Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Are you still there?

Started by Looshi, December 03, 2011, 11:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Looshi

An open bottle of wine sat on the desk in front of her, the glass beside it and it's contents rippling still with the recent movement of being poured. Somewhere in Connlaoth's countryside, workers with their calloused hands and aching backs, were making the glass and planting the vines and praying to a god that the country's seasons would not take it. The curtains billowed out from the open window, Eloise's skin prickled even from under the protection of clothing, when she breathed it was a sharp piercing blow to her nose. The chair creaked as she sat back, fingers curling around the wine glass, fingertips turning a pinkish hue. The only candle in the room flickered, sending the shadows dancing on the desk, on the books and papers spread out.

Back home when she was a child she often found her mother sitting alone in a room. She would disappear for hours at a time leaving her with her father if he was home, or with her ailing grandparents. As a girl, she would ask questions as a thrall to her naivety; keening to her elders 'Why?'. And back home, it was explained in a way so that a child could grasp it. Sometimes, the world wasn't always the way you wanted it to be.

Anonymous

Bernard knocked on the door, pushing it open and peering inside. The sight of his wife, bathed in candle light made him pause, just watching her. She was so strong, fierce and beautiful. Not really in the traditional sense, he was aware of that, but, well, it just didn't matter. Because she was beautiful to him.

He did miss her long hair though. He remembered when she was younger and it was long and he would brush it before bed, the pale, shimmering mass of it heavy in his hand. He smiled a little at that memory, "Am I interrupting?"

Looshi

Eloise brought the wine glass up to her lips and took a greedy sip. It was not the best. But it tasted of home. Her cheeks were a rosy hue from the alcohol, and perhaps the cold. Her blonde hair was strewn across her forehead in a disarray that most don't see it in. When the knock came at the door and the sliver of light poured in, she turned in her chair.

"Never." She said, and smiled at what she could see of Bernard's face peeking through the crack. Eloise's gaze was brief to flick towards what she had laid out on the desk in front of her. Her pen and ink, and papers with her light and airy writing crossed out in dramatic strikes.

Anonymous

Bernard moved over to where she sat, leaning down to lightly kiss her forehead, "You look lovely tonight."

He rather liked that few people ever saw his Eloise like this. He smiled, reaching over and stealing her glass from her fingers, taking a sip, "You do favor this wine, don't you?"

Looshi

Eloise moved her chair, the gentle creek echoing through the study along with Bernard's footfalls. The door was left ajar, the wind touching it whenever a strong breeze took to whistling through the room, it wavered the light coming from the hallway. The brush of her husband's lips and facial hair against her forehead sent shivers from the back of her neck all the way to her toes.

She let the glass slip from her hand to his, and reached up to give his face a stroke with her fingers. "Indeed I do." She said, a laugh catching on her breath. "Though, horse shit is an acquired taste."

Anonymous

"I agree. We have good wine here you know?" Bernard smiled, enjoying the laugh. She was so strong, his Eloise, but she was never anything but feminine, "You know love, you were wasted on me. You should have been a Mordecai."

Looshi

"Oh but I like this one." She said, tapping a finger on the label of the wine bottle. Other wines did not do nights where she wanted to let go any justice. It had a kick, the special kind that stuck in your throat and made you want to vomit.

"What's with this?" Eloise quirked a brow, "hush, you just want too see me in that armour."

Anonymous

"Well, yes? But can you blame me?" Bernard smiled, taking another sip before making a face and passing the glass back, "You would look ravishing in it."

Looshi

Eloise set the glass down on the desk, far enough away from devastating knocks of the elbow. Her eyes followed along with her smile. She gave Bernard a playful slap on the chest. "I do not doubt that. But the chafing! The chafing!"

Anonymous

"See, but, ideally, I wouldn't have you in it long enough for it to chafe. Besides, I wear my armor just fine." He leaned down, kissing her gently, glad to have this moment with her after all the awful things that had been going on.

Looshi

She saw that a mile away!

"You wouldn't have me long in it?" Eloise echoed, a smirk playing on her face, suggesting that Bernard could try. She reached up into the kiss, her arms wrapping around his neck and hands tangling themselves in his greying hair. She held him there, turning the kiss into something more passionate than a simple brush against her lips. Yes, she needed this. Sweet, tangible Bernard.

Anonymous

"Well, that's assuming you'll let me take you out of it." Bernard smiled into the kiss, closing his eyes and wrapping his arms around her. She was so delicate against him, but so strong. He loved the feel of her, her curves pressed against him.

Looshi

The alcohol had calmed her nerves, cooled her head and sated the unrelenting demons clawing at her. For now. There was no true peace with them. When the kiss broke, she slipped her hands from husband's hair to his face. If she licked her lips she would find comfort in being able to still taste him there. Eloise stroked his cheek with her thumb, her grey eyes steeled and unwavering from his own.

"Bernard," she said, "You would tell me if I'm a monster."

Anonymous

"Of course." Bernard smiled at her, shaking his head lightly, not wanting to dislodge her hands from his face, "I'm pretty good at spotting them and I've never seen them in you." He reached a hand up, stroking her soft hair, "I love you."

Looshi

She loosened a hand and waved it in no general direction. "Then tell Weiss that. She looked at me as if I ate babies! Babies, Bernard!"

Anonymous

Aaaaaaand there is went. His wife, Ansgar bless her, had a talent for ruining the romantic mood, "Ah. Yes. That's a much more fun topic to discuss."

He grabbed the wine bottle and took a pull, making a face, "Well, she got rather thoroughly embarrassed and you took away her chance at getting revenge and saving some face. What did you expect love?"

Looshi

Eloise raised an eyebrow, the frown on her painted lips deepening, to Bernard's sarcasm and said nothing. A swift wind blew in, teasing through the fabric at the back of her shirt. The warmth that encompassed her when she pressed herself up to her husband, drained away as she sunk back into her chair. It didn't matter how much wine she drank, or how deep or how many kisses were placed against her lips and skin, Eloise could not shake the echo of voices in the dungeon hours before. And Carwardine's weak and broken form. Shackled.

"Revenge!" She scoffed, "what she wanted was to execute on the basis of no evidence. And if she calls kitchen gossip as evidence so help me...We are not barbarians who toss away rationality, Bernard."

Anonymous

"I know love. You did the right thing. She was just angry, I'm sure." Bernard reached over, stroking her hair, "It...it was not an easy time."

Looshi

"Many terrible things have been done in anger." She included herself, but those were mistakes that burn close to her heart. She didn't count Weiss to feel the same. Eloise gave a drawn out sigh, placing a hand on Bernard's arm. It still wasn't an easy time. Carwardine was sitting in the darkness of their dank dungeons, smelling of rank ordure and fear. She looked up at Bernard, the tired lines under her eyes more visible in the light cast by the flickering candle. "I'm...Sorry."

Anonymous

"Why love? You haven't done anything you need to apologize for." Bernard kissed her forehead and smiled at her. He felt worn out and empty. The last thing in the world he had expected was for Murry to..betray him.

"I'm the one who should apologize. I was blind and made this whole mess possible."