Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Wind's Voices

Started by Haze, December 05, 2011, 12:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haze

It was silly the way she had to stifle a little gasp from the warm tingling his lips left behind, but she smiled through it, returning the sentiment just as lightly. "Mmm... ye dinna have to move just yet. Stay a bit, aye?"

Keely paused for a moment at the feel of his fingers along her scars. This touching was not something she'd allowed even Jaycel to take liberties with; he'd been the one to find her after her fight with Belac, he'd tended to her wound, catching her before she'd bled out her life's force into the earth. She'd felt self-conscious about it, and the many that littered her skin - the physical embodiment of her weaknesses - that she'd never allowed Jay to touch them purposefully. Yet now she felt no qualms about Theon's actions. Perhaps because he had helped her to begin realising that there was nothing to be ashamed of.

"Many of them, aye. The long one though, from shoulder to elbow?" She twisted her head to look at it, remembering, "that one is from Belac, just before I killed him. I was eighteen, had just been made captain of a small group of soldiers, when he came after me. We fought out here, in the Valley. I went, ready to die, and willing to - so long as I took him down with me." She gave a quiet breathy laugh, and kissed Theon's shoulder. "I nearly did too, die, that is. 'Twas the closest I've come to it, besides when ye stabbed me in the gut.

"Back then I didn't think I had a right to live, except to right the wrongs he'd done me and my Mam. Has been a reoccurring theme, aye?"

Lion

It was a sad thing to see that she had to have scars to begin with.  She was still such a young woman, she had lots of life left in her, lots of time spend in despair and happiness and everything in between the two.  Theon found it difficult to believe that someone so young could have lived so much life in the sheer brevity of her years.  But he couldn't deny it; the truth was right there before him, in the story of her scars, in the way they were etched in her skin and the way she spoke about them.  Theon began to understand then a little more why she was the way she was.

"Revenge...I think is always a recurring theme.  Once all wrongs have been righted, what's left to live for?  Nothing until everything's been destroyed and there's nothing to reap but death from what has been sewn."  Theon tried to smile, but the mood was made somber and he felt his chest begin to hurt a little the longer he laid on her.  He rolled off, laid to the side in the soil.

"What sort of wrongs did he commit against you?" he asked, curious.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Haze

She hadn't really been thinking about revenge; her mind had been cast more along the lines of the theme of her near death experiences. Just since they'd been together, she'd been almost killed by Jazrael, then stabbed by Theon, and then nearly burnt alive at the stake. Still, what he said had a ring of truth to it, and she considered that particular theme in her head while Theon moved from her, leaving a ripple of goose-bumps to spread across her skin with the warmth of him gone.

Belac had killed her father out of revenge, while the official story was that her Da had fallen in battle; She had killed Belac out of revenge for the wrongs he'd done to her and her mother. Jazrael acted out of revenge, the mages had too. He was right - until life ceased on earth, revenge would be a tangible presence, tainting the good, and achieving no purpose.  

His question rested heavily in the pit of her stomach. After their intimacy, there was hardly anything that she could hide from him now, but it still made her uneasy, hollow, just thinking about it. Her hands folded over her stomach, and her eyes fixed ahead. She'd tell him, but she wouldn't look at him while she did so.

"Belac killed my father. He was supposed to be his best friend, and yet he murdered him in cold blood. He married Mam then, but he was a fiend with his fists, aye? One day, I was ten, I tried to hurt him, to stop him from hurting my mother. She was pregnant, and sick, and yet he didna care. I hit him over the head, and he was already stinking drunk, and he fell like a felled horse.

"Mam took me then, set me off into the forest, and told me to run, to escape. And I tried, but there's no a lot of places for a ten year old bairn to run to, y'ken?" She sighed here, and closed her eyes, reliving those few days she hid in the forest. "I was hungry, tired and scared, had nowhere to go. And he found me. Found me, took me as a man takes a woman, and then left me for dead.

"I didna die though, of course. I'm here now. But I think that was when I first died inside." Keely turned her head then, the deep seated pain of that time years ago resting in her amber eyes, gone cold now compared to the molten gold of just minutes before. "I heard later on, much later, that Mam had twins, girls, and then fell pregnant again, and died in childbirth. My half-sisters were only two years old, and without a mother, they died. He bought so much death into my family. I could hardy forgive him when I saw him coming to finished wiping out my father's family. So I made sure there was an end to his, instead."

With a wry, sad smile and shrugged, and lifted a hand from her bare belly, and laid it gently over Theon. "If ye thought I was bad when we first me, I can tell ye, ye'd have never stayed with me back then."

Lion

Theon listened with quiet solemnity, fearing that even the sound of his breathing might interrupt her tale.  Some things didn't quite match up, but he had no place to tell her to stop or to clarify unless absolutely necessary.  In the aftermath of their passions, Theon felt himself grow lazy and his leg throbbed in a dull, steady, unpleasant ache and he moonlighted in focus between Keely's story and the pain.

His face frowned at the thought of her having everything slaughtered, taken away from her until she stood simply alone.  He looked sadder than she was and searched her face with his eyes for some unknown sign.  But he couldn't find what he was looking for.  He had a feeling she wouldn't like what he had to say, but he had to try.

"Have you...ever thought about forgiving him now?" he said tentatively.  "I mean...I see the way you walk: like you have the world on your shoulders.  I know some of the weight has been lifted from Jaycel...but still I think you carry the crimes Belac committed against you...  The way you walk...so  heavy.  Sometimes I wonder how you breathe.  He's dead, but he still hurts you in your mind...  Let go."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Haze

Keely inhaled sharply, strongly enough for the crisp air to sting her nose and nettle down her airways. Her head turned skywards again, and her eyes closed slowly, shutting out everything but the sound of her slow exhale, and the quiet breathing beside her. How she could breathe, indeed. It used to be that everyday she faced as a battle, using her past, her wounds, as an armor.

"It should be that simple," she said softly, lips barely moving to let the words past. "I thought that killing him would set me free of him, but he hangs over me like a rot." Her hand lifted from Theon, and draped over her head, covering her eyes. "Ye dinna ken how much I hate him, even though he's gone. I was ten, Theon. What person in sound mind does those kinds of things to a bairn?"

She stopped before she could get worked up, feeling something come unhinged in her chest. She bit down on her lip, hard enough to taste blood. "Letting go of Jay was different. I loved him. I could set his memory free. But how do ye forgive a man who stole yer innocence, killed everything ye loved?" She rolled over onto her side to face Theon, letting her arm fall away, revealing a face streaked with silent tears that had begun to steal down her cheeks. "I just dinna see how I can do that. Not yet."

Lion

Theon watched with sorrowful eyes and he steeled himself for the hammer of words he figured he would receive.  But he was partly surprised to find her tone soft and words simply explanatory.  And yet he felt his point had been lost on her.  She was wrong, so wrong.  He did understand, more than she knew.  He couldn't have any basis of experience to fall back on, but he could quickly see that the hearts of men were stubborn ones.  It was easier to wallow in pain than to walk from it.

"I never said it would be simple," Theon said just as softly as she.  He reached a hand up to stroke away her tears.  "It's not supposed to be.  How do you think I feel having nothing to truly call my own?  I have my weight as well, and my shoulders aren't as strong as yours."  He wiped away her tears, as much as he could, but didn't hold her even though he wanted to.

"Maybe..." he tried again.  "Maybe it's not about it being easy.  You know nothing worth doing is easy.  But you should know that he can't hurt you anymore.  You're stronger than him, stronger because you're you.  You don't need him to spur you on anymore.  The fire that you have...you burn because you forged it yourself."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Keely lay in silence a little longer, not even bothering to stop Theon from brushing away the tears, nor trying to stop the few more that leaked past her lashes. His words settled on her gently, and as always, when he spoke in moments like these, they made sense. Except that from where she was standing (or lying) his shoulders were just as strong, if not stronger, to be able to see her, her flaws, her pain, and see her through it, even while facing his own uphill struggles.

She turned her head slightly as her hand lifted to rest on Theon's. "I know he can't. It's like so many things I'm coming to realise though, Theon, if I dinna work my way through it, I may not ever have the chance to be happy, like I have been with ye." She gave him a weak smile.

"I'll help ye, ye ken. I'll do whatever I can to help ye find out who ye are. Ye've born the brunt of so many of my problems - I'd like it if ye'd let me be with ye when ye face yers."

Lion

Theon smiled at her.  A genuine grin that at last he'd said and done something that had been helpful to her.  He knew it couldn't be easy for her, but truly, he could only imagine the kind of turmoil she'd been through, no matter how much he tried to relate, he knew he could never truly do so.  He could only try to understand her, and he did the best with what she gave him.  All he wanted was to help her become stronger for herself, and he was starting to see that he'd done that.

But his smile faded when she offered to help him with his own problems.  "I-I don't know, Keely," he said.  "I don't even know if you could.  My problem...I don't even know where to start.  I don't think there would be much for you to do."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Keely propped herself up onto her elbow with a little frown. "Ye dinna have to ken where to start. I didna. And I would have never accepted yer help if ye had offered."  She knew the  words she spoke was the truth, the small little ball of warmth in her stomach the testament to the extent to which she felt freed. "But ye just stayed with me, though I gave ye plenty of reason to leave... and I'd like to just be there fer ye too."

She finished with a smile, dropping a kiss to his forehead, and settled back down beside him contentedly, and with a little teasing in her voice.  "Unless by saying that ye mean to say ye dinna want me to come? To be with ye?" But the moment she said the words, a nagging voice began to tell her that there was more truth to the words than jest.

Lion

She displayed wisdom on her words.  That much he couldn't deny.  Still, his mind argued that the problem was not quite of the same caliber.  She'd been buried in grief and had the choice to stay buried in it or to climb out and survive.  He couldn't bear to see her suffer, especially when she didn't have to, especially when there was so much for her to live for even if she didn't see it.  But he...he'd started with nothing, had nothing.  He was swimming around in that void since the moment he arrived in this strange and dangerous land.  He could not question fate for having affording him this lot, for the questions would only meld away into futility without answers.

He nearly cried at the thought that she wanted to help him, to stay with him to see where they might go.  But inside he knew it wasn't a journey for her to make, and knew then that the future had the knife like potential to tear them apart.  For someone who had nothing, he found himself with the first substance of something that resembled an answer, but he did not know what to make of it.  All he could do was crawl forward and wrap his arms around her and kiss her fiercely on the cheek.

"I'm tired," he said, refusing to answer to question.  He turned his back to her, laying on his side and used a hand to surreptitiously remove the moisture that built up in his tear ducts.  "Let's try to get some sleep," he murmured.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn