Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Magic Assessments: The Search for New Students! (Private)

Started by Anonymous, April 08, 2008, 01:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Naressa was surprised at the nymph's reaction. She had expected her to jump out of the way or shoot a spell out of panic. This was a person who had a great deal of control over her magic but she seemed scared, scared of using it... Was that why she had to come to Naressa for training?

Naressa sighed before teleporting back to her original position.

"Enough games; choose any way you wish to display your powers. I won't force you to battle."

Anonymous

Johnathan breathed a sigh of relief. He had been worried about the nymph. How would she choose to display her powers? it would be interesting to find out.

Anonymous

"Fine," Sylvia said, in a bored tone, although truth be told, there was definitely an edge of relief in her eyes. The other students were all still up in the gallery, so she felt rather intimidated to see them all peering down at her. With a nervous laugh, she joked, "What is this, theatre in the round?"

But she wouldn't be able to keep Naressa's patience running for much longer. With a sigh, Sylvia closed her eyes, and retreated to the peaceful space inside her mind. This would be really bad if she lost her control.

Her body started to shimmer, ever so faintly at first, a lovely yellow glow. The shimmering intensified, and she spread her arms out, whilst the aura of electricity grew larger and larger. Wisps of her hair began to lift, moving with a life of their own, and finally, when she opened her eyes and tilted her head upwards, the eyes that regarded each spectator were no longer her original colour. No, they were completely golden, swirling orbs that crackled and fizzed electricity.

She lifted her head higher, and then, ever so slightly, her feet were lifted off the ground. She hung there, a few inches from the ground, suspended by an electromagnetic field she had created, and hovered for a few seconds, before the spell was snapped, and she dropped back to the ground, shaken, and in every way back to normal.

That was pretty poor, she thought inwardly, watching Naressa's face, waiting for a judgement. Just a pretty light show. Nothing else.

Anonymous

Naressa waved her hand slightly and the spectators above hovered gently back to the ground.

The sorceress had to admit, that had actually been quite impressive for what she assumed was untrained mage. Few learnt how to create an electromagnetic field without a more experienced magic user teaching them

"How old are you?" Naressa asked.

She didn't look very old, but you never knew. Naressa herself had once met a supposed six year old girl who was actually thousands of years old.

Anonymous

Johnathan gave a sigh as the teacher returned the room to normal. The girl must have passed. He wondered how many rounds there would be and how many people she planned on taking.

Anonymous

"Ninety seven," she whispered, averting her eyes. Sylvia pressed the ends of her fingers together repeatedly in a nervous manner, wondering what Naressa would say next. She didn't dare look up, suddenly finding the wooden grain of the floorboards extremely fascinating.

It hadn't been that long since the accident. Not enough years had passed. Human years. With a start, she realised she'd given her age in nymph years, but it was too late now.

Anonymous

That was obviously her age in Nymph years which meant she wasn't really all that old. It made her little display all the more impressive.

"Very well," Naressa said, "Next."

A boy of about 16 with dark brown hair and purple eyes stepped forward. He had a cocky smirk on his face and obviously felt he could do better than the nymph.

"I'm Dilim Gethin, I'm a shadow mage."

Shadow mages were quite rare but that didn't necessarily mean he was good at it.

He closed his eyes and his body began glowing with a purple aura. Then all the shadows in the room merged together and formed a huge dragon made of shadows. It hovered in the air for a minute before flickering out.

His form was good but he can't hold it for long. And his attitude was a problem as well.

"I'll wait and see what the others are like before I make a decision," Naressa thought.

"Next."

(OOC There are three mages to go, feel free to play them ^^)

Anonymous

OOC: Time for the Image of Darkness.

'I'm not here for tutoring. It was on our way and I thought it might be interesting. You may even be able to tell me what I am.'

The Image of Darkness looked around the room, 'it might be best if those who are afraid of the dark or are light mages leave.' He looked at two sprites: one female, one male. (sorry Nightshade, he doesn't know the difference). They would be the most likely to start screaming.

Darkness speard his arms in a theatrical manner. If that Narassa wanted a show, she'd get one. He imbued his deep vioce with a small amount of power. It wasn't magic as such, more letting himslef be heard and seen in the proper light (or lack there of), 'Hersenth do Minicus den maya jon ke dorr. Keno ta beta da hasheth kenai.

That enough had made grown men cower but he didn't want that, he wanted a show. He closed his eyes and allowed darkness to flow from him. Most would think he had cast a speel but this was no spell. This was him. The darkness within darkness, darker than black and the opposite of light. Light fled from the room in terror, along with a student. He grinned.

He opened his eyes. Nobody would be able to see anything but him, he was the pinnicle of darkness within the insane blackness. If he pushed it any further they would lose their minds. He had done it before, been sent away to school for it. He heard someone shreiking: maybe a student, maybe the darkness had reached Dave outside. That would not be good.

Johnathan curled up in a ball, he could not see his other students. He closed his eyes and started humming and rocking backwards and forwards. He thought of his sister, what would she do? She would fob him over the head for still being scared of the dark.

He hadn't been scared of the dark since Mum died, she would be a spirit watching over him fiona had said and he had believed it. Where was she now? Why didn't she help him.

Fire, fire challenges dark, scares away the shadows. He lit a fireball in his hand. It didn't catch. He could feel warmth but could not see the light, the darkness was too strong. He pulled his body in tighter, praying it would go away.

Anonymous

What the hell?!

Sylvia hadn't noticed this dark person before, and from the looks of it, neither had Lief. After Naressa had asked her for her age, she'd meekly stepped back to her old place, for the other students seemed to have been transported back to ground level too.

Phew, that was finally over, she thought, breaking into a smile of relief. She hadn't realised how much tension had been singing in her body. And then Lief had to open his mouth.

"Meh, not bad," he murmured offhandedly, implying he could do better. She snorted, and shook her head, too tired to rise up to his pixie taunts.

It was after the shadow mage's impressive show, when that other person stepped forwards, the one Sylvia had never seen. Which was odd. There was something about him she didn't like. Normally she was attracted to magic like a pixie to shiny objects, but this being repulsed her. She literally felt her skin crawling, and the magic he emanated made her want to vomit.

"Who the hell is he?" Lief muttered through clenched teeth, attempting not to betray his own discomfort.

So he could feel it too.

"Ohmigodohmigodohmigod," Sylvia moaned as the man began to chant.

She closed her eyes and turned towards the wooden wall, feeling Lief press up against her too. OK, it would look weird to others, but the smaller magical beings often drew closer to each other for comfort, especially if they were of similar species.

"Make it stop," Sylvia intoned, closing her eyes.

Anonymous

"What the...?" Naressa thought, "What in the name of all that was holy was this creature?"

She was unnerved by the strange magic he was using but not by the darkness, it couldn't hurt you. People who claimed they were scared of the dark were not really scared of it directly, but of what might be hiding in it. And she knew that in this darkness was nothing, all it was, was an absence of light.

Naressa tried to cast a fire spell to dispel it but nothing happened. That was certainly strange. She couldn't do anything else either; this was not her area of expertise. That only really left her one option.

"Kindly stop this, you are frightening the others."

[OOC o.O One mage left. Are they going to save the day?]

Anonymous

The Image of Darkness dropped his appearance all that was left of his darkness was a waft of black flowing from his body, making it look less substantial. He looked at the sorceress, 'so, do you know what I am?' He looked around the room to see if anybody else would be able to answer him.

He looked down at the two sprites huddled together, 'you should have left.' His voice betrayed his concern and he turned back to the woman, 'I suggest you let those two step out into the sun for a bit.'

Hopefully dave wouldn't want to have some fun and jump out at them. Hopefully Dave still had his wits about him. The skeleton may even be curled up in a ball far away from the house.

Anonymous

Suddenly it was over, and Sylvia could breathe again. With a deep sigh, she felt her body relax, and with that came the realisation that she had been holding onto Lief ever so tightly. Slightly embarrassed, both beings let go- where they had been clutching at each other, deep half moon shaped welts remained to show just how much their nails had been digging into each other's skin.

Her slitted eyes followed the dark man, watching him.

Beside her, Lief spoke, challenging the man. "I still haven't had my turn yet."

Anonymous

Nastusia was relieved when the darkness finally subsided as were the other students. She regretted letting just anyone 'audition' to be her student. She made a mental note not to do it again in future and to never listen to any of the housekeeper's ideas ever.

"I do not know what you are young man."

Naressa then was about to take his advice and suggest anyone who wanted to could go outside for a break but then the male sprite challenged the man. That could have disastrous consequences. Naressa desperately thought of a solution, then remembered someone she had met once.

Dark and shadow based magic were not her area of expertise but she knew someone whose it was. A fellow sorceress, a woman named Alarra. Though a sorceress, dark and shadow magic was her speciality; perhaps she had encountered such a creature as him.

"However," Naressa said, "I know someone who might. A woman named Alarra; they say these days she works at the Peaches and Cream in Ketra."

[OOC, I was crafty and advertised one of my other characters lol. Make plottage out of it as you will ^^
Still one student left ^^]

Anonymous

The Image of Darkness raised his eyebrow at the sprite and laughed, 'go ahead, but I will not use my magic near you again. You were too badly affected the first time.'

Hopefully the sprite would not try to attack him. One or perhaps both would be badly injured. He turned back to the sorceress, 'thankyou. I shall make a trip there in the near future.'

He turned back to the sprite to see what he would do.

Anonymous

Lief stepped forwards so that he occupied the central position of the room. Folding his arms, so that they lay across his body he then closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Sylvia wondered what he would do; she could see the trembling of his body lessen, as his breathing became calm and more regular.

A warm green light began to glow around Lief, faintly at first, and then became more brilliant in intensity until he was surrounded by green swirling colours. Opening his eyes, which had now become a beautiful iridescent green, he said to Naressa, "Come forwards and try to touch my arm."

He had erected a shield with his aura; a force field, which should be strong enough to prevent anyone from getting close to him at all. It called upon the soothing energies of nature, and Sylvia instantly felt a calm sense of peace wash over her too, for this was a magic that she was incredibly in tune with.

Anonymous

[OOC I made my character Emora the last student because she's bored ^^]

Naressa went across to him but found she couldn't; obviously shielding magic. This magic could be a promising sign or not, it really depended on race. For a fairy or pixie it wasn't really all that impressive, for an elemental mage however it was incredibly advanced magic. How much practice had it taken for the sprite to learn it she wondered. Though he was beginning to look promising

"I didn't get your name," Naressa said.

There was only one student left and the sorceress was surprised she hadn't noticed them before; red hair, crimson eyes she looked almost exactly like Dalisme. That was certainly strange, unless of course the girl was Emora, Dalisme's twin.

The girl, whoever she was carried herself differently, she seemed shy and humble and very quiet not arrogant and confident like Naressa's former student had been.

Anonymous

Johnathan was glad the sprite only errected a barrier. The dark creature still had him a little nervous. He shifted uncomfortably and wondered what the next lass would do.

Anonymous

"The name's Lief," he said, with a salute. "Pleased to meet you."

Nodding politely, he went back to join Sylvia.

"Someone's turned the charm tap on then," she murmured with a snort.

"Jealous," he said, smirking.

"Jealous of someone I don't even know, eh?"

She didn't want to start bickering again, especially not for the second time. Getting kicked out wasn't an option for Sylvia, so she shut her mouth and ignored Lief for the next few minutes. There was only one more student, so hopefully Naressa would pick and choose soon.

Anonymous

The red haired girl stepped forward, visibly shaking. She was so nervous she looked like she was going to be sick.

"I'm E...Emora Panelen, I'm a Wind Mage."

"So it is her," Naressa thought.

She couldn't be biased though, Emora may be Dalisme's twin but she might not be as powerful. The girl was nervous as well but Naressa couldn't favour her because of that either. She would have to be impartial even though she couldn't help thinking in the back of her mind she would dearly like to take Emora on as a student.

The red head closed her eyes and for a minute nothing happened. Then an eerie silence passed over the room before the girl's hair began to float up as if lifted by a small breeze.

The wind outside then picked up and buffeted the windows before eventually wrenching them open. Meanwhile Emora began to float slightly and tornadoes began appearing around her and circling the other students. It wasn't very well controlled though and the students found themselves having to hold onto things just so they didn't get blown away.

The tornadoes and wind continued for a while until Emora opened her eyes and losing concentration fell back to the ground as the wind dropped.

"I...I'm sorry," she said, panting slightly, "I hope I didn't hurt anyone."

She didn't have Dalisme's control but she was more powerful than her sister had been when she first came to Naressa.

"Very well, that's all of you. Please wait outside in the corridor whilst I make my decision."

It was going to be quite difficult and she knew that she would probably have to take her limit of students. She could handle three at a push but hoped she would only find one or two worthy ones. It seemed she would have to take three.

Anonymous

Johnathan walked silently outside. What would he do if he didn't get in? He could find his sister, he could start up another bakery or he could find another teacher.

The Image of Darkness went outside and called out to Dave. The skeleton was looking as jovial as ever. He was currently strangling a cat that he obviously meant to revive.  The cat finally went limp and Dave looked up.

'Hey Darkness, how did it go? Does she know what you are?'
Darkness shrugged, 'no. She did recommend someone though.'

OOC: If you want to make a thread later with your other character, it would be a pleasure.