Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Taverns & cold nights, what more can there be?[Open!]

Started by Anonymous, December 29, 2009, 01:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

This was his life now, wasn't it? Though it is not like Belenus Lost had anything else to compare it to. His mind would always draw a blank when attempting to think further past the day he woke up as himself(As opposed to any other day he woke up as someone else?). The days spent on Arca's streets were long and tiring. His experiences were filled with cold nights and often in the rain where sleep was a blessed sight should it ever come(If one looked at the dark bags under his eyes it should be apparent what usually came). Though the mornings were not better. He filled with dread as he would pat down his clothing making sure all his belongings, how little they were, were still his belongings and checking if all his body parts were indeed in all the right places -- or where he had left them the night before. That was when he slept. In the few moments where Belenus opened his eyes to a dim, dirty, and smelly street he wished he was somewhere else, and could swear he knew the warmth of a bed. In the end it drifted away and all he was left was the cold.

Currently the sky above him and the city of Arca filled with clouds casting shadows over the faces and bodies of the citizens and on the cobbles of the streets. And Belenus stood at a corner, near a tavern(Though he doesn't drink. Can't afford it!), holding up a sign made from planks of wood. It read:

Will work.

That's all. No 'Will work for food', 'Will work for shelter', 'Will work for a bath', or 'Will work for a better pair of shoes(though not necessarily new)', though he sorely needed all of those things. It was just 'Will work.' Albeit the sign wasn't entirely original, it was at least spelt correctly. He thought that gave him some merit. For honesty's sake, he had been tempted to scribble more under the words, in his nearly unreadable chicken scratch. But the sentient compass, named Found, which laid hanging off a gold chain around his neck, advised against it by twirling its pointers frantically when Belenus had moved to write – on his behalf, Found had already been irate with him do to what he had to do to get the planks of wood. It thought adding: Will not murder, rape, or pillage with a scrawl of a winking smiling face beside it would tip its master's moral compass(Figuratively and literally depending on one's impression of Found)to bad places.

The tavern wasn't even open yet, but he figured that the early bird gets the worm and usually there were always a few people passing through the streets during the day, albeit shadier and weirder in this part of the city. The odder the more interesting the work is! He would reason with himself, and to Found whom was always forced to listen. Though, he suspected that those all thought he was some hapless drunkard who can't tell time. He couldn't blame them. The image he was presenting was not the most cleanly, then again the streets were his reluctant home.

He sighed forlornly, and shifted his grip on the wooden planks with his bandaged up hands(Which should give a good explanation on where he had gotten his 'sign'...).

What he wouldn't give for a warm bed...

Anonymous

Rel who just now opening his shop look outside to see if there where an potential customers or the more well known customers to his magic shop. But sadly there were none in site all there was was a man holding a sign with the word (in horid hand writing) 'Will Work'. Rel thought back to when he last had some help other than his twin sister. NEVER, "wow" Rel thought " i have never had any help around the shop other than his sis.

Rel then quickly but not to quickly walked over to the man, his mages robe billowing out from behind. "Sir, I noticed that you'll work. would you mind helping around my shop?" pointing to the tower across the street down the way "It really is a hassle when me and my sister are the only two working. So how bout it?"

Anonymous

Argh, his feet hurt. He shifted his weight from one poor looking shoe to the next, not being able to find any sort of relief for the weariness. Argh, his hands hurt. The bandages covering the palms of his hands were scraps, or became scraps once he himself had gotten to them, of someone's poor shirts he had nicked from a clothesline. Blotches of blood from the wounds of splinters seeped through, unable to heal well because of the place in which they were situated. The whole wood plank thing sounded like a good idea at the time, but now as the day wore on and all his pain and hard work seemed to be for naught, the pang of regrets began to form at the pit of Belenus' stomach.

And then, through the small throng of a crowd on the street a figure shouldered through. Belenus' squinted at them, then squinted some more. Still squinting. They seemed to be coming towards him.

Wait.

Towards him?!

Belenus adjusted his glasses and lowered his sign as the young man(For the figure seemed to hold an appearance much younger than his own, though one could never be too sure at all really! Magic could do wondrous things...)drew closer, then stopped.

"Sir, I noticed that you'll work. would you mind helping around my shop?"

The young man pointed, and Belenus slowly followed his gesture with his eyes. "Eh?" He said dumbly, raising an eyebrow.

"It really is a hassle when me and my sister are the only two working. So how bout it?"

"Really now?" Belenus said, his eyes still on the tower, he raised a hand up to scratch at his head, nearly in complete disbelief of what was happening. The young man looked...Well, he did not look like the sort of people he was used to seeing. Belenus could describe him as being respectable, and that demeanor showed in the way the man addressed him. Addressed him with 'sir'; a word that pulled on a memory he had forgotten long ago. He turned his gaze back. "You do know...I'm uh, a stranger correct?"

Other people would readily jump at a job that is seemingly handed to them with absolutely no strings attached, however, the wheels of Bel's mind turning his thoughts refused to let him think it was that easy. Nothing was that easy. If it was, he would not have been living off the street. He smiled wearily. "What's the catch? Back breaking work? Poor conditions? Malicious magical experiments?"

Anonymous

"No, no i just need someone help around with  helping the customers and inventory. and if your good at it i will pay you and give you a place to stay" Rel explained and noticing that the man was living in the streets " so will you accept?"

Anonymous

"No, no I just need someone help around with helping the customers and inventory. and if your good at it I will pay you and give you a place to stay."

Belenus thought about this, and watched the expression on the young man's face, perhaps trying to catch the semblance of a lie. Running over the words in his mind, he looked over each scenario. And after a few moments pause he finally gave a long tired sigh.

"So will you accept?"

"You offer me a job, do not give your name nor do you ask mine." He said, his smile ever wide on his face and not faltering as he spoke. "I...Appreciate your offer. But pity is not what I need or seek." He drummed his fingers on his sign and turned his gaze to the dirty street. "I will not accept your offer to stay with you. A job however..." Belenus gave a salute, a terribly bad one at that and with the wrong hand. "I will warn you I've never worked in a shop before!"  

If Found could sigh, it would have, instead its pointers dropped to the bottom of its compass form.

((And my posts get shorter and shorter... >_<))

Anonymous

"Well if its a name you want fine, My name is Relyks Sharansar i am a fire mage and my sister is Trena Sharansar an ice mage. we both run the Icefire Enchantment which is the tower over there" pointing back to the shop/house/tower "but i am also curios about you name?"