Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Serpent In Chains (Draccy)

Started by Lion, February 21, 2010, 10:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

He couldn't say that he was expecting a palace.  It'd had been about a decade since he'd come to Arca and in that time the city itself had changed so much.  He knew the old shops and where many of the streets were, going down many of them to sell what skins he had and traveled all the way back through Adela to his homeland just to bring the profits of his trade to the village.  There were so many things about this venture that reminded him of the times of old.  The way his feet struck the stoned streets and the people that gawked at him strangely as if he was some demon.  The gazes hadn't changed, they still glare at him oddly, some even scurrying away and others gossiping.

But this time was different.  He wasn't here to trade skin or crafts he'd created, he was here to be thrown into the city prison.  In the days that past, the silence between him and his captor had not been a comfortable one on his part, and he said nothing aside from the occasional word of necessity indicating a river or a stream or thanking her for the rations she shared with him.  He knew his days were numbered and there was little motivation to do anything about him.

Hysaeda had been dragged from her horse as if he were a slave to be sold on the market, he didn't resist them, but forced them with his body and strength to let him stand upright on his own.  As they led him down to streets to be carted away, he walked with dignity, his head high and he looked straight at anyone that dared met his gaze.  He would enter the prison with his sense of pride and he would not let them break him down.  Hysaeda knew that he would probably be killed in a few weeks, whenever they scheduled for him a trial or an instant execution.  He hoped it would be the latter; it was obvious they would make it so that all evidence stood against him.

He said not a word when one of the soldiers questioned him, asking his name.  He'd been dragged to a dark building that was built into the walls of a stone fortress, something that resembled a military fort.  Perhaps this was the barracks that Adalia spoke off.  Lost in thought for a moment, it wasn't until the guard spoke to him again that he met him with a glare.  "You're name, godsdammit. Don't make me beat it out of you!"  His cold grey eyes stared deep into Hysaeda's amber-reds.

Summoning up as much saliva as he could, he spat at the guards face and it was then that he felt a club come down on his head.  His vision flickered with specks of white as he was carted off down a stony hall.  He could feel his legs being dragged across wet stone, and suddenly the stench of mildew struck his nostrils when he came through.  They tossed him into the last cell on at the end of the hall and the clank of steel and chains were so loud, they resonated off the stone of the prison structure.  When he opened his eyes, his eyes were met with utter darkness and he heard the main guard laugh when he said, "A few days in there and you'll be telling us your name soon enough.  The warden will be coming down soon and then you'll be talking."

That was two days ago.  In the time that he'd been thrown in there and locked away, the only light he saw was the one in the tiny barred window that was too narrow for even a cat to fit through.  The air was thick with the sweat and moans of fellow prisoners trying to make a distraction for themselves.  Hysaeda sat there, refusing to eat the porridge that they served him.  The guard that brought the meal every time down his section of hallway was met only with a glare and deafening silence.  This time, he just dropped it through the bars and didn't bother to look at the Umbraeon that sat in the corner away from the light.  Hysaeda's eyes glowed outwardly like a demon lurking in the shadows.

He heard footsteps coming down the usually empty hall.  The other prisoners occupied the other wings, but it was rare for anyone to come here except for the occasional guard.  A woman appeared with black hair and black eyes, and a pale pinched face.  Yes, he remembered now.  Serendipity was a country filled with albinos.  He didn't think this one was any different from the rest.  She looked at Hysaeda with warm, angry eyes, but with a discretion that seemed to be that of quiet joy in seeing him behind bars.  "So you're the newest addition," she said, pulling something out of her pocket.  Looking it over she nodded.  "Hysaeda was it?  The lead guard of this wing told me that's what you said after they beat it out of you.

"You're the first drow I've seen in my life, you know.  A rare catch.  If you weren't already set up for execution, I would have thought you'd make a nice slave to add to the market."

"I'm not a drow," he growled, baring his teeth at her from beneath scarred and cut lips where brutal blows had made their landing.  Hysaeda did not move for the sake of his ribs that were still sore.  If he'd crawled into the light, one could easily see the cuts and bruises that covered most of his body.  His left eye was still sore and swollen.

"It doesn't really matter what you are.  As long as you're a prisoner in my ward, you're scum just like every other lost soul here.  I'm Warden Quijira, by the way.  And I'd stay in the light if I were you.  It will be the last you'll see it for a long time.  And you have a visitor scheduled to come in today.  Someone who knows you, I'm guessing."  She winked a black eye at him then stood and strode down the hallway.

Hysaeda got up carefully, clutching his side and crawled to the bars of his cell, looking down the way the warden came.  "Who would be coming to see me?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Rage wasn't a good enough word to describe how purely pissed she was.

Adalia clenched her fist and she felt her nails dig into her palm, the bit still there under the fabric of the gloves. The remainder of the day after Hysaeda had been taken to the prison had been her going back to her own home and trying to think up a brilliant plan on getting him out. Well, it was. Adalia fell asleep on the bed clothed in the dirty outfit. The second day was for plans, she bathed, changed then marched off to the person who she needed to convince.

It didn't turn out well. They labelled her as quite a few things. None of them nice and a few of them questioning her sanity. A week with a man had turned her loony. She was completely and utterly gullible, there was no such thing as freaky tentacle monsters. No such thing as a prisoner who'd help their captor.

Adalia kicked over a crate on her way to the prison. She had to request to visit. Request. Her! She was his damn captor! She should have been allowed to see the Umbraeon bastard whenever she damn well wanted to!

Since Adalia was at home and off-duty, that meant her all powerful parents insisted she dress like a lady. Soldier Adalia didn't suit her. Lady Adalia even less. A tight corset, her hair was up in a ponytail, keeping her opal hair off her face. Showing off the obvious fae and elf heritage on her face, hair, pointed ears. Even her canines had the slighest extra point to them, some strange fae back there. Probably a scary one that ate meat.

Patting down the front of her dress she lifted her head and walked down to the area she knew where Hysaeda was being held. Guilt lumped its self in her throat and she closed her eyes for a moment before biting her lower lip and knocking on the door. A guard opened an area in the door and looked down at her, she smiled and the door opened.

Adalia would have to remember how easily these guards opened doors for ladies. Or people in general.  Once she got to the area with the cells she quickly looked through the bars for the large dark man. A lot of creepy people, but not her's so far.

It wasn't until she got to the end that she bit her lip and leaned downwards, her fingers going around the bars as she slowly lowered herself to sit on her heels. Adalia looked like the image of a lady, her neck and shoulders were exposed in her dress, the scratches barely visible anymore, a choker with a gem hanging down. It was hardly suitable in a dungeon, Adalia didn't want to imagine what she'd given the other male prisoners incentive to do later that night.

"Hysaeda." Her fingers tightened around the bars and lowered her gaze, "I'm sorry. I tried to get them to listen to me but they just... Ignored me. Said that you did horrible things to me and said that killing you was for my own good and..." Adalia swallowed and she smacked the bars loudly. "I'm sorry. I'm so mad. This screwed up everything. It's not your fault. You don't deserve this." She lifted her head but kept her gaze on the ground, "Do you know a date? Did they tell you? Mock you with something? I don't know, but maybe if you tell me I can... Figure something out?"

Licking her lips and looking up, her gaze unfocused, her tone dropped much lower, just barely a whisper. "I'll get you out of here. Damnit, you don't deserve to die." lots of people in here did, specially that strange one off to the side who was trying in vain to look down her top.

Lion

He didn't know how many of his people defected to the cities in the past.  Most were content to live out their lives the way their ancestors did, fighting for kin and clan and dying for what they swore to protect.  But there were some that felt it was better to leave the old ways, and sought to find their futures in the cities of man.  There was no contesting their decisions as long as they left in silence and of their own free will.  To gather numbers was to be executed, and to return harbored a similar consequence.

Hysaeda wondered for a time if they found what they were looking for in coming to the cities.  There were so few that left, for it was hard to rid themselves of their Umbraeon pride and need for their homeland.  But some did, this he knew, and did quite well for themselves.  But he saw through the paradise they sought; chances were they never ended up where he was.  At least they didn't chain him.  Thus far that was the brightest horizon he could find in this dump.

He knew Adalia was coming now that he realized just who would deign to visit him.  She was a lady afterall and it would only be the right thing to do to pay last respects to the one she tossed into prison.  How he hated her right now, words could not describe.  He wasn't sure if he still pitied her as he did before for that time was lost and gone.  In the days that he'd been kept here, he was forced to reckon with his thoughts, thinking of such lost time he'd wasted on things.  But, then she spoke and interrupted his thoughts yet again.  She had a bad habit of doing that.

Hysaeda listened to her with his back leaning against the bars.  He breathed meditatively to soothe the throbbing of the wounds that pulsed through him.  It made it easier to just listen and wait for her finish with everything she had to say, that way he'd only use his energy when he'd really have to.  When her voice abruptly came low to whisper into his ear he cocked an ear back a little and listened, still not exactly wanting to look at her right now.

When she finished, he bowed his head and cleared his throat.  "If I have to die, then I'll die.  Why do you care anyway?  You're the one that dragged me to this place anyway, right after I told you to let me go."  His voice was quiet and then the venom quickly rose.  But it was a silent anger, a lash that would come up like a whip.  He struggled to turn, but turn he did and he sat up to look at her.  "You didn't have to dress up for me," he continued.  "But they did say something you might want to hear.  The end of the week I am to die.

"Adalia, why didn't you just let me go?  I would have disappeared.  Bounty be damned, they never would have found me, that I can guarantee.  Nobody can survive like an Umbraeon can."  Then his eyes started growing hot and his vision flared with anger.  "This is your fault.  I don't want you to do anything for me anymore; we're past that point.  But I'll help you one last time.  You see," and he leaned in slowly, holding his side.  "I advise you to leave me to my fate.  My spirit will return to the soul realm and that will be that.  Besides, these men seem to like you making a show of your breasts."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Stupid stubborn male. Adalia rose her gaze to glare at him, frowning, her touch grew hot on the metal bars and she could feel the sting of it in both her palms. Anger fuelled her magic heat, and she gripped it tighter.

Like she didn't already feel bad enough. She noticed how he struggled to turn, how his gaze was full of... Venom. Adalia could feel her face fall, while she was expecting this it still hurt to see it. Hear it. Her grip tightened and she squeezed her eyes shut, biting her tongue until he was finished talking.  She had wanted to help him! Give him a clean slate, make sure nothing would be hunting him. That plan failed though.

Now his death was going to rest on her shoulders.

And he was being a right asshole when she had said she was going to free him. No matter what. Adalia couldn't live with the guilt of putting something like him to his death. Even if he was a right asshole to her she saw from those rare gentle moments that he could be a good person. That person who let her take a surprise nap.

Swallowing she squeezed her eyes shut and peeled her hands off the bars almost literally. What hadn't melted her skin to the bars had melded the fabric of her gloves to her hands. Quickly she tore them off and held her shaking hands in her lap while she bent over them, trying to think of the words and ignore the pain. "I didn't dress up for you. You can't possibly be so arrogant as to think that. I couldn't let you go! And if you had really wanted to you could have stolen Atras and been on your way. He's been moping since..." Adalia motioned helplessly the to cell.

"Look. I'm sorry. I thought I held more sway with the superiors but apparently I don't anymore." The gloves had blood spotting the palms and she stood up and glared at him, "Screw your fate!" She balled up the gloves and threw them at him between the cell bars, glaring. Her foot came down with a click and she snarled at the man off to the side who was eyeing her like a chunk of meat.

"I'm sure you of all people would enjoy the show of my breasts the most. Hmm, Mr. Stargazer?" she sneered and gently held her hands to her sides, glaring, frowning. This wasn't turning out like she had wanted it to. At the very least she had wanted a little bit of cooperation from him, not such defiance.

She moved back down, getting on her knees and glaring at him with bright green eyes. Her voice lowered into a whisper again and she took a soft breath before speaking, "Your fate isn't here, you're not going to die like the rest of these dogs and I will get you out of here. I don't care if you don't want me to. No one wants to die, I know this is my fault, I'm the exact same person who fell asleep on you when we were riding Atras."

This time her fist fell against a metal bar and it clanged loudly, "Just... Don't make a big fuss. Please. And if you do, make sure you don't break your legs. You'll need those. I'll come visit again. Later." She grew quiet and chewed on her lip, looking down at her burnt hands and then back at the metal part of the bar she heated up. Stupid magic. Stupid fire. Stupid thin gloves!

Lion

Hysaeda caught the gloves she threw at him with a free hand and  saw the other prisoner wince out of the corner of his eye then he disappeared.  The glove was faintly smoothe beneath the calluses on his fingers.  Then he eyed the blood spot and he frowned.  He almost forgot how her magic hurt her hands as bas as they hurt her enemies.  Well, he didn't know exactly how these bars were her enemy anymore than they were his.  At least he could back away from her and not have her scoot closer, so at least the bars were good for some things.

"Keep your damn voice down," he said harshly.  "They'll start thinking something and usher me to my death even faster, thanks to you.  I still don't understand why you want to help me so much.  If you just want a clear and guilt-free conscience than you can forget about everything.  I told you, I don't want your help!"  Hysaeda sighed and slipped the glove back to her.  "This is yours.  Don't throw things at me, I'm not in the mood.

"Look you're home now.  This is where you belong.  Go back to your well-to-do family and get married, cry when you have kids, and die.  That's the life you were destined to have.  This is mine.  I'm going to die because of you.  I'd rather have that than any help you'd ever deign to give me.  I know you're only doing this to make yourself feel better."  He eyed the determination in her green eyes with a dull attention.  Children of his breed were taught from an early age not to fear death, but that the very concept should be embraced in order for one to truly embrace life.  He wasn't scared to die, he convinced himself that he wasn't.  The years of his training, the visions he'd seen through meditation, told him what to be prepared for on the other side.  And he wasn't afraid.

He could feel pride swell in his chest and it caused a coughing spasm that forced up a little blood.  He turned his head and spat to the side and he clutched his side harder.  He'd have to get better soon or he'd die before his execution.

"Go, Adalia, just leave me.  I don't want to see you again."

Hysaeda then laid back and crawled to the bedroll in the corner of the cell and went to sleep instantly.

At the end of the hall, Quijira could be seen walking down the line of cells.  Her boots clicked authoritatively and she fixed her jacket as she did so.  Meeting Adalia with dark eyes, she cleared her throat loudly and said, "Visiting hours are over.  But before you go, I'd like to see you in my office, if you please.  There are some things regarding this prisoner that need to be discussed."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Cry and have babies and die. Obviously his opinion of her wasn't very high. Not that she blamed him. Adalia hated herself a little too, right now. She played with the glove in her hand while she kept her gaze down, chewing on her lip but looked up sharply, clearly worried when he started to cough. Of course her expression turned blank when he told her he didn't want to see her.

Of course he didn't.  Who would want to see the person that sent them to hell?

Too bad for him though, he was going to see her again whether he liked it or not, and she bet he really, really didn't like it. After he crawled to the bedroll she wanted to pat his back or sooth him somehow, of course it was impossible, so instead she just watched sadly for a moment until someone cleared their throat.

Adalia stood up instantly, head up, shoulders back. The gloves were off, her hands were bare and she looked towards the person just as they began to speak. "Why? What do you need to know about this man when you're just going to put him to his death anyway? He's already dying." Adalia pressed her fingers to her forehead before she gave a sigh and walked towards the woman, crossing her arms over her chest. "Lead the way, I want this over with quickly. I have important business to attend to, talking to you not being part of it."

She didn't like this woman. Not one bit.

Lion

Quijira smirked and pouted thoughtfully.  "My interest is relevant, trust me.  I just want to ask you a few questions.  Nothing serious."  She nodded then lead her down the hall to her office at the far end of it.  There were three ways around the complex, the one to the south that Adalia had come through when visiting Hysaeda, one to the courtyard, and the door in front that was presumably the warden's office.

Quijira stepped through, leaving the door open behind her.  The office around her was not exactly a small one, as a matter of fact it was about twice the size of the prison cells.  A large, heavy-looking desk resided with it's narrow section against the wall and a stack of papers scattered across the great mess.  Apparently the warden wasn't a very organized woman.  Books lined the shelves and a soft carpet resided on the floor, obviously a show-off too.  Quijira rounded the desk and sat down, putting her feet up on the desk.

"I promise I'll make this fast.  I just want to know a few things about him is all.  I reckon since you're the one that brought him in, that you know enough.  Maybe not a lot, but enough."  She smiled and took a drink from a flask on her desk.  "From what I got from your superior, you're name's Adalia right.  Aaaand, you're a mage knight.  Is this correct?  Of course it is.  I'm no idiot.  Where did you pick up that fine piece of work in that cell?  Where does he come from?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The last thing she wanted to do was follow this woman, but Adalia did obiediently. Her footsteps were soft against the ground and she kept her backs straight and her head up as she followed the warden down the hall to her office, where the woman sat at the desk like a man. Adalia carefully crossed her arms over her chest and stared, the palms of her hands stuck and she carefully kept them hidden.

Of course she wasn't an idiot.

Of course.

Adalia gave a long blink, her eyelashes resting against her cheeks in an effort not to roll her eyes. This woman just made her hackles rise and Adalia didn't enjoy it one bit. "Fine piece of work? Surely you're not talking about Hysaeda? He was found in the Wester Highlands, originally from somewhere around Adela to the west. Probably around the Thunderblacks. Why? What makes you so interested in him?" Adalia moved her hands to rest them on her hips, shifting her weight to the side, "I imagine there's something disgusting floating around in your head."

Nodding her head forward she plastered a smirk on her face, "You should tell me," She leaned forward, "I might be able to help." Not that she'd want to, but if she knew what this strange woman wanted then maybe she could find some way to prevent it. Maybe.

Lion

Picking her nails clean in the most lady-like fashion possible, Quijira offered glaring black eyes that were obscure through the smoke of her pupils.  They were an abnormal black as if they showed the true color of her soul.  Which probably wouldn't be a too far off assumption about a woman like Quijira, for she did nothing to hide the swift cruelty with which she ran her section of the prison.  She wasn't exactly a closed book of secrets.  There was nothing she hated more than a well-kept secret.  As far as she was concerned, secrets bred dissent, and that was something everyone would be better off without.

She looked away for a second then pressed her fingers to her forehead before chuckling as if she was humored, though in fact she found nothing Adalia said even remotely amusing.  Then her face was apathetic.  "I'm the one asking questions here, mage knight.  You'll do well to know that.  My interest is purely academic.  It's not often we get 'colorful' specimens like him in here and I simply want to know what you know about him."  Taking her boots off the table, she leaned against the desk and raised a brow at the light-skinned woman.

"Disgusting?  Now why would I think that?  Oh no, you're not trying to accuse me of attempting to sleep with one of my prisoners, are you?  Dear gods!  That's disgusting.  Do you know how many diseases and vile attributes these men have?  I'd sooner execute the whole lot of them than have them so much as spit on me.  But back to the point.  He's from the Thunderblacks you say.  Interesting, I've heard some talk about the Thunderblacks recently from Rale and others.  Maybe you should look into it.  You can leave now."

Quijira reached for a roll of tobacco she kept in her drawer and piped up one more time.  "But I wouldn't worry about your friend.  I'll take very good care of him.  Until the end of the week.  Then he makes room just like everyone else.  Good day, Miss Adalia."  Just before lighting up.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"Actually I wasn't trying to imply that, but since that's the conclusion you jumped to, I don't even want to assume what you do with the male inmates who look a little clean." Adalia gave a stretched smile and tilted her head to the side, shifting her weight and eyeing the woman with gaze narrowing, obviously not impressed with how she regarded people. Execute the whole lot of them rather than have them spit on her.

Adalia frowned, remember when Hysaeda had spit on her. Here she thought good pay back was kicking him in the chin, apparently that wasn't tough enough. Oh no, should have killed him instead. What a joke. "I'm sure you'll take wonderful care of him," It hurt her to give a nod of recognition to this horrible woman. "I'll be sure to speak to Rale about the business he has at the Thunderblacks."

A sloppy salute and Adalia left the room, irritated. Her fingers trailed along the walls as she walked out, her head down, trying to think of a way to fix this amazing mess she'd made. Adalia would return home, do her duties there and then check on Rale. It took her a while to return home, she was greeted by her mother with a kiss to the forehead. She didn't feel it though. Seeing Hysaeda curled up in a corner of a cage weighed heavy on her.

It wasn't guilt for her, it was guilt for him, what she made him do. She'd convinced him she would talk them out of it. Show them he wasn't some horrible slaver and she'd blown it amazingly. Another day. She'd see Rale in a day.

Changing out of the too-tight dress and letting her hair down, Adalia checked her apperance, and gave a sigh. Shouldn't have dressed up for him. Pah. Like she'd dress up for that ass. Hmph. After changing into a more... Uniform and form fitting outfit she finger combed her hair before putting the headbands on, the jewel resting on her forehead, between her eyebrows.

Time to see Rale. Adalia didn't particularily like him. He was an attractive man in his mid thirties, graying at the temples, widower with a child in their teens. Rale was quite the human, brown hair(for the most part), brown eyes, a strong build, Adalia recalled the few times she had to stand beside him. Just reached his shoulder.

She didn't like him.

Which was why she didn't knock when she entered his office. The reaction she got was as entertaining as it was suspicious, the item he'd been examining went up and he made a move to grab it before looking sheepishly at her and tucking the thing into the desk he was sitting at. "How may I help you?" His voice was badly disguising his displeasure at being interrupted. In a move to look easy going he leaned back in his chair and propped his feet up on his desk.

"I'm curious about something, Sir." Adalia didn't say much else, she tucked her hands to the small of her back and wandered around to room, examining things, stopping at a book case with a shelf in the middle that didn't hold books. Small interesting looking artifacts obviously not from Serendipity. Hm. "Well? Aren't you going to finish? What are you curious about, Soldier?"

"One of the wardens mentioned something about you and the Thunderblacks. What business do you have there?" Her voice was a light airy curiousity, and she kept her eye on him, head tilted slightly. She caught the look he gave his desk and the items on the shelf and she frowned slightly, she wasn't stupid, she could put two and two together. "Just some investigatoins. They're of no concern to a mage knight like you. Who mentioned me knowing anything of the Thunderblacks?"

"Warden Quijira, sir."

"Very well, I'll speak of this to her and straighten things out. Please leave."

Adalia frowned deeply before giving him a nasty look and leaving the room. Fingers against her lips, remembering the artifacts. She'd go home and sketch them the best she could. The pack a few things for her next... Trip.

Lion

He was in a hell of solitude.  Where he was accustomed to the clamor of air and tree leaves and bird calls and animal sounds, he heard nothing but the pained moans of the other prisoners around him, begging for death or pain.  The prison was better than what he'd imagined, screams and horror all around, but the racket was insufferable all the same.  And suddenly he almost missed week he'd spent with Adalia, realizing that that was the last time he would hear the noises of nature, of the world, of his homelands again.  It was as if he'd been thrown across a vast void, to fall into the pit and never return.

Hysaeda had recovered quickly despite his injuries in the past few days and he knew that it was only a day or two before he'd be placed on the headsman's block.  But until then, he wouldn't dare let those that would witness his death view a hint of weakness about him.  He was quite well now and used his father's training to accelerate his healing.  There was no use in waiting for weeks to wait for bruises and bleeding to heal only to have it suddenly stopped the next day.  Hysaeda was strong, he was determined to be so.  No guard could kill him.

His breathing had alleviated too, and it no longer hurt to expand his lungs with air.  But he was afraid what might be floating in the atmosphere in this place where everything was just, well...not completely clean.  It was suitable at least for survival purposes.  He sat up in his cell, standing up from his bedroll and looking through the tiny window, eyes wincing from the sudden brightness.  He hadn't eaten in days, but he wouldn't let his hunger get to him.  He'd gone longer without food and their porridge didn't look all that appetizing.

He turned when he heard a rattling on the bars to his cell and, turning, he saw a trio of guards standing on the other side.  He threw back his shoulders and gave them a dark look.  "Time for a bath, drow.  Warden wants you clean for your execution.  Says she can't stand for a bad show, even if ye are just a prisoner.  Come quietly now and we won't have to restrain you."  Hysaeda studied each of them as the lead one, a short round man who opened the gates and let the two taller ones through.

Hysaeda watched as they tried to grab each of his arms.  He knew what they were doing.  He wasn't afraid to bathe, but he also knew an opportunity when he saw one.  The round man held the gate open for them to drag him through, but when he came into distance, Hysaeda swung his leg up and kicked him in the jaw, knocking him back and bashed into the guard on his right with his shoulder.  He watched him fall, but was soon tripped up and knocked to the ground.  The remaining guard took the time to withdraw his baton and drew it high enough before sending it crashing down on Hysaeda's head.  But he caught it just in time as he dragged himself back up.  Wrestling with the guard to surrender the weapon, the remaining guards got up and tackled him.

Three to one were never good odds and when Hysaeda felt blood drench his teeth, his old Adalia cut, reopened, this was made apparent to him more than ever before.  The struggle continued for he would not be brought down without a fight even if he knew the odds were not in his favor.  Anger surged through him as he flung one guard to a wall and pierced him with a knee to the gut and one to the groin.  But there was always one more to counter him, beating him with brutal force.  Their strikes rang true on his face and all over his body and soon he was a corpse-like heap on the floor, blood dripping from his lips and his eyes blackened a purplish hue against his skin.  His felt his breathing slowed as his body was dragged to the shackle ring against the wall and there he was chained, his sore, numb arms hanging over head.

The guards all exited the cell, locking it and easily drenched in their own sweat.  "Bloody bastard!" called one of them.  "That ought to teach for attacking one of the guards.  I don't care what the warden says, you'll be as dirty as the rest of them when you die.  And, if you're lucky, that'll be tonight."

Hysaeda did not look at them, too overcome by the pain of his body to think of nothing more than to make an effort to breathe.  Perhaps he would die tonight.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

A pale hand pressed against her face and she rubbed a hand against Atras' neck. Damn beast has been moping. Moping! Stupid nature loving umbraeon bastard. Making Atras like him and mope when he's gone. Adalia pat his neck and looked at the saddle, frowning slightly. Could she really do this? It was late, Hysaeda was going to be executed tomorrow.  Licking her lips she tied the sack of food and bandages to Atras' saddle and fixed the hood of her cloak.

She'd have to do this. And well.

Felt like she was running away. Had enough supplies to last at least a week, enough time to get to a settlement or another smaller town and rest and restock before moving on. If this worked, they'd be in deep shit. If it didn't they'd probably die. Hysaeda was already going to die, but... After Adalia had mounted Atras he started to leave the area slowly, going through the gate. Like the horse knew they were supposed to be sneaky.

Her heart pounded in her chest when she finally got to the prison. The guard at the door. Adalia had put her cloak away, bunched up in her arms and the guard was giving her a confused look, he recognized her, she gave her a nice big smile... His mouth went wide and he gave a breathy gasp for air, Adalia's hands were behind her back but she feigned caring while she slowly suffocated him, pulling the air from around him, making him unable to breath.

The guard fainted and Adalia dragged him off to the side to prop him against the wall. Sleeping. Quickly she whisepered gently words to Atras who stood in place, restless, but for the most part he wasn't moving. He'd stay there until she found him.

Adalia couldn't believe what she was about to do. She'd be a criminal. The little nagging voice in the back of her head told her not to do this, chanted it. Adalia didn't really want to throw her life away just to save someone who barely knew, but this wasn't about her. It was about someone who was going to die when they clearly didn't deserve it.

The guard inside gave her a very strange look when she got there. It was either fate that he was a slightly balding squat man or the gods hated her, either way, after a few minutes of persuasion she had gotten the key and he took, was sleeping against the wall. Flushed, Adalia wiped the back of her hand over her mouth, made a quiet gagging sound and then grew silent, listening for footsteps. Nothing. Yet. They would probably be patrolling.

Another wipe of her mouth and she stared at the ring of keys in her hand. This would have to be fast. And with as little clanging as possible. She remembered which cell was his, so she walked quietly to his cell, grabbing a key and wrapping the cloak around her hand to make the noise quiet. The other inmates were sleeping and Adalia was sure her heart was going to beat out of her chest at any moment.

Key after key didn't work. She hadn't even looked up to see if Hysaeda was in there, but once the muffled click of the lock was heard she breathed a sigh of relief and opened the door, wincing when it creaked. The cloak she wore went down to the ground to cushion it from closing on them. The one she brought for Hysaeda was still in her arms and when she finally looked up she pressed a hand to her chest and felt her breath leave her. Well, fuck! He was chained up. The ring of keys still in her hand she gently walked towards him and put her hand over his mouth, wincing when it was sticky with blood. Her other hand went to stroke at his head, his shoulders. He had to wake up, or at least regain consciousness before she could even attempt to get him down. No footsteps yet. She didn't speak, instead she just kept touching him. Poor guy didn't need to get slapped now, he probably already hurt like a bitch everywhere.

Lion

The pain and throbbing had sent him into an agitated sleep long ago.  He couldn't remember just when he was beaten, only that his head hurt and no thought could pass through that didn't make his temples ache as if they were struck by lightning repeatedly.  Whatever he did think about was ambiguous and cloudy; he couldn't make any sense of anything.  He faded in and out of clear consciousness, his breathing was labored and what sleep he did gain was by far from peaceful.

His body would undergo various spasms of his body trying to recover from the bleeding and the bruises inside of him.  But inside, Hysaeda knew that death was imminent.  So, in the meantime he receded back into himself, breathing what he could until a sharp pain struck the middle of his chest, then he let it out again.  Already his arms had gone numb from being held over his head for so long, but his fingers twitched a little despite being scraped and bloodied.  His joints hurt all over.  Hysaeda fell into a trance, lulling himself away into the darkness of his mind.

And he could hear the voices of the dead calling to him, the voices of his ancestors, and faintly he heard a particularly powerful one, one more compelling than the rest.  He was an Ankuman's son, and was in-tune with the spirits of old since he was a boy.  He wasn't aware anymore of the world around him and as far as he was concerned he was already dead.  His whole body was numb and cold, all feeling failed.  He couldn't be sure if this really was what it was like to pass away.

The voice that called to him was a strong one, familiar and sounded like what Umbra would have sounded when he died.  He talked to it, saying various things that registered nothing sensible to him.  But then something fell on his face, warmed it by continuous contact and suddenly his flesh tingled with a trillion needles, all singeing him back into the real world.  He didn't want to leave the darkness around him, where the suffering stopped and silence was silence.  But he was being dragged back swiftly and then when his breathe was yanked from his lungs, he gasped loudly and slowly opened his eyes.  Someone was touching him.

Vision was blurred and after a few moments of refocusing, he saw a familiar face before him.  His head fell back against the wall and he looked at her with confusion.  "Adalia...?  What are you doing here?  I....ugh...."  Then he remembered that his head hurt and he could barely focus.  "How did you get in here?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Adalia stared in horror until he gasped. She was about to cry, his skin was cold and clammy and she couldn't feel any decent breath coming out of his nose or mouth. She was about to check his pulse, hoping to any god in the sky that this stupid bastard wasn't dead.

When he gasped, she gasped loudly herself and looked over her shoulder towards the door, eyes wide with her surprise. Adalia kept quiet while he spoke and she quickly turned back and removed her hand from his face, gently stroking his cheek before putting both hands onto his face and making a soft shushing noise. Her thumb went over his lips, "I'll explain later. For now, be as quiet as you can." The keys on the ring in her hand were all the same size, except for one. It was smaller. Maybe.

Adalia put it in the lock that kept the shackles together, standing to get them. The click of the lock made her sigh and she quickly grabbed Hysaeda's arms, moving to stand in front of him and gently lower his arms. Her hand went through his hair again and she kneeled beside him, putting the hoot on his head, pulling and prodding his torso to get the stupid cloak over his shoulders and on his torso. Once she was finished she gently touched his shoulder and gave another look around, "You have to get up. Now." Adalia pulled the hood up over his head, tucked his hair back into it before she gently took one of his arms and stood up. "Come. I'm sure one of the patrolling guards is on their way. We have to move."

Pressing her lips together she wanted him to move now but, she didn't know how much pain he was in. She could tell he was wounded, her palm had blood on it. He'd have to ignore that though if he didn't want to lose his head.

Lion

Hysaeda was quiet confused now, more so than when he thought he was dying.  But he knew that he was in no condition to protest anything she had to say, so he simply nodded and obeyed.  His whole body was still somewhat numb, but in a way that helped as it kept the pain at a dull throbbing state and prevented him from actually being immobilized by it.  His movements were slow and he was only vaguely aware that she had unlocked his shackles and was lowering his arms.  The stiffness in his joints came as a sudden shock and he winced in a swift jolt.

But eventually he found that his heavy body was moving and he was leaning on her.  It seemed he wasn't completely incapable of moving on his own, but still his balance was off and the cloth she threw over his head was unsupported and threatened to slip off.  "Okay," he whispered simply.  His instincts told him that now was no time for rest that, as if from some far off indication, he knew she was absolutely right.  They had no time to waste if they were going to make it out of here alive.  And for a moment he trusted her, though he was yet to realize it.  The delirium was having a hard time leaving him, and the dregs still made him somewhat drunk with lethargy.

He dragged his legs, somewhat aware that he was moving.  He was tempted to ask where they were going, but there was also the sense of urgency that drove him on and he persisted in his path, his feet shuushooking along the ground.  "Hurry," he felt escape him.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

While the reaction of him being compliant and listening was strange and unusual from what she'd gotten used to over the week. She liked it and went with it. After tying the cloak around his neck, she fixed it after he stood up, wrapping an arm around his torso, bending quickly to scoop up her own cloak and putting the keys on the ground. The guards should still be asleep. Closing her eyes, she ignored Hysaeda and listening for the soft foot falls of the other guard. Nothing yet. He was either standing or far away still.

His voice made her jump slightly, but she quickly tied on her cloak, which was no gross because of the floor, and helped him walk to the door. Every second made her heart beat faster and she had to bite her lip when the second guard came into view. Remembering the kiss she had to give him to distract him so she could steal his keys made her gag again but she quickly pulled Hysaeda up, helping support him when he needed it, her hand against his him, pulling his arm over her shoulder.

A quiet huff at the top of the steps and she ran her hand over his side in a hopefully soothing motion before she breathed her words, "Just a little farther. Atras' is waiting. He misses you." Like a horse missing him will perk his spirits, but Adalia felt it was worth mentioning. Swallowing carefully when she opened the door to the outside, she saw the feet of the sleeping guard. It couldn't have been more than ten minutes since entering.

Atras shuffled, annoyed with having to wait and Adalia walked Hysaeda to the horse. "Get on near the front. I'll sit behind, I know it'll hurt but we have to leave because I just got us in more shit." her hand moved to his back and she kept her eyes out, looking around, listening. Clear so far. It was a quiet night and the hell would expect a mage night to break a criminal out of prison?

Lion

If only he'd been sober, or at least had some sense of what was really going on around him, then he'd be insistent of being rid of her, even going to the point of remaining in his cell, like an idiot calling the executioner to action.  And suddenly he realized for a faint moment that the guards, whatever Adalia did to them, would awake to find an empty cell.  Whatever Quijira would do, he was sure she wouldn't like that at all.  Hysaeda didn't think her to the type to shrug things off, even if he'd only known her for a few scant days, most of which he'd used to meditate and reflect on what was going to happen to him, to prepare himself for the spirit world on which he was about to enter.

But he still had a vessel, a body with which to move, and it seemed his mind was intent on keeping him hear, to press on even with the threat of death at his heels, the threat and howl of constant persecution.  He'd return home again and all would be well.  Now that became the ultimate goal in his mind, to return home.  Radek or not, battle worn, or battle-torn, he didn't care.  He had a job to do, a place to fulfill.  And he'd leave this place for as long as he'd have too.  And that included Adalia.

He smiled slightly, tightening his hold on her.  "Damn horse.  How could he miss a bastard like me?" he whispered.  He didn't need to wait for an answer just as he moved toward the horse and pat his side.  "You're an idiot, Atras."  But painfully mounted him soon after, hunching over and clutching his side even through his fractured cuirass.  The hide material was damaged and broken in several places.  He'd have to remember to repair it later when he—GAH!  His side pierced him and he gripped the saddle's pommel in an effort to support himself.

"Warden'll be mad as hell...  I think we've set a demon after us....  But,"  he worked to catch his breath, "first we have to think about getting out of here."  The words were getting harder and harder to articulate and then he decided it was a good idea to stop talking now.  It wouldn't do if he fell off the horse.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Like a good boy, Atras stayed as still as he could when Hysaeda mounted him, shuffling a little once he got on and then gave Adalia a deathly look. Sometimes she wondered if this horse was smarter than he looked, the looks in his eyes. Adalia pet his nose before she got onto the saddle behind Hysaeda, keeping her back straight and moving as close as she could.

It would sink in later just what she did. How much trouble she'd be in. Who she did this for. They didn't even get along.

Though Adalia had promised to keep Hysaeda from dying. Her fae blood made it hard for her to lie, white lies were fine, saying 'no,' when she meant 'yes' was okay. Saying she was going to do something when she didn't mean it didn't work though. Those words couldn't move past her lips. And while she was insanely scared of dying and being disowned and hated and in a lot of trouble for defecting from the army. "I know. But I made a promise."

The relief from fufilling a promise made her chest light. Moving an arm in front of her to grab the saddle, she peaked up over Hysaeda's shoulder and nudged Atras. Her arms were out in front, on either side of Hysaeda, the reins in her hands, her chest pressed against his back. Once they were a somewhat safe distance away, She moved a hand to Hysaeda's chest to help hold him in place then nudged Atras again to go a little fast.

The gate out of town was closed, guards were stationed there and she leaned over to look at them before she took a deep breath and leaned up to his ear whispering, "Stay quiet don't put up a fuss, past this gate and we'll have to run for a while but then we should be fine for a day or so." Adalia pulled her hood down. "What's this? It's not even sunrise and you're skipping out of town, Miss?" One said, both leered at her, before eyeing Hysaeda's hooded face. Adalia smiled before trailing her hand across his chest, then over the cloak on his shoulder. When she spoke it had a seductive tone to it, "How disrespectful. This is important merchandise, you know. I have to get it all the way to Darken Vei as soon as possible. A rather important lady wants to test the..." She knew they were watching her pale hands, She trailed a hand down his chest to have it hover and make pointless circles at his lower stomach, "Wares."

Neither of the guards knew what to do about this. The escape had been quiet, the shift wouldn't change for another half hour and she was sure the other guards were still out cold. Or dead. Hopefully out cold. Adalia licked her lips and put on a haughty smile before moving forward on Atras and lightly resting her head on Hysaeda's shoulder. "Should let us past or you'll have a very important woman very mad at you."

The guards gave sputtering answers and she gave a tiny mental dance of joy when the gates slowly opened. Stupid males and being obsessed with sex. Quickly she put the hood back on and she squished closer to Hysaeda, he was probably cold. They had to go though. Fast. "This might hurt. But we have to go a little faster okay?" not too fast, just a trot. Just until they had a good lead.

"I thought I told you not to get your ass kicked."

Lion

He was almost bordering that painful sleep again, but he knew that he had to remain awake and conscious if he wanted to remain in the saddle.  His hand gripped the pommel, the cloak covering his darkened hands.  Gradually he felt the blood sizzle back into his fingertips and it stung them to hold on to the grip so hard.  He let go of it and knew that it was the horse he was riding and not the saddle and let go.  Agitatedly, he entwined his fingers in Atras' mane, holding tight and feeling more secure with his fingers in something this familiar.  Still no words were come to him once he felt the horse get going into motion.

He was jostled quiet a bit and bit down hard on his lower lip, drawing some blood that wasn't quite closed up, from a sudden jolt of pain that ran up his side.  Damn woman and her ungentleness.  But he couldn't really blame her right now, he was in no position to offer much resistance to anything.  Hysaeda thus remained quiet and unaware of their true situation.  He had no idea just what kind of trouble she just thrown him in, and doubly unaware of what that meant for his future.  Would he be hunted for the rest of his life until he was dead?  And all because of this woman.  Still no thought passed through his head, as it was still quite cloudy with confusion and the voice that told him to stay in his miserable place on the earth.  The latter was what grounded him the most.

She whispered something to him and he nodded gently, his head still slumped over so it just made it seem as if Atras' movements were the cause of his shifting.  Beneath his hood he saw nothing more than the shapes of shadows and Atras' neck where he gripped the horse's hair.  He heard people talking around him, men asking why they were leaving so late in the night that was not yet dawn.  There words were curious, they seemed slurred to him, but then again he couldn't quite make much sense of anything.  He must really be out of it because it almost seemed as if Adalia was touching him in a way that he'd cut off her hand for.  But no anger arose and he felt the motions of her hand somewhere down low.  No contact but an aura just the same.

His brows crushed together as he tried to figure out what was going on exactly.  But then the gates opened and their way was made for them.  Soon the horse was going through them, a little faster this time than before and now his wounds were really going to reap their vengeance upon him.  He frowned significantly, but felt a small sense of trust for the woman that suddenly felt it was necessary to squash herself so close to him; he could almost feel her chest through her corset.  Now that was something.  Still no complaint left him and instead he opened his mouth to whisper softly.

"Wares?" he muttered once they were through the gate.  "I didn't know you knew about Lady Rothenschant.  But she's been dead for years...."  Ugh, he didn't know if he was going to fall asleep again or die from the pain that wracked his body.  "Ergh....eh, you didn't.  Remember....you said for me not to break my legs.  And they're not broken."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Who the hell was Lady Rothenschant. Another something-or-other to ask Hysaeda about, the pictures she drew of the things she saw on Rale's bookshelf. Hysaeda was old, maybe he knew what they were. Hoped he knew. Since she couldn't exactly look over his shoulder, even if he was sitting and flopping slightly, Adalia could only press her cheek against his back.

Adalia gave a dry laugh and closed her eyes, nuzzling closer. Her eyes squeezed shut. She just threw her entire life away to save this stupid person. Someone she barely liked. Someone who hated her and would probably be mad at her for saving his life. Her eyes burned and she felt the air in her throat grow thick, so all she did was lift her head and hold it back, taking a deep breath of the cold night air.

"Don't be a smartass. This ride will be rough, but it's okay if you try to sleep. Atras knows where to go.  You can lean back. I'm so sorry I got you into this mess, and that I made it worse. That I can't help you without screwing up." Her fingers tightened on the reins and she shuffled back a bit before using one hand to push Hysaeda back and slowly Atras to a walk. "Please rest. You can get mad at me tomorrow."

Sunrise would be in a few hours, five, maybe four. Adalia yawned, not having any sleep that day so she didn't look suspicious. No sleep. At least not until tomorrow night. They'd realise Hysaeda was gone soon, and it would only take them a few hours to also realise Adalia had done it. Maybe she should dye her hair.

Another thing to ask Hysaeda. Later. When he wasn't so out of it.