Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In the Shadow, In the Light (M)

Started by Lion, March 16, 2012, 03:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Jerec was working to spot her though the foliage but he was ashamed to admit he was having a hard time doing so.  He grunted in frustration until he yelped as something bashed him in the head.  "Ouch!"  And suddenly felt a rain of those hard projectiles down on his head.  He used his body to shield the eggs he cradled, but those damn nuts – he opened his eyes to see them littered around him – hurt like hell!

He frowned and grimaced at the girl as she dropped from the tree with ease.  He'd have to remember to turn into a girl the next time he wanted to climb a tree: he was far too big and heavy to make as graceful a landing as she did.  Getting over his envy, Jerec said nothing at all during her verbal fumbling until she snatched up her clothes and saw the shame in her eyes.  He chewed on his lip before setting down the eggs he'd found on the ground and taking his own trousers.  He turned them inside out then proceeded to knot the legholes before taking the nuts off the ground one by one and filling the pants until every last nut was picked up.

When it was, Jerec smiled at her and put a hand on her shoulder.  It was tough for him even to do that.  But he had a feeling that they would have to start getting along at some point if they were going to survive.  And would he really want to spend his energy getting mad at her for dropping tree nuts on him?  He didn't think so.  "I get it.  It's okay.  But those damn things hurt pretty bad," he smiled.  "Let's just get our naked butts back to the den.  You need your feathers bad, don't you?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

GoblinFae

Surprise and confusion shone in her eyes as she watched Jerec collect the food she had dropped. 'He wants it? Does this mean I was doing a good thing? Is he going to chuck them at my head in return?' The smile and then the quick embrace left her squeaking and frozen in shock.

At his direction though she was scampering back into motion. Clutching the eggs close, Ariel kept a half-step behind at his side so that she could follow while still staying close. She did not want to upset him again, he was scary enough without smiling.

Curious child's eyes looked up at him innocently and without cheek. "Because I'm Owlet," she finally said by way of explanation. Clarifying further she added, "I'm the little owl." Thin shoulders shrugged as the den came insight at last.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Lion

Perhaps he assumed too much.  It wouldn't be unusual for him to misunderstand her, but she seemed so timid since she broke through her delirium, like she was afraid of him.  This was where he was at a loss.  Here, he thought she was fearless.  And perhaps she was in the right situations.  She certainly could have taken care of herself around those hunters.  She fought like an animal.  But though he had no intention to threaten her or to treat her as a threat, she seemed demure, child-like, innocent, and fearful of retaliation.  He just didn't understand.

Ought he strive to be more patient?  To show her that she had nothing to fear from him as long as they were working together?  Jerec felt no need to put her in her place; he'd already done that back at the cage, and here his natural instincts to maintain order through domination were backfiring on him.  It was clear he would have to work to understand her better, and certainly moreso if they were to survive the conditions life had currently placed them in.  He hated the thought of it, but he had a feeling that compassion would get him better results than ferocity had.  She might have acted like an animal, but that human sense underneath began to draw out the humanity in him, and he hated her for that.  But if it was the only way to get her to trust him without fear, then it might be worth it in the end.

"Owlet," Jerec repeated after her as he crawled into the den.  "That's what I don't understand," he continued.  "That can't possibly be your real name.  I mean you look nothing like an an owl....wait, I see now.  That's where the feathers come in.  Hm.  But the question still stands: How did you get a name like that?  What is your real name? ....And furthermore...where did you come from?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

GoblinFae

The moment she was in the cave, Ariel secured the eggs in a safe place and reclaimed her "owl fluff" feathers. The more feral confidence she had displayed in the cage seemed to return with it. She stood up straighter and prouder as she moved to take Jerec's discarded shirt and claim it as her own until her own clothes dried.

"My name is Owlet," she insisted sternly. A dark look of anger skated across her face at his questioning. "Doesn't matter where I'm from; the forest is my home now." Ariel shook her head slightly like an irritated dog make the feathers and beads sway and click.

She moved to sit on the cold stone floor before the died-out fire which she worked at bringing back to life. Yet no matter how hard she tried she could not get it to light. A frustrated sigh escaped her but she refrained from throwing a fit. Out of habit her hand started to move to the ash so that she could "repaint" her face. The fact that she had just bathed and was trying to be clean because her companion wanted her to seemed to have slipped her mind as if focused on images of the past.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Lion

Oh, so there it was.  The cold shoulder.  He could see this was not going to be an easy task.  Thankfully, Jerec was never one to give up so easily, though he remembered why he'd treated her so harshly in the first place, thanks to her attitude.  He wouldn't be deterred.  He slinked down beside her and gave a dissatisfied grunt.

"Are you sure you don't have a real name?" he tried again, but before he could wait for an answer he saw her go for the ashes and he flew at her, gripping her wrist to prevent her from getting them.  "Oh, no!  You just bathed!  What's the matter with you?  Don't you know how to stay clean?  That's how you prevent a smell.  And maybe you can't smell you, but I sure can and you don't smell half as foul now as you did yesterday!  Why must you feel the need to be filthy?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

"I'm quite sure that whatever vile human name I once held is long since forgotten. My name is Owlet. It is the only name I know." With an exasperated growl she yanked her arm away from him. "You and your obsessive cleanliness. A little dirt never killed anyone. It's saved my life more times than I count."

A snorting huff escaped her nose as Ariel shook her head and took the "basket" of nuts away from him. Using a rock and her hands she began the task of breaking them open and pulling the meat out of their thick husks. "Why do you want to know about me so badly? I've lived on my own for nearly as long as I can remember. I don't know how long its been, how many years have passed. But, I like my peace and my freedom, both of which were threatened when those hunters started stealing my game. Until they're gone, you and I are in this together. That doesn't mean you need to know me. I am not threat to you, I would never win in anything except tree climbing and a lot of good that would do me the minute you drive me out them. I have far too many weaknesses and too few strengths to need to actually root out more."

Her hands worked at preparing the food more aggressively than was necessary, causing minor scrapes and abrasions on her knuckles from coming in rough contact with the stone floor. 'Stupid man! No matter what he says he is just like a human. Always prying, always insisting that he knows better. I am Owlet, nothing more.' Yet, despite her thoughts she could hear a softly murmured "Ariel" echo in the back of her mind. 'That girl is dead. Only Owlet remains.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

Jerec was at a loss.  He didn't know what to say.  All he could do was sigh and he saw there silently for a long time as she angrily broke those nuts.  He had half a mind cover his own self up with the way she was smashing them, but he didn't and only stared at her.  After a few steeling breaths, Jerec found the gumption to kneel closer to her and put a hand on hers.  It wasn't like him to reach out, he knew it wasn't, but he needed for her to trust him.

"Those nuts aren't a threat to you either," he said before pulling her hand away.  He took the trousers he made as a sack and dumped the rest out.  "I only want to know because I know for a fact that normal people just don't suddenly pop up from the roots of a tree to live out here in the wilderness.  They come from towns, cities, villages.  Usually they stick to the life of hunters, taking from the wild what they can use and never once thanking for such things.  But you are like me, you were raised here, in the Wild.  You know how to respect it.

"I want to know because I think we have more in common than we know.  And maybe what we could learn from each other would be more to our advantage than not.  Like for instance, as you saw, I'm not so good at climbing trees.  I have some advantages for it, but you're much better at it than I could ever be.  Maybe you could show me how you climb.  And maybe I can teach you a few things too."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

The touch was unexpected and made her heart squeeze tight within her chest. She inhaled sharply and watched the path of the hand as it drew hers away from what she had been doing. 'He wants to talk. He will just abandon and reject me in the end. There must be a point of separation at some point. When that comes he will just leave me like everyone else. No! Don't think about it Ariel!'

She froze as she mentally slipped and called herself by her given name. 'Ariel, how I had nearly forgotten that name. The name he so desperately seeks I desire to bury.' Clear, pale eyes turned to stare at him, judging him in that long pause. "I was very young when I left that world, I hardly remember it anymore. Doesn't matter anyway, this is my home now."

Ariel rose slowly from the floor and moved over to get the eggs. Even she did not know what the thoughts running through her head at that moment were. One by one she collected them and brought them over to him. Yet, as she moved to hand him the second one, she found her mouth moving of its own accord. "Ariel," she finally spoke aloud, shocking herself at her self-betrayal.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

If he could describe the torment he saw from her decision to tell him a simple thing as her name, he might have called it a flooding river, quickly threatening to break away from its channel and down and flood all that came across it.  But he had to marvel at her self control, and the difficulty it must have been to provide an answer at all.

And in his serenity, he finally noticed something he hadn't before, blinded by anger and irritation.  For she had the most beautiful eyes of blue.  They reminded him of water in winter, cold, but not without its purity.  Untampered with, untouched, true to the very heart. They were such a stark contrast to his own iron-grey eyes, rather unremarkable eyes he felt he bore.  But even in the darkness of the cave, he could make out how her eyes show like blue crystals in the shade.  Jerec seemed mesmerized for that long moment, though he was not a person often taken with shiny things.

Of course, he snapped out of it when she turned away and mentally-slapped himself for finding nothing to say in return.  As she reached for the eggs, handing him his, there was yet another surprise.  He took his offered egg slowly, but offered her a toothy satisfied grin.  He knew she couldn't only hold out for so long.

"That's a nice name," he commented.  "It suits you.  But I get the feeling that you'll still want me to call you Owlet, and I shall if that is what you want.  You know, you can't run from your past.  Everything that happens to you, now or then, makes you who you are.  And you should take advantage of it.  Just thought you should know."

With that Jerec, carefully extended one claw and pierced a tiny hole into the egg, big enough to fit his finger though and proceeded to drink the yolk out from the hole.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

Ariel opened her mouth to protest then slowly shut it, choosing to keep quiet on the matter. "Thank you," she whispered out, staring at the egg in her hands instead of at him. Her fingers took in the pebbly surface of the shell as the gears of her mind slowly turned with thoughts.

"But, isn't that we are doing?" she finally spoke up. "Running, I mean. Isn't being wild, throwing away what we were and becoming what we are?" Her shoulders shrugged in embarrassment. "Well maybe not for you then. You're different. I don't know why but I can sense it, like the rabbit that knows the fox is nearby and going to catch her."

She extended her arms, still holding the egg, out to him. "Would you mind? I'm afraid I'll break it." A deep blush crossed her face but she kept her head held high for once. Jerec had done one good thing, reminded her of who she was before she met him. The wildness she found in him was something she had never seen before, it intimidated her, making a reckless, fearless nature turn wary and skittish. 'I am useful. I'll prove it. One way or another, I will show him that I am not as pathetic as I feel.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

Jerec drank a good mouthful of the bittersweet yolk.  It was not meat, there was no flesh to tear, no blood to savor, no bones to crunch solid.  But it was food and something to eat and after spending so long without food, Jerec knew better than to be ungrateful.  He looked at his companion.  It was good to see that neither was she, as she looked at her own egg.

Wiping his mouth he looked across at her again as she offered him her egg to crack as well.  Angling his against the wall to keep from spilling over, he tapped the tip of her egg as well until the shell broke just enough to let his finger though and kept the broken shell pieces from falling in, before giving back her meal.

"Yes, we're running," Jerec finally admitted after a while.  "But I don't think it's the same.  We're not running from who we are, but for our very lives.  Against people who want to destroy our way of life!  I've lived here since the day I was born.  Sometimes...I think you're like them.  You wear skins like them, but you're smarter.  You have the good sense to be wary.  I'm not exactly human.  I'm a wolf.  This is where I belong."  He finished the egg by them, savoring every last drop he could get out of it, before taking a handful of the smashed nuts and stuff them into his mouth, eating very much like an animal.

Once all the crunching and chewing was done, he took the trousers he'd turned into a makeshift sack and unknotted the ends before dusting off the part that held the nuts, turning them back outside in.  They were not too dry, but he put them back on anyway and  proceeded to cut a section of cloth around his calves, turning them into makeshift shorts with his claws, retracting them back when finished.

"We should eat as much as we can and get a move on soon.  I have a feeling we don't have much time before they come looking for us."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

Slowly the young one sucked out the treasure within the fragile shell that encased it. Never one to really like the feeling of the it sliding down her throat she tried to get through it as fast as she could stomach. The constant reminder that it was energy she would need for later helped her along.

"I'm nothing like them," she responded without her normal bite. "Aye I wear skins but for a different reason. It's the same with the dirt." Her head dropped in shame. "I felt that if I looked like the animal then I was the animal. I allowed myself to be lost in it because to be human was..." Ariel shuddered as she let herself trail off.

'A wolf huh? I wonder what that means. Does he have the wolf spirit then?' A smile unknowingly tugged at her lips. Brushing her hands off she took the cutoffs he had let go and quickly tied one end on each closed and made them into little bags which she filled with the nuts she could not eat. "Um Jerec? Do you want this back?" Ariel pulled at the front of the tunic she had taken from him, letting it snap back out of her grip.

