Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Salvation For Sale

Started by Tally, February 16, 2011, 12:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

Word may have preceded Angelo to the village up ahead, though he dearly hoped that was not the case.  He was getting entirely too well known in this part of Connlaoth, which was partly why he'd taken the road south, into regions he'd never had occasion to visit.  One had to avoid attracting too much attention, lest one draw the mordecai in to investigate certain claims of divinity.

His appearance and name had grown some rumor around it, rumor he was hoping to avoid as he rode into the village upon his chestnut mare.  He traveled light—a religious devotee must maintain a certain level of humility to maintain credence. The peasantry might still believe he was a messenger of the god if he rolled down the street at the head of a parade, but people saw excess and became naturally covetous. Above all else he required their trust and their good will.

He was rather tall for a Connlaothan, and his hair was dark, falling down just past his shoulders, but he received only a few curious glances as he passed the first few houses.  That was good.  He couldn't abide the desperate crowds mobbing him for healing.  If fortune was with him, no one in this village would recognize him from the stories.

Anonymous

It was a nice day for a walk, though still a little warm for the hooded cloak she wore. She had been sent into town to help take care of Old Reier, who had broken his leg and couldn't get around well. So Tanith got to come bring him a meal during the day and give him a bath. Something the old man took much too much delight in. The girl shivered, feeling somewhat dirty after the ordeal.

But that was finally over and she was heading back to the church when the rider came into town. Not many people came though this place, let alone rather good looking men. She knew she should be getting back to the church, but this was rather exciting. And the Father wasn't here to properly welcome someone to the village, he was over in Westmarch, helping the Father there.

Which meant that really, as his assistant, it was her duty to see what was going on the the man. Plus, there wasn't an inn or anything here, visitors mostly slept at the church. So if he was staying, she would need to be the one showing him where to stay and all that.

Tanith tugged her hood a little lower down her face and followed after the beautiful horse. Though, for all she knew, the man might keep riding. It would be a little exciting though, to at least say she saw the man.

Tally

This was one of the smaller settlements that Angelo had graced with his presence, and it put him quite at ease as he road down the dirt road.  It was peaceful here, calming.  He may not even ply his trade at all and just enjoy a few quiet days before he moved on.

As he passed a tiny, bone-dry fountain in the village circle, he got that rippling feeling upon his back that told him someone was watching him.  Out on the roads that feeling might give him cause for alarm—he made a tempting target for brigands, traveling always alone, being so obviously unarmed. In this little village it only made him smile.  Probably just some curious peasant wondering at the stranger.

He cast a look over his shoulder and froze.  The...thing following behind him had reptilian feet, with claws like a dragon's.  He'd had some pleasantries prepared but they died on his tongue as he searched the face under the hood, looking for anything human there or not.

Anonymous

It wasn't hard to miss the moment the man saw her. He froze and got that look. The stunned and horrified one people got, though they tried not to show it. Tanith's steps slowed and she kept her head down.

Should have know better. The people around here only just tolerated her, she had gotten lazy with so few visitors, forgetting their stupid predigest attitudes. Stiffening her spine, she moved closer to the horse, giving a small bow, "Are you staying here sir? I can take you to the church if you need a place to stay."

Tally

Angelo fumbled at his smile and got it back on his face.  It couldn't have been very convincing, but great god! What was this creature?  That they let her walk around the village was astounding and a bit offensive.

They must see her as one of their own, so he had better pull himself together and be cordial.  Wouldn't do at all to start alienating people as soon as he got here.  Even people like her.

"Ah, thank you.  That would be most kind.  I will be staying a few days."

Anonymous

Tanith's hands curled into fists and she had to fight back the urge to make an angry sound. She knew she was a freak, but he had no right to look at her like that.

But Tanith swallowed her anger, keeping her expression pleasant as she turned to head towards the church, "Follow me please. What brings you to our little village? We don't get many travelers."

Tally

Angelo dismounted and followed along on foot, leading the horse by the reins.  He had, upon seeing her, entertained the motion of continuing on to the next village, but low-rolling clouds had begun to stalk overhead and a distant thunder rumbled off in the west.

His usual rote responses were somewhat distracted by his looking about for others of her kind.  He searched in windows and shadows of doorways for glimpses of inhumanity.

"I...follow where the will of Ansgar leads me..."  Was that another one he saw, disappearing around the back of a house?  What if this whole village was infested with them?  "...so that I may...deliver his blessings to the faithful."

Anonymous

"Oh? Really?" That had Tanith's interest, turning to back to look an Angelo. Traveling priests were rare, but very exciting when they visited. It was always good to hear the word of Ansgar from a fresh voice.

Just had to make sure he didn't mistake her for some practicing witch or anything like that. "Are you going to give a mass then? The Father will be excited to meet you! I help him out at the Church, so if you need anything, please ask."

The arrival of the man had drawn a number of villagers, all peering at him and whispering excitedly as they debated who the stranger was. The Church wasn't far off and Tanith paused at the doors, "We don't have a stables, so your horse will have to stay with the Mayor if that's alright."

Tally

This was familiar territory for him, even if the company was not.  He knew what to say, had said it a hundred times over.  It let him regain some of his composure.

"I look forward to attending mass with all of you," he said, smiling at her. He was even able to forget the foreboding village around him for the moment.  "But I've not taken the vows. I'm only a traveling disciple."

Wherever he caught the eye of a curious village, he nodded and smiled in his gentle way.  He may yet ply his trade in this village.  Or he may not.  He had to take their measure first.  Most folk would follow where he led, see what he showed them, but only caution had kept him alive when suspicions arose.

"That will do fine."  For now, he tied his horse to the post outside the church.

Anonymous

The villagers all smiled and waved back, a number of them vanishing to go bring the gossip to the people not here. Tanith smiled again, wanting to know more about his travels, but she bit back her questions. Hopefully she could ask later.

And he seemed nice enough now that he was over the initial surprise her appearance caused, though she hadn't forgotten his look of shock and revulsion. She wished more than anything she wasn't so freakish looking, "Are you on a pilgrimage then?"

Leading him into the church, it was dark and had a simple elegance to it. Not beautiful, but well used. She glanced around, but the Father didn't seem to be inside, "He's probably outside with his herbs. If you don't mind waiting, it will just be a moment to fetch him."

Tally

"Aye, Ansgar has set me a path and I mean to follow it as best I can."  He found the church agreeable, pleasant, as fine a little village church as he'd ever set foot in.  It had seen its use over the years.

"Thank you, my dear, I will wait."

Anonymous

Tanith nodded, gave a small, bobbing bow and headed off to find the father. A few moments later, she returned, trailing behind a tall, broad shouldered man with a holy symbol around his neck. He was older, his pale hair going grey around the temples and lines on his face, but he smiled brightly, hands grasping Angelo's, "Welcome! My Tanith here tells me you are traveling about, bringing the word of Ansgar! I'm Father Phillip. How can I assist you good sir?"

Tally

"Father."  He had a warm smile for the priest, and mirrored the man's bright mood back at him.  "Yes, I'm Angelo.  I'm glad of this village, else I'd be sleeping under the trees tonight.  I only need a roof for the night.  Ah, I also have a small contribution for the church coffers."

He said the last as an afterthought, the same way he always said it.  It bought him a meal and shelter most places, and this was no different.  They exchanged more—mostly meaningless—pleasantries.  Later he'd be pressed for news of the places he'd been, but that would happen after they ate.

"And Tanith here can help you with the horse and see you get settled," the priest added.  He scurried off.  There were holy candles to be lit and evening prayers to say.  The man seemed like he could talk til the end of the world.  Angelo didn't look forward to sharing a meal with him.

And this other one, Tanith.  He was already planning his apology to her.  She was in good with the Father, which meant he needed to be in good with her.  He began with a smile, and held the door open for her.

Anonymous

That startled Tanith and she shook her head, "Oh no, you first, please." She moved to the side, her hand holding open the door. She kept her expression sugar sweet, not wanting her annoyance at having to spend more time with the man show.

He didn't seem too bad, but she had enough of his looks and strangers always made her jumpy.

Tally

Angelo nodded, and ducked back into the wind.  A drizzle was starting to come down, and he drew his hood up and went right to the horse.  

"Thank you for the help.  Where to?"  He couldn't tell if she were warming to him or just putting on a front.

Anonymous

"Do you need you any assistance with your things? I'm much stronger than I look." Tanith kept her pleasant smile plastered to her face, "Did you want to come with to the mayors? Your horse is very lovely."

Stay nice. Stay helpful. Be kind and easy to please and things went much, much easier.

Tally

"I have very little to carry.  I bring with me only what I require to survive and rely on Ansgar for all else."  Did he detect the glint of the insincere in her smile?  The rain and dimming light made it difficult to tell, even for someone who'd made an occupation of mimicking friendliness.

"I would love to."  He wasn't near ready to give up on winning this one over.  He shook the water from his mare's fetlock, and smiled over at Tanith from the other side of the horse's neck.  "I've grown fond of the beast, I admit.  Not much to look at, but she'd been with me for years and she's clever as a crow."

All true.  The chestnut mare was as common a horse as any farmer might have—suitable for a humble prophet, as well—but he wouldn't trade her for any glittering stallion.  She was hardy and fearless, and they understood each other well.

Anonymous

Tanith nodded, stroking the animals neck, "She's pretty. I like her color." She wasn't about to relax her guard yet, not forgetting his reaction to her appearance. And he was a religious man. She loved the Father, but she was well aware that those that loved God best, hated her the most.

Leading the mare along, Tanith kept her head down, hood pulled forward to hide her horns and face.