Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

New Things Can't Always Be Good Things. (Lion!)

Started by Anonymous, July 03, 2011, 12:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The forets felt different. She was a plain as day human, her hair was tied back in a braid to keep the curls at bay and her bow and arrows were ready in her hands. Things felt... Different. Wrong. Not quite right. There birds weren't chirping even though it was late morning, she couldn't hear any of the skittering of the animals. It wasn't... Right.

Her footsteps were silent and she hear something. It wasn't an animal, it was footsteps  and she quickly rushed to where they were coming from. They weren't clumsy, but they weren't trying to hide themselves. Taich wrinkled her nose and stood on the stump of a tree before she nocked an arrow and pointed it in the direction of where the footsteps were coming from. She let fly a warning shot, the aim off so it hit a tree with a dull thud and she nocked another arrow. "Show yourself."

The last time she found someone they were almost dead. Hopefully this time wouldn't be so eventful.

Lion

He was starting to find, with some regret and faint discouragement, that this world was much larger than many others that he'd been on.  Here, there was so much to explore, so much to see, so many people to understand.  Rubik might not have been the most tactful person, but he had a guilty pleasure of observing people, seeing what they did, trying to get a better view of what their purpose was.  Was it to answer a question concerning the meaning of life?  Didn't every generation, every civilization, every race, every person, no matter of creed or form of life, make their own answer to that very subject?  Rubik did not know, could never really  know the answer to the eternal question.  But every world he'd wandered, traveling through planes unknown to many others, he found a different answer, an altered conclusion that suited the needs of those whose question it answered.  But none could answer his.  He had only one:  What was his creator?  And none could help him.

Rubik was starting to think that perhaps they were dead by now.  But he couldn't stop until he knew for sure.  Here on this world, things were decidedly different than the others he'd visited.  Here humans reigned supreme in a backwards way of living.  He couldn't understand it, but in time, he knew he would.  Here, his old instincts of observation kicked in and he studied life as it played out.  Though still none of it provided the answer he sought most.  A Construct must observe though; for that was the purpose with which they were built.  To better his assessment, he figured, it would most likely be best to traverse this world by the means of those that lived here.  And since horses were scared of him, he would have to use the two legs that remained erect under him.  And he walked, walking in the direction that they took him, that of north, or south, or wherever he was going.  It didn't really matter anyway; the point being that he was moving.

Soon enough the trees were growing thicker and thicker around him and the racket of wildlife came abound.  He walked on without caution or fear of being attacked, which was probably not the smartest thing for a normal mortal.  But for him, it only came naturally.  He meant no harm to anyone, why should they seek reason to harm him.  After several hours the forest became silent and the sun had risen high.  Rubik stopped, looking around him.  Was something following him that made the indigenous wildlife stop carrying about in their average, daily routines?  Rubik was not aware of the birds and small animals that stared at him with fairly bulging eyes, many of which scattered from their positions after having looked long enough.

He proceeded to keep on walking when suddenly something tiny and projectile-like shot out of the air and rebounded on a tree beside him.  He bent down to pick up the pointed object made of wood and feathered with a sharp, triangular head that looked threatening.  Then a woman spoke, somewhat harshly to his sensitive ears and demanded his appearance.  "Oh, I am sorry," he said.  "I suppose you want your pointed stick back, don't you?"  Rubik came into view of the woman and paused as she aimed another pointed stick at him, this time a little more threateningly.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Taich lowered the arrow and quickly put it back to sleep before she stared and frowned and opened her mouth to speak and then stared some more. Eventually she let her hand rest down at her side with her bow dig into the dirt and she took a few steps forward with her hand out and open. "Um. Yes. I would like my pointed stick back."

A blink and she pushed her braid over her shoulder, her mismatched eyes trailing up and down the... mans? Body. Was it a man? It sounded like one, it was shaped like one - sorta - but... Was it a man? He seemed nice, and she'd have nothing to lose if he decided to go psycho on her and eat her with his.... mass. Taich cleared her throat, "I apologize for the rude greeting. I'm not used to finding people and when I do they're usually... Bad." She tilted her head to the side and took another step closer, her hand still out unconsciously as in she were trying to keep a tame animal calm.

"My name is Taich... May I ask what yours is?"

Lion

The Cubic Man blinked at her, or rather the ruby red glow of where his eyes were flashed at her in an action that could be construed as a blink.  He did it again and merely stared at the odd woman.  She was smaller than he was, most everyone was, and though she stared, if a little rudely, he figured it was only a matter of time before she went screaming down through the forest.  That's what they all did, eventually.

But she didn't.  Rubik wanted to smile, but was unsure if such a reaction would be accepted here.  When she told him she wanted her pointy stick back, he looked the object in his hands and tossed to her, a bit like a dart, though he was sure she'd avoid the pointy end.  He'd did not know exactly what she was staring at, but it was then that he'd recalled he'd forgot to wear any clothes that morning.  It wasn't like he had any imperative need to do so.  But he respected societal inclinations toward not walking around in the bareness of one's...er, birthday cubes.

"Bad people make for bad meetings, and bad endings," he said, clearly, though his voice was deep, it sounded grated as if he wasn't used to using it.  "I am Rubik.  That is what my Constructor has called me since I was assembled.  I have one thing to ask...  Why are you not running from me?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Taich stared still, her eyes wide and she licked her lips before she moved to the side so the 'pointy dart' embedded its self into the tree behind her with a dull thunk. She wasn't afraid, not of her own arrow even though that didn't give it some special ability to help her dodge it or anything. His voice was... Nice. And she didn't really acknowledge the fact that his 'birthday cubes' were on display, his whole being was more distracting than anything specific... bits.

While a tilt of her head, her long braid swung against her hip and she frowned slightly before finally letting her lips move upwards. The faintest of smiles. She wasn't an amazing looking woman, in fact the only thing remotely unusual about her was maybe the length of her hair and how thick it managed to be at the bottom and that her eyes were two different colours. One of her eyes was a dark hazel while the other was a bright blue. The rest of her? Pretty normal. She didn't have ginormous boobies, she had wide hips and thick thighs, strong arms and good posture. That and a thick auburn braid which swung back and forth by her hips.

Leather and cotton and a pack with her bow and a quiver for her arrows and she was set. And staring. At his cubeness. Taich shook herself from distraction and cleared her through, "Rubik." She repeated, careful of the pronounciation, just in case. "It's ... Well." Why wasn't she running away? "Running would be rude, and... I'm not rude. And you have no visible weapons. Or visible clothing." Taich quickly gave him a once over before she yanked the arrow out of the tree and took a few steps closer to him, her steps were quiet.

"If you'd like to come with me I can help you. Find you something to... to... Eat. And... Wear." Somehow.

Lion

Rubik looked back and studied her all the while she tried to make sense of exactly what she was looking at.  He tried to make sense of her too.  Here she was human...and she wasn't running.  Sure it was rude, but it seemed to be the normal reaction to coming into contact with someone like him.  He wasn't exactly threatening, but he could defend himself at a moment's notice.  There was a thankful sense that he didn't need to defend himself in the current cases of Taich.

She was fair to look at, average for a human.  It wasn't nice to say but all humans looked pretty much the same to him, but it was a process that he kept to himself. Rubik noticed the strange color of her eyes, like somebody had programmed them to be two different colors.  The thought fascinated him and he wondered if she would let him take out her eyeballs to get a better look at them.

The smile that grew on his face when he noticed her eyes quickly faded and he looked down at him when she remarked about finding him something to wear.  "Oh!" he gasped and quickly rearranged his cubes below to make himself genderless.  The formation of them turned and tumbled in on themselves until nothing showed.  "Wear...yes.  That would be help," he said quickly and approached her a little cautiously.  "I'd like for you to help me, yes.  I don't know exactly what I am hungry for, but....  What are you doing here in these woods anyway?  Do you always fire pointy sticks at strangers?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Taich stared while his... Cubes... Reformed themselves into a genderless... Spot. She felt a blush on her cheeks and she cleared her throat politely before she slowly looked away, though maybe a little too slowly. She stood patiently when he moved towards her and she tilted her head and blinked at him when he spoke, by the time he was finished she had a large amused grin on her face.

Fire pointy sticks at people. "They're called arrows, and no, not always. Just a few weeks ago I found a poor bloodied up man and ever since that I've been on high alert, unfortunately bandits and nasty mean people tend to think the forest is a safe place for them to hide."  Taich moved closer, putting her bow away by slinging it over her shoulder like a backpack.

"I'll lead you back. We can figure out what you eat together, since... Do you know?" Taich eyed him for a moment before she cleared her throat and then rubbed at her stomach, "Do you eat rocks?" After a moment she waved her hand, "Answer that later, I'll lead you to Home For Now and then ... Yeah. We'll figure out what to do after. C'mon." Taich moved closer before she gently took his wrist in her gloved hand and started to lead him to the cabin. It wasn't a long trip, up a hill and a bit. Dense greenery and it was a modest cabin. Wood, wet from a recent rainfall.

There were no windows, simply a hole to  help air out the place, it was one large room with a fireplace and there was a large bed of fur in one corner. Finally, Taich let him go holding out a pelt she quickly snagged incase he wanted to cover his... Parts.

Lion

The cubic man could conceive of the word home.  What did it mean?  What as its purpose?  Did it mark a passage, show a way, grow from the ground, alight an area?  What did it do that made it so important to these mortal creatures?  He had begun to see that people lived in large constructions that seemed to make them hide from the outside world. That he could understand.  Sometimes there were bad people that had tendencies to do very bad things, much in a way that the only way to protect yourself was to hide yourself.  He'd learned over time that these things were usually called houses.  But never a home.  What was a home?

He would have asked what that was had she not took his wrist in hand and dragged him off toward a place that was still as of yet unknown.  The forest was strange to him, like walking in a sea of brown bark spines that branched off in meandering trails.  The creatures here were even stranger.  They were of things he'd never seen before.  But he was intelligent and curious enough to learn as he observed.  That was what he did after all.  He observed.  So that's what he did as he was dragged along.  The forest seemed to extend on forever until they came upon a construction that was built out of spines, many of them, that were shaved down and trimmed to fit together in this...house.  Rubik found himself smiling.  These 'houses' were everywhere weren't they.

Rubik entered the house with just a little bit of apprehension.  He was not sure if he was welcome in a place like this.  The first few encounters with these humans had not been pleasant ones, though he did not threaten anyone.  But for the first time someone was welcoming him into his home, helping him.  It would only be rude not to enter.

And when he did he looked around with his ruby eyes, stunned, amazed, and little dazed from the intake of all this new information.  But he did not say anything.  Then she thrust something soft and flesh-like at him, which he held a little confusedly in his hands.  "What is this?" he asked, holding it as if were a soiled napkin.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Taich stared for a moment before she looked down at the pelt she put in his hands. Holding it like it was dirty. She tilted her head before she tried not to smile and gently took it back from him. "It's the skin. Of a deer." She said sheepishly. It sounded disgusting when she had to explain it. Did she go into detail? Hey she shot a deer to eat and decided it had nice skin so she'd wear it sometime or sleep on it occasionally.  

Clearing her throat politely, "I ate the... Animal. And kept the skin to make a bed, to keep warm. " She eyed his arms and then chewed on her lip. Did he feel cold? "Do you ... drink? Water?" Taich motioned to a basin of water in the corner, clean of course, she'd only gotten it that morning and while it was wood the 'house' wasn't dirty. Just... very brown.

Lion

Rubik just stared at the skin that she held in her hands in mixtures of wonderment and fascination.  He liked the way the skin felt in his fingers but it was nice now to finally know what it was.  The flesh of an animal.  That was not so unusual.  Many worlds held creatures that hunted one another and prized the usage of organic material.  Rubik found no value in organic material the reasoning behind it astounded him.

The cubic man noted the awkwardness by which she spoke and merely laughed at the concept, thinking it silly.  Then she asked about water....  Water?  "Oh!  Well, my cubes are feeling rather dry.  I can drink water.  I can also eat normally as well in case you are wondering.  You're house...I noticed, is very small.  Do you get visitors often?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

'my cubes'. Taich tried not to smile at him, tried to smile with him but the 'my cubes' thing made a chuckle bubble up her throat and she had to clear her throat and turn away to get him a cup of water. It was in a tin cup, nothing fancy, the paint on the outside was chipped and it did indeed look like a well used and well loved cup. It was once her fathers, now it was for guests.

"I was wondering. I mostly eat dried meats and any fruits, berries and vegetables I find out in the forest, but I keep some dried fruits around too. And nuts. " Taich pursed her lips, "Sometimes if the kill is fresh the meat is cooked. Aaah... I'm yammering." She smiled and pushed her braid over her shoulder. This was weird. There was a man made of cubes standing around sort-of-naked-but-it-didn't-officially-count-because-he-didn't-have-man-bits.  

After holding out the cup to him, she smiled, "Yes, small. It's mostly for staying in while I check on small villages. Make sure there are no bandits camping out around here, just... Try to keep it safe. Like my father did before he died. I ... Take in people who are lost, or wounded, help them out and then send them on their way when they're able to again." She smiled again and then rummaged through her back, chewing on a dried apple bit.

Lion

Rubik took the cup with thanks and drank from it daintily, perhaps too much so for a Construct.  But even Constructs were designed to need rest and sustenance every now and then.  He would absorb the essence of the water and use it to restore his energy of realm traveling.

He merely smiled at her and drank the rest of the water.  "That actually sounds delicious right now!"  He listened to the rest of her words and nodded, his face tilted in thought.  A father, patriarch, elder...  He'd never had one of those before.  She said he had died, which to him meant his body did not awake again.  Rubik had no understanding of the afterlife or of the idea of it.  "Your father," he started.  "Who was he?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Taich dug around in her back and carefully extracted a pack which she just as carefully unwrapped to hand him what looked like a slab of dried up meat. "It's not the best, but... It's food and it'll keep your...Cubes... moving." She supplied, taking the empty cup and exchanging it for the dried meat.

"His name was Luke." Taich smiled, "He named me, took care of me. Died a few years ago, he got sick." Taich frowned, remembering how she'd become afraid of being sick since then. Afraid of dying. She always turned into a wreck when she found herself ill, but she always got better. "I'm not sure why, but... He never got better. I took care of him, I burried him in the forest. I'm sure a wolf dug him out and ate him, "She laughed, rather than felt disgusted. Such was the way of life.

The old and sick got eaten.

"He taught me how to use my bow. He did what I do, I only do it because it's all I've really known. As soon as I could move on my own, I'd trail behind him or make him give me piggy back rides." There was a small smile on her face, a hint of sadness in her dual coloured eyes and she turned to Rubik before she smiled brightly. "He was a strong man who raised a daughter by himself. No easy task in a forest." She blushed when she realized she'd just trailed off and babbled. "Sorry. I... Miss him."

"What about you? Do you have a father, Rubik?"

Lion

Rubik looked at the meat with scrutiny, unsure if he should eat it.  He'd never eaten meat before, only natural things that grew from well kept soil.  He held it in his hands and sniffed at it, unsure exactly if he ought to.  He rearranged his cubes around it to save it for later, his hand reforming back when it was put away, as she began to tell her story.

When it was over, he blinked red ruby lights at her and found it difficult to realize that a wolf would want to eat her dead father.  "I do not think so," he said matter-of-factly.  "A corpse isn't exactly the perfect meal for a wolf.  They like a fresh kill, not something that's been dead for a while."  If only he'd realized just how rude it was to correct a young woman who's memory of her father obviously brought about grief.  But he said nothing more of the matter.  And just smiled innocently at her.

"I do not believe I've ever had a father.  Things like me...are built for one purpose.  And are built by one Constructor.  They are our teacher, nurturer, and guider.  Mine was named Silva.  Something happened to her, she was gone.  They made her go away and I'm trying to find her.  I suppose she was more like a mother than a father, but I don't know the difference.   Do you have a mother?  Where is she?"  It was unusual for complete strangers to speak so candidly about themselves like this, but for Rubik it was incredibly refreshing to finally have someone who didn't treat him like an outcast.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Taich stared at Rubik for a moment before she laughed and then rubbed her arm, "yeah, I guess so. I'd rather eat fresh meat than something that's been sitting there for a few days." She moved her hand down to her other hand and then handed him one of the dried apple bits, having noticed the way he was examining it.

He didn't know the difference between a mother and a father? "Well. Mother and father is the name for parents. Mother is the female, father is the male. Fathers supply the... Material... And Mothers... Make the... Offspring." Taich coughed, not sure how else to explain that, "So yes, I guess technically the Silva lady would be your mother." Her lips pursed and she looked at Rubik, her eyes dull as if she was staring off into space, at nothing.

"She's gone. She left when I was born, she didn't want me so she left me with my faher." Taich smiled again before she got up again to get another tin cup of water, taking a long drink of it herself before she refilled it again and held it out to rubik. Just in case his cubes were still parched. "Do you sleep?"

Lion

Silva...  Was she a female?  Was she even a she?  Rubik realized he didn't know.  He'd only ever called her Silva.  It didn't matter what she was or where she was.  He merely knew that he had to find her, to ask her the question only she could answer.  Rubik frowned visibly until he was offered the apple bit, which he promptly shoved in his mouth and swallowed without chewing.

He nodded at her explanation, knowing what it was and how it was done.  But there was more to it that certain cultures put into each role, made them specific, special in a way.  It was this he did not understand.  And more than likely never would.

Rubik saw that talk of her mother made a visible change in her eyes and he looked at the spot where he thought she was looking, seeing nothing of importance.  He took the water without a word and drank it all in one shot.  "Sleep? Me?  Not really.  I do not know how.  Do you sleep?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn