Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

A mix of Luck

Started by Anonymous, January 16, 2008, 03:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Thalia felt a light redness creep into her cheeks.  First she messed up the whole flirting thing and then this!  She'd grown up in these woods and yet she'd managed to go the wrong way.  Hopefully Pal wouldn't think she was too stupid from all of this.  "Eh, right!  I knew that of course.  I just um... got a little confused for a second.  I was about to change direction naturally."  She quickly set off in the direction Pal had indicated, while silently punishing her self for the pathetic excuse.  "Let's get going!  Trekking is totally fine with me!"

There she went again!  She really needed to stop opening her mouth.  Every time she did something even more stupid than the last thing she said came out.  Thalia had always been scolded by the Kirin elders for not learning to think before speaking, but she'd ignored them.  She'd never realized saying the first thing that came to mind could be so embarrassing!  Well she'd just have to practice starting now!

First to think of a good conversation topic that would pull Pal's mind away from the silly things she'd just said.  Forcing herself to put a minute or two of thought into it, she stated, "So have you been to this city before Pal?"  She kept her voice even, but inside she was silently cheering herself for finally saying something that didn’t humiliate her.  Now she just had to continue carefully considering each... and... every... reply...  Now that sounded boring......  But she would force herself to do it, so she could avoid any more awkward situations!

Anonymous

"Hey, I didn't even know where it was." Palzerus said with a small shrug. He did notice her blush, but he was actually confused by it really. Blushing meant two things, and she couldn't be...er...in the mood right? So why was she embarrassed? That was just silly wasn't it? Pal decided to just...let her do her thing then, best not to bring it up and make her feel even worse the poor thing. Last thing he needed was to get her all flustered! "Good because I can't fly and I doubt I can transport us both through the mist." He had never tried to take two people through the Wraith way of teleporting but he was sure it wouldn't work.

Best to just walk.

"Not this city no, but in every land cities are really just the same." Pal explained, falling in step beside her. "See, cities can start out like villages, or towns really. What happens is more people flock to a particular city for a good reason, maybe it's closer to royalty, maybe it has a good trade route, or a fantastic port where ships can dock and new and exciting spices or materials can be delivered. Whatever the case, people decide to settle down there, for the jobs, and as they expand, they start to get more recognition. Soon the population grows large, and barracks start getting put into place, people can join the military and help defend the city, or they can become traders or merchants. Eventually that just keep happening, it gets bigger and bigger until it's a city. I don't think this world has metropolises yet. Hooey, THOSE are really big." Pal had been to a world that had a metropolis. One million people lived there, and it was crazy!

That's what happens when you build a city in levels though! More and more room for people until population is out of control! Still, he liked the red light district there. Pretty fancy.

Anonymous

Thalia let herself relax a little when Pal made no outward side that he noticed her foolishness.  Of course, she continued to remind herself that she needed to think about what she was about to say.  No more blurting out random things!

Transporting through the mist?  Now that sounded exciting!  But Thalia could wait.  Pal seemed uncertain about it, and she didn't want something to go wrong.   She hadn't forgotten about his bad luck after all!  Though she had faith in her own good luck, she wasn't sure she wanted to see if they cancelled each other out or not.  Plus she just loved walking through the woods.  Everything was so beautiful and serene.  Of course it could get rather boring, hence the reason she was leaving.

She listened with silent interest to Pal's description of cities.  "Wow!  Cities sound amazing!"  She blurted out.  Suddenly remembering her new speaking verdict, she paused and thought about what to say next.  "Do you think we'll be able to see everything the city has to offer?"  Thalia queried.  "I really hope so!  It sounds like it'll be a ton of fun!  Though maybe not as exciting as those metropolises things."  She smiled at Pal, though her thoughts were filled with her thoughts of all the possibilities a city had to offer.  She really couldn't wait!

Anonymous

When he managed to do a few tests with the mist, they'd be able to start teleporting with that as best as possible, but he really didn't want to take hold of her, pull her with him, and suddenly find out he's only managed to take her arm with him. That would really be a very bad thing. So he was just going to study his little trick for just a bit before he was actually going to try it out. He didn't much care for the idea of hurting poor Thalia.

"Well, they are rather amazing I suppose. I mean, there are some pretty fun places though there!" Hmmm. He wondered if they had clubs here. He knew taverns and all that might exist, an opera house or two, but clubs...oh he loved clubs! They were in the more modern settings, and they were just for dancing and drinking. Heh. This place probably hadn't gone too far for that...it required a much hardier beat for that matter! Ah well. He was gonna try to show her everything there! Shops, merchants, whatever was there, he was going to teach her much there!

Just had to be careful he kept himself line here. Gotta be a gentleman after all. Besides, there was time to go into detail about that sort of thing later. Heh heh. He was actually glad things worked out this way, instead of just jumping right into his usual way of life.

He'd get to learn about her and her people! And he'd be able to teach her about humans, and about himself and his people...which...wasn't the best thing. He'd pretty much explained all about his people by now.

Anonymous

Thalia quicked her pace slightly without even realizing it.  She knew they were nearing the edge of the forest, and therefor even closer to their destination.  Her mind was filled with imagined images of the city.  She had enough sense to know she was probably way off, but she didn't care.  She'd be set right soon enough!

"We're almost to the edge of the forest Pal!"  She exclaimed.  "Say, how far is the city once we leave the forest?  Unless you can't tell, which is perfectly fine of course."  Thalia really hoped he'd be able to tell, and that he would say it wasn't too far off; but she would understand if he couldn't tell her.  He knew this world even less than she did!

"Oh there it is!"  She pointed ahead to where the trees thinned and light came pouring through.

Anonymous

((If your Neeva Hansler isn't doing anything...this could be a brilliant oppurtuniiiity x3))

Pal could keep up, he didn't even have to walk, he could just float. IF he were a wraith. Being a wraith meant you could be so much lazier, and Pal just enjoyed that little tidbit really. Still, it was best to follow on foot, not to lord over the fact he could simply whisk ahead of her on a misty cloud. Beside, he liked the idea of being able to race her if they came to a nice big open field really.

"Uhmmm...a good while. Weeks actually. We have to cross several rivers, one really really large one, and then a couple of small ones and then..." Pal left that hanging as some mist was drawn up in front of him, his hand waving about in it. "Then there is a river right near it. Y'know, it might actually be smarter for us to take a boat! Oh that would be so cool. We could sail up the big river in the boat, then when we get to the split we could take one of the boats...er..smaller boats, like one of the row boats, and we can just follow THAT river upwards to the city!" Pal clapped his hands together, causing the mist to disappear from all the movement. Oh he was excited by this prospect.

Boats and ships! Surrounded by water, by HIS element! Mist and ice and water all around! Oh he loved boats! To him they were just like wraiths made of wood. Some sort of strange wooden construct wraith. Oh ho that would be terrific! Ahem. He was getting ahead of himself of course.

"Finding a nice ship might be a trouble, but I bet if we go around the port towns we can find one!"

Anonymous

Thalia felt her excitement deflate a little.  The city was weeks away?  It was not the time that bothered her; a year was a flash in a Kirin's life, let alone weeks.  But the distance that she'd have to cross to get to her destination!  She had not realized just how BIG the world was.  She did not think it could possibly be that much bigger than her forest home.  Well that didn't matter!  She was here now and she was not going back!  Not until she'd seen all of Le'raana!

Besides, she did have a nice travelling partner.  Thalia glanced over at Pal and smiled.  She'd be fine as long as he was around.  He'd protect her from anyone and anything.  And he could teach her all about the interesting human world!  The rivers wouldn't be that bad anyways... though she had never even attempted to walk over rapidly moving water.  

Suddenly Pal suggested they take a boat.  A boat! "I would love to take a boat!  I've never even been on one!  Oh that would really be so much fun!  Let's take a boat!  To the nearest port town!"  Thalia said gleefully.

They came upon the nearest town rather soon.  It was a small see village though, most vessels more suited for fishing rather than travelling.  All the same, Thalia was optimistic about their chances of finding a decent boat to travel in.  Of course she was rather naive of the ways of the human world.  "So we need a big boat for the big river, right Pal?"  She asked.

"Searching for a boat, are ya missy?" A very muscular man stepped out of the shadows.  Wait... that was a woman!  Or at least Thalia thought she was.  "Name's Neeva.  Neeva Hansler.  Ah just 'appen to beh in possession o' a fine craft.  Ah could easily bring ya where ever it be ya wish to go.  Provided ya 'ave ta coin to make it worth me while."  Thalia gave a nervous smile.  This woman/man was very intimidating.  She towered over Thalia, and her huge muscles kept tightening and loosening.  Her hair was messily cut and her ragged clothes fit rather tightly on her muscular shape.  Her face also bore marks that proved she'd been in a number of fights.

Thalia thought it through... and decided this might be a good opportunity!  With a woman... or man... like this, Pal wouldn't need to worry about protecting Thalia!  The two of them could just have fun while this Neeva person took care of all their troubles! "What do you think Pal?  This could be just what we're looking for!"

Anonymous

For a wraith, time was also irrelevant, however for Pal, it wasn't. Despite being able to live forever really...he was impatient, he liked things now and he hated having to wait all that much. It meant the fun that he could have, no matter how great and awesome, wasn't going to happen right away. Time was a restraint for Pal, it made his life so...damned boring. Still, Pal was always excited about time coming to an end so to speak. Not like the end of the world but just the end of the time that was restraining him. Yeah.

Something like that.

"Yes, we shall find a port town!" Pal announced with her, his voice just as happy and his grin as large as possible. The port town was just...a little sea village that smelled like fish. Always with the fish. Well. Fishy and ocean smelling. That just seemed like...normal really. He didn't mind care for it honestly. Not a very exciting place now that he looked at it. "S'right Thalia, a big boat for the big river."

The person coming from the shadows made Pal jump, in front of Thalia mostly, thinking this might be an attack. It was just a very...uhm...that was a woman. There were...a lot of muscles too. That was a little odd and...huh. Well...if he had to choose between Thalia and this...Neeva, he'd pick Thalia hands down. Heh. This...woman was tall and...muscular and...scary looking. Considering some of the scars, very strong too. That was...it wasn't a very good omen. Well. No that was a good omen once he thought about it. A tough...captain like that was um...likely to not get in a lot of trouble.

"I er...think this captain will suit us good." He stepped up to the captain, going through his strange garb for a moment until he pulled out a small bag, handing it over to the captain with a grin. "This should cover it, thirty pieces of gold." Pal then went on to explain what they needed, which was really a trip up the river to Aedolis. It was a rather large river...rather...really large after all.

"So, where's your ship? My lovely little friend and I would love to get to the big city!" Pal asked the large woman with a grin. Figure Pal would be able to tell the gender of the captain, being as he was very...interested in the different genders.

Anonymous

"Just give meh a moment." Neeva muttered, more focused on counting each and every coin that what her new clients were asking.  Once she was sure the bag truly held thirty gold pieces (and she'd checked that they were actual gold pieces) she looked up.  She gave the pair a smile, though she directed it more and that man who'd handed her the money.  He obviously handled the couples' money, and that made him important in Neeva's eyes.  "Jus follow meh, an' I'll show ye where she be."  She turned and started walking towards a more hidden part of the harbor.  "Now trust meh, if you've an eye for sea craft, you gonna agree dis boat is worth every one o' dem shinies you jus handed ta me."

She looked back to make sure they were following and gave them another smile when she saw that they were.  Thalia promptly decided she liked it better when the woman wasn't smiling.  Sure she was scary that way too, but when she smiled it reminded Thalia of a hungry predator.  This woman (Thalia was mostly sure it was a woman) definitely made her nervous.  However, she saw that as a good thing.  No one would attack a ship with a captain that looked like she had no problem with biting heads off.

"Ah, here we are.  Ya see what Ah was talkin' about?  She a beaute ain't she?"  Thalia had to agree.  She knew nothing of boats other than the fact that you could travel over water on them, but even she could tell this boat was of good quality.

"It's amazing!"  She said, her mouth hanging open a little.  The boat was painted a majestic blue that looked like it had been stolen from the evening sky.  The railings and other details were painted a shimmery silver, and accented the blue nicely.  A flapping noise drew Thalia's attention and she looked up to see a merry blue flag with a silver dolphin.

"Yus it is.  Da envy of every uther captain on da rive, the Dolphin Racer is."  Neeva looked at the ship smugly, obviously proud of her sea craft.  Abruptly she turned toward Thalia and Pal.  "Now we're still finishin' up our new paint job, so dis ship ain't sailin' 'til tomorrow.  Dat all right wit you?"

Neeva avoided mentioning the reason the ship was being repainted was because it had been remodeled recently, and the remodeling was so no one would recognize it.  The ship had been formerly known as the Golden Gryphon, until it had been attacked and seized by pirates.  None of the ship's former crew members were alive to say who stole the craft, but the law officials still hoped to find the boat.  The ship was still as steady and fine as before, but it was almost unrecognizable.  Its former captain may have seen through the paint and new look, but he was sleeping on the bottom of the river with a heavy chain around his legs keeping him company.

Her plan for the vessel was simple.  Make some small coin bringing travelers up and down the river safely.  She'd make sure they were well protected from the mysterious river bandits who had just started robbing the other traveling vessels on the river a couple weeks ago.  As her reputation of being the only travel boat that could make the trip safely grew, her customers would grow in number and purse size.  Eventually some fool merchant with a fat purse and heavy load would come aboard.  Mid-way, she would relieve him of his cargo and any bodily concerns.  She looked over the couple again judging their possible wealth by their clothes.  Neeva doubted they held much of worth.  They'd be safe from her.

Thalia nodded.  She could wait a day if it meant riding the river in a craft like this.  "Is it alright with you Pal?"  She turned away from Neeva to face him.  "I don't mind waiting a day, but if you do we can look elsewhere."  She'd prefer not to, she had a feeling this woman could fight off almost anything, but Pal was her travelling companion and he had the experience with such matters.

((Sorry I haven't been on.  It's college application time, so I've been busy with visits and all the other crazy things that happens with this.  Come January, or earlier if I get into my first choice school via ED, I should be able to be on more regularly.))