like a little person from the front, but...

No, no, she was a bug. He just couldn't accept her as anything but a bug, especially with wings like that. Plus he was a little miffed that she'd turned her back to him. Not that he cared since she was a bug he wouldn't mind eating, it was just a common courtesy, of course. Eugh. Still he listened as the fire-sprite spoke, absently wondering if she was related to fireflies, and he gave a little snort when she listed what she wasn't. No, actually he thought she might make a pretty good lantern...or rather, it'd work if she was put inside one, and--

He perked up when he heard the sprite ask their names, and he had just opened his mouth to answer when Ra'rin beat him to it. Gah!

"I'm not huffy!" Yarra huffed, the tip of his tail twitching like a cat's as he shot Ra'rin a quick glare. Looking back to the fire and the bug, he drew his knees up to his chest and curled his tail around his legs, frowning. No, he was so not huffy! He was just a bit cold and in a sour mood, naked with two females being all...female. Huffy! She made him sound like a woman. "And even if I was, I'd have a good excuse," he added in an undertone, hunching his shoulders and letting out a low sigh. Okay. So maybe he was being a little...snappish. Whatever. Time to get off this subject before he could get picked on more.

"Anyway, Ra'rin, you said you had food. If the bug won't make a good meal, maybe she can make herself useful and cook it, at least."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Ra'rin smiled at Yarra's little tantrum. The boy was rather amusing. He gave Ra'rin the strongest urge to ruffle his hair like some small child. But that would probably upset him, "I'm sure your life or death battles with rivers and rabbits has made you grumpy."

Ra'rin couldn't resist reaching over at patting him on the knee before she started to rummage for her food. She didn't have a whole lot as she tended to hunt for her food. But she always kept a bit for emergencies.

"Sadly, it is mostly dried rations. But when you are feeling a bit dryer, we can hunt. I can see what I can do to make this a bit more appetizing." She held out a strip of dried venison, "Do you want to eat this while I cook?"

Despite Yarra's fits of huffiness, or maybe because of it, Ra'rin was enjoying his company. He was so much like an overgrown child. And she had missed having someone to mother.

She turned her attention to the small sprite in the fire, "Would you like any food? And do you mind if I use the fire to cook?"

Rhindeer

Yarra hissed softly, narrowing his yellow eyes at Ra'rin. "You're never gonna let me forget that, are you?" he asked, and he had the strongest urge to slap her hand when she pat him on the knee, though instead he just twitched a little and hunched his shoulders. What was that about, patronizing him? And he was not grumpy! "And it wasn't life or death. Except for the stupid bunny," he added in an undertone, staring down at his knee.

As soon as he was dry and comfortable again, he was so stalking that sucker down! Show it to make a fool of him...

He looked back up when he realized she was talking to him, and when she held out the strip of meat, he snatched it from her grip before she could hardly finish the last sentence. "I'll take it!" he said, and his voice sounded notably lighter. Alright, so part of his problem was that he was really hungry, and when he got hungry, his already prickly temperament got all the worse for it.

He took a couple of sniffs at the meat before sinking his sharp teeth into it and tearing off a chunk, and his nose wrinkled a little as he chewed. Ick. Dry and chewy as all hell, but it was meat. It would do until he could get some real, delicious, moist, hot food...which he had no qualms eating raw, either. But this wasn't bad; it still tasted like deer, and as he polished off the strip, it did fill some of the void in his gut.

Licking his lips and flicking his tail, it was then that he remembered his manners. Oops. "Thanks," he told her before he looked over to the flames, abruptly remembering the firebug when Ra'rin spoke to it. Oh right. And it had been so blessedly quiet, too...

"You better say 'yes'," he mumbled, still convinced that was all she was good for--aside from eating. But anything was good for eating right now, and Yarra had dined on grubs before. Ugh. Best not to remember those times. He reached over to check his drying clothes, then grabbed the breeches and held them up closer to the fire, trying to get them to dry faster. They were still really damp, but no longer drenched. "Speaking of, Ra'rin, we could probably hunt soon."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Ra'rin frowned when she saw hoe fast Yarra devoured the meat. He must be very hungry. She liked her meat raw, but was used to having to cook it for other people. She stood up, stretching her legs, "If you don't mind little sprite, I think I should take my friend hunting."

She held her hand out to Yarra, "You should have said something earlier. When did you last eat." The Drygan shook her head, the beads on the end of her hair clinking together, "Silly boy."

Her mothering instinct made her want to take care of everyone. And not noticing how much Yarra needed food made her feel like she had failed. And Ra'rin was looking forward to hunting.

Once the male was on his feet, she leaned over, bumping his forehead lightly with her own, "You shouldn't be so stubborn. Do you want to eat a bit more before we hunt?"

Anonymous

Cinder's wings quivered at the mention of cooking. Cooking? They wanted to use her fire to cook? Aside from the fact that as a fire-sprite she had no need to eat, gaining all her nourishment from the fire itself, and therefore didn't really understand the whole fascination with charring meat or roasting this or that, Cinder had a whole bevy of bad memories associated with cooking fires. It was was of the qualities fire sprites were sought after for - to enhance cooking fires, to boil large amounts of water, to keep stoves and kilns and ovens burning all night. For her own part, she'd been imprisoned for decades in some unnamed castle in Earth's wilds, roasting banquets and frying fat and making sure the bakers never had to rise too early, for the fires were already built. She could remember being trapped for months in the dank and slovenly galley of a pirate ship.. possibly they had been slavers, she didn't know, but in any case they'd had her making smoke to preserve their meat, and as far as she was concerned that was just as bad. And oh, what else, she'd been the ghost in the machine of the dungeon fires in Necromantia, where they smelted and "..baked worse things than muffins, I can tell you!". Cinder puffed to a halt, shaking her tiny fist, and realised she'd been ranting aloud. The fire, if fire could be described like this, was boiling snapping. She blanched, although it was hard to see in the glare of the fire. Great. Half her life story and these two Drygans.. well, they probably had other things to think about. Nevertheless, it was an important injustice to her Cinder-centric mindset, and as far as she was concerned if a few people got an earful about it, well, it was probably for the best.
Talk turned to hunting. With a few words to the effect that if cooking and hunting were on the menu, she wasn't inclined to stick around, thankyou very much, she saluted Ra'rin and then, hands on her hips and with a little huffing sound, blinked out of their presence. The glow from the fire dimmed considerably.

OOC) Well, as I'm not active enough to keep my part of this thing going at the moment, I think I'll leave you two to it - but rest assured that when I have more time, and when these two next light a fire, Cinder won't be too far away.

Rhindeer

Yarra took Ra'rin's hand and rolled his eyes before he could help it as she chastised him. And called him a silly boy. Boy? Boy?! He wasn't a boy! He was a grown Drygan, dammit! Maybe not all that old or anything yet at only nineteen, which was a drop in the bucket for a species that had incredible longevity--if they didn't get killed first, at least. But still! Boy! He ground his teeth together and let her hoist him to his feet, then gave her the single most bland look he could muster when she lightly bumped her forehead with his and told him not to be so stubborn.

Baaah...

"I'm not stubborn. And you sound like my mum," he added, a bit more poutily than he'd meant. He wouldn't answer how long it had been since he'd last eaten because that would no doubt span even more coddling and chastising, and he hated being teased! Besides, he also didn't want her to know how inept as a Drygan he was, having been cursed with a penchant for clumsiness. If he was on a flat road with no obstacles in his path, leave it to him to trip over his own tail.

He pulled away from Ra'rin, tugging his hand out of her grip, and snorted. "No, I'm fine. Lemme just get dressed and we can--"

That was when he heard the fire start snapping furiously, and he thought he could hear a squeaking. Looking to the fire, he blinked several times when he finally caught the words, and then he chuckled. What the hell? Was the bug having an epileptic fit there? Could bugs even have epileptic fits? Yarra stared into the fire as she ranted about fires and fat and pirates and Necromantia, came to a stop, and then saluted Ra'rin and vanished.

Heeey...what about him?

Double bah. Whatever. Like he cared that some insect wasn't giving him any respect. Pfft.

"That was weird," he commented as the fire dimmed, and glanced around the forest briefly. "This forest has some demented fireflies..."

With a shrug, he snatched up his breeches, which were by then mostly dry with some damp patches here and there, and quickly wiggled into them, threading his tail through an opening in the back and doing up the laces in the front. Any embarrassment he might have had earlier was long gone. He shrugged on his vest and did up the clasps, then grabbed his hair tie and hastily braided his hair. It as a messy braid full of loose hairs sticking out all over the place as he'd had no time to really groom--and he did like to groom, he was particular about his hair--but it would serve its purpose for the duration of the hunt.

"Well, Ra'rin, ready when you are."

Anonymous

The female gave a small, confused wave the the fire as the sprite vanished into it. That had been a very strange encounter. Interesting and amusing and very strange.

Ra'rin waited patiently for Yarra to get dressed. smiling at him, "I can't help sounding like your mother. You sound like a child."

She stretched her arms out above her head, loosening herself up a little. She had a sword with her stuff, but she didn't tend to use weapons to hunt. She was more the amply equipped by nature to take down an animal.

Once he had finished dressing, Ra'rin gave her arm one final stretch, "Can you track at all? Or should I?" The question was asked with out any hint of teasing or rancor, the Drygan was just curious.

Rhindeer

Yarra fixed Ra'rin with his most 'I am so not amused' scowl. "I do not," he said, tail knocking the heads off of a few unfortunate dandylions as it lashed irritably behind him, betraying his emotions. Not that he didn't already wear them on his sleeve as it was...

Child. He did not act like a child, he grumped to himself and stretched out his legs and arms quickly. Anyone would be a little cranky after getting thwarted by a bunny, falling into a river, and getting teased mercilessly by the one who had witnessed such epic failure, and they would be even more grumpy when they realized that said epic failure would likely haunt them for the rest of their lives just because there were witnesses.

"And yes, I can track just fine," he answered a bit stiffly, standing up straight and flipping some hair out of his face. "Seriously, you act like I can't take care of myself just because I have one little screw up that you got to see." Among many others she hadn't gotten to see, like the time he ended up hanging upside down from a tree from stepping in a trap, or his many other clumsy endeavors that came about from his natural lack of grace. He had the scars on his knees to prove it. "I'll have you know I've got a great nose. I could smell a mouse ten feet underground and like...I know what deer tracks and stuff look like..."

He shifted a little, giving her a sidelong look. Alright, that was a lie, his nose wasn't that good and unless the tracks were deep and obvious, he couldn't tell what the heck had stepped there. And okay, so he couldn't spot or smell a trap before he stepped in it, but...

That was beside the point, and she didn't have to know that.

"Well, are we going or what?" he asked gruffly as he turned and started to walk in a random direction, tail swishing behind him. "Much as I'd love to stand around talking about hunting, it's more filling for the stomach if you actually do it."

Anonymous

Ra'rin returned Yarra's scowl with a bright, tooth revealing grin, "Oh, of course you don't." The sarcasm that dripped from her words was almost tangible. Poke-the-pissy-drygan was quickly becoming her new favorite game. He just looked so cute when he got all huffy like that. And his tail always gave him away.

Her clawed fingers twitched as she resisted the urge to hug him tightly. When he made that grumpy face, all she wanted to do was go, "Awwwww!" and huggle the smaller male. But Ra'rin would take some pity on the poor boy...for now.

"Oh, yes. I am sure you are a mighty hunter of things that are bigger then a rabbit. It's just the small, quick borrowing ones that cause you problems." Ra'rin couldn't help but smirk at the male. He was so bad at lying. Though she would give him some benefit of the doubt. Though how he had lived this long was beyond her. Good thing he had Ra'rin now. Someday she would tell him he had been adopted, she was actually rather looking forward to the boy's response.

Ra'rin gave a low, mocking boy to Yarra as he stalked off, "Of course mighty hunter. With that nose of yours I am sure you will find us something to hunt soon." She would keep an eye out for some real food on the chance that Yarra utterly failed at finding them anything. She did want to make sure the kid ate something.

Rhindeer

An indignant "hmph" was Yarra's only reply as he continued to stalk off, tail held high so he didn't lash any bushes and scare off the prey. Not that he wasn't already doing a good job of that, considering he was walking heavily and moodily as opposed to softly and quietly. After a few moments, though, he turned off the trail and headed through the undergrowth, sparing a single backwards glance at Ra'rin to see if she was still following him. It was at that point that he fell more into the role of a hunter than a grumpy kid for his movements became more focused, more graceful, more deliberate and careful. He stepped lightly, draconic feet tough but padded enough to quiet his footsteps, and his nostrils flared as he inhaled and exhaled deeply.

He'd show her. He could track when he wanted to.

Maybe he'd even find that stupid bunny. Settle the score.

After a few moments, Yarra dropped down onto his hands and knees and sniffed at the ground, tail raised high in the air like a flag and waving back and forth absently. Some of the plants nearby had been nibbled on, and he searched the ground for tracks. "I think maybe a deer's been here," he said after a moment, sitting back on his knees and looking back over his shoulder at Ra'rin. "That'd probably be too big for us. I mean, I could take it but...that's a lot of meat. Unless you wanna...?" He tilted his head to the side and raised an eyebrow.

Anonymous

As Yarra stomped off, Ra'rin smiled lightly, shaking her head. She really hoped that he was better at tracking then this or they were going to have some problems. The half-breed kept up easily, staying behind Yarra so not to get in his way. Her movements were graceful and confident. She was a hunter and a warrior in perfect physical condition and while Ra'rin wasn't the prettiest of females, she was impressive to watch move.

He wasn't totally hopeless at least, once he got off the main road. He wasn't great, but he was quite a bit better then she had expected him to be. Which was good, though it meant Ra'rin couldn't tease him much about it. And he was so fun to tease, he got so huffy and angry. Made her want to hug him, which would probably piss him off more. There was a tempting thought.

But one that should wait until after he had eaten. Or, maybe while he was eating.

Ra'rin lifted her head, sniffing the air, "I would love to eat. I haven't had much today either. And a hunt will work up a good appetite." And anything that was left would be eaten by scavengers. Her lips pulled back in a wide, dangerous smile, "You think you are up for it, little boy?"

She couldn't help it. It was just so easy.

Rhindeer

Yarra's upper lip curled in a snarl, baring dangerously sharp teeth, as he fixed Ra'rin with a slit-eyed glare. Little boy?! An inhuman growl rumbled deep in his throat and he clambered to his feet and faced her, talons digging into the soil and hands balled into fists. "Of course I'm up for it. And I'm not little! Come on!" he hissed before he spun around on his heel, tail and braid alike whipping out behind him. If Ra'rin had been any closer, that tail would have smacked her--and he knew good and well how much that hurt. It was one of his many built-in weapons.

"Gods, just 'cause I fell in the river," he grumbled to himself as he started off again, on the trail of the deer now. Then again, he'd rather find a patronizing Drygan than one that wanted to kill him, not that they'd have much to gain from someone as weak in power as he was, and this one didn't even know anything about Drygans. Poor Yarra didn't realize she was just teasing him. He was so reclusive, he just didn't really get it; instead of interpreting it as playful jabs, he took her words to heart and now felt like he had something to prove. His pride was at stake here. No way he was making a fool of himself in front of a female--at least, not again.

She wanted to hunt deer, he'd hunt deer, and damn if he wouldn't bring the thing down himself. Little boy. Pah!

He quieted down again, however, and pushed the frustration out of his mind so he could focus on the task at hand, listen to his five senses and move silently. He spotted deer droppings and paused to examine them. They were fresh. Yarra looked back at Ra'rin again, only the tip of his tail moving now, and nodded. Their prey couldn't be far off now.

Yarra climbed over a fallen tree trunk, then froze abruptly, body going rigid and alert as he stayed perched in a crouch on the trunk, claws gripping the bark. He heard something up ahead, and he narrowed his eyes and leaned forward to try and peer through the thick growth up ahead. Something was moving up there; he could see motion through the gaps in the leaves, something brown....He leaned forward a little more and nearly slipped off the trunk entirely. The only thing that saved him was his tail, lashing out backwards and curling around a branch jutting out of the fallen tree.

He reeled himself back in and glanced over at Ra'rin, expression calm and cool so as not to betray his near screw-up. "I think it's up there," he whispered. "If you go around to the other side, we can ambush it, cut off its escape..."

Anonymous

Ra'rin just tilted her head, looking Yarra over, smiling slightly, "Well, I will point out that you are smaller then I am. Which makes you little in my book." She should lighten up a little on the poor kid, even though he made it so easy to tease.

Stepping back lightly to make sure she wasn't hit by either braid or tail, she shook her head lightly, amused by his tantrum. Though he seemed a competent enough tracker, moving well through the forest. She just hoped he was this good in a hunt. While deer were not the most dangerous of prey, they were rather large and if one wasn't careful, they could cause a fair amount of damage with their powerful legs and sharp hooves.

The female Drygan moved almost silently after Yarra, her movements sure and graceful. Ra'rin wasn't the prettiest or girlish woman, but this was what she was built for. Both sides of her genetics blended together to make her a very effective hunter.

When Yarra froze she went utterly still, eyes on him, nostrils flaring as she tried to get the scent of what was ahead, though it was hard over the scent of the male Drygan. Then Yarra was starting to lean rather far forward.

Moving quickly Ra'rin started to reach for the male, then stopped as he righted himself. The poor baby had been teased enough so Ra'rin pretended to not have noticed, just nodding at his suggestion, "Alright. I'll follow your lead on this one."

With a small nod, Ra'rin slipped off into the underbrush, vanishing silently into the woods as she circled around the deer, every so often glancing back to where Yarra was to make sure she didn't lose sight of him. Once she was far enough around, she settled down into a crouch, ready to spring into action at Yarra's signal.

Rhindeer

Yarra waited until she was in position, sharp eyes following her movements. Once she had stopped, he waited, wanting to make sure she was good and settled and ready before he launched their assault. The deer was still grazing and the air was still. They would have to be quick or it would start to pick up their scent soon.

Not more than a minute passed before Yarra launched himself off his perch and took off through the undergrowth, long, powerful legs carrying him forward with surprising speed and tail lashing out behind him to maintain his balance. He may not have been strong for a drygan, small as he was with so little white in his hair, but he certainly had speed going for him and he managed to cover a good amount of ground before the deer, a female, reacted and bolted.

And of course, she bolted in the only sensible direction--away from him, which was, unfortunately for her, straight toward Ra'rin.

"Cut her off!" he called. The deer was too fast for him, but once Ra'rin sprang out to attack she would likely be startled, and then he could take advantage of that.

Anonymous

Watching Yarra, Ra'rin kept out of sight, waiting for the animal to bolt. She flexed her legs lightly, ready to spring into action. For all that he failed at digging out rabbits, he wasn't so bad with the deer. He moved well, fast and nimble.

Then the deer was coming her way. The hunter licked her lips, clawed feet digging into the ground, ready to kick off. Not too soon, didn't want the deer to turn and miss her chance. Heart pounding, Ra'rin tensed, then sprang out, startling the deer, making it stumble mid-leap.

Ra'rin was a big, solid girl made of mostly muscle and she slammed into the side of the deer. The foe gave a shrill, almost human sounding scream as it went down. It seemed a shame to take the glory from Yarra so Ra'rin gave the male plenty of time to catch up, making sure the deer would stay down if it managed to get to its feet before Yarra could catch up.

Rhindeer

Yarra had to wince when the thing screamed. Hunter he was, but heartless he wasn't--no matter what show of bravado he put on. No matter, though, he was a hunter and it was his prey and dammit but he wanted to eat! So when it went down, and when Ra'rin kept it down, he wasted no time and sprinted to catch up. Running was his strong point.

Feh! Bunnies might be able to get away with their stupid...bunny wiles, but deer were no match for him!

"Hey Ra'rin, watch how it's done!" Yarra called out as he closed in.

The deer down, he leaped through the air and landed hard on its side, taloned feet digging deep into its flesh to hold on. At least, it would have let him hold on if the creature wasn't flailing and struggling and it had sounded like a good idea at the time--it would look so brave and macho, landing on the creature like that to deliver the finishing blow, and while he'd never admit it he was maybe trying to show off in front of Ra'rin a bit, just to salvage his pride. Unfortunately, his fantasy was not the reality, and as he leaned down to swipe his claws across the doe's throat to finish the hunt and take all the glory, it thrashed and he lost his balance and toppled over with a yelp.

Just in time to receive a nasty kick in the ribs from one sharp, flailing hoof.

It sent him rolling over the leaf-covered ground until he finally came to a stop a good distance away where he lay motionless.

Anonymous

Keeping a struggling deer down wasn't easy and Ra'rin was glad that Yarra was fast. And then he was jumping. The warrior hadn't expected that and was a little startled by it. She pulled back, not wanting to get hit by the smaller male.

"Yes yes. Now finish i-YARRA!" Gasping, Ra'rin was horrified to see Yarra trip, losing his balance on the doe, just in time to get one of those vicious hooves to the chest. Snarling, Ra'rin grabbed the does head and wrenched it with a harsh twist, snapping it's neck. Not even bothering with it, Ra'rin crawled over it in her attempt to get to Yarra.

"Yarra!? Are you okay? Speak to me!" It could be nothing more then a bruise to a rather dangerous injury and Ra'rin had no idea which one it was. Dropping back to her knees when she reached the male, Ra'rin did her best to look him over with out moving him too much, trying to gauge the damage, "Come on you big baby. Don't tell me you got beat up by a girl?" Her voice was far from teasing, mostly worried and a little scared. Ra'rin was a mother at heart and she had already half-adopted Yarra. He was like a little kid. And seeing him hurt was upsetting for the warrior.

Rhindeer

For a few long seconds, Ra'rin's only reply was silence. Then Yarra twitched and his shoulders shook with a convulsive wheezing cough, followed by a low groan and more coughs. "Oh...ow..." he moaned, gasping, and tried to curl in on himself more before stopping because bending like that hurt, so instead he curled his tail around one of his legs and cracked his eyes open. They were bleary and dazed, as the blow had stunned him good and the pain made his eyes water, but he was clearly all right. Or as all right as you could be after getting kicked by a deer.

"Nngh...I had her," he wheezed, and after a few more moments of just laying there and blinking dazedly he gingerly slid an arm under himself and tried to push up off the ground. He had to move slowly, the left side of his ribcage aching awfully. Something was probably broken--he'd broken enough bones in his time to know--but he did his best to ignore it, sharp teeth bared in a grimace. "It was a lucky shot...cheap shot...help me up, will ya? Don't just sit there staring."