Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

White and Gold [Drake, Nightcandle]

Started by Anonymous, October 06, 2009, 05:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Stonesthrone cast a long shadow.  Even the grass got shorter under it.  The horses didn't like it very much, but Vethrys didn't notice, and the hawk perched on her saddle seemed undisturbed.  Her party made its way up the path to the Keep's open gate, and she stared up at the raised portcullis as she guided her snorting horse forward beneath it.  He was temperamental, but then, she guessed, that was one of the hazards of always riding stallions.  

She liked symbolic gestures, though.  They made the inconvenience worth it.  

She'd kept Sir Mirak next to her, too, though his horse kept trying to bite hers.  

They hadn't announced their presence, and there wasn't any need for formal introduction anyway.  Instead, they stopped straightaway at the stables.  Vethrys swung off her horse and handed him off, still snorting and prancing, to a stablehand.  "Where's my brother?"

Stonesthrone's Master of Horse bowed to her.  "He's in the forge, my Lady."

"Of course.  He's a dutiful brother.  Aldrio," she said to Sir Mirak, putting a hand on his knee, "if you could ask about setting up the rooms."  He would share hers, if he could wind up the courage to ask for it.  She smiled brilliantly up at him, then took a step back and brushed the dust off the white unicorn on her tunic and the gold embroidery on her sleeves.  Her hair was too much of a mess to bother with and she smelled like horse and sweat, but Tarys wouldn't care.

She knew where to find the forge; she'd visited Stonesthrone before, while her uncle held it for Tarys.  It was only a few minutes' walk from the stables, and she could hear metal being pounded, and feel the heat and the strange shimmer of magic, long before she got there.  She stopped at the door and peered in, holding her breath against the wall of hot air inside.

"Little brother!"  Once she'd steeled herself against the heat, she took her customary long strides through the baron's smithy.  "Left it for the last minute?"  She leaned against a worktable and folded her arms, smirking.

Anonymous

He had known that his sister was coming, of course. She had sent a letter, being all polite, and he had had scouts watching the roads for her party for the last three days. One of them had ducked into the forge about an hour previously and fainted dead away from the heat, and so all the rooms were ready and waiting, to specifications he had guessed at. Separate rooms for all involved, although he made sure that his sister's room led through into the one where Sir Mirak would be officially staying throughout whatever length of time they were here. Normally he would have sent a welcoming party and discussed all the details en route back to the Keep, but her letter had called for him to do something else. As a dutiful brother - or a less dutiful half-brother, if you really bought in to some of the rumours still flying around - he had been required to make a suit of armour. This was usually no problem, he could knock off a decent suit of Faesteel in a day or so, but this one was for his sister. For his sister, he couldn't just put together any old thing, it had to be perfect. And it was, but that wasn't what he was working on.

"If you must know, sister, this is a sword for Ash. I finished your armour yesterday, it's just cooling off from final casting now."

Placing the blade he was fashioning to one side, he made no comment as another smith picked it up and continued to work it. His sister was here now, and she took priority over their baby brother. She had the higher rank, after all, and the rune work on the blade for Asharys was complete any way.

"I had my steward assign you and your party rooms," he said, taking her arm and leading her back outside, where the chilled air caught in his throat. "I took the liberty of ensuring that your suite adjoins Sir Mirak's, although if you tell father that I thought of the arrangement I will re-rune your armour so badly it crushes you in it."

The out house he led her to was rune-locked, since the armour he had made for her was, if he said so himself, exquisite. Made of Faesteel and gilded with the finest plates of gold he could fashion, the white unicorn on the front was pearl, details picked out in gold. He could still taste the magic in the air, but its effects would probably not be felt by his sister, even though he was sure that she had shown a few signs of sensing higher levels of magic before.

"Runes for lightness, greater mobility and toughness," he said. "I still don't get why it has to be gold, though, silver carries magic a lot better."

Anonymous

Vethrys laughed and came forward, running a finger over the pearl unicorn.  

"I have to confess, little brother, I didn't think you'd really manage it."  She paused, thinking.  "As for my lord father," she added, her voice low even though they were in private, "I've brought his eyes with me, and don't much care."  She shrugged,  and examined the armor while she spoke.  It was beautiful, maybe the best piece she'd seen in years, and she had gone through a lot of armor.  She paused to stroke the join between pauldron and breastplate, then continued, quietly.  "I find I prefer doing wicked things when I know he's watching--have you ever felt that way?"  She grinned at him.  "--Of course you haven't."  

After another pause, she stepped back, then turned to look at her younger brother again.

"This really is fine work, Tarys, it's the loveliest sight I've seen since I was last in front of a mirror.  Isn't it enough to say I want gold to match my hair?"  She smiled askew and ruffled her hair, which was the color of muddy straw, not metal.  "Your gold in my armor won't protect me, it's true.  But I admire it so much I think I'll order a suit for all of Fallial.  Gold armor for our province.  My lord father had the thought, but I wanted to come and see how it looked myself."  Vethrys ran her eyes up and down the armor again, one hand on her hip. "I think I like it."

Anonymous

"I've been working on it nineteen hours a day since I got your letter," he said, taking another deep breath of cool air. "There were times when I didn't think it was going to get done."

Of course, he could have entrusted it to other smiths in Stonesthrone, but this was armour for his sister. Although if she kept up with the bastard jibes she might find out exactly what he could do with his runes now. His skills were a far cry from the inept workings he'd produced ten years ago to make her sword to heavy to lift; now he had an innate attachment to every piece of armour he made, and could adjust the runes to suit him. Not that he told any one that,of course.

"Unlike you, my dearest sister, our lord father sees no reason to keep me under close watch," he stated, lightly. That wasn't to say that there weren't spies of his father's in the Keep, of course, he was sure that there were, but since he hadn't been verbally attacked in any letters from his father he had to assume that either the old man's Eyes were failing or he hadn't managed to draw as much attention to himself as his sister always could.

He rolled his eyes as she started going on about the gold and her hair as if armour was an accessory or as if she was the kind of person to give a damn about such things in the first place. A slight growl issued from his throat when she suggested that the gold wouldn't protect her, since he hadn't said that at all, and his face contorted into a frown as she started going on about gold armour for all of Fallial and something their father had come up with. He wasn't in the mood for games; after thirteen days with less than enough sleep, and with the prospect of at least one more 'celebratory' meal tonight to welcome his sister to the Keep he wasn't exactly in the best of moods for anything.

"Vethrys, what in the name of the gods are you rattling on about?"

Anonymous

Vethrys laughed again at Tarys's obvious disgruntlement, then slid in next to him and flung an arm around his shoulders.  He was still sweaty from the forge, and smelled tangy with metal.  She shook his shoulders, pointing them both in the direction of the armor he'd made.

"Did you really think I just came for that?" she said at last.  She let go of him and stepped back, unsmiling now.  She put both hands on her sword-belt and stared at him.

"Tarys, Father has his eye on more than my latest toys. It may've escaped your notice out here on this rock, but King Fenway is still gone.  Lorin Siilan's missing too.  And I'm afraid the Houses may soon put proof to the Thandryon words.  At a time like this, neither father nor I think it's wise to send gold to the King's treasury.  Not when there's no king to take it.  Not when we don't know where it's going.  The loyal thing would be to keep it back.  Mint the coins but keep them here, with the Throne, that is my father's suggestion."  She shrugged.  "It's your choice, my Lord Baron. Take some time and think about it."

Anonymous

For a moment, he just gawped at his sister. Then the full implications of what she said hit him, and his mouth slowly closed as he started running things through his head. He was the pragmatic one, after all, and lots of things sprang to mind, not least the fact that while he had taken the baronetcy from his uncle when he turned sixteen, he had only been a knight for two months. He had been a knight for less time than the king had been missing. Half the garrison here were still covertly resentful of being led by a teenager. Keeping gold here would make Stonesthrone a target.

"You called me Lord Baron," he said suspiciously, after a moment, gathering his thoughts together. "That means it was your idea, you just don't want your name attached to it."

Responsibility. Vethrys wouldn't know the meaning of the word if it bit her in the ass, yet she was the one who would some day rule Fallial, gods help them. Tarys, on the other hand, oversaw several mines and Stonethrone's main forges and made sure that what people got was what they paid for. He also had a responsibility to keep the place from being attacked. Keeping hold of the money minted in Stonesthrone was walking a fine line between treason and common sense, though, and he continued to weigh up the options as he waited for her to confirmor deny his thoughts.

Anonymous

Vethrys spread her hands innocently and widened her eyes.  

"It's a Thandryon idea, Tarys," she said.  "Attached to the Thandryon name, just as you are.  You could always take another."  The prick at his suspected bastardy came out lightly.  Vethrys stood facing him, arms akimbo, hands cupped, making an imaginary balance in the air.  She raised first one palm, then the other, as though measuring an uncertain quantity.  "But while you're the Baron Stonesthrone, it is your choice.  I can't hit you until you give in anymore, little brother."  Not with my hands, anyway.  "And while it wasn't my idea, I do think it's a good one, and I will lend all of my considerable charm to supporting it.  Father agrees--here."  

She let the invisible balance drop and reached into the front of her tunic.  She withdrew a letter, closed with Emrys's personal seal, and passed it over to him.  "It's in cipher, of course," she added, rolling her eyes, "I haven't even tried to read it."

Anonymous

Well, whatever else had changed since he'd last seen his sister, they still had the same old routine going on. She would come in, insult his ancestry despite their shared mother (and, for all she knew, their shared father) then ask him for something. And being the dutiful brother that he was he usually went along with things. It was easier, in the long run, since if he didn't do something for her now he had to get it in the neck from his father, who would no doubt remind him of his duties as a knight, since he obviously didn't want to fulfil his duties as a brother and everything would get so very tedious. As a squire he probably could have passed the responsibility on, but as a knight? Nope, not happening.

"If you haven't tried to read it, then how do you know for sure that it's in cipher?" he asked, taking the letter and breaking the seal. He knew plenty of ways of reading confidential letters without damaging the seals, and was sure that his sister did too, so an unbroken seal was not a guarantee of a letter being unread. But the cipher was, of course. Well, that wasn't quite true, but it meant that only someone who knew the cipher could understand it. Reading through it he weighed up all the options again and came to his own conclusions. This was not an attempt at treason, of that he was certain; his sister might have certain opinions about virtue, but their father was definitely not in it for the money. He was in it for the integrity and the honour of not giving the king's money to any one other than the king. It would be somewhat stormy politically for a while, but nobody could realistically claim that the Thandryons were traitors. They were well known to be loyal to a fault.

"Money sent to the capital without the receipt of the king can be used against his loyal subjects to prove them disloyal and to rob them of everything," he said, carefully. His grasp of politics and tactics wasn't completely dire, after all. "I will put all my efforts into spreading minted money through out Fallial. No way in heaven or hell am I going to keep it all in one place, that's just asking for trouble."

Anonymous

Vethrys had to hide a smile when he spotted the paradox in what she'd said.  Of course she'd opened the letter.  Her disavowal had been a veiled confession.  As to the rest of his suggestion...

"No."  Vethrys shook her head once, to make her disagreement plain, and put a hand on Tarys's shoulder.  "The gold isn't ours to distribute.  It's the King's, and we need it in one place.  For now, at least, it's a sign of good faith.  Keep it, don't spend it or send it."  

Her fingers tightened.  "When I get to Arca I can offer to disburse it in search of the King, and only in that.  No one can call that treason.  The worst accusation we're likely to get is prideful highmindedness, and I've heard that before, haven't you?  My Lord Father lives by it."  Vethrys grinned, sticking out her neck until their faces were close, and patted him on the cheek.

His eyes were disturbingly like their mother's sometimes.  But then, she'd heard her own were disturbingly like a hawk's.  Vethrys took a step back from her brother, but not before she'd given his cheek a last pinch.  "This small part of the idea is mine," she admitted, deadpan.  "I'm sure it's the childish side of me that wants to go on a great quest for the king, with whom I am doubtless in love.  Or at least fund one."

Anonymous

"I wasn't going to bloody spend it," Tarys muttered, once his sister's criticism was done. Obviously there was a good reason why he ran the mines whilst she did whatever the hell it was she did while waiting for their father to die. Waiting for her father to die; when she got like this, remembering that he was a bastard made counting to ten and cooling off before he punched her a lot easier.

"Stonesthrone isn't the Horn, sis," he said, carefully. "I could have all the minted coins transported there, but that might send the wrong message. As long as the money is in the Stonesthrone Barony, it's going to be in more than one place, it's logically sound to do things that way. Sure it's not ideal, but you have only yourself to think about. I have the entire population of Stonesthrone."

Moral highground for the win. Vethrys might be all about quests and fights and finding the king before Serendipity went to hell, and Stonesthrone might be damned near impregnable, but his argument still stood. With enough of the right power in the right place even the best armour could break, and as yet the Stonesthrone garrison was not what he would call the best. So for the sake of his people (ha, he had people and Vethrys didn't) he was going to be stubborn about that part.

Anonymous

Vethrys rolled her shoulders back, stretched her neck, and let herself look bored.  

"Keep it however you like," she said, "I don't pay attention to minutia.  That's your strength, my Lord Baron, obsessive detail.  It makes good armor, what can I say."  She gestured toward the suit he'd made for her.  It glittered brilliantly gold, but Vethrys only liked beauty for what it meant.

It meant her brother had spent his time to make it for her.  

It meant he'd agreed to back her before she'd even come.  

Ha.  I win.

She made herself yawn loosely, pushing one hand through her hair.  "Besides, I don't have the energy to hash it out anymore." She struck a weary pose, forearm against her forehead.  "Talking politics exhausts me."  Opening one eye, she peered at Tarys from beneath her upraised elbow.  "You'll feast me tonight, right?  I hope there's dancing."

Anonymous

Sometimes he wanted to just give her a good smack, for old times sake. But he was no longer a young boy with sharp nails and sharp teeth; now he was taller and stronger than his sister, with a longer reach and ten years of smithing supporting his strength so that even an unruned blade felt light in his hands. The Hornshunt tourney  would be a lot more interesting this next time around, because he would actually be participating as a knight. Which reminded him; at some point he might have to get around to choosing a squire. Although his armour was light enough at the moment for him to get into on his own, near enough, that wouldn't always be the case.

"Of course there's a feast planned," he replied, eventually, with a hurt look crossing his face. "Dancers, jesters, minstrels, the whole nine yards. I hope you've got something that isn't armour to wear, though. We are still at peace, after all."

She didn't have the energy? What the hell did she think he was surviving on? This feast would be a good one, of course, but he doubted he would make it through without drifting away with the faeries at least once; sure a nineteen year old could gowith less sleep than many, but this specific nineteen year old did an awful lot of physical work when he wasn't sleeping. He might not travel as much as his sister, but he sure as hell worked at least as hard.

Anonymous

Oh, Tarys.  He took everything she said so very literally.  Sometimes it made her feel almost fondly toward him... and sometimes it made her want to hurt him again.  Nowadays she'd have to wait until she had a sword or a lance in hand, something decorous and acceptable.  And something to balance his strength, too.  He'd become very large in the past few years.

"The whole nine yards and maybe the mast as well," she suggested, crooking her elbow through his and starting to pull him outside.  "Maybe we can have have a turn in the lists tomorrow, and I can break a lance on Sir Tarys Thandryon.  As for tonight, you wound me, brother."  

She put her free hand to her heart.  "Deeply.  In point of fact, I believe I have a dress, and I think it's not even made of metal.  I've also brought Ash and his Sir Xolan."

Anonymous

Tarys let himself be dragged outside; he was really to weary to argue, and that alone should give her some idea of how much he had put into her armour, because along with the time he'd spent on that, which was extensive, he had still been required to run a barony. Oh, sure he had his own network of people running around and getting things done, but he still had to oversee everything eventually. Vethrys might think that she wanted Stonesthrone, but really it had been given to the more suitable candidate for the job. they both knew that, even if neither of them said it out loud.

"My older sister in a dress?" he queried, as deadpan as he could muster, which meant he sounded more than a little weary. "Will wonders never cease?"

All he wanted was a bath and some food. And some sleep. Sleep would be good. But now she was informing him that Ash was here as well, which meant that he would have to put up with that bore Sir Xolan. He was sure that his sister dumped these things on him on purpose. Maybe she was trying to get him to crack, which was something that no Thandryon would ever dream of doing. Maybe she was trying to get him to prove his illegitimacy. Or maybe he was just too damned tired for all of this, and she had just wanted him to see his brother again. He did quite like Asharys, after all.

It was force of habit, mere muscle memory, that got the both of them from the armoury to the main keep, and after that it was a flask of water handed to him by his steward that kept him awake enough to show his sister to her quarters. Now that the heat and magic of the forge were wearing off, he felt like he could sleep for a week.

Anonymous

That he was going to settle down for the night did nothing for the destrier's foul temper.  It was a bit of stretch, claiming that Big Red Bastard was any less nasty when they were back at Sir Xolan's estate, Weirwood.  Back there he was lord of his own paddock and had the company of an old wether that would put his horns up Red's backside if he got too bossy.  As soon as they met up with Vethrys' party at the Horn Red declared war on her stallion and every other horse in the group that spent any time intact.  He spent most of the trip trumpeting challenges and testing the strength of the line tying him to the poor packhorse.  When they arrived at Stonesthrone he lunged, snapping, at the stablehand that approached him.  He bit air, but it convinced the stablehand to try his luck with another horse and distracted Red long enough for Asharys to grab hold of his halter and jog him over to the stables.  There wasn't much to do with Red, other than check his hooves and give him something he could put his teeth into once he was in a stall.  Red stamped each foot a few times before he would lift it and, thankfully, didn't have any stones.  He announced successfully walking into his stall with a ringing trumpet, looked left and right for neighbors to snort at and began nosing around for food.  The stablehands made sure there were stalls available with food and water, so Asharys left him to eat and went out for the other horses.

Sir Xolan had a knife in one hand and his palfrey's hoof in the other, he flicked a pebble loose as Asharys approached.  They brought four horses with them and a significant portion of his evening would be gone if he took care of them all by himself.  He liked to care for all the horses - it was his job to take care of Sir Xolan's horses.  Trouble was, Sir Xolan only really considered Red his horse.  Red was the horse he rode in tourneys and, if there was any trouble at the palace or any of the manses they visited on the way, Red was the horse he would ride to deal with it.  His palfrey got him from one place to the other and the packhorse carried everything he wasn't wearing or stashing in a saddlebag.  They were still horses, but they were more tools.  Interchangeable, without much of a difference between the old one and the new.  Someone, some other squire or another knight in their party, might see Sir Xolan tending to his own horse and accuse him of laziness.  

As usual, Sir Xolan grinned a little when he looked up and saw the look on his face.  "Get one of these boys to help you get everything unpacked, you should show up before the first course at your own brother's feast."  He sheathed his knife, let go of the palfrey's foot and started walking toward the fort after clapping him on the shoulder.

Tarys might be able to forgive him if he was running a little late.  He was a squire once, he knew what it was like and he was his brother.  This was the last place he needed to be seen shirking his duties off on others.  Asharys hustled.  He nearly dropped a saddle on his foot and in the end didn't turn away the stablehand that approached him as he began unpacking the pack horse.  The pack was wobbling too much, he didn't want to tell Sir Xolan that he disobeyed so he'd look better and being crushed by their pack would be completely shameful.  Once he wrestled their dress clothes free he scurried into the main building, wheeling through the guest chambers to find Sir Xolan where he found that, as he suspected, he'd been given his own.  It was next to Vethrys... and Sir Mirak.  At least the walls were thick.

He was on tiptoe as he got close to it, which was a little ridiculous.  If she was in her room and busy doing anything she wouldn't hear him out in the halls.  At least he hoped her hearing wasn't that good.  Sir Xolan heard him coming, but he was running then.  Now he was creeping, creeping his way into his room so he could get ready for the feast.  

Apparently he misjudged how much time he had.  He was combing his wet hair when Sir Xolan swaggered in, opening the door in the middle of a jape about saving the powder and curls for another day.

"My hair's still wet," he protested, reaching for the leather cord he tied it back with.

"No one cares about your hair your lordship." Sir Xolan's long, black hair was still damp, a few long wisps at his temples pasted against his face like spiderwebs.  "As long as it stays out of anyone's eye you're fine."

Asharys finished tying the cord around his hair and left with Sir Xolan, staring at his nails most of the way to the dining hall to make sure they were cut somewhat evenly.  They were ragged, but once the thin layers of nail on the end were scraped off they wouldn't look too bad.

They got to the dining hall a little early.  Their party was just trickling in, exchanging a few words before they made their way to the tables.  Asharys slowed down once he entered, looking around for his older brother.  When he saw him, Asharys stood on the balls of his feet for a moment and waved his arm up in the air before trotting over to him.  "Evening Tarys.  Are you going to make it to the last course?  You look exhausted."

He wondered if Tarys was in the middle of another project, or if the work of running Stonesthrone that made him look tired.  Hopefully it was the first.  Asharys liked to see the things Tarys created.

Anonymous

Vethrys ordered a hot bath and soaked until her fingers pruned, then stayed in a little longer.  She didn't stand up until the water had gone cold.  Then she dried herself off and dressed quickly.  She hadn't lied to her brother; she really had brought a dress, a light red-brown one with the gold embroidery she liked so much.  Vethrys didn't mind dresses at all.  She even enjoyed them, provided they weren't uncomfortable.  Her mother, on the other hand, had wanted to keep her in cheap, durable clothing as often as possible, given her tendency to destroy whatever she was wearing.  Vrenia had been very practical.  

Vethrys always thought about her mother when she saw Tarys.

Once she had finished dressing, she sat down at the desk in the room, took out some ink and a quill, and wrote a quick, broadly legible note, though the contents would look like nonsense to anyone who saw them.  She left it in plain view by the window ledge, turned toward the open window, then crossed to the door joining her room to Sir Mirak's.  She didn't knock.

"Aldrio," she said, leaning against the doorframe.  He was still getting dressed, but didn't seem surprised to see her, merely turned around, doing up his vest.  

"My Lady."

"I'm not going to pay much attention to you this evening."

"Very good."

He didn't have to look so smug about it.  I like you better in the dark, too.   "My brother's made me a suit of armor.  I'm very happy with it."  She was so happy she wanted to tell someone.  Not about the armor, obviously, but all of it.  She liked that Tarys had shown he belonged to her.  "Maybe I'll find him a wife."  

Aldrio was smirking at her.  

"Maybe I'll find you a wife too," Vethrys said, grinning.  She patted her skirts as if she were looking for something.  "Hold on, I think I've got something somewhere in here..."  

"I think that's something better than a wife."

"Too true."  Vethrys drew back.  "I'll see you later."  She shut the door in his face and started down to dinner.  She'd been talking to her father, and her brothers tended to be so honorable and dutiful... and she was going to talk to the High Lady Feyal in Altas Verde.  Vethrys had thought all the things her father worried about all the time were terribly boring, but she realized they started to seem a lot more interesting when you realized it was about winning just the way a joust was, once you got to the good bits.  Maybe she would ask Tarys for a tilt tomorrow anyway.  That would be fun.  He couldn't have gotten so good in a year and a half that he'd beat her.  He was her little brother.  

She got down to dinner and sat next to him in the place of honor, watching the rest of his court with interest.  Stonesthrone wasn't as big as the Horn, but it wasn't unimpressive.  It looked like most of his men and women were a good deal older than he was.  She wondered what they thought of him, and decided it was probably nothing good.  He worked so hard he wouldn't be able to spend enough time ingratiating himself, probably.  

She smiled when she saw Asharys rushing down with his knight-master.  She hadn't squired for anyone, just spent her time on training, but she'd had friends who had.  It was exhausting, frenetic work, but Ash seemed to take to it as if he thought it were the first step on some sort of path to great, shiny heroism.

"We can pinch him if he starts to nod off," she told her brother.  "Or you can stick him with your new sword."  Ruining surprises is so much fun.

Anonymous

Having seen his sister to her assigned rooms - he loved having even the most minute bits of control over her, and assigning a room was a slight bit of control - Tarys had pretty much collapsed in to his bath and hoped to die. He had sunk under the water for a full minute, emerging only when his body needed to breathe, and then ducking under the water again. Some enterprising servant had filled the bath with near-freezing water, and he would have to find out who it was and give them some trinket or another. The chill of the water had woken him up and chilled him from the heat of the forge, turning a murky colour as he cleaned himself up and made himself look more like a Baron than a commoner. It was more important for him to do this than any of his siblings, of course; given the rumours about his ancestry he had to make sure nobody got it into their heads to check.

Since this was a feast to celebrate the presence of his siblings in his fortress, it was formal wear that was required rather than armour. His choice of outfit was fully black from head to foot, except for the family crest emblazoned across his chest and the fine silver coronet on his head that wasn't the official sign of his rule here, but which was all that he was going to wear. Looking at his reflection in a silver-backed mirror he took a deep breath and sighed. He still looked like he'd gone ten rounds with a wild bear, but he felt a little more awake, and might make it to dessert.

As he left his room a servant approached him with a sword belt and a sheaved sword, the one he had runed for his brother. He took it with a nod and a smiled and headed down to the main hall. He didn't actually eat in the main hall as a rule, prefering to eat in his study or outside the forge despite a general disapproval from his steward, who most of the time drove him absolutely insane. He knew full well how to rule a Barony, but his steward thought that because he was nineteen he didn't know a gold mine from a lump of Faesteel ore. But that wasn't the case. He knew a lot of things about a lot of things.

Entering the hall he took his seat next to his sister, who was looking positively feminine for a change. Not that she usually looked masculine, but she wasn't exactly the most beautiful woman in Serendipity. He could say that out loud, she knew it herself already.

"You look good," he said with a smile as he placed the sword on the table with the hilt away from her. The seat to his left was still empty, and he smiled as Asharys rushed to the table to take the seat, enquiring about Tarys' own energy levels.

"I'll be fine, little brother," he said. "But if you stick me with your new sword I'll beat you down so hard Sir Xolan will still be wincing in a month."

The knight whom his brother squired for was sat further down the table where Tarys didn't have to talk to him, a prudent measure from his steward's aide, who was a woman that he quite liked. Thank the gods for her. Tarys stood before his brother could sit and picked up the sword, reversing it and holding it across his forearm for his brother to take the hilt.

"Older sister required an entire suit of armour," he said. "But as a squire you only really require a new sword. Runed for balance and strength. Enjoy."

Anonymous

Asharys froze, his hands on the back of the chair when his sister told him to just poke Tarys with his sword if he fell asleep.  His thoughts after that were a blur.  That she was poking fun and calling the dagger he carried a sword.  That Tarys was a smith.  That Vethrys could be right.  He looked from her to Tenrys, eyebrows raised and teeth in his bottom lip to keep his mouth from falling slack.

She was right.

It wasn't often that Asharys found himself hoping Vethrys was right about something.  He didn't have any time to muse over the rareness of that occurrence.  Tarys made him a sword.  He had a sword of his own, of course.  It was just a sword though, plain as plain could be.  One step up from a blunted practice sword, something a knight might use in a melee if they wanted a flaming sword and didn't care to get one specially enchanted.  This was a nice sword, with runes and made of good material and everything.  He would have had a better quality sword earlier if he trained at the Horn.  Sir Xolan didn't believe in arming children with good faesteel, no matter what their parents thought was appropriate.  Even what his faerie father thought... only that just applied to his own children.  

Asharys grinned when Tarys stood and offered him the sword, tracing a finger down the tang before putting his hand around the hilt.  Would it be appropriate to draw the sword now?  As long as he restrained himself from running down the table to beg Sir Xolan to spar, which would get him one of those horrible bruising pinches and embarrass himself and the entire family, he'd be in line.  Asharys drew it just a little, enough to see a bit of the blade and imagine he could feel the runes making it a part of his own, stronger arm.  He whistled, low and shrill, trying to look like he really knew how good the sword was and wasn't just relying on hearsay about his brother's skill, general runed sword knowledge and his own vivid expectations of how great the sword was.  It was perfect, down to the little hiss it made when he slid it back in the scabbard.  "Thank you Tar- My Lord Baron."  There were more people in the hall now and though it was fine to call his own brother by his name occasionally, he was just a squire and he was the Baron of Stonesthrone.  He had to show him some respect.  "It's a magnificent sword."

He slid his hand further down the scabbard to take hold of it when Tarys let go of it, pulling it next to him as he sat down.  As soon as he was seated he glanced down the table to see if Sir Xolan was watching.  Asharys couldn't tell, he was too busy talking to his neighbor.  Oh well, it was better that he didn't know.  Asharys could talk his ears off about it later.

He was going to need a new sword belt.

The feast was starting to turn into a dreadful obstacle to actually testing his new sword.  Asharys tried not to fidget.  He was a man, not a child, and had to have some composure.  He couldn't resist running his thumb across the pommel of the sword, swishing it around and around in a circle.

Anonymous

Vethrys sat back in her chair, crossing her legs restlessly.  She folded her arms, running the thick callous on her thumb over the knots of the embroidery.  It was stupid to be jealous when she'd just gotten new armor of her own, but she did admire Ash's sword.  His fervent enthusiasm and obvious impatience amused her, because they reminded her of herself.  At least some of the Thandryons had taken after Therys instead of her son.

"It is beautiful," she agreed, lowering her voice to a half-whisper gentler than her usual growl.  She laid a hand on Tarys's shoulder.  "We're lucky to have such a brother."

The servants had come forward to fill their wine goblets.  The room had filled with denizens of Stonesthrone.  Vethrys looked around with interest, taking in her brother's people.  She nodded at her brother's steward, smiled in passing at Sir Xolan, and let her eyes pass coldly over Sir Mirak, who had just flashed one of his politely sideways smiles at the knight beside him.  A small page darted back after filling the last cup above the salt.

Vethrys waited for the flurry of motion to still before she leaned away from Tarys to lift her goblet.

"To the health and prosperity of House Thandryon and Stonesthrone," she said, gravel rolling under her words.  

She smiled at Ash, then cut the flicker of a glance toward Tarys, who would wait to drink until she did; he was Baron, but she was Heir Apparent.  Never forget which comes first.  Vethrys lifted her cup and drank, watching her brother over its rim and waiting for him to accept the toast.  He looked like death, his pallor brought out by the black clothing he wore.  Had she been in his place she would never have forged the armor, and she would've worn the Stonesthrone colors to boot...

... but then, Vethrys thought herself very lucky not to be in Tarys's place.

Anonymous

Tarys was glad to have the approval of both his siblings over the sword, even if Sir Xolan didn't approve. Sir Xolan could, quite frankly, go play with himself if he thought that the know knighted Sir Tarys Thandryon, Baron Stonesthrone, gave a damn about what he thought. There was a reason why the man was sat half way down the table, and it wasn't because of any kind of seniority thing. The smiths tarys worked with day in and day out, if they had some magical ability, were sat closer to the Baron to whom they were bondsmen than Sir Xolan was. Holding the sword belt and sheath out towards Ash, who was obviously a little lost when it came to figuring out such things, he shot a glance at his sister as she mentioned something about being lucky to have him as a brother. Asharys had never been one of what Tarys secretly called the Bastard Brigade, but Vethrys could be more than a little vocal about his ancestry at times. Never in public, not yet, but there was a chance for everything.

"I was simply reminded that I had my first sword at ten and Vethrys had hers at twelve. And there you were, sixteen and inadequately armed. Well, inadequately armed for someone who is the brother of Fallial's leading nineteen year old mage-smith."

As far as he knew, he was Fallial's only nineteen year old mage-smith, but people could deal with that any way they chose; it was unlikely that they would call him out on it since he was the baron of Stonesthrone. Vethrys might casually research it when she had some time, but it was unlikely that it would come back to bite him in the ass.

The flurry of motion was enough to catch his attention properly, and he stood as straight and tall as he could, which was pretty damned straight and tall. His sister propsed the toast and he nodded his head once as he held up his goblet.

"To Thandryon and Stonesthrone," he declared, waiting for his sister to take a sip of the wine before he did. His voice was stronger than hers, but then it would be; he had the good sense to keep his throat protected when he was jousting. Not that he was going to say that out loud. He was aware that he had picked Thandryon colours over Stonesthrone colours, and for once saw approval of this in his steward's eyes; in Thandryon colours he might look like death warmed up, but in Stonesthrone colours he looked like a complete jester. And a dead one at that.

"Stonesthrone, tonight we welcome the heir apparent of Fallial, my sister Vethrys Thandryon, and my younger brother, squire to Sir Xolan, Asharys Thandryon. Let nobody be able to say that we do not know how to give a welcome!"

He wasn't up for this. He was half dead. But he couldn't give that impression in front of his bondsmen and his siblings, so he was pulling on every bit of energy he still had and put it into making sure that he didn't let the barony down. He didn't need to give his sister any more reasons to get snarky, after all.

"Let the feast begin!"