Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

No such thing as mirages... (Tebby)

Started by Lion, September 24, 2009, 08:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Euzec was far too accustomed to desert heat, as far as anyone else was concerned.  It was almost as if the man clearly didn't sweat enough as most other people did.  Maybe he was used to it, or maybe he was just born that way, to be able to take the heat of things.  But nonetheless, Geram didn't look too happy about it while he eyed the lead eunuch and Cosette and their large cat.  Here he was slaving away over hot pots and stupid servants that didn't know one end of a carrot from a pickled potato.  Sweat was nearly dripping from his brow...  Even so, he was proud of his position.  He'd served Kushumoro for years and was the best at what he did.  Even if Euzec got to spend his days with beautiful women...

Geram grumbled to himself as he looked for a piece of steak from the stores room.  When he found one, a fine slab with a hint of blood on it, he carried it out on a meat hook and waddled back to where his 'guests' were sitting.  "Here ya go, one bloody steak.  And Euzec, tell the king the lamb will take a little longer!  Great heavens, what's with that man and his crazy tastes.  Ah well," Geram said solemnly then tossed the slap of meat toward the cat.  Radamalf flashed his teeth at the man that gave him the meat, a sort of creepy cat smile, then started to inspect it with his nose and tongue.

"Er...thank you," Euzec said tentatively, as if he was walking on glass.  "I'll be sure to, Geram."  He nodded and waved the head cook away before starting on his soup.  It tasted wonderful, just as everything he made ever did.  Geram was the best cook Kushumoro ever had, after that last one lost his head...literally, and he made sure that he kept his head whenever he had the chance.  Which was why Euzec felt a little disgruntled to have to deliver the news of the delay in his food; he would again take the brunt of the king's temper.  Kushumoro didn't like bad news no matter the gravity of it.

Euzec was deep in thought, eating quietly until she caught his attention again.  "I...um."  He didn't know exactly what to tell her.  "I was just...thinking.  You know, we just barely met yesterday but already I feel I can trust you."  He smiled genuinely at her and touched her hand.  "I was just thinking how a real beautiful woman like you would have wanted to stay in the desert, even with someone like me.  I'm just a plain old guard anyway."  It wasn't exactly a lie, but it certainly was not what he was thinking about at the time.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown