Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Desperate measures

Started by Anonymous, March 09, 2005, 11:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Silverleaf sighed and let his head fall as far as the manacle would give, a couple inches. It would do. Time didn't exist in his cell, it was all endless darkness, the endless sound of his breathes and the endless numbness eating his body alive. His mouth had long dried, taking with it the tang of dried blood and metal. He could still feel the bit pressing over his tongue. If he wriggled it a little he could feel the ragged edges on the corners of his mouth where they tore when they were stuffing the bit in his mouth. His arms were bound behind his back, the cuffs part of a straight bar that connected to the manacle around his neck. The whole thing was stuck to the wall somehow, he didn't have a chance to see how they got it on the wall. Soon after being bent into the harness a guard wrapped a peice of rough black wool over his eyes. Every blink afterward itched and chafed until he decided to keep his eyes closed. His final piece of 'jewelry' was a pair of manacles around his ankles. Simple garden variety manacles that were connected with a short chain.

After his limbs began tingling from being left in one place so long he started blinking. Blinking and blinking and blinking until the wool stopped irritating his eyelids. They got to a point where they numbed down to a dull scraped sensation and from there on weren't affected in any way by the cloth. Then his mouth dried out and his throat itched for water, they gradually dragged him awake. The dryness kept him from getting any proper sleep; he'd start to drift off, his throat would itch and he'd be back in the lucid darkness. Hanging his head made his neck start cramping up, but the pinching was a refreshing diversion from the monotonous darkness, breathes and numbness until something else outstaged it.

Shouldn't his stomach be growling? It felt like he was shackled in this room for days, hunger should have followed close behind thirst. Shouldn't it? Hells, what if what he thought was several days was nothing but a single day? A single afternoon?? He clamped down on the bit and leaned back, standing on his tiptoes and leaning until the back of his head brushed against the stonework. He rubbed his head side to side, up and down. They tied the blindfold and the leather cords at each end of the bit behind his head. The stone felt smooth, but there were some round edges where the stones were mortared together. Maybe if he rubbed enough one of the ties would loosen and fray. He had all the time in the world.

Until he heard a door creak open and close. It was loud, closeby. His door maybe? Definitely, he could hear the click of heavy boots against the ground. He took his head off the wall and felt the remaining strength in his limbs melt away. His ears began ringing and his thoughts blurred together. Racing together like water in a stream before they slowed and seperated again. Even then his head felt hazy, almost vacant.

Silverleaf clamped down on the bit and curled his upper lip. It was him.

"Greetings Silverleaf," he said in that damn voice. There was no mistaking it. Silverleaf's teeth began to sting from biting the bit.

Click, click, click

A leathery grip grabbed his jaw and forced his head up before a rush of...liquid? Yes, liquid, water, rushed down his throat. It sang for joy but he coughed, stalling some of the water and exhaled as hard as he could. He felt a splash of water against his chest and he braced for the smack.

It didn't come, water continued to flow down his throat, some spiraling down to his lungs. He gagged and the water stopped pouring. A few ragged coughs got the water out of his lungs and back in his mouth. He swallowed it and his throat throbbed, the sting fading.

"We need to talk. Are you still together up there?"

Silverleaf growled and tried shaking his head, his grip was too strong.

"The bit doesn't hamper your speech any I see..."

Silence. The hand left his jaw and moved to the back of his head, it's mate joining it. Every breath Silverleaf took through his nose was thick with his smell, heady like pine. The hands were doing something in his hair, twisting and fussing with it.

The bit loosened and came out of his mouth. Silverleaf took a few deep breathes, careful not to stretch his mouth too far and open the scabs on its ends, and rubbed his tongue against the roof of his mouth.

"I've got a deal for you."

"Save your brea-urk-" the bit was shoved back into his mouth while he was talking. He tasted a hint of fresh blood in the right side of his mouth.

"Don't be so hasty, give me some time to explain."

Anonymous

Silverleaf growled again, the blood on the side of his mouth bubbled. He could barely breathe with him practically choking forcing the bit down his throat. Gods, why'd it have to be him, anyone else and he would have gladly rolled his eyes back into his head and died.

"Ready to listen?"

Maybe it was a hallucination. Hallucinating didn't seem too odd after being tied up in this abyss for some unknown stretch of time. He didn't quite agree with his mind's choice of hallucinations though... Heh, who was he kidding, there was no way he could imagine something like this.

"Good. You haven't forgotten Evore yet have you?"

Silverleaf could feel the strength puddle out of his limbs when she was mentioned. Damn her. Damn her, damn her! He ground his teeth against the bit.

"I'll give you the benefit of having some humanity. Do you remember what she said when she died?"

That bastard! Silverleaf clamped down hard on the bit, his eyes opening, the rough wool brushing his eyelids. She didn't say anything, and even if she had there was no way he would have known what she said! Silverleaf breathed heavily, feeling the bit tearing away the corners of his mouth. Calm, he had to stay calm. He wasn't sure why he would want to get his emotions running up. But, SIlverleaf wouldn't let him. He had to stay calm.

"I wouldn't know whether she did or not. But, I think she knew what you had in store for her."

Deep breathes. It was a lie, she was surprised when they surrounded her at the well. She didn't have a clue. What was he trying to pull?

"She knew, so she had me revise our inital agreement."

If the bit wasn't lodged in his mouth now Silverleaf would have spit. An agreement, ha, it was more like coercion. The bit moved in his mouth and Silverleaf started, nearly gagging on a trickle of blood that slid down his throat. The bit wiggled and Silverleaf realized he was still chewing on it. He let go and it was taken from his mouth. Now that the damned thing was out of his mouth his jaw got sore. He dabbed his tongue sloppily against the tears at the corners of his mouth and out at his chapped lips.

"Now you ask me what that revision was."

"Get-" he coughed, pushing one dangling bit of blood down his throat. "Get over yourself."

He laughs a little, that same haughty laugh. "Good thing I have an imagination. Evore asked me if I would continue our agreement after she was gone, for the sake of our little one. You remember him, I'm sure. She said that your band of rifraff was just as much his family as I and mine. I can't think of a better time for our agreement to line up with our boy's interests."

Silverleaf paused. He couldn't just take the bastard's words at face value, that was what he wanted him to do. It made all the offer and the water make sense, a little. "How does my freedom help that brat."

"You're getting the hang of this. Paris has been taken out of Connlaoth, those that saw it said it was too sloppy to have been a planned abduction. My lovely sister is too buried in legal comings and goings to realize her heir isn't around, though I'm certain a part of her loves the thought of a few more years in charge. The boy is as tough as any vagabond, so I'm certain he's alive out there somewhere. The problem is where he might be. It would take more manpower than we have to look over the rest of our world, but..."

Silverleaf snorted. "But, that won't work anywhere near you. Nice try Alcée."

"Don't offer any consolance yet, I've thought this out a bit farther than that. I just have to trust that my gelding is fast enough to trample you if you do anything suspicious."

Ha. Silverleaf tilts his head back and chortles. So it came down to hell locked in this cell or hell with Alcée? Some god had to be laughing its ass off at him. At least he got a choice, somewhat. "And what afterwards? Back to my cell like a good dog?"

"That'd be suspicious on my part," he laughs. "You're free to do what you wish after we find him and your jailers will get to forever wonder how you got out of your bonds."

Free to do what he wished eh? Something about that offer set the hair on the back of his neck rising. There would be time before that came about, he could surely plan for whatever Alcée had in store for him. A plan that had to include wrapping up a little unfinished business. "Tempting offer."

"Do I unchain you now or consider praying to your deaf gods?"

Silverleaf grinned. "Drop the chains."