Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Last Terra Scroll: Baptism of Fire

Started by Lion, September 11, 2008, 12:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Already the storm broiling overhead was starting to release faint if not just barely imperceptible droplets of rain upon the three adventurers.  The microscopic sparkles of energy tingled vaguely at Cassa's senses and invigorated her further.  Oh what wonders could be performed with the energies of life.  It was said that a skilled Templar was capable of more than just casting certain elements from their hands or utilizing a force push, but was able to absorb the Mana of the life surrounding them to sustain their bodies for long journeys.  With this technique, along with the adequate meditation, one could stay awake for days, weeks, or even months on end.

For a moment, Cassa wondered if, after this journey was over, Master Kralo would be willing to teach her such a technique.  If she proved worthy, the Council would have to send her on more excursions and she would definitely need to sustain her energy.  That's where the sustenance technique came into play.

For all the time of conversation she did before, she now found it was her turn to listen.  And she did so with an interest as keen as her sword.  As she listened, she nodded here and there in understanding as the subject ensued.

But even as she did so, there was a persistent itching at the back of her mind, as if something—or someone—was watching her every move.  The thought raised the hairs on the back of her neck but she maintained her sentience nonetheless.  It would not do to needlessly raise the alarm of her companions if whatever it was turned out to be nothing more than a curious squirrel.  She merely plastered a calm smile on her face and turned her eyes down their treading path.  Still, she couldn't say it didn't perturb her to know that, as she reached out with her senses, the source of vigilance still managed to evade detection.

Cassa forced the worry from her mind in a single, soothing breath.  There were more important things at hand as she quickly gazed to the clouds that threatened above their heads.  They had to find shelter soon lest they be caught in a dangerous tempest.

[*bows in worship* I apologize to thee, further.  Last week was quite the busy week for me with the horrors of school life and all that jazz.  Anyway, I suppose it's only logical that the scene be forwarded to where they reach the nearest town just as they get caught in the beginnings of the storm.]

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

A genuine grin spread across Natajia's features as she listened to Crysha speak, giving a soft laugh at the mentioning of the promise to herself that she'd just broken. She allowed her eyes to glance to Cassa for a moment, though, watching the woman as she wondered what might be on her mind. Her attention was drawn back to the wolf-eared woman when a question was directed towards her, though, wanting to be polite since she had been talking with her. The question was one that was probably considered one of the easiest things to speak about, her interest in the foliage having been noted by another in the group.

Glad for the chance to speak of her what she did, the girl readily flung herself into explanation. "The plants themselves are the core of my work, I'm a herbalist. Not only that, though, I take a keen interest in general research and I gather information on a range of species found in the area for my own notes. I do my own experiments as well; I take joy in perfecting my art on my own rather than take the word of another."

Natajia was content with discussing her work, finding it was one of the topics she was most comfortable with. Still, her habits boiled to the surface and she looked to Crysha again after falling silent for a short time. "What made you decide to begin your travels, Crysha?" she asked, tone holding no hostility, rather genuine curiosity, as her footfalls brought her ever closer to the shelter they sought as a unit.

ooc: Geez, I'm sorry it took me a bit guys. >_< I've been busy lately but I'm off for the holidays now so I'll be around more often. =)

Anonymous

[OOC: Wohoo! It only took us 19 days but we're all posting again! I was seriously worried this thread was dying out there for a bit. Seems like we all got buried with work or sick at the same time. Anyhow, I just wanted to say great to be journeying with you both again and thanks for not giving up on me!]

Crysha listened attentively as the other spoke of her work. It had not failed to cross her mind that if they were to trudge through the heart of the Draconi a strong knowledge of plants and herbs could come in handy.

She turned back toward the scenery when the next question was directed toward her, trying to hide a frown. Her ears flattened ever so slightly, giving subtle expression to her inner discomfort. "I can't explain it really. My whole life I've always felt there's something missing; like I was a piece to a puzzle that just never fit anywhere. One day I just decided I couldn't stay anymore. Sometimes I think the only times when I'm really happy are when I'm on a journey, neither here nor there."

Her usually upbeat nature once more battled with the darker clouds that had passed over her spirit since leaving on her journey. Again she banished the darkness, focusing instead on nature's rather impressive bit of artwork to the West. The clouds obscured the tops of the mountains, and the rain hid many of their lower parts behind misty curtains. The whole scene was lit dramatically, rainbows and all, by the rays of the sun as it peaked out between the clouds.

Unfortunately, as beautiful as the scene might have been, the weather was getting uncomfortably close. Those clouds could not be so easily banished as the ones in her thoughts, and as if on cue they let fall a few warning drops of rain.

[OOC: OK, skipping ahead now as you said to forward to our arrival in town. Hope I'm not overstepping here.]

Unconsciously she picked up her pace, but even so by the time the group arrived at the humble town of Pinegrove a short while later, the storm had decided to unleash its fury.

The town wasn't much, just a collection of somewhat plain wooden buildings snuggled up against the foothills of the mountains. She had heard that miners had once used it as a recluse when the weather drove them down from the heights, but in recent times it had become more of a stopover for travelers such as themselves. It hosted an unexciting but adequate collection of shops on its main boulevard, along with a limited selection of lodging and a combination bar and eatery that was currently drawing the closest thing to a crowd this town seemed to know.

Crysha was grateful that the weather at least provided her an excuse to pull her hood over her head. Her robes, with the hood on, concealed her appearance well enough to avoid the pesky stares that her Ulric attributes otherwise tended to attract.

Silently she hoped the weather would break before too long. Their brief detour southward was short indeed when compared to the the journey across the Draconi forest that awaited them. "What do you think?" she turned toward her companions. "I don't know about you two, but I haven't had a warm meal in a couple days."

Lion

[Sorry for the delay.  Christmas stuff...y'know the drill]

The feeling of eyes was quick to vanish with the falling of the evening rain.  Cassa fought to control her heart rate as she reached back and yanked the hood of her cloak over her head.  The rain now assailed the three travelers with a barrage of merciless bullets as the mining town of Pinegrove came into view.  One couldn't expect to see much in this hole in the Earth but for one as sheltered as Cassa was it was as if a divine was being presented before her naked eyes; she didn't really get out much.  Still, she was wont to make the best of new experiences and therefore the encompassed look of awe that engorged her façade was to be expected.

A smile spread across her face as she took in the sights.  All about her the energy of the villagers, the tourists (well, the few aside from them), and the general activity of the town invigorated her.  There was a certain buzz here.  It was faint but still present; everywhere there was something to do: From the man who carted dry goods in a wooden wheelbarrow to the woman dragging her two tots behind her and even the young black-haired man who occupied himself by smoking a cigarette.  There didn't seem to be anyone who wasn't doing something and the overall activity gave her senses something of a vague high.

While she knew that her companions and she wouldn't be spending a multitude of suns here, she knew she would learn much from the day or so they would stay to obtain supplies for their travels.  In the corner of her mind was the nagging knowledge of reaching the Fire Scroll first, however, the circumstances at hand would allow for little immediate action.  Besides, who in their collective sanity would desire to venture out into the storm that thrashed overhead?

Cassa calmed herself from the tingling whispers of dread still lingering in her head as she paused for a moment, unsure as to where they would go next.  The cloud's tears pelted relentlessly for the minute or so as she looked about.  Of course she didn't plan on staying out here forever.  "You're right about that.  It's best find accommodations as soon as possible," she said smoothly as she confidently led them to a tall but obliquely shaped building known only as the Pick's Nightcap.

She didn't know what she expected to find within the but the congenial grin of a plump, elderly man at the front desk as he asked, "Well, hello there strangers!  Welcome to the Nightcap.  What can I do ya fer?  A drink?  A room?  A hot meal?  With all the rain's a-pourin' down, you gotta be needin' a meal.  Now, tell me, how can ol' Jacobi help ya, t'night?" was enough to reassure her faith that the Mana had led her o the right location.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

As the rain began to fall it was quite obvious to Natajia that she was going to get wet. She didn't make a fuss over it, though, when she realized that they were getting very close to the town that was their destination. As they emerged from the thick forest she angled her head down so that the drops wouldn't hit her face and stayed with the general direction of her companions. Glimpsing at each she found that Crysha appeared uninterested in anything besides their goal of shelter while Cassa looked a bit in awe, which she found interesting. Studying the two women for a moment before allowing her gaze to drift and look to the different buildings and people that they passed, the girl felt relieved when they finally slowed and made their way inside at last.

Grateful to be dry and not feel the sharp flicks that the rain droplets left on her skin, she looked up. The man that sat at the desk addressed them and Natajia gladly stepped forward to the front to answer him. "Yes, please. We'll take the largest room you have, sir," she said, her eyes filled with warning that she wouldn't stand for it if they were stiffed. Reaching into her bag for her coin purse, she pulled out the money that would be owed for such a room that night and then looked over her shoulder at her companions. Feeling as if they were doing her a favor allowing her to come, she reached into the little bag again, pulled out a few more coins and placed them on top of the money she'd already put on the desk for the man. "Three meals as well, please," she added, hoping the two women would let her pay without a fuss.

At the moment it didn't occur to her that her companions might not want to stay in the same room. However, she did think of this as she was ascending the stairs, key in hand. Perhaps they'd prefer separate rooms...but don't we all need to talk? Maybe we will, since we'll be traveling together and all... When she found the correct door, Natajia unlocked the door and pushed it open to reveal a decently sized room with what could be considered as comfortable furnishings for a traveler. She was grateful that the place was not a disaster and stepped in with a smile on her face to set her bag down on a table.

ooc: :wink: You see no time gap, it doesn't exist!

Anonymous

The storm continued its raging outside the quaint but cozy inn where the group had taken shelter for the time being. It beat uselessly against the windows and roof but was clearly unable to dampen the spirits of Crysha's two companions, both of whom seemed to be fascinated with the whole experience.

"Why can I not feel as they do?" She thought to herself as the kind man behind the desk offered them an encouragingly warm greeting. "How have I come to have such a distaste for cities and people?"

She was drawn out of her reverie abruptly as the thought struck her that they would have to pay for their lodging. Her hand moved to cradle her small purse of money strung around her neck and concealed beneath her cloak. It felt all too light. She resisted the urge to calculate just how few stops such as this she would be able to afford. Her face contorted ever so slightly in nervous indecision as she considered what she should do.

However before she could decide just how to handle this situation Natajia, in a surprising move for the normally reserved young woman, stepped forward and swiftly negotiated their place in what was promised to be the largest room in the house. The sudden confidence, almost exuberance, she displayed cleanly wiped any expression other than surprise from Crysha's face.

Crysha gratefully noted the additional coins insuring them all a warm meal as her stomach reminded her that breakfast had in fact been quite a few hours back. She followed the others to their room, gradually warming to the idea of waiting out the storm at Pinewood. Upon entering their room, she considered that perhaps it was not at all such a bad place to be stuck.

As promised, the room was fairly big. It had several large windows on the exterior walls. Being in the Southwestern corner of the building allowed a view both of the town stretching out below them, or the majestic snow-crowned mountains, depending on which window through which she looked. Wood was neatly stacked beside the room's hearth, and a few pieces of decent artwork adorned the interior walls. The furniture was sparse but adequate. A small door also resided on one wall, presumably leading to the washroom. The finished but deliberately unpainted wooden walls gave the room a rustic cabin feel, complete with a faint odor of pine.

Crysha quickly moved to get a fire going in the hearth, anxious to banish the chill from the room. No sooner had she finished doing so then the group was interrupted by a loud but short knock on the door.

A slight, older-looking woman was waiting on the other side. "Good evening," she greeted them with practiced courtesy. "Nice to have you as our guests here at the Pick's Nightcap. I hope our accommodations meet with your satisfaction. If you have any laundering needs you can leave them with me. Meals are served in the dining hall downstairs, someone will be along to remind you when they're ready. Our dining hall is always open to travelers, even during non-dining hours, and we're quite proud of our selection of beverages served anytime. Do call us if you have any needs." Having completed her speech the woman bowed slightly and was soon on her way, leaving the group alone once more.

Vaguely Crysha wondered if all of their guests were given such treatment, or just the ones who seemed to have money... Either way it mattered little to her at that point for her gaze was lost in the gentle dancing of the flames and their cozy surroundings.

One of the paintings drew her attention and she crossed the room to give it a better look. It was somewhat abstract, with a beautifully drawn scene in the background of moonlight across majestic forested mountains not unlike the ones beyond their windows. The foreground hosted a pair of figures, one man and one woman, holding spears and covered in beautiful furry animal skins. What had caught her attention however, was the nature of the two figures. Each sported a pair of wolf ears not unlike her own on decidedly animal-looking faces. Their hands and bare feet were adorned with fearsome claws and their faces held expressions of predatory malice. They were clearly intended to be representations of her Ulric ancestors, but the artist had certainly embellished history with his own unique flair.

She looked at the animalistic figures before her, forever frozen in a state of artificial grace. "Is this how everyone thinks of my people? Is this what they see when they look at me?" Thinking of her own figure, she noted the absence of ferocious claws and wolfish teeth. She looked at her hands as she thought of them; they were the same gentle hands she had always had. She tried to picture her hands with claws and wondered: which version did she prefer?

She allowed herself another moment before abandoning her thoughts for the time being to return to the company of her companions.

Lion

Preparation for any given situation was key for the life of a Templar Guardian, be that situation spending coins or death.  Master Kralo back at the Hieron did not send Cassa on her quest unprepared, having given her a hefty bag of gold to serve her well on her journey.  Of course he warned her not to depend on it for the Mana was much more powerful than anything money could buy; with that on her side it was possible to take a room without payment at all.  But, of course that would be dishonest and a Templar was above such trivialities.

Still, even as she reached into her robe to take out the purse, she was made stagnant by Natajia's swift action to take the charge.  Smiling at the girl's generosity, Cassa nodded in approval, a sign that a little benevolence went a long way.  She didn't mind sharing a room with her new companions.  Had it not been for the weather and their generally lack of supplies, she would have been more than content to sleep on the forest floor.  A Templar was never to look for the ornate in life for, in this, was hidden greed and such strong emotions led down the path to darkness.

That wasn't to say, however, that she wasn't in awe at the overall set up of their quarters.  The overview of nature from their window was fascinating just as the pitter-patter of rain against the panes set the mood for three vagabonds perfectly.  Everything from the floors to the mantle set the setting that this was a room paying customer only.  Even at the price they paid for it, though low, was matched by merely by encountering the room.  Perhaps Pinegrove was more a prosperous town than any outsider might have guessed.

Seeing as she was carrying nothing but the armor and clothes on her back, she went about to inspect the view for a moment before taking in the elaborate paintings that covered some sections of the walls.  "One, two...maybe three, max," she whispered to herself as she took off her sopping hood.  "...of the essence..."  After observing the mountains and forest canopy below, she nodded.  "Yes," she said aloud this time. "This will do for the time being."

Nearing the painting of which Crysha set her vigilance upon, Cassa let a grin grace her features, nodding in succession of her speech, "I know this one.  A wonderful piece by Serendipitian artist Joslynn James, if I'm not mistaken.  It's a wonder just what one may learn of the outside world when in the Hieron."

A moment of silence passed as she let her eyes travel down the lines of paint, noticing the similarities between the Ulricians in the painting and the one standing beside her.  A tempestuous aura flowed from Crysha of some intense emotion, something that would undoubtedly cause her much pain.  Softening her gaze, the Templar guardian quirked her eyebrows and said simply, "You are troubled.   Why?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Moving aside to let her companions by, Natajia looked past them at the walls and windows of the room that she hadn't really been concerned about a few moments prior. She saw how Crysha was looking at the painting, how Cassa was looking out the windows, but she didn't think her place was with either of those objects. Besides, it was raining outside and too cold for it to be of any interest to her. Instead, she went to sit in a chair by the table she'd set her things on and took out the book she kept her notes in. These are more interesting, she justified to herself as she lazily flipped pages, skimming notes and eyeing her sketches.

The day had provided her with a few nice pictures and new notes about some of the trees in the region that she'd been studying for some time. There were little differences, she noticed, when she compared one she'd looked at during daylight to another she'd written about only a month ago. Besides her notes, though, Natajia was thinking about their possible route on their journey and what foliage she might encounter on the way. She smiled at the thought of new entries in her book, of new sights to see and plenty of time to think on the way. She hoped it would be nice travel, that they wouldn't run into too many obstacles along the way or run into flat out trouble.

Managing to tug herself away from her deep thoughts and the book in her lap, Natajia looked up and noticed that Crysha looked a bit different and Cassa was speaking with her now. Feeling it would be best to leave them alone for a little while, she put her notebook back into her bag and took out a smaller piece of paper, her quill, and ink. With these she started a list of what she knew she would need to buy for the trip and guessed at a few things that they might need as a group.

Occupying herself with the list and thoughts about time and weather, she felt she could stay out of Cassa and Crysha's conversation as much as was possible for her, though the curiosity was biting at her.

Anonymous

Crysha had been so lost in her thoughts that Cassa's words about the painting did not even register at first. They came into her mind in a tumble as she turned to see the other woman standing close to her.

Unsuccessfully, she tried to avoid looking startled. "I... well..." Some inner desire to keep her past hidden from the world battled with a need to talk about the matter. As usual she kept the battle hidden within her, a secrecy that was once more betrayed by the agitated twitching of her tail and the subtleties of her expression. She hated that.

"I don't know much of the history of my Ulric heritage, to be honest I guess I never cared that much, but..." Finally she let the matter spill out.

She had only known Cassa for a short time; yet as she stood before her, a strange warrior from a place she knew nothing about, something about the woman made Crysha trust her.

"You see what I told you about my teacher Ghee, and the reason I left, wasn't really the truth. Or at least not all of it.

"We spent so long together, and I learned so much; for a time I believed that I had found my true calling. I believed I could spend a lifetime just learning from him. Then that all began to change. He knew more about my own people than I did. Eventually he began to tell me things.

"He told me that once Ulrics were plentiful throughout the forests and mountains of the world. Apparently they worshiped a 'Great Spirit' from which the world was made. The Great Spirit is life itself, and exists everywhere life exists. From the Great Spirit came the plants, and then the animals which fed on them. Yet the Great Spirit could see how the animals became too many and they ate up all the plants and started to become sick. So the Great Spirit created wolves to keep the world in balance. The wolves hunted sick and weak animals, and soon balance was restored.

"Pleased, the Great Spirit gave to the wolves hands, feet, intelligence and reason. Many of the wolves protested, complaining that their new form made them weaker. These wolves elected to remain as they were, despite assurances from the Great Spirit that these gifts would one day make them far more powerful, and in the end their wish was granted and those wolves were allowed to stay as they were. To the others, the first of the Ulric, the Great Spirit said that just as they had for so long kept the world in balance, now they must use their new gifts to protect it as well.

"For many years this worked, but as the Ulric began to realize the potential of their new abilities they began to fracture. Eventually the Ulric were ruled by two siblings, a brother and a sister. The brother believed that they were wasting their gifts for he saw the great power they could have over the world. He believed that the Great Spirit had left and that they were given their abilities so that they may rule the world in its absence. The sister believed they should go on living as they always had, and trust that the Great Spirit would soon give them more guidance."

In the back of her mind Crysha wondered if the other woman had already heard this tale. However despite concerns of boring her listener to death she could not stop now that she had started. Not until she had gotten it all out.

"So the brother gave up his claws and ears and tail and all the things that made him wolf and embraced his cunning and ambition. Many Ulric followed him, and so was born the human race.

"His sister, believing they were never meant to rule the world, resisted him. So he worked hard on thinking up new weapons and when he was ready he made his war upon his former people. They were victorious and the last of the Ulric survived only by hiding in the remote mountains and forests of the world as the centuries following slowly forgot them.

"However, it is said that when the brother was old and on the verge of death he had a vision of the future. His people had become truly powerful just as he had known they would, but in so doing they had destroyed the balance of the world. In his vision the world had fallen into ruin and there was suffering and violence everywhere. He vowed then that before it was too late his spirit would find its way back to this world and undo the horrible mistake he had made.

"I asked him why he was telling me all this. He said that hidden within such tales there is always truth, to one degree or another. He said also that while this wouldn't make sense to me yet one day it would, but in order for that to happen I should learn about my Ulric heritage. That the beliefs of my people would help me understand my own role in this world.

"Some time after that, he asked me to come with him for a special ceremony. He took me to a place deep in the woods and started a fire, then asked me to sit near the fire and meditate with him. He threw something in the flames which had an odor I had never smelled before. I saw things during my meditation... strange things. When it was over, he said that he had seen into my spirit. What he saw there gave him great expectations for me. 'You are here for a purpose,' he said. 'You were called.'"

"It was the next morning I left. I still don't know why I did exactly. I think it was because I don't know this great person he was talking about." The frustration in Crysha had been building not unlike a winter storm and now had reached its peak. "Everyone looks at me and they either see their 'great expectations', or they see that-" she nodded at the painting before them. "The trouble is, I don't seem to be able to be either one. I've never been the primal animal warrior this artist so lavishly painted -" she held up her very human looking hands as if for emphasis- "nor do I know how to be a hero, change the world, or anything of the kind. I don't know my people; I don't know myself."

Her outburst of emotion ended as quickly as it had begun, leaving her shifting awkwardly in a suddenly uncomfortable silence. She wondered with more than a little chagrin what her companions must have thought of her then.

Lion

The story that flowed into Cassa?s ears was listened to with the utmost visualization and care.  It was quite an interesting tale, really; one in which molded her face into one of understanding and deep contemplation.  She nodded in the appropriate intervals, taking in the details of her culture?s creation tale.  Of course, with her learning she knew that the power of the Mana touched many and all things from cultures, species and lives, each having their own interpretation of the striding force.  Her story, as Cassa judged, was one such tale, but she could not be blamed (not that there was fault to begin with) because the Mana was universal.  Anywhere there was life, the Mana flowed through it, making it vibrant and beautiful.

Cassa nodded in the end, taking a glance back at the tribal portrayal of Ulricians in James' painting.  There was a deep sense of pride pouring from the brushstrokes, showing how the artist only ever worked with the utmost respect from in whatever entered his vision.  For all the talent that was Joslynn James, she found the faces of the male and female particularly interesting in that while they were exuberantly feral, there was an undoubted purpose in each visage, a sense of being like no other.  Upon seeing this, Cassa smiled and voiced, "You are not animals.  No matter what tale that decreed you as such.  Animals follow where their instincts entice them to go, but beings such as you or I feel a different purpose, to do more than simply be alive.  We follow a greater understanding than the base instincts of survival because we are to serve a purpose in that life.

"While all things are equal in the grandest scheme, there are those that live to survive and there are those that life to 'be'.  But the Mana is a mysterious thing, and nothing can be said of it that stands in stone.  The future is an ever shifting thing and it is my belief that we create our own purpose; where we want to be in our own time."  Cassa cast Crysha look beyond contemplation, one that bore the hope of comprehension.  "And as for the painter, I sense great admiration for your people here...  The artist meant only to exemplify a vital aspect of you're people's culture.  Ulricians are renowned for several different trades across the continent but little is known of their actual history.  I believe Joslynn James chose only to show the ignorant the true beauty behind it all."

She smiled once more to her companion, hoping that she alleviated some worry or relief and awaited a reactions showing such.  Still, Crysha's words of questioning purpose, stirred her and made her wonder.  It was her solid belief that all things had their place in their world, doing what they must, but because the future was ever changing, there was always the concept of making one's own purpose in life through action.

Cassa's eyes beamed with righteous admiration for Crysha's courage to reveal the very thing that stressed her.  "You might be braver than you think, sometimes bravery appears in the strangest of fashions.  It is both a strength and a curse to summon courage when the correct moment strikes.  But learning to extend your perceptions to detect such moments ahead of time is vital for a safer future; one that you mold."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

[OOC: Sorry to hear you're not well Juno.   :(  That's never any fun. I hope you get to feeling better soon! In the meantime as per your wishes I'll go ahead and post. It you want to post before me next time around to compensate feel free to jump right in there I don't mind.]

Crysha sat quietly, not really paying attention to the goings-on around her. She had gone down to the inn's dining room not long before to have a drink and calm her mind. The drink was the most mild of the offerings, but that was quite strong enough for her.

Normally she didn't drink at all, but for some reason she could not get her mind off the conversation she and Cassa had shared in their room earlier. She had thanked the woman for her kind and thoughtful words but knew that she would need some time alone to sort them out along with the rest of her jumbled thoughts.

The drink was not helping at all. It had a strong bitter taste and she had to force every gulp down her throat. A distasteful look had been etched into her face from her numerous attempts.

What had helped however, was the opportunity for a hot bath that the inn had provided her. Soon the cook would be serving the evening meal, and while Crysha had been drifting through her thoughts she had not noticed the first handful of men shuffle in and take seats at the bar.

Normally she would have left the room as soon as they entered, discomforted as she was by crowds. Ordinarily she surely would have noticed one of the men periodically glance her direction, and the unkind look on his face as he did so. Certainly, she would have thought about her appearance given the fact that she had not put her outer robe on again after her bath. She was comfortable indoors without the heavy garment, but the more casual tunic she now wore did little to conceal her ears or tail.

By the time she did take notice of the other men they were standing not five feet in front of her, in a semi-circle around her table. The man who had shot her the unkind looks was the largest of them. Surely a miner by trade the man was enormous and built like a rock. He looked as though he had not shaved, bathed, or most likely washed his clothing in days. His companions were also fairly muscular though not as large. To varying degrees they also shared his gruff appearance. However their greatest similarity would surely have been their varying looks of malice and shared amusement.

For a few moments all parties simply stared at one another. The silence was at last broken by the giant. "You must be lost little fox." His voice held an unconcealed contempt. "I haven't seen one of your kind in these parts for many years. Not since my late father hunted the last fox stupid enough to think it could hide in our mountains." The man's anger seemed to grow as he continued until it seemed to make the very room darker. "Did you think we would just forget? Oh many of us have but not those few of us who still sweat and bleed up there in those mountains, oh no. We remember how many lives were lost taming these mountains and their self-proclaimed 'protectors.'" He almost spat the last word out. "We remember all the good miners and hunters that died at the claws of you animals!"

The barkeep, noticing the commotion, made some strong remark about not causing trouble within the inn. He was completely ignored by the group who ever more menacingly surrounded Crysha.

The giant continued. "You should have stayed down south where you came from; aren't nothin' but a bunch of fox-loving pacifists down there I hear."

Seeing that the situation was only deteriorating her mind raced to try and figure a way out. She couldn't run while they had her surrounded, and she doubted she could beat even one of them in a fight. She fought instead against the fear which threatened to make her limbs into numb, immobile appendages. "I didn't kill anyone," she pointed out. "I have no wish to fight you." While the remark had been intended to sound strong and confident her voice betrayed her fear.

The man was not impressed. "You're playing this all wrong, little fox. Didn't I just warn you there aren't no pacifists here?"

Crysha stood slowly, more to re-assure herself that her muscles would still obey commands than because she had any idea of how to escape.

The man from the bar had now come over to stand beside the giant and was trying to talk him down. "Don't do this Cairn. Let me buy you a drink old man, before you get yourself into trouble."

The remarks were hardly even buying Crysha time, let alone calming the man.

From immediately behind her a strong set of arms were suddenly around her, forcing the air from her very lungs. Her struggles were futile.

"I'm gonna take you apart," the giant threatened as he shoved the table out of his way with a casual push. "real slowly too, just like your kind did to my dad."

Adrenaline coursed through her veins and her hands now felt completely numb. In an act of desperation she threw her right leg behind her at a sharp ninety degree angle to meet the groin of the man holding her. Even putting all the force she could muster into the blow it did not have the effect she had hoped. It did however cause the arms around her to loosen their grip.

It was enough. She slid out of the man's hold and made for the largest gap in the attackers' circle that she could see. A large set of hands grabbed for her on her way but she managed to evade their grip.

Taking in her surroundings in what little time she had the realization struck her that she had run not towards the door but towards a very long wall interrupted only by a series of large windows. As she turned abruptly left, in the direction of the front door, she saw a large object coming right at her out of the corner of her eye. She dodged only just in time and the chair flew a few inches over her head to smash a hole in one of the windows.

Even as she got to her feet once more she knew those few seconds had been too critical to lose. She again found herself surrounded by her attackers, and this time she was backed against a wall. "Someone help!" she shouted.

Unfortunately the few others occupying the dining hall at the time did not appear willing to confront the miners. One man even watched the events unfold with a clear look of amusement and appreciation.

"Cowards!" she spat at her attackers. "I've done nothing to you!"

"Listen to the little fox cry for its mother!" the man called Cairn spat back. He was now only a few small feet away and getting closer.

While she had never been the type for acrobatic feats of bravery Crysha's options had now completely run out. Before her fear had time to talk her out of it she turned and ran for the window. It became quickly apparent to her the hole made by the chair would not be large enough. The act of enlarging it mid-flight was an extremely painful one.

She cried out involuntarily as the glass shattered, slicing her skin in the process. To make matters even less pleasant her landing was lacking in sufficient grace and her head hit the wooden deck during the fall.

Through the now-open window she could hear the angry shouts of her attackers, while all around her darkness seemed to close in. Unsteady, and fighting back the ever-encroaching darkness in her vision, she forced herself to stand. Her struggle continued as she shambled with all possible speed into the night.

She silently thanked the very rain she had earlier despised, for while it chilled her it also helped dissipate the dizziness and black spots in her sight. 'This is why I don't like cities,' she thought bitterly. 'This is why I don't like people...'

Turning down a side street she could hear the sounds of commotion steadily fade behind her. Eventually she felt safe enough to stop. The alley smelled of refuse from one of the buildings on either side, she couldn't tell which.

No one was around; only the pattering of the rain surrounded her. It provided a subtle companionship as she looked up toward the sky. No stars could be seen of course with so much cloud cover. Only an endless darkness to match her mood.

Lion

[...*sniffle* Two months...Two loooong and sporadic months.  I could apologize for my absence, but I know even that would not be enough.  But in my heart, for the love of writing, for Cassa, and my fellow roleplayers, I am truly sorry for not replying for so long.  If you guys are still around and still want to play, the thread is always open for you.]

She was absorbed in her breath.  When the time came for her to leave the present world and join the universe, it was a practice she was prepared to take at any moment.  Of course, there would be moments when such practices would be very impractical...  Like during battle for instance.  Such times would call for very little thought and one would have to allow their Mana to flow freely within them, to guide their movements, to defend when attacked, and to attack when there is an opening.  And battle was reserved only for defense.  Any act of aggression was not becoming of a true Templar Guardian for one could so easily fall from the path of light to the path of evil.

And that was why Cassa chose to spend so much time in meditation.  The process allowed for her to center herself, to truly visualize and see the world around her for what it truly was.  Her sights were not covered with a blanket of darkness as they would be if she focused on crude matter.  The key was surrender, allowing one's inner Mana to show them the path to enlightenment.  Of course, most paths were long ones for only those that sought power and greed would will their path to be short.  And in the end, all would be for naught.

Instead, Cassa allowed for her life energy to seep through her, to wander like mist over water to the edges of solid matter to the very core of her spirit.  It lifted her, made her ethereal and all around her the colors of the Earth revealed themselves in motion.  Like the gears of a clock, each had its place in the grand scheme.  The Mana worked in mysterious ways and all were apart of the landscape of life.  It was her job to protect the Mana and the life it created, to defend the weak and helpless, and to find the last piece of the Terra Scrolls before the traitorous Ronin did.  The latter was the highest and most immediate of her tasks, and despite all her training, she was still lost.  But still she sat in the middle of their room, still garbed in her armor and travel cloak whilst Nat departed to do whatever it was she did while she was locked in a room and Crysha left to eat a warm meal, and opened her mind to the world.

She attempted to hone in on that specific path, the object so precious to the Order that, according to their doctrines, could mean life or death.  It was everything or nothing and that thought made her double her efforts toward seeking out the prescribed energy.  The path was unclear still, mystified by strange and strangled echoes.  Voices, to be more precise.  They sounded near, as if they were right beside her and yet they were far away, distanced from sight and sound.  Cassa involuntarily scrunched her eyes as she fought to concentrate, fought to avoid the call of a man's voice that spoke softly to her.  His words were indistinguishable but they were melded together with the voices of several others that matched his tone.

It wasn't until the repetition of the word "Stop!".  Though it was voice she'd heard in her head, there was a great really commotion that snapped her out of her meditation.  Suddenly, as her instincts taught her, she reached for the hilt of her sword, her gloved hand fitting snugly at the base of the hand.  In an instant she was at her feet and, after a second of listening, knew the riffraff to be coming from below stairs in the bar area.  Immediately she was out the door and leaped down the steps, resisting the shock of landing and effectively arrived in time to witness the aftermath of what was obviously a bar brawl.  She may not have had much experience with the outside world, but she knew a fight when she saw one.

Immediately, from the red hot aura's that surrounded them, she knew the instigators of the fight when her eyes laid on them.  Yet she remained on the landing, surveying the scene even as eyes transferred from the broken window to her.  Where was Crysha?  It was only a moment ago that she ordered a meal here and now she was gone.  Cassa, with determination laden in her eyes, approached the significantly larger man whose Mana was the most troubled.  "You!" she said with a no nonsense voice.  "What went on here?"

The man turned to Cassa with an annoyed and angry grimace on his dirty face.  "Now what'n hell's name d'ya want?  What d'ya think went on here?  I was takin' care of a 'rodent problem'."  He snickered and his cronies followed suit.  "And just what d'you intend to do 'bout the problem, little girl?  You a fox-lover?"

Too bad she was in no mood to make jests.  In instinct of punishment, Cassa swung the blade at the huge man's head, then expertly stopped it just millimeters from his neck.  He was struck stupid by the action and oblivious to the fact that he should have ducked.  In all honesty the  blade was far too swift to have been dodged but it startled him nonetheless.  He stood there, shaken, and suddenly fearful of his life.  "Confess, heathen!" Cassa demanded.  Her eyes were glowered with burning determination.

"Alright, alright!  S-she jumped!  Right out the window there.  And ran off!  That's what happened I swear!"  

"There's more!  I can tell!"

"We—we...were trying to rough her up a bit.  Th-that's all.  Honestly!  I-I don't like Ulrics at the best of times and I didn't want her in here so we tried to get rid  o' her!"

Satisfied, but still fueled with adrenaline, she said, "That is all I require.  You will stay here.  I apologize for my actions, but this issue is not yet resolved."

The man, still stung and fearful for the return of the blade, merely nodded and backed away.

With that, she turned to the door, sheathed her sword and departed into the sheeted rain.  She did not need to vociferate her name for a mere following of the latest passage of a person through the area.  As far as she knew, no one would want to travel through the imperilment of heavy rain except those that absolutely had to.  She closed her eyes yet again and slipped into a temporary state of empathy.  For a moment she searched for the nearest source of torment, something wounded or in need.  She soon found the source but it was farther than she expected.  She's quite fast to get that far so quickly Cassa thought as she set off.

Following the strain was simple enough; she rounded enough street corners to finally come upon an alley of sorts.  A retched stench emerged from one of the side building but did little to deter her from entering into the shaded area.  Coming forward slowly, she spoke sympathetically, "Crysha?  Are you here?  Do you need help?  'Tis I, Cassa."  She persisted into it until she saw another shape and the familiar ears and tail confirmed it indeed was the Ulrician.  At first she smiled, but as she surveyed her further, it faded and she said, without pity or contempt, "Come Crysha.  You are wounded.  I will help."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn