Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Trees and Stones May Break Bones (Mali)

Started by Lion, September 03, 2010, 11:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

A bluish hued blade of hair stuck out from behind the bush.  It seemed odd, like a bright teal leaf amidst the shades of green of the undergrowth.  It wiggled from here and there as if from movement and through the thickets of small branches could be seen a pair of muddy red eyes.  They were not angry in fashion for their brows were raised, as if curious.  Then they lowered in a thoughtful, furrowed manner.  The eyes were attached to a broad face that appeared to be the result of arcane breeding.  It was difficult to see, but it seemed the face stretched out in an awkward smile.

This was Rohir, his red garments tarnished and torn a little from the dirt he'd been crawling in for the past half an hour.  His leather boots were tarnished and caked with dirt from long travel.  His entire body was low on the ground, and he gazed through the thickets of the bushes along his right side and front of him at the tiny fluffy animal that resided fifty feet from him, mindlessly chewing on a nut.  "Squirrel," he whispered to himself and kept smiling until he found the opportunity to creep closer.  He shuffled closer to the side of the bushline with surprising stealth and the small animal didn't even perk its little fluffy head up at the rustle of leaves.  The warrior stripe that stood on Rohir's head was not humongous, but as he lifted his head near the top, the tip could be seen as he moved closer.

Rohir had tracked that squirrel for three and a half weeks.  Now, he wasn't completely skilled in the arts of animal tracking, but he knew it was the same squirrel by the unusual horizontal stripes along its back.  They were shiny, and brownish, darker in comparison to the tan hide of the tiny creature.  Normally, nobody with a clear sense of sanity would bother chasing a squirrel, especially not for three and a half weeks.  But with that in mind, it was easy to indicate that Rohir was a persistent man.  And perhaps a little crazed.

"You think you're clever little squirrel, but you're not!  You can't hide and run from me forever."  He licked his lips and honed his eyes on a small glinting object that was pinned by a string to the end of the squirrel's tail.  "My, my, so you do have it!  What a coincidence.  Just the rock I was looking for!"  Just then, he stopped his whispering abruptly when he saw the animal's ear flick and it turned its head to and fro to search for the source of the sound.

He held his breath, and didn't budge an inch.  He stared in shock mode at the animal until it suddenly met him square in the eyes.  By now Rohir was in a low crouched position and he kept his leg muscles tight and prepared.  Silence seemed too loud even now and he slowly exhaled as he saw the animal's legs shift gradually.  Then, in an instant, he sprang up and over the bush in a miraculous leap, diving straight for the squirrel and wailing at the top of his lungs.  "HAHHHHH!"  But the animal managed to evade by a mere fraction and was bounding off as fast as it could, the green stone tied to its tail jumping and dragging along the way.

"You're not getting away this time!"  And the chase was on.  He pursued the squirrel faster than he thought he could run and almost on it.  It ducked and dove beneath a labyrinth of trees.  "Come back here!"  While he wasn't as young as he used to be, he managed to maintain his stamina long enough to catch a stupid squirrel.  If only it would allow itself to be caught.

For several more minutes, he pursued the creature in vain, but wouldn't give up just yet.  Suddenly the squirrel made a swift turn, leaving Rohir sliding along some leaves just to make the turn in time.  The squirrel scurried toward a large tree and vanished into a dark hole under a fat root.  But Rohir kept his eyes on the squirrel as it disappeared, then abruptly was thrown backward by a force he didn't see.  His vision went white as he smacked head first into a fat, low branch that hung from the thick, dense trunk.  The next thing he knew his back was on the ground and he could remember nothing else.

Oh the joys of squirrel hunting!

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

The forest was just so peaceful.

The heat of late summer clung to the still air, and only the most flighty of animals were stirring from their homes. Reclining along the length of a low hanging covered branch, Maliha sighed in contentment as she stretched her long legs - arms dangling to brush the bright blossoms and long grass below. Her eyes, color mirroring the brush surrounding her haven, were heavy with sleep and her cheek rested upon a soft patch of moss as she watched a nest full of baby rabbits play, flop around and ... run away?

A small furrow appearing between her eyebrows, the dryad blinked and raised her head to focus on the small nest. She idly wondered what startled the small animals, and her eyes scanned the woods for any disturbance. Noise caught her attention as a loud yell - warrior call? - echoed through the forest. Rushed movement accompanied by the sounds of distressed squeaking and underbrush snapping followed the yell, and Maliha propped herself up more fully. Tucking her knees underneath her body and peering forward, her eyes widened as a chittering squirrel streaked underneath her tree. Did that squirrel have a ... a rock tied to his tail? the dryad wondered in surprise, unable to imagine any logical explanation for what she had seen.

Her quiet ruminations ended abruptly as she spotted a large, unwieldy form clad in red skidding directly towards her. The dryad scrambled back from the tip of the branch, heart racing and body flooded with a strange combination of fear and excitement. She loved visitors, but if this man had been hurting that poor squirrel ... Well, she'd find some way to stop him!

Her seat suddenly vibrating and shaking wildly, Maliha's mind quieted as she tumbled off of the branch. Landing in an ungainly heap, she gasped and lay still save for sporadic twitching. It wasn't every day that the dryad fell out of her tree, and she wasn't exactly fond of the experience. It was the curiosity about the lumbering man she'd seen earlier - so fast! - that prompted her to rise. Moving gingerly, rubbing the dirt from her dress, she crept towards the figure on the forest floor. Stopping about three feet from his form - more than enough of a head start if things turned ugly, she hoped - Maliha knelt and leaned forward to examine the man's face.

"Are you okay? My name is Maliha ... can I help you?"

Lion

Knives could have been driven into his skull and it surely would have hurt less.  His brains were rattled and he was sure he'd broken something.  Maybe it was already broken and that was probably the whole reason why he hit the branch in the first place!  He was normally more attentive than this.  But here he was and in pain and had a deep gash on his forehead almost near his temple.  The blood was darkly shaded and had a strange cold feel to it as if it emitted a breeze.  His whole body did despite the heat and it radiated off of him in soothing sweeps.

But the cooling sensation didn't numb him to any feeling.  And after several minutes of being deeply unconscious, he twitched his fingers against the crunch of a few dry leaves on the ground.  But that was all the movement he could muster before the pounding of his head woke him back up.  He could hear the blood pounding in his ears and he groaned in agony before he shifted the rest of the limbs of his body.  All he could think about was that stupid squirrel.  Why couldn't he have been faster!?  Rats!  But one hope remained in the fact that he'd seen where it went and hopefully wouldn't be leaving anytime soon.

Rohir gained more consciousness and opened his eyes when he heard a voice.  His vision was blurry and it slowly gathered focus upon a pleasing face.  And a smile graced him, his mandibular canines sticking out from under his bottom lip.  "Oh how nice!" he muttered and lifted himself up despite his injured head and aching body.  "I don't feel all that fine but, maybe if I try standing, I'll feel better, no?  Let me see."  Rohir gathered what strength he could in  his gut and hoisted himself up onto his feet.

It almost seemed too soon and he just about stumbled into Maliha.  "Oops!  Sorry, just about lost my balance there."  Rohir grinned again and held himself steady despite his bleeding head.  "I'm sorry I shoulda said my name first thing.  Rohir, it is.  Rohir Dolyn."  He smiled again, this time showing no teeth and trying to fix his teal hair.  He panicked a little and looked around frantically.  Then he said, "You didn't happen to see a squirrel scurry around here by any chance did you?"  He got down on his knees and looked around until he saw the hole and launched himself forward, shoving his arm inside and trying to reach blindly for the small creature he was sure he saw run in there.

"Did you see it run in here?  I swear to the heavens I saw it run in here!"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown