Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

A Little Rain

Started by Lion, March 17, 2014, 05:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

A little rain never hurt anybody.  And it certainly wouldn't stop anyone on a night like this from having a good time. That was the idea at the little soiree that Jude had been standing in the rain for with an umbrella as a valet came to the door and opened it for him.  The high end, more metropolitan section of Uthlyn – the vacation townhouses and apartment getaways of the noble and rich – was made just for nights like these.  It wasn't Reajh, that was for sure, but Uthlyn had certain energy to it brought about by the freedom of thought that drifted through the evening air.

The rain poured down in soft sheets, but overall it drenched those not prepared with umbrellas and overcoats, as more and more came toward the door of the large manor house on the end of the street.  Some of them complained of the water, but for the most part they were too giddy with the promise of self-indulgence to give it more notice than a whine or two.  One by one, pairs and threes and fours poured into the manor, laughing and a small string quartet was playing exuberantly in the corner of the main entrance hall, as people gathered for drinks and what knick-knacks they could stuff into their mouths in light of the festivities.

Jude always made a habit of arriving to any such gathers as early as possible so that he could scope out who came and who went.  There were some familiar faces,  and many he couldn't quite place a name just yet.  But he would, it was just a matter of time really.  He spoke idly with the hostess,  one Lady Nearra Rowarti, and exchanged a few new lines of gossip, but it wasn't anything interesting enough to follow up on.  He didn't know what kind of gossip he could expect at a young woman's social debut.

But it was always good to stay up-to-date on the latest newcomers to the socials of High Society.  In fact, he only had ever seen but a glimpse of young Nearra Rowarti's daughter, she seemed more elusive than even he.  He supposed nobody could blame anyone else for shyness if one's own mother went out of her way to throw a great big party to present you to the world, without really asking how they felt about it.  Jude smirked at the idea, amused and pulled himself away from the rowdy circles of laughter of conversation, taking his time to wander around the house, until somehow he found himself in the quiet of the library.

The guards seemed to have no qualms about letting guests wander where they pleased.  Which was well and good until somebody got hurt of course.  Thankfully the library was largely free of trespassers and Jude enjoyed the quiet as he poured over the various volumes that Lady Nearra had in her collection, moving toward the rear of the shelves and only momentarily noticing the young woman in the corner of it.  He gave a charming smile, throwing it her way.

"And what's a pretty thing like you hiding out in the back of this place?" he said with an idle laugh.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

zozee9

Sevda closed her eyes and listened to the rain pound against the roof of their manor. If only there was thunder to match it... then maybe the whole party would be canceled. But she knew such thoughts were foolish. Even if a hurricane was blasting through the city, every last guest would be sure to arrive. After all, it was her 'debut into society', as her mother liked to call it. What a silly thing.

Lifting up her chin, Sevda imagined the rain falling down upon her face and the beads rolling down her body. It felt refreshing, sweet, and natural. Until, that is, it reached her tail. Opening up her eyes, she remembered why she had made her way to the corner of the library in the first place. Her mother, the spiteful lady that she was, banned her from returning to her room until the end of the night. But the moisture in the air from the rain weighed down her tail and she needed to do something about it.

If only she was like all the other girls. When she was little, Sevda used to watch them from her window. She'd imagine they were all together, playing with dolls and chasing each other around and daydreaming about boys. But that was a luxury she never got. It was a risk she could never take.

Sevda reached back and started readjusting her feathers, still deep in thought. She would give anything to not have her tail anymore. Nobility, wealth, power—none of it mattered anyway. She had no friends, no love, no trust. Not even her own mother seemed to appreciate her. Nobody at the party would understand. They would all tell her how lucky she was to have a mother that would spend so much money and time planning this event. Every little detail was worked to perfection, from the invites to the sweets to the outfits. The party was, without a doubt, a masterpiece.

But it wasn't a masterpiece for herself. While it might be under the pretext of her debut, Sevda knew it was just an excuse for her mother to gain respect amongst other nobles. Even still, she had to play the role of the pretty and polite porcelain doll. If only they all knew about the long crack hiding under the stifling clothes.

A voice cut through the silence of her thoughts and Sevda couldn't help but let out a squeal. Her hands rushed to smoothen the back of her emerald green dress as she made sure her tail was fully covered. Somehow, in the midst of her thoughts, somebody had entered the library without her even noticing! And, she realized, had heard her just squeal.

While every one of Sevda's instincts told her to hide farther and farther into the corner until she simply vanished, she knew such a thing wouldn't be possible. Instead, she took a deep breath put on a dignified demeanor. Jude Armand... well, she could have been discovered by someone worse.

Sevda curtsied and politely replied, "I apologize, I was just putting away one of my books. I hadn't realized that guests were already arriving." She was tempted to just leave, but she knew that her mother would get mad if she wasn't at least a little agreeable. "I am Lady Sevda Rowarti... and you are?"
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Lion

"Ahh, so this is where you're hiding out then, eh?  Can't say I blame you.  A party to celebrate your social debut can be quite daunting, especially what with all the people likely to try and wiggle their way into your good graces.  But there's nothing wrong with the quietude of a library," Jude remarked as he stepped forward and politely took her hand in his.  He brought it to his lips to kiss it gently before releasing it.

"My name is Jude Armand.  Lucky for you, I'm not a noble, though I am a man of means," he smirked at her and took a small sip of his wine.  "I have been told, however, that I do make quite an impression.  So you're organizing your books and you're hiding from your party.  Don't worry, your secret's safe with me."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

zozee9

Sevda glanced at him and pointedly responded, "It is not a secret because I am not hiding." A small lie never hurt. Her life was practically a lie, anyway.

"I must say, I am surprised my mother invited someone who is not a noble. However, Sir Jude, I am afraid that the party is primarily happening outside of the library." She paused and then added, "And seeing as you seem not to be the quiet type, perhaps you should go back to the party." And leave her alone.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Lion

Jude knew when he wasn't wanted.  But perhaps his curiosity was getting the better of him as he glanced at the girl from an angle before taking another opportune sip of wine.  "Well, I would, but it seems the parlor and sitting rooms are getting rather full up I'm afraid.  Even I enjoy my space away from it all.  Once can only enjoy a crowd so much before madness ensues.  I apologize for troubling, I shall refrain from bothering you further if only you will let me enjoy your presence," he said and bowed his head to the girl.  He gave her a smile and busied himself with perusing the bindings of the books on the shelf beside him.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn