Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Think Twice (Juno/Open)

Started by Lion, July 23, 2009, 08:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

This was surely as good as it was getting.  It didn't matter if she was right, if what she predicted really did come true.  All that mattered was that wherever she went, somebody died a horrible death, or lost all their money or was attacked or raped or...  The list was far too extensive to name everything.  It didn't matter.  The bottom-line was that she had to get as far away from that village as she could or she might have her head ripped off...  And that wasn't a pleasant thought at all.

She was a fortune-teller, that was apart of her profession next to being a bounty hunter.  But work had been slow as of late she had to resort back to the more unfortunate portion of her work.  It didn't exactly please her to tell people that they had only days to live or that their entire family was going to be stricken with disease.  But she never lied and she needed the money.  As far as she knew, people used what skills they had to make what money they could and if they didn't they'd starve.  One did what they had to do to get by in this world.  That was the cold, hard fact of life and one that Keva embraced.

She was one to face the hardships of life with a torch in one hand and her bladed boomerang in the other.  She swore she could handle anything that came her way no matter how terrifying.  But of course, these were just lies to keep her from tearing her hear out.  In the face of persecution, the best thing to do when there was nothing to do...was run. And so that's just what she did, straight into the thickness of the woods.  At the time the decision just made sense to her; she didn't think that she would need food to eat or water to drink.

Keva sighed, this little exile into nothingness really wasn't going as she expected.  She was exhausted now and so plopped down on rock beside a body of water.  It wasn't quite as small as a pond or as wide as a lake but it was substantial enough to offer a wave of coolness to wash away the heat from her forehead.  Before she knew it she felt a nice rumble quake in her belly.  "Gods, I'm hungy!" she moaned in misery.  Maybe this time there'd be a change, maybe now, she might actually be up on her luck.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Today had been a fairly productive, if boring, day for him. Xibalba had spent the entire morning making his usual rounds, gliding from town to town to watch the inhabitants. He only hoped that something would happen someday, like a fire or disease...maybe even a mass murder. At least he would have something to think about then, distract himself from his laid plans for the destruction of all these little people... To Xi people were annoying. They went about their lives with hardly ever a spark of excitement and nothing to live for but their seemingly insignificant work. What was work worth if all it got you was food or a home? You could get those through far easier methods, he thought, and so he found most people to be quite irritating just with their lives being something he chanced upon seeing.

By now he had finished his usual flight pattern and was just wandering, going wherever the wind directed him as he looked down at the forest beneath. His home, his cave, was still a few miles away but he could cover the distance in a short amount of time so he was really in no hurry to go back and sit bored. He did that too often now, though, the days where he had no need to hunt were spent just being lazy. There were no battles to fight, no debates to take part in, and especially no company for the likes of him. He found himself thinking about this even though he enjoyed his life of solitude...why was that? Perhaps he was just bored with his unstimulating life, who wouldn't be?

Xi gave a loud yawn as he glided along and thought about what he should do today with all this free time. Go for a swim? That usually was an easy way to spend a good bit of his day. He turned then, going off to the left in search of a good place to dive. It wasn't long until he spotted a little body of water off in the distance and made a beeline for it. He took a few moments hovering above the trees as he calculated whether it was deep enough for him to dive outright, and once he was sure about it he let himself drop. Folding his wings as he fell, Xi straightened his body to make the impact less of a...splash.

Once he was in the water he opened his eyes, noticing how close he was to the bottom. He had been close to hitting his head, but it gave him a sort of small satisfaction that he'd just barely escaped something that would have been an embarrassment to his skills. He gave a sharp twist of his neck and kicked off to launch himself back upwards. Letting only his head break the surface, Xi snorted water from his nostrils and shook his head a bit as beads of water trickled in ragged paths around his scales. A quick survey of the shoreline afforded him with a nice view of what seemed to be a female human. A toy, he immediately thought, inspecting her from a distance.

When he was satisfied that she was there to stay and hadn't just stopped for a brief moment he dropped back down into the water. Shooting from his spot in the middle of this small body of water towards where she sat near the shore, Xi covered the distance in but a pregnant moment. He did not make a show of himself and simply walked from where his feet touched the bottom to cover the distance between them in just another few seconds. Grinning widely, he lowered his head to look at her now that he was considerably closer. "Why hello," he said bluntly as he moved another step closer. "...what's someone like you doing all the way out here, eh?"

Lion

"...Danger..."

"Huh?"  Keva perked up.

"Danger!

She knew that voice.  It was like a hiss on a dark night, a serpent's whisper toward its victim, ominous and luring, meant to call one into the shadows so that they might be overcome and destroyed.  That voice that could only belong to the spirit that plagued ever since she could remember.  The voice of...The Prophet.  Damn the gods!  Did it have to follow her wherever she went?  She knew nothing more of the spirit other than that it was the heart of darkness, the bringer of death and to be imbued with the power of The Prophet was to be unstoppable.  Well, at least that's what it felt like to be possessed by the thing.  But sometimes she just wanted to sit by herself without having the spirit of death suddenly show up!

But it was warning her now and for ever reason decided to tell her that she should be wary.  What exactly did it mean though by 'danger'?  It just seemed so nonchalant and out of the ordinary that Keva was wont to pay little to no attention to the warning.  Maybe it was just her nerves, she was very lethargic after all and exceedingly hungry.  Maybe her hearing was playing tricks on her.  But, after some thought, how could that be?  The Prophet gave no warning before and now suddenly that it did, maybe she really ought to keep an eye open.  It wouldn't have done it for no reason.

Keva closed her eyes for a moment, keeping herself and meditating on what she was going to do about her current situation.  She didn't hear anything nearing her, not even the splash so engulfed was she in her own thoughts.  It was only when she opened her eyes did she suddenly find herself face to face with....a dragon.  Well, well, wasn't this a nice change.  Maybe this was what the thing meant by "danger" and if so, maybe The Prophet was looking out for her after all.

She just started with wide, untrusting eyes to the reptile that dared to make innocent conversation with her.  "What am I doing out here?" she repeated, now narrowing her eyes.  "I'm...sitting.  I didn't think dragons could talk.  How did you even know I could understand you?  Furthermore why do you care why I'm sitting?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

He wanted to blow in her face. It would probably spark an interesting reaction, but he decided that his precious exhaled breath could be saved for a more worthy cause. Instead, he let his breath out easily while staring straight at her, this girl that felt it was all right to answer him with questions. Now that she knew he was there, though, he pulled his head away a bit and hid his teeth from sight for the time being. Then, winking at her, he said, "I can see that you're sitting...but you didn't know? Oh well...I suppose it's only the smart ones...or one, that can communicate efficiently."

Shifting his weight, Xi rested back on his haunches with an eye always on her. He hadn't received as big of a reaction as he usually did and this disappointed him just a bit. It looked like he would have to work for his fun today, but it was worth it if he could hear one of the small people talk like this, as if she had a chance and this was all routine. "I assumed you spoke like the others around here do...I was right so it's worth is quite small now that we're talking, hm?" He chuckled, shifting again so he could rest his head on the ground; he did not see her as a threat.

"Hm...I don't really care to know why you're sitting, actually. It's probably more comfortable than standing...but you knew that this is all mine, right? Even that rock... It's mine." He was bluffing, but he got a lot of enjoyment from playing around like this. "I'm actually being a bit nice to you... I mean, I came out here specifically to move that rock, I'll have you know, but I suppose you can sit on it for a while."  Yawning, Xi whipped his tail around and purposefully caught the water's edge before pulling it back to splash her with a small bit of water. "So...again, what brings you out here?"

Lion

He'd only been there for a span of a few seconds and already he was irritating her.  Normally she was rather mellow and kept to herself except on the rare occasions where she actually had to talk to survive.   Talking was okay on occasion, but most of the conversations had between her and others were generally people screaming at her to take back what she prophesized or that she was a fraud.  The last thing she wanted was to be called a fraud; everything she predicted came true; was it her fault that people didn't like what she told them?  Okay, strike that question.  Still, she didn't want the most refreshing conversation she ever had to be with a dragon; an uppity one no less.

She averted his gaze and kept her vigilance straight forward toward the water and trees along the other side.  Every now and then she would twist her eyes to the hulking beast as he kept on talking.  So this was his rock?  She highly doubted it, nobody wasted time owning stupid things like rocks.  When he was done, all she could really say as she looked up at him slantedly was, "Why would you move a rock?  Maybe the rock doesn't want to be moved.  Maybe it likes to be sat on.  That's why it was here after all, it was waiting for me to sit on it, and I came along, nice and tired, and fulfilled its duty.  Now you're going to come along and tell me that I can sit here?

"Look, I'm not in the mood so just go away.  I'm hungry and tired, and I'm just sitting.  Now I'd leave before you're struck by lightning.  There's a storm coming soon."  And she wasn't kidding.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Watching the girl closely as she spoke, Xi could not help but let out a deep rumble of a chuckle. She had spunk and enough guts to give him attitude. He liked that. She looked promising so far, an ideal toy that he had happened upon. Her point about the rock was only as good as his own jesting and he could not help but be a bit pleased that she was not boring and fearful like so many others.

"Well, perhaps you think that rock is for sitting, but to be truthful it is quite a prize to me. You see, there's a collection at the bottom of the lake...I'd like to put it back." Her warning about a storm merely made him smile because, to Xi, weather was no concern. "You're tired, eh? Well...why don't you let me sink this rock here and then I'll show you a place where you can rest for the night? There's food there too," he told her, a sly grin exposing his rows of white fangs within his mouth. "A rock is no place for a lady to ride out a storm, right?"

ooc: ;__; I'm so sorry....

Lion

It was just a rock, seriously!  Why would anyone really care about where a rock was?  She shook her head severely in thought and glanced around one more time. Oh, he was still here?  This didn't please her at all.  Right when she wanted to be left alone, she wouldn't be.  Well, so long as the dragon didn't want to start any kind of trouble with her, she'd be civil too.  And by civil, she meant that she would not rave to him about the whole lightning thing.  

"Oo, lady trying to flatter me into your mouth, huh?  Honestly, why would a dragon want to go this far to move a rock?  Don't you have villages to burn down with your fiery breath or princesses to kidnap?  I didn't think dragons did that kind of thing, collect rocks.  If it was in the pile, why did you move it out in the first place?"  Keva stood now, not caring who or what wanted anything with the rock.  She'd done her duty by sitting on the rock which looked like it had been there for ages and ages.  "There," she said.  "I'm done.  Take your rock and then go fly away.  You're not taking me anywhere even if there is a storm.  I'm a big girl, I can handle some rain."

Keva, now not so decidedly civil, glared at the dragon straight in the eye, exuding not so much fear but rather irritation from this whole matter.  "Well?" she said, putting her hands on her hips.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Thoee and Deen were not negligent parents, ohhh no!  They just had a different... style of parenting.  Learn by doing, teach by allowing freedom to explore, as their own parents had raised them.  Yet, keep a watchful eye on their firstborn, through their biosenses.  Protective, but not overprotective.........

Which explained how a small Nism child could wander the forest without apparent tending.........

But ohhh, what fun!  Yes yes!  Funny funner fun!  So much to see, so much to do, so many things to ask mama and dada questions about...

... but mostly the funner stuff.

Playing with bugs and sticks and leaves and dirt and flowers and bugs and snails and.........

Ooooo... what was this, now?  Two strangery strangers?  Talking!  One big... and girly, just like her!  The other?  Bigger... scaly.  And not girly at all....

Which, had he been privy to this, would either be a relief or an insult.  Thank goodness this biggery, scalery lizarded thinger wasn't privy to the thoughts and impressions of this ohhh so young Nism child!

However...

... said Nism child, in an act of unintended yet perfect timing, popped up out of apparent nowhere, stood on the recently vacated rock, put tiny pawhands to hips, and imitated the expression, poise and lip movements of the one whose butt-warmth still inhabited the rock it had so recently been sitting on.

Yes, a very young, female Nism child, eyes a violet-tinted pale-blue, fur simple shades of brown and tan, scales a tarnished silver... and tail's tuft quite evident.  All this, wrapped in a body no bigger than a ferret.........

Anonymous

She was so obviously irritated now and it amused him oh so much. Watching her brought forth little snickers, her antics gave him a glimpse of one of the little people that led a not so monotonous life. "I thought females were more appreciative of comments," he said, tone light despite the discouraged feelings he felt. This girl would need more...she was smart. He could deal with smart.

When Keva moved from the rock he moved as well, adjusting himself to stand tall despite her warnings about lightning. Watching her, though, he could see clearly the irritation he had sensed from her only a moment prior. So the rock trick had worked after all...perhaps she wasn't so keen to the games of dragons like himself, who purposefully went around being as disruptive as possible. Ah, but wait! There was something there when he looked down to the rock...some creature even smaller than the girl, smaller than the rock. It was imitating the movements of Keva as she spoke to him, her voice showing more strain as her patience with him began it's road to breaking. Then, just for a moment after she stopped talking, Xi stretched his neck up and stared at the dark clouds that were rolling ominously in the sky. Smiling, knowing he still had a bit of time left, he brought his head back down to breathe some hot air at the girl and this small creature.

He stared at the little thing for a while, unsure of what it was, but after a moment he smirked. "I wouldn't push your luck, girl," he said, openly rude about saying something to her without even giving her a glance. "I think it would be in your best interest to come along with me..." All of this was said while openly evaluating the new edition to their surroundings. "I'm Xibalba," he said to the small creature. "Can you speak?"

Lion

The storm was boiling over rather quickly, far quicker than even Keva would've estimated.  She saw that the dragon wasn't about to heed her warnings about the lightning.  Well, she couldn't be held responsible for another's refusal for discretion, or lack thereof.  If he didn't want to listen well, that would be his own fault.  She knew better than everyone that basically she was a walking bad luck charm, just being around might trigger one's death sentence.  And she knew even necromancers didn't want to know the day they died, that was unless they were becoming Lichs or something.

The clouds grayed and blackened slowly a light drizzle began to pour down onto them all.  The dragon was stubborn, she'd give him that.  And it was only at certain times that such a trait was at all appealing.  Right now, it wasn't.   It was getting on her nerves more than anything and so was his rudeness.  Keva glanced at him awkwardly and offered him a scowl until he spoke.  "I don't think that's a good idea at all.  It's you who's pushing their luck!" Keva said moving off to the side just in case she could make a run for it.

It was only then that the dragon introduced himself, but it wasn't to her.  Well, if not her, then who the hell else?  She looked about and spotted one of the most peculiar looking creatures she'd ever seen.  Jumping back in surprise, she kept his eyes wide and asked, "What the hell is that?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

This small creature enjoyed the warmth of Scaly Scalers breath, but not the smell.  Ohhh, no!  Not the smell!  Bad smell... bad bad smelly smell.........!

Tiny pawhands clapped to muzzle as little eyes watered a bit.  Oh, wait... the puffy wuffle clouds were crying a smidge, and her fur was getting wet, too.  Still, a bit of water had to be from her own eyes... brimstone and other stuffs could be like onions, when dragons puffed breath in your face.  And Mister Scaly Scalers was a dragon, so having him breathe in her face would be like falling into a vat of fresh-cut onions and uncleaned fish.  Or whatever that smell could be described as, though this poor small creature couldn't describe anything for a moment, with tiny pawhands covering all four nostrils, and her own breath held.

But.........

She couldn't hold her breath forever.  No, not forever!  And now all these questions!  So...

...  "I's a'called Honalee!  C'n yous'a takes a breathy minter, pleasy cheese?"

Her long tail swished around, brushed tuft across Xibalba's snout, just barely.  After all, close as his face was, it was still quite a reach... too far for her tiny pawhands, anyway, but just close enough for her tuft.  Then, attentions just as rapidly shifted...

...  "What's the heller is whats...?"

She couldn't help looking around in an energetic fashion, her body all a-wiggle, in hopes of seeing whatever it was this lady had seen.........

Anonymous

Breathy minter?!

This little creature had to be joking, speaking to him in such a way! It was absolutely...childish! Xi growled, perceiving this all as insulting, the deep sound shaking his entire being. At least the thing had given its name, a female he now knew, he could tell...Honalee. How had she managed to sneak up on him? The thought disturbed him but he gave her some space, deciding she wasn't all that much of a threat. The human girl, though, had obviously made moves to put distance between them in a way that signaled she would try to get away from him.

Looking to Keva he cocked his head and grinned. "I believe we have a guest, isn't that nice?" Abruptly, Xi slung out a front leg and slammed his foot down beside her, putting himself between her and escape in a way. "Don't be so rude, girl, she's obviously of some intelligence to speak Common...now don't be rude yourself, offer up your name like everyone else." Finding this girl had been good for him, he so enjoyed playing games with emotional little humans. Of course, ones with some sense about them, like this one, were especially entertaining.

Even so, Xibalba was all smiles, or at least as smiley a dragon such as he could be with a mouth of sharp teeth. Raising his foot a bit he nudged at Keva's side, making sure to graze her calf with a claw to remind her what she would be up against if she tried to run. "...why don't we all go somewhere dry? The storm is coming...I know just the place where we can ride it out," he said, tone low as he thought about all the different ways he could try and push this girl to insanity, seeing Honalee as a spectator to his show. By riding it out, though, he really only meant the two females since storms, rain and water in general were all things he was quite comfortable with being exposed to.

Lion

Keva couldn't help the snicker that immediately followed the dragon's growl.  Gods, giant lizards were stupid sometimes.  But then again, so was she, having never received a proper formal education as other people.  But she was also a nomad, so essentially, life was her instructor in the ways of things.  "'We' don't have anything.  I'm not your guest.  And seriously! Pop some green into that mouth once in a while."  She waved a hand in front of her nose and was about to about face and bolt off when his claw stood in her way.

"Crap...."  was all she could utter.

[DX sorry for the length....]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Honalee didn't mind the rain or the wet or the other things, though she did think Scaly Scaler was being rude!  And... and the lady person hadn't answered her question... and she hadn't been able to see anything from Rocky Rock, so she couldn't see what the heller was about.  Being so very young, as well, she not only had times where her attention wandered every moment, but times where she fixated on things, like trying to see what this lady person had seen, yet also trying to listen to the words spoken within earshot and feel the biosignatures and... and... ummm.........

......... well, the nearest and highest point she could look from with a clear view was the top of Xibalba's head.  How had she gotten there?  Perhaps no one had noticed, what with their distraction.  And perhaps, due to her light weight and careful steps (not to mention small size), Xibalba and this lady person hadn't noticed until she...

...  "Xibbyboo, I's a'canner sees any heller thingers, evens from ups heresabouts... canna you's a stands upsies and daisies a'bitsers more?  Pleasy cheese?"

Honalee bent over and looked the dragon in his right eye with her own two, an innocent smile on her face, while patting him on the forehead with a firm pawhand, though not firm enough to crack his skull or leave even a bruise, ohhh no!  She was a very polite little Nism child.........