Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Troublemakers, yesh

Started by wolfie, December 17, 2012, 08:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfie

Findra was wandering around as usual. She was looking for some fun figuring maybe the village ahead might hold something for her. She liked causing trouble for others especially bigger than herself. She often sought those taller than her just to get a rise out of them. She loved to laugh and found human's were the best to laugh at.

She was about to hide when she heard someone close. She found it was just some human. She wasn't sure what the man was doing, but she figured she could cause him some trouble. Most didn't look for Brownies in a forest. It was like looking for trees except trees didn't have the ideas on how to harm Humans for laughter.

Fin watched the man and decided to drop an acorn down his back. She stayed hidden among the leaves in the tree high up. It took her a moment before she sent two down one down his back and the other hitting him on top of the head. She wasn't that graceful after all.

Wan

Adonai was making the slow trek from his cabin into the town of Zantaric.  He hated having to go grocery shopping, but he needed food.  It was unavoidable.  His last slave had been burned alive after distracting a troop of guards from Adonai's location.  He was a good slave.  Unfortunately he was the last one that Adonai had at hand.  Now he was in the market for another one, but having a hard time finding one worth a damn.

Until he had a new slave he would have to do such trivial things himself.  But it was irritating.  Even something as simple as walking through the forest had irritating things to add to it.  Like an acorn falling on his back.  How irritating.  A second acorn!  Is the forest out to give me a hard time tod- he thought when one landed on his head.

Adonai stopped walking.  One acorn was a natural occurrence given the time of year and the abundance of creatures moving about in the branches.  Two in a short amount of time could be chalked up to a heavy squirrel.  But a third one...now he was suspicious.  Most people wouldn't be suspicious, but Adonai had made a life out of paranoia.

He looked up into the tree branches, seeking something that aught not be there.  "Where are you..." He whispered, his yellow eyes glaring at the forest canopy.

wolfie

Fin was delighted to see him react to her acorns. She was hiding among the leaves doing her best to blend into them. She had on a matching shirt and pants that would make it easy to mistake her for a leaf or a few of them.

When he looked up she froze. The last thing she wanted was a Human to catch her high among the trees. It was bad enough with bigger things like birds, but she knew how to handle them. She had ridden one or two before when needed. Birds were only useful for things like that they couldn't make her laugh like Humans did.

What should I do to him next? Definitely should follow him nothing like this Human. He's a little smarter than the rest still looking for me. He'll get bored and move on they always do. She thought careful not to breath too hard. She didn't want to give her location away. It would take all the fun out of it if she was caught this early on.

Wan

Adonai's eyes slowly and methodically searched the trees above and around him. Branch by branch, leaf by leaf.  Unfortunately, he could find nothing.  Not a single indication that something was out of place.  "I'm onto you." He spoke to the nothingness above him before turning away.  He took two steps towards the town of Zantaric before melting into his own shadow. 

Among the shadows of the trees, he was all but invisible, and he moved with great speed through the foliage, dashing over a hundred meters before reappearing as a whole being again. He grinned beneath his black scarf.  Whatever had been following him would need to move fast to find him before he vanished into the crowds of the town.  Speed was haste, and haste made waste.  If his acorn assailant decided to follow him, he'd be able to hear their approach.

wolfie

Onto me eh? Yeah right. Fin thought still keeping absolutely still. She sighed relief when he disappeared. She then realized he was gone and not something she could follow easily. She shook her head saddened by this. It meant her fun had ended for the time being.

Fin got down from the tree taking quite some time to do so. She knew where the being was headed deciding maybe it wasn't a Human she was pestering. That made it all the more fun now she had to track the being down instead of just follow it. She was used to tracking and pretty good at it too. Once she set off away she went.

Fin reached the town, but the sun was starting to play peek-a-boo with the horizon. She knew that whoever she was chasing might no longer be in the town. She figured she would take what she could and seek whatever mischief she could in this place.

Luck was still on her side though. She found him again among the rest of the townspeople. She smiled and decided to wait until he passed by. Once he did she hopped a ride on his shoe doing her best to hang on without him knowing she was there. It wasn't hard considering how tall she was.

