Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Serpent In Chains (Draccy)

Started by Lion, February 21, 2010, 10:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Hysaeda rolled his eyes and smirked slightly, shaking his head in disapproval.  This was going to be an incredibly long trip if they were going to pull this off.  He didn't know how successfully they'd be able to make a relationship of master and servant...  He didn't know anything about being a master to anyone.  He'd never dreamed of a day like this where he'd be forced to have some albino outlander in his care.  But he was determined that she wasn't going to be on her own for now.  No thought strayed to the future for now when things would change and he'd be able to depart from her forever. For now he needed her to confirm the things she saw.

"Tch, Master," he found himself laughing and smiled softly.  "But, in truth and honesty, I hope you won't.  I'm not the punishing type, but I'm not going to handle you well if you do something stupid.  So, please don't."  He got on the horse up after her and didn't care about what distance was between them.  He pressed his heels into Atras' side to get him going.

"Eat people? NO!  No, we don't eat people.  I told you before, it's an insult and if you were going to be eaten, you'd be fed to the dogs.  They enjoy outlander meat, or any meat for that matter.  But I'll tell you what.  As hard as it is for me to say this, I'm going to make a promise to you.  I'll protect you from getting eaten by anything.  For as long as we are traveling to the Thunderblacks, I will protect you.  Okay?

"Now, come on, get this beast in motion, they're gaining on us with every second we waste."  He pat her shoulder again (something he was starting to get used to) and looked behind them, hoping that his distraction would work for a time.  For all he knew, there might actually have been a great serpent lurking in the cave.  He heard the High Lord here liked to keep dangerous creatures in dark caves as pets; pets that didn't fit in his chambers.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

The threat that wasn't a threat made her nod slowly. Please don't make a fuss. Adalia swallowed and nodded slowly. "Well. I'd rather feed cute dogs than cannibals." She looked away before she felt Atras move at the nudges Hysaeda was giving him. The horse started to walk and she ducked her head forward when she heard Hysaeda's promise. Turning around to smile at him, she gave a nod. "Okay. Thank you."

No one knew better than her how much they needed to move. What getting caught would mean. Reaching behind her she took Hysaeda's hands and brought them around her. "Now. Since you know where we're going, and me sitting behind you doesn't work," She moved backwards a little, closing the space between them, "You're going to have to do this with me in front of you." Taking his hands she put the reins in them before nuding Atras again, making them move faster.

Not having to move Atras in the right direction would let her think. Hysaeda was either high again, really tired or... Didn't hate her quite as much. She chewed on her lips while they rode, looking down at the ground, holding onto Atras' neck. Without both of them leaning away from one another, there really was very little room in the saddle. She could feel the lower part of her back pressing against his stomach.

While she knew Hysaeda had always held a distinct disgust for anything not her breasts, she was surprised with all his recent pats. Where was the fury from not letting him die? Did she get through that thick skull about his destiny crap? Adalia looked over her shoulder, tempted to ask, but she resisted and instead quickly looked away.

"Hysaeda. Are you..." Adalia frowned before leaning back a little and pulling a glove off her hand. Like always, her hands looked hurt and abused, her palms and finger tips were shiny from burn scars but she pressed the pale back side of her hand against his forehead for a moment before pulling it back and wiggling her fingers. "Sick? Or something? You're acting kind of strange. Worried? Did you get hit in the head a lot?"

Lion

When preoccupied, Hysaeda didn't really have a chance to think how much he hated the woman who sat in front of him on the saddle.  Still, the thing he sat on was uncomfortable and he pulled his knees closer up instead of letting his feet just dangle like useless things.  He pressed them into the saddle and rested his feet on the horse's sides.  He'd forgotten about the reins yet again, but the cuirass was tossed over his shoulder, he couldn't afford to leave it behind as a clue that they'd been there.

He watched absently as she reached for his hands and scooted back, placing the reins in them.  He grabbed them thoughtfully, fingering the new leather.  "They're quite stiff.  Need to break them in."  But he didn't toss them away as he was wont to do with anything given to him from her without notice.  He steered Atras in the right direction and prodded him to pick up the pace even more.  He could run faster, but certainly not in his current condition.  Hopefully, he'd be back on his feet in a day or two and then things would certainly be moving faster.  He didn't want to be dependant on her horse forever.

As unaware of her thoughts as he was, Hysaeda almost ignored her last question.  He was quiet preoccupied with his thoughts, wondering just what was going to happen if what he was feeling was real.  If they were really harvesting artifacts from the Thunderblacks he knew that his people would not like that.  They were their own enemies, but even they had respect for the dead.  This Rale and any of his accomplices would pay with their blood for this insult.

But she had touched his forehead and he blinked at her in confusion.  Maybe she was the one that was sick.  "No!  No, I'm fine.  I'm just thinking.  I've got a lot on my mind anyhow.  What do you mean anyway?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Adalia was quite amazed at how zoned out Hysaeda was. She quickly put her glove back on, disgusted by the appearance of her own hands. Burnt, scarred. Gross. The scars were sensitive, red, smooth to the touch from a few times at failing with channeling the fire magic correctly. Heating up the metal bars of Hysaedas cell managed to do the most damage though, that's what got her palms.

"Oh. I... Sorry." Adalia looked down, wincing when she noticed the stirrups banging against Atras' sides.  " Well, I guess the situation is much different. Don't mind me." She forced a smile before she leaned off to the side, using one of Hysaeda's thighs for support while she looked at his foot. Gently she took the reins and pulled on them, making Atras slow down to a stop.

"Here, take your foot." She steadied the stirrup before putting Hysaeda's foot in it, "Into that. It's easier to ride him when you're sitting in that. Do that with your other foot, too. Then we can go. They bang against his side and since you're leading you use the stirrups. Easier to nudge him. And to stay on the saddle when he runs."

She righted herself up and then shifted in the saddle again, petting his neck. Looking ahead, frowning, she had no idea where they were. Still had to be somewhat close to the main city, they'd only been moving for a day or so. Or was it two days. Her hands rubbed together in front of her and she gave a sigh before removing both her gloves, putting them down the front of her shirt before pressing her bare hands to the horses neck, giving him pets while he moved.

Lion

He eyed her hands for a while too, curious at the scars that ran across them.  He kept staring at them even as she made Atras stop and wondered why she did that to her hands.  After a little unusual shifting from her, he found his feet slung into the stirrups on the saddle and her feet hanging freely.  How did she do that?  His expression became confused and he wondered why he suddenly stopped sliding around on the saddle.  Yes the stirrups certainly made everything more snug.  He laughed at the thought and nudged the horse back into motion.

"Thank you.  I don't know what I was thinking.  I still don't like riding horses, but they're okay one you get used to them.  Still wider than I'm used to, but okay."  He adjusted his feet and shifted closer, then putting them closer to his arches.  The silence was becoming somewhat awkward and he wondered about her hands and was tempted to reach for him.  But before he could stop himself, he grabbed both reigns in one hand and inspected her hands with the other, running his fingers across the scars.

"Do you know why your magic does that to your hands?" he asked, looking over her shoulder and wondering what he might be able to do to amend her hands.  They didn't look ugly to him, he'd seen worse in his training.  In a sense he was a medicine man and he was taught to look at wounds and things that were festering with maggots and learned how to salvage what flesh that could.  "Do you carry these scars with shame?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"I can't imagine riding another animal. They're wide and not that stealthy, but Atras is more of a friend than an animal or a way of transportation." Her voice was quiet, her fingers still running over Atras' neck, she didn't noticed Hysaeda moving to grab her hand until it was too late so she gasped softly and blinked and went a little red when he actually touched her hand.

His touch against the scars made her palm tingle and she swallowed and turned slightly pink. Ashamed of them, and slightly embarrassed that he was touching them. Adalia hated looking at them, ugly things. Her mother forced her to weird gloves when she was at home. While he was examining the scars on her palm she looked at him from over her shoulder. Still embarrassed. "It's fire. It's not magical fire." Adalia flexed her fingers in his grip before relaxing her hand.

"I... When I wear gloves and my gauntlets, my hands are fine, the jewel on them draws the base of the flame away, makes it so my palm isn't..." She went quiet, and moved to take Hysaeda's hands between her own, rubbing her fingertips over his palm and the back of his hand. Adalia used the natural friction to heat up the area between her hands. Hysaeda would feel like he was wearing a glove.

"I'd like to say that no, they're just scars, but." Adalia pulled her hands away to examine them, fingers out, flexing them slightly. "They're disgusting. My hands are ruined, the scars aren't nice to look at. Burn scars. Burn scars are worse than knife ones. At least scars made by cuts can be impressive." Her head dropped forward and she shifted in the saddle again, "It shows that I'm not good with my fire magic. Or magic. My wind breaks my fingers when they're bear, fire burns them." She gave a sigh and drew her hands over her own palms, "I guess I have a very... Solid form of my magic. If I use it wrong I could hurt myself very badly."

Frowning for a moment she looked over her shoulder, blinking slowly, "What are those things on your face?"

Lion

Her hands entranced him for good amount of time.  They were scarred and ugly to most, but he found no ugliness in them.  He was never one to scorn scars if they were in the right place; he could respect them no matter how they were gained.  He carried his own scars with pride and knew that he earned them.  They were markings of his efforts to learn how to survive in the wild on his own, slashes from a bear across his back that tore his flesh apart and another where a large lizard had bitten deep into his side.  Those were early wounds and he'd survived by determination and will.

He had a feeling that her magic had a way of chastising her and making her rely on outwardly objects.  It must have been hard to channel fire that hurt the user.  All he knew was that mysticism allowed him to raise a fire from the natural gases in the air.  It too was real fire, and not exactly a magic fire.  He wasn't so foolish as to place it in his hands, but the flame would obey his command and burn that which he wished it to burn, if it was a flame of his creation.

He listened very closely at her explanation of her scars and kept fingering them until she pulled them away.  He was a little disappointed at that, and also because he was getting a little too fascinated by them.  "My people believe scars tell stories.  Some of foolishness, some of bravery.  But they all have something to teach us.  I think your scars say that you have a lot of potential and are strong in your own way.  Even though it is hard to see, you could be so much more.  I think your burns are a way of your magic telling you this.  It might sound crazy to you, but that's what I think," he said.

He smiled and grabbed for her hand again, rubbing the scars.  "I don't think they're ugly.  You should wear them with pride.  It's a show of how powerful you really are.  I guess I underestimated you."  Letting go of her hand, he now held the reins evenly and pressed Atras to go as fast as he could without breaking into a sprint.  "Things on my face?  Oh you mean my tattoos.  They're my markings.  They mean something where I'm from, who I am, where I belong.  They speak of my bloodline and my clan.  It's one of the ways we tell us apart from Umbraeon to Umbraeon.  The more important you are too, the more elaborate your tattoos are flourished.  We're born with the designs of our markings, and they're drawn on when we reach our third year of life.  It distinguishes us from those bastard drow.

"Speaking of distinguishing.  We might have to change your appearance..."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Maybe the lack of food and the hits to his head knocked a screw loose. Adalia realised the situation was much different this time around, she wasn't making him travel to his potential death. This Hysaeda though. She swallowed when she felt his fingers rubbing her hand, Adalia tried to keep her gaze down, her chewing on her lower lip so she didn't blush at the contact. After she pulled her hands away listened.

The burns were a way of her magic telling her she could be stronger. Maybe. She'd experimented once after she had first realised her fire burned her flesh. Adalia had felt cheated. Any of the mages who created didn't get burned by their own flame, just her as far as she knew. Stuck her finger into a regular candle flame and she had barely noticed it, it was cool compared to the fire she created from her hands. Maybe that was why it had been so easy to char that man from the inside out.

Adalia swallowed and looked down, staring at her leg but her mind in a far off place.

Pulled from her thoughts when Hysaeda grabbed her hand again, she felt her eyes flutter as she watched him examine her hands. They weren't a ladies hand. Any other man would request she wear gloves, or would ignore them, make a face. They were burns. Sure as hell wouldn't say they didn't think they were ugly. "You have strange tastes. It's better to be underestimated, they'd look at my hands and figure I'm stupid or I don't know how to weald whatever was hurting me." Adalia rubbed a thumb on her palm and looked down while he explained the tattoos. Turning back around to look at his face, examining the tattoos a little closer.

Then she opened her mouth. "Change my appearance how? I realise my hair is sort of funny, but... The only thing we can do is dye it. I'm not going to do anything strange like clip my ears or..or.. Tattoo my face." A finger reached up to poke the tattoo on his forehead gently, Adalia had never seen one before. Felt just like skin!

Lion

No they weren't ladies' hands, but he couldn't be bothered by that.  Hands were hands to him, and could be a weapon of destruction or a tool of creation.  He didn't care about delicacies and how soft a woman's hands had to be.  He knew that some societies placed a great store on a woman's hands.  They defined her and her class.  The rougher the hands the lower her station; the softer, the better she would be for breeding.  But he found her scars admirable.  To him, it meant she was a woman with a lot of potential.  Perhaps he could find a way to heal her disfigurement if she wanted it.

"My tastes are strange to someone like you.  But fairly normal where I'm from."  A quick smile at her then he kept his eyes on path they were on, focusing back on the task at hand.  He remembered that they were being chased and he couldn't let himself forget what was really important: Gaining as much distance as possible and away from the cold winds that these mountains would bring in the face of the heat after them.  Their trail had to be a clean one, one not easily tracked or traced.  He had a feeling that their pursuers were smart, but he could only hope that they were as dumb as the guards that held him in the prison...  Was the warden among them?  He'd like to run her through with his blade.  But being weaponless and not stupid enough to get killed by a situation that was easily avoidable, he would get his gear back then figure out what to do.

Hysaeda, looked at her and blinked like an idiot when she poked his forehead.  "What are you doing!?  Hehe, yes, they're real and no, they don't smudge.  They're there forever.  We don't have to do much.  I think dying your hair would be okay, um.  I can pierce your ears.  What color do you want your hair?  And I know a concoction that will allow you to change your eyecolor for a few weeks.  It's fairly strong but tastes a hell of a lot better than that scravat shit."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Fairly normal to like scars? Adalia made a face and shifted again, watching him blink then smiling herself when he said they didn't smudge. A pause. Why would she have to change her appearance? Adalia felt her lips purse and she stared at his chin, his hair was white! And he had dark skin and bright eyes. He'd stand out far more than she would.  Oh, whatever, Hysaeda knew what he was doing, right?

She swallowed and turned back around, taking the gloves out from her shirt and putting them back on, flexing her fingers carefully. Bare hands seemed to be a distraction. "What colour do I want my hair?" Adalia leaned forward a little, pulling the tie from her hair so it could fall from the pony, it wasn't that long, just reaching her shoulder blades, maybe a little longer in the front. She ran her fingers through her hair to take a handful and bring it to her face to look at it.

Maybe brown would be nice. "I guess a dark colour. It's... An interesting colour right now." She gave a dry laugh and then looked over her shoulder again, "Pierce my ears? Change my eye colour?" Adalia licked her lips and squinted at him, leaning up a little to look closer at his eyes, "What colour would they go? My eyes aren't that strange are they? I mean, I know they're really green but I'm Serenien so... Oooh... I guess. Hm." She sat back down and gave a sigh before pressing a hand to her chest. "Sure, Dye my hair, change my eyes and pierce my ears."

Adalia turned to look at the tattoo again, "can you tell me what your tattoo means? Or will you have to die if you do?" She paused, "Why do you hate Drow? You look the same...Only you're... Much, much taller."  Adalia recalled drow being rather short, and small, lithe. Adalia looked at his shoulders and chest before quickly averting her gaze, "and... um... Wider."

Lion

"A dark color?  Are you sure you want it?  It should be okay, considering your complexion.  Perhaps a brown, or maybe a blue.  I don't think a violet dye is right.  You want to blend in, not stand out.  Very well, if there is time.  I'll make the right formulas for you to use.  Maybe blue eyes would suit you.  After a while, it'll wash out and you'll look more like yourself again.  I'm sure you'd like that."  Hysaeda kept up the pace of the horse and found he was getting better than he'd thought he'd be at first.  Horses weren't exactly his forte.

"Don't worry.  I'll make it all look as natural as I possibly can.  Yes, you're Serenian, as you put it, but you'll like a Burned One before I'm finished with you."  Hysaeda looked at the sky and realized they must have been talking for some time.  Atras had covered a substantial amount of ground and he didn't want to be the one to hold him back.  For all his doubts that he'd given the beast, he proved to be reliable and did what they wanted him to do.  Maybe they'd make it through to the south faster than he thought.

"My tattoos are the mark of the serpent.  My star sign according to my people.  The designs below my eyes are fangs, sorta.  But there's more to it than just that.  The other designs mean something you wouldn't really understand and are difficult to explain fully.  I'll tell you someday, maybe.  When you've earned it."  Then she mentioned the drow and his expression went cold, bitter hate running in his eyes.  "I hate them because they are the true enemy.  They're demons that drain life of it's beauty and travel from one realm to the next, consuming everything that they can.  Umbraeons hate them, and want nothing to do with them...  But they are my personal bane...because I look like them.  Umbraeons don't have white hair amongst them.  White hair is considered the mark of the drow.  Though I am Umbraeon by blood and scent, by origin and clan, I am scorned by the whole of my people.  I'll never be truly accepted by them.  That's why I wander alone in the forests.  When I'm alone, I don't have to worry.  But I will still hate those demons.  It's in my blood....

"Don't you have any enemies?"  There was more to the story.  Hysaeda could have gone on and on of the minor battles to drive hidden hordes of drow from the continent from the caves in the mountains.  Or of the story of how his god was slain by drow murderers.  But that was a tale for another time, for another age.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Was that a mean pun?

Adalia looked down at her gloved hands when he said burned one. If it was a pun it wasn't a very funny one. Her lips drew into a thin line and she pressed her hands to her thighs. Burned One. Had to be a mean pun. She licked her lips and frowned, she'd ask later. And remember never to mention drow again.

The look on his face made her lean away. Adalia decided not to confirm that yes, he did look like one. She swallowed when he got to the little details of why he hated Drow. His people hated them, he looked like one. Saying something silly like 'I don't think you look like a drow,' would be stupid. Instead she put a hand on his arm and rubbed it with her thumb. Supposed to be a reassuring gesture. "I'm sorry." Half sorry for invading his space when he was apparently so used to being alone. Half sorry for things that weren't her fault.

Adalia blinked and put her hands back into her lap, pursing her lips for a moment. "Now? I think those guards I seduced would consider me an enemy. I got them into a lot of trouble. The warden. Rale." She ducked her head and bit down on her lip, "My country. I defected, I can't go home. My family will probably disown me to save face, I was nothing but a little pawn for them anyway." Her hands reached forward to Atras neck, fingers brushing at his mane.

"I guess I have quite a few enemies now." Adalia gave a dry laugh and then grew silent, swallowing thickly, willing the lump of tears in her throat to go away. Now would not be a good time for her to lose her composure. At least wait until you were in a river and you could hide your face, or when you could go hide somewhere else entirely.  Like in a tree. Or a hole in the ground. Swallowing thickly she let ducked her head further down before breathing quietly, "What's a Burned One?" her words sounded wet, forced, but they were still understandable. A distraction would be good, no more mention of home or... Not home.

Lion

He had a funny way of saying the names of the other mortal races.  Almost three hundred years and he still didn't like calling Adelans or Serenians by their rightful names.  To him they were Burned and Pale Ones, respectively.  He didn't care much for the Connlaothians either, but he left them alone and no thoughts concerned them.  He had more immediate issues to deal with and sometimes those involved the Burned or Pale mortals.  Humans were an odd bunch to him and he found association with them to be strange even this day and age.  Thankfully most of his time was spent alone or their bad habits would rub off on him.

But anger still surged in him at the slightest mention of the drow, the eternal enemy of his people.  They were monsters and needed to be slaughtered all of them, no matter the cost.  The day that their god returned would drive them into the light and into the end of a sword, gutting them from existence in their land.  Then he felt something on his arm and saw Adalia rubbing it, trying to comfort him.  He nodded to her solemnly but did not smile; he was still seething inside and needed a moment to cool on by himself.  He didn't want to be like this right now.  Instead he focused back on the path ahead, steering Atras away from a tree.

Hysaeda blinked at her and listened to her list of enemies and he felt sorry for her for a time.  He knew what it was like to be scorned, but not by his own will.  Circumstances made things difficult for the both of them.  "I knew you risked much...but I didn't realize that—"  He stopped, knowing saying more would make things more difficult for her.  Though he still didn't trust her completely, she was the closest thing to an ally he had within a thousand miles.  Not even his own clan could he trust, except those of his own blood.  "I knew you shouldn't have saved me...  You shouldn't have done that.  Now you have no place where you belong."

He knew it was best to avert the conversation to something else and complied when she mentioned something else.  "An Adelan," he said simply.  "I call them burned ones because of their tanned skin.  We're more like soot or black mud than them.  That is why I call them burned ones.  I hope you ...You didn't think I was talking about your hand, were you?  I hope not.  Because I wouldn't never insult something like that that you should carry with pride.  No.  You are not a burned one."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

It didn't taste nice. Knowing that she didn't have anywhere to go. It made her eyes burn and her mouth dry. It was a slight relief that Burned One wasn't a mean pun."Oh." Was all she answered, her head lifted up a little and she glared down at the gloves on her hands. Something she should wear with pride. With a quiet breath, Adalia picked the gloves off her fingers, putting it into a pants pocket before removing the other one again.

She could learn how to do that. Felt nicer not wearing gloves. Different.

Hm. The lump had gone and she took a deep breath. "I made a promise." At first her voice was quiet but then she turned around to look at him, "Faeries can't lie. At least not my type. My father experiences horrible migraines when he lies, gets ill." Adalia looked down at his collar bone before raising her eyes again, "Breaking a promise is like lying. Just time between the migraine and being ill is different," She smiled a little and turned back around, pushing her hair past her ears. "I'm more Fae than elf. "

Adalia licked her lips and turned around to look at Hysaeda again, "I don't make promises that I don't intend to keep, I know you're not happy about what I did, and I truly am sorry. I couldn't let them kill you." She took a breath, "And besides, it's a big world right? After we part I'm sure I'll find somewhere for me." She fingered the burn scars and smirked, "Don't think people will look at these and think what you do though." Adalia winced slightly and looked up again, "Do you hate me?"

Lion

Hysaeda eyed her hands as they peeled off her gloves, something that looked awfully painful to do though no sounds of pain came.  Perhaps taking off her gloves was a testament for the beginning of the rest of her life.  He'd forgotten that she was still quite young in her years, only twenty-one, minuscule in comparison to his two hundred and fifty-six years.  Now he really felt old.  He had more experience than her in this kind of thing, and though he didn't exactly feel that he belonged anywhere more than the earth, he had his place among a clan.  His father would die and he would take his place when the time came.  But in that time he would suffer the company of the pale woman and her chestnut horse.

If he had a choice he wouldn't exactly be with her.  If he had a say, he'd be alone.  But then he realized he did have a say.  He could have left her to die and suffer at the hands of her country that now hounded the both of them.  He could almost feel the hands of Rale at this throat though he'd never seen the man.  He could feel their presence approaching and that made him pressed ever harder on Atras to keep going.  Steering the horse, he made sure his footing was stolid and infallible and easy to venture over.  That made the ride a lot less bumpy and he found himself sitting much easier in the saddle.

"I've never heard of that before.  But then I don't know much about the Fae anyway.  At least today," he smiled at her, "I learned something new.  So you can't lie, huh?  That makes things simpler for me, but harder for us both.  It is gong to be difficult then for us to manipulate the wiliness of slave traders.  I fear I'm going to have to gain a pair of slave bracers for you.  That will convince them better...but—"  He didn't want to finish what he had to say due to the true nature of Umbraeon slave bracers.  They were like most bracers in appearance, but they were enchanted articles of metal and did not need to be bound by chains.  The bracers tapped into the fatigue resources of their wearer and prevented them from escape by draining all their bodily energy if they tried to run, or gain any distance away from their key.  The further the wearer ran, the quicker they were drained and forced to collapse to the ground in exhaustion.

Listening to her explanation again of how she couldn't let him die made him roll his eyes.  "So you've said.  But I still believe it was an unnecessary promise.  I suppose though," he started after some difficulty, clearing his throat from growing stress.  "That I should, ahem, thank you for saving me.  I don't...want to die, but I'm not afraid to."  His voice was solemn once again and he refused to look at her.  That was until she brought up something else.

He looked at her with clouded eyes and was unsure exactly how to answer that question.  He couldn't say that he did hate her now, because the truth was, he was afraid he was starting to become accustomed to her presence, becoming somewhat fond of a person he should have killed the first night she captured him.  But the answer slipped from his tongue before he could modify it.  "No."  Clearing his throat he was quick to add, "Not right now at least.  Why do you care anyway if I hate your or not?  Promises or not, I don't recall you liking me much either."

The sky was growing dark now as they had been riding for some time and Atras was sleek with horse sweat, his nostrils red and flaring from breathing hard.  Hysaeda pulled Atras to a stop, gently just as a few fat drops of rain fell on his head.  "Damn the gods," he muttered, looking up at the sky.  "We should stop here.  The rain will make bad footing for this Rale of yours and any people he has with him.  That alcove right there should shield us some."  He got off the horse and led him to the large jutting cliff-face that hung over a gentle slope.  It looked very much like an opening to a cave but he could see nothing through the darkness except a stone wall.  "We'll be okay here for some rest and respite."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Did it count as a lie if she was just pretending to be something she wasn't? Adalia frowned, pressing her hands to her stomach, pondering. It wouldn't make lying harder, it would just make her head hurt. Physically ill. If she could still pretend to be a slave or something like that then there would be no harm in her being ill. Her lower lip went between her teeth and she was quiet while he answered.

She smiled a little when he said thank you. Adalia figured he'd been really mad. Cheated him out of his death. What an honorable way to die, having your head chopped off my an executioner. The smile widened a little when he didn't hate her. She guessed that he didn't like her face much, but he didn't hate her, so that was something else that made her feel a little better.

When he said that he didn't recall her liking him much either, she turned around quickly and opened her mouth to retort when a fat raindrop hit her nose. Well, that couldn't be good. Adalia relaxed when Hysaeda suggested stopping, that was a good idea. Atras needed a well deserved rest. After Hysaeda got off the horse, Adalia hopped down after him, quickly removing the bits of leather and metal off of the horses head.

"Atras." Her voice was soft while she cooed to the horse, petting his nose, rubbing his neck. She made quick work of the things on his back, putting them off to the side where it was dry. Once he was bare she gently lead him out into the rain, rubbing her hands over his sweaty back and letting him catch his breath. The rain wasn't loud enough to drown out her voice, so while she worked, Atras and herself decently wet, she cleared her throught.

"I only didn't like you when I thought you were a Rogue." She still didn't understand why he didn't just pretend to be a kidnapped person to be made a slave, but Adalia wasn't about to make that comment again, "After I realised you clearly not, I didn't hate you." She finger combed Atras mane before she moved back to his head and lead him to a dry area. Cooled down and with his breath even, the horse layed down. Adalia moved in after and sat down on the ground, "I would like to get along with you better," Adalia gave a sheepish smile and kept her eyes on the ground, her wet hair clinging to her face and neck "but I can understand if you wouldn't want that. It... I imagine the last two weeks for you has been awful."

Concern drew her eyebrows together and she quickly looked him over, eyeing the side where he'd been hurt. "How are your wounds? Do you feel any better?"

Lion

A hand went over his butt cheeks where he'd been riding the saddle hard.  They'd gone pretty fast for the hours they'd been riding and now that darkness was falling among them, they'd finally come to a much needed stop.  Hysaeda forgot all about his side and was amazed now that he realized that it didn't hurt as much as he thought.  But of course, realizing it now, brought back a wagonload of throbbing that he wished he'd still ignore.  It was impossible to do that now that he'd upset himself, but he'd deal with it.  He continued to rub his rump muscles with his good hand until the soreness when away.  Now he remembered another reason why he didn't exactly like horses much.

He shot Atras a momentary nasty look and massaged his side again, coming through the rain to sit on the dry ground beneath the shelter of the alcove.  The rain was coming down slow at first while Adalia brushed off her horse and gave him pets.  He watched while she did so then noticed the immediate shower that burst from the clouds as soon as she vacated the open space.  "Speak of the devil," he muttered to himself, chuckling lightly before that upset his wounds.

Looking at her with confusion he brought his eyebrows together.  "Hm, nobody really wants to get to know me better.  They don't care.  Are you sure that's what you want?  If it is...I...well, I might be willing to give it a shot.  But we'll see."

He found that blood soaked much of the bandages and he would probably forced to clean and dress them again.  He didn't know if he had the strength enough right now to heal himself as the spell already made him dizzy.  But he didn't want to risk getting it infected.  Maybe he could ask Adalia to cauterize the wound with her hands or a heat up a piece of metal in the fire.  Speaking of a fire, that would certainly make things more comfortable.

"My side, ouch, hurts a little.  But I'm still able.  I'll get the flames started."  He gathered the extra leaves and fuel around for the fire around them and spoke to the air, channeling heat to rise from the pile until a flame sparked.  Quickly he breathed in the blew his breath into the fire, making the flame roar and grow higher.  He sat back and laid on his good side, peeling off the bandages and wincing at the sudden shocks.  The wound was not pretty beneath but he glanced a little at it before looking at Adalia.  "Do you have a piece of metal, a dagger or something that you can heat up in the fire?  Maybe I can sear this wound closed before it becomes too infected..."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Well, that was confusing. Of course she was pleased with the outcome though. It would be nice for them to not be bickering constantly. While she liked the good argument, Adalia was tired of it right now and didn't need something stupid like bickering with an almost stranger to ruin her composure. Adalia knew she'd have to let the weight of what she did hit her soon, she wouldn't do it around Hysaeda though.

Maybe she'd go for a walk later.

She barely noticed him reply about his wounds, start the fire. However, once that was started and he laid on his side she blinked and stared at the wound. They'd done all that running and... "Are you stupid!? How long has that been bleeding!" It had been dark when she got him out of the cell, she hadn't realised how bad it was. That it was bleeding.

Adalia didn't know the first thing about open wounds. Only that infections were bad. And that it didn't need an open wound to get infected. She licked her lips and moved closer, kneeling behind him and the side of her legs touching his back while her hand went to his stomach. "I... Don't think that would be a good idea. Maybe there's something I can go find for you? A plant? Or.. I stole some whiskey from my Father, I've seen soldiers pour that on their wounds when supplies weren't available. It hurts a lot, but it helps for the most part." She was disappointed in herself. She'd gotten cloth and bandages, but forgot anything really useful.

There was no bother mentioning that she'd stolen it to barter it off for something possibly useful. Hell, maybe she'd just drink it all and wallow in her total failure as a Serenien after she and Hysaeda parted ways. Get eaten by a bear. Her fingers gently prodded at the wound, tracing the unwounded skin around it. With her hand pressed to his stomach she leaned to look at him, her expression was mostly neutral. "I don't think closing it would be a good idea. You.. You..." She sighed and looked down again. "My dagger is on the saddle, I'll get that if you really want to. Heating it up with my hands would be cleaner and faster."

It entertained her slightly, that before meeting him she'd very rarely used the fire part of her magic. Now she was helping light fires and charring the inside of bodies, heating up blades so the strange Umbraeon man could stab himself in the side. Maybe there was a way to keep the heat and flame off her fingers.

Lion

He sighed and rolled his eyes at her, though he didn't look at her.  "I wasn't being stupid.  I was moving, if you remember.  It's probably been bleeding for a while, but I've kept up my meditation and increased my energy so that I could endure the ride.  But I'm okay...  I can sit up and walk on my own.  But the rest of my body is keen on keeping me bleeding.  You don't have your needle in thread or something?  Ah, whatever,  go bring me the whiskey and the dagger.  I'm sure we'll need both."

Hysaeda tried to reach back and, after some considerable effort, tore off the rest of the bandage.  It was covered in blood, but it seemed to have absorbed the worst of it all.  The wound was not pretty nor did it smell very good, but he shifted a little beneath her touch to stretch the wound a little and let her see the whole thing.  It was a deep slash along his ribs and the muscle underneath, and there was a bloody mess underneath that didn't leak just yet.

When she offered to clean it up with her hands he looked at her with a strange sorrow in his.  "Don't hurt yourself for me.  Get the knife and put it in the fire, it'll heat up.  Talk to the flame.  Say, um... OUCH!  Say shala-sharam tienien mit.  Coax the fire to heat up faster, the dagger will heat up fast enough."

[Dx Shortness! Sorry]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Ew. Adalia made a face and sucked in her breath when she saw the wound. She'd... Pinched his side. After looking at his face she quickly looked back down, giving his back a rub before going and getting the bottle of whiskey and the pulling the dagger from it's small sheath. Adalia kneeled by his head with the whiskey, holding the dagger.

Frowned when he told her not to heat it up with her hand. "I wouldn't be hurting myself for you. I'd be hurting myself to heat up the stupid dagger you want to stab yourself with." She opened the whiskey bottle and gave Hysaeda a good glare before she brought the bottle to her mouth, tipped the bottle back and took a swig of the stuff.

Which was a bad idea.

While it burned and tasted horrible, she gently put the bottle down and stick her tongue out. Her eyes watering. "Why do people drink that!? That burned! I think my tongue is going to fall off!" She blinked again once and shivered, still clearly disgusted. Fine. She wouldn't heat up the dagger. The one swig of whiskey wasn't enough to get her drunk, or buzzed, but it made her stomach warm in a slightly-off putting way and she just didn't feel like argueing.

Taking a rock, she propped the blade of the dagger into the fire on the rock and licked her lips. What was she supposed to say? Would it still do it's job? Giving a shrug she coaxed the fire to grow warmer, murmuring the words he told her too. Frowning slightly when it didn't heat up instantly, she moved back towards Hysaeda and leaned down to look at him. "Now what? If you'd let me use my hands it'd be all heated up by now and..." She winced when she looked at his side, "Do you remember what did that to you?"