Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Can dreams come true? [[Vexing!!]]

Started by Anonymous, April 24, 2008, 05:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

All of his sarcastic comments and insults flowed through Ilana's mind, building up to a climax where she could just about prohibit an outburst of anger and, probably, tears. She stared out of the window blankly, although there was nothing to see except for her own reflection and vaguely that of Cain, now everything was dark. She studied her own face in the glass, noting that it looked ghostly and unlike herself. She looked tired.

Ilana knew that she needed a night for herself, a night of privacy, silence and most of all, rest. It was not likely that she was going to get it, though. Lloyd had insisted they share this room, to 'improve their relationship', so to speak. Bah. Much it was going to improve. Ilana just had to look at their positions now to know that there was absolutely no doubt that their relationship would improve. I mean, right now we are six feet away from each other and already dying to kill each other. Sleeping in one bed, about two feet in between, would certainly make things better. No doubt. ABSOLUTELY no doubt. Ilana was sick of her own sarcastic thoughts and shook her head to get rid of them.

At Cain's request to get him some clothes, she merely shrugged to hide her anger and turned to him, staring him in his unnaturally green eyes coldly with her blacks. 'I am afraid that is your own problem, SIR. If you want other clothes, go and find them. Or perhaps you should ask Lloyd. I'm sure he'd be thrilled to do your will.'

Ilana's mouth was set in a single line, her lips pressed together furiously. If he wanted it this way, he could get it this way. She was not going to make it any easier for him by being harder on herself.

Anonymous

Cain smiled slightly to himself. The expected slap didn't come, she had reached the point where she imploded, locking her anger away. That's fine by me. Cain turned away from her, heading towards the door. Placing his hand of the door, he spoke quietly over his shoulder to Ilana.

"Princess, if you cannot handle one man such as I, you cannot hope to rule your kingdom."

Cain's eyes pierced Ilana's for a single moment, and then he was gone, leaving the door open. Must women be so... difficult? Cain began to wander aimlessly through the many corridors, ignoring the stares from the people he passed by. He was absorbed in his own thoughts, his own world. His body was actually healthy, a rare thing for a plague mage. A complete healing was not usually possible, only highly skilled white mages could accomplish such a feat. This thought did not cheer Cain in the least. For one, it indicated that this Lloyd was not going to be easy to get away from. Additionally, his mind's degeneration had been reversed, and he had full ability for rational thought and also for normal emotions.  That was the part he hated most. He sought the solace of insanity, often destroying parts of his brain just so he didn't have to feel the pain that came with being human. He knew he couldn't get away with that here, with the white mage around. He felt despair begin to saturate his thoughts. This couldn't be happening to him. Hadn't he already been through enough? Didn't Lloyd understand how poor of a choice he had made? With steadily building anger, Cain continued to pace through the castle, his thoughts growing steadily darker. Where does he get the idea that I'm going to just play along and be his little pet project? I'm no-ones partner, no-ones servant, and never a friend. Friendships only cause pain. Noticing that he had begun to walk faster and faster, he slowed, leaning against the wall and catching his breath. His stared blankly at the paved floor stones, hating all the re-emerging emotions that cascaded into his consciousness. One began to distinguish itself form the others becoming more defined. It was... amiable. An attraction. Cain's head snapped up in surprise. Impossible. There was no way. He wold not allow himself, he was not going to go through that again. However, the feeling persisted, and he furiously threw cold reasoning at it, trying to stifle it with logic.

"I've been through this before, it won't work, it can't."
"Does that mean you should never try again?
"My condition would never allow it, anyone who draws near is cut down."
There must be way to reverse it. Lloyd is a powerful mage, you should ask him.
"It isn't real, it's probably just a seed planted in my head by that damnable mage."
So what? It's something, it may be the best chance you'll ever have.
"No. I cannot. Will not. I don't care if it's my last shot. That just means I only have to fight this one more time."
So your just giving up? Your not even going to try? You coward. Kal would be disappointed in you.

Cain's ears rung from the animal howl that erupted nearby. He glanced quickly about before realizing that the howl came from his own lips. Kal... not you... anyone but you. He lashed out at the wall he had been leaning on, a burst of darkness escaping from his arm and pulverizing the a small area of the wall. Staring at the hole in the wall disbelievingly, all he really felt was drained, and blissfully free of emotion once again. As he looked into the room, he noticed two rather startled looking humans in a bed together, clothes scattered about the room. His eyes came to rest on a set of black robes across the room. He motioned to them and asked:

"You don't mind if I take-"

The both shook their heads quickly, sliding under the covers a bit more. Cain smiled amiably and switched from the tattered white sheet to a more fitting black set of clothing, form boots all the way to a black headband. As he left the room- Through the door this time- he commented.

"You sir, have a wonderful sense of fashion. oh, and you should really get that hole fixed, it's unsightly. "

They once again nodded repeatedly, and Cain was on his way. Cain's stomach growled mightily, and he decided that with a fully rejuvenated body, he needed a real meal. Setting off towards the faint smell of cooked food, Cain subconsciously began to busy his mind with menial tasks to keep it off the instability of his emotions as he ambled downstairs to the servant areas.

*                                            *                              *                            *  

Meanwhile, Bodyguard Kerrin Orthos walked nervously towards Lady Ilana's room, arguing silently, but heatedly, with himself on whether to enter the door and check on her. Part of him  argued that he needed to see if she was safe, because he didn't entirely trust that "Cain" person Lloyd had said was her suitor. The other part argued that it had nothing to do with duty, he just wanted a few moments with the princess. He halted in the middle of a hallway, the princesses room just around the corner. He stood still for a moment, sweat building on his brow. Finally, he shut his eyes and wiped the sweat off his face, walking forward once again. He reached the door, and stopped once again. Biting his lip worriedly, he thought briefly that he might be intruding on her, he didn't want to barge in at a bad time. He heard faint movement however, so he assumed that she wasn't sleeping. Beginning to grow uneasy, he started to turn away, before on impulse his hand reached out and gently pushed the door. It opened slowly, creaking on it's hinges dreadfully with it's languid movement. He cringed, knowing it was to late to turn away, and stepped tentatively into the room and calling out in a low, unsure voice.

"Princess Ilana? Are you alright?"

Anonymous

Ilana could hardly believe what Cain said just before leaving the room.

'Princess, if you cannot handle one man such as I, you cannot hope to rule your kingdom.'

For a moment, she lost control and sped after him when he left the room, in a state to injure him very badly, if not kill him. A dark fog in her head kept her from seeing like she used to, rage inflated her thoughts and she could not conceal her emotions anymore. At the door, Ilana came to an abrupt halt, and for a moment she thought of calling him names and screaming like a child, but her dignity surfaced at just the right time. So she just slammed the door as hard as she could, the room trembling, paintings on the wall rocking back and forth on their spot. Ilana turned and leaned with her back against the door, closing her eyes, and then slowly sank to the ground.

Tears ran down her face, and Ilana hid her face in her hands. For a few moments she sat there, letting the emotions run freely down her face. She did not remember even once in her life when she had been so angry and so sad at the same time. She hated Cain. She hated him. The worst thing about what he had said to her was that he was... right. She was not fit to rule a kingdom. But hopefully she'd never really have to.

Ilana got up with some difficulty, to a door in between two great windows at the castle wall. She opened it and stepped on the balcony, letting her hands rest on the banisters. Deeply she inhaled the fresh air, her face still wet from the tears when she heard a voice calling out her name. She didn't answer. She didn't even look up when somebody stepped on the balcony and came to stand next to her. It wasn't Cain.

Ilana bit her lip to conceal her emotions when in a soft voice she spoke a single word.

'Why?'

Anonymous

Eating quietly, Cain slowly made his way around the castle, ignoring the odd stares he collected. It wasn't their place to judge him, he only allowed what -he- wanted to dictate his actions. At least, now he did. It wasn't always that way, not that it mattered now. Love was just another word for pain, in his opinion. The kind that didn't make him stronger. The walls in his heart had been built high and wide, very few ever managed to breach them. Those that did, died anyway. So why did this Lloyd want so much for them to bond? Did he wish his precious princess to die? I think he's the one that needs healing. shaking his head at the ridiculousness of the situation, he continued to the center of the castle. Having strolled into the courtyard, he was drawn to the center, where several of the guards were sparring with wooden swords. After watching them carefully from a distance, he found himself moving up to the circle of guards, enthralled by the sparring. Two men were engaging in trading lightning blows, their strengths almost even. Almost. Then the lesser overextended his reach, and was taken off his feet by a vicious strike. Their drew booth cheers and boos from the surrounding guards, and gasps from all the young women. Cain smirked, wondering what they would do if he were to take center ring. As if reading his mind, the victor of the previous bout caught his eye and asked:
"Well well, if it isn't our prince to be. Care to test your mettle with Adela's finest?"
Cain grinned, and replied " Don't mind if I do." He reached for the blades at his side... and then finally pinpointed what had been missing. My blades are gone! The twin blades that he had long ago melded with his flesh had been removed, taking away his only constant companion. This must have been Lloyd. He thought with Venom. Never mind, it's to late now. He grabbed the sparring sword that was tossed at him, and then held out his other hand. The guard raised his eyebrow, but nodded and Cain was given a second sword. The man who spoke stepped out of the circle, saying
"Who wishes to fight him first?" A young guard, eyes full of ambition and what was probably pride, quickly moved into the circle.
"I will challenge him."
"Very well Stephan, you may attempt first."
Cain stepped into the circle of guards, and crossed his swords in salute. Stephan smirked, saluting loosely with his own weapon. Cain made to move, but then stopped, looking around the circle curiously.
"Only one at a time? Why not three?"
The guards burst out in laughter, one of them maneging:
"Why don't we see how well you fair against one first, boy."
"Very well..." Cain's eyes went cold, emotion draining from them. Stephan, to his credit, noticed the change, ending his mirth and raising his guard. Cain took two steps towards him, then leaped into the air, striking twice before landing behind Stephan. Silence replaced the laughter, and for a moment no-one moved. Then, Stephan wobbled unsteadily, and fell, sword clattering to the ground. Cain rose from his crouch, dusting himself off. The guards looked at him with newfound respect, and no small amount of animosity. They did not appreciate one of their own being taken down by a princeling. Not that it mattered Cain wasn't one yet, it was all the same to them.
"Ok, we'll do it your way this time. Three on one. Prepare yourself, Young prince."
"Feel free to add however many you want, I might break a sweat that way." Cain did a quick sidestep to dodge an early swipe, and then the fight was on, three guards working together to take him down. As for Cain, he was a whirling combination of blocks and thrusts, managing to strike yet not be struck. After no more then 15 seconds, one of the guards was down, and another quickly replaced him. Cain soon found himself woven into a tight triangle, being forced to stay on the defensive or risk a blow. Jumping straight up into the air, He kicked two guards in the face, twisting as he fell to catch the last one with a sword. All three fell. With slightly labored breathing, Cain smiled at the remaining guards.
"Who's next?"
Five guards drew their swords. Now it gets interesting.  Cain gave his best predatory grin. "I love stacked odds." was all he said before becoming occupied in more pressing matters. In the midst of the brawl, he was naught but  a wraith, bringing down exacting vengeance on those who made mistakes. Soon only a one guard remained standing. He eyed the fallen guards disdainfully, standing off to the side of the battle. He was the one who had been victorious in the first bout, the one who had invited Cain into the circle. Looking up from his unconscious comrades, he stated:
"I guess that just leaves me."
Cain, breathing heavily, sweat glistening on his brow, merely nodded, and signaled with his sword that he was ready.
"Very well, if you don't think you need a rest..." Cain barely had time to block the lightning blow of the sword as the guard spun by him, forcing Cain to pivot to keep facing him. While the other guards attacked without great strategy, partly do to the confusion and partly by Cain's tactics, this Guard was smart, fast, and tough. Cain decided the captain's stripes on his armor were well earned. After nearly five minuets of intense fighting, Cain finally gained the upper hand. They had broken off, and were facing each other. Cain, feeling exhausted, especially since he was not at his best, managed to gasp.
"I think, Captain, that you are better then me."
The man raised his eyebrows, asking:
"You concede defeat, princeling?"
"No..." Cain shadow shifted, appearing right in front of the Captain and taking his sword away while bringing his own to the man's neck "...I just have to fight dirty."
The Captain inclined his head.
"You're a mage, I'm impressed. Most of the time they're not skilled with weaponry of a more physical kind."
"Well, I decided that it was better to have a backup in case I shorted out." Cain winked.
"Fair enough. I hope we didn't prove to boring for your... refined tastes my lord." Cain noted the change in his title.
"What's your name, Captain?"
"Erick, my Lord."
"You are the most skilled swordfighter I've ever come across Erick. Truth be told, you would have bested me if we fought much longer."
"Well sir, it wasn't exactly fair. I was fresh, and you had just taken down 32 other men, not to mention your recent wounds."
Cain grinned at his humbleness. well, everyone has flaws I suppose. he thought Sardonically.  Erick glanced up, looking around them for the first time.
"It appears we have made quite the scene M'lord. And I think you may have some new admirers..."
Cain's head shot up, and he quickly scanned the crowd. At fist he didn't notice anything in particular, but then he saw them. Around the square, there were several knots of young girls, from peasants to minor noble's entourages, whispering and giggling, always looking away when his gaze fell on them. Trolls blood. That can't be good. Erick grinned at him knowingly. Cain grumbled something and dropped the training swords. Then he saw Erick's eye go wide, and his mouth move to shout a warning. Instantly, Cain was ducking and spinning, turning to face the threat. Not him again It was the boy, Kerrin, charging at him with his sword- a real one- drawn. Time seemed to slow down. He heard Erick shout something that sounded like "Stand down", but If Kerrin heard it, he ignored it. Slashing with all his might, his aim seemed to be impaling Cain down to the hilt of the blade. Cain, however, had a different Idea. Grabbing Kerrin's wrist with one hand, he pulled him forwards, and with his other he palm struck Kerrin's chest, causing an audible 'whumpf' of escaping air. Kerrin collapsed to the ground, chest heaving in an attempt to gain air. Erick rush forward, taking the sword from The listless hands of the guard.
"I'm sorry M'lord, I believe he misunderstood the situation."
Cain's face was cold. "It's fine. If he wants fight, I can take him any day."
Kerrin look up at him with hate in his eyes.
"Come on boy, get to your feat. Try to stab me again, without your mighty mage to help you out."
Kerrin found the strength to snarl and rise to his feet, breath starting to return to him.
"You're going to pay for this cur."
"Kerrin! Do not speak to your lord in such a manner!" Erick barked. Cain motioned him to be silent.
"It was their choice to try me, boy. That choice is now up to you. Do you think you can do better then 33 men?"
Drawing a dagger from his boot, Kerrin charged, grinding out:
"I know I can. This time, He won't be here to heal you." You have no idea how fine that is with me.  Cain gave Kerrin a pitying smile. He had found something new during his fighting that Kerrin would be unable to counter. Without the heavy blades and chains, Cain was much, much faster. Without any swords at All, Cain felt he could shadow shift by his speed alone. When Kerrin got close enough, Cain simply went inside his guard and threw him into a nearby vendor cart. Hurriedly dusting off the debris, Kerrin charged again, and Again Cain simply grabbed him and threw him to the ground. Kerrin screamed in frustration, turning and rushing Cain once again. This time, before he could reach his opponent, Erick appeared between the two of them them, disarming Kerrin and grabbing him roughly.
"That's enough! You are a disgrace to the Adelian guard!" Kerrin stopped, staring at Erick in shock.
"Go to your quarters and wait for debriefing Solider! That's an order!"
Kerrin gazed down at the ground, cheeks red. Subtly, Cain observed him glance off to the side of the court, so be followed his gaze. well well, if it isn't the princess herself. He thought smugly  when his eyes fell on Ilana. After a moment of terse silence, Kerrin mumbled something to Erick and stalked off.
"I apologize M'lord, he was far out of line. He will be disciplined accordingly."
"It's fine Erick, let him test his mettle. He has skill, when he's got his head on straight. I think perhaps he was attempting to appear gallant for a certain mistress." Cain smirked and tilted his head in the princesses direction. Erick didn't look at all surprised.
"You know, M'lord, I wouldn't doubt it. Permission to take leave and tend to the rest of my men?" Several were groaning, getting to their feet and rubbing the various areas of their body where they had been struck.
"Permission granted Captain. I think I should be going anyways, It's a bad idea to keep a woman waiting." Cain winked, and Erick shook his head in mild amusement. Cain casually sauntered up to Ilana, greeting her as cordially as if nothing happened between them.
"Hello, darling, how are you this fine afternoon? Before you ask I'm doing-" he felt a wave of dizziness overtake him. Gods! I hate my life. "..fine" He finished as he fell into her, unconscious yet again.

*                                  *                                    *                                             *          

(( Note : This next part is a Joint Venture between Lyra and I, so as not to stray from the characters personality. I did –not- write all of this, the credit goes equally to Lyra and I. ))

Kerrin stood stock still heart, his heart nearly leaving his body. His mouth moved several times, but no words emerged. He merely sidled up to her, and gingerly, haltingly, put his hand on her shoulder. Finally, he managed in a low, wobbling voice "M'lady, are you.. alright?" immediately he cursed himself for being so dense. Of course she was not all right! but there was nothing he could do to change his words now...

Ilana looked up at the man at her side, only now noticing that it was one of her bodyguards. What was his name again? Her mind was all cloudy. Kerry or something, she finally decided. She studied him without really seeing him, her eyesight foggy from her recent tears. What was he doing here anyway? 'Err, sort of, I guess. But what are you doing here, Kerry?'

Kerrin felt his chance slipping away. He gazed into her clouded eyes as she spoke, almost missing her words because he was so caught by her look. Then she called him Kerry. He felt as if a gigantic war hammer had just smashed his hopes. He still had to try, though. Perhaps she was just poor with names. There was still a chance, however small.
"I, I came to check on you M'lady. I don't trust that Cain, I wanted to make sure that uhm..." His cheeks went beet red when he realised the implications of what he was saying ".. I uh, just wanted to make sure you were ok. It-It looks like something's really bothering you, do you, well, do you want to talk about it?" Kerrin added quickly, before she replied. "O-only if you want to, of course." He stood uncertainly, still drawn to her face, her eyes... so beautiful...

Ilana managed to clear her mind a bit, and focused again. She realised it was nice of him to check on her. He was still young, but already skilled in his job. 'It's okay, really. I appreciate your concern, truly, but I don't like talking about these kinds of things... Not with anyone, to be honest. But if I ever get the urge to talk about it anyway, I will come and look for you, okay?' Ilana wasn't sure why, but it felt like she was doing him a favour when she'd come to him instead of he doing her a favour.
Ilana realised his hand was still on her shoulder, and unwillingly she glanced at it. No... he can't be... he couldn't possibly...   Ilana swallowed.

Kerrin felt like an immense weight had been lifted from his shoulders... and then came crashing down again when she gazed at his hand. You fool! Why did you do that?!? he coughed uncomfortably and quickly removed his hand, trying to make it look like it was because he was checking something on his belt. "Uhm... is there anything I can get you? It is kinda my job to do what you tell me to.." He laughed nervously, shifted his feet and backing away slightly.

Ilana tried to smile. 'Thanks, but I'm ok for now... Very kind of you, but right now, I just want to be alone... I hope you understand, it's nothing to do with you.' It did have something to do with Kerry, Ilana had to admit. She felt somehow uncertain when he was around, because he was uncertain too. She was afraid she would hurt him somehow, and most of all, that he liked her too much. Quickly, Ilana shrugged the thought off. Other things to focus on now. Cain. She winced, and immediately hoped that Kerry hadn't noticed. She created a smile on her face and said: 'You fought well today. I saw you. Very impressive.'

The wince had worried him, but she said afterwards made Kerrin Beam. So she dosn't like him any more then I do He thought triumphantly. "Thankyou M'lady." He said proudly, "Anything for the honour of Adela." She had asked to be alone however, so with that in mind, Kerrin bowed once more and smiled, turning to go. Straight into the dresser. Can't I do anything right?!? He thought angrily to himself, and quickly made it the rest of the way to the door. As he was preparing to to close the door, he heard many sets of feet pounding down the hallway, and so he jumped back into Ilana's room to avoid injury. After most had gone by, he grabbed a young boy- a squire, by the look of him- and asked him: "Whats all this ruckus about?" The little boy, gasping for breath, answered " Sir, sir, It's that Cain person, they say he's fighting the entire guard regiment in the courtyard!" Kerrin dropped the boy, his eyes suddenly blazing. He turned to Ilana. "I'll be back M'lady, after I deal with this.. scum." After checking to make sure his sword was strapped tight, he was off, sprinting down the hallway to the courtyard below....

Ilana couldn't quite catch what the boy was saying, but Kerry said something about dealing with some scum. The way he said it made her think that he was talking about Cain, and noises penetrating the room did nothing to take them away. Immediately she ran after Kerry and the boy, still with a small hope that Cain would not be the cause of the disturbance down there. Dashing down the stairs and onto the courtyard, she instantly faced a cacophony of noises and bodies. What in the world... ?

When Kerrin Finally reached the conflict, only one guard was left standing. He's slain them all! Kerrin thought, his blood turning cold. His sword hissed as he drew it from it's sheath, and he began to weave through the crowds as quickly as he could. If I can finish him now, perhaps he'll be to far gone for Lloyd's hands by the time the healer arrives.  When he broke through the crowd, he saw that Cain's back was turned. He grinned in anticipation.  Kerrin ran as fast his legs would take him, sword straight out to lance through the heart. He dimly heard someone shouting, and cursed, knowing the element of surprise was at least partially gone. Somehow Cain turned, inhumanly quick, grabbing him and throwing him off balance while landing a powerful blow to his chest. The rest was a blur to Kerrin, consumed by his own bloodlust.

You are a disgrace to the Adelian Guard! Kerrin blinked, sense returning rapidly. He looked around, as if dazed, and the turned to look at the man holding him. Erick?!? His Captains face remained calm on the outside, but Kerrin saw the fury-and the disappointment- in his eyes. The one stung far more then the other. Then a flash of movement caught his eye, and he saw the princess at the edge of the circle. Oh no... not her... please.. please let her not have seen me shame washed through Kerrin, and he felt all his energy drain away.

"Sir, understood." He mumbled, and quickly made his way to his barracks, brushing past everyone without even raising his head.

Anonymous

Ilana pushed through the crowds after Kerrin, and was just in time to reach the first line op people to see Kerry bluntly charge at the back of no one less than Cain. Before she could stop herself a loud 'watch out!' escaped her mouth, and Cain had turned around before Kerry could plant his sword in his back. Ilana's heart sank as she watched Kerry's unfair battle against her ... 'fiancé' over the shoulder of the man standing in front of her. The guard had no way of beating Cain, first of all because Cain was a much better fighter and secondly because he obviously acted in a rage and a lot of frustration.

It was like watching a deer being chased by a leopard; being slaughtered was unavoidable for the deer, and for outsiders to watch it was like seeing a man approach his own doom without wanting to see it. Everybody knew what was going to happen. Ilana was more than glad when Erick, Captain of the Adelian Guard, intervened and sent him to the baracks. Finally, Ilana managed to push past the man standing in front of her, and caught a glimpse of Kerry's face when he noticed her. Immediately she knew she should have waited with her breakthrough in the ring, for shame now was all that was on his face.

Ilana felt the urge to go after him when he quickly turned away, but knew it was probably best to leave him for now and wait until the Captain had spoken to him. It was also something Cain said to the Captain that caught her attention and immediately washed away every intention of going after him. I think perhaps he was attempting to appear gallant for a certain mistress. Ilana sent him a look that could have killed him, if looks could kill, and that look only increased in strength as he added something about keeping a woman waiting and a Hello, darling, how are you this fine afternoon? as if nothing had happened. She was about to slap him in the face again when she saw his eyes roll backwards into his skull again and collapsed right on top of her. She wasn't able to withstand the sudden weight and together they fell on the floor, he unconscious, she on a rock that buried itself in the flesh of her hip.

An hour later, Ilana's hip was taken care of and was brought to the room she and Cain were supposed to share. Where Cain was, she had no idea of. They'd taken him away from her when she fell, supposedly to take care of him too.

Lloyd stood next to the bed like a rock; his arms folded over each other and not for a second averting his attention from the man on it. They were in need of a serious conversation.

'Feeling better, my jumpy friend?' he asked oddly cynical for his doing when Cain woke up.

Anonymous

Kerrin hurriedly shut the door behind him as he entered the barracks, relieved that all the other guards were not present, either on guard duty or still recovering from their recent bout with Cain. Cain... what a disgusting piece of filth. Kerrin thought acidly, discharging the welling anger by slamming his fist into the harsh stone wall. He gazed dispassionately at his cracked and bleeding knuckles, not caring anymore what happened to his own body.

A voice broke into his angry musings, causing Kerrin to jump. He had not heard anyone enter the room, and none had occupied it on his arrival.

"You're right you know. He -is- filth. Dirty, unwanted, unneeded filth. You had -every- right to challenge him." The voice was masculine, and cloying, bearing the slightest trace of patronization.

"Who's there? What do you want? Wh-Who are you?" Kerrin asked guardedly as he braced himself against the wall, sorely missing the presence of his weapon.

"Me? Oh, I'm no-one important. A mere servant-a watcher if you will- You need not concern yourself with me, what we're talking about is you, and Cain." The man was leaning against the opposite wall, and from his neckline to his feet he wore armor the color of granite. His face bore the handsomeness of a predator, regarded as alluring because of it's cunning, and power. His jet black hair matched the obsidian shade of his pupils, the latter of the two glittering from the shadows they were cast in.

Kerrin's blood once again began to boil at the mention of Cain. For a moment he was lost in his own dark thoughts, before his suspicion resurfaced at this strange intruder.
"Don't try to change the subject! How did you infiltrate the grounds? And -who- are you?"

The Stranger threw back his head and laughed. "My, you are persistent aren't you. Very well, I will answer a few of your questions, provided you will listen to my proposal. Fair is fair, yes? Alright then. I didn't 'Infiltrate' the grounds. I merely walked in, and I can walk out whenever I please." Kerrin stirred, but the man continued. "As for my name, you may call me...Melanthios."

"As for my offer," Melanthios smiled thinly. "You don't bear much love for Cain. Neither do I, but I cannot get involved. You can. I can teach you how to best him."

Kerrin's eyes narrowed. "What do you get out of this?"

Melanthios wagged his finger at the suspicious guard. "Why so serious? I merely wish to see Cain removed from Adela, just like you. That is it's own reward. Think on my offer Kerrin, we shall talk soon."

Kerrin began to ask just where Melanthios thought he was going, but just then the door opened, and a very displeased Capitan Erick entered. When Kerrin looked back to the place where the mysterious visitor had been, there was naught but a wall.

"I am –very- unhappy about what just went on out there." Erick said. When Kerrin didn't turn from the wall he seemed to be examining in great detail, Erick asked sharply:
"Are you listening to me soldier?"

Kerrin jumped, realizing Erick was, of course, talking to him. "Sir, Yes Sir. I'm sorry sir... just... thinking."

Erick sighed, coming to stand beside Kerrin. "You're going to have a lot more time to think for awhile now. I'm suspending you from duty pending a reevaluation of your skills."

Rage instantly roiled up inside Kerrin, but he bit his tongue, merely acknowledging the stiff reprimand with a nod. Erick turned to leave, but stopped midway, and warned Kerrin:

"If you ever speak to our Prince to be like that again, you won't be wearing the proud insignia of Adela on your shoulder for much longer."

All the anger he had finally managed to contain spilled over, and Kerrin strode over to Erick, shouting incredulously; "With all do –respect- Sir, Why the hell are you defending that swine?!? He's nothing but..." Melanthios words rose to the surface of Kerrin's mind, and soon found their place on his tongue "filth. Dirty, unwanted, unneeded-"

*smack!*

The echo of Erick's swift hand filled the sudden silence. "If you ever. EVER speak that way again, you will have no place in this kingdom. I don't care if he was a grub eating giant slug, He is the man who M'lady's hand will belong to, whom she has chosen. I give you this one, final, chance. After this moment, if you so much as malign his choice of footwear-I will personally strip you of your rank and exile you from this castle. Is that understood, guardsman?"  Erick enunciated each word with crystal clarity, the cold fury spilling from his eyes.

Kerrin glared back, too proud and too angered to feel any repentance. "Clear as a cloudless day, Capitan|"  He whispered in return.

Erick held his gaze for a moment more, and then left, saying as he walked away.
"Good. Consider yourself limited to the barrack and the kitchen until further notice."

Kerrin stood for a few moments in silence, staring at the closed door defiantly. "Ok Melanthios, I'll take the deal." He said into the silence, wondering if the intruder was even there still. He soon had his question answered. A smooth voice soon answered from behind him.
"I knew you'd see it my way." Melanthios chuckled softly. This was going to be a productive day.

*                                  *                                                   *                                                              

The smell was disgusting. Burnt flesh, charred bone, smoldering linen and iron. But that was not what woke him. The pain was excruciating, with the loose gravel finding its way into many of his open wounds. Worse then the stones though, were the bugs. Crawling over every inch of his torn body, he would have cried out in pain if he had an once of energy left to speak. The pain was not what woke him either, he could sleep through pain. It was the sound. The sound of approaching footsteps brought his tortured senses into focus, and his ears strained to determine if they were coming near to him specifically. After a few moments of agonizing strain, he blacked out again, unable to sustain the effort. He woke in what was likely only a few moments later. Now on his back, his dried, cracked eyes fed him the blurry image of a man in white robes, bending over his decaying body, muttering half incoherently.

"... what a mess..... how in the hells did you do –that-?"

Cain managed a groan that ended up sounding more like a whisper before blacking out again, this time waking up in a much repaired state, several paces away from the battlefield.

"Your up, finally. Do you have any idea how long I've waited to meet you?"

Gazing up in slight confusion, still acclimating to his repaired senses, Cain looked through bleary eyes at his rescuer.

"Most people don't consider meeting me a high point in their lives." Cain quipped groggily, rising to his feet. "Thanks for the healing... I've got money if you want it, otherwise I'll be off... I don't really have a great need for a fan club."

The hooded figure grabbed hold of Cain's arm. "Surely you don't mean to leave so soon, I've spent the better part of ten years looking for you!"

Cain snapped his heard over to try and gaze under the cowl. "Ten years? Are you from the military? Look, that was a long time ago, why can't we just keep this quiet and go our separate ways..."

"Oh no Cain, I'm not from the military. In fact," The man lifted his hood to reveal a face that was almost a mirror image of Cain, albeit an older, blue-eyed, blond haired Cain. "I'm rather hurt, you'd think a man would recognize his last living relative. Hello, Brother."

Cain woke with a start, shuddering as the nightmare reluctantly relinquished its' grip on his mind. Covering his face with his hands, he silently cursed in his mind. I hate that little white robed shunfa. He groaned, rolling on his side and promising himself that the next time he saw Lloyd, there were going to have a serious talk.

'Feeling better, my jumpy friend?'

Cain opened his eyes, glaring at Lloyd as if he were an especially obtrusive insect.

"Speak of the goblin..." He muttered, moving to a sitting position. "No, actually, I feel like Dragon dung at the moment, and I'd appreciate it if you got your wrinkled rear out of my sight, it's blocking my view of the wall."

When Lloyd did not budge, Cain threw himself down against the bed. "Fine. You want to talk, we can talk. I've been meaning to give you a piece of my mind anyway." Actually, that would be quite useful. Just give him my memories, so I don't have to deal with all this dredge every time I'm healed.

"Go ahead, say what you want to say relic, your not getting any younger old man."