Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Thanks for the crown. Enjoy your Pig.

Started by visualspice, November 29, 2012, 04:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Gherrick's expression went flat as he watched Beatrid leave.
"But.."
and she was still going.
"But..." Yep, she was practically out the door.
"Since when did people make claims on criminals?" he added lamely, his hands sliding down the cell bars as he sighed.
"What if I conned you out of it with the promise of cake?" He gave her a cheese grin. "I heard they have a lovely cake shop in Uthlyn!"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Beatrid wasn't listening to him as she walked away from him, steeling herself and forcing down her fear. This was crazy. This was suicidal. And Gherrick was right--he'd gotten himself into this mess, hadn't he? Innocent of murder or not, decent-seeming as he was, he was a criminal, and the consequences were his to reap. She could just keep walking, leave him be, go to sleep, and sleep in. Miss the execution. Wash her hands of the entire thing and take penance at the church and pray it washed away her sins.

Was one life worth throwing everything away?

Yes. Because it wasn't just about his life, but about her principals.

She would see that justice was still served.

It was easy enough to steal the key. She made some distracting banter with the guardsman out front, and in the meantime slipped it away and up her sleeve. She felt utterly filthy as she did that, but reminded herself it was necessary, and after getting some water--the excuse she'd made up--she returned back inside and took her seat back on the stool.

The guards would be changing out soon. And right now, they were rather relaxed. Gherrick was the only prisoner here, and they were bored. It would be easy enough.

She reached through the bars and, casually, let the key drop into a small pile of straw, muffling the sound of its fall.

"There," she said. "I'm going to be leaving soon. Wait ten minutes after I go, and then...well." Her eye flicked toward the key. "Do what you will with it."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

The moment Beatrid had left, Gherrick began to sweat. If she thought she was tormented over this execution, Gherrick's innards were doing flip-flops and tying themselves into triple knots as his guilt levels began to escalate. SO when she returned, his now greasy, sweaty hands squeaked down the cell bars as he looked back at her, sighing with relief when she seemed unscathed.
But then she approached, and he noticed something shimmering when it dropped. ANd he knew exactly what it was and didn't have to look at it, his eyes keeping to hers as they shined questionably.

"But what do I do or say to thank you?" he said, but then thought of something right quick and grabbed a handful of straw, grunted a few times before handing out a small, simply crumpled version of a folded bird.
"A dove." he siad, smiling crookedly. "A sign of friendship and peace." And he bowed to her humbly, like the forgotten prince that he was before his blue eyes looked back up onto her. "May the light of the day child watch over you always, Beatrid." Ad he said it so serenely, that she might not have noticed when he slipped back into his playful, boyishness, "Oh,a nd thanks for the key." And with that, he gave her a cheesy grin as red hair spilled over his eyes in a handsome mess.

"I suppose this might be goodbye?" for fat chances were, once he was out of here, they might not ever meet again.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

With a crooked half-smile, Beatrid finally accepted one of Gherrick's straw creations: the dove. Why not? To reject it would be to reject the sentiment behind it and even if she didn't consider them friends, she appreciated it as a token of peace and thanks.

"Hmm...pretty," she commented as she held it in her palm, for lack of knowing what else to say. She was never good with sentimental shit to begin with; it was painfully awkward. Combine something that already came to her awkwardly and apply it to a strange situation like this and she felt completely at a loss, especially since part of her was still wrangling with this choice and whether or not it was the right one.

It sure as hell wasn't the lawful one.

She rolled her shoulders back and glanced up at him. "Thanks. May Ansgar show you the way," she said, and with a deep breath she rose to her feet and stretched.

"Don't get too ahead of yourself, though. You are my prisoner, remember?" She glanced back toward the door, then back at him. "So I'm not going to bother saying 'goodbye'."

And with that said, she turned and left the building before she could lose her nerve and take back her decision.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

His eyes kept upon hers until Beatrid was long gone from sight. Then, before he lost his own nerve, he reached down into the hay and drew out the key. Examining it for a good long while, he sighed. Then holding his breath, he waited to hear if anyone was coming before slipping the key inside and unlocking the door. Drawing in a breath, he steeled himself before slowly pushing the creaking door open, then once he was outside, he made no hesitation to sneak down the path. He'd need to get his bostaff- the only thing he would want from the guards, so he headed towards the room they were stationed in and peered in curiously. It seemed they were tlaking amongst themselves, and as he looked, he noticed his stuff in the corner. There were only two of them. He could take out two, right?

So he gave a knock at the door and waited, and once the man answered and gave a double-take upon seeing Gherrick, now smiling up at him, Gherrick replied, "Hey, so I was looking for my bo staffa nd realized it was in here. Yes, I do beleive it was that red one in the corner." ANd before the man had a chance to say a thing, Gherrick flashed his hands before the man's facea nd a flash of light blinded him. Wasting no time, Gherrick scrambled across the room, procured his bow staff and proceeded to beat the two guards until they were on the floor and lame.

Twirling the staff at his side, he then noticed the crown and picked it up wit the end of his staff and gave the pair of them a grin.
"Hey, thanks for the crow." then he slipped out of the window without a second thought- that was, until he realized how far up he actually was...

Rhindeer

Beatrid hadn't left the scene. The timing had been important for two reasons--it gave her a chance to get into position, and she'd timed it so that the guard would be changing out, which gave him a better chance of actually making it.

As she left the scene and headed for a copse, roughly 50 yards away, where she would be well hidden in the dark, she fought against her doubt. She could change her mind. She still had time. She could go back and change things. But this was the right decision, wasn't it? She was doing the right thing? A stupid thing, but justified...right?

She took up position among the leaves and bushes, eyes on the prison. No going back, now.

Everything was about to change.

That was when she saw it: movement atop the roof. Squinting, Beatrid tried to make out the shape, and--ah! No, it was unmistakably Gherrick, because she could see the shape of his bo staff. Something kept glinting in the faint moonlight, too, and as Beatrid narrowed her eyes further she saw that--no. No way. She couldn't tell what it was from this distance, for it was small, but there was only one thing she'd ever seen on Gherrick's person that was metallic like that and could catch the light.

Had he taken the crown again?

He would have had to go through some guards for that!

Slapping her forehead, Beatrid let out a low sigh and settled in to watch. He was going to have to get down on his own, for she dared not go that near the prison yet.

visualspice

And get down from the prison roof top he did. Though it took some effort, thankfully Gherrick was used to this sort of thing. Though it took a lot more time than he had hoped, by the time he had made it to the yard surrounding the place, the alarm was raised and the guards, racing about frantically in search of a red haired man.. and a crown.

Crouching down by a pair of bushes, Gherrick held his breath and waited for an opening, or any other sort of means to get out of the gate. This part might be tricky, but he supposed he was clever enough to find some sort of means to get out of here and it was as he was biding his time that he scouted the walls, seeking perhaps.. another way to be rid of this place than the ordinary and most boring route of just 'walking out the door'.

Rhindeer

Aaaand there was the alarm. Beatrid grimaced. That complicated matters, but they could still get out of here. They would just have to be fast and--

And there he was!

As she had hoped, he dropped down and went to crouch in the bushes, not far away. Glancing about to make sure no one was around that would see her movement, Beatrid stalked quietly through the bushes, moving from he copse and to the shrubs where he crouched.

Carefully she approached him, creeping up from behind, and then, when she was feet away from him, she lunged abruptly and grabbed him, clapping her hand over her mouth as she did so he couldn't make a noise.

"Don't make a fuss, it's me," she hissed in his ear, keeping her hand firmly in place until she was sure he wasn't going to blow their cover. "I'm getting you out of here."

visualspice

Beatrid would be able to feel his body jerk and tense beneath her arms, and his hot breath puffing out between her hand, but when he heard her voice, he halted and turned to her suddenly when he was able to turn around. He raised a brow quizzically at her and inquired in a softer, more whispered voice, "So... aiming to help a criminal again? I couldn't let you, my lady. You've already done so much for me."

Rhindeer

Beatrid rolled her eyes skyward and huffed a breath out her nose. "Would you shut the fuck up about that? What makes ya think you get to let me do jack shit, you ass! I--" Another deep breath, reining in her temper. "Even if I go back," she said, voice calmer, "I...they'll question us all, and I couldn't lie to them."

She was a terrible liar. And then, there was her conscience. She just couldn't.

"I'm an all or nothing sort of gal. So let me worry about me, and you stop trying to save me, and let me finish saving your sorry ass. We'll go this way," she said, jerking her head back through the trees. "There's a trench where the waste water runs under the wall. We can go that way. Quickly, before they bring the dogs."

visualspice

Gherrick smirked.
Ah, Beatrid, Beatrid. Such a strong and clever girl. THough he was wondering if it was his fault for making her foolish.

"Alright, alright, you can be my knight in shining armor again, my lady, but I think I'll owe you more than a few drinks after this is all said and done." And he followed close behind her, ever wary of the guards lurking nearby.

Rhindeer

Beatrid sighed as she lead him along, carefully, through the trees and toward the wall. "That's the best damned idea you've ever had. I'll hold ya to--"

She froze, a chill going up her spine and her heart lodging in her throat, because in the distance came the barking and baying of dogs. And the sound was drawing closer. They had wasted absolutely no time, but she and Gherrick may have lost too much time here. "Shit, they're here! Fuckin' run!"

It didn't matter if there were guards nearby. They had a better chance against them than they did the dogs, who by their howling were already on their scent, and who would tear them to pieces before they landed a blow. Grabbing Gherrick by the arm, Beatrid bolted, full on sprinting for the wall, even as the guards stationed atop it spotted them and cried out their location and took aim with their arrows.

visualspice

Stumbling in line behind Beatrid, Gherrick was quick to fall in stride, especially when his fear was heightened by the dogs.

"Well, this can't be good!" he called over his shoulder, and was quick to note the men with arrows. He cringed. "Why don't we avoid the arrows and dogs all together? I say abandon the trench and let's go up and over the wall!"

And before Beatrid might have a chance to protest, Gherrick  lunged forward, latching onto her waist and thrust his staff into the ground. Pushing forward and using the momentum of their run, both he and Beatrid were soon airbourne, he- having used his staff to more or less pole vault them into the air and soon they were flyng, and landing in a crouch upon the wall. Before then, the arrows had been loosed and the men now standing around them- were left gaping at the pair as Gherrick gave a smirk.

"Why hello there. Nice cross bow." And before the bowmen had a chance to respond, Gherrick whacked him hard across the face, then rammed the staff clean into the middle of the other man. Both were soon crumpled in pain upon the wall's inner walk. Taking Beatrid's hand he laughed and began to run.

"Come on! There's the ladder for the wall over there. We can climb down there then run off to freedom!" Or you know.. run off towards more trouble!

Rhindeer

"Are you mad as well as daft?" Beatrid snapped at him. "How the fuck are we supposed to go over the--"

That was when she noticed that the archers had spotted them. Her heart leaped and she had time only to think, Oh fuck! when suddenly Gherrick had her by the waist and, still running, did something she did not expect.

He planted his staff and then they were airborne, vaulting high into the air. She yelped, felt the breeze of arrows whizzing past them, and thought that if she survived this, she was going to murder him--and then, thud, they'd landed on their feet near the startled guards...that Gherrick promptly incapacitated.

Breathing heavily, Beatrid leaned forward with her hands on her knees, feeling a little shaky after that. Much as she was loathe to admit it, she and heights did not get along.

"I'm gonna fuckin' kill you, I swear to fuckin' God," she said, but had no time to recover, for he took her by the hand and they were off again, Beatrid desperately trying not to look down as they bolted for the ladder.

Eager to get down, she broke off from him and reached the ladder first, had a moment of dizziness as she approached the edge, and swallowed hard. Turning her back to the edge and dropping to her knees, she was aware that she no doubt looked ridiculous as she crawled back and stuck a foot in the rung, cautious and careful, and held her breath.

"Don't you dare laugh," she grumbled as she started to descend the ladder, getting her other foot in the rung and clinging to the wall's edge until she got the courage to let go and grab a rung. But once she started going down, it got easier, and she dropped down the last four feet and landed on the ground with a grunt.

visualspice

Once they were both down from the stone wall, he gave Beatrid a smirk.
"Not a fan of heights?" he asked, but didn't wait for her smart remark as he gestured for her to follow him as he bolted off into town.

Rhindeer

Beatrid cut him a dangerous look. "That stays between you and me," she growled, but he no doubt missed it, because he was already bolting off into town. Legs still shaking, she commanded them to cooperate as she took off after him, the shouts of the guards growing louder from the other side of the wall.

Catching up to him, she fell into stride beside him. "You even know where you're going?"

visualspice

"No!" he shouted back to her before he laughed. "But I'll just do what I always do!" ANd he paused before revealing it- "Improvise!"

Rhindeer

"You're fuckin' kidding me," Beatrid groaned as they reached the city streets, and she grimaced as some neighborhood dogs that heard their running started to bark. That...that was going to be problematic.

Grabbing Gherrick's arm, she pulled them both to a stop. "Slow down," she hissed. "And think with me here a goddamned minute. The guard's gonna lock this place down, you understand? Soon, if they haven't already sent word ahead. We got two choices and we gotta make one fast--we either book it out of town now, or...we find some place to lay low."

visualspice

Gherrick paused to regard her as he caught his breath, and at the sudden squeaking of a rat, his eyes went south- and found a sewer grate just beneath their feet. Peering back up at Beatrid, he gave her a boyish grin.
"After you?"

Rhindeer

Beatrid's eyes cut to the sewer grate, then back to Gherrick, and her lips thinned.

Again? What even was her life anymore.

"Gentlemanly a gesture as that is, I believe a true gentleman goes first here," she said, stooping to pop the grate out. "You know. In case there's a pile of shit at the bottom."