Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Serpent In Chains (Draccy)

Started by Lion, February 21, 2010, 10:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

He was still sort of sleepy, trying to come out of it when the rustling continued.  It sounded like a shifting of the trees, but none of them moved that much.  The sound was lower, like it was coming through the bushes.  It stopped when he flicked his ears to listen at them, as if it knew it was being listened to.  "Shh..." he whispered to her as lightly as he could when Adalia rolled over on top of him.  He was much more awake now.

"Don't make another sound," he mouthed to her.  He started to move out from under her to investigate the noise when there was a sudden whirring in the air, a sharpened whistle as an object zipped through the air.  It was dark, a little difficult to see, but he saw it as a dark dot at first just as it came closer to him.  Then suddenly the object landed out of the air and buried itself in the ground with great force, barely missing his head by a few inches.  He looked at it, focusing his eyes on what he soon recognized was a javelin of the sleekest design.

And soon something else appeared from out of the darkness.  This thing was larger and humanoid in form.  It moved fast through the brush, making little noise as possible for the speed it was running.  Hysaeda acted fast and threw Adalia off of him, throwing the blanket over her and reached for the javelin.  The other person that was coming leapt into the air and made a strike at him, over head with a spear.  Hysaeda blocked it and threw them back, though felt a quick movement of the spear throw out his feet from under him.  Landing on his back, the breath knocked out of him, the spear at his throat, he looked up, making out a familiar face in the darkness.  "Wait!" he said.  "Iharu, it's me!  You're cousin!"

The stranger he'd called Iharu stopped from stabbing his neck, and looked at him in surprise.  But that was funny, it smelled like flesh was on fire nearby.  Hysaeda had almost forgotten about Adalia and her vow to burn somebody face off with a flaming fist...

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Her hand was just about to grab his face when Hysaeda said the word cousin. Her fingers stung, the pain in her hand was obvious from her less than pleasant expression. A few places stung on her side where Hysaeda threw her off and Adalia winced and clenched her fist before hovering it over the strangers neck. She didn't care that she was naked as a jay bird and that meant she was vulnerable, didn't matter that she was still cold from the late bath.

"What is this? Do you not get a day where something shitty doesn't happen to you!?" She snarled and glared at the strangers neck. "Even your cousins want to kill you?" Adalia sighed and closed her eyes, ready to pounce should anything else go wrong. "Let me guess, he doesn't speak common, he hates you and wants to kill me because I'm pale, opinionated and naked." Her voice was sarcastic and she was sure to breath calmly even though she wanted to snarl and ill the strange new comer.

Lion

Iharu leaned back away from the hand that wanted to grab his face, a hand that was on fire and told him to stand back or else.  He would have swatted the hand away instinctively, but he did not know who was behind the hand that deemed itself so threatening.

Hysaeda slowly pulled himself up from the floor and began to put some clothes.  When he was dressed, he stood up and put a hand on Adalia's shoulder, squeezing it hard as if to tell her to shut up.

Iharu put his spear down, holding it upright on the ground.  He stared at Adalia with scrutinizing eyes, his eyes brighter than Hysaeda and just as adaptive to the dark.  "High talk for an scrawny outlander," the mohawked Dravikai said and scoffed at her.  He turned his head and cast a glance at his cousin.  "I am sorry, Hysaeda.  I did not know it was you.  I mistook you for a deer I was tracking.  I am not a hunter like you.  I apologize though."

He looked at Adalia.  Naked.  Then back at Hysaeda.  Formerly Naked.  "I did not think you would be sleeping with outlanders now.  Especially none as unnattractive as she.  Who is she anyway?"

Hysaeda just looked at Adalia with raised brows, not really knowing how to explain himse

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Racist! All of them! It wasn't until the hard squeeze on her shoulder did she snap out of her stupor and wave her hand as if to cool it off. Her clothing was still wet, and while she wasn't embarrassed about being naked around Hysaeda - he'd seen her naked enough times for it to not really matter anymore - this new person was a different case. Scrawny.

"I am not scrawny!" She was short! She wasn't broad and big. "Your women may be shaped like men, but most of the other women? Not so much." Her voice held a snarling quality and she opened her arms before going to her wet clothing and pulling it on, getting an arm stuck and cursing before she pulled her pants on and getting them stuck on her thighs.

Another jab at her. Unattractive now. Before she could stop herself she was lying, "We were not sleeping together, we were only together for body warmth. We've never slept together in that way either, before you ask." Her eyebrow twitched and she glared at Hysaeda while she shivered and willed her hands to stop aching and she jumped in again.

"I'm a mage-knight, in short that means I can set your pants on fire or make your face explode and Hysaeda, I'm getting the idea that everyone of your race is insane but you. It's hard to believe that you out of all of them is the one with the people skills." Hard to believe and maybe a little disappointing.

Lion

Hysaeda couldn't believe this.  It was always a surprise to be greeted by his cousin, especially being nearly killed by him, which never happened until now.  Hysaeda was starting to get upset with the both of them as Adalia seemed rather insistent to have a very big mouth.  For someone who was going on and on about people skills, Adalia seemed to have one hell of a time working them out for herself.  What was her problem anyhow?

"Adalia, calm down.  I don't understand why you're so upset.  He's never met you before and here you go acting like a terrible fool."

"No, no, cousin.  It is all right.  Let her babble.  She's got a sharp tongue.  Though her mind seems to be  considerably less so."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"Of course my mind seems less so. I'm used to a bed and bathing in warm water and eating real food and not waving around my disgusting hands without gloves! And! And, he just nearly hit you in the face! With a spear!" She snapped while waving around said hands to emphasize her point, she glared at this Iharu and jabbed a finger at him. "I am not scrawny. I am a good size and while I'm too slight to hurt you if I hit you, I could... Still bring you down! Somehow."

Another glare and she crossed her arms over her chest and glared away. Atras had gotten himself up and stood around, his tail flicking back forth while he watched the three of them 'chat'.  "Not that I want to prove it. I've been hit plenty more times than I care to keep track of." The hit from the umbraeon earlier had left a bruise blooming along her cheek, giving the side of her face a darker tone against her pale skin. The light of her hair darkened the bruise in contrast and Adalia sighed and placed her hand to her face.

"I'm sorry, Hysaeda. I'm..." Another frown, "I'm used to... to..." She motioned to her face and shot another glance towards Iharu, "being hit. By umbraeons."

Lion

Iharu didn't really know what to say this strange outlander.  She was out of her mind certainly and making a quip about probably was not the best idea in the hat.  He didn't think Hysaeda was the kind to hang around these types of people, but he'd only known his cousin for practically his whole life, so this seemed strange of him.  He eyed her suspiciously, distrusting her immediately upon first sight.  He didn't have to know her to know that she was probably up to no good.  Outlanders in Umbraeon land always were.

"It's alright.  This is my cousin, Iharu.  He means well.  And would never attack me without good precedence.  Just calm down, okay?"  Hysaeda pat her shoulder.

Iharu tilted his head and kept eying her, but said nothing.  Anything he had to say wasn't nice anyway.  He was here to see Hysaeda anyway and not some strange albino woman that found herself in an awkward position.

Hysaeda on the other hand didn't know what to do with this surprise visit.  He couldn't very well tell his own flesh and blood to take a hike and go away.  "Iharu, this is Adalia.  She's not here causing trouble.  In fact, something has happened that I need her help with."

"What has happened?"

"There are a troupe of people here.  Some very bad people who have been desecrating graves.  Umbraeon graves!  Taking what is down there and turning them into commodities.  She knows of items that have been taken and can help us.  Do you understand?  I have to get home, back to camp to warn them."

Iharu's eyes went wide; he couldn't really believe what his own family was telling him.  "This cannot be.  She is an outlander.  How can you know anything she is saying is true?"  Iharu threw back his shoulders, trying to make sense of what he'd just learned.

"It is, I'm afraid.  She saw them herself she said.  What reason would she have to lie to me?"

"Because she is an outlander!  They cannot be trusted.  She might be asking you to lead her to these graves yourself, then kill you when you're back is turned."

"Iharu!  It is true!  Believe me!"

Iharu stopped and looked at Hysaeda, staring at him.  "You're not lying...."  His head turned to Adalia.  "You.  Is this true?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Lie?

"What sort of idiot would lie to get dragged through a forest?" Her voice was quiet and she stared off to the side. "Why would I lie?" The other words sank in and she felt truely insulted.

"Kill him? I've saved his life!" She was glaring at Iharu then, her hands balled into fists. Kill him! What a stupid thing to say. "I came all this way to help him! I left my home, I left being a knight because helping your people from being stolen from was the greater good." Adalia stared and then pressed a hand to her face.

"I've given up so much just to pretend to be a slave to..." Adalia sighed and then threw her hands up, "you're right. I give up. I'm a huge liar, I want to take all your Umbraeon artifacts for myself and return home as some sort of lying war hero." Her voice was monotone and her face was deadpan obviously fed up with the Umbraeons hate of 'outlanders'.

Lion

Finally everything was starting to come into view now, the bits and pieces of this very strange puzzle.  It wasn't everyday that all this stuff just came bursting at the seams.  Iharu was never one for politics or leadership.  Which was why he spent the majority of the time on his own.  The makings of a warrior came from a soulful understanding of war and all its tributaries, but this, this sheer audacity at an invasion of land, that was a calling for war.  He felt himself become livid, angry, but with nothing to strike at, all that anger was merely impotent and he only felt this hands grip the handle of the spear.

He couldn't help his words, for the world he was born into called for certain prejudices against people.  He did not trust Adalia, but it was not up to him to tell Hysaeda that.  One had to make up their own mind about strangers after all.  That didn't mean however that what she said wasn't true, she seemed far too high strung about it to make it anything less.  Either that or she was a very good actress.  He put his hand up to her in an act of truce.  "I believe you, though you are strange to me.  My cousin is no fool.  He wouldn't trust you unless you were telling the truth."

Hysaeda stepped toward Adalia and pat her shoulder.  "I understand this is hard for you.  But I wanted to let you know that I thank you for helping me thus far.  And for staying faithful all this time."  He smiled, then looked at Iharu inquisitively.  "Where's the dragon?"

At that moment, there was a larger rustle through the trees and out appeared a draconic head, slender and thin compared to a normal dragon and it slunk through the trees.  It looked at them both, waiting for Iharu's command should there be one.  "This is Garaduin," Iharu said to Adalia.  "He's my friend, and he won't hurt you unless he deems it fit to do so.  If you need help, I will help you."

Hysaeda turned back to Adalia.  "Have you ever wanted to go dragon riding?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Adalia watched, her hands at her hips while she rested on one causing the other to jut out in a cocky pose. She'd need to get all this stubborn mule out of her system while she still could. She'd be roasted on a spit if she let any of it out once Hysaeda was home. A shrug of her shoulders while she watched Iharu have his internal struggle and she stared for a moment, wide eyed and slightly confused.

Once second he didn't like her a bit and now he was... Showing her his hand. "If it makes you feel better you're strange to me, too." She added helpfully, though quietly. Adalia swallowed and gnawed on her lower lip while she looked to Hysaeda and then at her shoulder. Just what was he up to? A nice gesture before she got hog tied and beaten? She was going to say something when Hysaeda asked about a dragon.

Dragon. Did he just say Dragon? Were they close to the Thunderblacks now? Was she even legally allowed inside Adela? Adalia frowned and stared at Hysaeda for a moment, his question flew over her head and she did a double take her mouth open slightly while she blinked and frowned. "Garaduin." Adalia felt the need to introduce his dragon to her horse, but instead she licked her lips and looked over her shoulder.

Atras. Adalia frowned and then looked at Hysaeda, "I'll... take the stuff off of Atras. He'll get eaten if he follows me and ... He's a good boy."  She wandered over before quickly taking off Atras's saddle, dropping it to the side and getting her pack and slinging it over her shoulder. "Well, riding dragons has always been an Adelan thing, so... No I have never wanted to go dragon riding." She laughed shyly and then shook her head, "but if Garaduin is offering it wouldn't hurt."

Lion

The dragon tilted his head as he waited for his rider's command.  He would deign to speak should his rider wish it, but he really was above any desire to do on his own.  He moved toward the stream and ducked his mouth into it and drank voraciously why these puny things did their squabbling.  Garaduin looked up and saw a horse with curiosity.  The first thing that came to mind was food, but the dragon listened to the words of the mortals, figuring the way the creature was harnessed, it was probably somebody's mount.  The girl's most likely; Umbraeons did not ride horses...they ate them.  Garaduin shrugged and continued to drink.

Hysaeda watched her as she took all the stuff she had off of  the horse and that thought gave him a quick idea.  He went to his bag and rummaged through it, finding the last bit of a salve that tasted like apples mixed with melted sugar.  He was surprised ants weren't crawling all over it, but as it were he strode over to Atras and put the mixture into his hand, scraping all of it and tossing the leather it was in.  The horse sniffed it before licking at it and eventually consuming it whole.  As Hysaeda cleaned off his hand in the stream he walked back to Adalia and grabbed his things.  "So he'll be calm for the trip," he said to her before he took them to Garaduin.  Iharu motioned for the dragon to be still while Hysaeda climbed on top of the dragon's back.  Hysaeda called out, "Adalia come on."

When all was ready Iharu climbed onto the front, on a kneeling position on Garaduin's back and commanded him to lift off into the air.  The dragon did so with a great gust, they flew up high very quickly, zipping upward, turning around until finally swooping low as the dragon came low, arms outstretched and snatched Atras from off the ground.  By then the horse was already knocked out.  Couldn't have it very well startled from flight until it died,  now could they?  Adalia was far too attached to that damn horse that she'd be completely broken if anything happened to him, Hysaeda thought.

Hysaeda, unused to flight, gripped tightly to the ridges of Garaduin's back as the wings bat back and forth to carry them further south.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

He drugged her horse! Adalia watched, slightly horrified and she stared at Hysaeda like he'd just stabbed her in the eye.  Provided someone who got stabbed in the eye could glare.  Then he explained and she stared some more. What if Atras got sick? She had intended to leave him here so he could... Prance around like a wild horse, maybe attract some big stallion to fawn over him because Atras certainly wasn't a real man anymore.  

Time to go. Adalia followed Hysaeda wordlessly and she could feel her heart thumping in her chest. Nervous like nothing else. Riding a horse was one thing, you were close to the ground all the time. Not like flying. She had no idea how those silly Adelans did it. The second she was parked she clung to Hysaeda and buried her head against him with her eyes squeezed shut. "Just tell me when it's over. Flying wasn't high on my list of things to do."

Of course, neither was being bitten by a snake or losing her virginity to a man who was drugged up on aphrodisiacs but hey, things happen. Like flying. The moon was bright and the sky was clear and the wind was cold and Adalia had a tighter grip than she could imagine around Hysaeda's torso. Falling would be bad. Very, very bad. The trip was dark, but that was mostly because her eyes were closed.