Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Lighting of the Lake

Started by visualspice, November 28, 2012, 11:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Aella blushed the moment she was spotted, tucking in her lower lip to try to hide her smile, but the dimples were already there. Her violet eyes sparkled with mirth, and to answer his question, she was honest.
"Enough to witness you slaying the beast," she said, placing a hand over her lips in hopes to stifle a laugh, but a giggle still escaped from behind it.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Faolán's blush deepened, and for a moment he wanted to just sink into the ground. "...Oh." Oh Ansgar. He must have looked--and sounded!--like such an idiot! And all in front of a princess. Well, a duchess's daughter. Were they called princesses? Same difference, to him!

Shuffling his feet, he scratched the back of his neck and managed a weak laugh. "Ahaha...yeah. It's, uh...it's pretty dead now, m'lady! Dead as a doornail. Won't be getting back up again! So you've got nothing to fear!" he said, and pretended to nudge the 'beast' with the toe of his boot.

"Yup. Dead. So, ah, you don't gotta hide back there anymore. It's safe!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Aella's smile had grown sheepish, but it quickly brightened as his reply. She took a timid step into the room, observing him, then to the 'dead beast' a moment, before lifting her violet eyes back to his face.
"Do you mind if I wait in here with you?" she peered curiously over her shoulder towards the hallway she had just come from. It seemed her mother and that knight were busy. "I haven't much else to do, and it was fun watching you practice. I never have much time to watch how the knight's of Connlaoth practice, so if you wouldn't mind, I could sit quietly over here?" She gestured to one of the waiting chairs that sat off to the side of the room.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

"Huh? Oh, no, m'lady! I don't mind!" Faolán said with a smile, and it was true. Quite the contrary! He was thrilled that she wanted to hang around him, much less watch him. It made him feel interesting--and it was really, really flattering that such a pretty, important girl was even giving a simple backwater soldier-in-training like him the time of day.

Problem was, after all that swinging about, he was really starting to feel the effects of his training. His arms and back had grown sore and he felt awfully hot--though now he wasn't so sure how much of that was from all the practice and how much of it was from being in the same room as this girl.

He rubbed the back of his neck. "Ah...though if it's okay, m'lady, I'd like to take a little breather. But you don't have to go! You can stay and we can maybe...uhm...talk?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Aella remained standing, admiring the sweetness of his sweaty face. There was something about a man, even a young man, that seemed almost heroric when his hair was slicked in sweat, as was the clothes upon his body. At his words, however, she merely smiled and nodded.
"That would be fine. You must work really hard. I heard General Serenus is a very good trainer."

Rhindeer

"Oh, he is! I only just met him, and he sure put me to work!" Faolán said, beaming. "He sounds awfully smart and heroic. Really, I feel awfully lucky to have bumped into him, though..."

He ground the toe of his boot into the floor. "Y'know, I guess I have you to thank for all that. If I hadn't come to see the festival, I wouldn't have run into him. And then I got to meet you, too! Which is really pretty neat..."

visualspice

Aella blushed lightly at the comment, her smile still ever sweet.
"Oh, yes the festival." she looked away, tucking some blonde hair away from her face, before looking down at her feet, feet that were hidden behind layers and layers of skirts. Her cheeks dimpled as she tried to repress her smile, but it was there anyway.
"Yes, it was my mother's idea." She lifted her gaze, violet eyes going to him thoughtfully. "Do you plan to attend the lighting ceremony? It will be tomorrow night, after the moon rises. The whole town is encouraged to come to the lake.  I think it will be lovely. The lake will look like the sky, the floating lantern's like stars upon the water." Her eyes shined at the idea.

Rhindeer

Faolán nodded vigorously. "Of course! I wouldn't miss it!" he said, tucking a stray strand of hair behind his ear. "It sounds pretty amazing. Why, back where I come from, we sure didn't have anything like all this. Small village, ya know? Course, we also didn't have a lake nearby or anything..."

He winced, realizing how stupid that must have sounded, and continued on in an effort to cover it up. "Does this happen every year?"

visualspice

Aella smiled brightly at his enthusiasm. "I can't wait to see it. To see the floating candles will be heavenly. But it's all in honor to celebrate beauty. My mother always stresses the importance of beauty and the wealth within it and how it enhances our lives. It is a subtle thing, like a tree. It takes years for a tree to grow, but when we see it, if it grows just right, we are stunned by it. ANd some produce beautiful, sweet apples, while others, pears. They are all unique and beautiful in their own right, and this festival is meant to celebrate all such things. Though.. my mother.."S he giggled now, but then looked cautiously about, as if worried someone might over hear.. (like her mother) before she leaned in a bit closer towards Faolán and whispered, "Though my mother prides herself in the beauty of body above all else. She says it is very important for ladies to appear lovely, as it is our natural duty. We are to be lovely enough to catch a husband and then make beautiful children." She wrinkled her nose as she gave a playful smile. "While I believe it is all well and lovely, I think a mind should be just as beautiful. Not everyone can be born perfect. And beauty comes in many forms." But then she sighed, looking back over her shoulder again, her cheeks ripe with a blush before she turned back to the boy with a smile. "Though I am happy to be celebrating this. And I intend to celebrate it in my own way. I just hope my mother will allow me to purchase a candle. I'd very much like to participate, too, even, though I am meant to be participating as eh um... what would you call it? One of the beauties, I guess." She then realized she was rambling some and drew back, hands clasped before her as she lowered her gaze sheepishly.
"Will you be buying a floating candle, Faolán ?"

Rhindeer

Faolán listened to her description of the festival and the symbolism behind it, and he had to admit he was impressed. That was all so...well, deep. He wasn't much of a thinker himself, as he never really had time for it, what with training and even before it all the antics he got up to back home--didn't really give him much time to breathe!--but she was certainly right, and it was all really lovely, the way she put it...

Then she got to the part about girls making babies and looking pretty for their husbands and he gave a little shudder and a grimace. Eugh. That did not sound fun or pleasant at all, and once again he was reminded of how happy he was to be in the military.

Then came that final question.

A fierce, fiery blush rose to his cheeks at her question, and he pointedly avoided meeting her eyes and stared down at the ground as though it were the most intriguing thing there.

"Well, ah, I suppose it wouldn't be very fun if I didn't buy a candle and participate and stuff..." he said, voice trailing off at the end, before glancing back up at her. "I mean, that would sure be a poor sport thing to do! And you deserve lotsa candles! Er...I mean...well..." Ack! Subject change!

"So! Hey! You said you wanted to buy a candle! Who'd you wanna buy one for?"

visualspice

"Well, to be honest, I had a few ideas. I always thought of my mother as beautiful, I'd want to let her know that, but in the same thought, I'd want my candle to go out to the people." her eyes went distant, her smile broadening over the idea as she lifted a curled hand to her lips. "For everyone in this whole country makes the world work, like an intricate network. We all live here together, work here together, and make Connlaoth what it is. It's a beautiful thing to consider, even features like the forests and the mountains. Connlaoth in itself is beautiful. But.. I don't know.." she turned away, tucking back a smile and some hair as she clasped her hands sheepishly behind her back. "It probably sounds so silly. My mother says my ideas can be silly sometimes."

Rhindeer

"That don't sound silly!" Faolán said, frowning. "That sounds really, well...really noble! And really sweet."

And really selfless. Here he was tripping over his tongue around her and acting like some stupid boy, and there she was thinking about home and country and grand things like that. Gah. He really was a backwater country kid, but he'd lived all his life cut off from the big picture. Made since that a duchess's daughter would have to think about more than just herself.

Getting a little bold, he leaned in closer to Aella and lowered his voice. "Besides," he said, "it's not like your mum has to know, right?"

visualspice

Aella flushed over the idea. Not tell her mother? She was mortified by the idea.
"Oh! I couldn't possibly -norwouldwantto hide something like that from her. She would have to approve!" Aella said in a rush of words. "I mean, she would be standing beside me during the event after all. " She then smiled over the idea, still a bit uneasy over it as she gave a soft laugh. "She might be upset to realize I've done something without her permission, and that would ruin the meaning behind it."

Rhindeer

Faolán tilted his head, frowning. "But why wouldn't she approve of something like that? It doesn't hurt nothin'..."

visualspice

Aella only stared at him. She wasn't entirely sure how to answer, and because of it, her cheeks gave way to a blush. She dropped her gaze.
"I.. well, it's just my mother does not like me doing silly things. As a lady, I have to maintain the way a lady is perceived." She shuffled about, still uneasily over the question as she idly rubbed at one arm.

Rhindeer

Faolán gaped. He had found his own parents overbearing, and had always been rather rebellious in their eyes, but compared to the way Aella described her mother? They were tame. Sure, they had a lot of expectations for him that he didn't want to fulfill, always dreaming of something different, something greater, forging his own path and all that. And sure he had always felt stifled--there had been many an argument and a many a switching as a result.

But what Aella described?

It sounded utterly joyless.

"But...you're just..." She didn't look much older than him. He shook his head. "Are you allowed any fun?"

visualspice

Aella blinked. She wasn't sure how to reply to such a question. It seemed absurd. So after a time, she closed her eyes and gave a beautiful smile and laugh.
"But of course. This morning's festivities were quite fun. My mother has a lot of wonderful ideas. We get to travel a lot, all over Connlaoth, so I get to meet a lot of interesting people."
but when they weren't traveling...
well, the boy hadn't asked about that.

Rhindeer

That still sounded an awful lot like things her mother liked to do, and Faolán found himself feeling increasingly baffled and horrified--and frustrated for her. She didn't seem able to say a thing without mentioning her mother! And that her mother might not even let her participate in her own ceremony, and instead was going to make her just be one of the 'beauties', was just absurd! It was her ceremony! She should be able to celebrate it her way!

"But...but what about you?" he said, and by then he had completely forgotten his place and completely forgotten exactly who he was talking to. He had forgotten that this was a duchess's daughter; right then, she was just a girl no older than him. "What do you like to do? Just you. Not your mother."

visualspice

Aella was baffled as well. His question made her stare and grow silent. She didn't know how to answer him, and suddenly felt a bit uncomfortable over it before her mind fluttered towards things she did when her mother was away.

"Well I er... I'm with my mother a lot. It's that she cares for me, and we are close." Or so she felt.
"But when she's not around, I do enjoy reading, or walking around the gardens. I practice music. I'm very good on a piano or the harp, though my mother says I need some practice. And I do love going for a stroll, though most of the time my mother likes to come with me. So I rarely have to go n those alone, though when I do, it's normally in our gardens. And sometimes I do like to paint..."
Though she trailed off on that thought, realizing she hadn't painted any more.. because of her mother.

Rhindeer

"Oh..." Faolán furrowed his brow. Maybe it was just because he was uncultured and whatnot, and maybe it was because he didn't know the first thing about playing an instrument or how to read, but...

"That sounds awfully lonely," he said, because those all sounded like the sorts of things one did on their own.