Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Nymph, in thy orisons

Started by Winters-Feather, January 18, 2011, 08:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winters-Feather

Ophelia gave out a whoop of delight as she wheeled in another trout from the river. Skillfully, she placed it in her basket, where two others laid dead, before unhooking it. The creature flopped in place for several moments before it, too, passed on.
Chuckling, the woman let her bare feet play in the cool water. It was almost evening; best be going home and be making dinner. She let out a content sigh, pleased by her catch, before quickly drawing her feet in and scrambling into her  gloves boots.

She had no need for them by now, really. Her feet were tough as leather from a life in the forest, but she had been a noble woman, once, and she held onto some habits. Plus, there was also the issue of - the Goddess forbid- having her skin touched by a mage. Of course, it was a rather ridiculous thought. Why would they want to touch her dirty old feet? The same went for her hands, too. There was no body here for miles around. But there could be, and they might, and that was what mattered.

Firmly adjusting the edges of her bronze headscarf and flattening out her brown cotton skirt, which was starting to ware with age, Ophelia picked up her basked and started to go home. She hummed to herself, an old tune that used to be popular when she was a young maiden, swaying with the wind. The trinkets dangling from her scarf and belt made light, jingling noises as she danced.  

Ah, to be young again! Oh, she was young enough, the woman knew that; early prime was certainly not old. But, she thought wistfully, she was going to die as an old maid, with no hubby to account for.
Funny thing, really, she thought, as her tune took on a more sharp edge, Mother and Father always begging me, 'Please Ophie, DO marry this revolting, ugly gentleman!' And look at me now...Oh she had romanced now and then, but she was twenty and so, and loose twenty and sos were dangerous things.

She chuckled, mischievously at this thought, her dance taking on more wild, loose, and provoking moves, betraying her thoughts. She spun several times.
What was that?
Ophelia stopped, abruptly, crouching near a tree as she looked around.
She could have sworn she had heard something, but nothing was there....

It took a few more moments for the woman to collect enough of her senses to continue her journey.  Her home wasn't too far off, just a fifteen minute stroll; the cottage was starting to become visible through the trees.

"Just me," she muttered aloud,  almost sadly, "A crazy, loony old bat. Ahhh...What has become of you, m'lady?"

Curses, she thought , bitterly.
That's what.

Anonymous

The last thing he remembered was the crashing explosion, and the utter certainty that he had failed, he was dead.

That had been Daine's last impressions of home, a good four days ago.  Since suddenly and unexpectedly arriving in this valley, all he really knew was this was not where he had been.  He leaned forward a bit as Dhala leaped over a moss covered fallen tree, simply putting a hand on the huge cat's shoulders as she landed.  They kept on at a steady pace, and trusting Dhala to pick their path, Daine turned around in the saddle, and checked on a lumpy bag tied to the back of the saddle.  He'd been checking it compulsively since the incident, to make certain it was still there, and it was still...dark.  The Eye had stopped shining four days ago, when he had awoken to find himself and Dhala far from the mountain pass.

Dhala paused midstride, one massive paw still in midair.  The blonde leaned forward, straining his own senses to catch whatever had caught the attention of his feline companion.  Humming.  Sounded like a woman.  Daine frowned, momentarily confused.  The mountain range was uninhabited...wasn't it?  He slumped back in the saddle as the idea occurred to him, and not for the first time, that he could have been blasted halfway across the country, or even the world.  He reached over the saddle and thumped his gloved hand against Dhala's shoulder, ruffling the thick fur.  "Hello?!  Is anyone there?"  

Before he could get an answer, Dhala set off again, following the hum.  Coming across a river, Dhala hesitated, growling low in her throat as she looked for a place to cross.  Daine paid her grumblings little attention, having spotted the source of the hum.  "Hey, you there!  Lady!"  He waved both arms over his head, attempting to get her attention.  Quickly abandoning those antics, he grabbed hold of the front of the saddle as Dhala leaped suddenly, her jump taking them to a large rock in the center of the river.  "Warn me next time, will you."  He grumbled at the cat.

