Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Magic Assessments: The Search for New Students! (Private)

Started by Anonymous, April 08, 2008, 01:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Sylvia marched out with the rest of the prospective students, followed by Lief. Some of the others were engaged in friendly conversation with each other, but she was too jittery to join in.

"I'm sensing tension," Lief snickered.

"Hmph," she snorted. "Empath sprites. What a useless power."

"Hey, reading emotions is pretty damn useful," Lief said. "You want to know what someone's cards are? Who not to bet for in a fight?"

Sylvia hugged her arms to her sides, and stopped listening. Her short attention span had just been captured by the fabulous wooden décor of the place. Imagine studying here! The whole house had a smell of magic that made her want to sneeze though.

"Atchoo!! Sorry..." She murmured, glancing sheepishly around.

Anonymous

[OOC Sure mdu ^^, Alarra's bored at the mo ^^]

Naressa watched the students file out. She had a couple of minutes to make her decision so hopefully it wouldn't be that hard.

First had been the fire mage Jonathan Foolsfoot. He had experience with using his magic for practical things but his display wasn't all that impressive. Juggling fire balls was a simple magic trick for a fire user.

Then had been the lightning mage...what was her name? She'd have to ask when they came back in. Her attitude wasn't the most sparkling but her magic was strong and there was a lot of potential there.

The shadow mage, Dilim was far too arrogant for her tastes and his powers were not something she was overly familiar with. Also it was notoriously difficult to teach elemental magic to shadow users.

The strange man who had filled the room with darkness hadn't come for teaching. So he wouldn't be chosen. Again she wasn't familiar with his powers and he was really too dangerous. The skeleton with him had run away at the first sign of trouble. She was not going to train a coward.

Then had been Lief. His powers were debatable as to whether they were impressive or not. It really depended on his race, he had been chatting with the nymph as well so again his attitude may be a problem...

Finally there had been Emora. She lacked control but she was very powerful. She had the right attitude, albeit being very nervous. There was plenty of potential.

Her limit was three but as she thought back, there was only really two she wanted to take on. She had made her decision.

She gestured towards the door and it opened.

"You can come back in now."

[OOC Okay, I'm mean but you will definately find out next time it's my turn ^^]

Anonymous

Johnathan nervously went back in. The Image of Darkness stopped the sprites as they went in, 'are you two okay? You might want to get a drink shortly.'

Anonymous

"We're fine," Sylvia and Lief both mumbled, averting eyes as they passed the Image of Darkness.

There was something about that guy that freaked her out. His magic made her squirm, made her feel ill.

"Go on then, Mr Bragger, what do you sense in that man then?" Sylvia hissed to Lief.

His eyes widened, but on checking the grin that was twitching at the edge of Sylvia's lips, he closed his eyes and breathed deeply. A second later, they jerked open and Lief almost tumbled to the ground, if it wasn't for Sylvia's arm.

"N-nothing, absolutely nothing...h-he's a blank," Lief muttered, shaking his head feverishly.

How pale he suddenly looks! Sylvia felt bad now, for making him do that. Helping him back into the room, she bit her lip and fidgeted, worried about Naressa's decision, and now about Lief.

Anonymous

Naressa glanced along the students, the two sprites looked unsettled and Emora didn't look any less nervous. The others looked a little edgy as well. The strange man with the shadow powers must still be scaring them.

"When I made my decision, I based it on your current level, your potential and your attitude. Some of you have the right attitude but there is little room for growth, others you are powerful but lack the discipline. And obviously I omitted certain people because they did not come for training, only to have questions answered.

She paused, "I have chosen two of you and the ones I picked were the Sylvia and Emora."

Anonymous

Dave bent closer to Darkness and whispered, 'what did you do to that sprite?'
Darkness looked over to the male sprite. He was terribly pale. 'I spead darkness across the room for my show. Surely you felt it? He must have tried something while we were outside.'
'I felt it. You could have warned me you know.'
'Still scared of the dark?' Darkness grinned at his friend. He knew it wasn't normal darkness that Dave was scared of; it was something much worse.

'Sorceress Naressa, I would suggest keeping the male sprite here. He has tried something stupid and may become mentally ill,' he looked into her eyes. His face was seriousness but his voice betrayed his concern for the sprite.
________
Johnathan looked at the floor. He had been hoping to learn a bit more, become a bit better, be of more use than a baker. Perhaps he still could; even sorceresses needed food. Alas, the embaressment he felt stopped him from speaking. He did not want to sound needy.

Anonymous

Sylvia's eyes widened and a second later, a huge smile broke out across her tiny face. Ah, so this plan hadn't been such a bad idea after all! She was almost ecstatic with glee, for she hadn't realised how much tension she had been carrying. There would be no more...accidents...no more being chased out of places...

"Hehe thanks, miss," she said.

OK...attitude, meh.

Current level...that was pretty much at a base line.

And potential...well she had managed to inadvertently destroy her own village.

Sylvia mentally went through Naressa's checklist and then wondered why the hell she had been chosen.

Anonymous

Naressa walked across to the male sprite, he did look pale. She placed her hand on his forehead...Ah, he had tried to read the darkness man. That had been a rather foolish thing to do.

She cast some healing magic on him. Hopefully that would help.

"I'm afraid there isn't really all that much I can do. He'll have to try and fight it off himself."

She then glanced around at the students. Sylvia seemed very happy with decision if a little confused, Emora looked like she was about to faint. She was a strange one. Dalisme was too cocky for her own good but the wind mage seemed too nervous. That would have to be worked on, maybe the nymph's attitude would rub off on Emora.

Naressa glanced at the others, "Does anyone want you know why they weren't chosen?"

She supposed they deserved an explanation, though she hoped they were smart enough to why they weren't picked.

"Yeah I do!" Dilim exclaimed.

The sorceress sighed, "Dark and shadow magic is not my speciality and it is difficult to train such mages in elemental magic. The main reason however, your attitude is is wrong. I suspect that you will constantly question me and complain about what I ask you to do. That's why I did not choose you. Anyone else?"

Anonymous

Darkness nodded. Perhaps he should keep an eye on the sprite once they left.
________

Johnathan sighed. It was his last chance so even if he did blow it, there was no harm done, 'I understand why I was not chosen: I do not have the power. I only ask that you consider me as your cook.'

A weight felt like it was lifted off his shoulder, it was incommonly brave for him to speak out. Why did he feel so foolish though?

Anonymous

"I'm afraid there isn't really all that much I can do. He'll have to try and fight it off himself."

Urk. That whole shebang earlier really didn't look like a good idea now that everyone was making a huge ass deal out of Lief. Even though she had been chosen, Sylvia still had a slight amount of fear towards the woman who was now standing close to her personal space, peering at Lief.

"Yeah I'll be fine," Lief mumbled, eyes averted.

"He'll be fine," Sylvia echoed, piping up. When they were out of earshot, she hissed, "You're not gonna go loony or anything are you?"

Scowling, Lief closed his eyes and placed a hand to his temple. "Whatever."

He looked less pale than before, which instilled confidence in Sylvia. Sprites, what a load of mischief. Her eyes travelled and locked on the young man who was now grovelling before Naressa. Boy, he stank of servility. Her own face became pale when she saw that nearby, that freaky man of darkness was still here. Eeesh already!

Anonymous

[OOC: Le gasp! I actually replied to a post less than an hour after someone replied! I haven't done that since 'Noble girl don't fall in love' lol.
I was up to date with my posts then Nightshaded posted like 5 minutes afterwards. You ruined my up to date status damn you!
...Oh well...Up to date again now!]

Naressa felt a little sorry for Jonathan, he must have quit his job just to come see her. She didn't need a cook and it would be unfair on the other students to reconsider him. He just wasn't powerful enough, he might make a good fire mage but she only taught mages who she could teach various elements to. Dalisme was an Earth Mage and Cirau was a Water Mage but because they were so strong they were able to learn other elements. It was doubtful that Jonathan could be trained to be anything other than what he was already.

Though, perhaps there was a way around this...

"I already have a cook, but perhaps you could be their assistant."

