Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Work Wanted

Started by stelmarisa, January 28, 2012, 09:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stelmarisa

She rolled her eyes, commiserating. "I know what you mean - that kind of life seems a long way off to me, too." Pausing only briefly, she continued. "As soon as I came of age, my grandmother started trying to interfere with my love life." She laughed, remembering her grandmother fondly. "She was forever trying to persuade my parents to arrange my marriage to every young man that moved to the village."

She grinned. "Of course, she never got her way."

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver nodded, showing he was listening to what she was saying. It was nice to talk to someone who could sympathize with him on that subject. It was rather rare, really, to meet someone else who hadn't had a relationship in the past.

He chuckled. "Ahaha, every one, huh? Meanwhile, my brother kept me away from women like nothing else. He said to me," he changed his voice into a mocking, low tone, "'Oliver, how many times have I told you not to be getting close with women? One day you'll fall in love and we'll have to leave and you'll come crying after me and wanting to bring her along!'". He grinned.

stelmarisa

She laughed at his impression, easily imagining one of her own brothers having similar interactions. "Yeah, that was my grandmother for you. She just wanted to see me settled, I suppose, as the eldest."

"I suppose it would make it more difficult for you, having a travelling lifestyle?" She asked curiously.

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver continued to grin, eyes sparkling with amusement. He had never known a mother or father, or any grandparents of his own. He could only wonder what it was like to have conversations with them.

"Well, yes, really. I couldn't really make much more than acquaintances, going from place to place so often. Sometimes we had other people traveling with us, but never a girl."

stelmarisa

"wow..." She trailed off, wonderingly. "Sorry, it's just that that life sounds so... different from anything I've ever known. It sounds like such a fascinating way to live." She couldn't help feeling a little jealous, even, of the experiences he must have had.

"Are you settled here now, or are you planning to take off again soon?"

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver shrugged. "It does have its upsides. It is very great to see all the different landscapes the world has to offer, and especially being able to fly."

"I'm planning to stay for a month or so, perhaps a bit less or more, then I'll be going. At this point I'm not really sure what I'm traveling for."

stelmarisa

"I guess you don't get too attached to places - or people then, huh?" Erren cocked her head to one side, thinking about the realities of Oliver's lifestyle. Maybe it wasn't so attractive after all - she liked the idea of putting down roots, and creating a home.

"Do you know where you'll go?"

CastlesInTheSky

"Well...sometimes I get plenty attached to someone or something, but then I have to leave, for one reason or another." He straightened up a pile of items he had made.

"Not really. I don't usually know where I'll go or what I'll end up doing there. Well, you know...I guess I'm searching for a place I could call home...though that sounds really cliche, you understand, right? A place that I love to be at so much that I don't want to travel anymore." He shrugged again.

stelmarisa

She nodded, solemn. "I completely understand. I suppose... what you call 'home' can change every so often as well." She sighed slightly, feeling a little disheartened as she thought of Connlaoth. "Like me, I'm looking for a new place to call home - now that I've left, the farm doesn't really feel like my home any more."

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver nodded, glancing at her. "I see. Even though traveling is nice in its own right, not having a place to go back to once you want to finally set down is sort of disheartening sometimes. However, I am confident that both you and I will find our way to a place we feel at home at, and that other travelers will, too."

stelmarisa

Erren smiled, appreciating his sentiment. "You know, I think you're right. I think everyone has somewhere they're supposed to be... you just have to find it."

She thought for a moment, considering what she'd just said. "I'm not sure my own travels are over. I may keep moving - where to, I don't know, though."

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver smiled at her comment, nodding. He was glad she agreed with him.

"That's usually how it works. You travel here and there, but sometimes you don't know exactly where you're going." He opened a particularly peculiar- shaped package to check is contents, and sorted it accordingly in its own pile.

stelmarisa

"It's a littel frightening," she agreed, lightheartedly.

Pulling the paper off her last package, she examined it for a moment, then placed it on a pile of similar looking items - a pile that was very roughly organised, as she hadn't admitted that she didn't know what a lot of these items were. She sighed and stretched, looking around the room at the discarded wrapping and their respective piles of... stuff.

"Is that all of the unwrapping done?"

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver agreed with her. It was a bit frightening. Not knowing where to or where from. This was especially so sometimes because he didn't have anyone to go to if things went awry.

He nodded. "Yeah, it's done. Finally."

stelmarisa

"Great." She smiled and stood up, stretching properly. She glanced through the window - the sun was properly up now, warming the streets outside.

"Shall we have a break before we carry on?"

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver looked through the window as well as he too stood up. It looked like a beautiful day, sun shining bright and people milling about.

"Sure." He stretched and smiled. "Would you like to see the beach with me while we're out and about, or do you have other business here?"

stelmarisa

"The beach, that's a great idea." Erren smiled, nodding. "It looks like a lovely day to see the coast as well."

She led the way out of the shop and onto the street, blinking in the sudden sunlight. "Do you want to go straight there?"

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver smiled. "Great! It is excellent weather for a walk."

It took a moment for him to adjust to the light outside, as it was in sharp contrast to the dimly lit shop.

"Sure."

They walked in the pleasant weather to the beach. It was a bit on the warm side, maybe but still very nice.

stelmarisa

Erren was hot by the time they reached the beach, as yet unused to the warmer climate of Serendipity. "Phew," she exhaled as the streets turned to beach, gazing up and down the long stretch of white sand.

"Isn't it beautiful?"

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver was used to the warm climate by now, but he had to admit that it was especially hot on the coast. Fortunately, there was a gentle breeze that made it a bit cooler.

As they eventually found their way to the beach, he couldn't help but stare. The expanse of water was larger than anything, endless. He put a hand up to shield his eyes from the sun, squinting.

"That's amazing. It is beautiful, and the largest thing I've ever seen!" He stepped forward, mesmerized. His feet sunk into the sand, but he wasn't concerned.