((OOC:  Hope it's alright.  Dunno if I'll be able to keep up this post length though.))

Winters-Feather

Ophelia suddenly gave a violent shiver.
Voices in her head...Very faint, but it was there.
Thoughts.
Someone else was here.
The woman moaned, trying to gain control over herself. She didn't have much control over this power, any more.
Just this one...It's just one...
She took a deep breath, forcing it out of her head. This would do, for now.
But she must be getting home, for though she was hospitable, she rather avoid strangers.

So she started to pick up her stride, still humming. She could hear his first call, for anybody, but she ignored it.
"Must get home," she muttered, picking up her skirts an inch.
She just caught fish. Why'd this have to happen now?
However, she wasn't fast enough. As he called out for her , she abruptly turned around to face her caller, her eyes wide and questioning. They quickly found the travelers; a man who looked like a soldier, a cat, and his horse.
He looked like a decent fellow.
That scared Ophelia.

Suddenly feeling vexed, she hotly took in a deep breath to shout back.
"For your health and sanity, my good sir, its best if you flee this forest at once! Fly!" she commanded.
Not the forest, me. I'm no good for them, or they'll be cursed, too.
With that, she promptly turned around and began to run back home, attempting to avoid the man's line of vision. She wasn't the fastest creature in the world, but she was steady and knew her way; she could make it to the cottage in ten, five minutes time if she ran.  However, in her haste, a tree branch had snagged onto her head band, tearing the loosely tied copper cloth, decorated with beads, from her head.

But the woman didn't notice, instead concentrating on running home.
Fly.

Anonymous

He sat still in the saddle, a puzzled look on his face.  And then she ran.  ...This was really confusing.  As she sprinted off, Daine made a quick decision.  Sliding off the saddle, he landed lightly beside Dhala, and paused only to grab that lumpy bag...and hesitated briefly, before snatching a dull green orb out, and quickly shoving the fist sized object in a belt pouch.  He thumped Dhala's shoulder again, and the great cat leaped forward, following the woman's scent.

It was a tactic he'd spent many, many days training the cat in.  Catch up to their quarry, and turn it back towards him.  He just hoped Dhala wouldn't frighten the woman too much.  Dhala was a well mannered feline, she wouldn't harm the woman as long as the woman didn't try to hurt them.  Picking his way across the river, he glanced up to see Dhala take off, angling her pursuit to come around in front of the fleeing woman.  

Why had she run?  He sighed as Dhala disappeared into the trees.  The woman was the first living being he'd since the incident, aside from a few birds.  She'd run off too quickly for him to question her.  He stopped, a flash of color on the ground catching his attention.  Her headband.  He stooped and picked it up, a troubled look on his young face.  "Miss!"  Daine yelled, hoping the woman would talk to him this time.  "You dropped something!"

Dhala had quickly caught up the woman, after all, the great cat was as fast as the finest stallions in the stables back home.  Leaping out in front of the woman, the huge feline made no attempt to herd the woman back towards Daine, the smells of a human home in her nose.  She flicked her rounded ears back, listening for sounds from the cottage behind her.  Sounded empty.  

He could see them up ahead, and he raised the little scarf and waved it like a peace offering, holding out his other hand, so she could see he held no weapons.  He wondered if it was the huge swords strapped to his back that had frightened her.  Hopefully not, he wasn't keen on the idea of hiding them somewhere, they'd been forged especially for him.  "Miss,"  Daine spoke up again, quieter, hoping the calm tones would calm her down, "I'm not going to hurt you, neither is Dhala."  He held out the scarf to her, offering it.  

((OOC:  Let me know if you need anything changed.  I figured it'd be reasonable for them to round her up pretty quickly.))

Winters-Feather

The woman flinched as the man called out to her.
Go away. Don't try to catch me. Run.
But Ophelia was no match for the enormous cat. She could feel the creature catch up to her, but try as she might, she knew she could not escape. So as the feline blocked her path, she let out a cry of hopelessness. Her legs spread out and planted firmly into the ground, the woman observed the cat with an almost serene expression. She liked animals more than humans, and she could tell that this creature was of the noble kind.

She pressed her lips together, as she stood still, her head held high.
What could she do? She didn't have time to create a good ward, not like this.
She was too flustered.
Ophelia knew she had lost.
Don't let the enemy see your vulnerability, for I can be a soldier, too.
She observed the cat as the man approached,  and gave a small bow to it.
It was a noble creature and nobility of any kind demanded her respect.
The woman tried to ignore the man coming, tried to ignore the questioning thoughts in his mind.

She knew that there was nothing to be scared of. From him, anyway. His thoughts were of concern, curiosity, and kindness. So when he called out for her, this time, she turned around so that her rebellious curls whipped through the air with angry vigor. Ophelia didn't say or move, at first. Her body tense, she observed the man's posture, her eyes darting from his sword to his  face to his sword and towards his hand.
A scarf was in it. Hers.

Confused, she quickly touched her head before snatching her hand back down, clearly embarrassed at her blunder. She approached him slowly and gracefully, her eyes never leaving his with her hand outstretched. When she came near enough, she gently picked up the  scarf.
"Thank you, sir," she finally replied, as if troubled.
She looked down at her basket, and then back at the man.  
He was trustworthy enough, she had deducted, and was  probably weary from traveling.  Even though she didn't quite like humans visiting all the time, every once in a while wasn't so bad. It was a bit of a lonely life.
"You may follow," she said before turning around and walking idly back towards her cottage.

It was almost as if she had entered a dream and disregarded the large cat and the man. She picked up the tune she had been humming previously and picked up her strides, though she did not dance. The woman continued this way until she reached the threshold of her home, when she suddenly turned around to face him. His sword bothered her. She didn't feel very much comfortable being vulnerable in her own home.
"Weapons stay outside or against the door," she warned, sharply,  eying his sword, "Thieves may not enter here."
I have a ward against thieves.
With that, she walked into her cottage.

It was a neat, two story home. On the second floor was her bed room, where as on the first was everything else. Tables, a small kitchen,  a fire place, a fur rug, and shelves full of all sorts of wonderful stuff. Books, trinkets, herbs. Things that could only be found as far as the desert were displayed;  her home was a small treasure trove. It was clear that the woman was well traveled.

She placed the basket onto a table with only candles on it; her dining table. After doing so, the woman tied her hair back into its proper position, before walking outside to collect fire wood. Several chairs were scattered throughout the floor. If the man wanted to make himself comfortable, she made no inquiry, but nor would she stop him from doing so.

Anonymous

He saw the troubled look in her eyes, picked up on the tone in her voice, and wondered again why she had run.  And glancing at the cottage ahead as she permitted him to follow, he wondered why she lived out in the wilderness.  He clicked his tongue at Dhala, and the great cat relaxed, watching calmly as the woman passed her.  Thumping her shoulder in rough affection, Daine staggered to the side a bit as Dhala simply butted her head against his waist, rumbling happily as he continued ruffling the fur.

He could hear her humming again, and a slight smile curved his lips.  It was nice just to hear another voice after days lost and alone in the forest.  He paused, eyes widening a bit as she instructed him to leave his weapons outside.  Then they widened even further at her next statement.  "Milady, I am no thief."  Daine protested, staggering to the side as Dhala butted him again, imperiously demanding that he continue petting her.  He sighed, slightly dismayed with this.  Well.  Dhala would stay outside, he never had been able to coax her into houses, and he knew she'd guard the blades well.  And the Eye.  

"Very well."  He bowed his head, deciding it'd be quite rude to refuse.  After all, he'd already chased the woman through the woods, the least he could do to not further scare her would be leaving his swords outside.  Reaching behind himself, he carefully lifted them free of the carrying straps, scabbards and all, handling the two huge blades as if their weight was nothing.  Laying his blades against the door, he grinned as Dhala padded over, dropped to the ground without a sound, and began cleaning her paws, extending each black talon and carefully licking around it.  With that, he felt a bit better about leaving his weapons outside, out of his reach.  If Dhala was so relaxed as to start cleaning herself, obviously there was nothing around.

He knew she'd only swat him if he ruffled her fur while she cleaned, so he just followed the woman inside.  It was cozy inside, welcoming.  It was nothing like his family's grand castles, large, expensively decorated, and not the least welcoming to guests.  Rather, it reminded him of the living quarters he'd had during training.  And it made Daine feel a bit less out of place.  He noted the chairs right away, but waited patiently for the woman to sit first.  

"Who are you?  You live out here by yourself, don't you?"  He kept his voice gentle, though he was burning with curiousity now.

Winters-Feather

The man seemed to have quite a few things on his mind; a few thoughts were practically pouring out of his head,  but Ophelia ignored them. It was rude to rummage through people's heads. As she finished tying up her hair, she watched as the man scanned her home. She could tell he  was comfortable here, which was good; this was a home of comfort. Her's, mainly, but it was there. As she walked past him towards the threshold of the door, she noticed that he was still standing.
He's waiting for me, she realized, suddenly feeling embarrassed.  Of course he would wait, gentlemen did that.

However, before she could react, he spoke, again. He asked for her name. Ophelia flinched, feeling slightly anxious about this piece of information.
What if he is familiar with my wretched name?
She pressed her lips together as her frightened eyes observed his face. It was a smart thing for him to do, to keep his tone gentle, but she could tell this young one was just bursting with questions and energy. Youth often were.
But what was his name?

You are a Lady; prove it to the Knight that stands before you.

Coming to her manners, Ophelia suddenly gave a  nod and dropped into a graceful curtsy.
"Ophelia Vallyhyde, Sir," she said in a quiet voice, "Please, do sit."
She said this last bit waving her hand idly as she  briskly marched towards the fire wood pile by the side of the house. She ignored the cat, who was cleaning herself.
Can she hunt for herself? she wondered. She had caught five wonderful trouts.
One or two would be enough for her, her turtle, and the man. But would the cat eat the rest, or would it be content with hunting?  

Ophelia chose three at the top of the pile before hurrying back into the house. She walked past the stranger and towards her oven, immediately beginning to tend to it. As she did so, a small, green turtle was slowly walking across the floor, though she did not see it. At least, not at first. It was only when she spun around to open the basket when she saw him.

"There you are,  my darling," she exclaimed, and bent down to lovingly scoop the creature up in her arms, and placed him on the dining room table, across from Daine, where he wouldn't wonder off.  
She pressed her lips together as she opened the basket, still indecisive. So, she shut it once again, and let out a small sigh.
"Your cat won't object to fish, surely?" she asked, as she pulled out two of the fish. Those would be theirs.
"If she doesn't, you may feed her the rest."

She turned back around, and pulled out a knife. As she began to skin the trout, questions popped in her mind, that were making her feel a bit uneasy. Even though she could just prob his mind for answers, she refused to do so.
"You have my name, but  I do not know yours or that of your companion," she said, fast and softly, "You are a knight, yes? And, more importantly..."
She turned around to face him, her eyes full of questioning and concern.
"I sense some magic on you," she declared, and it was true. Or, rather, her wards felt it for her, and she could feel the pulse of it in her body.
"I'll  shelter ye for the night, but please heed to my warnings, if you know what is good for you," she murmured, almost sadly.

Anonymous

He nodded in return, feeling a bit more reassured here.  Sure, he was still in the middle of who knew where, but this little bit of civilization was a relief.  Daine blinked in bemusement as she slipped out before he could introduce himself, and just figured he'd wait til she returned.

Outside, Dhala gave Ophelia an unconcerned glance as she continued her bath.  The great cat was busily licking a forepaw and running it over her ear, giving herself a decent face wash.  Switching to the other paw, she paused, her nose picking up on the smell of fish.  Her thickly furred tail tip twitched as an almost speculative look entered Dhala's large green eyes.  Watching the woman walk back inside, the feline got her feet with a sigh, turned, and walked over to the door.  Peering inside the opening, she quickly spotted the source of the smell.  She "mrow'd" loudly, clearly letting Daine know she was hungry too.

Daine was a bit confused as Ophelia scooped a rock up off the floor and cooed to it, and then he spotted the little waving limbs.  A turtle.  He decided not to comment on it, getting ready to answer Ophelia's question when Dhala "mrow'd" loudly.  He turned, quirked an eyebrow at the cat, then glanced over at Ophelia and chuckled.  "No, no.  She's quite fond of fish.  Little beggar."

He got up and scooped the remaining fish out, paused, and mentally kicked himself for not remembering to introduce himself earlier.  "My apologies Lady Vallyhyde.  My name is Daine, and she is Dhala."  He smiled at her second question, walking over to Dhala.  "Yes.  I am a knight."  Kneeling in front of Dhala, he set the fish out in front of the cat, and didn't quite manage to get up fast enough to evade a face licking.  Wiping his hand over his cheek, grumbling.  "Dhala...not the face."  

Dhala looked faintly amused as she settled down to her meal, and Daine returned to the table and sat.  He glanced up at her as Ophelia turned and looked at him.  And her statement got his attention.  "Ah.  I'm ...I'm no mage Milady."  If she could sense, would she go hunting for it?  Was it better to just tell her, or attempt to keep the thing hidden?  Deciding on the former, he reached into the pouch tied to his belt, and withdrew the dull green orb.  Regarding the thing warily, he spoke.  "I think you sense the Eye."  He tucked it away again, for he didn't trust the damned object not to just roll out of his grasp suddenly.  

"I was sent to find it.  To bring it back to the Council so it could be destroyed..."  Falling silent, he mused quietly.  Had he failed somehow?  Here he was, in the middle of nowhere, no idea where he was, or how to get back to the capital.  He could wander forever, until he and Dhala died of old age, thus leaving the Eye for whoever found their remains.

"Warnings?  Milady, the Eye possesses no hold on me, I have no desire to use it..."  As if he knew how, or what it was really capable of.  Gazing up at her, Daine got the feeling Ophelia didn't mean the Eye when she warned him.

Winters-Feather

OOC: sorry it took a while for me to get to this..lol so so sleepy ><

IC:

Opehlia inhaled sharply and took a step back as the man suddenly approached her. She stood fearfully,  her eyes watching as he took the fish. However, it wasn't registering in her mind what he was doing. All she knew was that he was too close. Too close; he could catch her madness, could he not?  And, though she didn't dare to admit it, it had been a while since she had stood this close to a man, a knightly one at that. The woman was uncomfortable, not quite knowing what to do. Thus, she stood there, like a rigid doll, staring into the void, not noticing as he walked past towards the door.

Her breathing only became steady and even when he started feeding the noble creature and began speaking. She blinked and shuddered, coming back into focus. Ophelia didn't respond to his recitation of both of their names, nor of him calling her Lady. Instead, she just stared, still as startled as ever. Her hands twitched, playing nervously with the edges of her skirts. She only started to freely response once he mentioned that he wasn't a mage. That relaxed her, a little. She didn't think the curse be felled on nonmages.
Ophelia nodded vigorously several times before getting back to work  to preparing the fish for cooking.

The woman listened quietly to  Sir Daine- for that, she concluded, is what she must call him- and his tale. She didn't offer any sign that she had heard him, though she was in fact pondering on his very words. As she continued to work with the fish, adding spices and some vegetables, Ophelia began to think of journeys. She was too frightened to go out there. Too many voices, too many people who could use magic or could even recognize  her.  No, it was too dangerous, and not to mention noisy. But the lady knew the way to the Capitol, and she was rather curious about this ...Eye of his.
It relieved Ophelia that he had no desire to use it. She didn't know exactly why, but it did.

A wild thought ran through her mind.
He could help me be forever rid of this curse.

She frowned at the implication. It wasn't impossible, she knew that, but incredibly difficult, and he was a stranger, besides. Plus, she couldn't handle people...

Finally , when she was done preparing the food and popped it in the oven, she turned around to face the Knight. She gave him a questioning glare before striding towards the book shelf. She pulled out an Atlas that she had for quite some time now. Some of the pages were yellowing.
"I can help," she offered, her right pointer finger tracing the cover, as if she had just rediscovered the text. She slowly walked towards the table, her skirts gently flowing as she strode towards the man and placed the book in front of him.

"It illustrates the best routes
," she explained, "The forests  don't change much, but the cities might."

She shook her head with a small laugh. She almost looked normal and completely healthy.
"Actually," she mused, "It would probably be best if  I..."
She stopped. She was about to say "if I accompanied  you".  Hadn't she, just moments ago, just reasoned why a journey would not be a good idea for her? What was she thinking?

You were thinking about getting rid of this dreadful curse.

So, instead of finishing her sentence, she just shook her head.
"Was a fancy, and nothing more," she muttered before rising to tend to the oven's fire, again. She started to mutter to herself, flustered.
She couldn't, she can't ,she wouldn't....Not again, never again.
Without realizing it, the fragile woman began to furiously mutter a poem from an old epic, something an old lover used to recite to her. It had been from her favorite story. It seemed to build up tension as she went along, until she was finally finished, and wiped her hands in her skirts. Again, if he had said anything during this time, she didn't hear it; she was too distracted by her own conflicting mind.

Again, she abruptly turned around, and plopped herself in a chair, opposite to the Knight.  
"It'll be done after a while," she said in a soft voice, looking up at him. She couldn't hold eye contact for a very long time, however, and looked down at her gloved hands, which were twitching nervously in her lap.
Suddenly, she felt very tired.
" It's good that you don't use it,"  she said in her soft voice, going back to the subject of the Eye, "Magical objects are often dangerous, and ought not to be messed around with, especially ones such as this."
She frowned.
"But you say 'possess no hold', as if it were possible," she repeated, suddenly concerned,  "Does that mean that it can?"

Anonymous

When she set the atlas down in front of him, Daine flipped it open, and immediately scanned the maps.  He was about to speak up when she spoke again.  Was she offering to come with him?  He'd be very grateful for the company, truly.  He watched, feeling rather confused as she turned away and started reciting a poem.  There was something odd about her.  Daine listened quietly as she spoke, not daring to interrupt.

He simply waited quietly as she sat down, and when she mentioned the Eye, he shook his head as if clearing his thoughts.  "Yes.  I've heard many tales of this ...thing... attracting men obsessed with power."  Tales he wouldn't dare frighten a lady with.  He glanced down at the atlas, remembering what he'd been about to say.  He flicked through a few more pages, and looked back up at Ophelia, a perplexed look on his face.  "I'm afraid I don't recognize a single map in here."  He tapped the page he'd stopped on.  "In fact, I've never heard of any of these countries."  Just how far from home had he been sent?

Closing the atlas, he leaned back in the chair.  "If you were offering to accompany me, Milady, Dhala and I would greatly appreciate the companionship.  You're the first person we've seen in four days."  And he was not at all ready to venture out to solitude again.

Winters-Feather

Ophelia tapped her foot, nervously, as she listened to the man's explanation.
She nodded, not bothering to ask any questions.
There wasn't anything to be asked; such things were dangerous and often would attract greedy men. It was quite silly, really, how they all fell for such trickery. She shuddered, suddenly feeling guilty.
I am being a hypocrite.
For wasn't she not paying her dues to her curiosity for that event, so many years ago?
Like those men, she had been betrayed by herself.

When the man gave her that look of confusion and explained that he didn't recognize these maps, she blinked, blankly. His thoughts started to seep into her mind; she tried to block them, but some couldn't help but rush in. Like the question of being sent.
"Mmm," she moaned, nursing her forehead in her hands.
She didn't quite know how to answer him. Was she just getting so old that everything was changing so quickly? Where was he from, anyway, if he didn't even recognize some of these countries? He was traveling wasn't he?
Probably avoiding major cities because of that thing, she realized. But still...He didn't even know the kingdom he was in?
This bewildered the woman, only making her all the more nervous when he shut the atlas, causing her to practically jump out of her seat.
She didn't reply to his comment, but instead rose and went back to making dinner.
"It will be done in about fifteen minutes, sir. Do what you will in the meanwhile," she replied, almost coldly.

Really, she was scared of his offer. Had she really offered her companionship?
The curse...
Oh, she longed to be rid of it, but was she that bold? A small smile crept upon her lips. Just like when she was rather young. And she still had some of that original spunk in her, did she not? She could do it, yes, she knew most of the routes.
And yet she was scared. Not for Daine's safety in regards to her, no, more like of the world itself. It had been so long since she had last journeyed...
She sighed, took in a deep breath, and went back to her work, more vigorously than ever.
You are going to go, Ophelia Vallyhyde, and that is that!

Anonymous

The sudden change in her tone got a wide eyed look from Daine, as he mentally went over what had been said.  Had he offended her somehow?  Said or done something wrong?  But what could it have been?  Resisting the urge to stand and approach her, he sat up a bit straighter, sliding the atlas away from him a bit.  "Lady Vallyhyde?  If I've said or done something wrong, please, accept my apologies.  I don't wish to offend, so please, what have I done?"  

He watched her work, feeling rather concerned.  She was an odd one, and rather than making him wish to be away from her, it made him wonder why she was so strange.  

((blargh, shortness))

Winters-Feather

Ophelia realized she was making the younger man uncomfortable, though it didn't fully register for a while. Not until, in fact, did he question the reason for her agitation.
The woman stopped what she was doing and gave a sheepish grin, though he could not see it as her back was turned.
Of course he doesn't understand, she thought, sadly,  practically kicking herself for her foolishness. The woman was making a scene...."Not very lady-like" as her mother would have put it.
But she isn't here right now.

The woman turned around and gave a quick curtsy to her guest.
"I'm sorry for my rudeness," she said in a quiet voice, her head downcast, "You have not offended me. You see, I'm...I'm..."
The lady's voice drifted off.
It was too embarrassing to admit, and she hardly knew the youth!
But he has to know.
The woman's eyes boldly found Daine's. She glared at him for a few moments, as if she were examining his soul.
"Dinner," she said after a few moments, suddenly breaking into a grin.

Within the next few minutes, Opelia had plopped a cooked and seasoned fish onto her guest's plate as well as hers, leaving the rest on a bigger one in the middle of the table. The atlas she had put back into its proper place, and her turtle was placed on the ground, where it would be safe. Water was also set out, for she had no wine to accompany their meal.
"I'm sorry this is all I have to offer," she said with a giggle as she scratched the back of her head, "But please eat as much as you'd like."
She paused before she began her food.
"And after," she said, slowly, "There is something I must discuss. It's important."

Anonymous

Having finished her fish, the large cat yawned and padded back over to her original spot, turning to glance over her shoulder at Daine.  Dhala gave him a look that seemed to say she was not going anywhere, before flopping back to the ground and stretching out, looking completely contented.

Daine hadn't really noticed Dhala's little performance, his attention glued to Ophelia.  He watched her quietly as she stared him down, patiently waiting for her next move.  She really was strange.  No explanation given for her earlier reactions, she merely changed the subject.  And Daine decided that perhaps it was best not to question her further.  He'd just have to be careful in what he said and did around her, and hope to not upset her again.

As she set the food out and apologized, he just grinned up at her.  "It smells wonderful."  He nodded to her statement, and began eating.

((OOC:  Apologies for the wait, i've been busy with a hundred things lately.))

Winters-Feather

OOC: Same here so no worries :3

IC:

Ophelia  was grateful for her guest's calmness, his gentleness. It was easier on her nerves this way. She felt awkward as she supped with him that night. It really had been too long since she had last ate with another human being, and it was a rather awkward experience. Throughout the meal she said nothing, not knowing what exactly to say. Instead, the woman focused  rather intensely on her food, though her eyes drifted towards the stranger once in a while, though quickly back to her plate. When she finished, she boldly gave him one last glare.
"Mm.." she muttered, abruptly getting to her feet. The woman picked up her eating things and placed them in the sink. Ophelia then turned around and bobbed Daine a quick curtsy.

"When you are finished, Sir Daine, please join me outside," she asked as she lit a candle and placed it on a small candle stick.  Quickly and quietly , she walked  past him and out the door.
As a gentle breeze played with her curls and the trinkets that adorned it, she let out a tranquil sigh. The woman gave the large cat a grin, though inside she felt grim.
Ophelia was just going to have to show Daine what he would be putting up with if he were to allow her to travel with him. It was only right that she did so.

The woman plopped down beside the house, and carefully placed the candle next to her. She then removed her gloves, leaving those on her lap. Ophelia grabbed the nearest flower she could, a violet, and pressed it gently between her hands. It would take a little time, but little things such as blades of grass and small flowers decayed faster and much more obviously under her touch. To pass the time until Daine joined her, the woman picked up on song again, humming a lullaby.

Anonymous

Taking a hint from Ophelia's silence, Daine had kept quiet during the meal, appreciating the simple fare.  When she rose and placed her dishes in the sink, Daine hurried to finish and follow her.

Outside, Dhala blinked sleepily as Ophelia emerged from the house.  She yawned and stretched lazily, and rolled over, clearly unconcerned.  

Daine emerged moments later, and after glancing over at Dhala, and his broadswords, he walked over to where Ophelia was sitting.  He crouched in front of her, leaving plenty of space between them so she wouldn't feel crowded.  She was cupping something between her hands, and humming a song again.  "Yes, Milady?"

((OOC: short as crap, sorry.  I just wanted to get the thread moving again, and couldn't seem to get the post any longer or better.))

Winters-Feather

OOC: I understand. I think after this little bit- maybe one or two more- we can get on moving? :P

IC:

Ophelia ignored Daine's presence, as if caught in a trance, on a thread in her music. She stopped only when he addressed her, and her eyes widened in shock, as if woken from a dream.
"Yes..."she said, slowly, opening her hands so that the both of them could see.
The flower was dead. Its colors  were darkened. The edges of each petal were twisted in as if in agony and the entire thing was dry, on the verge of crumbling to dust.
"No more formalities," she muttered, "This be the curse of Fell."

The woman paused to crumble the plant and allowed the dust to be carried away by the breeze. She rubbed her hands against her skirt before pulling her gloves on, again.
"Heh," Ophelia hollowly laughed.  Her voice grew stronger, now. She was ashamed, but its been years since she had company, years since she had a sympathetic ear to listen to her troubles.
"I can't...I can't control my magic very well anymore," she confessed, slowly casting away her burden, "I can't. It....The voices, people's minds."
She looked up, now, to look at Daine. What was the knight thinking now about this crazy  old, wasted woman?

"I can hear yours," she whispered, wearing a thin smile on her lips, "Though I can block it. I can still do that, some. Easy enough. Too many voices, though...Cities...Cities are agony. I can...try to block it all out, but it's harder. Much harder."

She paused, shaking her head full of curls.
"I asked you, Sir Daine, if you were a mage because if I touch one with my bare skin, this curse passes on to them," she continued, slowly, waving her gloved fingers a bit.

The woman bit her lip and turned her head away.
"There is a way to cure it," she said, softly, "But I don't know how..."
The woman hesitated before continuing, her eyes, now covered in a film of tears, boldly looked directly into the knights.  They were searching for an answer, a reaction.  An old spark of fire ignited in her eyes.

"Now that you know my ailment, sir," she said, just as softly, "What say you? Are you still prepared to have me as a traveling companion and guide?"
Ophelia frowned, ducking her head, again.
"You...you needn't answer now," she said, slowly, "It is much to think about..."