Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Playing in the Desert.

Started by Anonymous, July 13, 2009, 04:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

((Yey! First post in like. :X Years.))

Known for the dangers that awaited any who traveled its barren landscape, the Moraki Desert was no place to be meddling in. The abrasive sun torched the sand, bounced back off the light terrain with a ferocity that skewed the world just above the ground for any who looked in the distance. Like a crumbled soldier, the ruins of an outpost struggled to stand in its final moments of glory– it was, perhaps, the only structure for miles along this caravan trail. It wasn't much, and it certainly wouldn't prove to protect anyone from any of the legendary, ancient creatures fabled to live in these parts, but it did have a roof. A fractured, worn mudstone roof and something like two and a half walls to its name.

Inside, the packed desert sand was marred with intricate designs composed of geometric shapes that hashed into something new altogether. One footstep could destroy the whole work, but that didn't seem to be on the mind of the boy busily hacking hexes into the sand with a brittle piece of cactus needle. His long, nightmarishly black hair was plastered to his skin with sweat. Besides being a boy bred to deal with snow out in the desert, creating platforms to complete a necromancy spell was grueling work. After all, one slip up and the backfire could be irreversible and horrifying. As if the whole process wasn't horrifying enough.

The boy stood, apparently pleased with his work as he flung the cactus needle to the far side of the ruins and aimed his focus directly at the carcass braced against the wall before him. It was just a small, six-legged creature – possibly something he found dead along the outskirts of the oasis he'd ventured here from. He clapped his hands together to officially commence the spell, the loud noise echoing in the flatlands of the surrounding desert since the sound waves were escaping his sorry excuse for a sanctuary. Pitched low were soft whispers bleeding from the boy's mouth, hesitant at first, but growing more confident with each passing moment. The louder the incantation became, the more obvious it was that it was spoken in no tongue of this world, and the more it became a plea to whatever hell-bent god was listening.

The nightmarish boy closed his eyes against the spell, and ceased his chanting once the atmosphere directly within the ruins began to grow unnaturally chilled. This was a common side effect of raising the dead, though it was far less noticeable in the Arctic region Rath reigned from. His hands fell away to his sides shakily from where they were pressed together.

'Let it happen. Let it happen. Let it happen.' He thought steadily, trying to encourage his body to accept the changes taking place, trying to will away the numbness the cold was inducing on his fingertips. This was what he wanted, wasn't it? Dark magic materialized from seemingly nothing at the bottoms of his boots, and licked against the soles of his feet like only shadows could. The magic looked like bulbs of water trapped in smoke, and ran in rivulets through the labyrinth he'd carved in the sand. He tipped his neck back and angled his face towards the sky; let his mouth fall slightly agape. He knew it was coming, after all.

Pain lanced through his body with a vengeance, and tore up through his lanky frame to ebb life away slowly past his lips. He couldn't help the bitten off cry from trying to endure it, but the ordeal was quickly over soon after. The chill dissipated, the shadow magic flickered away like blowing out a candle, and the boy looked back down to regard the carcass with pale, wide eyes. "Did it work?" He asked aloud to no one in particular, and partly to confirm that he was still alive.

After all that, the little creature did a strange belly roll for about 5 seconds, then flopped back into the recesses of death. Rath blinked hard.

"....Seriously?"

Anonymous

He didn't know what had compelled him to come to the desert. He'd always hated hot places. It did nothing for his limp frame, thin and frail as it was, he was doing his best to build up his muscles, an attempt he felt he was succeeding in. He'd gotten stronger, but not enough so that it was noticeable.
The sun beat down on his purple hair, one hand curled around his tome, the other shielding his eyes from the sun as he glanced toward the horizon. Kye wanted nothing more than to get to where he was going, the town he was heading for was coming into view. It wasn't an illusion, he'd used his magic to build a wall over his eyes on those.

The sunw as beginning to set, but that didn't mean it wasn't hot. For once, Kye found himself wishing that time would go faster.
Ahead, a ruined outpost was coming into view, the purple-haired priest breathed a sigh. He'd be able to relax for a little before he kept going.
He walked slowly over to it, he knew that if he stopped sweating, he'd have a problem. That was why he'd kept that hand up on his brow for as long as he had. For as long as it stayed damp, he ran no chance from dying of dehydration.

A sound caused him to stop in his steps. A loud one, it sounded like some sort of megaphoned clap.
Then the air began to cool,  and at first Kye dismissed it for the sun's descent finally taking effect. But it wasn't. He realized that when it got a little too cold.
Kye sped up, a little worried now. But now that he wasn't as hot he was getting some energy back as his body adjusted to the sudden change in climate. A very human, very pained cry met his ears, and he sped up again.

His hurried footfalls came to a stop once he saw someone else, now sitting on his bottom with his back to Kye. Some sort of creature on the floor with him and strange patterns etched onto the sand before him.
Who was this man? He could see a head of dark hair, but just what the boy had been doing confused him.

Then the boy spoke, and Kye tilted his head slightly, he'd been performing a spell. By the looks of it, it hadn't worked either.
Kye walked around to the front of the boy, careful not to step on the patterns in the sand, looking at them, his eyes wide with curiosity. Perhaps to make it work the boy needed another force? If it meant learning, Kye was in.
He cleared his throat, and pointed to the patterns, "Pardon me.. but... what are you trying to perform exactly... ?" he asked, looking at the boy, whose eyes were still on the creature before him.

Anonymous

((Ooh, this took so long! >.< I want Rath to act a certain way, but when he comes out in writing, he totally does his own thing. xD I have no control over my characters! *shot*))

Rath hadn't once in his life been successful in raising the dead, so it wasn't too shocking in the end. Nevertheless, he fell down to a mopey crouch on the hot desert sand, rocking back and forth on his heels a little while he trailed his fingers delicately along broken patterns in the sand. It was the one trick he'd felt so passionate to master, but the most unattainable of all the shadow spells. It felt like no matter what he did...

"Pardon me.. but... what are you trying to perform exactly... ?"

Rath was afflicted with a bit of a tremor by the voice, and that involuntary shake was all it took to knock him off balance and plant his butt in the gritty sand. Had he been so self-absorbed he hadn't even heard the flurry of footsteps heading toward the outpost, or seen the figure standing so obviously before him? His upturned face was shrouded by his hair, but his eyes, shining like mercury, regarded the boy as wearily as a cat. "Reanimation..." He replied carefully. Rath wasn't the best for first impressions, and certainly nothing good could be said about his ability to rationalize...

If the spell didn't work, could it be that I summoned this person instead? He mulled over his thoughts, taking in the vibrant purple of the boy's hair. That was, after all, the characteristic color of shadow magic. Could this person be some sort of... shadow deity, then? Shouldn't deities be a little more... Rath wrinkled his nose. ..imposing?

Realizing that he had trailed off after speaking a moment ago, Rath was hasty to continue. "Taking a dead body and enchanting it to act like a living thing again. Not that it is living, it's just some shadow magic inhabiting the corpse. The magic has a will of it's own, but if you can control it..." A ghost of a smile twisted his lips. "Then it will answer to you." He pushed himself to his feet and swept away the clinging sand from his butt (xD), an embarrassing but necessary task. "My name is Rath," He began swiftly after, his voice just as haunting with regular speech as it was when spitting hexes and incantations, but each word was pronounced precisely, "Who are you? And how did you get here?" Rath paused for a moment. Should he ask? He licked his lips, painting them wet, and steeled himself to ask a question that would voice some of his innermost insanity. "I didn't summon you here, did I?"

Anonymous

((xDDD my characters do that to, but let them! it's easier 8DD ))

As the man on the floor looked up, Kye understood immediately. Yes, he'd seen shadow weavers... or people of the like.. before. In Serendipity's own mage tower, there were many of these people residing. Though, he'd never gotten a chance to speak with any of them, as both of their magic being of two opposite mediums. Kye, a wielder of light, and they, of darkness.

Then as the man spoke, Kye understood. Yes, that was another thing about the dark mages. They'd always had a thing for bringing back dead or dying things. Though Kye knew it unnatural, he wasn't one to stop them.

The way the man described it, was exactly what those dark mages had been doing back in the tower. Kye shook his head slightly, unsure of what to think.
Then the man introduced himself. Rath.

Kye smiled at him, "Kyeros. Or... just Kye." his own drawl seemed to contrast with Rath's odd voice. "No I was on my way into town, it's not to far from here. I needed some supplies for a spell I'm working on. It seemed here was the only place I'd find what I needed."

Then, his eyes went back to the runes and other shapes on the sand, "You know... I've seen spells like this. Most of the time, the mages had someone of a different... element to help them." He remembered that. Also something he'd learned from the tower. His brethren, the light mages, worked with the dark mages often, helping to catalyst such spells,

"What are you trying to... reanimate.. anyway?" he asked, eyes falling to the creature on the ground before them.

Anonymous

"You've seen spells like this?!" Rath echoed back in surprise, his pale eyes flaring wide, "Even I've never witnessed a successful execution, and my entire family practices shadow. Where are you from, Kye?" His heart thudded against his chest, awakening at the thought of coming closer to reaching his life goal. This was an especially pleasant development since Rath's pulse had grown feint after the attempt of reanimation.

At Kye's mention of the corpse, Rath crossed the room to pluck the little creature off the floor. "This thing? It's a species of beetle that produces a strong neurotoxin. Injects it straight through these, just one bite." He motioned to the obscenely large mandibles on the front of the bug's face... or what looked like a face, with the clawed ends of his fingers. A frown knit it's way onto his lips, half of which was curtained by the thick locks of his hair. "It was a lucky find. But dark magic is a finicky thing, you know? It won't inhabit the same body twice, and it sure as hell won't be summoned back to the same platform. In fact," Rath carried on with a slight wince, "I should burn it. It's bad luck to leave a shadow miscarriage as is."

Kye was right; most dark mages aspired to be reverse undertakers. Some, the more powerful, were able to rip the very souls out of the netherworld and replant them into the bodies from whence they'd died. Rath found something romantic in the notion of playing God, and to gain enough dark magic prowess to defy the laws of nature would be... enthralling.

It was an achievement worth dying for. Literally, in Rath's case, for shadow magic rarely worked for a mortal without taking a sacrifice, and it was a toll one could never earn back. Therefore, the thought of introducing another element into the ritual was puzzling because he couldn't fathom how the magic would react; it could leech both of the mages, or even take twice the payment! Rath wasn't sure he could withstand that at the moment; he'd have to rest for at least a week. Reanimation was a particularly draining spell.

"If you're gathering reagents for a spell, is it safe to assume you have your own element? I'm sure my own is obvious. Can I take a guess at yours?" The boy grinned playfully, raking his inhumanly long fingers through his choppy black hair to observe Kye better. Nothing was truly outwardly obvious - save for the exotically hued features, and the weighty-looking book Kye was holding. He clicked his tongue against his fangs. "Illusion..?"