Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Aimless

Started by Anonymous, April 04, 2011, 07:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"I think so as well. Especially when you get caught in a downpour. It's really handy then." He chuckled and looked to the basket as it was swiped from him. ".. Injured or not, the basket's not that heavy, and I would hope I don't look that weak." He smirked. "But if you insist. I suppose cooking up a meal is adequate enough in your eyes as a thanks?"

He followed along the faint path, finding the earth that was starting to show through the grass quite interesting. It just showed she had a liking for that lake-- and it was quite a nice lake.

"Aa, that's OK. I've been living in the woods for a few months now. I'm used to finding things in the wilderness and cooking it." He nodded. "Important skill to have-- it's nice to meet someone else who doesn't rely on food bought at markets."

His eyes came to rest on her small house as it came to view and he smiled. "Nice place~ Though, do you live alone?"

Anonymous

"I can see how that would be. I don't mind getting wet, it can be refreshing. But, that would be handy when I've got something with me I don't want soaked. And I do insist. You already washed them, it's just bad manners to make a guest carry my basket, do my laundry and cook my meal."

Anja nodded, "Yeah. It's nice though, I like the quiet and I can go into town when I do get lonely." As she never bothered to lock her home, Anja just pushed the door open and let Castien in. The cottage was simple and sturdy and there were books and papers everywhere. It was all carefully stacked and organized, but it was obvious there was too much for the space she had.

The main room had the kitchen and an eating area, with a bed pushed up against a far wall with a chest near it. And a door led off to another room, but it was shut tight, a heavy lock on the door.

Herbs of all kinds hung from the ceiling, also carefully organized, "Well, this is it."

Anonymous

"Ok ok~ If you insist. But I'm not much of a guest. Just a passerby returning a good deed." He smiled to her.

Approaching the cottage, he realized it was much smaller than he had though, but it was quaint. He stepped inside and took note of all the papers and books, raising a brow at the clutter that was strangely organized. Then to her bed, the chest.. over to the eating area and finally the kitchen. Looking up at all of the herbs. Those made him smile-- a woman with good taste really. Fresh herbs were always the best.

His eyes then focused on a heavy door that was bolted. Looking over it's structure confused for a moment, then he looked around before back to the door. It was so out of place. Shrugging, he walked into the kitchen area and looked over the herbs. Thinking of what to make. "Do you like meat?"

Anonymous

"I would much rather have a guest. That sounds much nicer and less like you are some sinister stranger." Moving to the bed, Anja set her clothes basket on it and turned back to Castien, "Meat, yes, though I don't really have much."

Hunting game was technically illegal and Anja didn't like to press her luck too often with game. And it was much, much easier to just find food or grow it herself, "There is a root cellar too, the entrance is just outside."

Anonymous

"Oh. Well, in that case I'm a guest! I'm really no sinister stranger." Castien was almost worried that she might actually have thought that. Then again, with his legs in that position, running was not going to happen any time soon.

He watched her move over to her bed and set the clothes down, then nodded. "Ok~ So root cellar. Hm.. I think I know what I'll make. But you'll have to give me a moment. I'll be right back." He turned and stepped out of her house. Taking note of where it was before he set off into the woods. Where he came from, they hunted all the time, so he didn't know that it was technically illegal. He was a hunter in a hunter and gatherer tribe.

About twenty minutes later he came back through the doors with a few potatoes and a wild hare he had caught. Though there were plenty of hare in the woods, Castien liked to follow them a bit and make sure he wasn't killing a mother. All he wanted was food for two, not a meal plus suffering babies. He had taken the liberty to kill the hare out of her site, not wanting to upset her, but brought the hare inside to clean it and start about making a stew with hare meat in it.

Anonymous

While Castien was gone, Anja took the time to put her clothes away and try and straighten up the cottage. It was a bit of a losing battle, there just wasn't enough place for all her research. It was time to ship a bunch back home, but she just hated losing her notes.

But that didn't matter. It was for her father and that was the important part. She could make copies of the really important ones and just deal. It wasn't like she could keep finding space forever.

Castian's reappearance with the rabbit surprised her a little, but it wasn't that odd, she herself poached on occasion, "Do you need any help? I can clean that for you?"

Anonymous

He turned to look at her then smiled. "Well, if you really insist. I would rather take care of the animal. But, if you would like, you can wash the potatoes and peel them if you don't like the skins." In his home area, the women never really dealt with the animals. They would take care of the food that didn't bleed. So he wasn't about to let her touch raw meat.

He easily gutted the hare and skinned it. Setting the skins aside and even pulled out the brains and put them in a bowl and set that aside. He cut out the meat and cleaned it up. Cubing it neatly and throwing it all into a skillet. He washed his hands and started the burner. Letting the meat sizzle while he turned to the skins. Laying them hair down and cleaning the underside. Then he grabbed the brains and smeared them on the skin, picking the skins up carefully so he didn't get brain matter all over, he made his way outside and looked around a bit. Then he hung the skins up where carnivorous animals would not be able to get to it. Letting the sun dry it out.

Castien stepped back inside and washed his hands again. Grabbing a spoon he started to flip the meat. Making sure it didn't burn but was just about cooked before he tossed it into a pot. Then started to add spices and water to make a broth.

Anonymous

"Oh, alright." Anja started to wash the potatoes, not really bothered by the meat, though she was a little surprised he didn't want her help. She had wondered if maybe he would prepare it differently, but he didn't seem to do anything odd.

Soon the potatoes were washed and peeled, the skins she put aside to use in her garden later.

"That smells really good."

Anonymous

He looked to the potatoes she peeled for him and smiled. "Thanks~" he took them and diced over the pot, dropping them in as he was done cutting them. Then he gabbed the spoon and stirred the stew. Turning to face her when she spoke again. "Well thank you. I hope you like it when it's finished."

He looked back to the stew. "So. Is there a specific reason why you chose to live alone, or is because you have so many books you don't have room?" He chuckled. It was amusing that she had all those books and papers. He wondered what she was studying.

Anonymous

"Oh, I like the quiet. I grew up in a very crowded household. And I have my work." Anja gestured to the books and papers and gave a small laugh, "It's much easier to work on it without distractions."

This wasn't a subject she really wanted to focus on and leaned over the pot, taking a deep breathe, "Well, it smells amazing. I'm quite looking forward to this. You seem to be quite the cook."

Anonymous

"Well, in a medley of these books, I can see why you don't get too lonely. There are so many here!" he chuckled, watching her lean over the pot. "Well, I'm glad it smells good to you. Where I come from the men do most of the cooking-- and when it requires meat, women are not to touch it unless that woman is a widow." He nodded.

Stirring the stew again, Castien looked at how the vegetables and meat were cooking. Then lifted the spoon with some broth and tasted it. He soon added some salt to it and stirred again. Turning off the flame. "Well, it's done"

Anonymous

"Exactly!" Though, a number of them were journals, written by Anja. She gave him a puzzled look, tilting her head, "Really? The men do the cooking? Why is that? And why can't women touch the meat? Here, women do the cooking."

She quickly dug out some bowls and spoons, holding them out for Castien to fill, "I am looking forward to this. Doctoring gives one an appetite."

Anonymous

He nodded. "Yeah. I believe it has something to do with the blood. I never really asked though, I just followed what I was told. Though, the women are allowed to handle anything else, and most men cheat it and will just cook the meat and then add it to what ever the woman wants with it." He turned to take a bowl and fill it, holding onto the bowl so it wouldn't slip from her fingers and she wouldn't run the risk of being burnt. Though he handed the filled bowls to her, letting her lead the way in getting utensils and moving to a table.

And he followed. Eager to see what she would think of his cooking. "I'm glad it worked up an appetite. There is very little I could do to thank you for the trouble."

Anonymous

"The blood? What's so bad about the blood?" Anja moved to the table, setting the bowls down and setting wooden spoons next to them, "Would you like something to drink? I've got mostly water and some mead if you want it? Or I think I've got some wine..."

Anonymous

"Hm..." He looked to her and thought a moment.. Though his face soon went blank and he shook his head. "To be honest.. I never asked." He shrugged. "I just supposed it was normal so it never sparked my interest to ask about it."

He followed her over to the table and looked to his bowl of food, then to her face. "Oh.. that would be great. I would like the mead please." Castien smiled, he loved mead, but it's been a while since he had any.

Anonymous

((OOC: You know what Yoreiq as a whole doesn't have gender divides and practices a lot of blood magic, right?))

"That seems weird. Blood is so...normal. So powerful. Seems odd to not let women touch it." Anja turned and grabbed two simple mugs. The jug of mead was already on the table and she poured them both cups, "I make it myself, so I apologize if it isn't that good."

Anonymous

(( OOC: Yeah. I know. Castien's just trying not to talk about it. He is kind of.. bending it because he wanted to pay her back and try to minimize her help.

He nodded to her in agreement. "Yes.. Blood is powerful." He said.. then paused. "Ok.. I have to come clean. Women do cook meat.." he rubbed the back of his head. "I just didn't want you to feel as though you should help-- I wanted this to be a thank you meal. It's sort of my own personal duty to make sure I repay those who do kind things to me." He sat down at the table and looked to the cup. "Oh.. home made mead? Well~" He eagerly picked up the cup and sipped it. "Oh! This is delicious."

Anonymous

((OOC: xD Okay, I just wanted to double check to make sure we were on the same page))

Anja took her seat, looking a little startled at Castien's announcement, "Oh. Well, uh...thank you. But really, it was nothing. You shouldn't worry about it. You did my laundry."

Picking up her own spoon, she took a bite of the stew and closed her eyes, making a pleased sound, "This is wonderful! You are an amazing cook."