Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Last Terra Scroll: Baptism of Fire

Started by Lion, September 11, 2008, 12:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

ooc: *thought they were in the forest* Juno a bit confused on location...but I like the idea of someone else trying to find it too, definitely makes for a more interesting plot. *pokes Icarus* I have found my worrying soulmate. xD

Lion

[Description of Draconi Forest: The forested land in which Adela lies.

They are still in the forest.=P]

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

ooc: But your little square was southeast of the words on the map! Dx

Lion

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

[OOC: Yes, you're revised location is much better! ;-) Of course I say this primarily because it better fits the location described in my post and I'm too lazy to correct the post unless I have to... but anyhow.

A small side note: From what research I've done on SotE website it sounds like Lion is essentially correct: virtually all of Adela is forested. So the northern part we're in could perhaps be referred to as the Northern Draconi Forest, were we to break it down into smaller subsections.

Also excited about your spiffy sounding plot! *starts hopping up and down clapping.* I could certainly have more than a bit of fun with this whichever way we end up going.

Anyhow, thanks for all the discussion, it's helped me considerably. (Accept that now I don't have as much to worry over! *sniffing, starts crying on Juno's shoulder...*)]

Anonymous

ooc: Oh well... =x Sowwy, didn't realize that. >_< Eh *shuffles away*

Lion

"It is an honor to make all of your acquaintances well.  I'd certainly like to get moving as soon as possible; whether or not the coming storm will allow us to reach shelter in time is irrelevant.  The air does not seem to convey that the storm will arrive in the next few hours, but we shall see."  Cassa smiled and moved toward the edge of the clearing, observing the direction Crysha had indicated was east.  The woodland was thick with plant life and a lone traveler who took time from the roads would more than likely get lost if he didn't know this land well.  Cassa may as well have been this traveler for all her knowledge of the geographic terrain of Le'ranna outside the Zantaric.  To the naked eye, the forest seemed a single direction all round but those attuned to the energies of the life around them like Cassa was would surely sense if they were to be headed in the right direction.  Instead of relying on what resided before her eyes, she reached out with her perceptions and felt certain warmth in the indicated direction.  Warmth meant heat and heat meant fire.  The scroll must be in this direction.  Maybe the shift in the air brought the energy of the scroll flowing her way.  The Mana was a strange thing to attempt to understand and yet even Templars knew that such happenings as a change in weather was nothing to attribute to luck.  True coincidences were rare and luck was ever rarer.

"Yes," she nodded again and placed her sword into her hilt.  She turned back to the others.  "This seems to be the right way.  The fact that this will be a perilous journey is not lost on me.  And believe me when I say that I do not wish to place either one of you in harm's way; you choose to come of your own volition.  I suppose the safest route would more than likely be the one you know, Crysha.  But time is of the essence.  I suppose the best way would be to reach the Terrin Mts. first then to head north to the river.  I'm sure as I travel I shall become all the more acquainted with the land.  We should follow where the Mana leads us."

She nodded to them both as an indication that she was prepared to travel.  But as she turned back to the direction to travel, she felt a strange presence of eyes on her.  She whirled about here and there, her eyes whisking back and forth the figure she sought.  Seeing only her new companions she reached out once more and found nothing but the trees about her and a few animals doing their business.  "Hm, we...should be on our way now."  Recollecting her wits, she gazed up at the sky, the rolling of clouds high on the horizon.  "We should find shelter as soon as possible.  The storm will not wait for us."

[I suppose the immediate action will now take us to a town.  Icarus, with Crysha as the prescribed guide, you can now take the reigns to name a nearby village if you'd like in which they will stay and gather supplies.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

[OOC: OK, sorry, I know it's not my turn to post. I just wanted to make sure we're still on the same page. Based on our assumed location West of Ketra, I tried to chart the path Cassa described: "I suppose the best way would be to reach the Terrin Mts. first then to head north to the river."

At first this seemed contradictory, but then I thought about it more closely and I saw what you were saying. If we assume we are not very far East of the Terrin Mts we could travel briefly South, hit the edge of the mountains, then veer Northeast and in so doing avoid Ketra and still travel a reasonably Eastern course. (It makes more sense if you look at the map below. Assume the red line to be a hypothetical road which follows the mountains South to Crysha's home, assume the red dot to be the nearest town, and the blue dotted line to be their proposed course.)

I'm going to assume this is the general plan in my next post unless you tell me otherwise.]

Lion

[Whoa!  It's like you read my mind.  That's the plan.  You are free to commence]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

[OOC: OK so based on the ooc messages on Lion's last two posts- and the fact that it's been over two days since anyone posted in character and you're both normally so good at posting frequently- I'm assuming then that you're waiting on me. *blinded by the light clicking on above my head* My apologies, I would have posted sooner had I realized. On the off chance I'm misinterpreting the situation please don't kill me I'm not trying to skip your turn Juno. OK, so now to get on with the action...]

After quickly putting her pack in order and slinging it over her shoulder, Crysha thought she noticed Cassa looking quite intently on their surroundings. Her head cocked slightly in curiosity, but the other woman only indicated they should get underway and Crysha soon put it out of her mind.

"I remember a village South of here," she mentioned as they started off. "I believe it was called 'Pinegrove.' It was fairly small, but it will supply the basic necessities. It might prove a good place from which to turn East into the deeper woods as you advised."

The course Cassa had proposed would notably avoid the bustling city of Ketra. While she had not at first considered this course, she immediately liked it. Crowded places simply meant more prying eyes and attention was not something she liked. A thought crossed her mind that perhaps it was not something Cassa liked either, at least on this trip.

That it would lead them through the very heart of the Draconi forest, by a road Crysha was not as familiar with, did create some worry in the back of her mind. However, that was another day's concern. Being in the presence of an armor-clad warrior seemed to make all dangers seem farther away. It reminded her of traveling with her friend and mentor as he guided her through the mountains near her home. He had been a father to her in ways her real father had not been able. A frown crept across her face as she wondered what he thought of her so flippantly abandoning her training. Did he think of her at all? Will I ever meet someone like him again, or have I thrown away a chance that will never come again?

The fall weather, being somewhat indecisive as is its nature, continued to threaten them with approaching ominous clouds and the sun had failed to banish the chill from the air. The activity of travel warmed her somewhat, but Crysha pulled her cloak more tightly about her none the less.

As the time passed the scenery transitioned once more into evergreen forests, and the group could start to feel pine needles beneath their boots. To the West, the Terrin Mountains towered like silent sentinels watching with disinterest the activities of the small scurrying creatures beneath them. Trees flourished on their sides under great spires of rock, the peaks proudly displaying the year's first snowfalls.

Not for the first time, she was reminded of why she loved to travel. My people once lived in those mountains, she thought wistfully. If only I had been old enough then to remember more of those days. Why did my mother turn her back on her people, on everything she had been? Her thoughts made the air seem colder, and the forest seem too quiet.

So far none of the three travelers had seemed anxious to talk about themselves or their past, and being that Crysha shared that particular desire she decided to turn to more abstract subject matter to break the silence.

"A friend -well teacher really- once told me that there is only one true 'energy,' and that everything we see is a different form or expression of this greater energy. Do you suppose that's true?"

Anonymous

ooc: I found the name of the river, it's called the Ora River.

Lion

[Careful guys, don't get out of order.  I've been here for a while but even I get confused sometimes.  Juno, get off thy lazy arse and post!  Or Icarus, if it's okay with you, I'll just ahead after Juno, then she'll post again then me, you, and so on; this way none of us gets puzzuzzled.

And yes I wrote 'puzzuzzled' on purpose. *crickets in the audience* *awkward*  Geez, tough crowd]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

[OOC: My bad, shouldn't have thrown off our groove. I'm afraid I didn't do too well on the not getting puzzuzzled thing. My tendency to post after midnight tends to reduce my comprehension level to embarrassingly low levels. I was previously posting after Juno. If I understood what you're saying right (and I'm not sure I did,) then you're saying I should now follow you instead of Juno, and also that I should post not following your next post but your next post after that, is that right? (You can just say yes to make me feel better if you want... ;-)

*grabs jumper cables, tries to jump-start brain without success*]

Lion

[Alright, I believe this is the simpler way.  I'll post now and we'll just go in our normal order as we did before our plot discussion that got us all mixed up.]

The heavy pauldrons upon her shoulder gave Cassa's own lean form a bulking exaggeration to her natural size.  But the armor was necessary for a traveling warrior, and a Templar at that.  Her armor was more than what it outwardly showed but was a symbol and representation of her inner self.  It was said for ages past that creativity revealed the true passions of the heart of man and the Templars were no fools to disregard this bit of advice.  Crafting one's own blade and armor went beyond practical reasons.  The armor represented the passion and inspiration in her own life, her desire to achieve status once again for her family name, to prove her worth by successfully returning the Fire Scroll, and all the dedication she put forth toward her faith.  Perhaps belief in the Mana was not a faith per se, for one didn't have to believe in it at all for it to exist; as it was with all religions and cults.  But to create the armor and weapon like the one she carried, one had to be in tune with the personal energy of each component that went into the crafting of the items.  As her understanding of the Mana grew, the stronger her armor and weapon would become.

But she cast out with her senses to detect any creatures or being in the immediate area that might be a danger to her and her new companions.  She knew that taking them along with her would put their lives at risk and now that they had agreed to aid her in her journey, she was responsible for them.  It was amazing how much experience one might gain in a single day.  Perhaps there were more equally invigorating experiences in her future.  That remained to be seen; after all, the future was a tricky thing to predict and Templars didn't use the Mana for precognition.

She refrained from conversation, as much as she knew that articulation would most likely be the best method to understanding her companions.  Opening her mouth to speak, she silently thanked the Ulrician for taking that burden from her.

After a moment of harkening her words, she furrowed her brows a little before grinning wryly.  She understood her meaning and replied, "Indeed.  Your teacher was wise, Crysha.  But, as with most things, there's more to this 'energy' than what your mentor educated you upon.  I have a certain understanding of this concept.  Perhaps, when the time is right, I can share more with you.  If you would like to, of course."

She turned to glance at the shorter form of Natajia.  "And you, too, if you would like to know as well.  Doing so will award the both of you the opportunity to better understand my purpose."

"What else did your mentor teach you?  What, or rather who was he?  Do you know where he learned such things?"

[now take your turn, Juno.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

As the other women conversed, Natajia continued to let her mind roam free as she thought about what she might see on their journey. She'd read of some of the rare and unusual plants that made their residence farther north and now was eager to see them up close and study the real thing, no longer a sketch. She saw this as her chance to get away from home to continue educating herself with her own observations, to deepen her understanding of the different ways in which certain parts of the numerous species of flora might be used. Her thoughts were interrupted by the mentioning of a storm, however, causing her to open her eyes and look to the skies.

Indeed, the ominous clouds that drew near their location were obviously storm clouds and Nat didn't like the idea of getting caught in the rain with her only equipment in the bag at her shoulder. Quickly, she checked and double checked that her precious and essential items for recording her findings were contained within and, once satisfied, she closed and secured it tightly for the sake of preserving anything she could if they got caught outside when the clouds finally unleashed their massive stores of water. Standing up straight and adjusting the strap at her shoulder, the girl looked expectantly to the Cassa and Crysha, hoping they could get moving soon and, when the warrior suggested it, she gladly got moving as she fell into step with the group.

After a time of silence among the party, Crysha spoke up. She was talking about the 'energy' that had been mentioned before, which drew her interest and thus she took to her habit of further silence as she listened to the two speak. Again, though, her plan was foiled as Cassa looked her way and addressed her in speech as well. Although her main personal goal to be accomplished by travel was to gain further knowledge for herself and her purpose, Nat felt that it couldn't hurt to become familiar with the 'energy' that she spoke of if it would help her be of some use to the group as a whole since they, essentially, were doing her a favor by taking her with them.

Then, the warrior turned and addressed the wolf-eared woman again. Eyeing her, the girl cursed herself for not becoming more familiar with the races of the world and vowed to do such when the opportunity next presented itself. But now, she studied the pair of ears and tail that Crysha possessed as she awaited to hear what would be said next, having no shame in staring.

Anonymous

A silence passed over the conversation, one which she found quite uncomfortable, as Crysha considered her answer. Her intention had been to steer the conversation to more philosophical topics and the unexpected question about her old friend and mentor had struck a little close to home.

She was further distracted from her answer by the unshakable feeling of eyes focused on her. She turned her head to the side briefly in what she hoped appeared as a casual gesture, and in so doing confirmed her feeling. The young woman Natajia was clearly either curious or fascinated by her Ulric appearance. Having lived as she was all her life she was used to attracting stares from others, but had never really gotten comfortable with it.

Just as it always had in her youth, the attention made her feel suddenly self-conscious. Her furry brown tail twitched from side to side in an unconscious expression of her discomfort. She had always especially disliked that habit. The feline gesture on her wolfish body made her feel even more like some sort of unnatural cross-breed. As soon as she realized it was happening she forced her misbehaving tail to cease, bringing it to rest once more under her cloak where it was not as noticeable. With effort she squelched a long-embedded instinct to pull her hood over her head as a way of hiding her matching brown wolf-ears. While they may have granted her the gift of unmatched hearing they had also been an unmistakable mark of just how different she was from the full humans she had grown up around. Just large and pointy enough that her dark hair would never completely hide them.

It was not until that moment that it struck her how her other companion, Cassa, seemed notably unperturbed by her appearance. She either hides her emotions perfectly, or she knew of the Ulric before she ever met me. The thought occurred to her to inquire on the matter, but she was just as happy that the woman did not seem to treat her as different, so she let the matter lie instead.

Realizing the delay in her response was becoming obvious she forced a friendly smile. "I don't really know much about him to be honest. He gave his name simply as 'Ghee,' and the one time I asked where he came from he said 'far away.'" She returned to gazing at the hillsides as she finished, her eyes focusing on something distant. "I suppose at the time I didn't really care that much. He was kind and took me in when I was more lost than I had ever been. He taught me what I know of meditation, and often we would go walking in the woods and he would talk about 'energy' and its different forms. He had more to teach me but I... I just felt like I couldn't stay anymore." She was unable to keep the dull ache in her heart from seeping into her voice a little at the memory.

A part of her wanted to appease the curiosity of the others about her, but she felt inadequate to the task. She knew relatively little of her own Ulric heritage, and in her past lay many regrets she did not enjoy talking about.

"I enjoyed those walks so very much." Her voice regained some of its normal upbeat spirit as she instinctively grabbed hold of the nearest happy memory. "I always felt as though there was a purpose to everything. Even me."

The storm, for its part, was creeping ever closer as their journey progressed, and the wind gusts seemed to delight in throwing her hair across her face and eyes.  Her cloak could withstand a bit of wind and rain if needed, but the storm would certainly make finding dry tinder and wood for campfires more difficult. Silently she hoped the small town she remembered was not far ahead, even as she knew it was unrealistic to expect to make it there before the sun was set.

Lion

Templars were trained to be perceptive to the world around them, from surroundings to the beings that lived in it.  And calculating ones emotions was something Cassa had also received a fair amount of training in.  She felt she had articulated a harmless question and, in turn, assumed that such would have no significant effect on her companions.  Yet the emotion she perceived from Crysha as she answered, however faint, were of both a storm at bay and volcano that lay dormant for far too long.

As the Ulrician answered, voice strange to the Templar's ears, Cassa merely nodded waited until she was finished.  Despite having spent so many years away from the workings of society, she was well aware not to prick at old wounds.  From what she understood of the Mana, emotions could affect one's own Mana and, depending on how tumultuous the emotions, that energy could manifest in a dangerous fashion.  This was why it was vital that a Templar keep their emotions in check at all times, keeping unnecessary feelings at bay to better clear the mind.

Cassa offered an understanding grin to her wolfish friend.  "I have to agree with you.  For all the things within the energy of life, all have a purpose.  Otherwise, why exist?"  Cassa then turned to Natajia.  "You have been silent for most of the walk. Have you nothing to say?"

[So...so...horribly short...  *sniffle*  Sorry guys for taking so long.  But I got sick and concentrating on a post kinda makes my brain hurt. *beats self*.  I'll try to keep up from now on.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Natajia caught the glance from the object her curiosity was currently focused upon, the woman Crysha. Being as she is, though, the girl thought nothing of it, saw naught of the expressed discomfort. Instead, she continued her observations for a few moments more before finally moving her gaze from her, turning instead to the foliage surrounding the path, ever watching for a new sight. It was as she did this that she lost herself in a mess of thoughts again, remaining silent as she reflected on the circumstances that brought her this prospect as she listened to the two women converse.

She did not hear the strain in Crysha's voice, did not see the empathic expression on Cassa's face. All was lost to her except words and, suddenly, a certain phrase did not seem to fit well with what had been the topic of discussion for the two women. She contemplated why the sudden change had occurred and raised her head to find Cassa's attention focused on her. Alarmed by this, she frantically backtracked through her memory, searching for what had been said only a short time prior. The beginnings of a smile tugged at the corners of her lips as she lowered her gaze to the ground as she walked onward. "I'm not used to having others around me, I usually do my work alone and my work consumes the majority of my day. I was listening, but I suppose I just didn't have much to say, is all. Curious about the two of you...but should I have been speaking?"

ooc: Ick...another crap post, but no worries, Lion. I hope you feel better soon, if you're still sick, and take care of yourself. =) If not, welcome back!

Anonymous

Crysha walked on saying nothing further for the moment, her mind lost in thoughts spawned by her brief exchange of words with Cassa. She noted gratefully the woman had not pressed her concerning matters of her past.

With effort she pushed aside her darker thoughts. After all she was on an adventure, seeing new places. She could almost hear her father's voice in her head. What may lie around the next tree? Or the next bend? Out here life has so many twists and turns, we could end up anywhere. He had been quite the adventurer himself once, she recalled, though she was very young at the time.

The exchange of her companions brought her back to the present. Her lips curved up on one side in half of a smile as she noted with some amusement that Natajia seemed even better at avoiding questions than she herself was.

"Well I wouldn't think of it as an obligation," she replied, "but my father used to say you aught to talk once in a while, if only to make sure your mouth still works." Her smile quickly faded. "Of course I always thought he sounded more than a little silly when he said that. In fact I made myself promise I'd never say that when I was older. So much for that one."

She cleared her throat softly and regrouped. "So what is it you do, may I ask? I notice you seem very interested in the plant life."

[OOC: Wow, guess it was my turn to be a little out of it there. Almost a week for such a short post...  :oops: My bad, sorry. Well hopefully we've all got it out of our systems and the posts can resume in full fury! *dramatic trumpets playing*  ...Err, well anyhow... Hope you're feeling better Lion! Sorry to hear about the sniffles, being sick is never any fun.]

Lion

[*headdesk* BAH!  I've been a bad rp partner.  I'm better now, still alive with only half the sniffles but I still don't think that's an excuse to not post.  I'm sorry guys.  I'll try to get a post up within the next couple of days, promise!]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn