Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Serpent In Chains (Draccy)

Started by Lion, February 21, 2010, 10:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

He wanted to rest more than he would ever deign to let her know.  He didn't want her to see him in a state of weakness, even with him broken and bloodied as he was.  His ego still swelled and he'd rather be dead than to have her see him groveling at her feet.  But his needs always came before his wants, instinctively beyond his control.  His eyelids grew heavy and lead-like, slumping down when he tried to keep them open.  But eventually sleep would win out and he found himself slinking backwards against her just a little.  And the sensation of her against him was a reminder to wake back up and his eyes thrust open.

"I'm not being a smart-ass.  Honest.  I don't want....ugh, my head hurts....I'm so tired....Blast, I guess I'll have to despite before..."  Hysaeda became all the more tired and eventually laid against her despite his words. He was heavy with his head slumped away from her.  He doubted she'd be able to hold him.  Gradually, he felt his body lean forward and was looking very much like a dead person on top of the horse.

"Rest...damphsldllkkasd...." He muttered now and said nothing even remotely coherent.  She was right. This whole time she'd been right about a lot of things.  Damn her.  He'd have to show he differently when he came to his senses.

[Go ahead and do a time-skip if you feel it's necessary.  Morning or something close to it.]

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Surprise was on her face when he kept dozing off but refused to sleep. It hurt her feelings and worried her. Licking her lips she shuffled closer to him on the saddle while Atras walked along. They'd head to where she told the guards she was going, which was in the opposite direction from where they were headed now. They'd be safe for a few days, once the guards realised they were following a cold trail.

Once Hysaeda fell asleep, after his mumbling strange words she moved closer, careful not to nudge him but wanting to over some form of warmth. Her arms were still on either side of him and Adalia forced her own eyes open. The sound of night was loud, the only light was the moon and she shone brightly for Atras to see his way.

The woman kept her ear out for hooves and Atras kept on. For his master. For his shiny new friend who was hurt and tired. He'd run as fast and as far as he could if it was for her, and he'd walk as nicely as possible so they could rest.

At least one could rest.

Adalia stayed up, back straight, head up. Green eyes drifted closed a few times but she jolted up quickly, looking around before she gave a sigh. This would be bad, bad news. While she wanted Hysaeda to be over joyed at the idea of not having his life end today, she was already under the impression that he wouldn't like the fact that she helped him. Maybe it was his man ego. Adalia shifted again and pressed closer, growing cold as the night wore on.

After what seemed like hours, and probably was, the birds started chirping, the sun started to rise, turning the sky grey before a sliver of orange. By now she was barely awake, frowning and letting her head duck forward. Her hands were now resting on Hysaeda's legs and her head flopped forward occasionally. Would it be smart to stop? Maybe find a river first.

Maybe run now after a short break. Adalia licked her lips and moved a hand to wipe at her eye, yawning widely before seeing a small creek off to the side. That would do for now. Gently moving her hand to the side of his and rubbed up and down it as she spoke softly, "Hysaeda, it's almost daylight. Wake up for a bit to give Atras a rest and to patch up your wounds."

With a wince she gently got off of the horse, looking up at the sky and listening to the birds chirp.

Lion

The images in his head weren't exactly the most pleasant to endure.  They were chaotic images, visions of mutilation and torture, things that might have happened if he were taken to any place else other than the prison.  He knew there were worse things in life than death and that place was one of them.  It wasn't that he was not treated civilly, for even prisoners are people, it was he'd have preferred death to staying there in that slop-joint with loud men and a louder warden.  He recalled the last few days for a time they seemed almost as if they'd been a dream, that he was fine and there weren't a number of wounds across his body.

He saw a nasty woman's face with black hair and black eyes that glowed like night fire.  For all he knew she could have been a drow in disguise.  He grunted angrily at the thought and kept on dreaming.  She called herself Quijira and carried a great axe over her shoulder; how she was able to lift it, he had no idea.  But before he knew it, she swung it down over his head without mercy.

And then he awoke with a start and the sudden movement caused a swift pain to his shoulder joints.  "Gah!"  Breathing in sharply, his face wrinkled into morose scowl and he was tempted to reach up and grab it, but the knowledge that any extreme movement would only cause more pain.  It was best to endure the throbbing and let it subside when he was motionless.  So far he wasn't.  He continued to try to breathe the pain away, still unaware of the light glow in the sky that had shone down on them.

Dawn had come.  Apparently he did sleep, though not very well.  Hysaeda groaned tiredly and slowly reached up to rub his temples, hoping to alleviate the headache that continued to plague him.  "Adalia?"  he asked, opening his eyes and slipping off the horse's back.  Another jolt shot up his legs upon landing, but he recognized it only as the shock of impact nothing more.  He still needed some support but soon found it by a tree.  He tore the cloak from his head, pulling the tie away from his neck and sitting beside the creek.  He didn't know what exactly but he wasn't surrounded with metal and mortar anymore.

"Adalia," he said again.  "Where am I?  Why am I here?"  He shuffled a little toward the water and couldn't do much more than wash his hands which were coated in a small sheet of dried blood.  But he washed it away weakly and scraped where it was too thick.  His skin was raw underneath from having fought hard recently, the calluses dug and torn.  They didn't hurt in the last, but they didn't exactly make his hands look beautiful either.  They were man hands, callused and rough to the touch as they should be.  But his were slightly more ragged from having fought and thrashed.

"Ouch...my whole damn body hurts."  And he struggled with the straps of his shattered armor; he'd have to make a whole new set from scratch now.  But after some work it came off and he now saw for himself the damage that was really done.  The cuirass had absorbed most of the damage from the blows, but there was an usually large cut along his side and now he knew it hurt so much to breathe or turn too much in any one direction.  Then he threw himself into the water, letting the coolness soothe away the aches and pains of his body.  "What have you done to me...?" he murmured mournfully.  He knew it was all Adalia's fault.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Instantly she grew quiet, ducking her head, letting her shoulders hunch forward. Not in her usual attire of a short skirt, she opted for a loose black tunic with a corset over it, form fitting pants, elbow length gloves. The metal gauntlets were attached to Atras' saddle wrapped in cloth. She'd need those if she ever wanted to explode someone's head again without breaking her fingers.

Knee high boots kept her feet dry after she picked up his cloak and wandered into the river after him, standing off to the side to watch. Adalia would answer him later. Atras on the other hand wandered right in beside Hysaeda, nudging the man with his nose before going further in to stand in the middle and drink loudly while the pale haired woman tried to think of a nice way to word it.

When he asked her what she did to him Adalia stared, insulted, irritated. How dare he? Her face crumpled slightly and she walked towards Atras, throwing the cloak over the saddle then patting the horses mane. "You've been in a cell the past week. You were going to get killed today. I didn't expect a thank you but you don't have to ask me what I did to you," she splashed towards him, getting water onto her pants.

Adalia's hands went to her hips and she stood over him, frowning down at him. "It's your fault you're hurt!" Adalia kicked a splash of water at him before glaring, "There's bandages and food in one of the saddle bags. Get them, patch yourself up and eat something." A noisy huff and Adalia sat off to the side on a rock, her elbow on her knee while she glared. The food wouldn't be much, day old bread and cheese. She'd been counting on finding a settlement where she could buy more supply's before the week was out and they parted ways.

In her own backpack there was a small bag that held a good sum of money. Adalia gave a dry laugh at nothing and pressed her hand to her head, probably get called a thief after she was disowned. "I'm sorry. I didn't think about what I was doing." Her hand moved away and she closed her eyes for a moment, "But I couldn't let you die, Rogue." She gave another laugh before she tilted her head, smiling when Atras drank his fill and wandered over to her, pressing his face into her hands for pets.

Lion

He was thankful for the splashes and the nudging then reached out to pet the horse who wanted his attention.  It was a weak pet and it was only then that he realized how much stronger he'd need to get before he'd be able to abandon Adalia on her own.  She'd have her horse and whatever stores would in her bags, but she'd have to find shelter on her own and try to find traders willing to exchange goods with her.  But he could track an animal and kill it with his bare hands if need be.  Find a cave suitable for sleep in to keep out of the rain, even build an entire structure from scratch that would hold against stormy winds.  He did not think Adalia would last more than a week here in the forest.  And that thought was somewhat comforting.

The reminder that he hadn't eaten in over five days made his stomach growl fiercely, but he'd gone longer without food.  He'd forage later.  There was no way he was going to munch down on that jerky of hers, or anything else she offered him for that matter.  He'd show her how to really prepare a meal.

"I did no such thing.  It was those damn guards, though I suppose they have every right to defend themselves.  They beat me down until I could hardly move anymore.  Didn't I tell you to leave me alone?  I was supposed to die today and you cheated me out of it.  Don't you have any honor?  No, I suppose you don't.  But now you've cheated me out of my own honor and I'll have to fight to reclaim it."  The words sounded more like a vow, but he worked to sit up and he swore to it.  The water helped cleans his wounds and movement was suddenly much easier.  Even the headache subsided a little.

Hysaeda climbed to his feet, his clothes all wet and he still unbathed for more than a week.  "Adalia," he said angrily. "I still don't understand why you couldn't just let me die as I was destined too.  You don't even like me.  Yet do you realize what you have sacrificed?"  He climbed out of the creek and kneeled in front of her.  His eyes were like two glowing fireballs.  "Look how I am now, in such a weak and cripple state.  Even in my anger, I can't unleash my full fury on you as I want to.  But I know why you did this now...you did it to spite me.  Just like a weakling."

He shook his head and stumbled to his feet yet again, standing beside her horse.  He looked through her things, finding what was necessary and patched up his side as that was the most dire injury.  Putting it away, he pated it down a little and stalked a little ways away as if he was going to collapse again.  "Do you even know where we're going?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The urge to kick him in the chin again was simply overwhelming when he kneeled down in front of her. Of course she had honour. That's why she saved his stupid ungrateful ass from being killed. While she didn't expect him to like it, she sure as hell wasn't expecting him to hate her for making him live so much. Adalia waited until he finished, her hands clenched, knuckles white under the gloves.

Waiting for him to patch himself up.

Adalia walked over towards him slowly, arms crossed over her chest, cheeks pink with anger, the tips of her ears red. "You... You.. Stupid Prick! Destiny? You're angry at me because it was your 'destiny' to die? If it was that stupid destiny you're talking about then no matter what I did you'd die. If you were supposed to die today by getting your stupid fat egotistical head chopped off I'm sure something will happen to you today."

"I saved your sorry grumpy ass because I promised you I would. I promised. Just because I don't like you very much doesn't mean I'm going to break a promise to an innocent man who didn't deserve to die. You still don't deserve to die." Then she frowned and placed her hands at her sides, slowly flexing out her fingers and taking a deep breath, trying to control her anger, "You got yourself beat up you stupid asshole. If you hadn't gotten the shit kicked out of yourself then I wouldn't have to treat you like a wounded man now would I. You do this stupid stuff to yourself then you blame me for treating you nicely."

She walked up before grabbing his wounded side and holding onto it, probably painfully, glaring up at him, her voice calmed down somewhat, but it was cold. "Would you rather I do this? Hurt you more? I can blow your head off if you really want me to. Fulfil that destiny you so crave." She gave a dry laugh before moving away and sneering, "There's no honour in being killed while everyone thinks you're a thieving rapist."

Lion

Hysaeda swore that if his side didn't hurt so much, he'd tear her head off right then and there.  The anger was starting to swell in him and he suddenly no longer cared if it hurt him to breath.  Already he knew that his lungs hurt when they expanded, but the adrenaline that lurked in his blood grew strong and he was faced with the decision to leave her to die or suck it up and let her live for now.  She'd rely more and more on him in the long run; he had a feeling she would.

He maybe he did just have an fat egotistical head that he wanted to get chopped off.  He thought about it for a moment, and found there to be some truth to her claims.  She had every right to be angry, but he still didn't want to feel as if he owed her anything.  It was like she saved him from some kind of hungry monster waiting beneath and abyss of fog.  Maybe he'd hold her to that debt after all, though she'd probably feel that such a debt had been paid off.  Well, he'd have to think about it after a while.

Still angry with her, he merely grunted displeased when she gripped his side, but scowled at her with all the fury his pained body could muster.  "I don't care if you hurt me," he spat back.  "It would never be as much as you already did.  But it doesn't matter anymore than you think it does.  I don't care what you think of me, or anyone.  My body is but a vessel, my soul is immortal."  Hysaeda snatched up her hair and shoved her further away as she walked away.  "You're no help to anyone.  Now that I'm out, you should probably go home where you belong, even if you'll be killed on account of getting me out.  You shouldn't have made that kind of risk for me."

He stalked further away and followed the stream to where he thought was going to be south.  He held on to his side until he reached to where he left his thrashed cuirass.  He didn't bother to reequip it.  Instead, he slung it over his shoulder.  "I have to go back to get my things..."  But then he remembered that they were days away in a small hole in a rockside where he'd slipped and fell more than two weeks ago.  "Do you have a compass by the way?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Do you have a compass by the way.

Adalia mocked him in her head, her tongue sticking out and she glared at his back before she hoisted herself onto Atras. Tried still, Adalia felt her self control gone. If he said one more smart assed stupid thing she was going to kick him in the head, hope he passed out then leave him for the wolves. Her hand went to the back of her head and she rubbed at it, still stinging from when he'd pulled her hair. Jerk.

"I'm not stupid. I'm not going back there. I'd rather die on my feet out here by getting eaten by a bear than live on my knees and die for saving your sorry ass. Something I did because I felt it was right." Even if he was ungrateful, she still thought it was the right choice. Adalia nudged Atras who meandered over to Hysaeda while she reached into a bag and pulled one out.

While she was at it, she rifled more through her bag and pulled out the sketches she did of the things she saw on that shelf. Hysaeda was awake, it would make sense to ask him now before they did anything of importance. Like fight. After reaching down to hold out the compass she held out the papers. "Do you recognize any of these? They were in Captain Rale's office. And he was nervous when I mentioned the Thunderblacks. So.. Maybe you know what they are?"

Lion

Now she was just being dumb

"I don't mean back there.  To that hellish place.  I mean back to the camp, where you found me the first time.  I need to get my things.  My bow, my sword, my gear.  I bet my insense is burnt out by now, no thanks to you.  I'm never going to return to Arca for as long as I live.  I just need to find my way."  He reached for her compass with his good arm, gripping it and holding it until the northern arrow remained still.  Where he faced, was not south, but in fact west.  Continuing would mean hitting the highlands again.  He didn't think this was the right direction right now, but it would do.  He knew that by now, discovery was just occurring.  Within a matter of a few hours, they would send out troops or someone to come looking for them.

After a few more moments of studying, he finally realized that she was holding something else out for him to inspect.  "Thunderblacks?" he repeated, exchanging the compass with the papers.  He kept where he was going safely tucked away in his head and glanced over the sketches. At first they were just obscure, quickly sketched drawings of ancient-looking weapons, some jewel-encrusted and decored.  Then there were the talismans that seemed somewhat ornate.  "Rale...  who is this man?  Is he your superior, the one you talked to on my behalf?  I recognize some of these archaic weapons.  These are Umbraeon artifacts...some of Xelikuda make...  Dear Umbra..."

He looked them over again and again to make sure they were correct.  One never knew if they could exactly be right.  But no matter how many times he looked them over, they seemed to be correct.  "If this is what I think it is.  We have to get moving now."  And he climbed on the back of Atras as best he could, fitting the loose cuirass between Adalia and he.  "Move in that direction.  I don't think they're going to wait to come after us."
~~~
Quijira was directly behind the line of guards that she ordered to go and retrieve the drow-looking prisoner.  Today was the day of his execution and now that dawn had arisen, it was time.  Spectators would be forming in the courtyard soon enough, and she couldn't afford a bad show.  Rale expected only the best and he could trust that Quijira would deliver.

She equipped herself in the finest Warden's regalia and marched down the hallway past the other prisoners, her head held high with pride.  But she saw the guard she left on night duty the previous evening standing beside the cell looking very pale and sick.  "What's wrong here?" she asked adamantly, reaching him.  He pointed to the side and she looked in to find the cell empty.  With eyes wide, she was tempted to go into a flurry of questions after doing several double-takes between the cell and the guard, she stood up with her back straight and regained her composure.

"You failed," she said simply, glaring at him with cold anger.

"I know, W-warden.  I-I...didn't know...  Um, it was empty when I came down the hall.  I don't know how he could have..."

"Save it.  Well, this is just a minor setback."  Quijira waved her hand negligently.

"What do you mean, Warden?"

"Rale is expecting a good show out there and the spectator's expect no less.  You've failed your duty.  But we'll have an execution as scheduled.  Take him to the headsman's block."  Two guards looked at her uncertain at first, but then went forward to grab the pale guard.  She turned to watch as they dragged him screaming down the hall.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"Well, if you lit it up two weeks ago, yeah, your incense has probably burned out. Damn whiney." Adalia snarled quietly before going quiet, feeling the paper leave her hand. His mumbling went way over her head, before she could answer him about Rale being her superior he started to mumble. Something about Umbraeons. Only thing Adalia knew about Umbraeon was that they were very posessive of their stuff and if anyone shared it they'd kill the person that shared.

Slowly she looked at Hysaeda, leering at him. Shaking her head, confused. Go in that direction he said. Yeah whatever. That direction. Adalia made a quiet noise, signalling Atras to go forward before moving her hand to her mouth to yawn widely. Hopefully she'd get some sleep tonight. If they stopped. Her face crumpled and she closed her eyes. Stupid, stupid idea.

Adalia groaned quietly while Atras made his way in the direction they wanted. Whatever. Hysaeda had crap to do and... Adalia never would again.

Crap crap crap! ( =D you can time skip this time!)

~~~

That prisoner was gone. He wasn't a stupid man. He knew there could only be one person who would go behind his back so carefully. That stupid mage knight. His fist clenched. More irritated at the stupid mage knight than the prisoner. Rale hadn't seen him. Just knew that he looked like a drow. Nothing amazing.

The fact she'd asked about the thunderblacks sent his back spine shivering. Did she know? Did her companion know? Were they working together to figure this out? That stupid woman spent too much time staring at his shelf.

He was also pretty sure Quijira was slightly insane. Killing a guard. Rale pinched the bridge of his nose. Now he had to explain to a family why he wasn't going to be home. Cover up for the warden.

Rale needed her though.

Even if she was batshit insane. He walked over to her, not wanting to stir the pot and tell her what he thought of her and her display. She could have told him flat out that the prisoner escaped instead of... Bah. "We're going to go after them. Get your best tracker, understood? You get to come since you helped start this mess. Mentioning the Thunderblacks to that woman." Rale rolled his eyes and ran a hand through his greying hair. "Don't bring a platoon. We'll go faster with just us. We leave as soon as possible, hopefully before noon."

Lion

Hysaeda urged them west as quickly as they could, despite the state of his body.  His wounds ached and raged at him for irritating him so, but he didn't care, he couldn't be bothered by minor pains when greater things were at stake here.  But in his mind, he mulled over and over just what they might be planning with those items.  Some of them were unfamiliar and had no trace of being in Umbraeon hands.  It was the ornate ones.  Umbraeon weapons were simple for practical use in slaughter and war.  Jewels did not make a sword sharper unless it was on the blade.

He moved and acted as if wounds were nothing to him and he reached his arms around Adalia as the horse raced on.  He press his heels into Atras like she taught him to do, hoping it would make the horse go faster.  The sooner they reached the south, the better.  For now west was the better direction to go.  Then he'd show her a trail through the Highlands and lead her south from there.  He knew that they had no time to waste except for the night.  Waking up early would have to be imperative.  Then the realization that he'd have to take Adalia with him into Umbraeon lands made him panic for a second...  He'd have to tell her about it later.

The hours of travel passed quickly and immediately he found himself holding the new reins from behind her, prodding her to relax a little, even if it meant sacrificing his personal space.   They ended up a good distance from where they were before, covering several miles in a matter of hours that would take a whole troop near a full day.  Hysaeda led the horse to a small hole in a rockface and hopped off, his legs aching and his stance awkward.  "This should be a good place to stop for now.  C'mon, we need some rest and I don't think anyone after us is going to be traveling through these lands at night.  Never know what's out there."

~~~
Quijira eyed Rale with hard eyes.  She didn't expect him to question her, but nor did she expect him to reprimand her.  She was confident in her actions and would not be questions, even if she wasn't one of his goonies.  She stood on her own side, did the duty expected of her and nothing less.  To be anything less was worse than dying.

"I'll get my men ready.  My personal guard are much better than any of these oafs serving under you.  And I promise you, we'll find that rat bastard and his albino whore.  But if I do this, I get a cut of any profits you make over the next five years."  She smiled knowingly and left the room to carry out the task.

They left soon enough and were on the main road.  Quijira called to one of her men to scout ahead, looking for any sign of travelers that had been around here in the last twenty-four hours.  They couldn't have gone for, or so she thought.

[I think we can cut Rale and Quijira out of the next few scenes for a while as they'll just be trying to track their trail]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

It took Adalia a long while to notice that she wasn't holding the reins anymore. That Hysaeda was leading Atras. When did that happen? Did she fall asleep? Her fingers went to her eyes and she moved a hand to her mouth when she yawned.

Why did they stop?

Adalia slid off the horse after Hysaeda. Legs crumpling under her with her fatigue. Her head was heavy and her eyes were tired. She clung to Atras side for a good long while before she woke up enough to undo the saddle bags and saddle.  Moving to his face to pet at his face and murmur the soft old serenian words into his ears. A hand went over his back, her fingers used to pet at the sweat covered fur.

"Right. Rest." Adalia yawned again, quickly sitting down once she was finished petting Atras' fur. He wandered over and sat down too, resting his head beside her leg. Adalia eyed the bag with the food in it, staring at it for a moment before deciding she was too tired to sleep. After giving Atras' head a pat she dusted a few rocks away from a spot on the ground and laid down her head going onto her arm. "Anything you need before I die?" Her voice was slurred and she curled up, frowning when her stomach made protests to her sleeping without feeding it.

Didn't care though. Too tired. "You can tell me why the drawings freaked you out tomorrow, 'kay Hysaeda?"

Lion

Darkness was already overhead, hanging on them and scaring off the rest of daylight with a blend of colors across the sky.  It was still to dark to read the sky just yet, but Hysaeda would stay up a little later to see what they had to say to him.  It was a strange skill to learn how to read the stars, but no matter where one was, there was always a message to decipher from them.  Hysaeda hoped that any message entailed in the sky would help him (or them) some way in the journey southward.  Even if it was for their pursuers, whoever they were, to fall into the tentacled monster chasm.

He helped her, dragging the bags off to the side and knew that it was best that he got some rest to.  He felt like he hadn't slept in years, which may as well have been.  Sometimes apprentices were worked to the core and were known to rest for several days at a time, not waking until weeks, or even months later.  There was little knowledge that could be explained as exactly how they were capable of doing this, but Hsyaeda didn't quite fit it into his schedule to find out.

"You won't die," he said softly, no ill-intent in his voice right now.  "Not yet.  And not by my hand that is.  For now you'll live.  But Adalia, before you sleep there is something you should know...  I'm going to take you to the Thunderblacks.  But on certain conditions.  I'll tell you those later.  Just know that that's where we're headed for now after we go and get my gear."  He pat her head and stood up by the cave entrance, disappeared inside for a second then came out with a large rock, that he shoved with his feet.  Strength was still quite not what it should have been.  But he had a few things to do before he could get some sleep.

"Go to sleep Adalaia.  You'll need it.  We're going to rise early again in the morning."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

A sad groan left her mouth when Hysaeda told her she wasn't going to die. Well, phooey. She cracked open an eye and watched him while he spoke, moaning when he mentioned the Thunderblacks. Why did she have to go there? Adalia covered her face with her hands and sighed before she curled up again, frowning. Explain it to her tomorrow. Good idea.

Adalia went cross eyed and looked up when he pat her head. Wanting to grab it and pull him down with her. Something remotely warm to sleep on. Her hand went up to grab his even, but she noticed it and quickly pushed it under her head. " 'kay. Certain conditions. Hear about 'em in the morning." She yawned and stretched, her back arching before she grumbled and removed the corset, sneering at it before tossing it off to the side.

"I know I'll need it. I need it now. I was awake all day yesterday and all night and most of today and I don't even know when you started to guide Atras but good job, by the way. I...  Yeah. Early morning." Her fingers went up and she rested her head down onto her arm, "sweet dreams when you sleep. "

The woman curled up then, one arm moving to cradle her torso, the other up and bent to use as a pillow. Too tired to be cold or hungry. She dozed off quickly, her lips parted and her eyes closed. Breath was even and Adalia was clearly in a very deep sleep.

Lion

The sleep was closing in on Hysaeda too, but he was trying to align a series of rocks together that would take the shape of something he saw in the stars above.  It wouldn't be anything spectacular but would serve as a distraction strange enough to hopefully hold back their pursuers by a day's travel at least.  Whatever time was given to him, he would make use of.  Setbacks would be ignored and he'd make up for them later.

Hysaeda didn't work himself too much as he pushed the last stone into place.  From a bird's eye view, one would see a serpent's head shaped in the rocks on the ground below.  That might be a sign foreboding enough for any travelers, not just their pursuers.  Hysaeda wouldn't be his life on it though.  But it was the effort toward something like that that counted most.  Finally, he could rest and he sat down on one of the rocks closest to Adalia and took some time to meditate, concentrating on healing his wounds and the aches that still tried to hurt him.

Most were successful now that he was completely still, but he would not be moved by their throbbings.  Hysaeda kept his breath even, in complete tune with Adalia's as she slept and soon fell asleep himself sitting upright and keeping up his mantra.  His whole body was relaxed and soon the hours of night passed and with the first hint of dawn, he'd awakened and was standing over Adalia.  He nudged her with his foot and pat her head again, "Adalia, get up.  It's time to go.  We have to get going now, then we'll take a break later."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Not a peep nor a dream bothered her while she slept. Adalia slept deeply and completely and woke up with a low moan after being nudged. Her hand flew out and smacked his shin, sitting up, eyes closed still while she stretched and rubbed at her neck. Stupid ground. Gave up a comfy expensive bed to save his stupid life and... Slowly she opened her eyes and looked up, up, up at Hysaeda.

Oh right.

" 'm awake." Her hands pulled the tie out of her hair and she finger brushed it before she tied it up again. Adalia stood up, stretching widely before bending down and retying the corset, running her hands along her front before dusting off her back. Groaning when she stretched. "Don't think I'll ever get used to sleeping on the ground." She yawned again and looked at Hysaeda.

"Atras is a strong horse. We only take a break if he needs one." Atras was awake already, eating some grass. Perking up and wandering over when he heard Adalia's voice, presenting his back for the saddlebags and the saddle, knowing they had things to do and places to get to. Adalia smiled at her horse sleepily, moving to kiss his nose. "Ah, I love you." After giving him pets and attention before moving to one of the saddle bags to pull out the parishable food she left the day before.

It wasn't stale yet, she'd packed it well. After finishing a piece of cheese she ate a bit of bread before eyeing Hysaeda. "Do you milk cows and have farms over in... Umbraeon land? There's food in the saddle bags. It's not salty jerky," She waved the half eaten piece of bread at him and then pointed to the saddle bag, "And what's that condition for going into the thunderblacks? You don't have to blind me or marry me or anything do you?" Adalia was sure both of them would rather die then get married. She hoped he stared in horror at that suggestion.

Lion

His limbs felt a whole lot better and his joints complied as well.  Hysaeda felt like a well-oiled machine, the gears of a clock each in it's proper place and greased to perform the job it was created to do.  But unlike a machine he was still very hungry and he felt his stomach rally against him with all the fury it could manage.  The rumbling was like an earthquake inside of him and the vibrations hurt his side.

Clutching at it briefly, he winced and sucked in sharply.  Damn, he needed his side to heal as quickly as possible or he'd be slowing down the very journey he wanted to start.  He couldn't believe it now that he'd actually given thought to the possibility of Adalia slowing them all down.  Atras seemed eager to get a move on and he pat the horse a little as he passed by, then ignored him as he usually did.

"Farms?  No, not like your people do.  We have small communities and work together for the most part, keeping each other safe and providing where provisions are needed.  But other than that we work on our own to survive.  We generally consider farming to be slow.  Meat is quick sustenance that is easy to find where we live...but that is just my tribe."  Hysaeda rummaged through her saddlebags and found what she indicated and was satisfied that it wasn't what that crap she carried before.

He'd be satisfied with he found for the staleness added a hardness not found in most meats aside from jerky.  He munched slowly then nodded.  "Not bad," he muttered, mid-chew.  "Not great, but I'll make it better soon.... This'll....WHAT?"  He tried not to stare and swallowed the food uncomfortably as he finished.  "I didn't think you wanted to get married that fast, but um, no...But, things are different where I'm from.  Your kind of people don't walk around freely and aren't fair game to be killed or enslaved.  The safest place for you to travel would be to go as my slave."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Work on our own to survive.

Maybe that was why he was such an asshole.

Adalia was used to help. She liked help. Adalia would rather ask for help than attempt something she knew she couldn't do. "It's bread. Br-eh-dah." Adalia examined her own piece, "The cook at home made it. It's not made out of animals." Just incase he had lived in that cave for a while. The reaction to marriage made her grin, but then it was her turn to stare in horror when he told her what they had to do instead.

"I suggested marriage as a worst-case scenario and even then I was joking! I don't know how to be a slave! And besides, I only implied it at the gate so we could get through!" Adalia shoved the rest of her piece of bread into her mouth. They still had plenty of it left and she knew it would go bad in another day or so. A slave. Adalia frowned and crossed her arms over her chest and moved to the bags, grabbing them and putting them onto the horse who stood and stared.

A slave. She'd be a horrible slave. Adalia paused and looked back at Hysaeda, what kind of slaves would they have if they didn't do farming stuff? "Um. If it helps I will play along, but I wanna know what kind of slaves your people have first. If you don't have farm, or... Anything like that." That left... Fighting? Her cheeks went pink when it went to a different kind of slave and she made her brain stick to fighting, "Uhm.. Do you use them... to fight one another?" Her fingers brushed at Atras' mane, careful to keep her face turned away.

Lion

He expected as much of a reaction out of her.  No change there; and probably no chance of them ever becoming anything close to friends or even familiar strangers.  Hysaeda was apprehensive about taking her to the Thunderblacks.  They'd have to be cautious about where they stepped for there was a good chance that they could be attacked by outcast tribes and taken to be slaves there.  Bandits were rare with the exception of the raiders from the plains below.  The tribes were spread far apart from each other and were well secluded from discovery.  He even heard stories of tribes that had magical barriers that prevented travelers from ever discovering their clanlands.

"Yes!  A slave.  Look Adalia, there's not much to discuss about it.  Slaves are slaves, they do what they're told.  Usually help out around the household, sometimes polish weapons.  They're servants and do what needs to be done.  Slaves are not used for that kind of thing," he said, referring to the fighting, though knowing she was probably thinking about anything else.  "You won't really be my slave.  It's in title only.  We'll make a good show and nobody will think otherwise.  Slaves are treated like dirt though, but I'll treat you with what you deserve; it's up to the owner to treat them however they want."

Hysaeda pat her shoulder then waited for her to get on the horse.  "You'll be safe, I assure you.  If not, they'll think you're fair game as all the rest and will likely kill you or worse.  Well, maybe, you can never really know.  Maybe they'll make you food.  I don't know.  But stick with me and you should be fine. Come on, get on the horse."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

A loud sigh of relief. Well that made being a slave a bit better. Make a good show. She wouldn't have to fight or do anything... Strange. Adalia closed her eyes and nuzzled into Atras' neck before turning around and looking at Hysaeda after the pat on the shoulder. It felt reassuring. Nice. Like the pats on her head. Adalia blinked at him, watching him curiously for a moment, wondering just what he was up to. It was odd for him to willingly touch her.

Not that she was going to complain. Reassuring touches were nice. Even if they were pats on the head and the shoulders. Adalia got onto the horse, shifting forward and removing her feet from the stirrups. Adalia had doubts about her actually using the reins for the next while, she didn't know where they were going. "Okay. I can do that. I.. I can act." Adalia gave a dry laugh, "I promise not to give you an excuse to punish me, Master."  She licked her lips and pet Atras' fur.

"They... Eat people?" Adalia looked at Hysaeda, slightly worried, "This is the real trust part. If you're doing this just to get back at me. I'm trusting you not to do that."  She licked her lips before taking a deep breath, "I know I don't deserve it. That I ruined a lot of things. That you could probably just... Decide to take me as some sort of slave to do your ... cooking. Or..." She frowned slightly, "Something. But can I trust you not to do that? That as soon as we leave the Thunderblacks it'll be back to normal?"

After the words left her mouth she frowned, then shook her head. Talking about the future. Back to normal. Her chest felt empty when she realised she had no idea what her own future had. Live alone with Atras? Find a village to take pity on her? After growing quiet she simply turned away to stare at the horses mane, fingers idly playing with his mane.