Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Can dreams come true? [[Vexing!!]]

Started by Anonymous, April 24, 2008, 05:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Ilana was walking through the forest. Draconi Forest. It was night, dark, and Ilana could not remember how she’d gotten here. But she kept walking anyway. An eerie feeling slowly crept up her spine, making her shiver. The familiar feeling you have when someone is looking at you but you don’t know where that someone is. Or if he’s even there. But somehow, it did not occur in Ilana’s mind to change into her animal form, or to transfer into the shadows. She just kept walking straight on, pushing aside branches as she walked, knowing she could not look back and could not stop. She had to keep going. The eerie feeling got stronger and stronger, and Ilana could hardly resist looking behind her. But if she did that, she would be lost. She had the sensation that someone could attack her any minute.

Suddenly, there was a rustle of leaves behind her, and Ilana was sure it was not her who had made the sound. Before she could stop herself, she’d turned her head to look what it was. She just had to know. Immediately, she regretted her curiosity. Two crimson eyes stared at her. Only a feet away. The clouds parted, and moonlight shone upon the enormous monster that Ilana was facing. It was not a werewolf. It was not a giant. It was a combination of both, or so it seemed. The giant werewolf growled soft and low at her. Ilana was paralyzed. The great head of the monster came closer and closer to hers, she could feel his hot breath on her cheeks. And the crimson eyes just stared. The magnificent jaws parted and rows of sharp fangs became visible. The wolf had positioned himself in such a way that now, his jaws were around Ilana’s neck. A fang made contact with her skin, and Ilana had already started screaming when the vision changed into a gray, thick mist, pulling her away from danger.

Ilana shot up straight, sitting up, her own screams still echoing in her head. She was panting, sweating and terrified at the same time. With wide eyes, she looked at her surroundings. The same as they were when she had fallen asleep. Thank the gods, Ilana thought. But she was still too shocked from the way too real dream to feel relieved.

The place where she was, was Draconi Forest, like in her dream. Luckily, the surroundings in her dream were not the same as the ones she was in right now. Ilana had been sleeping under a tree, tired from a day’s walk including getting lost a thousand times. Everything was quiet but for the owls and other nightcreatures. Ilana calmed down a bit, finally realising that her dream was not real and was not going to be real either. That was, until she heard the sound of moving leaves. Like the wind was blowing through it, only there was no wind. Ilana’s body went rigid. Was her dream about to come true?

Anonymous

A cold wind blew through Draconi Forest. Cain didn't usually mind the cold, seeing as how he often had more prominent troubles then the temperature. Now though, it was being a thorn in his side. For one, It drove most of the good game into their dens, leaving precious little for hunting. Secondly, it really irritated the gash in his throat, casing even more pain then the fact that he had massive tear in his throat. Well, it -did- give me the extra umpf I needed to kill that blasted wolf-man. Cain though with resignation. Also, it had saved the girl's life, although Cain could care less about that, personally, especially since now his curiosity would not leave him alone until he found out what in the world she was doing alone in this part of the forest. Which also meant that he had to keep her alive until he could ask her that. And so Cain had gone out foraging, and was still hunting as night slowly turned to early morning.

A thin film of frost had settled onto the ground during the night, and the layer of ice crunched gently under his boots as he trudged in between the towering trees. A flicker of movement under a small bush to his left drew his attention. He froze, gazing silently at the area where the bush had shifted. His sickly green eyes scrutinized the ground around the bush, looking for signs of what had caused the disturbance. His searched revealed small tracks littering the snow, likely a rabbit's. He grinned to himself, causing a cut on his lip to open up again, trickling brackish brown-black blood down his cheek and onto his chin. You may be clever, little one, but not clever enough to escape me. Cain thought as he lifted his right hand to acquire his catch. His eyes flared brightly as dark energy rippled down his arm to coalesce into a tight ball in his palm. With a flick of his wrist, the shadow bolt flew from his hand to the bush with frightening speed and accuracy, exploding at the base of bush. It lingered there for a moment, the lethal energy eradicating the life of both the animal and the plant it had sought shelter under. Once the the energy had receded, Cain slowly approached, bending down to fetch the carcass of the rabbit. It was a good size, probably the closest thing to real meal Cain had come across in months. He sighed, remembering the fact that he had gone hunting for the girl mainly, and if there was one thing kids were good at, it was eating all the food. Which reminds me, I should get back to check on my little gal. Cain stuffed the dead animal into the satchel he carried at his side and set out for the clearing he had left her in, raising his hood and shadow melding so that he attracted less attention from the inhabitants of the forest, if there were any others about in this cold. It was almost unsettling, Cain mused to himself, how silent the forest was at this hour, combined with the chill in the air.

After some searching, and a few wrong turns, Cain found his way back to the clearing. The sound of several different voices wafting from the clearing kept him from walking straight in. He swiftly hid behind a dense pocket of foliage, Projecting a Shadow form of himself into the clearing. Peachy. Just Peachy.As if killing that kriffing werewolf wasn't enough, now she's attracted a band of hooligans. There she was, nice and snug, wrapped in a blanket, and tied to a tree. Three men and a woman sat nearby, warming their hands with a fire they had evidentially built. They looked rough, all wearing a combination of leather and fur skins. Bah. Probably nothing more then petty trappers... or bounty hunters Cain's eyebrows raised in thought. If they -were- bounty hunters, and they were hunting this girl, that means that there would be a reward somewhere. Cain liked rewards. At first he had just saved the girl because she had happened to be in the jaws of a contract he was hired to get rid of, now, he could actually get something out of keeping her alive aside from sating his curiosity. But first, I have to deal with these ones. Cain canceled the Shadow form, Drawing up all his energy for the coming fight. As he prepared to step into the clearing, he drew his blades that he kept hidden under his robes. His face split into a predatory grin. And now the fun begins...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
((OOC: Sorry for the -uber- late reply... but then again your out of town xD so I guess it dosn't matter. When you get back though, I shall be looking forward to your reply ^_^ Have fun explain what happened with the trapper/bounty hunters/Whatever you want them to be. In case this is confusing, When Cain gets back, it's a few hours after your charry wakes up, hence the fact it's early morning in mine and nighttime when yours ends xD I want to see how you use this. Hope you get back soon, and that you enjoyed your trip =D As always, if there are problems with length or quality just let me know ))

Anonymous

The rustle of leaves had gotten stronger, and Ilana could not help that her body went rigid the same way as it had in her dream. It was like the nightmare all over again, a horrible incapacity to move or think gripped Ilana's mind and she could do nothing more than stare in the direction where the sound came from. She swallowed hard, barely daring to breathe. But nothing appeared from the bushes. Instead, Ilana screamed when a hand was put over her mouth too late to keep her from doing so, and other hands gripping her arms, pulling them behind her back and binding them with force. A dark figure appeared in front of her, blocking the moonlight, hands on the hips. Ilana could make out smug laughter when the figure walked away again, preparing to create a fire. Ilana struggled against the hands that were now wrapping a rope around her and the tree, chaining them until they thought it would not be necessary anymore. Then they walked to the upcoming campfire, calmly, as if they had not just tied a young woman to a tree. They sat down, leaving Ilana in the darkness, every once in a while glancing at her to make sure she had not found a way to get out.

There were three men and a woman, all clothed in animal skins and leather. They looked ragged and forest-inhabitants, although Ilana could not imagine what kind of person would want to live in Draconi Forest. One of the men stood up suddenly, walking towards her and saying nothing for some moments. He just stood there, analyzing her.

'So,' he started. 'You have come to Draconi Forest. Our forest. And a woman on her own is not entirely unwanted with us. Easy to corrupt, they are. Tell me, sweetheart, do you have any money on you?' Ilana shook her head fiercely. It was true. She had not have anything on her, except for some petty cash. Before she'd gone to sleep... and so, before her nightmare, she had buried her leather bag to make sure it would not be stolen while she slept. An old trick her grandmother had taught her. The man's eyes narrowed and he searched her rather harshly and touching her much more than he needed to. Ilana managed to kick his knee backwards, making him flinch, and then spat in his face. Slowly, he wiped the liquid off his cheek, his eyes evidently intoxicated with anger. 'You will pay for this,' he whispered ominously. 'Do you know what we do with rebels? We burn them.'

With that, he turned around back to the fire, leaving Ilana with a heart beating uncontrollably fast and fear in her eyes. A moment, she stood catching her breath. Then the rational thoughts started flooding in her brain again. She had to get out. Okay. That was a logical thought. It indicated the progress her mind was making. She tried twisting her hands so that the ropes would slid off, but they were tight and irritating her skin a lot. These people were certainly not amateurs anymore. Ilana winced when her hand hit a sharp twig sticking out of the tree. Warm liquid poured on her skin, and Ilana guessed it was her blood. But it brought her possibilities. She managed to break the twig off and was about to try and cut her bonds when the people at the fire looked up suddenly when a person appeared out of the bushes. Ilana could not make out much of his features but the incredibly green eyes that reflected the fire. Another member of these savages? Or a well-doer, coming to help her? The blades he pulled out in his hands brought her the answer.

[Really sorry for the late reply, I know it's kind of a crappy ending but I don't have any more time... if I do later I will edit =]]

Anonymous

At first, his entrance drew no reaction from those seated around the fire. They just sat, gazing at him in what was perhaps anger, or confusion. It didn't take much longer for them to all rise, the two men drawing swords and the woman a crossbow. Gods I hate crossbows. Cain thought to himself as he groaned out loud. His opponents mistook his exasperation at their weapons for a reluctance to fight, and closed in on him with greater impunity. Cain's grin returned, and he lunged towards the closest man, twisting to avoid the crossbow bolt that flew towards him, his twist caused it to miss his face by a fraction, instead tearing the cowl off his robe with it's force. Cain landed, parrying the man's upwards trust with one sword and driving the other into his gut, sweeping it up into his heart to ensue the kill.

"I liked that cowl." Cain declared ominously as he yanked his sword free of the corpse. The other man, after recovering from a brief bout of shock over seeing Cain's neck wound-exposed now that his cowl had been ripped off- raised his guard, evidentially a more careful fighter then his compatriot.

He growled as he slowly circled Cain. "He was my mate you know. I -liked- me mate."

"I liked my cowl better." Cain replied with disdain. The woman was backing away slowly, reloading her crossbow. Smart move lady. The man did not show the same level of intelligence. Angry over the loss of his "mate" and even more angered by Cain's causal insult of that same mates life, he abandoned his previous caution, instead charging with his sword raised high for a killing blow. Cain easily sidestepped, and slashed both blades in opposite directions, with the man's neck in between the two. In the blink of an eye, the man's head was separated from his body, mouth still moving with no words emerging, and his eyes wide with shock.

Cain shook his head slowly, saying "They never consider how hard it is to mend a proper cowl before they go and tear it. How selfish."

Turning his attention back towards the woman, Cain quickly surveyed the clearing to locate her. He found her, standing right by his little charge, with her knife to the girls throat. Oh, thats just lovely

"One move towards me, and you kill her."  She threatened, showing her deadly seriousness by pricking the girl's skin lightly with her knife. All the while she had her crossbow aimed at Cain, but he doubted she could shoot straight with one hand, so really all he had to worry about was the hostage. Cain grunted with irritation. Why do they always have to use hostages? It's so messy, and annoying. Especially when I want the hostage alive... for once.

"And so, what do we do now? You would rob me of my prize if I move, and I will most certainly slay you if you make an attempt at running." Cain gave her a mocking smile.

"Either way, you die. Of that I can assure you. Kill you girl if you like, that just makes your life shorter."

Cain saw indecision flash in her eyes, and her crossbow waver. He snorted

"Make your move already, I'm getting bored with standing out in the cold without my cowl."

His goad worked, he saw her body stiffen, determination alight in her eyes. Cain gave her a lopsided grin and blew her a kiss to throw her off balance, then winked at the girl tied up to the tree. He wonder briefly what was going on in  -her- head at the moment.

((OOc: Taadaa xD hope you enjoy. Any problems let me know. And it's no problem about the late replies, take your time, Quality over quantity and btw, you did fine xP so dw about it ^_^ ))

Anonymous

Ilana hardly had any time to process what her eyes were witnessing. The two men who'd held her hostage had been killed by the newly appeared man with unnerving cruelty and indifference. Then, before being able to respond, a cold metal blade was set against Ilana's throat, a chill running down her spine.

"One move towards me, and you kill her," Ilana heard beside her. The woman was the only one with a slightly smarter move. Anger was an ever good stimulator, but it created a feeling of recklessness and was meant to lead to death.

"Either way, you die. Of that I can assure you. Kill you girl if you like, that just makes your life shorter," the man with the unnaturally green eyes spoke confidently. Ilana's eyes narrowed. Not an unusual technique in these kinds of situations, but Ilana hated it when it was used. Especially being the victim herself. The man winked at her, and she returned it with a hard stare. Her hands were still working their way through the bonds with the sharp end of the twig. Ilana could feel she was almost through. But the man had spoken again and the blade against her skin trembled, creating a small cut. Ilana swallowed and carefully twisted her wrists to try and tear the rope apart. But before she could force the rope to break, something odd happened.

[OOc:: -_-' My god, kill me if it's really as bad as I think it is. Seriously. But I did not want to make you wait any longer, if I think of anything more to add today I will edit it... Hope you're not very mad or disappointed O.o
Take care.]

Anonymous

The woman had finally had enough, or so it seemed. He saw her begin to move away from the girl, attempting to get behind the tree before Cain could react. Tsk tsk. Foolishness. Cain initiated a shadow step, coming out of it in between the woman and the girl. He gave a big grin to the horrified woman, quipping:

"Told you that you were going to die, and I try my best not to disappoint."

He jammed both blades into her midsection, cutting both blades upwards in a V shape. He smiled with satisfaction as the two pieces of the woman fell with a meaty thump. Cain took a few calming breaths before turning and slicing through the girl's bonds with a casual swipe of his blade. He squatted down, coming eye to eye with the girl. Without mincing any words, he told her mock sternly;

"You see what you did? You made me lose my cowl. I liked that cowl. Ugh, nothing can be done about it now. So, how have you been? Aside from being taken captive and all that fun stuff."

Leaving her tied to the tree, he went around and searched all three bodies, coming up with little more then a few coins and some useless trash. When he searched the woman , however, he came across something interesting. A folded piece of paper, tucked away in a back pocket. Cain carefully unfolded it, eye's widening at what was on the paper. So the damsel in distress actually -is- worth something. The paper was a missing person poster... for a princess. With a -hefty- reward. Very nice. He quickly folded it into -his- pocket, making sure to keep it from the girls sight. Deciding that the chance of battle was next to nil, he slowly replaced the blades to their proper places under his robes. He turned to the girl to find that she had already cut her bonds Note: resourceful little kiddie.

"Ok kid, here's the deal, your hungry, and I have food tucked away nearby. You don't run away from me screaming, and I feed you. How's that sound? Good? Good." He smiled gently to her, bending down in front of the fire and change the position of some of the logs in an attempt to salvage it. He gazed into her eyes, lifting one of his eyebrows when he saw that she was looking at his injured neck.

"Don't worry about me, happens all the time. I'll be fine." As he finished speaking, he saw lights blinking in and out around the edges of his vision. Oh boy, here it comes. He smiled once more at her, this time a weak smile.

"Well, fine is relative."  Cain fell into the soft snow, unconscious from blood loss.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
((OOc: Ok XD Maybe I roleplayed to much today. If it's bad, or not entertaining in any way, let me know and I can rewrite it. Right now I feel like following after Cain xD Nap time. Take care, looking forward to your next post ))

Anonymous

The way her rescuer killed the woman was exceptionally cruel in Ilana's eyes. She cringed as the body fell to the ground with a dull thud and there was no sound following it coming from the body anymore. No breath. No whisper. No heartbeat. Ilana shivered, and finally succeeded in freeing herself of her bonds while the man searched the dead ones. For a moment, he stood with an unfolded paper in his hands, studying it carefully, his eyes lighting up. Then he quickly folded it again and placed it under his robes, turning to Ilana again.

"Ok kid, here's the deal, your hungry, and I have food tucked away nearby. You don't run away from me screaming, and I feed you. How's that sound? Good? Good," he said. Ilana didn't answer. She stared at the gaping hole in his neck, bleeding still, on the place where the cowl first covered it. He saw her looking and said it was nothing, it happened all the time. But then his voice weakened and his eyes rolled backwards in his skull, his body colliding with the ground next to the fire, dangerously close to the burning logs. Ilana ran to him and rolled him away from the fire with some difficulty, on his back and took a close look to the wound. Her expression was anxious, for this man would probably not survive without treatment with this kind of wound.

She stood up and went to the body of the man that had been first killed, and ripped off his shirt. He was the only one wearing something that looked like a cotton blouse, which was exactly what she needed. Ilana tore the shirt in strips all about two inches wide and then went to break some of the big leaves of a nearby bush. It was a disinfection method. Ilana rubbed the leaves together so they started to produce some kind of moisture. Then she put it on the wound in his neck, wrapping the bandages carefully around it. She was grateful now that she knew some things about medicine.

Ilana looked at the man and sighed. He seemed to be more than he pretended to be, but in some way she pitied him. He was different. She stood up and went to find some food, and succeeded to catch a fish in a nearby pond by changing to her bird shape. The fish would do for the both of them. She went back to the campfire and threw on some more logs. Then she heard a groan behind her, and looked around. The man was waking up, thankfully. Ilana pushed a stick through the fish, hanging it above the campfire, and said:

'So, are you feeling okay?'

Anonymous

Sometimes it really sucks being a plague mage. Cain groaned as he slowly regained consciousness. Hmm... smells like... fish. Why does it smell like fish? Cain opened one eye inquisitively. A fish was slowly cooking over the fire. Oh, so thats why it smells like fish. He heard a voice faintly, like a conversation taking place on the other side of a stone wall. Cain stealthily opened his other eye. Oh... the girl. The very valuable girl. Probably not good to ignore her. Cain sighed resignedly, rolling into a sitting position, legs crossed- and almost blacking out again when the blood left his brain, eliciting another groan from his lips. Wait... wasn't she talking to me? Turning his gaze to her, he hastily replied.

"Uhm.... what? Oh... Yes, I'm ok. Well, for me, I'm ok."

He then stretched, appreciatively sniffing the aroma of a cooking fish. His hand absently moved to check on his neck wound, when it came into an unexpected contact with cloth.  I don't remember dressing that. His hand explored the full expanse of the bandage, hand running up and down his neck. To neat for me, must have been the girl. He slowly worked a finger under the wrapping's edge as he spoke to the girl.

"Thanks for caring darling, but I don't really need this."

Closing his eyes, he swiftly tore the cloth off of his neck, wincing as he heard-and felt- A good piece of his neck that had melded partially with the patch tear along with it. He shuddered in the aftereffects of the pain, tossing the bandage into the flame. In no time at all, blood was once again pouring freely from the wound, perhaps worse then before. Oops.... maybe I -did- need that. He swiped his hand over the wound and brought it in front of his face, making a face at the thick, brown blood that had wiped off. That can't be healthy. Even though his sickness and his wounds gave him more magic power, if the wound was to severe it could prove fatal, even for him. He gazed back at the girl and winked.

"Any chance you know any white magic?"

Of course she doesn't. She's just a kid. A kid with a very high price tag Cain reminded himself. He took a few moments to cast a plague spell on himself, mumbling and lightly brushing his fingers on his neck. There, that should slow the bleeding... and cause spine-jarring coughs. Ah well, such is the price. As if on cue, a massive burst of coughing sent his body into a spasm. After he had regained control of himself, he flashed the girl another quick grin. Won't do any good to scare her away. I doubt the reward will be very high for a dead body. And I could use the money... white mages don't always work for free. Turning his attention back to the girl, he made an attempt at conversation.

"Do you have a rough idea of how long I slept? Oh, and did you catch that fish all by yourself? By hand? Thats some skill kid. By the way... my name's Cain."

The sun was rising steadily now, Warming the forest and causing some of the creatures to finally leave the safety of their dens to go foraging. Oh sure, now you come out, you little ingrates. He gave a stormy glance to a nearby furry creature, sending it scurrying into the brush. Bah, oh well. No food won't kill me. At least not before these wounds do. He almost subconsciously began to play with shadow flame in his left hand, igniting it and snuffing it out with motions of his hand.

"So, what are you doing this far out in the forest all alone? It's not a safe place here, at night especially. But I guess you already know that... after getting attacked two nights in a row."

Cain eyed her reaction to his statement, which by all appearances was a surprised one. Hmm.. temporary amnesia? It was a pretty close call.. maybe her mind blocked it out.  

"Well... at least the fish is done. Eat up, I won't eat any till after you do."

Cain sat back and contented himself with examining his charge. She looked small, although he knew that she had to be at least over 18 by now. Pretty by most standards, although Cain had no real interest in woman anymore, seeing as how if people stayed near him to long they would soon become a rotting corpse. Another wonderful perk of 'controlling' disease. Cain found a sad humor in the irony of that. He had control over his own sickness, and he could inflict it easily on others, but he could never contain the passive degeneration he and others who spent time around him were subjected to. The deadliest disease is the one that I cannot control. After musing a few moments on his current condition, he stirred, and moved to stand up. After only a few seconds of standing, he a familiar dizziness and darkness around the corners of his vision. Come on! Again?!? Didn't I already do this? and with a soft thump, Cain once again fell into the snow, succumbing to the effects of his several injures.

Anonymous

Ilana watched the man tear off the bandage she'd just carefully made in a single movement, and raised one eyebrow in disagreement. She was not about to argue, though. The blood flooded out of the wound again, making the man wince, and Ilana had some difficulty not to laugh. Very stubborn and unwilling to take any help, he was. He would have been better had he left the bandage on. Ilana turned the fish again, noticing it was almost done.

She answered the man as he asked if she knew any white magic and how long he'd slept. Ilana sighed when she glanced at the wound in his neck again.

'I... don't,' she said hesistantly. Not the magic he was probably talking about, anyway. 'And I think you slept for about one and a half, two hours. Something like that. You should have left the bandage on. Didn't put it there for fun, you know. I may not look like much but I do know something about bloodloss and when the limit is reached. Like yours was two hours ago.'

Ilana's eyes went to the man hands, a flame dancing round in them. What kind of powers would this man have? She decided to keep her distance for now... not show what she was and why she was here. No, it would be unwise to tell him anything. The way he acted was way too self-conscious to be benevolent.

Wait. What did he just say?

'Two nights? Did you say two?' she asked incredulously. When he nodded, her mind raced over last night. No, nothing had been there, she'd just been sleeping against a tree, nothing happened. Or did it? There was this horrible nightmare... but dreams were just dreams. There was no way it could have happened in real life, Ilana told herself. Impossible. But her eye fell again on the man's neck wound, ragged on the sides, like some enourmous beast had taken a bite off him. The image of the giant wolfe appeared in Ilana's mind again, jaws around her neck, the same side as the man's neckwound. Ilana drew a sharp breath. Impossible. Or not? If the man was a mage... a plague mage...

'The wolfe...' she whispered with eyes widened in fear. 'The wolfe... did you ...? Have you... saved me from it? Was it not a dream?'

But she already knew the answers. She stood up and staggered away backwards, but the man had collapsed once more. Ilana was breathing heavily, staring at Cain's body. He saved her... everything was too obvious to be coincidental. With small steps, Ilana went to Cain and repeated the procedure with the bandage she'd done before. At least that stopped it from bleeding and Cain from passing out once more. A tear fell on his cheek, and Ilana realised it was her own. Damn. Quickly, she finished his bandage and picked up his cowl from the ground. With hands and some improvised pins she fixed it up slightly so that he could wear it again. She'd have it fixed properly when they came to a village with a tailor practising in it.

Ilana scraped the skin off the fish and removed the bones, dividing it in two. She still wasn't quite over the shock that the wolfe had been real, and worse... that she had not had the strength, the power to protect herself, to use her powers. She let her head rest in her hands. She remained this way until Cain woke up again, he hadn't been out too long this time. Half an hour at most. The fish was still warm. She passed him his half.

'Eat... I hope it's good,' Ilana said. 'And leave that bandage this time. You might say you don't need it, but it won't cause you more hurt if you leave it this way. At least you won't lose any more blood and pass out again.'

She hesitated for a moment.

'And err... thank you. For saving me. Twice.' Her black eyes looked into his green, sincere and thankful. If he'd not been there...

Anonymous

Cain once again came too, his eye's dimmer then they were before. At least I'm not a blood mage. Then this would -really- suck. He grinned wryly. There's always a bright side... I suppose. I still smell fish... and there it is.

'Eat... I hope it's good,' Ilana said. 'And leave that bandage this time. You might say you don't need it, but it won't cause you more hurt if you leave it this way. At least you won't lose any more blood and pass out again.'

Hmmm... Well she does have a point Cain conceded to himself.

'And err... thank you. For saving me. Twice.'

Oh joy... she thinks I'm some do-gooder... are plague mages -ever- good guys? I don't think so. Cain slowly- He did it slowly because he couldn't do it any other way- slid the fish back to her.

"I'll be fine little one, Your the one who needs this. I can get something later if I need it."

He couldn't have been asleep for long, for the forest looked almost exactly the same as he had left it. We should get moving soon Cain thought to himself, and tried to rise to his feet. He abruptly was back down in the snow, fighting off another black-out.  Ok... so we can't move -right- this second. He groaned in frustration. Turning towards the girl, he inquired again;

"So miss... I don't I ever heard why you were out here all alone, attracting all sorts of unsavory creatures. Including me. He thought with a grim humor. He decided to just lay there-because there wasn't much else to do- and wait for her response.

Anonymous

Ilana sighed again. Dang, he's stubborn. She saw him first pass the fish back to her, saying he didn't need it, straight after trying to stand up and almost fainting again, and subsequently asking her why she was here. Ilana rolled her eyes.

'Eat the fish. The reason you pass out is probably not only bloodloss but also hunger, which you don't feel when you're that weak. I can't eat a whole fish on my own, maybe just this half, so just eat it and stop complaining.'

Ilana decided that a forceful attitude was the only thing that was going to make him listen. So be it, she thought with amusement. His green eyes scanned her and she looked away quickly, taking a bite of her fish. It was very good, still warm and very tender.

'My name is Ilana,' she said quietly. 'And there is a reason why I am here, but I don't feel like sharing that with you at the moment, sorry. Just eat your fish and shut up.'

They ate in silence and Ilana did not knew what to say anymore. She kind of killed conversation with her last sentence, but it worked. When she finished eating she opened her mouth again to say something, but a noise kept her from actually producing tones. Her eyes widened at seeing the colors of Adela appear on the backs of horses and on the doors of the carriage that approached. One of the riders called out when he recognised her.

'Princess Ilana! We have been searching for you all over! Are you allri --' His words stuck in his throat when he saw Cain sitting next to her, blood on his clothes. Ilana already felt the connection he was making. Cain had kidnapped her and taken her to this place, hoping they wouldn't find her. Exactly the moment Ilana had thought this, the guard's expression turned grim, a sign that he'd made the link in his head. He gestured some other guards to come along with him, and they ran across the open space towards them.

Anonymous

What is it with her and getting me to eat? Cain sighed. His head hurt, his neck hurt, pretty much all of him was either hurting or numb from laying in the snow. I wonder if she will give her name.  He smiled at her mock sweetly as she was talking about his wounds and that he should eat. He stared back into her eyes, not entirely comfortable with the genuine care he saw there. She looked away and ate some of the fish before talking again.

'My name is Ilana, And there is a reason why I am here, but I don't feel like sharing that with you at the moment, sorry. Just eat your fish and shut up.'

Bah, fine woman, it's not worth the argument. Hmm.. and you did give your real name. Naive girl. He brought the fish back to his side and began to eat gingerly. Having decaying teeth doesn't help with the eating part. He grimaced as one of his teeth shattered even on the tender meat of the fish. He ate in silence for a few moments, enjoying himself despite the pain of chewing. Then he heard the horses. He didn't say anything at first, it would do no good to tell her, and hopefully they would just pass by. Then he saw he eye's widen at something behind them. He half turned, blinking rapidly to try and banish the encroaching blackness that threatened his eyesight. Son of an Orc. There goes my reward. There was a troop of Adelian soldiers, and a carriage, quickly approaching. A rider spurred his horse forward when he saw them, excitedly hailing Ilana;

'Princess Ilana! We have been searching for you all over! Are you allri --'

Cain saw the soldier's face change, and the other guards quickly approach to guard his flanks.

"I hate it when people jump to conclusions." Cain said aloud to no-one in particular. "You don't want to do that..." He warned the guards threateningly. They still approached, weapons drawn. Your sorely mistaken if you think I'll meekly let you take me. Cain's eyes blazed brightly, a faint green smoke seeming to leak out of them. If I initiate shadow form I won't feel anything until after the battle... better to die now and take them with me then to die years later in a prison chamber. Swiftly he cast the spell, his body turning darker, and taking a transparent quality. All of his body turned a dark purple, aside from his eyes which still burned with a bright and sickly green. As the spell was taking effect, he shot to his feet, drawing his blades and infusing them with the most virulent and fast moving diseases that came to mind. The snow around him melted, with the ground underneath blackening and cracking. The fish he was just eating rotted away with alarming speed, the bones turning to dust soon enough. This is going to be fun. The guards skidded to a halt, eying him with suspicion. He grinned at them, although he knew they probably couldn't see it.

"You called the thunder, now you get the lightning.You want your precious princess, take her. "

One of the braver guards darted in to take her, hastily drawing her back to "safety"

"Now, do we really need to fight? Can't we just leave each other be? .... no then? Your choice...  I suppose you have the right to choose when you die. Which would be pretty soon here, by the way."

He lazily left his swords at his sides, willing them to make the first move. Then a man got out of the carriage. He wore robes... white robes. Stang. He was definitely  a mage. A good one too by the robes he wore. Cain nervously took a step back. I can't take them all on. Nonetheless, he raised his blades, unwilling to bend to anyone's will but his own. Well... one thing is for sure. There will be blood in the snow before the day is done.

Anonymous

Ilana had no time to react when one of the guards pulled her away from Cain. Some part of her didn't want anything to happen to him, she didn't want him to get hurt more than he already was. Cain had turned transparantly dark purple, except for his eyes, his ever green eyes that reminded her of emeralds.

The sound of an opening door stirred Ilana and she looked back at the carriage, where a most familiar figure stepped out. Lloyd. Usually, Ilana would have been most happy to see him, but she knew he was here for a reason, and Cain's presence only added another. Her refusal to marry any of the nobles or princes he proposed had frustrated him to the core and her as well. She wanted to choose her own partner, which was why she had run away.

The thing that worried her now, though, was the fact that Lloyd was a mage, a white mage, and he was powerfull enough to crush Cain. Ilana shook the hand the guard was still holding her with off her arm and ran to Lloyd.

'Please,' she whispered when he raised his arms to give the guards the sign to attack. 'Please, don't do this. He didn't do anything to me, I don't want him to get hurt. I promise I will... I just... I'll do anything.' Her voice broke, the last part Ilana added put the tears in her eyes. She had just condemned herself. But it had worked. The old man lowered his arms again and, oddly, clapped. The noise was awfully cold and harsh in Ilana's ears. The guards looked up in surprise, and so did Cain and Ilana.

'Well, well, well,' Lloyd said with the deep voice Ilana had known since birth. 'It seems that our princess has reached her goals. Guards, do not lay a hand on this man, any at all. There is something I must tell you, and you shall be honored to be the first to hear this. When Her Highness Princess Ilana vanished from the capital, she did not, as most thought, ran away. She went after the man she loved, she had to save him from many dangers. And it seems like it all worked out. Men, may I present to you Princess Ilana's fiancé?'

A deep silence fell over the gathering. Ilana stared in shock at the man that had practically raised her. Hearing the dull thud and seeing Cain falling on the ground simultaneously from the corner of her eye made Ilana suspect he felt the same as she did, but because he was weakened he passed out. The awe, shock and apprehension had taken their toll, the last the body could take. Cain's purple color had vanished and Lloyd rushed over to him, holding his hands over his body and whispering soft words with his eyes closed. Slowly, the wounds and the blood on Cain receded, until nothing was left anymore. Ilana could only stare as the guards lifted him up, still unconcious, and laid him on the soft bench in the carriage. A soft hand on her shoulder made her look up, and she looked right in Lloyd's face. He was smiling. Ilana could not. She shook the hand off her and stepped in the carriage, sitting in the corner, laying Cain's head on her lap. She stared out of the window for the rest of the journey, tears occasionally sliding down her face and dripping on Cain's forehead.

Anonymous

Cain was weeping. Weeping for her. She lay at his feet, her features placid, set in that same warm smile she always flashed when they met. He feel to his knees, oblivious to the shouts of soldiers and the screams of the citizens. The one thing, the -only- thing, that he cared about... was her. His tear's fell freely. He though in anguish to himself;

'Why? Why have you done this to me? Why... were you so cruel...

Her chest was a gaping wound, blood flowing freely out onto the cobbled streets. On Cain's swords dripped her blood, on his face the remainder of her last kiss. Her mouth moved faintly, and Cain hastily bended down to hear her words.

"Silly... boy. Now... you are truly...alone."

Cain should have been angry-hateful, even-but he didn't. All he felt was pain. Heart rending pain. She had left him... Dimly, in the recesses of his mind, he wondered if she was ever really with him. For a seeming eternity he knelt there, unmoving, eyes riveted to her now still form. Then a guard charged him, slashing high for a assuredly fatal decapitation. Cain's arms moved mechanically, blocking with his left arm and jabbing  with his right. The man collapsed, clutching the wound. Cain's mind was spurred by the emergency. He dealt with his grief the only way he knew how. Kill it. Cain searched his brain sluggishly, searching for the source of this overwhelming emotion. He soon found it. And destroyed it.

'Never again. Never again will I let this happen.'

Cain's body was no longer frozen by shock or slowed by grief. His mind was clear, his actions sure. He cut through the remainder of the guards and made good his escape from the town he had been hiding in, once again eluding the justice that sought him.

Now, in the present, Cain felt that anguish he felt, each time someone healed that part of his mind... the memories never went away completely. Cain just shut them out, each time it popped up. Like right now. He quickly found it in his mind and inflicted it with a targeted virus, it would take longer to work, but he had a hunch he would need his brain in better health then he usually kept it. Cain hadn't moved so far, he figured it was wise to play the part of the recovering... well.. whatever he was. What was all that about... I'm her what now? Has that guy been abusing the cure spells? While he was still musing on the possibility of insanity among white mages, a drop of moisture hit his cheek, and slowly trailed it's way downwards. A royal carriage with a leaky roof? What now? Cain opened his eyes, and realized... it wasn't a drop of rain. It was a tear. His head lay in her lap, and she was staring out the window, crying. Bah. She shouldn't let the old man pull things on her like that. He stirred to let her know he was awake, and quipped gently;

"Hey, I'm bad, but I'm not -that- bad. Seriously princess, I don't want this any more then you do. First chance I get I'm getting out of here, speaking of which..." he glanced around the cabin. And if it isn't Sir captain of bright ideas himself... There sat the elderly white mage, gazing serenely at the two of them. After a moment of unsure silence, Cain looked up into Ilana's face and spoke half teasingly to her.

"Scuz' me princess, but, although your lap is a wonderful thing to be in, I'd rather sit on m own for the time being." He finished his sentence with action, deftly sliding to the other side of the cabin and sitting up in one smooth motion. He turned to the white mage.

"So, uhm... thanks... for the healing and the whole calling off the guards thing, but I really do have  some things to attend to, and I must be going, so, if you would please call off your guards, I'd like to be going now."

He sat expectantly, waiting for an answer, and winked at Ilana while he waiting for the older man's reply.

(( OOC: Hope you enjoy. I'm not 100% happy with it, but I don't know what else I can do. ))

Anonymous

Ilana listened in silence to Cain's words, not knowing what to reply. She felt odd, like someone had just put his hands around her head and shook it frantically, disorganizing her thoughts, rearranging them in random order, throwing in some distant memories and familiar feelings. She just knew that marrying Cain would be the last thing she wanted. They would hate each other and make each other's lives miserable without a doubt.

Cain adressed Lloyd.
"So, uhm... thanks... for the healing and the whole calling off the guards thing, but I really do have some things to attend to, and I must be going, so, if you would please call off your guards, I'd like to be going now."

The older man smiled again in that serene way, his certainty written on his face, a calm, wrinkled exterior that hid many secrets within. When Lloyd glanced at Ilana, she returned his gaze with an icy stare. He had betrayed her trust beyond imagining.

'My dear friend,' Lloyd started. 'I do not think you fully understand what favour I did you. In the first place, I saved you from your injuries, I healed them all but one, which is unfortunately an incurable one. Your heart. That is not something mages can cure.'

He paused for a moment, clearing his throat, and then continued in that deep voice of him that Ilana knew so well but did not want to know right this moment.

'The second thing I saved you from is death by the hand of Princess Ilana's guards. They would have killed you without a moment's hesitation. Or perhaps they'd just put you in jail for the rest of your life. For those two favours, I have asked you only one in return, which is that you marry the Princess.
Ilana asked me humbly not to hurt you, and seen as she run away from the Royal court in flight of any marriage and also including the fact that I granted her request, she now will return the favour and marry you.
You've both gotten what you wanted. I got what I wanted. If, for any reason at all, you decide to even try to get away, it might occur that I reconsider and have the guards kill you anyway, or perhaps I feel like doing it myself. So do what you want, but I think your best option right now is to do what I suggested.'

Boom. In these kinds of situations Lloyd was at his best. He was a good talker, knew how to corner his opponent. Ilana shivered and pulled her legs up on the bench, wrapping her arms around it and letting her chin rest on her knees. It made her look ever smaller than she was, and more vulnerable, too.

The silence and tension that now hung between the two men struck Ilana like a thunderbolt, the electricity between them was almost tangible. She glanced at the men, waiting, hoping for one of them to break the silence. And with every second, the turning of the weels and the evermoving legs of the horses brought her closer to misery.

Anonymous

Cain listened with growing incredulity to the relic's words. Dear friend? Dear friend?!? I know when I'm being ordered, and I don't take that, not from you. Cain rubbed his neck absently, knowing he could not deny the fact that his wounds were no more. Bah, my heart is no longer real, just an idea, an idle wish for a bygone time. A part of it died each time I lost someone I cared about. Now there's only room for one care. And thats looking out for myself. Cain rolled his eyes, waiting for the white mage to continue. Even though he was healed, he -still- felt a little dizzy when marriage was mentioned. Does he have  brain damage? Memory problems?!? Does he know what I am? How can he imagine that will work out? I don't want to be a future king! That would be... torture. That will -never- happen. Not while I'm breathing. Then Cain's angry thoughts skidded to an abrupt halt. She -what-?!? He gazed at her, with something akin to fear-or was it vulnerability?- in his eyes. Why? Why would she do this for me... Everything else the mage said just didn't penetrate the dark fog surrounding Cain's mind. No... I'm not letting this happen again. I won't go through this again. Death is better... I choose death. Tension built in Cain's body. He slowly piled deadly disease upon deadly disease, topping them off with vicious virus strains. He suppressed a shudder as power began to build in his body, flooding his veins with a burning energy. I will -not- live through this. Life's not worth living if all I ever have are scars. He turned slowly once more to Ilana, gazing deeply into her eyes. Since these are probably my last words... might as well make it good. He carefully manipulated his voice so that it was low and earnest, speaking unwavering to Ilana. If I'm about to die anyway... whats the point in lying again?

"I'm sorry Ilana... it's nothing against you. I guess life just doesn't hold the appeal it once did for me. Perhaps luck will play into your hand, and someday you'll marry for love. Believe me... I'm doing us both a favor. Goodbye, princess. Next time you run away, stay away from wolves in the night." With that said, he gave her a wide grin, and smoothly shadow stepped out of the carriage. He briefly saw the mage rise to his feet and open his mouth to say something that Cain didn't catch. As he expertly shifted back into physical form so that the mage couldn't use white magic for as much harm, he not so expertly collided back first into one of the horses riding along with the carriage. Oh that was real smooth Cain. As both he and the rider fell to the ground, Cain quickly grabbed his swords. I wonder if they tried to remove these... it always comes in handy to have weapons chained to your body structure. Rolling away from the fallen rider, He came on in a crouch, casting about quickly to take stock of his targets. Most were still recovering from shock, unsure of whether to attack him or just leave him be. Cain did a mock salute and declared;

"I have to take a royal bathroom break. I shall return soon."

Without any other delay, he was sprinting through the tree's as fast as he could go. Hmm... perhaps I don't have to die after all. Then he heard a shout from the direction of the carriage and the sound of horses hooves beginning to make chase. Then again... He risked a quick backwards glance to check their progress. Most were a good distance behind, but one in particular was gaining recklessly on him. The same guard that had first spotted them in the forest, Cain noted. Cain felt the diseases begin to tug at his strength. It was a delicate balance, for if had had to much sickness, he attacks were potent, but he was so weak a breeze could defeat him. But if he didn't have enough illnesses coursing  through his system, his power was next to nil, and he was the same as any other man. Now or never. On the next stride Can dug his feet into the ground, Lashing out blindly with both blades, one to his left and one to his right. His body recoiled as his right blade hit flesh when the rider, unable to stop his forward momentum, charged straight into the cruel weapon. A shriek of animal agony tore through the forest as Cain sliced off the unfortunate horse's left front leg, causing it to topple to the ground, as well as the rider... In theory. In actuality, the rider foresaw the outcome of his mad dash, and had beforehand dropped from the saddle, and now stood slightly behind and to the right of Cain. Ahhhhh... so we have a smart one. Cain spun to face the soldier, sending snow flying in all directions. Cain felt his eyebrows lift in mild shock. The boy had to have been no older then 18, his features still retaining youthful innocence and naivety. Cain laughed harshly, the sound more like a bark now that one of the diseases had ravaged his throat already.

"I didn't know they enlisted boys to guard princesses."

The boy's face turned dark with anger as he shot back:

"I didn't know the picked filth to marry princesses."

Cain tilted his head upwards and did a half bow, replying;

"Ah, quick with your tongue as well as your feet, but I wonder how fast you are with your sword?"

Cain lunged, twirling so he would bring both blades down in swift succession , an attack designed to disarm a foe. The guard pivoted and blocked with his shield, but spun with the blows so he would deflect most of the power away from his body. He continued his turn, coming around with a powerful sideways slash at Cain's midsection.  Cain brought up one blade to block and then with the other he attempted a slice at the guard's neck. The boy was ready for him though, and his shield echoed with the resounding clang of a deflected blow. Dancing backwards from a vicious shield riposte, Cain paused to catch his breath.

"Your good for a child. Whats your name, kid?"

"You really don't deserve to know, but considering I'm about to kill you, I'll think of it as a dying wish. My name is Kerrin. Kerrin Orthos."

Cain bowed elaborately. "Well Sir Orthos... it's a shame your life was cut so short."
The boy give him a 'have-you-been-drinking-recently' look. Cain just smiled , before shadow shifting into the spot directly behind the boy. Cain's blades settled into place behind his heart and over his neck.

"You.... you cheated." The boy murmured in disbelief.

Cain smiled, and whispered mockingly into Kerrin's ears; "All's fair in love and war." Cain's hands just began to move, the swords pricking Kerrin's skin, when suddenly A bright flash exploded into existence in front of Cain. Kriffien Mage! Were the last two words Cain though before Kerrin, taking advantage of Cain's distraction, dived and rolled, avoiding Cain's blades and coming up into a perfect striking position. Cain had less then a second to register surprise before Kerrin thrust his blade into Cain's corrupted body, spilling oily black blood all over the snow.

"Remember, worm-all's fair in love and war." Kerrin snarled as Cain dropped to the ground, heart ruptured by the cold steel of Kerrin's strike

Anonymous

Ilana recoiled as Cain looked deeply in her eyes and spoke with odd sincerity. It was like the warm feeling you get after being stung with a pin and your skin tingles. Ilana half raised herself from the bench when he turned purple again and vanished from the carriage.

'Stop!!' she shouted, halfly panicking already. The carriage came to an abrupt halt and before it was quite still Ilana had already jumped out, followed by Lloyd who gave the guards the signal to follow. Ilana started running. Slowly, first, but faster and faster as she followed the sounds of the horses hooves and the shouts of the guards. The noises got louder as she got closer, and finally she had a vision on Cain. It was not a pleasant one. In the distance, Ilana could see one of the younger, inexperienced guards, whose name she believed to be Kerry or something, in an odd position with Cain's blades on his neck and belly. Then, something white appeared next to them. Lloyd. He was just there suddenly, appearing out of midair, white light splashing all around him. Ilana saw Cain flinch and Kerry taking advantage of his recoil, turning fluently and, to Ilana's shock, penetrating Cain's midsection with his sword, running him through completely.

At about that point, Ilana had reached the two men who now weren't fighting anymore, and Cain fell to the ground at her feet. She fell on her knees next to him in the snow, not taking notice of the cold that slowly took control over her body. He was having trouble breathing, coughing and rattling, when Ilana closed her eyes for a moment and pressed a kiss on his forehead. 'I don't want you to die,' she whispered. At that moment she saw his eyes roll backward in his skull, and frantically tried to wake him up again. Two hands pulled her away by her shoulders, while other hands hoovered over the body once more, spreading a white light, making the wounds receed. Lloyd looked up.

'He did this to himself, Ilana. Don't blame yourself.'
-------------------
Ilana sat in the window, staring out at the city. They were in the castle again, in the separate wing where her parents had lived and where now only she and Lloyd lived with their guards and servants. She sighed and looked behind her, at the master bed where the guards had put Cain and where she had put some blankets over him. He was still not awake. She didn't want to admit she was worrying about him.

Ilana stood up from the window and went to put on some candles and torches. It was already dark and before this moment she couldn't be bothered to light them. When she was about at the last candle, she glanced at the bed once more and saw that Cain was waking up slowly, apparently having difficulty opening his eyes. Ilana finished lighting the last candle and turned to him, positioning herself on the edge of the bed.

'Are you feeling okay?' she asked in a small voice. Before he could reply, she had continued already, speaking rather quickly as if in a hurry. 'I know this wasn't what you wanted and it wasn't what I wanted either, I'm really sorry about putting you in this position and I shall do my best to get you... and me... out of it as soon as possible again. But for now, you'll have to play along. Lloyd is going to keep a close -a very close- eye on us the next few weeks, but then we will find a way. I promise.'

Her big black eyes looked in his green ones with a pleading expression, willing him to participate for only a few weeks. There was no other way. He had to be getting tired from fainting and getting hurt and fainting and getting hurt again some day, right? ... Or so she hoped.

'And if you don't want to do it for yourself... then do it for me, if that helps in any way,' Ilana added hesistantly. She couldn't predict his reactions, so she just hoped he wouldn't laugh at her for saying this. Why does everything always have to go the hard way? Ilana thought with a hint of anger on her face.

Anonymous

"Cain, you should stop worrying so much darling, those frowns will give you wrinkles."

Cain tore his gaze from the scene outside the house for a moment, giving his companion an embarrassed grin.

"I would stop worrying if they would stop searching, Meg."

Megan rolled her eyes. "Maybe they would stop searching if you stopped causing so much trouble in the city square." She gave him a pointed glare as she finished speaking. Cain grumbled something about the fact that he didn't start the trouble and quickly looked away from her, settling his gaze once more outside the window. Several silent moments passed between the too. Then, just as Cain was about to apologize, feeling rather foolish for his caution, he spotted a patrol slowly making their way down the street. Swiftly motioning Megan to be silent, Cain crept away from the window slowly, drawing his makeshift weapon-a stolen sword from a guard he had fought earlier. Cain waited tensely in the shadows of the room, while Megan hid behind the bed in the corner furthest from the door. He heard the guards approach the house, not with the usual grumbling of a group on patrol, but with the silent purpose of men prepared for a fight. Cain felt sweat begin to gather on his forehead, silent willing the guards to pass by. They paused by the door. Cain began to think they had somehow been found, against all odds. But then, he heard a gruff voice declare;

"This place is clear, lets move out."

Cain slumped down against the wall in relief, glad that they had avoid detection once again.
Then Megan cried out.
Cain spun, instantly bringing his sword to bear on whatever foe was assaulting her. His spin ended with him gazing on an apologetic looking Megan.

"What the hell was that?" Cain hissed.

"I'm sorry Cain... there was a spider on my leg, It scared me." Megan replied gingerly. Cain groaned inwardly, holding out his hand to help her up. 'Wait... the guards must have-' Cain didn't have time to finish his thought before the door bust open, kicked down by a burly looking man wielding a two-handed axe.

"He's here! go get the others!" One of them shouted. Cain raised his blade to defend himself, trapped in a house with only one door.

"Remind me why you picked this house again?" He muttered under his breath to Megan.

"I thought it would be easier to hide in." She whispered back defensively. Cain snorted with derision, rolling under a ponderous swing from the guard with the axe. He slashed as he came up, creating a gouge in the man's backplate, which caused the man to lose balance and stumble to the ground. The next guard came at him with a mace, throwing himself at Cain. Cain jumped backwards to avoid the blow, intending to execute his counter once the man had fallen from his poor form. Instead, the man stopped, and grinned at Cain. 'What's his problem? Does he think he can best me with smiles?' Then the prick in his back became noticeable. Pivoting, Cain found the cause of the prick. A guard-holding a small dart in his left hand-stood behind him. 'Poison' Cain realized, a little too late. His body no longer obeyed his urgent commands. He felt his head loll to one side, and his arms sag. He saw a guard approach Megan, his arm outstretched towards her. Cain's mind was beginning to submerge into the murky depths of unconsciousness. Megan sent a pleading gaze towards Cain, backing away from the guard. Then she tripped, and the guard rushed her.

A barrier broke inside Cain, freeing something that should never have even existed.

Somehow, the poison no longer controlled Cain. Cain found that he controlled it. His vision became sharper, deeper. Cain located the poison, as it rushed through his veins. He contained it, commanded it, and controlled it. It gathered at his hand forming into a deadly green orb orbiting his hand. He turned slowly to the guard who had injected him, smiling at the man's fear and confusion. 'Pathetic weakling.'

"I think this belongs to you." Cain's smiling turned predatory. The guard lifted up his hands in a gesture of surrender. Cain didn't care. He threw the affliction like a person throwing a ball. It hit the man straight in the face, rapidly overtaking his brain and killing him near instantly. His eyes searched the other guard with a piercing gaze. Not on the outside, the superficial... but on the inside. 'There.' Cain thought with satisfaction.

"My my, do you have a bit of a cough? Oh look, I think it just took a turn for the worse."
Cain twisted his hand, ramping up the severity of the guard's cough. The man doubled over in a coughing fit, and soon blood spilled from his mouth. Cain knew he would be dead in a matter of minutes. He turned to the man with the axe, who was now charging towards him, roaring in rage about his lost partners. Cain rolled his eyes, easily avoiding the slash and digging his sword into the man's back one again. Only this time, he went much deeper, piercing the heart on his way up the man's back. That left one guard remaining, the one standing over Megan. Eyes blazing, Cain wasted no time snapping the unassuming man's neck. For a moment he just stood, gazing down at her face. Then her eyes opened, and she stared at him with.... fear? Loathing?
She whimpered, cringing away from him. "Wha-what are you?" Cain recoiled. 'She doesn't recognize me? Doesn't she know...' Unable to hear her quite weeping any longer Cain set off aimlessly, automatically avoiding contact with people, until he accidentally stumbled into the town square...

That mage has got to be a sadist. Cain awoke from his memory, his nightmare. His eyes hurt, his brain hurt, hell, all of him hurt. Then he felt a weight on the edge of his bed. What now? A voice broke the relative peace of his surroundings. Bah, stupid girl. Of course I'm not feeling ok, I was just killed. Dieing is painful. He endured listening to her apology, and that Lloyd-probably that sadist that kept healing him- would be watching them. Not that Cain would be doing much of anything soon. He stared up into her sincere black eyes. Bah. Do it for you? I wouldn't lift a finger for you, unless there was a reward for it. Cain lifted his eyebrow at her last comment.

"Ilana, dear princess, I really could care less. I want to leave. Now. The only problem is, I can't move. Which is a problem for someone who wants... movement. So why don't you leave me be and let me rot for awhile, it's what us plague mages do best."

Anonymous

Ilana stared at him for a moment first, unable to believe his reply. She knew he wasn't the friendliest of persons, but this was not something she deserved. Was it? Something broke inside of her. She was tired of the day's events, she had been forced to engage, of all people, Cain and now he was insulting her on top of it all.

Her black eyes suddenly burned and in a single move, her flat hand made contact with Cain's cheek, leaving a quickly reddening mark on his skin. Ilana had some difficulty to restrain herself, keeping herself from spitting right in his face.

'How dare you. Seriously. All I ever am to you is kind, and you keep rejecting it, you keep putting me down, why do you hate me so when I've never done anything to make it that way?' Her voice was cold and full of surpressed anger, and she stood up to leave the room without even waiting for an answer. She slammed the door behind her and let out a sort of -rawr-. Ilana paced down the hallway with long strides, almost walking into Lloyd who had turned the corner at the end.

'Ilana, how are you?' he asked with sincere concern in his voice and raising his hand in the process of laying it on her shoulder. Before, however, he could do so, Ilana had already slapped the hand away and slipped past him. 'Ilana...!' Lloyd called after her, but she didn't react.

Ilana realised where she'd been heading when she reached the kitchen door. It was already night and she'd not eaten yet. Quickly, she pushed it open and went inside. The cook was still there, already cleaning up. 'Hi Ilana,' he said with a surprised look on his face. 'Late time to come to the kitchens. Can I do anything for you?'

Ilana forced herself to smile. 'No thanks, Renco, I'll manage. Just need a little meal, but I'll prepare it myself and clean up afterwards. You can go home if you like, I will finish here, I need some peace and quiet.'

He nodded and said his regards, leaving her alone in the kitchen. Ilana's hands had turned to fists, and before thinking she took a plate from the counter and threw it against the wall with all force she had left in her body. A way to release her anger, finally. She felt things inside her calm down again, and started cleaning up the pieces.

Then she made a quick meal, preparing for two, just some potatoes with a piece of lamb meat and some tomatoes. She ate her dish quickly and then took a tray and put the second plate on it, along with a bottle of wine and a glass. She took it upstairs, hushing her contradictory emotions by telling herself that Cain didn't mean what he said because he was probably shocked and tired too.

She pushed open the door of her room and took care not to make eye-contact with Cain as she walked to the bed and set the tray on the bedside table.

'Here, eat,' she said to him and went to sit in the window again, a book in her hands.

Anonymous

Touchy one, isn't she. Cain mused as he rubbed his cheek gently. While she was away, Cain took the opportunity to rise from his bed. Or at least try to. He was halfway there before he suddenly felt as though someone had dropped a horse on his back, causing him to swiftly fall back to the soft mattress. He lay still for a moment contemplating his options. Then he thought of a solution. Of course! He took all my diseases away... robbing me of my stamina. The irony was not lost to Cain- His "Weaknesses" made him stronger. Considering for a moment what would work best-it would have to be subtle to avoid being healed again by Lloyed-Cain mentally ran through several different diseases. Finally settling for a few minor internal ailments, he infused them. Familiar pain stirred in his chest, followed gradually by the strength to sit, and then to stand.

Deciding to risk a stretch, Cain groaned, attempting to shake off the stupor of an extended sleep. Examining himself, he discovered that his clothes had been taken from him, replaced by a flimsy, white, sheet-like material. Ugh, I looks like a walking bed. Or a white acolyte. I think I'd rather be a bed. He cast about the room for some alternative to his current apparel. It was the first time he had really took in his surroundings. As far as castles went, he supposed it was pretty well off, although he had admittedly only been in a few, most of them ancient ruins that needed to be cleaned of some dark infestation. There were torches, which were the norm, some tapestries, also norm, and a surprising amount of furniture, which was not normal. There was also a window, which meant that it was either a tower, or on the wall. By the relative opulence displayed in the chamber, Cain assumed it was a royal chamber. Well they're certainly wasting no time, that's for sure. He checked his hands to make sure there were no rings on them. He felt a wry grin tug at his mouth. It wouldn't have surprised me. Returning to his search for better attire, he came to a large wooden closet, situated beside the bed. Moving to it, he unlatched the doors, and began to browse it's contents. Bah. Gaudy. Ridiculous. Terrible taste in fashion. Ugh.

Cain decided that perhaps a white sheet was more desirable then these royal garbs. He was about to move to the window when he heard approaching footsteps. He briefly toyed with the idea of hiding behind the door, ambushing whoever it was currently entering, but then realized there was a chance it was Lloyed, and if it was, things would not go well for him. The steps then stopped at the door, and he heard the faint click of a latch opening. Acting hastily, Cain jumped into the bed, rapidly pulling the sheets up over his body, and miming sleep. The door opened, and shut. He could hear the footsteps clearly now, softly hitting the stone floor. Ilana. Irritation flared inside Cain. He opened his eyes to see her place some food on the bedside table, telling him to eat. Can she speak anything other then an order? She then took a seat by the window, book in hand. Cain rolled over, pretending to be weaker then he was, and examined the food adjacent to him. He felt his stomach growl. He frowned, ineffectively willing it to stop. He was hungry... no. It was probably drugged, or filled with something that might make him well. That would never do. He'd have to prepare something on his own later. He grunted, and rolled to face the wall.

"No thanks, I'm quite fine. Why don't you feed it to the local rats? They'd probably appreciate it."

Bah. I have a bounty to collect. I need to get out of this, out of here... before the old relic can concoct any "bonding" activities. That would be decidedly worse then death.

"So, darling betrothed," Cain began scathingly, "any ideas about how to get me out of your mess? Them bounties are tricky things you know, you have to -collect- them." He finished with obvious sarcasm. He was aware that another slap was most likely on it's way, but he really didn't care, she had caused a lot of complications for him, and it was annoying, in the least. He found some satisfaction in getting under her skin, since all she had done for him was make life harder.

"You still owe me that cowl, you know."

It was not unlike pouring gunpowder onto a fire, only she took slightly longer to explode. He grinned at her impudently, waiting for her reply. I have this sinking feeling I'm about to be in a lot of pain. Then Cain thought that if he was to be damaged, he might as well get a little more out of it. He quickly stood, gazing down at his robe before meeting her simmering eyes.

"And by the way, while your at it, any chance you could find me some clothes? It's rather awkward wearing a sheet you know, and I already checked the closet. Whoever owns those has a terrible fashion sense. If you could find something in black and green, that would be oh so wonderful of you, Princess."