It hung loosely on her form but was comfortable, making her a bit unwilling yo part with it. 'It smells like him. Safe and wild, I like it.' Slipping her damp pants on, she winced at the tightness she felt in them but tried to ignore it. Her shirt made her frown though. 'It's almost at its end. Good for thread but not much else. I'll have to try and get more. Ha! Good luck with that with no bow or knife. Damn those hunters, I'm going to kill them when I see them next.'

Ariel wrung out the last bit of water from it and wrapped it around her waist, tying the two little bags she had made at her hip. "I'm ready when you are. Any ideas on where to go?" She bit the inside of her cheek to say anything more. 'In other words Mister Leader I have no idea what I'm doing here. No, that's not true. I know what I'm doing I just-give it a rest girl. You're going to make yourself sick again.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

"He's a sorry sight, ain't he, Jon?  But he's a lucky bastard, for all the damage that wolf did to him.  Lucky to be alive.  Unlike Mac and Thom, eh," Elwyn said frowning at the sight of Emri lying on his back in one of the hunter's tents.  The man was stripped down, sweating buckets as he fought against his delirium and the tending of his half-bitten off shoulder.  The bite was as big as a human jaw and blood-soaked bandages covered it.

"No....no!  Don't touch me! GET AWAY!" he shrieked.  Emri pushed at another hunter that tried to pour water down the wounded man's mouth.  It took three other men to hold him down.  "Please!  Let me GO!  Gods....!"  He tossed his head back and forth, nearly breaking his teeth as he grit them.

Jon stood on the side, looking grim as ever.  His gaunt face was shaded, but it was clear there was something else on his mind.  Elwyn knew his thoughts by expression, even in the dim lantern lights of the tent.  Jon looked back outside before bothering to speak at all.  "That wolf should have killed him.  He might from infection, now.  Or worse."

"Worse?" Elwyn asked.  Jon have him a look that told him exactly what he meant and the rotund man nodded in comprehension.  "What ought we do about him?  The wolf I mean.  I never see one aside from the stories.  But to see one real up close.  You don't suppose, it's a full blood, do ye?  He can't be.  He was like half-man/half-beast.  I always thought all them werebeasts were shaggier.  Hairier, you know.  But maybe it's a good thing, he got away.  He might have broke out of the cage and killed us all."

Jon looked at his partner with a furrowed-glance.  "Let him go?" he scoffed.  "We're going after him.  And the girl.  They escaped together, and I doubt he'd let a meal as easy as she, get away so easily."

"After him!?  You saw what he did to our number!  He could easily kill us all."

"Not with these weapons."  Jon lead Elwyn out of the tent and back to his own before opening up a wrapped dagger he had underneath his cot.  It gleamed by lantern light, shone like gleaming moonlight.  "Silver.  You think I don't know the legends, too?  You want to kill a wolf-man.  You kill him with this.  The weapons we have now are pretty useless.  Sure it's iron and steel, but they don't cause much lasting damage.  Yes, we're going after him.  We'll melt down all the silver we have to make weapons just like these.  Gild our current ones if we have to.  Might even be faster.  But I'm not going to let a prize like him get away."

Elwyn appeared horrified for a good long moment.  He took a deep breath, looking flush in the lighting at the thought of hunting down a werewolf.  "How will we hunt him?  What do you expect us to do?  He'll kill us.  Even if we do manage to wound him with these silver weapons.  He'll get most of us.  And do you really expect the men to give up their hard earned silver to melt down into weapons?  Pah, good luck on that."

"This is our yearly hunting expedition, need I remind you?  We've all got plenty more where that all comes from.  And besides, imagine what gold ten times what they melted down we'll be rewarded with if we hunt down a bloody werewolf.  Dead or alive.  Better off dead, though, I imagine.  Now, go tell the men to get the dogs we have back at town.  We'll flush him out."

"Dogs?  Would they not be in league with him?   Hound for hound."

"Dogs are not wolves.  Lineage made them loyal to us not them. You forget our hunting hounds are trained to kill.  Not even townsfolk are safe around them.  And if they don't flush him out, we can use them as bait all the same.  Then we move in for the kill.  Take half the men with you, and tell the other half to start smithing pits for silver weapons, and recruit any more hunters you find in town with the promise of treasure beyond their dreams.  We'll catch our wolf soon enough.  Go."
____

Jerec brushed away the cold ashes of last night's fire, dashing them all around to better disguise their use.  Dusting off his hands, wiping them off his clean trousers, he was ready to exit the cave.  Glancing back at her, he offered a confused glance before looking at the shirt.  After some thought, he shook his head rather violently and said, "No, you keep.  I don't need it.  You'll get colder than I will.  Now, come on.  We should keep moving, keep them off our tracks."

Without turning back he exited the den , crawling on all fours for a while, scouting out the area for any sight of life.  He found none, save some movement of birds in the trees, an owl on a branch, swerving its head to survey them.  He motioned for Ariel to follow him before standing in a semi-crouched position, staying close to the ground.

As they moved, he thought of the layout of the land, keeping his mind to where the best place would be to hide, to evade if possible, and knew a few days travel further north of them was a river.  It was wide and powerful as tempest.  Perhaps if they could cross it, there might be chance of escape.  Pausing for a second beside a tree, he peered out to his companion.  "We can head for the river.  If we can cross it before they do, we could be free of them.  Is that a sound plan to you?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

"For someone with the least amount of brain between the two of us, you came up with a good plan," she teased with a smile. Ariel seriously nodded her in acknowledgement before heading off. As much as she just wanted to climb a tree and hide ther, her truce with Jerec kept her moving forward. Yet out of habit she kept close to the trees, ready to bolt and climb at the first sign of trouble.

They were headed back to the lake they had bathed in which was fed underground by the very river they needed to cross. Getting to the other side of the lake would only make them circle about in the end and still force them to cross the river further ahead. 'I need to make another bow soon. If we get ahead of the hunters I could do it later. So much for staying dry though.'

Jerec and Ariel were able to make good time back to where they started but she could not help but eel as if the hunters were right behind her, breathing down her neck. As she went to follow the lake's edge, the the bank beneath her feet sank and compressed. 'Tracks! The ground is too moist to walk on but, to narrow not to leave behind tracks.' Looking further back in the opposite direction and idea formed. "Go ahead, I'll catch up!"

If they have the hunting dogs out after us, this'll give us a few extra hours.[/i]' She ran down the bank, ensuring that her feet left depressions in the mood as she headed for a tree just along the shore. Up the trunk she went until she stood on the weakest branches that she dared to be standing on. There she removed the shirt she had tied around her waist and laid it on the granch close to the trunk as if someone was clinging close to the branch. As an after thought she ripped off the sleeves and tucked them into her pants.

In the distance she could almost swear that she heard the sound of unwary feet crashing through the forst. Ariel scuttled as fast as she could now out towards the water along the frail branch. Her hope was to drop safely to the other side and then meet Jerec at the end of the lake. But, a sharp crack of wood followed by a sudden drop sabotaged that plan.

Still holding tightly to the broken treebranch she used it to pull her back up to the surface. The opposing bank was a higher rocky surface, perfect for keeping the dogs from climbing it, bad for her as well. 'Now that was a brilliant idea,' her mind growled. She could hear them getting closer and prayed they could not see her, hidden amonst the foilage spilling down the rocks as she fought to climb. 'He's going to kill me for this.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

If Jerec was going to kill her for her foolishness, he wouldn't have a chance to do so.  Something was getting really wrong, really quick and Jerec's nerves were starting to get the better of him.  He couldn't admit it though, he just couldn't.  But he had a feeling that with the coming of night there would be more bloodshed;  and whether that bloodshed would be his or there's he couldn't be sure.  He knew one thing that he would have to conserve all the energy he could if they were going to get out of this alive.  Already, the sky was darkening with the fading of light and the moon was visible through the crest of the trees.  

Jerec headed around the lake, thinking he was followed by Ariel until he noticed she was no longer behind him.  He was almost on the other side of the lake until he saw her hanging from a tree.  "What the hell are you doing now?" he yelled at her.  She was lucky she was so far away from him now.   He watched in stock-stillness as the branch abruptly snapped and she fell down into the water below, clinging to the branch.

He cursed savagely, words that would make holy men blush.  Already he could hear dogs barking in the air.  Dogs!  He listened for just a brief second and already he could tell they were dealing with a pack of fifteen to twenty.  Possibly more.  Damn all gods, they just had to send dogs, didn't they?  A small pack he could deal with, they would be no match, but their numbers could easily overwhelm him.  The barks were getting louder, followed by hungry growls.  They were hot on their trail and closing in.

Jerec had two choices and didn't have time to even choose between the two.  He could run and get away.  The dogs would tear though Owlet like fangs through flesh.  Or he could stay behind and help her.  There was no choice.  Immediately he tore towards the bank, knowing he'd just wasted whatever precious time he had to escape on his own.  But he'd made a promise, to survive together.  She was a part of his pack even if he didn't want her to be.  The pack stayed together.

He jumped down into water and swam towards her, pushing against the drag of the current that went out towards the river.  He swam hard until he got close enough before wrapping one arm around her.  "Hold onto me!" he yelled.  "And kick!  Kick hard."

Already the dogs cut through the trees and he saw them close in on the edge.  They growled and showed all their teeth.  They skidded to the edge, hesitant to swim.  The alpha snapped at the ones at his side and began to lead the pack around the lake toward the other side.  Jerec swam as fast as he could to the otherside, powerful muscles cutting through the current as the other side was coming closer.  They had to make it to the other side before the pack.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

The hounds closed in on them rapidly. The moment Ariel touched land she was in a whirl of movement as she and Jerec both were attacked. The broken branch became both spear and club as she fought to remain standing. She knew from experience the second she lost her center and fell they would kill her.

Every strike was meant to incapacitate on the first impact so as to minimize her work. There was no room for error as she fought to get away. Every instinct screamed to climb but she refused to abandon her companion like that. 'I got us into this mess, I damn well will help get us out of it!'

Wishing to see how Jerec was faring, Ariel dropped her guard and paid the price for it. A sharp tearing sensation gripped her right arm, disabling the use of her weapon. With a growl she drove her arm further into the dog's mouth, chocking him as she punched his throat. He whimpered and howled as he was let go, soon to be replaced by another. This one she met head-on, actually shoving her hand into its mouth before it had a chance. Fingers pressed harshly on the roof of its mouth as her thumb pressed down on its snout.

Yet, despite her efforts, for every hound she chased off two took its place. She was not stupid to think she was even handling the majority of them. Behind Ariel they snarled and swarmed on Jerec, snapping and leaping at him to bring him down. 'What do I do? Think! What are a wolf's weak points? They are not much different than a hound's. Smell and sound. What good is that going to do me? We are only wasting time; the hunter's get closer the longer they delay us. We can't run either. I'm not fast enough and Jerec can't climb.'

A hound finally managed to knock Ariel to her knees and latched onto the back of her neck. It shook her about as if she was a piece of parchment, rattling her already concussed head. As she struggled to stand again, she could feel the others chomping down on her body, growling and biting. Yelling in aggravation and pain, she fought harder, striking blindly. One got too close and broke its jaw. Another earned a shatter hind leg.

In this fight to the death, the hunter refused to be the hunted. What felt like an age but was no time at all, the numbers dwindled until the rest finally drew back. "Run!" she urged Jerec, stumbling on shaky feet to where he still fought. They had wasted too much time and all because of her. Guilt would come later, right now the intent to survive was more prevalent.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

A hound did not have many weapons of war that a feline or a human might at their disposal.  These were not feral wolves.  But they were trained to be vicious and to fight to the death no matter how hard they were clobbered or beaten.  Yet, even that didn't make them immune to the pain.  Because he was the larger one between the two of them, Jerec took the brunt of the wolves as they leapt up on him.

He fought them off as viciously as they did him.  Yet where he swiped away one set of teeth he felt another latch onto him and attempt to break through the thickness of his skin.  At that moment, quite briefly, he thanked himself for putting on the trousers.  That was the last thing he needed getting ripped off.  All the dogs fought with were their teeth, for that was all a hound had at all.  It wasn't the size of the tooth that mattered but how it was used.

He felt his skin puncture on his forearms as he fought them off, clubbing them in his fists here and there, swiping and gouging where he could.  He plucked out the eye of one, and broke the neck of another, but their numbers soon had him panting for breath and exhausting his energy.  He was slowing down despite his adrenaline, and he punctured with holes along his arms, hand, and claw marks on his chest, and teeth on his sides.  One dog leapt for his neck, the death stroke attack.  He put his elbow up just in time, but he was knocked back several feet and almost lost his footing.  He cracked the hound in the mouth before gouging out another eye.

The pack was thinning with fleeing hounds, and Jerec could feel himself tire further with what dogs remained.  He heard someone tell him run and he whirled his head around to see that Ariel was still alive.  But she wasn't looking as if she was faring any better.  But he couldn't think of anything to say before his muscles answered her order.  He ran off into the forest, leaving her behind, instinct to flee after the fight kicking in full throttle.

He labored for breath, like a beast long since stagnant.  But he couldn't help it, he was losing a lot of blood.  He kept running and didn't know how long or far he ran.  The sky was getting darker, the moon higher, and his sight felt like it was getting blurrier.  He ran until he felt his chest was going to burst until he fell to his knees and leaned against a tree.  He looked behind him and all around, uncertain as to what he was really seeing.  "Owl!" he howled.  "Owlet!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

The first cahnce she got to run she took. Yet, even with all of his injuries, Jerec still ran much faster than her. 'To each his own.' At last she could give in to her instincts and climb. The adrenaline was steadily dropping in her system. She could feel her body creak and cry with each maneuver she forced it into making.

Exhaustion slowed her considerably, preventing her from keeping up with him even in her own element. It was his calling for her that spurred her own that last stretch though. Not as gracefully as before, Ariel fell more than jumped down beside Jerec. "I'm 'ere," she replied in a weary whisper.

Looking him over and noting his copious wounds, she resolved to tend to him before she did anythingelse. 'Good thing I kept these after all.' The little hunter tore the fabric of the sleeves she had salvaged, using them as bandages for the more severe of his bites. The thick sinew thread she put aside for a later use.

Ariel was entirely focused on the task she had put before herself, going so far as to ignore everything else that did not have to do with it. The flighty movements she normally displayed were stilled by the need for concentration and calmness.

"Rest Jerec, we'll move come daylight." Determined to be of use, she set herself up to keep watch during the night. Ariel sat with her side pressed against his own, sharing her warmth. Her hands kept busy as she watched for signs of trouble. Fingers cleared her precious branch of its offshoots and leaves. Once it was naked, she began the arduous task of bending and strengthening it. 'Seems I got my bow now.'

Ariel glanced over at her companion and sighed quietly. 'He came back for me even though it was my own fault that I got attacked to begin with. I only wanted to help but, caused more problems in the end. He must hate me. I'm just the runt that gets kicked out of the pack. I'm useless!' She pressed closer to him, feeling guilty for what she had done. Tears threatened to fall but she blinked them away rapidly. 'I will not cry. I will be strong!'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

The hounds were fended off for now, but Jerec didn't know how long that would be.  They wouldn't be safe unless they kept the distance between them.  Jerec's will pushed him to move, but his body had no power.  He was drained, almost completely, only having energy enough to breathe and deeply and exhaustedly at that.  He said nothing, only looked at Ariel as he caught his breath as she dressed his wounds.  No words were exchanged, but there didn't need to be.  There seemed to be an understanding between them that needed no explanation.

Jerec leaned his head against the tree, still saying nothing as she leaned against him.  Though he was warm to the touch, the wind gave him chills when it come into contact with the sweat on his skin.  He looked at her for a moment, his gaze with a slight look of bewilderment.  But in that bewilderment, deeper still within, he began to feel a newfound respect form for her.

Without saying anything, Jerec leaned forward and put his arms around her, hugging her close, tightly, almost possessively.  "Thank you, " he breathed.  He buried her head underneath his chin and turned his head to dig his face in her much cleaner hair.  Good thing he made her wash it.  Even after several seconds, he still did not let her go.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

For a moment the young girl did not know what to do. Held so possessively both scared and comforted her. She was not accustomed to being embraced and touched such. It had been so long since Ariel had felt things like that. Had it been anyone else she would have fought tooth and nail yet, with Jerec she felt safe and well-protected, as if with him no harm could ever come to her.

The tears she had been fighting to keep in place fell suddenly, surprising her with their moisture drops on her arm. Ariel watched in silence as they quietly began to accumulate. 'Why am I crying? I am not afraid. There is nothing to cry over, I am safe. I am safe. Jerec, with him I remember things I have craved and missed or never had. Why with him do I become so meek and complacent? I am not weak! I need to move away, I need to leave. This is not right'

No matter how much she coached herself though, Ariel did the exact opposite. She stayed where she was and even pressed closer, wrapping her arms overtop of his own as the tears finally subsided. Luck was with them on this one as the night remained without events and peaceful. Morning came quickly, much to Ariel's dismay. She was exhausted but knew they had to keep moving. "Jerec, it's morning. We need to move again," she whispered, watching the sun bleed pink rays up the horizon. "They'll be moving soon if they haven't already." Her hand moved to offer him one of the little food pouches. "Are you hungry?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]