Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Colourful Splendor

Started by Ramon, December 22, 2011, 06:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramon

Morcant stood under the vine-covered archway to the temple of Han'vash, God of Creation and Destruction. It was a small temple compared to many of those throughout the rest of the city, but he thought it honoured the god well enough. While the day had dawned with a faint film of cloud covering the sun, one of the god had granted his prayers and cleared them away, resulting in a sunny and warm day. Perfect for painting, or so he hoped Despite the summer heat, the priest was dressed in his familiar layers of bright robes, the outermost one bearing a brilliant design of green vines and purple flowers on a yellow background. Eye-catching for sure, and he wasn't even being painted. No, the artist soon arriving would have other glorious things to pain besides a mere servant of the god.

Adjusting his mask one final time, Morcant strolled out from the cool shade into the bustling sun-filled street. The city was a big place, and he so hoped the artist wouldn't get lost. If they had stopped to ask directions, they would surely have been told about the brightly-garbed priests of the temple, so it was better to be visible than wait in the shadows. Stepping towards a nearby stall, the man glanced over the wares, murmuring a blessing to the respectful vendor while keeping one eye on the street. The artist shouldn't be too long in arriving, else the priest might have to send an acolyte to hunt for them.

Anonymous

Jovan had carefully packed his supplies, though the stand was always clumsy, no matter what. There just wasn't an easy way to carry it and he had long ago given up just hoping there was something he could rest the canvas on, because there never was.

It was bright out, something he disliked. He had started out perfect, but the clouds had burned away, leaving the sun vivid and merciless. He just hoped there would be shade. And it was always an extra challenge to paint with his dark glasses on.

Clutching the stand and weaving awkwardly through the crowd, Jovan spotted the brightly colored priest that had hired him. He put on his best professional smile and approached, "Ah! Hello! I hope I'm not late!"

Ramon

Morcant spotted the artist seconds before he himself was hailed, straightening up from the stand and quickly moving into the street to greet the young man. "Good day. Late? No, not at all." he replied easily, casting a glance the sun. Well, he was a little late, but that was to be expected from someone unfamiliar with the city. "May I carry that for you?" he asked politely, holding out a hand for the stand. The artist appeared to be struggling with it, and there were some tricky stairs that might prove to be difficult to navigate with such a bulky thing.

Whether or not his offer was accepted, Morcant turned towards the temple. "Follow me, please." he said, stepping briskly towards the archway that marked the start of holy grounds. The townsfolk cleared a path for him and his guest, and moment later they had passed under the stone arch and had were under the cool shade of trees that lined the cobbled path from the arch to the temple steps. "How was your trip? I hope it was pleasant." The stone steps were mounted, and the priest held open the door for the artist as he entered.

"Ah, I suppose I should introduce myself...I am Morcant Teine, priest of and servant to Han'vash. Welcome to his temple." Morcant said, placing his hand over his heart and bowing slightly.

Anonymous

Jovan was impressed and thrilled. Religions were always good to work for, their followers spread the word of artists skills very well. Letting Morcant take the stand, he was glad when they reached the shade. The sun was harsh on his eyes and a break from its glare was welcom.

"It was an easy trip, thank you!" Jovan quickly bowed in return, smiling, "I'm Jovan Hase. Uh, though, you probably already know that. It's a beautiful temple! Where did you want to set up? And what exactly did you have in mind for this painting?"

Ramon

The artist may be young, but Morcant had heard good things about his work, and that gave him hope that a beautiful painting would help draw more followers to Han'vash, or at least spread the word about his god. "Good to hear that, Jovan." he replied, struggling to make small talk with the artist. Luckily, the topic quickly shifted to business, and that allowed him to speak more freely. "That all depends on what you want to paint - the statue of Han'vash the Destroyer which stands inside the temple itself, or the statue of Han'vash the Creator which sits in the garden out back. Both are wonderful works of art that ought to be seen by more than the priests here and the occasional visitor. I am sure that whatever you choose to paint, Han'vash will be pleased."

Morcant paused to take a breath, aware that he was slipping into his bad habit of chattering on about his religion. Jovan probably wasn't interested about that, so he skipped to the essentials. "Both locations have adequate lighting, and the garden has trees for shade, or an awning can be set up if you wish. Refreshments and other supplies will be provided if you need them." he finished with a faint bow, the fabric of his robes rustling at the movement.

Anonymous

"Well, I can't say I know much about the, er, aspects." Jovan wasn't really one for religion and he had never heard of this one before, "But I'm more inclined to want to paint the Creator. Never been one for death and darkness and all that."

He smiled, "Is there some text or mural or the like I could use to become familiar with the story of your God? So I can add those details into my work."