Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Connlaothian (non)Magical Mystery Tour! (Rhi, Kiri)

Started by Anonymous, March 20, 2011, 08:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Patrolling the countryside wasn't exactly the most exciting of duties. Sure, on occasion you found a rogue mage or newly-discovered magic user, but most of the time you passed through a town, had a look around for a day or two, and then moved on to the next. Often there wasn't very much to actually do in the towns and villages they would visit, and even less to do on the roads between. Hopefully, the Mordecai sent on these patrols would be able to get along with each other, or it would be a long trip, indeed.

Fortunately, Valeria was an easy sort of person to get along with. What's more, she was in her element out here away from the cities; despite all the heavy armor and weaponry she carried and the Mordecai emblem displayed on her chest, she was still a country girl at heart. When you grew up in places with little to do, you had ways of finding things to do - although most weren't things one would call 'dignified'. But what was even better for her was that the next stop on their patrol was the small town where she was raised. She was excited; she didn't get to go home very often.

"There it is," the darker-skinned Knight spoke up in her unmistakable rural accent when the town came within view. "Just a couple miles off now. We oughta make it pretty quick if we hurry." Maybe she was being a little pushy, but with good reason. Valeria looked toward her partner on this patrolling mission, giving her a grin. "Good people here. You'll like it."

Anonymous

Michael had been stuck back home too often. She refused to get soft and sit at home, managing her troops from her desk. The adventure didn't promise to be all that exciting, but it was better than nothing. Besides, it let her get to know the other Mordecai.

"Your hometown, am I correct?" Michael had left her home far behind and never looked back. But it must be nice for the girl, Ardelan, to see her home again.

Anonymous

"Oh, fiddlesticks," Lucy Neste cursed under her breath. Crooking her fingers around the delicate hem of her dress, she pulled up the fabric so that it wouldn't skim across the ground, skirting away from puddles and patches of mud as she did so. Oh, the wilds of Sirantil Valley was absolutely no place for a woman of her breeding, she knew, but she had promised herself that she would get to Uthlyn before the month went out. She had am excellent time in the vast cities of Serendipity – whose people knew just how to treat a lost princess down on her luck, she reckoned – but knew, eventually, she would have to leave. Uthlyn, the city of scholars, had to have some of the answers she sought, and if it didn't, she'd offer up her crown to the heavens and strip herself of her royal title.

However, travelling without a bodyguard or guardian of some sort was much more difficult than she had expected. If not for bountiful berry bushes and fruitful trees surrounding this dreadful valley, perhaps Lucy Neste would've been dead by now. Already, she certainly felt dead inside – she'd been travelling for weeks and had been hungry ever since. As usual, she carried not a dime on her, but her dress and carriage certainly would made it obvious to anyone of her ranking! Granted, Lucy Neste did not think that the money she "earned" from begging might've been better spent on food and supplies, but pooled it all into the dress she was wearing. Such a thought never even crossed her mind.

Better to be beautifully dead than atrociously alive, Lucy thought.

She was probably going to die. If she did, who would know she was even out here? How in the hell would she get back to her fallen kingdom? Hell, how would she even find her kingdom again? Such questions burned on the beggar's mind, who wished she had a ribbon to tie her bubblegum pink hair up and out of her face. And a fresh spring to bathe in would be nice as well – and a four course dinner, with roasted quail and red wine...

As such luxuries danced in her mind, Lucy looked up, and in the distance, saw what she believed to be her savior – other people, not too far off! She clutched at the edges of her dress once again, and squinted her eyes, trying to determine if they were friend or foe. Not that Lucy would know what her foes looked like anyone – but it was good to be cautious! They were women, from the look of it, and were they... knights? Soldiers? Either way, they looked formidable and tough – perhaps they were to be her saviors, to save her from this hell!

"Heroes!" she cried aloud, tiptoeing through the grass over toward the three figures, as if she was scared that some snake or mouse would rise up out of the ground to frighten her. The girl attempted to compose herself, despite how the grass tickling her ankles made a chill run up her spine. She caught her breath, beaming towards them all. "Tell me, heroes, where might your destination be? I've been lost out in this valley for weeks – and I'm sure you lot must've been sent from the heavens, to save me from certain death!" The pink-haired girl said these words with such passion, but one might wonder if she was joking or not. "You must let me accompany you – I'll be forever grateful!"

And then would let her tag along, wouldn't they? After all – they ... they couldn't just leave her out there!

Rhindeer

"Ohhh, this must be so exciting for ya! I betcha missed it," Siobhan said, falling into stride beside Michael and Valeria and peering at the town ahead. "Reminds me of my home, kinda. In that it's way out there, y'know? Way out of the way from the big cities; never even saw a real city 'til I joined the Knights. Anyway, it looks real peaceful. Quaint."

Not that she could really tell; it was still an indistinct blur in the distance. But Siobhan was a talker, firing off questions and observations that she didn't really expect answers to. It was mostly to fill in any silences, and also because she liked the sound of her own voice.

"Oh! Are we gonna meet your parents? Gosh, that reminds me, I really oughta write mine. Not that they can read it and not that I can write it," she added with a laugh. Of course, she just had someone write it for her and, considering she got letters back, her parents did the same. "I keep meaning to, but--hey, look, it's a girl!" she said, pointing before using that same hand to wave at her. "Hi, there!"

Not that it really needed to be pointed out, what with the girl having pink hair (the likes of which Siobhan had never seen) and heading straight toward them, calling out to them and naming them as heroes. Heroes, huh? Siobhan grinned, liking the sound of that, though her grin faltered at the girl's tale. Lost? Certain death? Yikes. Well, that wasn't really her call to say yes or no, so she held her tongue and looked to Michael.

"We probably ought to take her to town."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

"Yes, ma'am," Valeria answered Michael's question first. "Don't really get the chance to drop by too often, either."  She paused there, giving Siobhan a glance as she unleashed her verbal onslaught. That girl sure did like to talk, didn't she? Not that she particularly minded; at least it was a way to fill the silence on these long trips and make them less boring. Rather than try to answer each of the woman's questions individually, she decided it would be best to simply nod along.

A renewed smile came to her face at the question of meeting her parents. "Well, I'm sure they'd love to have ya if we wanted to stop by, but that ain't up to me." Valeria's eyes went to Michael as this sentence ended. Hopefully she wouldn't mind, but of course, they were still on duty and obviously the Grand Master would be the one giving the orders.

Then came Siobhan's exclamation, drawing Valeria's eyes forward. Sure enough, there was a girl coming from off-road and dressed far too nicely for the country. "She sure ain't from around here," she commented quietly. The girl was certainly odd, and it wasn't just the fancy dress or pink hair. One thing was clear though: this girl was out of her element here. Siobhan suggested taking her to town, and Valeria nodded in agreement. "Yeah. Looks like she could at least use some food in her."

Anonymous

"What in the-!" Michael stared at the pink haired girl. She was obviously not from around here, not in that dress. No native on Connlaoth wore dresses, the windy season made them far to impractical and the hair was definitely exotic, though not totally unheard of in the area.

"Halt. Just who are you and what are you doing here?" Chances were high she was a mage and Michael believed in caution in matters of magic. There went her chance to get to meet one of her troops families. It was always a fun experience and, well, she got off on how impressed the smaller villagers were by Mordecai, let along the leader of them. And now some pink haired tart was making that difficult.

There was no mage mark on the girl, but she might be rogue.

Anonymous

Oh, how could Lucy not be delighted by this turn of events?

The first two heroes were so polite, suggesting taking her to town. At the next one's suggestion – that she could definitely use some food in her – the beggar princess' amethyst eyes lit up wide, for she had not eaten in weeks! In fact, was it weeks? It felt more like years to her. She clapped her hands together, bouncing on the tip of her toes. "A town, and food – that all sounds splendid! You three really are brave heroes!" was her praise to those who welcomed here – but alas, the third hero was not so welcoming!

Her voice was so commanding, Lucy did not like it, not one bit! She had never been spoken down to in such a way – as if this woman was superior to her! She would've liked to be brave and stand up towards this woman, but instead, hid behind one of the nicer heroes (Siobhan), if only because she was closest at the time, and because Lucy felt so much more braver when she had a shield of sorts to protect herself. She was naught but a harmless, defenseless princess after all! Since when did she have to explain herself to anyone? The nerve!

Still hiding behind the hero, the pink-haired girl decided she had better answer the woman's question. "I am Lucy..." she began, and then paused, as if she had forgotten her own name. "...Lucy Neste." She had wanted to add where she was from, but as usual, could not recall her kingdom's name. Drat! Every time she thought she could remember it, the name never came up when she needed it. Anyway, now that she thought of it, perhaps it would not be best to tell this woman that she was a princess – she could be an assassin sent to kill her, after all! She gasped at the thought, and swallowed down the words she hadn't even found.

"I am simply travelling – but, well, I'm not very good at it." She had maps at the start of the journey, but they had managed to get themselves lost somehow. And she had people who were supposed to be guiding her through this atrocious forest, but somehow, they all seemed to be preoccupied at the last minute.

"I'm heading for Uthlyn, city of scholars! I need to get back to my people, you see, and they say that Uthlyn is home to the smartest people in the world, so someone's got to be able to help me there!" Lucy was suddenly animated once again, no longer feeling it necessary to hide herself, clasping her hands together while twirling around in excitement.  It was so easy to forget that she was lost in this valley, and her only way out was through the help of these three strangers.

"So you see – it is imperative that I get to Uthlyn, for the sake of my kingdom, which lies far behind this world's walls! It all depends –" and she closed her eyes, pausing for dramatic effect, "– on the goodness of you three heroes!" Her hands were still clasped, as if in prayer, eyes wide and pleading.

Rhindeer

"A princess!" Siobhan gasped, and looked to Michael, wiping her smile off her face. right, right! Business face! It was not exciting to be in the presence of royalty. "D'ya think she's really Serenian nobility? I mean lookit that hair! It's so pink. That's totally Serenian...I think."

She tapped a finger to her lips thoughtfully, turning to watch the strange girl as she whirled and was all...animated. Still, if she was Serenian, it could mean she was also a mage. But if she was also nobility, well, didn't that make things complicated? Either way, it was Michael's call! She was in charge so, slowly, Siobhan sidestepped so she was no longer hiding the girl.

It would sure be weird for an unmarked mage to want to head for Uthlyn, though!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Valeria continued to eye the girl carefully. Clearly something was a bit off with her. She was fine with that if the girl turned out to be harmless, but there was always a possibility magic was involved, especially if she was Serenian just as Siobhan suggested. On the other hand, she was here openly asking a trio of Mordecai for help getting to a major city further within Connlaoth's borders. If she was a mage, she was either stupid, crazy, or woefully uninformed about the Connlaothian people.

At this point Valeria couldn't rule out any of the three.

"You mind tellin' us exactly where you are from, miss Neste?" she asked, not really buying the 'my kingdom lies far beyond this world's walls' bit. Although even if that was true, her coming from another world meant magic would likely be involved. That didn't really look good for her, either. Valeria sighed lightly; if this girl was a mage, or even gave them enough reason to suspect she was a mage, then this encounter was likely to cost her a trip home. This would leave her angry and disappointed, but the job came first.

Anonymous

"Well, that's a good question," Lucy acknowledged, placing her hands on her hips. "Sadly, it is a question I cannot answer, for, alas – I am not sure just where I am from either." It was a grand declaration, but it was indeed the truth.

In Lucy's eyes, they were lucky she was going this far to entertain their twenty questions – she was a civilian in need of a hero's help, after all, and she had never heard of heroes who interrogated helpless victims before deciding to take them in! At this point, it hadn't even occurred to Lucy that they might think ill of her and leave her in these wilds – they might be curious and nosy, but they weren't heartless, surely not!

She crossed her arms over her chest, nodding. "That's why I need to get to Uthlyn, you see – I've heard it's the city of scholars! So, surely, there must be some book or intelligent hero that dwells there that can tell me where I'm from!" Lucy, as usual, did not stop to think of another plan – of what might happen if there really was no one there who could help her. At least, if she arrived in Connlaoth, she'd be amongst people, in civilization! She'd had quite enough of sleeping on dirty forest floors, thank you very much.

She searched their faces, her eyes ever so hopeful – they surely wouldn't leave her to die out there in the wild, did they?

[ OOC | I'm not sure if I skipped your turn or not, Rina, but if I did, my apologies! ]

Anonymous

[[OOC: You did, but /no/ worries xD You should have! I was super busy and it's not fair to let one slow person hold a thread up xD And see! I caught up! 8D YAY!]]

Sweet Ansgar's breath but Siobhan was a moron. Pretty, but dumb. Which was normally exactly how Michael liked her women, but when they were supposed to be her troops? It made Michael realize she really was going to have to take a more active in training.

And have a little chat with the dumb cow later. Never a good idea to show weakness to an enemy. Thankfully Valaria seemed smart enough.

"Well, Majesty," When Michael spoke the word, it sounded more like a slur than a title, "We don't have many records of magical kingdoms here. We don't allow magic or its taint here." She slid her eyes along the girls form. Skinny, but not bad looking. It was always a little dangerous for a pretty rouge witch to find herself alone with Mordecai.

Rhindeer

Siobhan tilted her head, furrowing her brow, and then looked at Michael and Valeria. "Think she, uh, maybe hit her head or somethin'?" she asked, twirling her finger by her temple for emphasis. A princess...but she didn't even remember where she was from?

Then something clicked and she frowned. "Heeey...how's she even know she's a princess if she don't even know what her kingdom is?"

Anonymous

The more she heard this girl talk, the more Valeria suspected she was more crazy than anything else. Her arms crossed as she chewed her lip thoughtfully. Maybe it was just the side of her that didn't want to lose a trip home, but as odd and...different as this girl was, she seemed pretty harmless. It was still possible this was all just an act, but really, what mage would be foolish enough to actively approach a trio of Mordecai?

Regardless, anything relevant there was to say seemed to have been stated or asked by Siobhan and Michael. Valeria opted to stay quiet for the moment, keeping a careful eye on their 'guest.' Who knew, any one of those flamboyant gestures could have been a spell that failed because of their own anti-magic fields. But that thought only went back to the foolishness of mages approaching Mordecai in the first place.

There was little to do for the moment but wait and see what happened.

Anonymous

Something was terribly wrong here. Either the stories that of heroes and knights that Lucy had read as a child had lied to her or these people weren't heroes, and merely dressed up like to give poor girls like Lucy false hope. She crossed her arms over her chest taking in the shorter one's words, mulling over her options here. Apparently this lady was afraid of magic or something – and Lucy, at that moment, wished she was a mage, so she could show this stuffy lady just how cool it could be! Sadly, she was magicless – but there was no way to prove it so these people could show her out of these horrid woods. What was their deal, anyway? When one comes across a lady lost in the wilds, does one question her, or bring her to town? Lucy figured the answer was obvious, but apparently not...

It was a little disheartening, to hear that Uthlyn might not have the information she needed, but hell, she would take anything over being stuck out here. "But I'm not magical," Lucy insisted, pressing a hand to her chest. "And even if Uthlyn isn't any help to me, I'd do anything to get out of this forest! Do you know how long I've been stuck out here?" Lucy didn't even know how long she'd been stuck out here. Maybe she knew before, but her head hurt from having to deal with these three non-heroes. Heroes who just stood there and had her plead her case, like she was a convicted criminal on trial. Well, Lucy Neste was not a felon – she was a princess, damnit!

She turned to the nicer one – who was now joining the 'pick on poor Lucy' bandwagon. Lucy huffed, stomping her foot. "Because I did hit my head! Or something. I don't remember what happened – but if I remembered what happened, I probably would remember where I came from, at least." Didn't she already explain this?

Biting her lip, Lucy was getting more and more depressed – it really was beginning to look like they were just gonna leave her here. How much long would she have to beg? She was indeed called the beggar princess, but this trio was probably the stodgiest group of heroes she had ever met.

"Look," she said, holding her hands above her head and twirling. "I'm definitely not magical – I'm just a young lady lost in the woods who really needs some help!" She decided not to bring up her being a princess again – the shorter one seemed jealous of her title and said 'majesty' like it was a dirty word before. "And if you don't help me, I'll...!" She'd what? Lucy, in her most determined voice, declared, "I'll cry." And that'd be effective, wouldn't it? If nothing else was... "You don't want me to cry, do you? I don't even have a handkerchief to wipe away the tears... I'd be a wreck – it'd be a horrible, sight, really!"

And if that didn't work? Well, Lucy was already compiling a long list of begging techniques as she awaited their response. It had been a while since she had to plead for this long, and her pride was telling her to walk away and find some other help, but these three had been the only people she'd seen on this path in a while...

Anonymous

She was going to cry? Well, that would just be tragic wouldn't it. Rolling her eyes, Michael waved the girl closer, "Fine. Come along then."

The pink haired tart didn't seem to be a danger and Michael really didn't want to go into an interrogation in the middle of the field. Best keep an eye on her and see if she tried anything. Turning her back, Michael headed back toward Valaria's hometown.

It wasn't the girls destination, but she was just going to be stuck with them for a little while.

Rhindeer

Oh thank goodness Michael agreed to take her, because dealing with crying people was just awful. Sure, it was their job and Siobhan had dragged many a practicing mage into custody, bawling and screaming, but it was still never pleasant. It tugged at her heartstrings, it did, because she knew it wasn't really their fault they got blighted. Magic did awful things to a person--but at the very least, she could find comfort in knowing they'd have another chance in their next life.

But, seemed this girl wasn't a mage. Just very confused! Which was a relief, because it would have been a let-down for Valeria not to see her old village...

"Oh, good! So we still get to see your hometown, Val!" she finally piped up as she followed after Michael, trying to add some cheer and positivity now that the crisis had been averted.