Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Thunderstruck (OPEN! PM To Join!)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, June 26, 2017, 06:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

It was pouring rain. Lightning flashed overhead, and the thunder that followed was deafening. Undeterred, ALICE FURY slowly climbed up the metal structure he had discovered the day before. He wasn't sure who had built it, but he understood it's purpose- it was a lightning rod.

Now, most people don't stand on top of giant metal towers in the middle of a thunderstorm- but ALICE FURY isn't most people. He had ran into a Knight of the White Lily last week, and the encounter had caused him to discharge all of his electrical power. ALICE needed to recharge, and this was the most efficient way to do it. 

Upon reaching the top, ALICE pulled his lyre from underneath his robe and waited. The tower, which had been built rather precariously, teetered in the wind. Finally, with a loud *CRASH*, it happened. Electricity surged through the tower before being absorbed by ALICE, who began to play a deafening riff on his lyre. He poured all of his happiness into the instrument, and the resulting song would've caused even the grumpiest Mordecai to crack a smile.

Unfortunately his music was cut short when the tower collapsed beneath his feet. "AH! Fucking cocksucker!" ALICE screamed as he tumbled to the ground. Landing in a puddle of mudd, he groggily looked up to see an angry man in a pointy wizard hat running towards him.

You piece of shit!" the man screamed as he lobbed an ice spike at ALICE's head, missing him by inches. "Do you have any idea how many years that ritual took for me to set up? I would've gotten the power I need to kill the Grand Duke and win the war! AND YOU RUINED IT!"

"Ha! You bet your ass I ruined it!" ALICE yelled back as he began to run away. In reality he had no idea what he'd ruined, but this guy had a major stick up his ass- he probably deserved to be infuriated. "The Grand Duke doesn't die until he admits that I'm a better musician than he is!"

"Your music sucks! You have no talent!" the man shouted angrily as he dramatically raised his arms. A wall of ice suddenly materialized in front of ALICE, cutting off the bard's escape route. ALICE had no choice but to turn and face the wizard, who was approaching him with a maniacal grin on his face. "Oh, I'll make you pay. Do you have any idea how much water you're surrounded by?"

ALICE FURY smiled and raised his lyre defiantly, strumming a few chords. "Bring it on then, pussy!"

"Fuck, now what? This is bad, I'll die if I don't think of something quick."

Soran Arroe

Maika was grumpy.  It was windy, and she'd been walking for miles.  The tower had looked so close from the city - it was hard to miss across the vast and level landscape of the valley.  But the further she walked, the more she'd realized it wasn't really a casual hike.  It was just that huge.  Her leg was starting to protest all the work, the juncture between her metal shin and knee chafing with overuse. 

'I'm going to have to redesign you again,' she thought with a disparaging glance at the appliance.  This was the 8th model, and frankly, the best of its kind.  It was her pride and joy, and yet the thought of the materials she might acquire when she reached the tower made her perfectly gleeful about scrapping it and building #9. 

A giant, abandoned metal structure in the middle of no-man's land?  Yes, please.  She couldn't wait to thump on it and see what it was made from (and what could be loosened with the tools she had on hand!)  Her empty pack thumped hungrily against her back as she pressed on.  Could it be iron?  No, it would be rusted by now.  Nickel?  Too impractical.  She mused over the possibilities, getting more and more eager as she could finally make out the details of the structure.  Just a little way further!  She put a hop in her step, all but drooling about investigating this thing. 

A clap of thunder overhead drew her attention upward.  With the high winds, weather patterns crossed these plains often, and quickly.  Now that it had her attention, the storm was obvious, looming rapidly toward her location.  A sprinkle of rain splashed down from overhead. 

'Eight, we've gotta problem,' she acknowledged warily, walking faster.  Another roar pealed over the landscape.  It was getting dark, fast.  "Crap," she muttered in a thin voice, and bolted for the tower. 

She had nearly reached it, when a skewer of light arched down from the heavens directly above the tower.  Metal groaned angrily under the strike, while the thunderclap nearly knocked her breath out.  She staggered slowly back from the collapsing tower, thoroughly soaked. 

A metal heap was no place to be in a storm, but she'd come so far.  She'd come here to salvage, and she was going to salvage, damn it.  She edged carefully around the structure, peering upward.  She had to look twice to accept what she noticed then on the tower.  Two men appeared to be fighting, and one was using magic.  Who in their right mind would use magic in this kingdom?  It was a miracle they weren't dead, for multiple reasons. 

"Hey!  Stop fighting and get off that thing!" she tried to shout up at them.  As expected, her voice started out strong, but gave out into a hiss halfway through her warning.  Frustrating, not being able to yell when she needed to.  Were they insane?  "Get down, you idiots!"  She picked up a stone by her foot and threw it up toward where they were standing.

Tags: