Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Of Radiance and Darkness

Started by Anonymous, January 25, 2008, 04:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The forest was so alive. That's what Cinae loved about it. The wind rustled through the leaves. Tiny feet scampered through the branches. Birds sang to bid the setting sun farewell. Everywhere was the beauty that was life. Six hundred years and she still liked being in a forest. It was a quiet place, but one could never complain about being alone.

The final rays of the setting sun soon vanished into the horizon and the nightlife of the forest began. Predators and prey alike came out the same time the moon did, all fighting to survive. The music of the forest rang in her ears and she smiled. Beautiful.

Most travellers would have found a safe spot to hole up for the night, sticking close to their fire and sleeping fitfully. Cinae needed little sleep and knew that nothing in the forest could hurt her. She smelled of light and fire, enough to keep most of the predators away. After all, she didn't smell anything like prey.

So she wandered the forest in the night, listening to the sounds, keeping an eye out for its creatures. The silent owl which swooped down upon its prey. The quiet mouse picking out seeds. The forest was so alive. That's what Cinae loved about it.

OOC: Hope that's enough for a starting post.

Lion

Where in the name of hell did that wizard run to? Dietrich thought wildly.  

As the finishing rays of sunlight fell behind the horizon line of trees, hills, and mountains, he had decided to leave Ketra.  The moon had risen early that day and its waning crescent was visible in the sky before its prominent blazing as it once again reigned over the world as night.  Ever since his blacksmithing day, he had always been an ardent admirer of weaponry and had made a purchase of a dagger Remilius had informed him of when the dark elf went into town the week before.  It's green glassy blade was beautiful as he had held it in his pale hands before he smiled to himself and concealed his prize in his coat pocket.  Though he didn't use weapons of any kind while hunting other than his hands, he did appreciate at beautiful blade once in a while.

Dietrich had made sure to leave as soon as the sun went down, having spent a short time in the roomy storeroom of an unsuspecting tavern to kill the time.  But as he was making his way through the darkened forest that was ridden alive by the noises of nature and life, something hit him so hard in the back of his head, the force of the blow was enough to knock him to the soil.  As he turned his head to gaze a glimpse of his attacker, he managed to make out a large man with white hair and bright robes before a blast of blue was relinquished by his hands and knocked the vampire unconscious.

It seemed like hours before he awakened with a splitting headache but he became fully awake when he felt the cold, evening air brace his flesh.  "What the-" he whispered to himself, looking about him when he realized- The damn wizard has robbed him!  "Bastard took my clothes too!"  Though he was not entirely deprived of clothing, as his jacket was the only garment remaining at his side aside from the undergarment he was wearing.  The dagger!  Quickly he dug into the jacket's pockets and found nothing.  He cursed loudly and wrapped the jacket around his waist in kilt-like fashion.  A string of obscenities escaped from his lips as he stepped cautiously about the underbrush, jerking his head maniacally for any sign of the thieving wizard or his clothes.

Despite the darkness, his electric blue eyes sparked with nightsight, every nocturnal creatures' ability to see perfectly in darkness.  Though the stars provided little light, it seemed one had manifested in the short distance ahead of him.  There was the figure of a woman vaguely distinguished from the shadows, however much a faint radiance emanated from her flesh.  Nonetheless he could tell she was being, and perhaps a being that could provide assistance to his unfortunate endeavor.  He decided to ask her if she had seen any white haired wizards running about with dark brown, leather clothing and a green, glass dagger.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Under the pale moonlight, Cinae seemed to glow faintly, a figure of light drifting through the trees. Her golden skin had a way of reflecting light that made it appear like she shone, and though animals were never fooled by the trick of light, simply dismissing her as yet another creature, humans seemed to find it beautiful.

By the time she wandered near to Dietrich's position, the wizard had vanished and she had not observed his passing. She did hear Dietrich long before she actually saw him though, the string of obscenities leaving his lips and reaching her ears, startling her. There was another person, and he sounded very angry. She wondered why.

Yellow eyes turned in the direction of the curses and she was greeted by an amusing sight. A man wearing his jacket around his waist. As he approached her, she revised her previous statement from what she could feel from his aura. Someone who looked like a man wearing his jacket around his waist. The amusing part was of course where he wore nothing else. That combined with the string of curses led Cinae to conclude he had been robbed.

'At least he's cute.' Cinae thought before moving closer to him. Some people she never wanted to see half naked. He at least was easy on the eyes. Since he was approaching her as well, they soon met under the trees.

"Hello." She greeted him with a lovely smile. "You look like you've encountered some sort of trouble. Can I help you in some way?"

Lion

Dietrich was surprised at her sudden demeanor.  Normally, any woman in her sane mind would run or blush fitfully at a half naked man approaching from completely out of nowhere, with only a jacket to cover his lower half.  But then again no person in their sane mind would be wandering around in the middle of a dangerous forest alone.  Which led Dietrich to assume that perhaps this one in particular had slid a little off her rocker too.  Her pleasant sentience would have been acceptable in a later time, however he was in no mood for cheeriness in the midst of this grim situation.

After wrapping the jacket securely around his waist, he advanced towards her and accepted her forward inquiry.  If he were more modest he would have flushed greatly at this disgraceful state.  Thank the divine he was not a modest man.  "You may, miss.  You wouldn't happen to have seen a wizard wandering around here did you?  Long, flowing white hair," Dietrich asked in a nonchalant mood, gesturing imaginary long hair about his own blood-red locks.  Though he spoke in a semi-gentle manner, the lightning storm of complete annoyance was evident in his eyes.

A part of him was analyzing the radiant creature before him.  She was rather attractive, her hair and eyes were the most prominent to him.  He did not catch himself gazing deeply into them but as he did so it was as if he could catch a glimpse of small flames flickering in their yellow state.  They were like tranquil candles that flickered and swayed with the calmness of the wind and if the wind were to reach the anger of the hurricane those once tranquil candles would burst into the raging inferno was hell's volcano.

He had a feeling that these eyes were capable of endless possibilities.  As wild and untamed as his own.  But he forced himself out on his foolish trance and focused his mind on expecting her answer.  "Uh... So have you?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Cinae shook her head, her wild locks tumbling all over the place. It was quite clear from her appearance that her hair was stubbornly unruly and would not accept attempts to tidy them up. It was also clear that she had given up trying. "I'm sorry. I'm afraid I haven't seen the wizard you're referring to." She replied as delicately as she could. He looked and sounded calm, but he was obviously annoyed. Her answer could only add to his annoyance.

She did want to help him though. Being in the forest so late at night, covered with just a jacket couldn't be very comfortable. That and the likely circumstances that got him into this situation would probably mean he was in a very bad mood. He did have several unusual features though. Aside from the fact he was obviously not human. But his eyes...they were so unusual. Just like he studied her, she also studied him, stealing glancing to the rest of his body. She didn't too perturbed at his presence, or even caring about the fact that she was essentially alone in a dark forest with a half-naked man.

"I might be able to help though." She finally said. Cinae made a sound that was a cross between a hoot and a whistle that echoed softly through the forest. In a few minutes, Dietrich could hear the quiet rustling of wings as dozens of nocturnal winged creatures alighted on nearby branches, staring down at the pair with their big eyes. "If you could tell me more about the wizard and how long ago it was when you last saw him, I could ask my friends to have a lookaround and see if he's still in the forest." She offered with a smile.

Her act of calling the birds had been so casual, it perhaps explained why she wandered through the forest so late at night without worrying for her safety. But it didn't appear to be some form of subtle threat as yellow eyes looked at him earnestly and waited for him to speak.

Lion

He knew he shouldn't be too quick to feeling, he mostly never was, but her eyes crawling on him made his skin seem to tingle.  It was not completely uncomfortable but it had been at least three hundred years since he had a woman stare at him in such a way.  The sensation, especially now, was unnerving to him.  Crossing his arms over his chest, he intended to hide the scar of fangs that were marked on the side of his left pectoral.

Dietrich's initial annoyance was not of his scantily clad self but the sheer fact that he had been bested by a mortal, or what he assumed was a mortal.  If someone had the nerve to attack and rob him blind was obviously not from this area nor had recognized him in anyway.  Though a vampire's permanent identity was their most precious secret, reputation was free to spread its shifting wings.  Those that knew of Dietrich Ambrose Chapel were wont to fear him, particularly apprehensive of his unpredictability.  All those feelings of resentment toward contempt and impudence had angered him so and set in stone his place in Cronus' coven.  Other vampires surely knew to watch their heads around him.  This wizard's ignorance would not go unpunished as far as he was concerned.

Holding a stern vigil over the winged creatures that had taken their landing in the canopy above them, his initial assumption that this woman was special was confirmed.  "Fancy creatures there," he commented smirking slyly.  "But as I've said before, the bastard's got long, flowing white hair, womanish features and a garbed in bright robes."  But as he was about to divulge the embarrassing means by which he had come across this situation, he questioned to himself the loyalties of this woman.  Could he trust her?  "You better!"  his rational conscience screamed at him.  "Unless you want to walk the rest of the way to Beniste Castle practically naked.  Don't be a mindless buffoon.  Take this help, you really have no alternative if you want to get your clothes back."

Sighing inwardly, he forced himself to continue, "He's quite tall.  At least that's what I measured him to be when he knocked me down on the ground.  I was walking down that trail back there," Dietrich turned behind him and pointed a direction a little towards his left, "when all of a sudden I felt a massive blow to my skull cause me to fall down.  I managed to get a small glimpse of him before he knocked me down with a blast of some blue light.  The time between here and now is a blur.  It was at least a half an hour ago.  He not only took my clothes but my recent purchase of a certain jade green glass dagger about yea long."  He made a length between his hands that measured to about a foot, blade and hilt included.

For some reason now, he had assumed a sort of calm in this woman's presence, unalarmed and unafraid by her erratic summoning of these familiars.  Her smile brightened his spirit in the face of this situation.  He would have had his reasons not to trust her.  It's not like he could read minds after all but she seemed harmless and genuinely eager to aid him.  "Well that's all I've got for you.  Hope you're little creatures will be able to work off of that."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"I'm not sure I would call owls and suchlike fancy. They're perfectly normal forest creatures." Cinae replied with amusement. She nodded as he began his description, trying to build an idea of the wizard in her head. Then she whistled again and repeated his description. "Hope you got that. Please look around and see if you can find this person. Thank you." She ended with a curtsey to the watching birds (with the occasional other type of flying creature) and they took off as silently as they arrived.

"They'll probably take a while. The forest is big enough to get lost in. Hopefully your wizard hasn't left the forest yet." She looked around, then found a fallen log to take a seat on. "Might as well take a seat. Sorry I can't offer you any clothes, but I do have this cloak if you like." She rummaged through her meagre belongings and came up with a simple cloak, offering the piece of cloth to him.

"I could start a fire if you're cold. Do you live nearby? If the search is fruitless, I could accompany you back to your home. Or to the nearest village if that's closer." Her manner was helpful and friendly. It helped that she viewed him as a person in need of aid. She even politely ignored all his scars and markings since he didn't seem to want to reveal them. Realising she needed wood if she wanted to have a sustainable fire, she began gathering some loose twigs to build a small fire.

Lion

"I doubt I'll be welcome in any established settlement.  Once news gets around, I'm hardly welcome anywhere aside from my home, which is too many miles away from here to get there in time."  He laughed slightly at her proposition.  It wasn't very funny in a comedic way but something in her words amused him.  Noting it was useless to try and hide anything that might give him away on his body, he let go of crossing his arms over his chest and let them hang loose at his sides.

"No," he continued.  "The cold doesn't bother me much but a fire wouldn't hurt."  Dietrich bent down to help her gather bunches of foliage to start a fire.  As he was cultivating the ground in his search he said with thankfulness, the sound of his voice indicating his temper dying down, "I'm very grateful for your help.  It's not often I come across someone was generous as you to help me out.  What's your name anyways?"  Leave it to a woman to calm his nerves.

Perhaps it had been a good thing that in the first hundred years or so of his immortality he had been forced to survive in the wilderness of the Draconi Forest.  Well, he hadn't exactly been forced, rather he went willingly because he couldn't stand to live in the same dwelling as Cronus and taking his pity was nerve wracking.  Dietrich braved the threat of being burned alive, killed by hunters and animals alike, and how to find sufficient shelter when needed.  He had not forgotten what it was like to live in the wilderness but he had to admit it had been a long while since he had to.  Grabbing up what thick, dry branches and leaves he could find, he cursed loudly when he remember the wizard also had taken his cigars and matches.  "Dammit," he cursed loudly and dropped the foliage on the ground to dig in his jacket pockets.  "Bastard took my matches too.  How's the fire to be lit?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Cinae gave a little shrug at Dietrich's reply. It seems there was yet another story inherent within that. Just like there was a story inherent in his scars. And yet another story surrounding his nature. This man was certainly enigmatic. It would be interesting to hear his stories if he cared to share them. But for now, she won't pry. He needed her help.

"My name is Cinae. I don't mind helping where I can. It costs me very little and it's worth knowing that someone has benefitted from what I've done. And your name?" She just agreed to help a perfect stranger as if it was a common, everyday thing. Perhaps it was just in her nature to do so. Since Dietrich was also gathering fuel for the fire, they quickly had a pile big enough to light a merry flame. Then he cursed again thanks to his loss of matches.

He had a temper, that was for certain. "You didn't think I would offer to start a fire if I couldn't light one did you?" She queried lightly. But the question was a rhetorical one. Kneeling down in front of the pile of firewood, she put her hands within the stack where the kindling had been placed, as if lighting a match. There was a snap of her fingers and the kindling caught fire, the flames quickly spreading to consume the wood. Soon, they had a merry fire going and the warmth of the fire seemed to spread to their surroundings, given the small clearing a warm and cosy feeling.

"Much better." She commented with a smile. "Have a seat. Are you hungry? I believe I have some rations. And we are surrounded by a bountiful forest."

Lion

Dietrich's brow furrowed in curiosity at her remark, watching her stick her hands in the kindling.  At the sight of the sudden spark quickly consuming the provided flame fuel, Dietrich was taken aback, surprised by the action.  In all of his centuries, he had never seen anyone light a blazing fire with their bare hands.  Sure, he had borne witness to Remilius' necromancy and reanimation of the dead.  He had supervised for he was, after all, dead himself and all his servants were mindless corpses that kept up the castle with the basic cleaning and shining.  Remilius, as hub of the castle, was a master at conjurings and incantations.  The only living beings that occupied it were the cooks, and the cooks... well, let's just say they are another story.

Cinae's feat amazed him and made him forget of his plight somewhat.  He did not want to pry and ask her how she did it, he was respectful enough of her to mind his own business.  A part of him suspected it might of had something to do with the beautiful glow that shed from her like an early morning's dark breeze.  The small clearing seemed to hold in the heat, spreading warmth onto Dietrich's naturally cold skin.  He took her offered cloak and tossed its ends around his shoulders.  It was soft and though meager in size, it was comfortable.  "Thank you," he said sincerely.

Seeing as there was no seat to be had that was close to the fire, Dietrich whirled his head around and spotted a hollowed out nearby log at the edge of the clearing.  He neared it quickly and rolled it over close to the blazing flames.  It was a small log, smoothed of bark as if animals had sharpened their claws on it too many times, completely stripping the bark from it.  He had pushed it with ease, his supernatural strength coming in handy in the most unpredictable of times; it was heavy by its look.  Taking a seat, he offered her the one beside him, hers to take should she so choose.

But then she said something that caught his attention, both her inquiries of his name and his hunger.  It was as if his mind was caught in a daze, his head moved to side, looking distantly, fearing what he might see if he looked at her.  "Err.  Dietrich is my name," he was swift to answer, his instincts focusing more and more on her latter question.  Hungry?  Hungry?!  It had been a while since he fed and he was not above going for a nice hunt.  He swallowed hard and considered his answer.  Yes, the forest was very bountiful, full of various prey that he could feast on and yet...  There's a perfectly good piece of prey right in front of you, his vampiric mind reasoned, seemingly too eager for the kill.  

Finally, after a few more moments of thought, he decided that he could wait to feed, his desire to reap horrible vengeance on the horrible wizard was stronger.  "Yes," he answered as calmly as he could muster, "I could do for a good slice of venison."  Now that that prospect had come to mind, he had nothing to repay her with, and he hated being in debt with people.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"You're welcome." Cinae answered automatically, years of training in etiquette reminding her to be polite. She observed quietly as Dietrich easily moved the apparently heavy log. Both of them were certainly much more than they looked and once more her curiosity comes to the surface. But she would refrain from the questioning him till they were a bit more comfortable.

She shook her head at the offer of a seat, preferring to sit close to the merry fire. In fact, she sat closer than most mortals would have been comfortable with, the dry heat rolling over her body in waves but not even making her sweat. The flames accentuated the radiance of her skin, adding to the already beautiful glow. She certainly had an affinity with fire.

"Well Dietrich, it's a pleasure to meet you, even though it could have been in more pleasant circumstances for you." The longer pause to answer the question on hunger intrigued and warned her at the same time. There was something almost...feral in his eyes when she had asked about his hunger. Perhaps his appetite ran to the more exotic.

But she puts that thought aside, instead nodding at his answer. "Venison then. Warm yourself by the flames. I will be back as soon as I am able." Having taken on the role of the host, Cinae thought it only right for her to do the hunting as well. Seeing that Dietrich was as comfortable as she could make him in the current situation, she stood up and and began hunting in the forest.

Lion

Watching her sit so close to the fire was intriguingly daring according to Dietrich.  It was an impressive sight since most people would rather keep their distance, including himself.  Other than igniting a torch to light what he didn't want to keep in darkness, Dietrich avoided fire like he avoided sunlight.  It was a danger to any vampire that came across it, and it was a wonder that lifeless flesh seemed only slightly less flammable than gunpowder.  It was also strange to think that he was once accustomed to hot rooms, his blacksmith's fire always burning hot enough for him to forge metals to his desired shape.  But that feeling was long forgotten for it had been five hundred years since he needed warmth

He observed her as she spoke, thankful for her polite disposition.  Most people scorned him and rejected him on sight; they didn't really take kindly to beings who ate their cattle.  So in turn, he either retaliated violently or drank them dry.  Either way suited him fine.  However much he appreciated her hospitality and kindness, he couldn't help but admit that his dominantly vampiric mind was irked by such generosity; it certainly annoyed him to a point for it was not often he came across somebody with such a saintly heart.

"Aye," he replied, nodding as Cinae departed from their campfire.  A short while passed before he looked back in her direction, her glow as she passed through the stark night of the wood now completely faded away, and suddenly that feeling of hunger was on him again.  It was only so long that one could ignore it, it was a need that ran deeper than any heritage, it was something wild and incarnate that brought upon a savage lust for blood in a vampire.  However, he had always prided himself in his control of his hunger; he had always been able to wait for the proper time to feed.  But it seemed that every time he looked or thought about Cinae it grew little stronger.

In a moment he was off his seat from the log and, after kicking a few more thick branches to sustain the fire, he disappeared from the clearing, following her scent into the forest.  At a time like this he could use a good hunt.  Why should he let her have all the fun?

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Cinae practically fluttered into the forest, drifting as if on invisible wings, moving where the wind blew. The wind also carried the scents of the forest and from it she drew the scent of a sleeping doe. She drew out a knife from within the folds of her clothes and quietly made her way to where the doe would be sleeping.

If she paused for an instant, Dietrich didn't know if it was because of him or something else. Then a bird fluttered down to her shoulder and chirped quietly into her ear. Cinae smiled again and sent the bird off with a word of thanks and a message. She paused as if thinking, then shrugged and continued the hunt.

In a few minutes, the quickly cooling body of a doe was at her feet. She hefted the kill over her shoulder easily, evidently a lot stronger than she looked. Then she began the walk back to the campsite, ready to skin and gut the doe and to serve her current guest.

ooc: Urgh. Hate my life. Really. My apologies for taking so long. Sorry.

Although, is Dietrich hunting Cinae?

Lion

[Well, originally I was going to have him help her hunt or kill something hunting her other than him.  But he's very hungry right now so any thing's really possible.  I could have him want to hunt her first and then he'll sense another predator approaching.]

Dietrich followed her scent as he stepped lightly on the forest floor, the feeble twigs, branches, and leaves cracking under his weight.  It was like it had become a barrage of thick smoke as he inhaled her trail, it becoming stronger with each progressive step.  He walked with a hunter's stride, one that affirmed that he knew exactly what he wanted.  But in simple terms, Dietrich was overwhelmed with sudden hunger and stalking his prey sent an abrupt surge of excitement in his blood it was nigh insatiable.  He was a predatory by nature and always loved a good hunt.

He did not know how close he was getting to her but he did know that her scent was becoming stronger.  Finally he could see the faint glow she gave off.  He was unsure of what approach to take, to be direct or to hide and pounce on her at later moment.  A direct approached seemed to coincide with his appetite at the moment and he walked towards her as she held the carcase of a large doe over her shoulder.  He did not appear very hostile at this moment, he stood merely as any half naked man would in a situation like this would. But his eyes.  His eyes were filled with a hunger of unknown origins.  A slight sense of wit came to him as he noticed the carcase on her shoulder.  "Fancy the kill," was all he said as he pointed to the dead doe and smiled at her in a strange manner.  He did not see the great shadow lurking several yards from them.

His senses perked up as it detected another smell....  Something wolfish.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"Impatient aren't you?" Cinae's lips quirked into a light smile but her eyes were wary. The hunger in his eyes, it made him dangerous. Somehow, she didn't think he was just hungry for deer. The gentle radiance that flowed off her skin seemed to grow slightly in intensity, becoming less gentle and far sharper as she grew more cautious. Good samaritan or not, she wasn't about to just roll over and take whatever he might be planning to dish out. "You can carry it back then." She told him and tossed the carcass over.

But before the carcass could be caught, a huge shadow leapt between them and caught the dead deer within its jaws before vanishing back into the forest. And the forest around them filled up with the sounds of growling from something big and nasty. Possibly several somethings. Winged creatures were her forte. Four legged furry mammal things were not.

So Cinae sighed as the glow around her sharpened even further, the light now almost a glare. "I could find another deer. But I do so hate having my hard work snatched from me. Don't look directly at me Dietrich. I suggest keeping an eye on our surroundings as I do this." She let her warning sink in for a fraction of a second. Then the radiance seemed to explode from her as she flared up like a brilliant flame, shedding light upon every dark shadow in the forest and showing them exactly what was in their surroundings.

ooc: I figure I'll leave it up to you as to what exactly was stalking them. Could even be more than one. Cinae's sudden flare of light could prompt a direct attack upon her as well and Dietrich could choose how he would prefer to react. Right now, she's flaring light but no heat. That could change though depending on how you want to set up the situation.

Lion

A corner of Dietrich's mouth curled up in a faint grin at her words.  But this was quickly knocked out of him when the massive furred shadow made its abrupt violent leap at the corpse of the deer, snatching it with Dietrich's equivalent voracity but without his hunter's sense.  The speed at which the move was executed took him aback, causing him to fall on his hindquarters in a sighing oof!

He was silent as she spoke and made the intensity of her glow increase.  Its brightness was beginning to hurt his eyes, but he knew this was no sunlight and he would endure it if he must.  Yet he was strangely moved by the glow, his once prevalent hunger for her blood dying down and replaced with something a little more majestic.  He quickly snapped out of it when the sounds of growling surrounded them.  The vocalizations were moving about and unevenly dispersed.  In an instant his attention turned to the beast that snatched the deer from Cinae.

Its form was thick with raven fur and at least twice the size of an average wolf.  At first, Dietrich assumed it was a werewolf, its thick black fur would certainly commend so but is size and stance led to another explanation.  There was only one other creature that had the speed of a werewolf, was smaller, walked on all fours, but was just as blood thirsty.  "Warg," Dietrich said to himself, watching the beast tear into the feeble belly of the deer with out much effort and consume its insides with carnivorous voracity.  In an instant the warg's entire face was covered in the blood of the carcase and looked up from its stolen meal, menacingly.  It did not seem to be satisfied.

Dietrich was up on his feet in a prepared stance, his eyes flashed yellow with vertical pupils, in his vampiric state.  He awaited the warg's next action. All the beast did was stare at the glowing of Cinae.  Suddenly it uttered a guttural bark and charged forward at full speed, fully intending to make the both of them meals.

[Thanks for the heads up.  One warg could appear right now and then a bunch of others could be waiting in the wood surrounding, awaiting for the kill, or come in when it needs help.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Cinae focused carefully on their surroundings and their enemies. Her sudden flare of light had revealed a few shadows before they darted away back into hiding. But their main opponent was already here and had consumed the deer. She would have to go hunting again. How annoying.

Her glow subsided from its brilliant intensity to one that simply shed light on its surroundings without leaving spots in one's eyes. The warg charged in and Cinae pointed. The snarl turned into a yelp and as a puff of flame spurted up and burned its nose. The flame didn't fade either as she twirled her fingers, making the fire grow, even when it had no fuel.

Some part of her mind noted Dietrich's transformation with a little 'ah' of understanding. Well, both of them had their secrets. Now they were just more in the open. Before they had too much time to consider though, the rest of the pack joined the fray, several wargs leaping at each of them to rip their throats out.