She wondered how she could pester him just then. She noticed one of the shoes he wore had a thread at the top. She carefully climbed and pulled out an arrow. She shot it across into the boot making sure it didn't hit him in any way. Sliding across she pulled the arrow through and used it to go back and forth using the arrow to sew his boots together. She eventually had enough that his next step would send him to the ground. She got off before that happened though and carefully found a nice hiding spot to watch.

Wan

Adonai halted a few paces from the edge of the forest.  He closed his eyes and listened.  Nothing.  Nothing save for the sounds of nature and the sounds of Zantaric before him.  They're gone, for now. he thought.  Who had been in the forest? What was their game? Their goal? Their purpose.  Nothing was random and nothing was chance.  Adonai had lived too long, far too long, to believe in chance and coincidence.  There was a reason.  There was always a reason.

But for now he was left alone.  He had groceries to purchase and he couldn't waste time analyzing the little thing.  Not without being paid for doing so.  So he continued his journey into Zantaric.  A few of the local greeted him in passing; those who he did business with on a regular basis.  The tailor, the carpenter, the common tradesmen who made their living off of the day to day needs of the people.

He was on his way to the grocer when he felt a soft tug at his robe. He glanced down, seeing nothing.  Then he felt an added weight to his foot.  Being an old man, a few extra ounces were noticable to him.  Whatever was on his shoe was heavier than a couple ounces, but it was small.  Something small and fast...something that would be good at hiding in the forest.  Something that would be hard to detect.  There was a better than twenty percent chance that whatever was currently jumping from one of his feet to the other was also the creature of interest that had harassed him with acorns earlier.

He felt another flutter as his cloak was lifted for the creature tod epart.  He glanced in the direction of the tug on his cloak and glimpsed, momentarily, the left leg of a Brownie as it hid behind the corner of a building.  Then the tug at his ankles distracted him as his center of gravity shifted and he began to fall forward.

"Damn" he muttered as he extended his arm to catch himself.  He was old and slow, though, so he only managed to divert some of his falling momentum with his elbow and roll a few feet to the side rather than catch himself from falling completely.  He tripped two other pedestrians walking along near him as he tumbled.

"Apologies," he offered half heartedly as he lifted his cloak to reveal to himself and to those scowling at him his bound ankles.  "Hmph," he grunted as he worked on untying the threads  to free up his legs.

wolfie

Findra couldn't help but laugh when she saw him and the two others go down. It was better than she planned. She had no idea he knew she was there there was no way she could have. She was having a good time and that was what counted to her. She wondered what she could do next to this guy. She wasn't sure why she had such an interest in him, but she did.

Scurrying around the road careful to be not noticed and to not be trampled, Fin made it to the roof of the building across where the guy was untangling his feet. He would have to pass under her by her calculations. She would be ready again. Some leaves and stopped up some water in the rain gutter. She saw her chance and thought this was lucky for her.

Fin got up in the gutter carefully making sure she wouldn't be washed away by this one. She knew that would be a sure fire way for her to get caught if she came down on his head. That would ruin all her fun. She waited for him to be waltzing under her and at the right moment released the leaves sending the water down upon him.

She didn't bother looking this time. She didn't want to be caught. Carefully she raced across the gutter and slid down the opposite pipe to get back to the road. Little did she know what would be waiting for her there.

Wan

Adonai had a bit of trouble freeing his feet, but once it was taken care of he was helped back to his feet by a kindly citizen who simultaneously tried to pick pocket him. The reward for such trechary masked with kindness was a broken wrist; Adonai's fingers wrapped around the man's wrist, squeezed and twisted while simultaneously pushing in and upwards.  The tendons snapped and the bones seperated with little effort on Adonai's part,and the man was left gripping his wrist and trying not to cry out in anguish; doing so would basically send out an invitation for the vultures in Zantaric to strike.

He ventured to the corner where the Brownie had vanished, but of course it was long gone.  It probably wasn't gone far, however.  If his hunch was correct and the Brownie had been responsible for the acorns in the forest and for binding his ankles mid-stride, then it was likely nearby plotting another attempt on his life.

Time to counter-plan Adonai thought as he continued on his way.  He kept himself alert and tense, waiting for something- anything- to tip him off to the Brownie's location.  An odd set of footsteps to his left?  No, just the boy with clubfoot.  A shuffling walk to his right?  The old man with a crutch.  Light footfalls above him? Just a cat.

A small deluge of water cascaded down onto Adonai's head.  He was ready for it though; the first sounds of water flowing through the gutter reached him before the water did.  He ignored the cold of it splashing across his hood and kept listening.  He could hear footsteps running along the gutter; the small rattle of metal. 

Adonai once more went into his Shadowisp form and darted to the end of the building.  If the Brownie tried to jump to the next building, he would be able to observe it in the air and continue pursuit.  However, it slid down the pipe a few feet away from Adonai.

Drawing a knife, Adonai threw it at the Brownie.  The blade and handle were as tall as the Brownie when it landed an inch in front of her, the blade dug into the ground.  If Findra was surprised by the appearance of the blade, she'd run into the handle and it would feel like it was a lamp post.

Adonai walked calmly towards Findra.  "So, you're the acorn fiend." he said.

wolfie

Findra was having a good moment until she hit the handle of that knife. She hadn't felt this hurt since she fell off that flower a few years ago. She was dazed and slid off the handle hitting the ground. She thought she saw stars. Shaking her head she tried to move past it.

She was about to hide when she heard a voice. Looking up she carefully got to her feet and knew there was no use in it now. He had her, and there was little chance that she could continue her fun. She scowled watching him. He was fast, and she knew it. He had proven that earlier. It took a moment before she realized what he was saying.

"What happened with an acorn?" She asked trying to appear innocent. He couldn't prove that was her. He hadn't said anything about her linking his shoes together. She was glad of that even though he couldn't prove anything except perhaps the water. Even then she could say it was an accident and she hadn't meant for him to get wet. Everything was easily explainable. Anything else she could just deny. It worked for her.

"I have places to be things to do. Be seeing you," she said hoping escape would be that easy. She had a feeling he was going to make it more difficult. She brushed herself off and started walking down the street as if this was normal for her. On the inside she was freaking out. Nobody had caught her before.

Wan

Adonai looked down at the Brownie.  He paid close attention to her hands and to her face; the two places where lies could be scried.  She merely scowled at him though, and that was no certain indicator that he had guessed the truth.  It was an ambiguous expression that could be admission to what he claimed or could be irritation to a false accusation.  Naturally, she tried to shrug off his claim.  Again, not an indicator of guilt nor innocence.

He took two steps- his strides far longer than hers, naturally- and was in front of her again.  "I believe you know quite well what happened," He said softly before crouching down to get a little closer to her level, though still several times taller than her, "You moved quickly and quietly through the canopy of the forest and tossed acorns at me.  Due to your clothing and your size, you were very difficult to detect, even if I weren't decades beyond my prime.  You managed to follow me into the town and tie my shoes together, escaping almost without detection.  Then you poured water on my head.  You're a sneaky, stealthy little trickster." As he spoke he drew a knife and held it loosely in his hand, the point aimed for Findra.  "And I think I'd like to offer you a job."

wolfie

Fin didn't like the attention he was giving her. She wasn't much for any spotlight. He didn't let her leave like she had hoped and knowing he was fast it was useless trying to escape. She wasn't dumb just trouble. He crouched down to talk more to her level she hadn't expected this. He was still accusing her. She sighed and shook her head.

"I'm telling you I have no idea what you are talking about. I just happened to be here and if I sent any water down on you it wasn't intentional. There was a bug drowning I had to do what I could to save it and releasing the water worked," she said the lie something she was used to. One simply didn't like being caught in their actions especially her. She had fully meant to get him wet and was glad she had succeeded.

"Believe what you want," she said shrugging again knowing she couldn't change his mind. She did like his compliment glad he noticed a little. He caught her off guard though. She hadn't expected the knife being in her face. She stood very carefully not wanting to be harmed.

"A job? What kind of job are you talking of?" She asked her curiosity getting the better of her. She sighed not sure she liked the idea of working for this large man. All she had wanted was a little fun, unless this job provided that she had a feeling she would be turning him down. She was getting sick of one thing though, "do you mind pointing that elsewhere?"

Wan

Adonai ignored the lies that the Brownie was spouting.  He honestly didn't care what she had to say to defend herself; but the fact that she could lie quick on the spot was only a plus for her in his eyes.  If she accepted his proposal she may very well need to utilize her lying abilities to a greater extent than she has before.  But money tended to get people to do things they normally wouldn't do.

"Hmm, I think I'd rather have the blade here," Adonai said, "To make sure you don't go elsewhere.  The job of which I am speaking is the clandestine style of job.  As I said, you're small and sneaky. I'm sure you have experience sneaking into places you're not wanted without anyone knowing.  Have you ever considered capitalizing on this?  Rather than, say, pranking poor old men, perhaps you sneak into a building, hide in the rafters, listen to what a bunch of rich and important people are saying, then come tell me what they said and, in return for your efforts, I provide you with your weight in copper or silver?  Perhaps gold if sufficiently earned."

The carrot was dangled, so there was no reason to keep the knife out. He stood back up and the blade vanished into his cloak.  "If that sounds interesting, come with me," he said, lowering his hand so she could jump onto it and climb up to his shoulder.

wolfie

Fin listened to what the job was. She thought for a moment watching him. She was relieved when he removed the blade from her face. It made it easier to move let alone think. She sighed.

"Yes I suppose I could do that, but what would really be in it for me? What would one like myself do with silver, copper, or gold? I have no use for those in my world," she said looking up at him. She wondered what trouble she would be causing by helping this man.

"It does sound a little interesting, but not enough. I'm in life for fun not riches. What mischief can I cause by doing this?" She asked showing her true colors on this. She stayed where she stood instead of jumping into his hand. All she saw there was a trap.

Wan

Adonai was surprised by Fin's interest not in money but in mischief.  This could turn out to be even more profitable than he had thought.  He withdrew his hand since the Brownie was smart enough not to trust him and took a moment to consider her question.

"Hmm, mischief is what you want, yes?" He asked, "What forms of mischief are most appealing to you?  Tripping up old men or starting civil wars? Tossing acorns at passers-by or causing the abrupt end to a marriage?  Spilling water onto someone's head or causing the death of a king?"  He asked.  Whether she enjoyed minor feats of mischief or massive mayhem, he would be able to tantalize her further, though what he might get in return could vary significantly.

wolfie

She listened to what he said even saw that he removed his hand for her to leap into. She was small not dumb. Some of the larger ones forgot that at times. Fin gave it a moments thought wondering why he would do such things. She understood why she could cause such it was fun to her, and then thought maybe he got his kicks the same way.

"Death is not fun means I can't keep tormenting someone. Yes, I like mischief and you can't prove I did anything to you," she said then stuck her tongue out at him. It was natural behavior for her no matter what her age was.

"As for ending someone's marriage, yeah I could do that only to further torment them over the years with it as well," she said knowing what she would be doing. She had a lie, but it wasn't that thick.

Wan

"Well then, I think we can come to an arrangement." Adonai said with a smile.  "I can provide you with people to inflict mischief upon, even provide a few details about them so as to maximize your efficiency at causing them misery.  I could even assist you with travel if you wish.  In return, I ask only that you do a few tasks while you're out.  Eavesdrop on someone, obtain a ring or a necklace, little things that would be much easier for someone of your size, skills, and youth."

He pondered his own words for a moment before nodding.  "Yes, that sounds fair.  We can discuss details over a drink, if you wish," he gestured down the road towards a tavern, "My treat?"

wolfie

Findra was listening now. She liked what she was hearing so far. He seemed to be understanding who she was a little more with just the little words given. She wondered where she would be standing just then if she hadn't bombarded this guy with acorns and water. It seemed like her day was just getting better and better.

"That drink sounds like a great idea. I like what you say now people who I can torment," she said smiling now. She wasn't sure if she wanted to travel just yet. She knew there would always be something he would want in return that didn't bother her. She did like that he noticed she had skills. It wasn't every day someone complimented her on her talent.

"I like your treat as well. I don't know I like you getting to know me so well though," she responded and started walking down the way toward the tavern. She hadn't been in one before wondering if she would be kicked out not only for her size but for being a female. Fin wasn't sure if they would even serve to her, but she figured that Adonai would stick up for her if needed. She was seriously thinking about his offer. Nobody had given her much of a thought before let alone such a sweet deal.

"So what's the catch?" She asked not sure if he could hear her from her height to his.