Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

So...long time, no see? [Tal!]

Started by Rhindeer, April 15, 2008, 01:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Relief washed over her at that news and she let out a low sigh. "Ah, thanks. Well, in that case!"

She brushed her hands off on her pants to rid them of their crumbs. "Guess I'll go hit the market. It's been a while since I've been here, be interesting to see what's changed." With a final stretch, she rose to her feet, then paused. "What of you? Not gonna stay hidden away, are ya?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

Damn.  He'd almost managed to rid himself of her.

"Of course not."  He forced out a priestly serenity.  "The Sun is out and the day if beautiful.  And there is much I can reacquaint you with."

Rhindeer

Niamh beamed at him. "Great! So, what's changed? Anything big happen while I was gone?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

Oh, Light help him.  He wanted to punch her right in her happy, vapid face.

"Oh no, La'marri is such a sleepy little village."  He opened the door and waved her through ahead of him.  "It grows and changes, but nothing truly earthshaking happens here."

Rhindeer

Niamh stepped through ahead of him. "Ah, well, I don't mean La'marri specifically. I mean in general. News from home, status of the Lumenari, that sorta thing." She shrugged. "Like, the drow thing is new, y'know? That was pretty surprising. I guess I just feel kinda out of touch."

Tally

Speaker's home lay just outside of the village proper.  Close enough they could hear the sounds of life, but blocked from view of the main road by a copse of small trees.

"Alas, that is our plight here.  To be so far removed and so far into the barbarian lands, we naturally want for news of true civilization."  He shrugged.  "We all feel that way sometimes, I imagine."

Rhindeer

Niamh arched an eyebrow, but caught herself and forced her expression back to neutral. He probably didn't mean to do that, to answer everything but her question, and she let it pass. He was right; he likely wasn't getting much news, either, and what news he got was no doubt few and far between. They were all far from home.

"Yeah, I know I sure felt it. But this place is nice, kinda like home away from home." Glancing out in the direction of the village, she stepped a little closer to Speaker as they walked. It was stupid, but she felt better knowing that he was coming, as though his presence made it less likely that ominous stalkers would materialize in the crowd.

"This is a weird question, but do you know where I could get a dagger?" She'd had her own weapons taken away quite a while ago.

Tally

Speaker nodded.

"It is.  I've become accustomed to it, myself."  If one must make a home in these lands, La'marri was the place to do it.  Folk here minded their own affairs and left others to theirs.  It was too cold, though that could be said of most places.

"Ah, a dagger.  Yes.  I have seen a vendor who might do.  We can make our way there first."

Rhindeer

"Great! Thanks!" Niamh said, and followed along. She didn't look straight ahead as they walked, instead looking around the market cautiously. A year ago and she would have happily raced ahead of Speaker and explored on her own--and probably mouthed off to a few people here and there in the process. Which was what had gotten her into trouble in the first place.

Realizing she was falling into paranoid habits, Niamh tore her eyes away from the milling people and looked up at Speaker. "So what do you normally do around here?" she asked, and tilted her head. "I mean, aside from, y'know...priestly things." If he even did non-priestly stuff. She wasn't even sure what, exactly, 'priestly things' were.

Tally

Speaker spent the time of their stroll trying to imagine what his life had been like before he had to make accommodations for Niamh.  This was only their first full day together and already it felt he'd been stuck with her an eternity.  He had to find a way to get away from her after this.

His eye may have twitched at the phrase priestly things, but his voice remained admirably smooth if he did say so himself.  "I of course am not here merely to see to my own meditations and to keep the altar.  Knowledge is needed.  When I'm not seeing to the soldiers' needs I am keeping records and ensuring Breathes-the-Fire remains informed."

Rhindeer

"That's it?" Niamh said before she could help herself, then bit her lip when she remembered who she was talking to. Right. This was why she could never, ever fathom going into the priesthood. Serving the Mother was one thing, but there was nothing appealing about doing while cooped up inside.

"Uh. I mean...um, not that that's not a lot. That is! That's super important and everything and sounds like a shitload of work!" She winced, bit her tongue. "Er, pardon. A lot of work. Anyway! Just, you know, that sounds pretty stressful and everything. Surely you do things just for fun now and then?"

Tally

Was...was she condescending to him?  She was!  The frumpy little bitch!

If the priesthood had taught him one thing, it was how to look like a bloody fucking serene saint when faced with idiots.  No matter what thoughts went through his head, his expression remained the same—contemplative, calm, and more than anything else above everything in his sight.

"Fun?"  He chuckled like it was just the quaintest, most precious idea he'd ever heard.  "Like what?"

Rhindeer

"Like...like fun things?" Niamh answered, raising an eyebrow. "Like, I dunno! Whatever you'd find fun that isn't work. Like wrestling and climbing trees and sparring and card games?"

She snorted at the image that produced, covered her mouth to hide her grin, and cleared her throat. "Uh, not that you'd wrestle or spar or climb trees." He looked way too clean and stuffy and kind of delicate for that--hell, she was pretty sure she could take him in any match. Not that she would, because he was a priest.

"I mean, heh, you might! Just guessing, here. But you get what I mean, right?"

Tally

Mother Sun, grant me the patience not to dash her head in with a rock.

"I do know," he said, steering them to the right when they came to a crossroads near the center of the village.  "You mean diversions.  Ways to take your mind off your responsibilities."

Blessed Light, the armory.  Maybe she would turn her attention elsewhere for five bloody seconds.

"I find I have little time for such things."  He motioned her into the large, open air collection of stalls with their displayed weapons.

Rhindeer

"Uh, not exactly..." Niamh said with a frown. Something to take your mind off of your responsibilities? That was a bleak view of diversions—and it made her feel strangely judged. Both because it was coming from a church leader, and because it was coming in the wake of those letters, those accusations that she'd ditched her responsibilities and run off to live with heathens. That still stung, that while she'd been fighting for her life and sanity, Dimitri thought she was just...whoring herself around, like she hadn't been traveling with him for the better part of a year, like he didn't even know her.

Realizing she was tensing her jaw and clenching her teeth, Niamh took a deep breath in and out her nose and let the conversation drop. That had gotten awkward fast. Rolling her shoulders back, she picked up her pace, going on ahead of Speaker to browse the wares before he could notice her change in mood.

"I really miss my staff," she sighed as she looked the weapons over, pausing to check out some double-bladed staffs similar to the one she'd once owned. Only that one had been infused with incendia and had been far more special—priceless, even, as it had once belonged to her father—than any of the ones here. She wouldn't be able to afford any of these, though, so she moved on down the stalls until she found the knives and daggers.

The vendor watched her closely as she picked up and weighed a few here and there, testing their grip and examining their craftsmanship. Finally, she settled on one, a simple but sturdy dagger that would make her feel at least a little safer and that was in her price range. Which was to say, it would use up her last bit of coin. She paid for it, then returned to Speaker and held it up for him to see.

"Not too shabby, eh?"

Tally

Speaker watched her closely without giving indication of it.  Oh, she didn't like his turn of phrase, did she?  That left him with a bit of an opportunity.

While she browsed, he wandered away from her, to the edges of the stalls, and wove a bit of fire together.  He held it down at his side, palm hidden from her so that she would not see it as she approached.

"Oh, ah..."  He gave the dagger a genuine, critical look then told the absolute truth with the first real smile he'd worn in front of her.  "As it happens, I wouldn't know a decent dagger from a butter knife!  Though..."

He raised his hand, and a hummingbird of flame burst forth from it.  It flitted about between them, squeaking out a tune of random notes.  "Let there be no confusion.  Forgetting one's responsibilities is sometimes necessary, no?  How will we witness Her will if we are always looking down?"

The hummingbird dove down, straight into the dagger, where it burst into a tiny flower of sparks.  The flower held in the air for a space of moments, then died, leaving behind a red, etched hummingbird upon the blade.  A blessing.

Rhindeer

Niamh's breath caught in her throat, and for a second she couldn't breathe, could only stare at the mark in awe while sunspots still lingered in her vision. First the fire that didn't burn, and now this blessing, two blessings in as many days, all signs that the Goddess truly was still with her. She touched the mark carefully with her fingers and found the blade still warm where the fire had kissed it.

You are Solisi, bright and unburning.

Niamh bit her bottom lip as she stared at the mark, not looking at Speaker, letting his words and their talk from the day before linger in her mind. These were all signs, all omens, but she wasn't sure what they meant. She knew what she wanted them to mean, but...that wasn't the same thing.

What she wanted was to be with her people.

But she wasn't sure even a blessing could grant her that kind of acceptance. Being pardoned and being accepted were two very different things.

"Speaker? You, ah...yesterday you mentioned having me stay here a while. You know, figure out where I've been, where I wanna go. What if..." She traced the lines of the hummingbird, her voice dropping lower. "What if I wanted to be Lumenari again?"

Tally

Speaker.

He ran a hand behind his back so that he could clench his fist there without her seeing.  Calling him Speaker was hardly wrong and certainly not wrong enough to correct her, but it was just so bloody informal and familiar!  Bad enough he had to talk to her at all, but now he had to put up with her talking to him like they were good friends.

"I think," he said, "that question is perhaps meaningless until you can say it with more conviction."

Rhindeer

"I want to be Lumenari," Niamh said before she could lose her nerve, raising her eyes to meet his.

Tally

"Then," he said, turning to lead her away from the weapons stall, "you've fought half your battle.  Now you need only worry about the other half."