Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Wind's Voices

Started by Haze, December 05, 2011, 12:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haze

Keely Tarija took step after slow step into the Valley, trailing Nevyn on his teather. It was strange to be back, to this place, where so much had started, and where so much had changed. Time had flown. She had aged in more ways than just those showing on her face.  As she passed across the road she caught sight of her face in the puddles that littered the ground. Her face was a little worn, thin and pointed. Grief had blackened the small pockets beneath her eyes, and her skin was a pale, pallid tone of white-wash. She sighed a little, noticing her thick auburn curls - more bedraggled now than bouncing. She sighed softly, shaking her head, and moved on.

"Keels, why are you sad?" Keely started, and looked around at the familiar voice. That calm, deep familiar voice. Of course, the owner was nowhere to be seen.

"I'm just thinking about the last time we were here." Keely lifted her eyes to the horizon, where a copse of trees lay. A memory washed over her. Sunshine and Rain. Laughter. Confessions. A teasing kiss. A tender one.

"We have been here before? When?" The ethereal voice was teasing, and Keely only barely stopped from smiling.

It had been so long ago - years, really.

"Why are you going back? Keely? Why are you doing this? You said it's not good to visit places more than once."

"I know." Tears threatened to well up, "I know But this place is different. This place is special. This is where everything started."

The voice didn't reply. Like the wind, it had disappeared. Keely felt a deep sorrow wrench in her gut.

"Jaycel?" She called, eyes pooling with tears. "Jay? Don't leave me... Jaycel?"

The young woman dropped to her knees, hands wrapping over her stomach, and sobs racked her tiny body. Nevyn nickered gently, touching his nose to Keely's matted curls. The horse wouldn't leave her side.

He was gone. He really was gone.

Lion

The days had brought only aimless wandering and with no place to turn but forward, Theon kept up his travel.  There was no direction these days, no path to show him the way, no one that could decipher the meaning of his seemingly meaningless visions.  But they plagued them and no matter where he went, he could find no rest from the nightmares of the drowning man, of the visions that he was powerless to prevent, and the restlessness that came with it all.

He was drawn to the north, to the cold, and somehow he'd found himself away from the mountains of Serendipity.  The horse he'd found, already middle-aged in its years, and tired, had died days ago at the base of a mountain, falling to it's end.  Theon did not mourn for the animal longer than he had to before Jouzan drew him to continue traveling.  He couldn't help but think in the uselessness of Jouzan, who told him the answer would come in the miles he walked.  What answer, he would ask.  How would he know when he found it?  And who would show him the way?  Jouzan would only caw and say he would know when it came.  How would he know when he didn't even know what to look for in the first place?

Nothing, nothing.  Only the breath of the wind.  It took almost a month to travel over the Kilanthro mountains as the locals called him.  He had no money, almost no food, and the waterskin at his side was growing empty.  Theon used Lohengrin to give him hope, the only thing the sword could provide at this moment, and he meditated for a while when he entered the Sirantil Valley.  Making his way further north, Theon viewed the surroundings about him.  Surroundings that seemed strange in a place like this.

Bones.  Lots of them, littered the grassland.  They were far apart but the further away they got from him, the more they seemed cluttered together.  "A valley of bones," he breathed as if the sight itself was familiar.  Theon stepped closer, the hooded crow taking a perch on his shoulder.  Ahead of him was an opening to a cave, shadowed severely by the falling of evening.  He felt a chill go down his spine and he stopped his trek toward the opening.  Something reached out to him, a chilling boom that deafened his ears and he fell to his knees.  His head began to churn inside itself and he cried out as a nausea hit him like never before.

After a few moments, he regained himself and crawled away, breathless and got as far away from the cave as he could.  "What is wrong?" Jouzan asked.

"I do not...not know," Theon said haggardly.  "Something is not right here."

He kept his eyes on the ground before he turned his head up, hearing something on the wind, something lighter.  People were talking nearby...  Theon could hear a voice on the wind and as his eyes followed a gust, they soon landed on a woman and a horse.  She fell to her knees and he could hear sobs, if only faintly.  He jogged his way nearby, fearing she may be hurt or worse.  "Milady," he said, looking at her with curious violet eyes.  "Milady, are you hurt?  Please don't be hurt."  Theon stopped a few feet away from her.  "You shouldn't be here."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Haze

Milady.. Through the dark haze of grief, Keely heard a voice. For a moment she thought it was the haunting spector of her husband, back to play games with her. Her heart constricted and her face twisted into an expression of absolute sorrow, her body slumping even more destitute. Without raising her head, her voice tore through her throat, yelling and sobbing into the wind. Where moments ago she couldn't bear the thought of being alone, now the thought of being haunted by his voice ruined her. "Go away, Jaycel! Leave me ALONE!"

Then she lifted tear stained eyes to see a man standing very near to her. Without even having to think, Keely had sprung into a defensive stance, the metallic ring of an unsheathed sword slicing the air. Her legs were locked and her shoulders squared. Her amber eyes turned stony cold, and her lips were drawn back into a snarl.

Her eyes flickered behind her, to Nevyn, but the horse stood still, her eternal gaurd. Her gaze fell back cooly to the stranger. The only evidence of sorrow on her face was the silver tracks of tears down her dusty cheeks. She was now a warrior, ready to defend her life. "What do ye want." Keely growled, her accent thickened ignoring his questioning. "Who are ye?"

Lion

Theon took a step back.  Who was Jaycel?  And what did it have to do with him.  But at the sight of a weapon, the amnesiac was immediately on his guard.  Jouzan ruffled his feathers but stayed on Theon's shoulder as he drew his own sword, Lohengrin coming out of it's scabbard in a flash of silver starlight.

"Watch yourself, woman," he warned.  "You don't want to do something you'll regret."  He didn't much care for the thought of fighting a woman.  He'd heard of the women warriors of ages past, knew he must have read about them in books of legend, but he'd never met one before.  Maybe there really was a first for everything.

She demanded to know who he was.  But that was a question he refrained from answering right away.  "I...I ...I don't know," he said, plainly but kept his sword up.  "But my name is...is Theon.  Theon Arand.  I only wanted to see if you were all right.  But you really shouldn't be here.  This place is not safe."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Haze

Keely watched with narrowed eyes as the man drew his own weapon. Her entire body, all five-foot something of it, was tense, a spring coiled and ready to snap at any moment. He said his name was Theon, but he sounded unsure. The bird on his shoulder was a distraction to her.

Still gripping her sword, she stared at the violet-eyed man. She would not be deterred by his proclamation of wanting to check that she was okay. She'd come to grow wary of men like that. Then he said the place wasn't safe. She almost laughed.

"I ken this place well, sir." She called, standing her ground. "Why do ye think it is not safe?" She glanced around her. She certainly didn't see any danger. She couldn't feel any danger. Just what was making this man so uncomfortable?

Lion

Theon began to walk around her, and readjusted the grip on his sword.  He could see how tense she was getting and her size would allow her to move quickly, at a moment's strike.  Where she tensed, he loosened every muscle and joint in his body, and with Lohengrin in his hand he saw her with clarity through his red-violet eyes.

He moved with such grace for a man his size as if he were made out of the essence of water itself.  She didn't seem like she was going to be putting her weapon down any time soon.  Well, if that was the case.  Neither was he.

"Maybe you ken this place," he snapped.  "But you don't feel the danger lurking so close by.  There's something not right about this place.  There's something evil lurking here.  A spirit maybe, I don't know.  But if you value your life, you'll walk away."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

He began to walk around her. Keely followed his movements. He still hadn't put away his weapon, and she certainly wasn't going to do away with hers. He moved gracefully, and her keen eye didn't miss that. She'd trained enough men to know that he knew how to fight, even though he was dubious of who he might be.

"...But if you value your life, you'll walk away."

"Maybe I have, a death wish." She retorted hotly, stepping with each of his. She paused, and thought of Jaycel. The promise she'd made to him. To do things better. With a pained sigh she called. "I will put my sword away if you do." She began to sheath the weapon, still keeping an eye on Theon.

Pulling Nevyn's reigns into her deft fingers, she nodded to the side. "There's a little cave I ken, jist over there. I've got nowhere else to be, right now. I'll wait over there. Happy?" She turned towards the cave that, unbeknownst to her, Theron had just been in, and with a steely set of shoulders she began to walk, nickering softly to the horse.

Lion

Theon stepped back and sheathed his own sword after she put hers away.  But the very fact that she drew on him had him on his toes and he was wary that she would be quick to draw again.  And just when he thought she was going to step away as he'd instructed her too, she began to walk toward the cave.

"NO!  Wait!"  Theon yelled wildly as he dashed toward and launched his body at her in a tackle.  "That's the place!  Don't go in there!  You'll be slaughtered.  Don't you understand what I'm saying!  You shouldn't be here at all.  Get as far away as you can!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Out of nowhere, the man launched himself at her, and Keely was dropped to the ground. She gasped, and her eyes lit ablaze. "Get the HELL OFF ME!" Keely fairly screamed, swinging her arm in a wild punch. She didn't wait to see if it landed or not, but rolled away from the man, scambling to her feet.

"There is nothing evil in that place." She said through gritted teeth, her fingers itching to clasp her sword again.  "Trust me, I ken. We used to come here all th' time. What in all th gods names do ye think yer doing! Idiot. Bloody stupid!" She brushed dirt from her trousers, and continued towards the cave.

"If ye have any sense in ye, ye'd ken that a storms a' brewin, and I dina ken about you,  but I dina fancy sleeping in th' rain!"

Lion

Theon narrowly ducked her strike to his face, just narrowly and could feel there was fire behind it.  He didn't have to get hit to know that.  She moved fast and he rolled off her to let her get up.  Yet still, still, oh gods be damned, she still would not listen to reason.

"You're the fool...  Don't go in there.  That's where it is!"  Theon ran after her again, unworried about storms or water, or sleeping in the rain.  What was a little water to the dangers lurking within the cave.  "Gods don't!"  Theon lunged for her again, and this time pressed all his body-weight on her intending to pin her to the ground.  Permanently if he had to.

"You don't ken!  You don't!  Are you damaged or something!?  What is wrong with you!?"  Theon yelled at her.  They were much closer to the cave now and he was about to yell at her again when a deep voice emerged from the edge of the cave.

"Keely...?  Keely, is that you?  It's me Jaycel."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Keely screamed in fury as yet again Theon pinned her down. This time there was no escaping, and for a moment her mind flashed back to her child self. Pinned against the forest floor, her step-father leering over her. No ... no no no. Belac's gone. He's dead. I killed him. She struggled wildly, hitting her captor on the back with all the strength she could muster.

"Let me go!" She yelled over his angry remarks.

"Keely...? Keely, is that you? It's me Jaycel."

Immediately she stilled. It was him. His voice. Only this time it was even more real than before. Her face paled. "Jay ... Jaycel?" If she wasn't struggling in earnest before, she certainly was now. She craned her neck to bite Theon.

"Jaycel - I'm coming. Wait!" Tears were streaming unbidden down her face, and like a woman possessed she wailed. "Jaycel! Help me!"

Lion

Theon struggled to hold her down.  He didn't much like having to do so, but it was the only way.  The only way to keep her out of that black hole that made him more and more nauseous by the thought of it.  But for the life of her, of them both, if he could keep her out of that cave then perhaps he might find more solace in this aimless world.

But the strange voice made him freeze and he peered upward to look at the entrance of the cave no more than fifty or so paces from them amidst the sea of a valley of bones.  Theon's eye's widened and the chill down his back returned.  And he felt sick inside.  He almost wretched on top of Keely, but he was too stunned to do so and now with her sudden earnestness to be free.  When she sunk her teeth into his cheek, he yelped and let her go; he kneeled off to the side, still staring into the darkness.

A shadow emerged, a shape of a man and it called to her again.  "Keely!  Come back to me, Keely!"

Theon sprang to his feet and followed her.  "Keely, wait!  That's not who you think it is!  Please listen to me!"  But it was all to no avail.  The shadow disappeared from the entrance as they both drew closer to it.  Theon drew Lohengrin and pointed the blade at the entrance.  He pointed it and summoned the energy from within the sword, the energy he felt that both calmed and cleared him, and a blast of light sprung from the tip of the sword striking the stone work of the cave, and making the ground quake.  "It's going to kill you, Keely."  The quaking ceased, but he knew somehow that that wasn't enough to keep Keely from going inside that cave.  He would just have follow her inside, against everything in him that made sense.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Victorious, Keely jumped to her feet, leaving Theon to deal with himself.

She could see him now. His hair, his eyes, his smile - all just the way she remembered. "Keely! Come back to me, Keely!"

"I'm coming... Jaycel, Love!" She continued to rush forward. In her delirium she took no notice of the magic being used around her. She'd only made it another ten paces before Keely stumbled and fell as the ground shook. A crack of thunder boomed over head, and she barely heard what Theron had to say next.

"He's not!" She sobbed, shaking matted curls wildly scrambling back up. "He won't kill me. He loves me. He loves me." Her hands trembled as they clawed in desperation to get her back up and into the waiting arms of her lover. "Jay, I'm coming... wait fer me." She was so close. So so close. She wasn't thinking straight. Of course this cound't be her dead husband. It couldn't be.

She stepped into the entrance of the cave, where Jaycel was standing, arms wide open, ready to envelope her his his warm embrace. Keely could feel the familiar heat of him, his smell, and she willingly stepped into his arms, weeping "Oh my love. Oh Jaycel Why'd ye leave?" as she did so.

Lion

Oh bloody gods, was this girl stupid or was she stupid!  Theon stopped while she plunged into the waiting arms of the shadow.  He watched, but his heart was nearly beating out of his chest.  And his throat was dry from having been yelling.

"Stop her!" Jouzan cawed at him.

Theon didn't hear him, hejust watched as the arms enveloped around her.  Gradually before he watched them turn into monstrous things.  The arms of the shadow turned as large as an apes and grew claws.  The beast, whatever it was had her in it's grasp and he was helpless to prevent it!  The claws drew back slightly before digging them into Keely's back and abruptly dragging her off down into the cave.

"Keely!" Theon screeched hoarsely and at long last, he found the courage to follow her down there.  He slipped at the entrance, and fell into the ten foot drop that plunged down.  The landed with a thud and a clang as he'd dropped Lohengrin.  He grabbed the sword and groaned amid his pain, surprised that he didn't break anything.  "Keely," he called weakly.  "Keely!"  He climbed unsteadily to his feet.  The only choice was to pursue.  One easily followed by the growls of the beast that resided deep within.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

The comfort, the warmth, the love that had cocooned her as she stepped into Jaycel's arms dissappeared, and instead Keely was suddenly aware of torture. Of pain, and of hopelessness.

Nothing unusual, then she thought briefly, before realising that she was truly in danger. She heard her name, and this time she recognised it as Theon's. She didn't have time to think, as the creature carried her deep into the cave. Why had she not listened?

It's claws were digging into her back, but she was dangling. The creature, demon, whatever it was - definitely not Jaycel - didn't have her held as tightly to it's body as it had done earlier, and though she struggled against its swaying, she managed to clasp her sword.

Concentrating hard, she drew her sword, and pulled it hard against any skin it could come into contact with. The creature howled, and it's claws loosened enough. Keely had enough wits about her to cradle herself to land on her feet. Just like a cat, she thought to her self. Just like He'd taught her. With her sword held in one hand, the other on the damp cave floor she shot a look over her shoulder.

The creature was bleeding - that was a bonus, that it was at least partially physical. Looking forward then, she sprang into a sprint. She could see a figure ahead. "Theon!" She called, "Theon! Run!"

Just then, a clawed hand reaching out and caught her foot. Keely fell hard, thrusting out her hands out to break her fall. She screamed as talons ripped into her ankle, but she twisted around, hacking at the claw. "Run!" She yelled again. Hoping that Theon would listen to her, in the way she didn't listen to him.

Lion

He staggered to his feet and he held Lohengrin with both hands.  His vision cleared in time for him to see a figure running toward him, something telling him to run.  "NO!" he yelled back, though it was clear it was a fool's choice to refuse to do so.  "Not without you!"

Theon dashed forth after her and amidst her cries of pain.  The creature dragged her quickly, almost faster than he could run and the path took another dip, lowering down toward a large pit beneath them both.  With darkness around them, it was difficult to make out whether or not the pit was fatal to fall into or would simply maim them.

Theon didn't care though and jumped for her when he was close enough, grabbing her wrist as the creature was strong enough to drag them both down into the pit.  And it did and Theon once again felt that weightlessness he'd remembered feeling in the mountains so long ago.  But he clung to Keely regardless and tried to twist so that he landed first, gripping her arm with one hand and Lohengrin with the other.

Somewhere in the drop, he felt a weight leave them as if the creature had let go of her in the middle of the drop.  Before he could say anything about it, Theon felt his body crash down into a large pool of water instead of stone like he'd expected.  Now they were far beneath ground, too far to simply try and climb back up.  And as he resurfaced, in the distance he heard the scratching of claws in a tunnel far off and it's cries of pain where Keely's blade had cut through it.  And it was only in that instant that Theon registered that he was at last in deep water.   He began to panic and he struggled to stay surfaced.  "Help me!  Oh gods, help me.  I can't, I can't swim!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

It all happened so fast. One moment, she was being dragged by the creature. Dragged down, down she didn't know where. The next, large hands were wrapped around her wrist. She was thankful for the steadying grip, and curled her hand around to grip him just as hard and especially so as they hit water.

The impact forced the breath out of her, and in the depths she thought this is it. This is how I die. Not in battle. Not as an old woman with Jay at my side. I'm going to drown.

Somewhere in the time they'd hit the icy underground lake, she'd lost her grip on Theon, and he on her. Resurfacing with splutter she panicked for a moment, but the reassuring feel of her beloved sword was still in her hand. Of course she wouldn't have dropped that.

"Help me! Oh gods, help me. I can't, I can't swim!"

Keely wheeled around in the water, to where Theon was thrashing about. In any other situation she would have rolled her eyes at a fully grown man who couldn't swim. Everyone could swim. This time though, she simply set her brow, and pushed her self off. "Calm down!" She yelled, gasping as her breath came back to her. "If ye keep thrashing about, ye'll drown fer sure. Stay calm ye eejit!" Her strong arms had her to the man within seconds. She deftly positioned herself behind him, using the arm that didn't hold her weapon to wrap around his chest. "Right, " She said, her voice commanding, "I've got ye. Now, I'm going t' kick us to th' side. But I need ye to help me, y'ken? Kick your feet." She pulled his weight through the water, hoping to all the gods that he wouldn't pull her down in his panic.,

Lion

Theon was clutched in absolute terror and he only thought of the drowning man in his dreams, of the man that struggled underneath the weight of roiling sea waves and of the clutch of dark water that seemed to drag him deeper and deeper into the deadly depths.  He didn't know how far below the water went and he sure as hell didn't want to know!

"Oh gods!" he yelled again as he suddenly went under.  Something wrapped around his waist and he struggled against it.  That was until he heard her voice when his head surfaced once more and he gasped for breath.  His heart was still racing like there was no tomorrow but as least he was steadied now.  With one arm he wrapped it around Keely's shoulders and the other firmly gripped on Lohengrin, whose energy attempted to calm him down.  It worked for a moment and he breathed easier.  Only for a short time.

"Kick?  Kick, right." He gasped for breath as he did kick his feet, kicked with all his might, and someone awkwardly, feeling his legs collide with hers as she took them to the side finally.  When the ledge was in reach he leg to of her and lunged for it, pulling him up quickly and laying on the surface of the cave ground in exhausted, heavy breaths.  "Oh gods, oh gods," he breathed to himself amidst closed eyes.  "Oh gods....."  He was trembling, somewhere between fear and shivering from the cold water.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Keely swore as he kicked her, shaking her head at his phobia. He was a right girls blouse. No wonder he'd not wanted to go into the cave. As they heaved themselves onto the ledge, Keely flopped onto her back, lying beside Theon. She breathed sharply in through her nose, exhaling through pursed lips as she steadied her beating heart.

She held up her sword, and eyed it cautiously, making sure there'd been no damage done, and sheathed it with a shrill, wet ring. Suddenly, her mind was drawn back to her faithful steed. "Nevyn!" She sat up, fretfully shaking her head. "Oh no... no no no no..." She pushed a hand hand through her mass of sodden curls, then let it drop with a sigh. "Are ye alright, Theon?" She asked, leaning over to give him a gentle nudge. "Ye aren't hurt, are ye?"

Lion

Slowly but surely he did calm down and he coughed to make sure there wasn't any water in his lungs.  He spat to the side away from her and sat up, and scooted further away from the pool of water.  He resheathed Lohengrin and looked at her with wide exasperated eyes.  "I.  Am.  ALIVE!" he stared at her like a crazy man, which may not have been a far shot at all.

"You.  Are.  Insane," he said after a while and he brushed a hand through his black hair.  "What were you thinking going into the cave like that!?  Don't you know how to listen, woman?  That think was going to kill you!  Eat you alive!  What in the world made you think it was your 'love'?  Who is Jaycel and why is he so important that you would run to your death!?"

Theon didn't know who the man was, or why he could possibly be so important but he truly believed that what'd she'd done was only a fools decision.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn