Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Magic Assessments: The Search for New Students! (Private)

Started by Anonymous, April 08, 2008, 01:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Naressa absentmindedly tapped her fingers against the arm of her chair and wondered when the last time she had nervous had been. The reason she was nervous now was because she had done something unusual for her, she had actually advertised for students rather than teaching one who came to her. Well, she was getting old and didn’t feel like being patient. Though, she wondered what type of people would walk through her door and if any would be as gifted as her previous two students.

About now, the housekeeper was probably letting the prospective students in so it would only be a couple of minutes before they arrived. She rose from the chair, thinking she shouldn’t look disinterested. Then changed her mind and sat down again.

â€œWhy act differently?â€? Naressa thought, “If they get chosen they’ll have to get used to it, might as well start as I mean to go on.â€?

Naressa liked to be strict and ruthless with her students and she knew that some of them will be put off and might question her technique. But she was a world class sorceress and her students were world class mages and known for their abilities and she hadn’t been lenient with them at all.

Hearing footsteps coming down the corridor, Naressa prepared herself just before the door opened. Inside walked 8 mages of varying ages but all quite young followed by the housekeeper who shut the door behind them.

Naressa motioned to the various seats in the room, “Sit down.â€?

[OOC Don't ya just love the Naruto-esk title lol. I wanted more than just you two to show up that's why there's 8 so feel free to play the extra mages]

Anonymous

Johnathan Foolsfoot was no the best 'wizard' in the world. In fact, he was far from it. So far the only uses he had found was baking, starting the cooking fire and juggling fireballs (thanks to his sistar Fiona). He could also make his nose glow bright red but he wasn't shore if that counted, it was more likely a taint from his father or sister. He blamed his lack of talent to the fact that he still lived in Connloath, earning his keep as a baker.

He had been packing up at the end of the day when two men had talked about a sorceress advertising for students. it was a strange thing to hear people talking about magic in Connloath so he assumed that she must have been very powerful, either that or a trap to catch any magic users. He had stopped his work and listened intently, deciding he would find this woman. It wasn't like Fiona was going to visit him any time soon, so he'd left a cryptic-note and set forth the next day.

He tapped on the door, hesitating. There were seven others with him, some of them looked stranger than Fiona was. They were to undergo a test. He imagined large displays of magic, large tomes of forbidden magic (all magic was forbidden in Connloath) and fancy devices that had strange and incomprehensible uses. A housekeeper led them into a large room, with desks. He had never gone to a school but Fiona had told him tales of hers. It was a bit of a dissapointment really. Hers had had coloured charts and strange objects hanging from the roof.

'Sit down'

He obeyed, wonderring what they were really going to do. Hopefully not a written test, he had never got the hang of reading.

PS. It is a nice title, I must watch Naruto some day.

Anonymous

Late, late, always late…Sylvia cursed herself as she hurried through the forest. Her tiny little body tore past the shrubbery and low hanging branches, not caring how many twigs she injured, or how many leaves she crashed through.

Kra’jit!

It’d only been a few weeks since she’d escaped from the Necromantia Dungeons- she had no clue where her last companion had disappeared off to- the escape had been somewhat of a palaver, really.

Magic.

She snorted in disdain at the word. Magic had been what helped them escape; magic had also been what went wrong, causing her to be whirlwinded onto this godforsaken land. All her problems began and ended with magic.

“Why couldn’t I have been a normal water nymph?� The little sprite muttered grumpily to herself, throwing a disdaining glare at a squirrel which had paused rooting for nuts to take in this odd sight.

Oh no, she had to be different. She had to be born with the element of lightning. What a joke. What a curse. There really was no rest for the magically challenged.

Sylvia stomped a few more feet forwards, and suddenly, wham, the oaken door was before her.

“Kra’jit,� she cursed again, wiping her nose ruefully. Those damn magical people, with their fancy hidden doors!

Gathering her wits, she knocked upon the door and was greeted by a woman, who looked puzzled.

“Down here,� Sylvia cooed, waving.

“Ah right, didn’t see you,� the housekeeper chuckled.

“I was kinda hard to miss in Necromantia,� she muttered, but smiled pleasantly at the woman. She gave all her necessary details, explained what she was here for, and the housekeeper let her in.

“Go along the corridor, and take the only door on your right.�

“Okies,� Sylvia said with a salute, before rolling her eyes, skin prickling at all the magical energy in the place. She felt like a house…on fire.

Breathe. In, learn how to control your power, then out, and no more encounters. A quiet peaceful life, away from everybody.

Taking another breath, she composed herself and with the most confident air, strode down the corridor and joined the other students. Either this would be most fun, or the second to worst mistake in the world, the first being not choking herself whilst still in the womb.

((Sorry if it's looong!! :P))

Anonymous

Dakarai had wandered about the realm for quite some time, sniffing at various flowers and stealing whatever he could get his porky hands on.  It was a good life, and though he was a pig-man, he did not mind it.  It was not until he had heard rumors of a Magic Class beginning that he decided to further his Mage studies.  Oh yes, this piglet was quite the spell caster!  Many-a-time he would find himself stuck in a tree after casting a spell with no recollection of what had gone on.  Poor little fellow, Dakarai was.  Not much of a thief, either.  Portly hands were not meant for the casting of spells or the stealing of items, for they always got in their own way.  But he was a pig of prestige, and would not allow failure!

Thus, here he stood before an oak door with seven other varying students.  All ages, shapes and sizes stood before himâ€"but for some reason the pig biped felt out of place.  Being such a being meant that you would constantly smell, be short on smarts, and have porky attitude about yourself.  A nearly inaudible squeal of dissatisfaction left his thin lips, robed arms crossing over the barrel of his chest.  Hast I knownth there’d be so many maybeh I’d’ve continued wit’ duh thievery.

Poor little pompous pig man, though it was not his fault he had been born so hideous.  Many had called him cute at times, but with a mug and body of a pig how could one be deemed beautiful?  It was not in his racial heritage to be intellectual or gorgeous, but it was in passed down through generation-to-generation to be crafty.  Those little eyes would look from the seven faces, two of which he found strikingly young.  He was a middle aged pig with nothing to fall back on but second rate wizardry and a losing battle with thievery.  Why is it that the weak are always so downtrodden?  Maybe it is for the fact that life has not given them a big enough cookie, though they always live to see tomorrow.

Finally the oak door opened, and the tiny little pig of a man jumped back, hoofed fingers rising to guard his beautiful face.  It was after a momentary feeling of disbelief that Dakarai would lower his digits from his visage and peer into the classroom.  It was neat and tidy, and before him sat an older woman; her dull auburn hair gave away her age.  That little man would step into the classroom, his sandals slapping roughly against the ground as he took a seat next to a Foolsfoot; beady eyes moved up and down the being, and a snort left his glistening snout.

â€œBestest watch meself,â€? spoke the pig to himself, loud enough for most to hear.  â€œFor with thee humans around, I mays be roasted wit’ an abble in meh mouth.â€?

Anonymous

Naressa glanced along the visibly nervous students, most were human but there was a small winged creature and a humanoid pig as well. She hadn’t actually expected people that strange to come but then again variety was a good thing.

â€œI assume most of you know who I am,â€? Naressa began, “But for those who don’t I am Naressa Velas, World Class Sorceress 1st Degree. Some of you may have heard of my two previous students Cirau Breeze and Dalisme Panelen. Both of them are exceptional mages and believe me, I only take on people who I think also have the potential to become exceptional mages.â€?

She paused for effect, “I shall warn you now, if any of you think your training will be easy or expect me to be gentle with you, leave now. I will only take on people I think will be dedicated and will take their training seriously. Also if any of you are not prepared to pick up a book, or practice daily then there is no place for you here.â€?

Naressa remembered when she first took Dalisme on as a student she had moaned constantly about all the reading she had to do, but she had gotten used to it eventually. Cirau was the opposite, he always had his head in a book and Naressa sometimes found it difficult to pry him away from the library for practical exercises.

Naressa rose from her chair, “Unless you want to be hit by flying furniture I advise you move to the edges of the room now.â€?

She had put the desks out for effect; the test they were taking was of a more practical nature.

Anonymous

Johnathan breathed a sigh of relief when the desks started moving, he wouldn't have to try to read anything yet. He looked up to see the furniture and hurried across the room. He tripped up and narrowly missed something big and wooden hitting him. He felt terribly embarressed, guessing that this is how Fiona must feel daily. He stood next to the piglike fellow and smiled nervously.

OOC: sorry it's short.

Anonymous

Sylvia jutted her chin out impulsively, and fought an urge to disobey the woman. Both attracted to and repulsed by magic, it was no wonder she was so jittery. When one of the students tripped up, Sylvia started nervously, before darting out of the way. She didn’t want to be around someone who would be -that- clumsy.

Now she was in the room, she had time to assess the other students. The person who tripped up looked perpetually embarrassed, there was a pig-like fellow, a few humans, and another short sprite. Sylvia stood next to the sprite. Although different races, she took comfort that another small being was here.

“Hello,� the other sprite said. The sprite was male, and had pale green mottled skin, and locks of curly hair that seemed to change colour whenever the light shone on it.

Sylvia smiled tensely, and nodded, but didn’t say anything. She didn’t know what bag of tricks the woman had up her sleeve, so kept her attention focused on Naressa.

Anonymous

Holved fingers flew into the air as a desk propelled toward his head.  There was a snap as those little fingers clicked togther, sparks erupting into the air.  That wooden desk halted before the piglet, the wood shivering as it hovered before his face.  A crack rippled down the middle of the desk as it began to fold in upon itself, until finally it formed a much...  smaller... desk.  There it sat, the mini-desk before the pig, maybe be enough for a sprite.  Those porkish features would look devlish as he smiled and let the little desk continue on its course, shifting to the right to allow it to pass.

Behind him were two sprites, and the pig man would make his way toward them.  Most of the sprites he had seen were mischevious and always up to no good.  But alas, this pig was as unlucky as you came, and just as he made his way to the two smaller folk a wooden desk struck him from behind.  That stout little pig was sprawled across the floor, squeals exploding from his snout.

Anonymous

Naressa sighed internally, a few of the candidates did get hit by flying furniture and others tripped in their attempt to escape the levitating desks. The pig-creature however clicked his…fingers? And the desk folded in on itself and became much smaller. She didn’t know if it was showing off or not but still, if it was untrained being able to that was quite impressive.

The area now clear, she stepped out into the centre of the room.

â€œOne at a time I want you to step forward, tell me you name and powers then demonstrate your abilities in any way you choose. And should you be as foolish as my first student to request your test be a duel then so be it.â€?

Surprisingly Cirau, now one of the most pacifistic people she knew had chosen a duel as his test. Obviously he hadn’t come close to winning but she had decided to accept him because of his potential and fighting spirit.

â€œNow, who wants to be first?â€?

Anonymous

Johnathan hesitated but stepped forward.

'I am Johnathan Foolsfoot. I am a fire mage,' his voice was a bit quakey.

He lifted his arms and pushed up his sleeves, which were a little burnt at the ends. He hadn't exactly done any tricks since he was a child, he mainly used his powers to cook with. Four little fireballs appeared in his hands and he juggled them. He glanced up and saw that people were looking at him and accidently dropped one. He jumped backwards as one fell on his shoe.

'I mainly use my magic for baking. I'm a baker,' he murmured. He felt very foolish.

Anonymous

When the pig man got knocked over, it was all Sylvia could do, to keep herself from giggling. Ah, what a fool he looked, she thought. Poor little piggy! Her hands were balled up into fists which were raised to cover her tiny mouth. By her side, she heard the tinkling laughter of the male sprite, like bluebells.

Sylvia composed herself, with a visible effort. She was here to learn. She needed to get over her prejudices...even if most of the people here seemed really odd, and people that she would cross to the other side of a raging river to avoid.

When the first person stepped forwards, she thought for a second that he seemed fairly normal. But then again, his normal appearance seemed to compensate for his clumsiness. Of course, all of these thoughts were thoughts she kept to herself. She just sincerely hoped that there wasn't a mind reader in the group.

"Tough luck." Another giggle.

Sylvia spun round, eyes wide. The other sprite was leaning against the wall, with a lazy smile plastered across his face.

"Heh."

Sylvia's face darkened slightly.

"Shh, I won't tell," the other sprite said. "I'm Lief. Pleased to meet you, Sylvia."

"Hmm," she murmured, with slight distaste. "Please don't filch my mind anymore."

"Oh no," he whispered. "I can't really mind read, I can just read you like a book."

"Hmm."

"The nuances of your aura," he explained at her puzzled expression. "Not good for much else apart from shielding."

Sylvia glanced back at everyone else to see what was going on. How bad would it look, for two students on the first day to be huddled in a corner, too engaged in their own conversation to be paying attention to the teacher?

((Heh heh, feel free to pick on and victimise Sylvia!))

Anonymous

[OOC Juggling Jester didn't post so I thought screw it and posted, sorry it's short, we'll just skip them until they start posting again]

Naressa watched the boy juggle the fireballs with a hint of disinterest; simple magic tricks. Though when he mentioned he did use his powers for a more practical use, i.e. baking, that sparked her interest. He might have some potential, he was a little clumsy but Dalisme had been and unfortunately still was to some extent.

"Alright, next please."

She then noticed the two sprites like beings engaged in conversation. It wasn't their turn yet but still it was very rude, that did not bode well for them... Naressa clicked her fingers and fireworks began appearing around the two beings, catching the attention of all the other students.

"If you are two not going to have the common curtsey to pay attention whilst the others show their abilities then just leave."

Anonymous

Johnathan stepped back, he was feeling a bit glum. The teacher obviously had skill with fire so his would look even more feeble. He had hoped that she would be able to help him with his fire skills. He sighed a little too loudly, he was no worse off than when he left the bakery really.

Johnathan looked up and waited for the next person to step up. Maybe the woman would have the girl that was natterring away step up next. She looked a bit like a bimbo, but not as much as his sister had. His sister was the strongest, smartest person he knew. Maybe the girl would like him.

Anonymous

"Waaaah!"

Sylvia jumped up suddenly as the fireworks sprang up around her, making her feel so threatened that the tips of her fingertips began to spark themselves. Tiny pinpricks of electricity danced about her hand, which were clenched solid with her frozen body, and around Sylvia, crackling waves of static began to emanate into the room, making everyone's hair stand up on end.

By the time she'd collected herself, it was too late.

Everyone was staring at her.

Greeeeat.

She swallowed, and made herself visibly smaller. Maybe waving at them would diffuse things. Behind her, Lief, the other sprite, sniggered, and Sylvia's elbow shot out, making contact with the fleshy bit of his arm to shut him up.

Anonymous

Naressa sighed internally, maybe advertising for students hadn't been such a good idea...

The female sprite was obviously a lightning mage or possibly just had a basic ability to control static...

"You can be next," Naressa said to her menacingly, "But you do not get to choose how you display your powers. You will face me in a duel."

Okay perhaps that was a little bit harsh but it wasn't like Naressa was going to kill her, just teach her a lesson. The sorceress clicked her fingers again and all the other students appear in the gallery above the room.

"You'll be safer up there, this might get dangerous," she explained smiling threateningly.

Okay maybe this was more fun than she had thought originally. She wasn't going to hurt the sprite all the much unless she turned about to be one heck of a fighter but still, she liked to mess with people who rude.

Anonymous

Johnathan looked from the sprite to the teacher. They both looked so powerful, especially the teacher, she was scary. He shifted form one foot to the other, thos was going to be exciting. Perhaps after this everybody would forget his feebleness. if he didn't get in he could always offer to be the cook.

Anonymous

((Hehe Sylvia is a water nymph, guys!! XD))

"But you do not get to choose how you display your powers. You will face me in a duel."

Sylvia's lip twitched slightly as she decided just how important her pride was to her. The menacing tone of Naressa did not bode well for Sylvia and she resisted the urge to point out that by making her duel, she would still have to display her powers anyway.

"This is your fault," she hissed to a still sniggering Lief.

Stupid sprites. Just because they were of a similar size didn't mean that they had anything else in common with water nymphs.

"You'll be safer up there, this might get dangerous."

Sylvia snorted in response to Naressa's words. Just how dangerous could this get...really. Her mind rewound back to the accidents of her village so many years ago, but she shut those images out. It hadn't been her fault back then. Now though...she had some semblance of control over her magic.

Even as she thought this, a few sparks erupted from her fingertips.

Screw all that being humble crap.

"Right, what do you want me to do then?" She took a step forwards, and faced Naressa with all of her slender five-foot tall body. Folding her arms, she drummed the flesh of her arms with her fingers, ever so slowly, projecting an air of confidence. Knowing Naressa though, she'd probably see it as insolence, but whenever Sylvia felt threatened, her sarcasm went into overdrive. "Guess you'll have to supply me with a pistol for I sure as hell don't carry one."

Anonymous

Naressa clicked her fingers and suddenly appeared behind the nymph, holding a ball of blue lightning in her left hand.

"You certainly are insolent for somebody so slow."

Fighting cocky people was always fun especially when they lost. Because she wasn't as young as she used to be people assumed she had gotten slow. Far from it and many bounty hunters who came after her soon learned that the hard way.

"I'd keep my guard up if I were you," Naressa said smiling menacingly, "There's a reason no bounty hunter has been able to kill me yet."

Anonymous

Johnathan looked from one to the other. Surely they were only going to mock fight. He looked at the little one once more, she was not as strong as their teacher and probably wouldn't last long.

Anonymous

" You certainly are insolent for somebody so slow."

Sylvia froze for a split second, before she spun around, arms raised defensively.  Somebody so slow!?!? Was Naressa trying to psyche her out? Sylvia decided she wouldn't rise to the bait, and merely stood her ground, watching the teacher warily. This method of 'teaching' seemed to be rather unconventional.

The teacher was very close to her, and it was all she could do, to keep standing there, and not back away. Sylvia's shoulders were tensed up, and now the sparks were spilling from her fingertips, leaping and dancing in yellow rainbow patterns. With the amount of static in the room, the scene would be quite comical, as it wouldn't be long before people's hair would stand on end.

She didn't want to use her magic; she really didn't. Despite her body language, it was written there in her eyes. No way would she make the first move.