Then she could continue to watch and test him, and this way the rejected students didn't have to know she changed her mind. It was perfect. That didn't mean to say she would teach him but she could see if he might have more potential then he had shown. If he was living there she supposed she could now and again give him a few fire magic lessons and she doubted Sylvia and Emora would mind all that much, she would still spend most of her time on them after all.

Anonymous

Johnathan beamed. If he was allowed to stay, that was all he needed. After he'd finished cooking he would spy on thier lessons and practice in his spare time... Perhaps a little away fromt he house in case he did anything foolish. He loooked around the room, so this would be his new home. Perhaps he could get a message to his sister. She may even be impressed with him. Then again, it would probably be better to see her once he was a bit better at his magic. She may think this idea was stupid.

Darkness bowed and left. Once out of earshot he muttered to Dave, 'interested in a sprite hunt?' he then waited for Lief to come near. He did not believe the sprite was fine. If Dave had been comatose and still didn't speak about his accident, a creature of light should be a bit more perplexed.

Anonymous

The guy Naressa was retaining looked a bit too weedy to be handling food; he had the look of someone who would jump when the egg timer was done. Would he be cooking for her?

Slightly bored, Sylvia slipped away from the people she had been standing with, and went over to Emora. If they were going to be studying together, then she had better at least make an effort.

Anonymous

Naressa watched as the other students left, leaving just Sylvia, Emora and Jonathan.

She turned to the two girls, "You two may explore the grounds for now, lessons; will begin in the morning."

Then she turned to Jonathan, "You may explore with them if you wish or the housekeeper will show you where you will be working. You also start tomorrow"

With that she turned and left. She had her two students how, girls yet again. Gender didn't matter to her however, it was their potential and she had yet to work with wind and lightning mages. They would be a new challenge, exactly what she had wanted when she first decided to apply for new students.

////

Emora was relieved now that the test was over but she was still scared, Naressa was terrifying. Dalisme had said she was a kind woman but she just seemed strict and scary. She seemed like the type of person her twin would argue with as well, it was strange the earth mage liked Naressa.

The other student, Sylvia started to approach Emora then. She had a bit of an attitude but hopefully she would be friendly.

"Um...Hello," the wind mage said.

[OOC I'm going to hop into Emora's head for now and Naressa will probably be gone until the lessons start which I'll probably start in a new thread o.O]

Anonymous

Johnathan nodded to his... master, mistress? No, not mistress, 'er, what should I call you? I thought teachers would want you to call them Miss Narressa or something similar.'

Anonymous

"Um...Hello."

"Hey," Sylvia chimed in response, tilting her head to the side and smiling broadly. Her bangs fell across part of her face, so Sylvia tucked them behind an ear. Emora seemed kinda shy. Ah well.

"Nice show you did back there."

Anonymous

"You may call me whatever you wish, the two girls however should call me Master," Naressa said before leaving.

"Thank you," Emora said in response to Sylvia's complement, "Yours was good too."

She seemed okay; maybe the nymph just had a problem with authority. They would have to get along though, they were going to be studying together after all.

[OOC Mind blank...can't write longer post...]

Anonymous

'S-so, um Miss. What would you wish me to do first? Should I clean this place up or do I only work in the kitchens?' He didn't really want to go to the kitchens yet but he didn't want to interrupt the two student either. He doubted the nymph would want his company and he wasn't quite brave enough to go over just yet.

Anonymous

"Thanks," Sylvia murmured in response. Something Naressa said struck a chord with her. "Did she just say...Master?"

Her eyes widened at the thought of having to refer to someone other than by their name or by Sir/Miss. And...shouldn't she have said Mistress rather than Master? Turning to Emora, she implored the other girl with a questioning look, wanting an explanation.

Anonymous

"The day is yours," Naressa said to Jonathan," Do whatever you wish."

////

Sylvia obviously found it strange that Naressa wanted them to call her master and looked to Emora as if she could answer her question.

"My sister, Dalisme always calls Naressa 'Master."

She didn't know why though, there must be some reason but Dalisme had never divulged it. Maybe it was because 'master' sounded quite scholarly or that in the distant past only male sorcerers were allowed to be trained.

[OOC Is Jonathan following Naressa down the corridor? o.O]