Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

On Wilderness Etiquette

Started by Anonymous, September 18, 2011, 02:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Moisture glistened on Chalael's skin as he wrapped it around himself and cooled it down. The early autumn chills seemed to be late coming this year, and the relative heat of the area made him feel sluggish and tired, but it was the best area to find some of the beasts he captured for fur and food, and so he was making do. Come winter he would once more be in his element, and his dancing around the fires of his adopted people would fill many a lengthened night.

For now, though, as the sun moving across the horizon showed it to be late afternoon, the fur trapper was checking the traps he had laid out that morning. Those that were empty he left; those that were full he emptied and reset. He made his traps to kill instantly so that the fur would not be damaged in a struggle, and he made them small so that they wouldn't catch creatures that were awkward to carry. He also warded them so that larger beasts couldn't poach his kills, and as a result he stockpiled a fair amount of food that he was always willing to share, and spent his winters stitching together cloaks that sold well come trading system.

He didn't ward his traps against humans, though, he wouldn't begrudge travellers a little food if properly compensated for it. but today he was coming upon more traps that had been plundered without any kind of compensation being offered. No coin, no substitute food that a traveller might have wearied of, nothing. Chalael could feel the air freezing around his hands as he got angry, but he fought against the emotion, instead concentrating on searching out sources of heat in the area that he didn't recognise. To him, human heat temperatures were as individual as fingerprints, and thus any that he didn't recognise might be his thief or someone who had seen then. By the time he was done resetting his traps and collecting what was left, it was nearing full darkness and he returned his attention to heat sources, locating a fire. Gathering his wares together he took off towards the heat, landing about twenty feet and walking closer.

"Hello the fire! May I share of your heat this evening?"

Anonymous

Many people talked to themselves, but few had elevated to the art that Phaedra had.  She moved leisurely, poking at the logs in her fire with a long stick.  A fine layer of embers were building up, and soon she would be able to cook her dinner.

A duplicate of herself sat across the fire from her, aimlessly tuning a violin.  

"Where will we go from here?  What city shall we visit."

The Phaedra with the stick blew out her cheeks.

"Whoosh!  I can hardly say, what with being lost and all.  No doubt we shall find some place and someone will enjoy music there and we shall have some kind of payday, and perhaps purchase a map.  Not that I can read maps, but if we are beset by wolves we can use it to whap them in the snout."

It was then that a voice spoke from the darkness, and both Phaedras turned as one to see who it was.  Phaedra was well used to odd people wandering out of the darkness, and so she waved.

"Why certainly!" she called.  "Also I shall roast a pullet in a moment, which will be stuffed with wild herbs, mushrooms, and bread.  You may have some of that if you like, assuming always you're real."

Anonymous

He heard two voices, but they were identical. Speech required the use of air, and everyone sounded different to Chalael as a result, but these two voices were identical, in a slightly creepy way. Still, he had dealt with far more difficult things than creepy voices, and food was offered, so he walked forward carefully, squinting slightly at the two figures then pointing at the one with what appeared to be a violin.

"You," he declared, "are making my eyes water. And you, Mistress Stick, must be a very talented illusionist. I am Chalael Jh'towael. I'm a fur traspper in this area. Would I be correct in believing that you are lost?"

Since she was not native to this area, he had little way of knowing if she was truly out in the cold, so to speak, or just had nowhere in particular to be at the moment. The two were very different to him; this woman had the ability to create fire - he was able to tell that that was no illusion - so he assumed she was more off the beaten path than out in the cold. But you never knew with some people.