Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A new Beginning [M]

Started by Anonymous, July 11, 2011, 08:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

In the midst of her talking to Devi she had crouched down to her level and had reached out to touch her forehead. She was shocked at the state in which Devi was in. She was devastated that Devi was so upset over it all. That was, until Ghanon had crouched down to talk to her. Even showed his battle wounds. And it all seemed to help.

Until Devi made that ultimatum to Ghanon-- not to leave them. Ba'ast turned to look at Ghanon's face-- this was something she knew he wouldn't be able to do. He had told her, had made it pretty clear that he wouldn't be able to. So, Devi asking that was scary. So she just looked to Devi and awaited to hear his answer to that.

((Sorry.. my posts are getting kinda..blah. >>))

Lion

[Oh hush!  And don't be a foo'!  All your posts are awesome. B|]

She was such a smart sweet little girl, and even if she was a demon, she was softer than he thought she would be.  She was just a child, and maybe she would grow up to be like her mother.  Or maybe not, but that was up to her.  She had so much potential, Ghanon considered and he was disappointed, somewhat, in himself that he might yet break another promise to his child.

He knew he couldn't stay forever...and he knew that Devi wouldn't be a child forever.  But what did it mean for him to stay?  Did it mean to give up his sole purpose of existence?  He never did give much thought to being a father, to staying and raising a child, whether that was on his own or with another.  And he knew he'd already become attached to those that he'd let himself become close to.  That was one thing he fought against, one thing he knew would change the nature of the game he played with gods and demons and beings of other worlds.

He'd never been stagnant, could never bring himself to remain in one place for so long.  If he stayed, what did it mean that the fates of mortals remain stagnant as well?  It had all started with his search for the dreamshards, and he knew he would always search for them, until he could bring as many pieces of it together.  Perhaps it was a search that would end in vain.  Perhaps he'd earned it.  To have a moment of peace amidst the chaos of his existence.  Change would always happen, for better or for worse.  He might not be able to stay forever, but he found it within himself that he could stay now.

Perhaps it was not what Devi wanted to hear, but Ghanon couldn't bring himself to lie to her.  She was strong enough, she could take it.  "Life is never going to be fair to you, Devi and change happens, whether for better or for worse.  It might seem like a dream, so distant and so very far away, but eventually you will grow up, and you'll want to leave here and venture out on your own.  And then you'll be leaving me."

"Do you see that pretty mirror pendant around your mother's neck?" Ghanon said.  "I gave that to her the first time I met her, so that she could reach me anywhere and anytime she needed me or wanted to talk to me.  I think I will give you one too, so that when you need me or want to talk to me, all you  have to do is say so and I'll be there in a flash.  See?  Here, try it on."  Ghanon snapped his fingers and put his hands together cupping them, until he opened them up to reveal a small necklace with a mirror pendant similar to the one he'd given Ba'ast, though the chain was smaller.  He wrapped the thing around her neck and tried to smile warmly at her.

"As long as you have that necklace, I will always be there for you, Devi.  And your mother.  I will stay with you and your mother, for as long as you need me."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Devi had already learned by this point that life was not going to be fair to her. Life had taken away her sister and reduced her to nothing more than a puddle of blood on the floor. Life took her blood and smeared the image permanently into Devi's mind, not even giving her the courtesy of being able to forget. That day, back then... would the memory ever darken, or fade? Or would she walk through life with this vulnerability – the grim memory of that day?

But how could she know such things – of whether the image would stain her mind forever, or not? She couldn't think that far away. She couldn't even think into the future that her father spoke of – where she would grow up, and perhaps leave this place. It wasn't a thought she could grasp – not something she could ever imagine. To leave this place – its rolling hills, the laughing forests that surrounded them – even the laughing townspeople who she loathed for their ignorance... She looked up at her father and wanted to deny it – she would never leave, not ever! But she couldn't. She didn't know what the future held.

When he mentioned it, Devi's eyes turned toward her mother, toward the pendent around her neck For as long as Devi had known her she had worn it, but she had never bothered to think about where it might of come from. Despite her mood, her eyes lit up when her father told her that she could have a pendent like that one as well – so that she could keep in touch with her father no matter where he was. A small grin formed on her features as he a pendent appeared in his hands, and after he finished fastening it around her neck, the little demon was smiling a little more, toying with the pendent with her fingers, looking up at her father.

As long as you have that necklace, I will always be there for you, Devi.

"When you put it like that," Devi started, grinning. "And give me such a pretty necklace too... I guess I have to forgive you, daddy." Her tone mocked exasperation – but the fact that she could joke around again only meant that she was back to her old self. She beamed up at her parents – okay, so they definitely weren't perfect... but neither was Devi. They were all demons fighting their own inner demons, weren't they all? So they would get through whatever obstacle life threw at them, and become stronger for it.

"'Cause right now, I need both of you guys..." Her voice was a little raspy still, and she had to pause to cough into her elbow again – stupid cold... "...to make me breakfast!" she finished, grinning. "I'm starving! Let's have something different besides pancakes though. I want something different and tasty to eat! It's the least momma and daddy can do after keeping me up all night!" Despite her words, she was still kidding around, eager to put everything behind her. She was eager to make new memories with them – better ones, brighter ones.

Anonymous

She watched as Ghanon gave Devi that necklace, her hand coming up to her own to brush her fingers over it slowly while he secured Devi's around her neck. Straightening up and hoping that things would get better. Or not. But, Devi seemed to be OK with it now. She was joking around and the shock from that startled Ba'ast. Devi's strength to pop back like that made her proud, but also happy. If Devi wouldn't have come around, Ba'ast would've been devastated.

Then, it seemed like Devi was going to have a break down. Ba'ast heart sank and she about rushed to Devi's side until the subject came to light and she sighed in relief and bent over to pick Devi up. "Oh~ We'll make something really good for you to help you feel better!"

Lion

Ghanon did not expect her reaction to be so positive, certainly not with everything he told her.  But he found he was becoming more and more proud of Devi with everything the young demon did.  A smile touched his lips and he laughed when she mentioned food.  "Alright!  That doesn't sound like a bad idea," he said and stood up when Ba'ast picked her up.  It was odd, that feeling of love that swelled in his chest when he looked at them both together.  Like he'd been missing something his whole existence and only now found something that fit that gaping hole inside of him.

Ghanon followed them out of the room and into the kitchen.  He paused when he remembered the smashed table and the chairs.  "Oh...sorry about that.  Wait a moment," he said and stepped around them toward the mess.  Wood splintered everywhere and the table was no good anymore.  He sighed before opening a portal through the floor and letting the wood sink through the floor until it vanished.  Before it closed, he ran and leapt through the portal and vanished through it as well as it closed after him.  A whole five minutes passed before he opened the front door.  And through it he pushed a table and with it three new chairs.  When that was done, he closed the door and set the table upright.  It was rounded out and larger than the old one, more ornate and though heavier, was far sturdier than before.  He set the chairs around them, and propped a hand on the table.  "Well?  Is this better or what?  Now we can have breakfast.  Devi, what would you like to eat?  Egg-dipped toast*, an omelette, with lots of bacon and a fish fillet on the side?"

[*French Toast]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Devi grinned, her heart feeling a little less heavy than before now that her parents were smiling again. Okay, so maybe she couldn't erase the past – maybe she couldn't clean away those images that were stained in her head – but she could smile and laugh with her parents, and eat breakfast with the both of them, just like before – so in the end, they had won. All of the shadows that had haunted them since the death of her sister – they were gone, for now.

She watched with curious eyes as her father cleared away the wooden chips and debris (gods, was that leftovers from their fight?) and pushed in a new, more ornate table and chair set for them from his portal. Devi's eyes widened with glee – now this was a table she could see herself eating breakfast on. She took a seat, and Bobbins, who decided it was safe to come out now, lay stretched out on the table, getting fur all over the brand new table without even giving a damn.

When her father asked what she wanted for breakfast, the little demon grinned mischievously, tilting her head to the side. "I want all of it~ it sounds delicious! And Bobbins wants some too, daddy!" More like, Bobbins just wanted some fish. But hell, the cat deserved it – when Devi was in her darkest hours, grieving for her sister, or for her father who had disappeared, Bobbins had been there. The least they could do was give the cat a fish.

Anonymous

She followed after Ghanon into the kitchen while holding Devi in her arms protectively. But her eyes fell on that table and she pursed her lips. Thinking about what to do about the mess-- but Ghanon seemed to have a handle on it all so she just stared as he took the table into another dimension and continued to look at that spot expecting him to return there. Though the sound at the door caused her to turn and she looked to Ghanon, watching him pull the table inside and she smirked.

Ba'ast grinned at the new table and ran her fingers over the top before she set Devi on a chair and moved to sit down as well. "Love it. Thanks darling." She said with a grin to Ghanon and adjusted on the chair, her eyes snapping to Devi at her request for so much food. But she turned to look to Ghanon and blinked. "Well... if she wants all that, then why not?"

Lion

Somewhere in another plane, there was a monastery whose breakfast table had suddenly disappeared, along with a set of chairs that had sunk through the floor.  A monk had walked in, embracing his prayer beads only to pause as he looked around to an empty eating hall, no chairs, no table.  Just the steaming plates of egged bread and omelets and bacon and fish fillet on the stone floor.  The monk jumped again as he watched a black, starry portal open on the floor, the food sinking through it and disappearing.  Suddenly, as that portal closed, another opened up on the ceiling, and ducked his head as a broken table smashed to the floor along with a broken chair set, splinters flying everywhere.  This was more than he could handle and he ran screaming all the way down the hall.

Back in La'marri, Ghanon snapped his fingers and the food materialized on the table, four plates stacked high with each different food item.  He reached in the cabinet and pulled out the plates, "And an extra one for Bobbins," he'd said and smirked at them.  Ghanon moved fast and with rhythm as if he were conducting a symphony as he pulled out utensils and set them on the table with threads of energy.  He put each piece of food on each plate, still steaming and making the room smell heavy with the scent of eggs, pork, and fish.  He put two pieces of fish especially for the cat as a way to say thanks for watching over his child.

He was the last to be served and made his meal light.  He tossed a fish to the cats that emerged from upstairs, meowing and sniffing the air curiously.  Ghanon sat down to eat and did so, slowly carefully.  He was quiet for a long time, despite things looking up.  He knew he couldn't put it off for long.  He looked up at Ba'ast and sat up in his chair.  "I don't know if it's the right time for this," he murmured slowly.  "But I think there is a place I should show you both.  And the sooner I take you there the better."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn