Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

To Eckhart, From Hildegarde

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, March 25, 2017, 03:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Are you finished yet, boy?"

Eckhart sighed. "I shouldn't have to put up with this." He had met a young homeless woman on the side of the road that morning, and her limp and her bloodstained clothes had caused Eckhart to offer her his help. She'd reluctantly agreed, but she had taken to insulting him at every turn. She had an odd air of superiority around her, and Eckhart suspected she was either an exiled noblewoman or an escaped political prisoner. The two were sitting under a willow tree just off the beaten path, as the woman had insisted on privacy. At the moment she had her shirt off, and Eckhart was applying a poultice to a nasty looking gash on her back. "You're really banged up, this could take at least another hour." he replied. "This wound is infected, you need to clean it regularly so dirt doesn't get inside. How did you get it?"

The woman glowered at him. "That's none of your business, you worm. Your only job is to heal my injuries and make yourself scarce. Didn't you say you knew healing magic?" 

Eckhart was about to make a snide comment, but a small voice from behind them made both Eckhart and the woman jump. "Heh... So you must be Eckhart then. I've been looking for you."

Quickly turning around, Eckhart discovered that the voice belonged to a leather clad teenage boy. A small bird was perched on the boy's head, causing the dramatic pose the teenager was striking to look more ridiculous than anything. "Um... hi." said Eckhart nervously. "You know who I am?"

The boy flashed a grin. "Oh yes, your sister told me all about you."

Eckhart's eyes widened. "M-my sister?" he asked, mind racing.  "I haven't heard from her in years, even after all the letters I sent her. Why now?"

The teenager nodded and handed Eckhart a bright pink envelope. "She wanted me to give you this." Eckhart quickly tore it open, but hesitated for a few moments before reading what was inside.

The homeless woman coughed loudly. "Can't you read that later?"

Eckhart shook his head. "No. I've been waiting too long already." Finally steeling himself, he opened the parchment and was greeted by Hildegarde's loopy handwriting.

Transcript in case you have trouble reading that font:
Dear Eckhart

I hope you've been well. I'm sorry for not answering your letters, I was worried if you knew what I was up to you'd try to find me. As hard as it is to admit after the last time we talked, I worry about you often. You were never much of a fighter, and the thought of you being in Serendipity by yourself makes me very nervous.

I know about your run in with the dragon, my lieutenant was in the bar with you when you told the pink haired girl. Coincidentally, that girl is one of the dragon's agents. If she shows up again, do not trust her. I've had a "talk" with the dragon and convinced her to stay away from you, but I fear she still may try to exact revenge somehow. Her family may also try to target you, and they're all more dangerous than she is. Your magic is weak and has no combat uses, and if you tried to fight them you'd almost certainly be killed.

Eckhart, I need you to go home. You need to lay low and stop drawing any attention to yourself, be it good or bad. I would feel much safer knowing you were in Hyoite where they couldn't get to you- dragons are cold blooded, they can't survive up there unless they're of the fire breathing variety, which these ones aren't. Please, please do this for me, I couldn't live with myself if you died. I know I said a lot of things the last time we met, but I want you to know that I will never stop loving you, no matter what happens.

Be nice to Ignatius, he's annoying but he's a good kid.

~Hildegarde Von Musel
[close]

Eckhart felt a rush of emotions overcome him. "She still loves me! And she's keeping an eye on what I'm doing too!" After the initial joy, a look of uncertainty crossed his face. "But the dragon still wants me dead. I'm not sure how Hildegarde managed to convince her to leave me alone, but she's right about the dragon's family. I can't go home either, Jaela said one of the dragons was a cryomancer, he'd have no problems going to Hyoite to kill me- plus then he'd kill mom and dad too. It'd be safer for me to stay on the move." Eckhart scowled at the thought of Jaela- he had really liked her, but it would seem their friendship was fake from the very start. "Bitch."

Looking at the teenager who he supposed was the "Ignatius" Hildegarde mentioned, Eckhart began to pry for more information. "So, what did my sister say to the dragon? Do you know?"

Ignatius laughed. "Oh, it was more than a talk! Lady Hildegarde beat her up!" Ignatius explained excitedly. Encouraged by Eckhart's laughter, he continued. "Your sister hates those dragons, so she was exited for the opportunity to fight one of them. She said that since that entire family is in shambles now, she could finally get away with killing them without fear of retaliation from the oldest sister." He paused. "I'm not sure why she let the dragon live though."

Eckhart grinned at the boy. "I'm not really sure what the dragon was expecting to happen. I mean, I was able to beat her, and I'm just a healer. What made her think she could take on my sister?" Eckhart laughed. "I have nothing to worry about, Hildegarde is overreacting. If she's looking out for me, I'll be safe. She's probably the most powerful magic user in Le'raana, how could I not be safe?"

Standing up, Eckhart clapped Ignatius on the shoulder. "Thank you. Tell Hildegarde that I'll be safe, and that I love her. And tell her to send more letters, because I miss her."

Ignatius looked at Eckhart as if in awe, then nodded excitedly. "I will! It was nice to meet you Eckhart!"

The teenager left as quickly as he arrived, and Eckhart turned back to the woman he had been helping. She was glowering at him, clearly upset by being made to wait. "Sorry about that," he said apologetically as he sat back down and began to apply the poultice once more. "I hadn't heard from my sister in years, I couldn't wait any longer. Family matters, y'know?"

The woman seemed to hesitate for a moment before saying "Yes, it does." She was strangely quiet for the next hour and a half, only answering questions such as "On a scale of one to ten, how much does this hurt?" and "How does it feel now?" When Eckhart had finally finished, she stormed off without so much as a thank you. "What was that about?"

Ultimately, Eckhart didn't let the odd woman's behavior bother him too much. A new chapter of his life had begun, and Eckhart was feeling happier then he had in years...

Tags: